Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• nabzynabzy Member Posts: 29
  • dt77dt77 Member Posts: 232
    I did a paper on bi-xenons recently. I did confirm with my dealer that the CL had bi-xenons. My phone call did get tossed here and there. And someone at the dealer did confirm...but still, I'm not entirely confident that they do.

The other car in the US that should have them is the Porsche 911 turbo. Again, it was a teleconverstaion reference I obtained, and again, still not 100 % if they have bi-xenons either hehe..

I also read somewhere that the new Passat's bi-xenon option will not reach the US.

Robert, when you dad had the CL, yer pretty sure you didn't have bi-xenons huh?

dt77
    The 2001 CL catolog says the CL has xenon hid LOW BEAM and halogens for high beam and fogs.

dt77
  • gss5gss5 Member Posts: 1
    Here's a link that talks about the 2002 ML. Basically it's the same stuff already mentioned here on the forum but there is a pic. http://mbspy.bacosys.be/w163fl.htm>

Gurneet
  • thor3thor3 Member Posts: 120
    The door handles will be similar to our current day ML's There is perhaps a bit more chrome on the handle of the ML55 but I can't see it (Drew might expand on this). But not color coordinated door handles.

The Bi-xenon lamp has basically a single xenon bulb but one that has a "reflector beam defector" (nice term : )) that moves inside the housing and thus gives the bulb a different beam pattern depending on its position. There is still a high beam halogen bulb but the Xenon beam adjusts to give better high beam pattern when high beam is activated. So, the xenon bulb fills two beam patterns; one for high and one for low beam disbursement, thus the term Bi-xenon.

I know someone can do better justice on the above explanation than I just did...
    If I'm not wrong, the current ML55s uses a HID reflection system as opposed to a projector system for low beams. Halogens are reserved for high beams.

In a bi-xenon or bifunction xenon HID REFLECTION system, the xenon bulb is moved between two distinct positions within the reflector. This will yield two different light distributions for low and high beam. For high beam illumination, the xenon bulb will move and the light pattern moves upward and concentrates to form a central maximum region.

For a PROJECTION system, that's a different story. This system will utilize a shutter to switch between low and high beam functions. The bulb remains in a fixed position but a shutter moves between a defined position for low beam and another for high beam. While in low beam position, the edge of the shutter is positioned on the optical axis. To achieve high beam illumination, the shutter is moved along a radial curve downward - this enables the entire reflector surface to be utilized.

To my knowledge, if a car is equipped with bi-xenons or bi-function xenons, there will only be one light source on each side of the car for both low and high beam illumination. So I don't think there will be a halogen bulb for high beam.

dt77
    http://fullspeed.to/ml
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    Our CL did not have Bi-Xenons on it. I called the dealer and asked them about it and they too were confused!!

I think that it is be cause we had an early production number and the lights were not yet approved for the US market (or so MBUSA says), yet the sticker says it does. But our</> CL definatly did not have Bi-Xenons on it.

Robert
  • cavman2xcavman2x Member Posts: 26
    With summer approaching i am considering buying a cargo carrier for my ml320. I know i have to first get the MB crossbars. Has anyone got the either of the MB cargo carriers? Pricey? Would a Thule fit and if so how do they rate compared to the MB. I also have seen a grey sears X-Cargo. (Looks better than the white)I have never bought a cargo carrier but need one for trips to the beach for chairs and kid things. TIA
  • swelshswelsh Member Posts: 1
    Hi Drew et al! It's been ages since I read or posted and Wow! so many changes! Hope I'm in the right place. At least I see some familar names.

I have a 2000 ML320 and I'm due for my A service now. Any particular things I should be aware of or wary of? I had them change the oil to Mobil 1 about halfway to this service without resetting the FSS.

I have a bad dashboard clock that gains a minute a week. Last year they suggested I live with it because it would require replacing the entire instrument cluster including odometer, etc., which I guess is a pain. They said it might make resale harder because odometer was changed. I know others had the clock problem. Any experiences on getting it fixed?

Twice recently I've had a problem with the car not starting until I turned the wheel VERY hard. Once it took me 10 minutes of literally hanging on the wheel. Is this a known problem? I've had it on other cars but never to this degree.

I want to replace my rearview mirror with a compass mirror. Has anyone replaced their mirror (on a 2000) with the Donnelly or Gentex mirrors?

I need brighter headlights and back-up lights but I don't want to pay a fortune. What recommendations?

Whew! Sorry for so many questions at one time.

Sally
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A seriously old-looking SUV?

Link to NY Auto Show article and video clip.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • dleungnycdleungnyc Member Posts: 41
    I saw one 2 months ago parked outside of where I work. Even though the design might be old, it really stands out and grab you and you will have no trouble finding it in a mall parking lot either, I would think.

I was surprise at the somewhat compact size also, as I thought it would be more akin to the Landcruiser in size.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Yeah, we had some technical problems when Town Hall went offline for about 20 minutes at around 5:45pm, and a bunch of posts (starting from this morning) are missing from various Town Hall topics. We're aware of the problem and WebX is working on it.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Sorry to hear your story ended the way it did... we have a 1999 Ml430 and it has been great with only minor annoyances with 31K on it now. Extremely reliable and has taken us 3 times to Colorado from Virginia and 5 times to Ft. Lauderdale at speeds ranging from 0-105...never felt an SUV with this much power and stability... we've been in two blizzards can't say enough positive.

Had the fuel sender replaced twice because I knew there were newer parts... same for changing all the door and rear latches... rattles were the worst of it but now it is very solid and quiet.

I hope your X5 is reliable...I was reading the X5 forums for a while and there were lots of unhappy campers with some fairly serious problems.. steering linkage and such... I'm sure they've made changes to the newer production so hopefully your good to go.

The best thing is that the X5 is more car like with a lower center of gravity and should be awesome for dry and wet roads... you might miss the ML in the winter and or for the extra cargo capacity.. but the X5 wins hands down for detail and amenities.

Stop in and keep us posted on your BMW experience.. if they come out with a stretch version (long wheel base model rumored) we would be interested.

Take care - Frank
    wow. i guess there's systems like that which use an additional H7 bulb for low beam illumination. I wonder why they would choose to do that because wouldn't the light output for high beam would far exceed SAE requirements for high beam illumination.

My ML uses H7 for lows, H1 for high beam and H3 for fogs.

dt77
  • rockypaulrockypaul Member Posts: 104
    DO NOT change clock if odometer is part of project.
    In New york State you can not sell or turn in this vehicle without certifying mileage.
    At auction these vehicles go for one third less than wholesale.
    Obviously you won't care if you are leasing unless you have a large security or other deposit.
    This is a huge issue here in this state but I do not know of other states' laws.

Good luck.
  • mlevinedcmlevinedc Member Posts: 45
    What would having a large security deposit on a leased ML have to do with a warranty repair and wholesale value? The MSD is against damage and unusual wear ...or am I missing something? I am not in NY but I'd like to understand the point.

Mark
  • melvintmmelvintm Member Posts: 1
    hi! i am try to get this deal for the 2000 ML320, with pretty much everything, except the bose system, i want to know is the stock system sound good? and what do you think about the price $34900 with starmark certified? how's everyone like their's ML???
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    What's the mileage on this ML?
  • biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    Robert, If the sticker of your Dad CL show you should have a bixenon you should complaind to the dealer as well as to MB product customer service, telling them that you were not happy with it, why the sticker show bixenon but it wasn't there. It happened to me when I purchased my daugther a HOnda, sticker show 4 wheel disc brake but it didn't the rear is drum, then I complain for false advertisement, they refunded my two mos. pay to make me happy and a key ring too. BTW what year is your Dad CL? Nothing loose to try.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Rockypaul, I just had my clock changed on my 2000 E430. I was loosing about 3 minutes a month. I like everything to work perfectly on my car. I had the instrument cluster changed yesterday. The dealer can re-program your exact mileage so I don't understand why you say it's a problem. I have more of a problem with a clock not working correctly.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    Not to worry, its someone elses problem now. We sold it for a CLK55 + $$ :). The CLK55 is a more fun to play with. Not as pretty nor exclusive as the CL. But it is easier to drive around, and faster. The CL was more "executive" but I do appreciate the shorter wheelbase of the CLK55. My pictures are here http://www.exconde.com/cl500.htm

Robert

• whatwasthatwhatwasthat Member Posts: 23
    As we approach our ultimate buying decision, we would like to find out from people who chose the M-class what else they considered -- especially X5, MDX and RX300 -- and what turned the tide in favor of the MB.

Thanks
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    How about if you give us a list of YOUR selection criteria and priorities so we have some focus on discussing how they compare? :-)
  • ron320ron320 Member Posts: 9
    I took my 00 320 in for the first A service to my local MB dealer. Also asked them to fix the rear sear that was froze in the lowered position and rotate the tires. I agreed that I would pay for the rotation. The C class that was reserved for me was nowhere to be found when I dropped off my truck. Seems that the lady that had it couldn't find the time to return it. I was given a new SunFire by Pontiac as a free loner. I was impressed that I could put my 6'5" 260 l. frame in that little car. I wasn't charged for the rotation when I picked up the truck (nice touch). After about 40 miles of driving my truck I noticed that the front end was loose and was beginning to make all kind of noises. I stopped, checked the front tire and noticed two lug nuts were missing and the rest on the drivers side were finger tight. I called the dealer and after apologizing they sent a mechanic to fix the problem. I questioned the mechanic as to why he just tightened the lugs nuts (also replaced two) instead of jacking up the truck and tightening them. He said the wheels were attached to a rim so there was no need to jack up the truck. Otherwise I happy as no one was hurt and the truck runs fine. I just have this little doubt in my mind that one should jack up the truck since the nuts were so loose. Any comments?
    Nice shots of picture, it make me drool.:-)

regards,
    JIM
    The vehicle you are looking at is over priced!!! The current 2001's will be selling for close to this price very soon. The 2002 model announcements are very close and official information will start the discounts going on 2001's. If MB gives dealers @$2-3K to get rid of them this incentive will be passed on to you... If so, you would be able to take the current DEALER invoice price and deduct a couple grand. This would bring a brand new 2001 nicely loaded ML320 home for @ $36K. A much better deal than going used! If you have some time consider it or at the least let your dealer know new 2002 changes to the ML will certainly depreciate the current models significantly.

Other members on this board have already purchased NEW 2000 Models for less than a couple thousand more... with full warranty. Since you will be able to do the same soon on the 2001 models... think very carefully before doing this transaction.

Having said all this the price you are paying is very HIGH... It should be priced around $30K and still you really need to make sure this is the way you want to go if you could get a real good deal soon on the 2001's.

If you like the new features of the 2002 models coming and can wait you might want to consider this as well. Especially if you don't want to have your vehicle depreciate as quickly.

Good Luck and keep us posted - Frank
  • drmhfdrmhf Member Posts: 29
    My dealer offered me the 3 yr 100K extended warranty for $2,000. Is that a reasonable price? He also said that if I purchase it, but never use it they will refund the purchase price to me. Also, if I sell the 320 before 7 years or 100K miles, they will pro-rate a refund to me. Is this Mercedes policy?
    I just read the sky roof by wannabe4 Apr 09, 2001 post.
    My dealer also after taking a deposit called to say a sky view top wasn't available. It took him about a week of checking other dealers to locate two of them. I had to take some extra equipment (M2 and Bose), and a different color, but I'm picking mine up next week. By the way, I paid about $375 over invoice.
  • wnielwniel Member Posts: 97
    I agree with the earlier post. I had a new instrument cluster installed on my 2000 E430 and the new odometer was spun up to the same mileage as the old one, so there would be no problem in reselling the car.
    Wally
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    Regarding your incident - LOSE THIS MECHANIC!!!

First of all, tightening the lug nuts with the car on the ground doesn't allow for proper torquing, he's giving you a line! How would the rim be "pulled" all the way towards the hub???
    Secondly, you didn't mention a torque wrench at all (think aluminum wheels), did he use a simple tore iron? Bummer, this is a factory requirement!
    Last, but not least, aluminum rims are softer than the ones made of steel, therefore a loose wheel WILL with time work, mar, and damage the wheel's conical mating surface for the lug nuts.

In other words, remove the wheel yourself, check for damage, and if noticeable, demand a replacement. And did I mention to LOSE the mechanic???

Mad Tarik
    Your dealer is offering the standard MB extended warranty but I believe you can get 4 years as well but the mileage cap is the same at 100,000 regardless. So, if you would be over the 100,000K miles in 7 years you wouldn't need to get the 4 years (perhaps this is why they are suggesting the 3 year).

Anyway, there are other dealers who will discount this very same warranty and you could probably get someone here on the forum to cough up the name as long as you don't abuse the privilege. Too many times people talk and write about the discount and the dealer who offers it gets pressure to change back to full price.

If the ML is new you have one year from date of purchase (unless this has changed recently) to purchase the mentioned extended warranty. It is a good investment if you plan on keeping it for such a duration. Like you said.. it is transferable.. and can be prorated if you need refund prior to expiration.

Bottom line, your dealer is selling you, I think, full retail. You may want to ask Drew/Ken that follow this subject more closely to tell you the best deal...

Good Luck - Frank
    Wow, wat an Service A you just went thru.
    When I brought my ML for a nail removed at another shop (recommended by dealer), they jacked the ML up proceeded to remove nuts. His power torque wrench couldn't remove any of the nuts. I was like, damn ! they are on pretty tight huh. The ML has just gone for rotation a week earlier and the dealer's mechanic prob had them screwed on SUPER TIGHT. The guy had to get a normal wrench and had to use his (he look like 300 pounds heavy) use his weight to loosen them.

wat a contrast ai ? my nuts were screwed on too tight ! =)

dt77
  • itsuiitsui Member Posts: 15
    My 01' ML320 got 6000 miles on it. Should I wait for the factory service light came on or I should have the dealer change the oil with my own expense? I went to the dealer when the car has 3000 miles on it. But the service advice told me they don't suggest I changing the oil until the light came on. There reason is if I do that. It will mess up the computer in the car. Any comment ? Thanks a lot !!!
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    Exteneded warranties:
    DRMHF E-mail me and I will forward you information on a obtaining the MB warranty discounted.
  • alexg62alexg62 Member Posts: 2
    Long time reader, first time poster. I bought my MY2K ML430 about a year ago and now I am shopping for an extended warranty. Should I go with the MB warranty or try other companies? Does anyone have any experience with Warranty Gold or 1st source? My dealer in Eastern PA never dealt with them. Thanks.
  • mikestaleymikestaley Member Posts: 35
    Alexg62

If you have not already mailed sshowitt, for information, Email me.

I just purchased my extended warranty.

Mike
    Y2K ML 320 22K Miles
  • cticctic Member Posts: 291
    FSS A coming up soon. Should the tires be rotated at FSS A? If it isn't included and should be done anyway at 10K and I wanted to do it myself, how should the tires be rotated? TIA.
    Wat hap to the subject line ? oh well.

Those of your looking for a good bulb replacement that is whiter than stock h7s. Sylvannia Cool Blue might just be the one for you. I tried them a few months back and found out they were very similar to the optiluxes I had. So I returned them. But now, I don't have the optiluxes anymore, I decided to try them again.

After waiting for them to warm up a litte, they are definately whiter than the stock bulb. The name implies blue, but acutally it's more white. It's a standard 55W bulb and light output I would say is no less than stock H7s. Besides, Slyvannia says they meet legal requirements.

I have one comparison pic on my site in the gallery.

dt77
    http://fullspeed.to/ml
  • planomlplanoml Member Posts: 244
    How can you tell if a ML has been Off-road? I'm looking at some used MY2000's, and would be very thankful for this advise.
    CTIC,
    yes you need to rotate your tire, that is normal for every car anyway, the manual said it is free rotation for the first 12,000, but you might call your dealer first to find out. I did it myself if you like working on cars you can do it too. Since our tire is a regular radial, the rotation pattern is Left front to left rear and right front to right rear. The criss cross pattern is for the older car. hope this will help.
    WHERE IS THE TOPIC BLOCK??????????
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hi dt77 & biker5,

Gremlins are afoot related to our database problem of the last few days. The tech people are working on it--thanks for your patience.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • rjlimrjlim Member Posts: 30
    I hope this message will not disappear again. I would like know who owns an ML with "LING 2" plates on it. I would just like to know where he/she got the crome accents on the taillamps?

Thanks.
  • primitiveprimitive Member Posts: 20
    ML Cellular Phone Accessory

Does anyone have this option? I noticed that the option is a StarTAC phone that connects to the MCS. I assume that it uses the integrated microphone and car speaker system....but how does it connect in. Does the option include a cradle of some sort? Does it need to be the TimePort StarTAC.
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    rjlim - could the LING2 plate belong to our host Drew?

Primitive - ML cellular - needs to be the MB timeport startac. Others though have retrofitted theirs with other phones. But since you're talking about the options . . . it has to be the MB startac.

I would prefer not to have to use the MB Timeport. If there is a method of integrating another phone into the system, I would like to know what others have done since the MCS is all set up for hands-free usage now. (2001 ML320)
    primitive:
    Depends how you define "hands-free".
    The MB Timeport will let you pull up your address book and dial using the MCS. It will alaos automatically mute the radio when a call comes in. It uses the same mic and speakers that the TeleAid system uses.

One person on the M-Class list hacked another phone in using a 3rd party cradle. There is a wire for the mute function of the radio but used the speaker in the cradle and the mic in the ML. What you will not get is any of the other features above...

I really wanted to use the same mic and speakers that the TeleAid system uses (mic at a minimum). The other features are not important. I haven't mastered the art of searching for things on this board (there must be an easier way to search down to an individual post!)...I would like to find out how the hack was done or at leat get a link to the wiring diagram.
  • rjlimrjlim Member Posts: 30
    gpvs - thanks Glenn
    Drew, If I may, I would like to know where you got your crome accent of your taillamps?

Thanks
    The M-class mailing list info is at http://www.off-road.com/mbenz if you'd like to join.

The archives (searchable) are at www.escribe.com (search for M-class).
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Roger, that's my ML. I put on the chrome accents myself using chrome tape. You need to be careful what type you get since there are curves, and the chrome tape doesn't like to bend. It has held up well after about a year though, and the taillamps look "naked" without them, I think :-)

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards