Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• rjlimrjlim Member Posts: 30
    I had my wife's service B done at 24973.3, to be exact.
  • c_j_gordonc_j_gordon Member Posts: 19
    Thanks Tracy and Thor8. I'll try to replace them myself. I can already see the expression on my neighbors' faces. I won't be able to measure/mic the rotors, but I'm sure they're fine.

My wheels have brake dust covers installed (by previous owner) Should I remove these?

chris
  • biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    sidney6,
    I think I can, I have 14,000 on my odo, and my FSS shows I have 7,600..meaning I can reach up to 21,600 before my service B..:-) oh I love Friday.
    Don't you guys and gals.

JimB
  • rover96rover96 Member Posts: 33
    FSS is only for estimate purpose only, It base on the content of the oil inside of your engine. It is not represent the ture mileage left for the next service.
  • mlx52mlx52 Member Posts: 72
    Is there any new news on what the new Bose system will consist of? I had originally heard it was going to be increased to nine speakers. Any idea on where they will be located?

Thanks
    Jamie
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    What dealer do you go to? If I remember right, you're in the Boston area.
    Just curious which one gives out E loaners ;-)
  • kokketielkokketiel Member Posts: 7
    I use Meguiar's QuickWipe that came with the M-B detailing kit. When this bottle is finished, I will probably by a similar Meguiar's product at WalMart or somewhere cheaper. It works great to remove fresh bugs. Spray it on and wipe off with a soft clean terry-cloth.
  • pepperheadpepperhead Member Posts: 4
    Hi-
    Been a while since I've been on here. Hope everyone is as happy with their MB MLs as I am. Strange thing happened today though. Driving along peacefully and all of the sudden the "hi oil" sign beeps and blinks on my odometer. It stopped for about a quarter mile and then came on again. I changed oil about 3500 miles ago (I'm due for change soon). Anyone know what happened? How can my oil be all of the sudden too high?
    I'd appreciate any and all thoughts.

TIA,
    Pete
  • tonytontonyton Member Posts: 5
    Hi guys, I wrote my first message here 2 days ago but for some reason it's not posted. Anyway, The local Mercedes dealer told me that the ML02 will have a "facelift"!, does anybody know what are the changes and if they are significant ?. I think in message #2807, dleungnyc said that he saw the ML02 model at the NY auto show.
    Thank you
  • maabmaab Member Posts: 41
    Mine is 2000 ML320 at 9000+ miles.

I washed my car last weekend, and was going to polish/wax after ward. But I looked at the bottle (polish) and it talks about removing swirls and such; there must be some kind of abrasive stuff in it. I skipped the polish part and went to Canubba (sp) wax directly. I don't think I need to worry about swirls at 10K miles. Paint chips on the other hand is different story.

Since this is a 2000 model, we do get a free oil change at 10K miles, right? I'm not going to wait for FSS to say it's time to change. I've already changed it at 5K miles. Thanks folks.
  • cjgordoncjgordon Member Posts: 32
    This issue sure seems to generate plenty of confusion. My dealer discourages oil changes between FSS intervals. As an employee of Exxon-Mobil, I feel confident in the research that indicates that there is no measurable breakdown of Mobil 1 5W-30 within first 30,000 miles. Actually, if you could keep it clean, the oil would last for years. In the R&D lubes lab (Paulsboro, NJ), they test Mobil 1 in Mercedes engines. Engines with 500,000 miles showed NO measurable wear on cylinder walls, rings or pistons. Unless the oil is getting dirty, why are we changing the oil so frequently?
    I'm not a chemist nor oil analyst, so...

Someone told me once that engine oil contains many additives and properties. Every time you run an engine you deplete some additives; incorporate moisture from air, metal particles from engine parts due to wear, and exhause gas to oil; breakdown some of the properties in oil. Don't forget that engine oil has a shelf life. With these and some other reasons engine oil gets dirty.

If you can "clean" and re-use engine oil in a controlled lab, it will probably last 500K miles. It's just my WAG.
    Your statements are correct and they apply to traditional motor oils. Synthetic motor oils have a different molecular structure that doesn't breakdown (measurably) with heat and friction.

BTW, I don't know if the Paulsboro lab cleans or filters the oil. The only dirt that should make it into your ML's crankcase would come from the intake (not exhaust) unless you have internal engine problems. After the break-in period, you will find no metallic particles in your used Mobil 1.

This is why Mobil 1 is used by practically all of the airlines, marine industries, formula race cars, etc.

Regardless, if it provides you with a piece of mind, it's worth whatever you're paying and however often you're doing it. The more you buy, the more XOM's stock price climbs...lol.

The more I learn, the less I buy.

Good luck ML'ing.

chris
  • marylandml320marylandml320 Member Posts: 21
    Took my ML320 for its first service last week with about 9800 miles on it. Only additional work needed was replacement of front sway-bar bushings (or is that anti-sway). Dealer EuroMotor Cars Bethesda, Md used Castrol Synthetic 5w-50. To my suprise my choice of loaner was a Mit Gallant or 2001 Ml320, of course I selected the Mclass. My truck will be 1 year old in July and it has been nothing but Great!!!!

Dave L. Happy Owner ;)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You may be interested in theSynthetic motor oil board if you haven't visited there already. I like dead dino at a 7k interval myself :-).

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • dleungnycdleungnyc Member Posts: 41
    There was a link to the changes for MY02 about couple weeks back. Kenyee's web site also has a list of the changes, I don't remember the address off the top of my head. As to the ML I saw at the NY Autoshow, I only saw the rear passenger entertainment system from the outside of the truck. The sales rep wouldn't let me in, as a matter of fact, that truck was the only one on the floor that was locked.
  • nn53nn53 Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking at 2001 models and understand there is a new look for 2002. Does anyone know where I can see on on-line? Also, does anyone know if and when they will discount the 2001's.

Thanks
    I thought the reason why engine oil turns black is from exhaust (by product of combustion not external source) and heat. I've been using Mobil 1 in both 9-3 and ML, and they turn black after a while. Pitch black at 5K miles.

When you rub pistion rings and cylinder walls, something got to give - metal particles. Unless Mobile found a zero friction product (sarcastic is not intended).
  • sydney6sydney6 Member Posts: 64
    OK biker 5 and bargamon, I guess I am right on track for Service B. My wife is now working from home, so I suspect the mileage (21K on 320'00 purchased Oct 99) accumulation rate should decline significantly.

Another question on brakes and FSS: (I should have paid more attention, because I know this has been discussed many times here) I just noticed yesterday that the brake indicator light comes on occasionally. Is replacement of brake pads included in the FSS? If not, what is the typical charge?

Thanks....
  • tracy_lebtracy_leb Member Posts: 39
    I just had my first FSS service on my y2k ML and noted to the tech that the brake petal travel seemed excessive. When the brake petal is applied it is less than an inch from the fire wall. He said it was typical, and that my ML (with 13K miles on the odo) has about 50% pad life left.

Anyone else’s y2k ML have a lot of brake petal travel?

…Tracy
    Don't miss this link:

http://www.mobil.com/mobil1_racing/about/products/engineoil/oiltest/index.html

Q: "What makes a synthetic oil superior to the base stocks produced from crude petroleum?"

A: First of all, the molecules in synthetic oil are much more consistent in size and shape, which reduces the effects of extreme engine temperatures. Typically, a conventional oil's short-chain molecules can easily evaporate, and its unstable molecules will oxidize in the extreme heat. In addition, synthetic stocks are chemically produced so there are no contaminants. Conventional oils contain small amounts of sulfur, wax and asphaltic material that cannot be completely removed from crude petroleum. Another key difference is that synthetic stocks do not contain wax, which gives synthetic oils the ability to flow at much lower temperatures than conventional oils.

Pumping Limits For

Mobil 1 Synthetic Oils

Viscosity Grade Pumping Limit

0W-30 -62° F -52° C

5W-30 -58° F -50° C

10W-30 -49° F -45° C

15W-50 -38° F -39° C

Q: "What's the difference between a 100 percent synthetic oil and a semi-synthetic?"

A: All oils are made up of base oil and additives. Fully synthetic oils contain synthetic base oils, and synthetic blends usually use a combination of synthetic and conventional base oils. Semi-synthetic oils or blends may also be blends of hydro-cracked or hydro-processed base stock with conventional mineral base stock.

Don't assume that a "blend" contains a high percentage of synthetic base stocks. The synthetic base oil component can be as little as 10 percent of the total product in these semi-synthetic products.

Q: "Is Mobil 1 a fully synthetic oil?"

A: Yes, it's 100 percent synthetic. The base stocks used in blending Mobil 1 are all "chemically constructed" instead of being simply segregated out of crude oil like conventional mineral oils.

Q: "Can Mobil 1 help my engine last longer?"

A: Yes, with normal recommended maintenance practices. Mobil 1's synthetic base stocks are free of any compounds that can readily oxidize or form varnish. The Mobil-developed additive package is optimally balanced to handle sludge that could contribute to harmful deposits and acid that could corrode metal surfaces. A BMW engine tested for 1,000,000 miles with Advanced Formula Mobil 1 showed extremely low wear.

Q: "How often should I change the oil if I'm using Mobil 1?"

A: That depends on driving habits, conditions and environments, all of which can influence the frequency of oil changes. We recommend that you follow the oil and filter change frequencies shown in your owner's manual, especially during the warranty period. With Mobil 1's excellent protection, you can have confidence to go the full mileage or time frame recommended by the manufacturer.

Mobil 1 is also ideal for severe service conditions, such as very cold starting temperatures, extreme high temperatures and high-load conditions. Mobil 1 is also especially beneficial if you drive less than 10 miles per trip, drive in very hot weather using the air conditioner, encounter dusty or dirty air, drive in cold weather, or tow a trailer or carry a heavy load. Mobil 1 is engineered to provide performance reserve in the areas of sludge prevention, piston cleanliness, anti-wear and high-temperature durability.

Q: "When can I start using Mobil 1 in my new vehicle?"

A: You can start using Mobil 1 at any time, even in brand-new vehicles. In fact, Mobil 1 is the factory fill for the Chevrolet Corvette, Dodge Viper, all Porsches, Mercedes-Benz AMG and all Aston Martin cars.

Q: "Will the use of Mobil 1 void my new-car warranty?"

A: Absolutely not. Mobil 1 exceeds the API engine oil service requirements of all new-car manufacturers, both American and foreign. The only exception to this is the Mazda RX-7 rotary engine, which doesn't recommend any synthetic oil.

I agree. My '99 ML320 (15k miles) brakes strong, but has lots of free brake play. I don't know how it felt when it was new though....just bought it last week.

I'm thinking of using a parachute for braking to save my pads....lol.
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    Are the Mit Gallant and ML320 standard loaners from Euromotorcars themselves or is it through a rental agency? Also, did you have to reserve any of those loaners and did you come in early in the morning?

I'm still debating whether to go all the way out there from NoVA for my FSS.

Thanks.
  • cticctic Member Posts: 291
    I'm under the impression that the FSS A or the 10K oil change won't be free unless it is within 1K of FSS A.
  • cticctic Member Posts: 291
    We had Mobil1 discussions on this board for years. It's interesting that the FAQ says we can use Mobil1 right away, because for a long time the consensus on this board was that we should wait for about 3K so that dino oil could help the seals seal themselves.
    ctic,

That's correct the free oil change is not free if you want to have it change before or unless.... less than 1k of your FSS setting.
  • tonytontonyton Member Posts: 5
    Thanks dleungnyc, I guess we have to wait few more weeks until Mercedes uncover the "secrets of 2002 facelift". I tried to find information on the internet but had no luck. In the meanwhile, I am also considering the Acura MDX.
  • marylandml320marylandml320 Member Posts: 21
    Yep, the Mclass and Mit gallant were the standard loaners, and yes I was there when they opened....

Dave L.
    Not to beat a dead horse, but....

Many, if not most, new BMWs and Mercedes are being shipped with Mobil 1. All Corvettes ::CRINGE:: are shipped with Mobil 1.
    Tonyton,

Check the other message board..www.MBNZ.org there's a bunch of new pic posted for 2003 ML
    Its very nice..
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You forgot to post the link to the Million Mile dead dino test :-)

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    I think I'll just use some standard non-detergent Sam's Club SAE-30 like I use for the lawnmower. It's sooo much cheaper. I'm already using it as a conditioner for my leather interior and as a tire treatment. Sure has made my steering wheel slippery, though. However, do not use this oil to keep your brakes from squeaking (even if it does increase pad life).

GRINS from The Big Easy :-) Seeya at JazzFest!
  • sencsenc Member Posts: 44
    I finally solved my door latch rattles and squeaks on my '99 ml320. No, it wasn't solved by the two or three sets of updated replacement latches the dealers installed....I finally wrapped electrical tape around the part of the latch on the post between the doors where the latch locks down. I wrapped 2 loops of the tape around the portion facing the side of the vehicle and the portion facing the top of the vehicle, and guess what, no more rattles or squeaks. If you wrap more than 2 loops of tape, the door will stick and be hard to open and close.
    A year or two ago, I also found that the tape will reduce the wind noise coming in around my sunroof(but prevents smooth opening and closing of the roof), but even though my vehicle is black and the tape is black, I was too ashamed to drive a $40k truck and have tape on the perimeter of the sunroof!! I then tried a wind deflector and it greatly reduced the air coming in around the seal, but the deflector caused the wind to hit the glass at an odd angle and caused the glass panel to rattle like heck at 65+ mph...So I removed it and just turned up the stereo. Has anyone had any luck getting MB to install a 2001 glass panel with the new improved seal on a pre-2001 ML to reduce the noise?
    Does anyone know anybody selling their ML430 Wheels? Bekkers.com is selling one for $199/wheel. I would like to save a little if I can, but if not, guess I don't have much choice.

Thanks.
  • sencsenc Member Posts: 44
    I finally solved my door latch rattles and squeaks on my '99 ml320. No, it wasn't solved by the two or three sets of updated replacement latches the dealers installed....I finally wrapped electrical tape around the part of the latch on the post between the doors where the latch locks down. I wrapped 2 loops of the tape around the portion facing the side of the vehicle and the portion facing the top of the vehicle, and guess what, no more rattles or squeaks. If you wrap more than 2 loops of tape, the door will stick and be hard to open and close.
    A year or two ago, I also found that the tape will reduce the wind noise coming in around my sunroof(but prevents smooth opening and closing of the roof), but even though my vehicle is black and the tape is black, I was too ashamed to drive a $40k truck and have tape on the perimeter of the sunroof!! I then tried a wind deflector and it greatly reduced the air coming in around the seal, but the deflector caused the wind to hit the glass at an odd angle and caused the glass panel to rattle like heck at 65+ mph...So I removed it and just turned up the stereo. Has anyone had any luck getting MB to install a 2001 glass panel with the new improved seal on a pre-2001 ML to reduce the noise?
    They're usually available on E-Bay.
    I am scheduled for my Service B tomorrow morning, but want to know if brake pad replacement should/will be included as part of the free maintainence. Does anybody know? If not, is there any clever argument I can use on my dealer that will convince him to include the brakes, or will I hae to pay. My sensor light comes on occasionally, so I suspect that they will need changing.
    Try the www.europarts-sd.com they are selling it for 169.99/wheel + shipping...they are located here in San Diego,
    and they are in stock last time I called, they don't have a 1-800 # so if you want to try here is their # 1-858-451-0020. or you can inquire by e-mail. as of now e-bay don't have one for 430 but they do for 320.

Sidney,
    Let us know hows your experience tomorrow on your Service B. Are you going to take it to MB of Escondido?

jim
  • mlevinedcmlevinedc Member Posts: 45
    My 00 ML430 rear brake pads were replaced at no charge at the first "A" service. Complained of squealing in reverse. Didn't fix it, still squeals.
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    I don't see anybody replacing worn brake pads, they are considered wear parts.
    I have noticed that the rear brake problems are mostly happened at ML430 i.e. squeeky and worn out too quick, like what happened to dt77, mlevinedc and to sydney...I wonder Why...Maybe the ML430 is heavier than ML 320. What you guys think.
    Chris, Jaime, Thanks for the info.
    My schedule A is nearing and I would like them to also activate the aux lights. What types/brands have you guys tried that works great. Is there one that's white? I already replaced my lows with Philips Vision Plus.

TIA
  • roger23roger23 Member Posts: 48
    I have a 2000 ML430 which had wind noise from the sun roof since I took delivery. My MB dealer tried adjusting it a couple of times, but no improvement, so I gave up trying to fix it. Then about three weeks ago, when I was at the dealer, they said they just hired a new technician who used to work with MB in Germany and was very skilled at solving MB ML sunroof wind noise. They offered me his services. Wow! Talk about complete success! There is now absolutely no wind noise whatsoever from my sunroof. It is the same as if I had no sunroof. This now makes me realize that any windnoise can be fixed with a skilled technician on the job, as only adjustments were done, no felt added, no rubber replaced, or parts required.
  • bob259bob259 Member Posts: 280
    gpvs; Before I converted my headlamps to the ML55 Xenon's I had tried a few different types.

The two best, and most white light, were the PIAA Super Whites and a set I got from Competition Limited. I got the PIAA's from an on-line source and don't remember who, but the others from Comp. Ltd. can be purchased at http://www.htnews.com/comptltd/

The PIAA Super whites seemed a little brighter and whiter to me.

Thanks for the info. I'll try those PIAA super whites then.
    gpvs, Let me ask you something, What state you from?, because some state, activation of integrated fogs are illigal , unless you have a grill guard telling them you are going to use it, but you have to have the lights installed. Or your foglights are intalled below bumper.

I used regular H3 bulb on integrated fogs and stock Hella 500 on my grill/push guard. The dash board switch control the bumper harness and also the headlights fog. I disconnected the bumper harness and installed separate swich for my grill fog and I use the dash switch only for my H3 bulb. Thats all folks.
    I dropped off my '00320 this morning for Service B. As several of you reported here, my SA says that brake pads are considered "wear items" and therefore not part of scheduled maintainence. Bummer. He estimated $225 for the fronts.

The only good part was a '01320 loaner!
    I'm trying to sell my 99 ML320 CD Changer. So if anyone interested, let me know.