Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• biker5biker5 Posts: 199
    Tonyton,

Check the other message board..www.MBNZ.org there's a bunch of new pic posted for 2003 ML
    Its very nice..
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,624
    You forgot to post the link to the Million Mile dead dino test :-)

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• cjgordoncjgordon Posts: 32
    I think I'll just use some standard non-detergent Sam's Club SAE-30 like I use for the lawnmower. It's sooo much cheaper. I'm already using it as a conditioner for my leather interior and as a tire treatment. Sure has made my steering wheel slippery, though. However, do not use this oil to keep your brakes from squeaking (even if it does increase pad life).

GRINS from The Big Easy :-) Seeya at JazzFest!
  • sencsenc Posts: 44
    I finally solved my door latch rattles and squeaks on my '99 ml320. No, it wasn't solved by the two or three sets of updated replacement latches the dealers installed....I finally wrapped electrical tape around the part of the latch on the post between the doors where the latch locks down. I wrapped 2 loops of the tape around the portion facing the side of the vehicle and the portion facing the top of the vehicle, and guess what, no more rattles or squeaks. If you wrap more than 2 loops of tape, the door will stick and be hard to open and close.
    A year or two ago, I also found that the tape will reduce the wind noise coming in around my sunroof(but prevents smooth opening and closing of the roof), but even though my vehicle is black and the tape is black, I was too ashamed to drive a $40k truck and have tape on the perimeter of the sunroof!! I then tried a wind deflector and it greatly reduced the air coming in around the seal, but the deflector caused the wind to hit the glass at an odd angle and caused the glass panel to rattle like heck at 65+ mph...So I removed it and just turned up the stereo. Has anyone had any luck getting MB to install a 2001 glass panel with the new improved seal on a pre-2001 ML to reduce the noise?
  • rjlimrjlim Posts: 30
    Does anyone know anybody selling their ML430 Wheels? Bekkers.com is selling one for $199/wheel. I would like to save a little if I can, but if not, guess I don't have much choice.

Thanks.
  • sencsenc Posts: 44
    I finally solved my door latch rattles and squeaks on my '99 ml320. No, it wasn't solved by the two or three sets of updated replacement latches the dealers installed....I finally wrapped electrical tape around the part of the latch on the post between the doors where the latch locks down. I wrapped 2 loops of the tape around the portion facing the side of the vehicle and the portion facing the top of the vehicle, and guess what, no more rattles or squeaks. If you wrap more than 2 loops of tape, the door will stick and be hard to open and close.
    A year or two ago, I also found that the tape will reduce the wind noise coming in around my sunroof(but prevents smooth opening and closing of the roof), but even though my vehicle is black and the tape is black, I was too ashamed to drive a $40k truck and have tape on the perimeter of the sunroof!! I then tried a wind deflector and it greatly reduced the air coming in around the seal, but the deflector caused the wind to hit the glass at an odd angle and caused the glass panel to rattle like heck at 65+ mph...So I removed it and just turned up the stereo. Has anyone had any luck getting MB to install a 2001 glass panel with the new improved seal on a pre-2001 ML to reduce the noise?
    They're usually available on E-Bay.
  • sydney6sydney6 Posts: 64
    I am scheduled for my Service B tomorrow morning, but want to know if brake pad replacement should/will be included as part of the free maintainence. Does anybody know? If not, is there any clever argument I can use on my dealer that will convince him to include the brakes, or will I hae to pay. My sensor light comes on occasionally, so I suspect that they will need changing.
    Try the www.europarts-sd.com they are selling it for 169.99/wheel + shipping...they are located here in San Diego,
    and they are in stock last time I called, they don't have a 1-800 # so if you want to try here is their # 1-858-451-0020. or you can inquire by e-mail. as of now e-bay don't have one for 430 but they do for 320.

Sidney,
    Let us know hows your experience tomorrow on your Service B. Are you going to take it to MB of Escondido?

jim
  • mlevinedcmlevinedc Posts: 45
    My 00 ML430 rear brake pads were replaced at no charge at the first "A" service. Complained of squealing in reverse. Didn't fix it, still squeals.
  • thor8thor8 Posts: 303
    I don't see anybody replacing worn brake pads, they are considered wear parts.
    I have noticed that the rear brake problems are mostly happened at ML430 i.e. squeeky and worn out too quick, like what happened to dt77, mlevinedc and to sydney...I wonder Why...Maybe the ML430 is heavier than ML 320. What you guys think.
    Chris, Jaime, Thanks for the info.
  • gpvsgpvs Posts: 214
    My schedule A is nearing and I would like them to also activate the aux lights. What types/brands have you guys tried that works great. Is there one that's white? I already replaced my lows with Philips Vision Plus.

TIA
  • roger23roger23 Posts: 48
    I have a 2000 ML430 which had wind noise from the sun roof since I took delivery. My MB dealer tried adjusting it a couple of times, but no improvement, so I gave up trying to fix it. Then about three weeks ago, when I was at the dealer, they said they just hired a new technician who used to work with MB in Germany and was very skilled at solving MB ML sunroof wind noise. They offered me his services. Wow! Talk about complete success! There is now absolutely no wind noise whatsoever from my sunroof. It is the same as if I had no sunroof. This now makes me realize that any windnoise can be fixed with a skilled technician on the job, as only adjustments were done, no felt added, no rubber replaced, or parts required.
  • bob259bob259 Posts: 280
    gpvs; Before I converted my headlamps to the ML55 Xenon's I had tried a few different types.

The two best, and most white light, were the PIAA Super Whites and a set I got from Competition Limited. I got the PIAA's from an on-line source and don't remember who, but the others from Comp. Ltd. can be purchased at http://www.htnews.com/comptltd/

The PIAA Super whites seemed a little brighter and whiter to me.

Thanks for the info. I'll try those PIAA super whites then.
    gpvs, Let me ask you something, What state you from?, because some state, activation of integrated fogs are illigal , unless you have a grill guard telling them you are going to use it, but you have to have the lights installed. Or your foglights are intalled below bumper.

I used regular H3 bulb on integrated fogs and stock Hella 500 on my grill/push guard. The dash board switch control the bumper harness and also the headlights fog. I disconnected the bumper harness and installed separate swich for my grill fog and I use the dash switch only for my H3 bulb. Thats all folks.
  • sydney6sydney6 Posts: 64
    I dropped off my '00320 this morning for Service B. As several of you reported here, my SA says that brake pads are considered "wear items" and therefore not part of scheduled maintainence. Bummer. He estimated $225 for the fronts.

The only good part was a '01320 loaner!
    I'm trying to sell my 99 ML320 CD Changer. So if anyone interested, let me know.
    By the way, I bought the ML430 wheels, and trying to figure out what tires to use. I tried calling Jensen Tires and told them I'm looking for a Dunlop 275/55R17 and they said that Dunlop does not have that size, nor any other tire makers. Any suggestions as to what kind of tires I should use?

Thanks
    biker5 -

I'm live in Virginia.

Has anyone from VA activated their aux lights?
    I just found a wiring harness (unattached to anything) in my jack storage compartment. It's in a clear bag that says Aux. Light Wiring Harness. Where does this thin attach. I've got aux. lights, but they're not hooked to anything.

Also, I have a new wiring harness for towing (from MB dealer). Where/how does this attach?

Any help on either of these is sincerely appreciated.

chris
    cj,
    Check the harness...and if it is a Y designed and have a connector on each end that is the harness for your front foglight, you can check it by inserting the blue plug to the harness on your ML and can be found on right side of the grill if you are facing the car open the black rubber cover. Towing harness...on your trunk just right below the first aid kit there are two square opening that you can lift up gently, pick the one close to the lift gate.. inside you will find the wiring cable for your harness.Connect it and pop out the rubber groumet on the car floor so you can pull the end of the harness to attach to your bumper. hope this will help.
    gpvs,
    I used to live in Northern VA for 12 years during my active years in the military,specifically Springfield, VA. Sorry for the off topic.
  • tariktarik Posts: 344
    This is a (quick) translation of Auto, Motor und Sport's report pertaining to MB's new addition to the off-road family. Pictures (Computer images) can be seen at http://www.mbnz.org under "Forums" and "W 163 M-Class". Please excuse the lack of refinement in the translation (not enough time):

2004 is the beginning of a new offensive move in the off-road market, strategically fucused on north america. Preparations began last year with an investment of $600 million in MB's Tuscaloosa plant. The intention is to double the current capacity to 160 000 units within the next three years.

Not only the new ML-Class (W 164) will be produced there by the end of 2004, but also (even six months earlier) a completely new type of off-roader, the GST (Grand Sport Tourer). This large tourer will posess good off-road capabilities and will be based on the upcoming ML-Class' technology. It is planned to target the more comfort-oriented clientele, for whom the current Geländewagen is just too crude, and who tend to buy the likes of LC, RR, Porsche Cayenne and VW Colorado.

The all-wheel-driven GST will be available in a standard version as well as a version with extended wheelbase, which will not only house a larger trunk but also a fully retractable third seat option. The GST, just as the new ML, will no longer have a separate ladder frame, but a unibody construction. Not only does this measure save weight and cost, it also allows for more flexibility in terms of additional body versions. Novelty for ML and GST: the availability of air suspension and manual leveling on the rear axle.

This construction hints that the "big tourer" will emphasize a comfortable ride over off-road capabilities. For the latter, MB still offers the G-Class (Geländewagen) and Chrysler's Jeep models.

Visually, the close to 17 ft (slightly more than 5 meters) long stretch-version appears big, with a mighty grille, turn signals on top of the front fenders, bulging fenders and quarters, high roof line, panoramic rear glass and vertical tail lights.

Depending on the market, the GST will be available with both, gas and diesel engines, a part of which is force-fed (turbo or supercharger). The smaller engines in the four-, six- and eight cylinder lineup will be confined to Europe. Power ratings should range from 200hp to 400hp in the AMG versions. At least half of all Grand Sport Tourers will most likely be sold in the Geländewagen-crazy USA, where the ML is already an established force in the market, and where the G-Class is now even officially imported.

Although it's hugely popular in the US, the current ML has a big drawback - it is too small. 15 ft (4.58m) might be more than "good size" from a European point of view, but in traffic dominated by full size pick-ups, gigantic vans and monster-SUVs like Excursion, Navigators and Suburbans, the ML-Class seemingly shrinks to Micky-Mouse format. Bigger size is needed just to help visual appearance.

MB goes this route also to separate the ML more from its Detroit sibling, the JGC. It will grow by roughly eight inches (20cm), with an additional version with extended wheelbase in mind. As opposed to the tourer, the next ML will be the more pronounced off-roader, improved over the current version by additional locking differentials.

Optical differences between the ML and the GST will not only be the sheer size, but also the wedge-type appearance due to an ascending side line, a dropping roof line, and a boxy rear end. The cockpit of the second generation ML boasts a newly designed instrument cluster with a prominent and huge color monitor in the center console. In order to keep the current ML-Class attractive until the sucessor is available, it will be refreshed in time for the Frankfurt Auto Show. A first outlook as to the GST might be shown at the Detroit Auto Show in January of 2002.

Exhausted Tarik
  • kenyeekenyee Posts: 738
    Thanks for the AMS translation.
  • tonytontonyton Posts: 5
    Thanks to your help guys I found the 2002 Facelift pics. If anybody else is curious, you can check these 2 links:http://mbspy.bacosys.be/w163fl.htm,

and

http://216.122.199.143/forums/w163/vthread.asp?messid=1818

The changes seem to be interesting and may be worth the wait. Anyone know if there will be an increase in the MSRP ?
  • sslibertyssliberty Posts: 7
    Last week I received notification from MB that my 2000 ML320 now requires use of synthetic motor oil as part of the FFS. The recommended engine oils are as follows:

Mobil 1 Synthetic 15W-50
    Mobil 1 Synthetic 0W-40 (only available to dealers)
    Valvoline Synthetic 5W-30
    Castrol Syntec 5W-50
    Castrol Syntec 10W40
    Castrol TXT Softec Plus 5W-30
    Shell Helix Ultra 5W-30
    Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Mobil 1 user like most people on this board. Is MB telling me that Mobil 1 OW-30, 5W-30, 10W-30 are not as good as the other brands listed in similar weights?

I live in Southern California, do alot of stop and go driving, many short trips of less than 10 miles, drive to Mammoth Lakes (snow country) via the desert in both winter and summer. At 1200 miles I changed the mystery factory oil with Mobil 1 5W30 and plan to continue oil changes at half the FSS schedule (approx. 5000 mile intervals). I can't get a straight answer from any of the half dozen dealers in my area. What Mobil 1 weight oil would be best?

I don't like second guessing MB, but 15W-50 seems to heavy and does not provide enough cold temp. protection, and 0W-40 is not available for do-it-your-selfers. What's a guy to do?

Thanks in advance!