Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• drwagdrwag Member Posts: 8
    in Germany Dunlop offers winter tire in size for ML55, it`s called SP Winter Sport M2 size 265/55 R18 108H. Speed limit is 210 km/h. Price approx. German Marks 580.-
  • moeck1moeck1 Member Posts: 4
    I have a set of those exact tires with less than 1,000 miles. Very nice. I know this is not the place to list items for sell, but I am selling them for any good reasonable offer. I live in Calif. and really have no need for them. Also have set of AMG ML55 wheels available (chrome) and some other accessorires. E-mail me direct and I will be happy to provide additional info.
  • rjlimrjlim Member Posts: 30
    What's your E-Mail moeck1?
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Oh that's right, I forgot about that size! Thanks for the correction. Perhaps they decided to use those wheels because they're narrower and hence will be better (much less flotation) in the snow.
    FYI, the Skyview roof will be unavailable from model year 2002 onwards (at least till the next generation ML is out for '05). The reason is that it is apparently not compatible with the new side curtain airbags which drop down from the headliner. So, for those of you who really want that option, you may want to start looking for a '01 ML now since that option is extremely rare.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • cjgordoncjgordon Member Posts: 32
    Just called the above number to report problem with my dealer (Benson MB - New Orleans) and his disregard for my brake problems. Rep stated that he would have someone intervene.

Unbelievable! Rather than spending 1/2 hour of labor replacing $40 of pads, the dealer would rather prove a point (That it's a wear item not covered, regardless if pads still have 75% wear left). My real estate clients are scared to ride in the thing because the brakes are so noisy.

I've had the loaner ('01 ML320) for five days.

In summary, dealer would rather loan me a new Mercedes indefinitely, keep my car in his valuable shop space and piss the customer (and customer's clients) off than spend $150 to correct the deficiency.

This place needs help!
  • moeck1moeck1 Member Posts: 4
    Rjiim - It's Moeck@aol.com
  • nabzynabzy Member Posts: 29
    I guess with dealers being the way they are you guys probably havent heard of the 3 new designo packages....well go to this link to see all 5 descriptions of the new designo packages for the ML plus a pricing list :

http://content.communities.msn.com/isapi/fetch.dll?

action=get_album&ID_Community= CLKOwnersDiscussion&ID_Topic=82

• donelonpcdonelonpc Member Posts: 8
    I am currently an owner of a 00 Land Rover Discovery II, which I really enjoy. It has actually been trouble free for over a year. However, it sucks up gas pretty good and does lack power. When I was first looking at cars, I compared the ML320 with the Disco II. I went with the one that didn't look like a minivan on steriods. Otherwise, the ML handled better, had better options, more power, more interior room, and better saftey.

Now that ML added the sports package, the look I really disliked has changed. But, I do go offroading when I hunt. It is nothing too serious, but I need to drive up and over a farmer's levy, drive through cut corn fields, and rough dirt roads with ruts. The Disco II is as good as it gets for off roading, but I am sure it is more than I need. What are anyone's experiences in off roading with this vehicle? I also at times pull a trailer around 3000lbs. which I back down dirt, gravel and mud ramps into duck hunting marshes. Will the new off road features for 2001 better this vehicle off the pavement?
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    The best way to answer your question is to rent an ML for a day and go to the worst trail you'll likely hit. You didn't say where you live, so I can't suggest where to rent from, but in the Boston area, there are a few places that let you do this for around $160/day though they whack you for mileage.

The problem w/ the Sport pkg is that it cuts ground clearance by 1" which you can compensate for with bigger tires and the ML320 wheels. But if an ML320 won't make it over the levy, the Sport pkg one w/ modified tires will not...
  • bvmoonbvmoon Member Posts: 1
    I AM LOOKING INTO PURCHASING A 1988 320 WITH 88,000 MILES. ARE THERE ANY KNOWN PROBLEMS AND WHAT WOULD BE A GOOD PRICE - PLEASE HELP AS I NEED TO MAKE A DECISION SOON. -- THANKS
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    Here's an advice, if you stop screaming, maybe somebody will help you. :)

Seriously, 1998 has been known to have more than their share of problems than the newer ones. Most people would advice you to get at least a 99.
  • mlx52mlx52 Member Posts: 72
    Do Mercedes engines feature any sort of systems that vary the valve timing depending on the acceleration required of the car? Ala Toyota's VVT-i or BMW's Double Vanos or upcoming Vavletronic technologies.

Thanks
    Jamie
  • jl83jl83 Member Posts: 3
    I'm thinking of taking the plunge on an ML 320. I've read on the board that dealers will likely discount soon because of the 2002's coming. Also read the post about a rumor of possible rebates (this summer?) I'd like to know when do you think they'll be discounting the 01's and if there is anything to the rebate rumors? Thanks.
    Mercedes was using variable valve timing before Honda made the "VTEC" term famous. However, unlike Honda, they did not publicise it and you actually have to look at the engine tech specs in the brochure to find this out. When the new line of engines came out for '97 though (starting from the all-new first MB V6), MB abandoned variable valve timing for variable intake runners which allow for excellent torque at low rpms. Note that the engine produces its maximum torque from 3000-4500 rpms (a torque plateau rather than a curve for this range).

I read somewhere that MB may be considering using variable valve timing again for their all new line of direct injection gasoline engines for 2005. We'll see what happens when it comes out :-)

Drew
    Host
  • thor3thor3 Member Posts: 120
    The 98 ML's were 1st production and had many issues.. noises, rattles, fit and finish.. BUT more important is the fact that they did not have ESP and this is a fairly substantial safety feature...

With 88K+ miles you are taking a risk... assume this vehicle is a steal (under $20K?)... If it is in the mid to upper 20's you are making a big mistake. Look for a 1999 or newer... the new 2001's with full warranty (new interior, MCS...) will be going for $36Kish soon. If you can afford to stretch the payments out over a longer period you'd be doing yourself a favor... if the 98 has issues in the next 20K miles you may wish you spent the extra.

Good Luck - Frank
  • vpotlurivpotluri Member Posts: 47
    I am having trouble getting my dealership in NJ, repair problems that cropped up. The A/C blows hot air. They put freon and a dye in. It started blowing hot air the moment I turned it on after leaving the dealership. Should have taken it back right then. There is a noise from behind the driver's seat since a week after I got the ML430. The dealer didn't fix it on my last appointment. I am less than happy with them. I still have my survey from the inital purchase. I am going to use it to vent my frustration, if they don't fix my problems at my next appointment. After I got my car back at the last appointment I noticed some scratch marks and gouges on the small panel on the back bumper. I asked the dealership about it and they say they don't know. I certainly didn't try to open that panel. I washed the car they day before the appointment and nothing was there. I saw this the day after the car was picked up. What exactly is there behind that panel?

Who should I talk to if the service advisor doesn't take care of these issues? The manager of dealership? The salesman who sold the car? Does Mercedes Headquarters even care about total customer satisfaction? I am very frustrated and already thinking about dumping this car 9 months into my ownership.
    I suggest printing your post above out and faxing it to both the Service Manager and the General Manager of the dealership. If that doesn't generate results, call 1-800-FOR-MERC and explain the situation. Good luck.

chris
    Do you have to use the topsider (suction device) or can you remove the drain plug to change oil????
    Your dealer uses a powered top-sider device to suck out the oil through the dipstick too. I believe that you can remove the plug from the bottom, but because of the large quantity of oil, as well as its position, it will splash into other spots as well (from what other owners have mentioned). I think the Top sider will probably be a better (and cleaner) bet.
    From you described it doesn't sound too hairy and the ML probably could handle it without difficulties. The ML is no Discovery though, of course.

Ken, the Sport package does not reduce ground clearance because it only uses the ML430-sized tires, which of course are the same diameter as the ML320's. The ML55 has reduced ground clearance because of a lowered suspension. I'm pretty sure that the Sport package doesn't include this.
    No, there will not be a DVD-based navigation for '02. The only major change to the MCS is that the blue background will now be black. Also, there will be an optional dealer-installed voice command system for the radio and phone functions.

Drew
    Host
  • rich96rich96 Member Posts: 37
    Actually, I was at the dealership last week for an oil change, and I saw that they lifted up the ML and drained the oil using the drain plug. I guess it will be faster to drain it that way.
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    Drew:
    I thought some of the ground clearance loss was because of the ground effects side moldings w/ the sport and ML55?
    If not, I'm puzzled as to why the MY2002 has less ground clearance than 2001 models...
    No, the ground effects actually don't really take up much room as they only cover the area just below the doors.

MB might have changed the suspension for '02? Here's what I'm confused over though. The UK specs shows that the ML55 is lower than the other MLs, so I wonder if what I saw for the N.American specs was a misprint?
    That's interesting since it is contrary to what I've read and seen in the past.

Drew
    Host
  • rich96rich96 Member Posts: 37
    Yeah, I thought they were going to use the topsider too, but they didn't. I didn't ask why, though.
    I think I'm going to purchase an electic (12V or 115V) oil change pump. They're commonly used on boats and much faster than the Topsider (2 quarts per minute). Any suggestions on what pump to buy?
  • proteus456proteus456 Member Posts: 65
    Greetings,
    I'm trying to decide right now between buying a 2001 model ML320 with M1, M2, and M7 (perhaps bose/nav, not sure if its worth it) or waiting for the 2002. I can get the 2001 model at invoice or below, whereas I'd probably have to pay MSRP for the 2002 model. Difference would be 3-4k I'd imagine. Is it worth waiting? Other than auto climate control, and perhaps some slicker styling, are there any practical changes worth waiting for? If so, when would the 2002's be available?
    Thanks,
    M.
  • spfoteyspfotey Member Posts: 131
    the biggest change i think will be the revision of the center console, which will allow for direct fans/ac to the back...
  • roger23roger23 Member Posts: 48
    Does anyone know the general or technical reason why black or chrome sidestep bars supposedly cannot be installed on a ML with the sports package?
  • planomlplanoml Member Posts: 244
    I'm in the same boat. I've got some prices on the MY01. Please, e-mail me at awali1@netaddress.net, if you want to compare notes.
    Any knows where to get one of those rear bumper bars? I'm trying to match it with the factory side bars and a-bars.
  • dt77dt77 Member Posts: 232
    www.waag.com sells them for the ML

dt77
    http://fullspeed.to/ml
  • tracy_lebtracy_leb Member Posts: 39
    M-B, Jeep to share components

Zetsche promises unique platforms, distinct identities

DOROTHEE OSTLE
    Automotive News

TOLEDO, Ohio -- The next generation of the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Mercedes-Benz sport-utilities will share a significant number of components, said Dieter Zetsche, CEO of the Chrysler group.

But he insisted that Jeep and Mercedes-Benz won't share a platform as a whole, and that their brand identities will not be compromised.

Component and platform sharing between Mercedes-Benz and the Chrysler group is a touchy subject at DaimlerChrysler AG. Many Mercedes loyalists in Germany jealously guard the brand's reputation. But the company's financial crisis has tipped the balance toward sharing.

"We intend to maximize the benefits of combining two directions: Make best use of common components with Mercedes-Benz SUVs, and make best use of common components with our own SUV product range," Zetsche said in an interview here last week.

Zetsche ruled out complete platform sharing between Jeep and Mercedes-Benz vehicles. Instead, the next Grand Cherokee "will be a blend between an evolution of the current platform and some radical changes to accommodate components which will be common with Mercedes-Benz SUVs."

Common components

The M class and Grand Cherokee are both four-wheel drive and could, for example, share a transmission, transfer case and brakes.

In a related development, the company has said the next-generation Mercedes-Benz E class and the Chrysler group's new rear-drive sedans will share electronic architecture and significant components such as the transmission and axles. The rear-drive sedans will replace the Dodge Intrepid and the Chrysler Concorde and 300M in the 2004 model year.

Zetsche said in an interview April 20 in Auburn Hills that the Grand Cherokee, due in 2004, would be a totally new vehicle. "We are not talking about a new look and new interior; we are talking about an entirely new product. It's clearly not a major refreshment but an entirely new product."

A top Chrysler group executive said Mercedes-Benz executives acknowledge the first generation M class had problems. These problems include fit and finish imperfections, a cockpit that luxury customers criticized and minor quality glitches.

"They've dropped the arrogance they have about passenger cars and are turning to us for sport-utility help," the executive said. "They see we're the experts in SUVs."

The current Grand Cherokee was introduced in fall 1998. The Mercedes-Benz M class was introduced in May 1997. The Mercedes-Benz Gelaendewagen, or G500, debuted in 1979.

In Europe, the Grand Cherokee and M class are assembled on the same line in a factory in Graz, Austria.

No brand compromise?

Although Jeep and Mercedes will share parts, Zetsche insisted this will not compromise the brands' identities or their appeal to different customer groups.

"There will be no Jeep which is half a Mercedes, and there will be no Mercedes which is half a Jeep," he said. But he didn't define a limit on the amount of shared parts.

"But with Jeep we definitely haven't exploited all the synergy potential yet," he said. "I'm worrying more about achieving that than coming too close to Mercedes-Benz SUVs."

These issues are discussed in the Automotive Executive Council, which concluded there will be no conflicts, he said.

"We all want to develop our brands to their highest potential respectively but without jeopardizing their identities. For every specific detail, we weigh the benefits of possible synergies against the possible negative impact on the brands' identities. And we will always decide in favor of protecting the identity and integrity of each brand."
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    The ML is UNDER rated as far as off the road capabilities concern, granted is not the top but for normal off the road use is fine and with the low range is even better than many we assume are good off roaders, the secret to drive in off road conditions is slow, and the low range makes it possible.

I tow a trailer with two big jet skies and other gear, over 3500lbs for hundreds of miles and over 75mph sometimes over 80 and no problems at all, sometimes I have to pull in steep and slipery boat landings and get the trailer over the hump and out, it does a lot better than my GMC pickup.

It is amazing how so many people fail to use the low range, either they forget or don't think about or do not need it, anyway is better to have and not need than need and not have.
    Thanks for the link, i'll be checking it out.
  • quipquip Member Posts: 3
    20% off 5/16-5/26 on all Thule and Yakima stuffs at Sportsrack.

See you all at Powertrip tomorrow.
  • ck53ck53 Member Posts: 4
    Does anybody know how to wire up front fog lamps to the fog lamp switch. I presume the switch is pre-wired and I can just connect up to it somewhere. Vehicle is 2001 ML320.
    Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome.
  • mikestaleymikestaley Member Posts: 35
    After seeing the picture on the web last week or so, I decided to have the dust filter inside the passenger cabin checked when I had a headlight replaced yesterday.

(You know the filter... The one MB say's to replace every 2 years)

After 24 K it was disturbing and yes replaced.

I always replaced my engine air filter on my 88 Jeep Cherokee every 5K and again MB advised me during the @ service Not to Worry.

with 4K before the B service I can guarantee it will be replaced then.

Thanks to everyone who shares and cares we enjoy our quality vehicle

Mike - Central Florida
  • chasgchasg Member Posts: 2
    Wondering if anyone has ordered a 2002.
    The dealers I have spoken with are trying to push the 2001, claim MB will soon be offering good incentives.
    Any confirmed 02 pricing yet? If I do order a 2002, should I settle for MSRP or has anyone done better?
    Thanks
    Someone wrote up this comparison in the Ford Explorer topic. Thought you all may be interested:
    proteus456 "MY2002+ Ford Explorer/Mercury Mountaineer" May 19, 2001 11:22pm

Drew
    Host
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    Is it me or is anyone else finding it hard to get to the ML discussion. I type in ml, suv, mercedes, etc and all it lists is the archived section. Too bad Edmunds did not offer a way to bookmark a few of these lists to our sign-in so that we have easier access to the list that we frequent more often.
    There is a very easy way to do that. Simply subscribe to this discussion topic (there is a "subscribe button" above the post message box. Whenever there are new messages in any of your subscribed topics, they will show up in your message centre (xxxx topic - xx new mesages), and links will be provided for you to go directly to those messages

The only page that you should be bookmarking is the main Town Hall startup page, which is http://townhall.edmunds.com/cgi-bin/townhall . You will see a "message centre" link on the left hand column (just below the "login/logout" button), and you can jump to your message centre from there. There is also a image link just below the message centre link, or just to the left of the "subscribe" button in any discussion topic. This allows you to continue scrolling through your subscribed topics to read the new messages.

You can also "mark" any messages that you find useful and might want to refer back to in the future. Links to these marked messages will appear in your message centre as well.

Of course, you can also access the different Town Hall message board categories (i.e. SUVs, sedans, etc.) by using the dropdown list on the left side, top of the page.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Drew
    Host
  • skimmelskimmel Member Posts: 43
    Does anyone have 3rd row seats and use them regularly? Seems like it could be difficult to use them on a regular basis, especially if there are already 2 car seats in the middle row (making it hard to pull the seatback forward).

Thanks for any insights.
  • rs64rs64 Member Posts: 64
    We have a 7 yr old & a 3 yr old. The car seat w/ the 3 yr old goes in the middle row & the 7 yr old loves to ride in the very back. We keep 1 of the 3rd row seats folded down and she gets in/out the rear hatch. It is a little diffcult if you have to fold down the middle row all the time. But, the best part is it keeps them away from each other!
  • dt77dt77 Member Posts: 232
    anyone know if this can be done on my 2000 ml430 ? hmmmm...

dt77
    http://fullspeed.to/ml
  • proteus456proteus456 Member Posts: 65
    As opposed to the MDX, it looks like adults can ride in the 3rd row. I'm basically looking to carry 2 adults, 2 kids in car seats, and an additional 2 adults occasionally in 3rd row. Two questions. Can 2 car seats fit side by side in the 60% of the second row, thus allowing me to leave the 40% row section open for access.
    Also, can carseats fit in the 3rd row?
    Thanks!
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Hi! It might help if you can describe what types of carseats you'd like to deploy (e.g. infant, convertible, booster). Their footprints tend to differ. Thanks!