Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• rhinoman1rhinoman1 Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in purchasing a 1998 or 1999 ML320. I am looking for peoples experiences with this vehicle. I am specifically interested in gas mileage and any recurring problems. Any help would be appreciated
  • ddykes1ddykes1 Member Posts: 13
    I had an interesting experience recently with my 99 ML320 which was in for an A service. At highway speeds (only) I had an intermittent rattle which sounded like it was coming from the dash - passenger side, but I couldn't isolate it. After a lot of trial and error the dealer was able to determine that the exterior vent cowl was slightly loose, causing it to flutter at speed, creating the rattling sound inside! Just back from a 2,000 KM trip for Easter weekend and the rattle is gone. If you have a hard to diagnose dash rattle get your dealer to look at this as a possible cause!
  • thor3thor3 Member Posts: 120
    rhinoman1,

The 98's were the first year production and although many are satisfied there were many growing pains for others. In addition, the 98's did not have all of the safety features of the 99 and newer models... Specifically, ESP was not in the 98 models... It is a very valuable addition.

Also, depending on what you are looking to spend you may want to consider the 2001 ML320's that will be discounted in the next month or two to prepare for the early release of the 2002 models. Remember, it is very likely you could buy a new 2001 for around $36K perhaps a bit less depending on the options and exact discount MB will be passing to dealers ($2-3K)... these would have full warranty and have all the bugs worked out for the most part.

Again, do not go for the 98's unless you get if for cheap and don't want the extra safety of ESP and such...

Good luck - Frank
  • dleungnycdleungnyc Member Posts: 41
    Saw a MY02 equipped M430 at the N.Y. Auto Show today. According to the sales rep, the MB entertainment system they are planning only plays VCR tapes, no DVD or T.V. tuner planned at this moment. Bummer.
  • dt77dt77 Member Posts: 232
    I have some new pics of my rear brake pads that were replaced a few weeks ago. It was just over 10,000 miles when they were replaced. Fronts were replaced earlier than that under warranty for squeal.

dt77
    http://fullspeed.to/ml
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Not much traffic in here lately! Have to get things going again ;-) Been busy lately, so I'll try to make it up this week.

To get things started...here are a few pictures of that elusive custom painted Magma Red ML55. One of these days I'll grab a picture of the front too, with its chrome brushguard. Note that the side ground effects have been removed and the area underneath painted. This is why sidesteps can be fitted.
    drew_ "MB M-Class Owners: Photo Gallery" Apr 23, 2001 12:14am
    The rep is incorrect (ha, big surprise, right ;-), there is a DVD player as well. Was it a '01 or '02 model? I would think that it's the former, based on what I've heard.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • robsutsrobsuts Member Posts: 18
    My dealership will not let me pre-order a 2002 MY ML. I've gotten some information from Kenyee on his experience. Should I look for another dealership or does Mercedes dictate the date for ordering? Any advise would be appreciated.
    Say, does anyone have MSRP's on ML-500s? Thanks in advance.
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    robsuts:
    Try a different dealership. They'll usually put you in the queue for the 02 models that come into that dealership and will call you when official ordering info is in so you can get a build#. Higher volume dealers get more MLs. If build is starting in July this year as rumored, the orders have to be locked down by June.
  • maabmaab Member Posts: 41
    I don't know how they designed a ML, but you can't put all your manuals in the glove box. Have any of you installed a lockable storage box (MB)under the passenger seat? Is it expensive?
    The only reason I noticed was the video screen in the second row of the M430. I was a tab confused and asked the sales rep whether this is a 2002 model or just an after market package. The sales rep's reply was this is a 2002 equipped 01 430 for demo propose only. It was the only M-class that they didn't allow anybody to get inside to "feel" it, heck, they even let people inside the ML55 and some jerk broke the overhead console. But the sales rep did open the back lift gate to let me get a closer look at the vid screen, from my vintage point, it looks like a 7" flip down LCD display located just behind the sunroof opening, and might interfer with the rearview mirror a bit even if the screen is closed.

As far as the interior goes, there seems to be a bit more wood trim around the dash, and a solid wood shifter instead of a leather one. But all this was observed behind locked door, so can't really get a good close look.

When I asked the sales rep about the entertainment system, she said its only VCR, with the player and control located up front(didn't specify where), no DVD or TV tuner capability, which I found kinda strange. As DVD player is smaller than VCR player and shows like Blue's Clue, Seasme Street and Teletubbies are out in DVD format already. 8)

BTW, camethisclose in getting a MY01 M-class, but better judgement won over and waiting for the MY02.
    I thought the lockable safe box under the front passenger seat is standard, at least those that I have checked out.
    maab:
    Don't bother getting the lock box if you want to put the manuals into it.
    They don't fit. They can actually get stuck inside, from 1st hand experience :-P
    Use the driver's side door pocket.
  • primitiveprimitive Member Posts: 20
    This is an update to my earlier post about valet parking damage to the side view mirror...
    I couldn't believe my eyes when I received a check for the full amount of the repair from the restaurant. I earlier spoke with the restaurant, faxed them an estimate from my MB dealership. Per the restaurant's request, I got the repair done and faxed them the repair bill. Two days later I received a check in the mail! I'm glad this worked out because the food is excellent..I'll just have to avoid the valet!
  • rjlimrjlim Member Posts: 30
    I installed an Eclipse 7301 w/c has a mute capability for cell phones in my ML320. I'm also using a Motorola Timeport from Sprint. I was just wondering if I can purchase a cradle for the Timeport, just like the option that MB have, so that I can integrate my cell phone to my 7301.

Thanks
  • rogertransamrogertransam Member Posts: 1
    In response to #2807, just had my '00 ML430, bought Jan '00, serviced, and the rear pads were (reportedly) worn out at 10,000. Service advisor sez that this is the first time they've replaced the modulator unit or something like that. The front pads are (reportedly) in good shape, and something was done to squelch the squeaking, and that was successful.

The only problem has been the dreaded dash squeak, which continues off and on. The money the factory burned on just that warranty repair is just amazing. I'm sure that if another $100 was spent on quality of materials/assembly, it would just pay and pay not even counting increased owner satisfaction. But since the bean counters can't count owner satisfaction, it doesn't count.

That said, the mechanical and technical package is typical Mercedes: world-class. The seats could be more X5-like, and that mapping thing is just silly when you consider what it costs going in, and to buy new discs, none with the small streets on them. Word for the day: DVD.

Sorry for the long post. Been lurking for 18 months, and it's kinda built up.
  • wedgebunnywedgebunny Member Posts: 14
    That squeak in the dash issue is similar to what I experienced. It always seemed to happen after the ML dash had been warmed up and on dry days. It came from the left side of the drivers wheel, near the door hinges. I also had a squeak around the command center on very cold mornings. They pulled the entire dash off, replaced the molding and insulation in both areas. (it also turned out that the insulation was interfering with the temp dial)

So far so good, but I was without the ML for 4 days while they pinned down the source of the squeaks. I must say Mercedes has been the best with taking care of me, but, I am beginning to get bored with this. It is not my first Mercedes and this is certainly not the first issue with my ML. Some may be aware they list issues by the alphabet, last visit I was up to 'Q'. And they pinned down all of them. I need to go back again so they can finish.

I have a 2001 ML320, I think the engineering is the best, but, the way they put together the passenger compartment is unacceptable for a maker of this caliber. It really baffles the mind.

I still recommend MLs to friends, but, with warning.
  • maabmaab Member Posts: 41
    Kenyee, if that is the case, what would you use it for? keys and maps? It just ain't right.

Right now I have owner manual(s) in the back pocket (driver's seat), and need to add StarTac manual. It's another book.
  • cticctic Member Posts: 291
    The lockbox is an option.

My manual fits in it without any problem, but the best place for the manual is in the garage since you're not likely to need it when driving outside. The manual is only a inch or so thick, the lockbox is at least 2 inches deep.

But the lockbox is pretty useless, it sits so far back under the seat that I always have to move the seat back before I can put anything in it. Good thing about it is the lockbox is so awkward to put stuff in and out of it that the thief will probably pull his hair out before stealing anything from inside of it, that is unless he just steals the whole car.
    maab & ctic:
    In 2001, they added a TeleAid manual. We get more stuff than 2000 owners. Other folks have said that the manuals fit in the glove compartment and lockbox, but they were pre-2001 owners.

Rogertransam:
    A general rule is that if a buggy product gets into the field, the cost to fix is magnitudes more expensive than fixing it before it leaves the factory. I'd be surprised if you find a beancounter that doesn't know this.
    That being said, the dash component engineers (I think it's made in the US) obviously screwed up the design or were not careful enough about it. It should never have these odd squeaks. My Integra's dash never squeaked like that in the 12yrs of ownership (the hatchback cover was an entirely different matter though :-(
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'm still not sure about their tour's dress code:-)

link

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • lqa1273lqa1273 Member Posts: 3
    does anyone know of any after market side steps that can be installed on a ML320 equipped with the Sport Package? The MB dealership told me (As well as the MB website) that side steps can not be installed on the M class with sport package
    they do fit.
    My MB manual as well as the MCS manual fit in the glove just fine.

dt77
    A few weeks back, my rear brake pads were worn ALMOST to the sensor. the light didn't come on, but the ML was in the shop for Service A, and the dealer asked me if I wanted them replaced. I went down to the dealer to see the pads for myself. ML had about 10,000 miles at the time.

dt77
  • wjraywjray Member Posts: 2
    When I bought my 2000 ML320, I paid an extra $200 or so for the in dash cd player option. On a recent trip to Florida, it went crazy, the whole radio unit locked up and would not do a thing. When I took it to the dealer, they said, your navigation unit is screwed up. I said..."hmmmm...I did not know I had one." They told me that the dealer apparently put the wrong unit in!!! So, now all I have to do is pay them $300 for the little GPS antenna and I will have navigation! Thought some of you might have the same deal...
  • jmcdowelljmcdowell Member Posts: 13
    Weird thing happened this morning. I started the car and right after the engine caught-it shut off and I got a "start Error" message flashing on the dash. I tried several more times-even removing the key to re-initialize the system and on the 10th or so time it started and kept running. No more problems the rest of the day. My key quit transmitting last Friday, even with new batteries, so I'm using the other remote key (my wifes) while I wait for another key from the factory. This car just turned 9000 miles. More of the annoying little glitches we have to learn to live with.---Jeff
  • neilg432neilg432 Member Posts: 5
    I have the integrated time port, love the features, however I have a question. Is there anyway to program the phone, so the caller id number flashes on the screen, instead of the word CALL, the name and number appear once the call is answered. I know this is trivial, but sometimes you want to talk and other times you don't.
    Thanks
    Nil
  • birgerbirger Member Posts: 80
    Hi,

I am as PO'd as everyone about the current MB nav system (be it Comand or MCS) because of the number of discs needed for long-distance travel and the impossibility to program a long trip end-to-end (I would like to know my ETA at the final destination, not at some state border). While DVD might indeed be a solution, it seems that the two companies that dominate the market (TeleAtlas for Comand and NavTech for MCS) have decided that the price for DVD and a yearly upgrade of that later would be nearly equal to the corresponding number of CD's. This is not really acceptable, and while these companies might in the course of time moderate their prices, a DVD upgrade will always mean a considerable expense.
    Another solution could be to couple the current CD-based software with either a changer or (dreaming here) an onboard harddisc. Coupled with an appropriate "merging" software, you could then build up a customized map of the parts of the continent interesting you, and would be free to update the most relevant parts. While it's very convenient to have a disc covering an unfamiliar holiday destination, it's not very likely that you will go there on a frequent basis - and you might also decide to go at a later time with a slightly out-of-date nav software.
    I'm sure computer-literate people here will be able to tell if this would be feasible.

Birger in Luxembourg

(I go 12 miles south, and my ML drops off the face of "it's" Earth = current, everyday driving here involves THREE discs)

PS: Anyone had any luck making backup copies of the nav discs? I tried (didn't want to keep the originals in the truck) and the Comand system will not recognize the copy.
  • mlevinedcmlevinedc Member Posts: 45
    300.00 to install a 20 dollar antenna, another first for MBUSA. A GPS antenna is a no big deal install taking less than an hour and that's only if the installer has trouble with the MCS locks! Find a decent stereo installer and tell them what you need; I think you'll be even more pleasantly suprised. BTW the Lexus RX300 doesn't use an exterior antenna for GPS, it's under the dash cover. A GPS antenna can even be installed as a small metallic film circle on your back window or above your rear view mirror.

Mark
  • rockypaulrockypaul Member Posts: 104
    The only nav system I have experienced worth any merit is on the new Lexus LS430.
    Try it and then go back to MB loaded for bear! Their cd's are worse than in the Acura.
  • barblesshook42barblesshook42 Member Posts: 8
    Driving home last night in my '00 ML430 (9600 miles) and suddenly my MCS went nuts. Made a rapid clacking or tapping sound (relay opening and closing very fast?). Sounded like a woodpecker was trying to get out in a hurry. Went on and on even after the engine was shut down, over an hour and half. This AM woodpecker noise is gone, MCS is dead and I can hear a steady static sound from the unit. Appointment in the morning to resolve the problem. Hope they get the dead bird out.

WRT DVD type Nav systems. We recently purchased a 2001 Toyota LandCruiser with a DVD Nav system. It is excellent. It has coverage all over the place. I have no local street coverage on the MB CD system where I live, the LC has all our streets. The LC is easy to program and works like a charm. We used it all around San Francisco over Easter and other than not knowing about a blocked parking lot entrance which caused us to go across the Golden Gate bridge, it was great (although in hind sight, we ended up having a great lunch in Sausalito we otherwise would have missed, maybe "Mildred" is pretty smart after all).

It also plays DVD movies while the parking brake is on, so whenever I feel like watching a 6 inch screen I sneak out to the gargage...
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    Just wanted to get an opinion on what you guys are using to clean splattered bugs on your windshield and front hood?
  • rjlimrjlim Member Posts: 30
    I just normally wait on Saturday's free carwash. Other than that, I use windex on my windshield.
  • biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    I used just plain wet rug then windex on mirror/windshield....for the hood i wait till weekend. coz if you clean your hood just for that you are ruining your clear coat IMO..BTW where is everybody????? just the HOMIE are on board.
    Jim SOCAL
  • cjgordoncjgordon Member Posts: 32
    Last week I purchased a flawless '99 ML320 with 14,000 miles. The previous owner stated that the brake pads would have to be replaced at it's service "B" ~20,000 miles. How can this be considered routine? I've heard nightmares of people having to change pads on their ML every 10,000 miles. This can get quite expensive. I'm mechanically inclined and wouldn't mind changing the pads myself. Is it any more complex that changing the pads on any other vehicle?
  • cjgordoncjgordon Member Posts: 32
    My 99 ML320 did not come with the Bose system, nor did it have a CD or CD Changer. I just bought the peripheral (adapter) cable and the matching Panasonic 8-CD changer. I didn't have the MB bracket to mount above jack storage, thus I mounted under rear seat on right hand side. (Adapter cable is short). Will mount factory style (above jack) once I locate a bracket. The output and/or speakers are inadequate though. Any suggestions? What type of amplifier drives the factory speakers now? Should I bypass it and add my own amp? Or are the speakers the weakest link in the audio chain?
  • tracy_lebtracy_leb Member Posts: 39
    The ML’s brakes can be worked on by any competent DIYer. Parts are generally available, though I recommend looking at the FastLane or PartsShop at www.mercedesshop.com because that site is an extraordinary resource. There is a reference at this site for changing brakes on an E class. The ML is similar.

It is somewhat of a shame that the brake life is so short. Fortunately, at least the ML stops extremely well! It's somewhat of a trade....

Good luck and use jack stands!

…Tracy
    Thanks rjlim and biker5. The windshield is not so hard to clean but the hood, sometimes it's hard to clear those bugs out. I don't want to rub really hard for fear of scratches. I'll probably clean and wax the car this weekend, hopefully, that will ease the removal of bugs next time.
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    20K replacement schedule is not really that bad, the average vehicle will have a pad life between 20 and 30k. When asbestos was banned domestic brands went with metallic pads, one could feel the abrasive grinding when braking plus the rotor life is shortened considerably, also the metallic pads will fade with high heat like when stoping repeatedly at high speeds, Mercedes went with high carbon soft pads, the wear on the rotor is minimal and the breaking is smooth and efective.

The thing to do is learn how to change the pads or find a shop that will do the replacement at a lower price than the dealer, it should not cost that much because they do not need to turn the rotors. If the price of turning the rotors and shorter rotor life is considered, the ML brakes cost is not higher, plus one gets the smooth and sure brakes, on the down side , black rims.

Given the choice of dirty rims or good brakes, hmmm.
    Thanks, Ken for the helpful site.
    Inspection by dealer revealed no woodpecker, just a locked up NV DC drive. Apparently, this is becoming somewhat common so watch for it. You will enjoy the incessant clacking noise that doesn't even stop when you shut the engine off. Just hope it doesn't happen during a long trip.

Right now the fix is to replace the NV DC drive module (about a two week part wait) in the meantime, no NEVI.
    NV = NAV
    DC = CD
    NEVI = NAVI

That is all.
  • bilalbilal Member Posts: 5
    Hi guys planning to get a car/suv this weekend still no idea what to get...the choice is between the ML 320, C320, and the Pathfinder...Price will play a little factor but I heard from the board ML320 will have BIG dicounts soon, any idea when or where? did any one buy one recently.Any help would be greatly aprreciated...I like C320, but a little scared about it being the 1st yr. model.problems!! I heard these Japanese autos are problem free. I drive a C280..31000 NO PROBLEMS AT ALL!!
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    cj gorden, I have a swing bracket available. It is not the std full bracket but a hinged bracket to attach to one side of the cd player. E-mail me and we can discuss it
  • sydney6sydney6 Member Posts: 64
    Almost 20K miles and still 1K to go before service B. Can anyone beat that?
    Just a little over 10k miles and still have 1400 before service A.
  • sydney6sydney6 Member Posts: 64
    I should have written, "almost 21K" in my post above. Sorry!
  • bargamonbargamon Member Posts: 302
    Good god this place is busy! Hey drew, long time.

21,800miles on 2000 ml320. Can't stop my wife from driving!

No need to bring this vehicle in other than routine service. Bubble on armrest is only outstanding need. Next service.

Loaner, fresh e320's. Friend of mine bought in 99 c280, got a loaner, bought an E320.

Love my M so much, got a e-430, a 2001 to round out garage. It gets slightly better gas milliage than the ML. Glad we don't own a Suburban!. Got a Thule Long box for up top when we take lots of kids and stuff. Lot cheaper than gas!