Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    If your dealer will not give a discount on a 2001, then go to carsdirect.com to see if they service your area.

I just went there and configured an ML430 the way you spec'd it. I got a MSRP of $49,060; invoice of 45,671; and CD price of 45,771. I've actually seen ML320s priced below invoice.

Give CD a try, you never know.
  • ccweemsccweems Member Posts: 33
    Installed Rotex pads. Same as OEM, (had wear sensors on both sides strangely and easily removed) installed no problem. So far no dust - 100 miles. OEM pads can dirty up your clean wheels on the way back from the car wash so the change is real. How do they work? Can't tell yet, as still breaking them in but seem OK. Also less expensive ($75), though I would pay extra to get a dustless pad. There is an even cheaper pad by Remsa for about $40 although I found out about it after I bought the Rotex. Rotex uses a Kevlar/carbon/iron mix. Oh, no squeal.
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    While I feel truly sorry for folks with unreliable MLs, I think MB (and every other mfg) is pretty clear that they don't compensate owners for down time. This seems clear enough to me.

Sometimes you get unlucky and get a car that is a lemon. Cut your losses, sell it, and get something else.

I can understand getting into class action suits because of a serious injury or loss of a job, or something like this. But to do this because a car has a rattle in the sunroof that the dealer can't fix? Or because it has been in the shop more often than you think a "MB quality vehicle" should be? Life is too short to be expending this much time on such things or burdening our legal system with such minutia.

- Mark
  • kenrickkenrick Member Posts: 2
    I too have a y2k ML320, but I am at 47,600 miles on the original Dunlop Grandtrek tires and am not down to the wearbars yet. If you have dishing or cupping of any tire, it is seldom the tire but the alignment. If you are a US buyer merely take it to the dealer and the problem should be warranted. By the way, there are two Dunlop Grandtreks out there, one is an "H" rated and one a "T". Your truck needs the "H" if you buy a replacement, Dunlop or others.
  • drivenowdrivenow Member Posts: 45
    I have a deposit on a 2002 ML 500 at my local MB dealer. He is to contact me when the official ordering specs are available (colors, options...) Does anyone know when this data will be available - I'm getting an August or September build date
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    Where did you get the Rotex pads? Any idea if they're supposed to last longer? Did your pedal "feel" get harder (a lot of folks like the softer, "analog" feel of the OEM pads).
  • jl83jl83 Member Posts: 3
    I just got my new 01 320 with Bose. I'm having problems with the CD changer. Many times it seems like it's not reading the discs properly. The result is no sound, but the display (counter) shows that the song is being played. I can get it to work sometimes if I turn the unit off then back on but it's a hassle. Just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem. Heard that it may not like CD-R's, but am having this problem with regular CDs. I have a call into the dealer, but would appreciate anyone else input.
  • nabzynabzy Member Posts: 29
    heres a nice site that highlights and shows some nice big pics of the changes for 2002 :)

http://mbspy.bacosys.be/w163fldc.htm

• cticctic Member Posts: 291
    I had the same problem. My SA confirmed it's happening to a small number of CD changers. Don't wait, but get it to service and they'll replace it.

They replaced mine and I hadn't had any problem since. The first time I went they said they couldn't duplicate the problem which is BS since the SA knows about it, and I had to go a 2nd time.
  • djdjdjdj Member Posts: 111
    My 2000 ML320 has the skyview roof with the MB air deflector. I used an 2001 ML320 loaner with a conventional sunroof (with no extra deflector) and found it much windier/noiser than my larger roof. In my car, with the roof wide open and the windows up there is almost no wind in the front seat (you actually need to use A/C on a hot day).

Don't know about installation because the skyroof comes with that deflector but that deflector will reduce the wind.
  • djdjdjdj Member Posts: 111
    The 2000 ML320 I just bought and the loaner 2001 ML320 I used both had fuel gauges that showed the first third of the tank disappearing quickly; the 2001 was much worse than my 2000.

Both vehicles' gauges then sat on that 2/3's full mark for quite a while until (it seems) the actual fuel level matches the gauge.

I put 300 miles on the loaner and I just finished an 1,000 weekend trip in my ML and this seems pretty consistent.

By the time I got to 1/8 the tank seemed only slightly pessimistic, which I prefer compared to GM's optimistic 1/4 tank. (You should see the gauge drop in a Tahoe once you get to 1/4 tank.)
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    I play cd-r's most of the time on my changer and occasionally, it won't like those but if you just go to another cd and go back, it plays it. But seems like you need to bring yours back, as somebody suggested, since you're playing regular cd's. Also, make sure the cd's you're putting in are all clean and scratch free. My 2 cents for the day.
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    I am ready for a new ML, those pictures look good Nazby, what I really want is the diesel engine. I saw one in my last tour at the Alabama plant, sounded like a turbine when the throtle was opened, very impressive.

Just comenting on the efficiency of the diesel engine, I have a lot of acreage in my house, several lawn movers and a Ford diesel tractor, a little 20hp mover will consume over 4 gallons to move the yard, the tractor which weighs 6000lbs and is using a 7ft mover will do the same area in less than a 1/4 of the time and use less than a gallon.

I just sent the other day an E mail to VW, they are supoused to come with their extra cab pick up with that monster diesel, V10, all aluminun, twin turbo, 320hp and 550 ft/lbs 6 speed tranny, looks real good, if they come out soon I will hold trading my GMC pick up.
    I vote thor8 as the man with the greatest number of toys on this board (and that I've ever known).
  • ccweemsccweems Member Posts: 33
    I got mine at Brake Warehouse (NOT Brake Parts Warehouse). Phone number (800) 814-0702 Another source coximport.com/rote/. Still not a problem. One question - have stains on my wheels (430 style) that don't come off using PS21 gel. Any suggestions?
  • redgoatee7redgoatee7 Member Posts: 30
    Hey,

I was just driving down the New York Thruway and passed a brand new 2002 Buick Rendezvous driving at 70 MPH with its reverse lights on. I think that's a bigger deal than a rattle in an ML...it may be annoying, but it's not unsafe.

-Todd
    Was it going backwards?
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    I was at the PowerTrip on Sunday. Most of my expectations were met, and having driven most of the cars there already I just have a few comments, comparisons, and expectations

I was a bit disappointed with the C240. While it is a great deal better than the previous generation C, it still lacked some feel in the steering wheel.

I have to agree that the MBs do fee a bit more thin, compared to the days of the 560SEL. I dont thing that the S and the CL have lost it asmuch though.

I was sorely disappointed with the continentals that were on the Cars. From the CL ESP demonstration to driving the CL on the test drive. They lost adhesion rather fast. My father's CL came with Michelins and were much better compared to the Contintntals. I know people are going to say that they were worn down because of people driving them so hard during the day. I got there early and they were not worn down to where they should be so slick. To show the true performance of the car I think that they should have chosen a bit higher performance tires like S03s or Michelins. But then again it would be realy expensive to run the test track and Continental was sponsoring the event.

Another thing about the tires is that during the presentation they said that all MB cars get Contis accross the line, which is simply not true.

Robert
  • jwomacjwomac Member Posts: 7
    My CD changer had similar problems and was replaced under warranty. I also had problems with the head unit, which was replaced some time ago. I'm going to try and get another one because the new one has started to go haywire from time to time. I have begun to get warning lights on the traction control and skid protection on occasion. Don't recall anyone else mentioning that before. Once the engine is shut off and restarted, they go away. Schedule B is coming up soon, so it should be fixed then. Finally, has anyone had trouble with the leather on the driver-side seat bolster? Mine looks like the gray coloring is coming off in a small area. It has been cleaned and conditioned on a regular basis. Any suggestions? TIA (2000 ML320 19000+ miles)
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    MB Canada organised an event similar to the MB Powertrip last year in the US, to demonstrate the capabilities of the M-class. All of the vehicles (there were probably about 20-30 MLs , all '01s) It was called the M-class Adventure, and I was invited to participate. There was a handling dynamics course, a drag race course between the SL500 and the ML55, as well as an off-road course.

The Vancouver event was held up at Mt. Seymour, a local ski hill and provincial park. Because it is a park, the off-road course was the highlight of the day, even though we only treaded lightly. Unfortunately because of this very same reason, there was limited space for the handling dynamics course and the drag race. On Sunday, it was also raining not to mention that later in the day it was very foggy, with visibility limited to about 3 car lengths. The drag race + dynamics courses were temporarily shut down because of the poor visibility. The integrated front and rear foglamps (front ones are activated as standard from the factory for Canadian MLs) came in very handy in the off-road course.

Since many of the participants there had not driven MLs, there were adjustment periods for them. Some longer than others. There was a lady there who ran off the handling dynamics course (she went outside the cones, albeit at very low speed, because she didn't know where to go) twice!! She also did a three point turn when a single turn would've surficed due to the ML's very tight turning radius. A few of us waiting in line found it rather hilarious ;-)

As mentioned the off-road course was by far the most enjoyable, partly because most of us would never subject our own vehicles to this. I found it interesting that it was not noticable to me when one of the wheels lifted one or two feet into the air. The only way that I knew was by the blinking 4ETS/ESP warning lamp. Participants praised the ABS and traction control saying that it was very unintrusive and barely noticable. Someone remarked that it was much less than the ABS in his Subaru. The diveplanes (lower spoiler for slightly improved downforce aerodynamics) on some of the MLs that were used did take a beating though, due to the sometimes hard landings that the participants put the vehicle through. The one on the ML430 that I drove was partly broken off. Not to worry though, these can be easily re-attached or removed for off-roading.

We had the roller ramp demonstration where the ML is driven up a special ramp simulating loss of traction in one, then two, and finally three out of the 4 wheels. We then drove down the other side (about 27 degree downwards). No problems at all with 4ETS managing the power. The frame twister test was great too, and the front and rear doors + the tailgate were all opened in succession to demonstrate the excellent torsional rigidity of the ML. Participants were invited to sit in the ML during this demo. I did and had my camcorder running at the same time. I'll hopefully have video captures sometime soon.

In the same tent where the roller ramp and frame twister demo were conducted, they also had a cut-out model of the ML. The high strength steel areas (300% stronger than regular steel) were highlighted in red and yellow.

Here are a few pictures:

I also had the priviledge and the pleasure of meeting a few Town Hall'ers at this event:

A lot more pictures here:
    http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=137587&a=1557355&f=0&sp=0

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • ugbertugbert Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at buying a 2001 ML320. The dealer is offering $700 over invoice, but I've heard about an incentive and that $2000 under invoice is possible. Anyone bought one recently and can comment?
    Chris and Jamie, we were discussing the Generals vs the Dunlops in the MB chat tonight.

Check out this newly released CNN.com article:

http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/06/19/ford.tires/index.html

The General Grabber tires allegedly have a pretty high seperation rate. It doesn't specifically say which model of the Grabbers though, so I don't know if it's the ones that are fitted to the MLs (which were built to MB's specs). I haven't heard of any tread seperations on the MLs, but have heard of a small number (under 5) of blowouts for the Generals in the last 4 years. No one rollover or sudden swerves/los of stability though. The MLs were fine and the drivers simply pulled to the sides of the roads. However, this news does make me glad that I have the Dunlops; I would've had them swap to the Dunlops if my ML had come with the Generals anyway. FWIW, I found it interesting that all of the ML320s and ML430s that were used in the M-class adventure event had Dunlop Grandtrek tires.

• birgerbirger Member Posts: 80
    Hi,

according to the news, Consumer Reports have a problem with the Mitsubishi Montero in accident avoidance maneuvers:

I think I saw a very similar picture in the German auto, motor und sport magazine as much as a year back - so there may be someting about it. If I remember right, they refused to test the vehicle until some modifications were (successfully) made.

Birger
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Buick has beaten Mercedes for the last three years in a row in the JD Power initial quality survey.
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    I wonder, for someone to come here and post that coment, must have found a feel good tidbit of info.

I owned several GM products, presently included a GMC pick up and nothing on that pile drove as precicely as my ML. I cringe when I hear about those reports, ... so an ML had a rattle, no good then? ha.

All I can say, with all sincerity, is that there is nothing in all of the GM stable as sophisticated and well engineered as an ML.

Those trim and fit issues are a problem of execution and lay squarely on the plant in Alabama.

When I first bougth my ML I started reading and hearing about those surveys, where they basically said the ML was not good, at the bottom of the pile, practically. I became concerned, I said to myself, I made a mistake, to use clean language. As time went I realized there was nothing wrong with the vehicle, now into my third year I had no problems, is a truck that rides like a car, in fact better than many cars, so much so that when is time to get a new SUV it will be another Mercedes.
    If you have ever read any of my posts, you would know that I am a big fan of the ML and readily admit it is a wonderful, well built SUV. One that wound up on my top three list.

I was responding to the inane observation made by redgoatee that he saw a Rendezvous with it's reverse lights on, thereby implying that it is an unsafe, poorly built vehicle.

As you have demonstrated, when someone makes an attack on your car, you will naturally respond to set the record straight. That's what I did.

I completely agree that Mercedes builds good cars. So does Toyota, Volvo, and Buick (GM).

Thor, that is why I came here and posted that inconsequential JD Power "tidbit."

What doesn't make sense is for a Mercedes sedan owner to come to this area and post nonsense about someone's Buick, and then use that observation to trumpet the superiority of the ML.

Redgoatee, if you are interested in discussing the pros and cons of the Buick Rendezvous in an intelligent manner, come over to the RDV forum. We'd love to hear from you. ;)
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    I believe that it was Curt Rich that also had a snippet about having a switch to turn on the reverse lights while you are driving as a way to make people dim their highbeams.

I forget which newsletter it was in, or even if it was him! I dont have time to check here at work, I'll try when I get home.

Robert
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Depends on where you look, just how much the dealers are willing to give up of the cash back. My info shows $1500 back, may vary by region.
  • gncgnc Member Posts: 27
    Thanks to those who responded to my question regarding the Dunlop tires. I've got about 19,000 miles on the tires and both rear tires are symmetrically worn to the wear bars on the outside. I am planning on replacing them with Michelin LTXs next week. I will call the dealer prior to the purchase (approximately $650) but I am not optimistic. I looked at the tire warranty and it does not specifically refer to the amount of mileage anticipated from the Dunlops. I did have the vehicle aligned at the dealership at 10,000 miles and there is certainly no pull or vibrating. Any further suggestions prior to shelling out for the new tires?
  • gereldgereld Member Posts: 9
    I just received confirmation of my 2002 ML-320 order. After reading everything I could find, I decided that the 2002 is definitely worth waiting for. I wanted factory delivery and after a little searching, I found a dealer in CA who was willing to work with me. I don't know how far you live from the factory but it might be an option worth looking into. If you are interested, I went through Ron Hoff at 800-848-3494 x 257 and I can say from my dealings with him that he is an very honest man and gave me a great deal.

Gregg
    thinks the Buick Rendezvous is better than the ML. That's punishment enough already, leave him alone.
    is about as informative as reading about cars in the Restauranteur magazine.

They don't seem to realize that when they take a high center of gravity SUV and make abrupt turns at 40mph it will tip over.

Wait until they take a Boxster and SC430 offroading. Their headlines will read

"BOXSTER STUCK ON ROCK! WE DEMAND A RECALL!"
    I think their point was that since SUVs are replacements for cars in many famlies nowadays, they ought to at least handle emergency situations that may arise. 40mph is nothing BTW...The VSC-equipped Lexus RX300 ran the same maneuver without knocking cones over at 50.5mph (albeit it a lot of body lean), same as the Volvo XC. I've also ran my ML at about 80km/hr in a double lane change emergency avoidance maneuver and it did just fine. Not too much body lean (but way more than the Z3 ;-) or tire squeal. ESP did step in to control the oversteer.

You can see a video clip here:

BMW Car club video clips

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards

• whatwasthatwhatwasthat Member Posts: 23
    As the ML320 General tires are H-rated and have a nylon belt (cap?), I assume they are not the same as those specified for the Explorer (although all may be Grabber ST's)?
  • arbabcarbabc Member Posts: 36
    Regarding your 2002 ML order, how good was the deal? I was set on buying a 2001 ML320 but decided to wait for the 2002. Here in Cleveland, the 2001 ML320 can be had for $3500 below MSRP. I am still wondering if I made the right decision. Any feedback from anyone of you guys is appreciated.
  • wnielwniel Member Posts: 97
    This past winter I replaced the Dunlop tires prior to them reaching the wear bar as I was going to Mammoth in the high Sierra's for a ski trip and wanted fresh tires on my ML. At that time I had 44K miles on them and feel that I could easily have gotten close to 50 if I hadn't been concerned about driving in the snow. I feel that the good durability was because the truck was in good alignment and in addition to that I sacrifice a bit on the ride by keeping a minimum of 32 psi in all four tires. When the shoulder of the tire is wearing faster than the center of the tire, it's an indication that the tire is a bit underinflated and you may be cornering a bit faster than the air pressure will allow for good wearability.
    Wally
  • kenrickkenrick Member Posts: 2
    I am approaching 50,000 miles on my 2000 320 with Dunlop tires. One of the fronts is near the wear bars so shopped today for replacements. Found OEM for $79.00US at Discount tires in Denver but they tried first to steer me to a "T" rated Dunlop at $107. each, then to a "T" Michelin at $174.00. I can't imagine more than double the cost getting more than double the tire. Comments?
  • rockypaulrockypaul Member Posts: 104
    Care must be taken in selecting a tire that will give the all around ride quality that MB spent a lot of time optimizing.

I have 30,000 miles on my 99 320 ML Dunlop "t" rated tires and expect to replace them before next winter for safety in the snow and ice conditions here in the Rochester, NY area.

Anyone with experience with snow tires? I have yet to see any reviews from the group particularly with respect to traction vs noise vs wear tradeoffs.

Help this summer would make my fall decision easier.

By the way I am extremely pleased with the Dunlop Grandtreks. Someone did post that Dunlop is to offer a replacement model for the hard to find Grandtrek TG 35. I've seen nothing since.

The advice to keep them at a minimum of 32 psi all around is on target for proper wear and ride.

Lastly, to the post desiring a Michelin replacement, I would suggest a trial if you can find such in your area. Mich makes many SUV/truck tires and you absolutely do not want to upset ride and handling characteristics with a construction contractor's off road pick-up truck tire!

Refer to Automobile magazine, March 2001: they use an MB ML 320 as a SUV tire test vehicle.
    It is rather comprehensive and reviews tires you and I may not have considered.

Reviewed tires includeed Yokohama,Goodyear, Pirelli,Michelin, and BFGoodrich.

Hope this may be of help.
  • gereldgereld Member Posts: 9
    Ron gave me a much better deal then the local MB dealer. The local dealer said they wouldn't sell a 2002 for a penny under MSRP whereas Ron came in below that. In all fairness to Ron, I really don't feel comfortable stating the exact discount but I promise, you will not be disappointed. I'm only 770 miles from the factory and SWA has great airfares so picking it up isn't a problem for me. Besides, I have never been to Alabama so I plan on turning it into a mini-vacation. Hope that helps.

Gereld
  • bertram60bertram60 Member Posts: 113
    I've always referred to, and seen others post the same, the people at The Tire Rack www.tirerack.com. They are extremely knowledgeable, and will help to steer you in the proper direction. They also seem to always have the best pricing, that at times, I've taken to local stores once I know what to get, and had them match the price (I usually add shipping into the price per tire to beat). They do extensive testing and can prevent you from making a mistake.
    Hey,

Why is it so inane for me to say that it is unsafe for a Buick Rendezvous to be moving FOWARDS at 70 MPH on the NY State Thruway with its LARGE reverse lights on?

I'm not knocking the Buick. And I'm not saying it's an unsafe vehicle. It was just an observation. I'm just saying that the problems reported on MLs are for the most part not safety issues.

I just think it's "inane" to have two bright lights right in your eyes as you're merging onto a busy highway...

-Todd
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    arbabc:
    Depends on what you want. Do you have anything you realllllly want in the 2001? Some people would say the auto climate control. I'd say the curtain bags. Are these item worth $4K to you (diff in a 2001 and 2002)? Do you want a skyroof (only in 2001, and none in 2002)?
    We can't give you advice until you tell us in lots more detail what you want.

Tires:
    For folks that have upgraded tires, could you add a tire log at www.keysolutions.com/M-Class please? Tirerack has a nice rating system and all, but they don't categorize by car.

redgoatee:
    I agree about the lights. I've seen other cars with that "feature" as well :-)
  • trantatranta Member Posts: 2
    arbabc,
    I live in Dayton, OH and I'm interested in purchasing 2001 ML320. Could you advise me the dealer name, contact name, phone number that give you that deal?
    BTW did you see any ML320's on their lot?
    Thanks!
    Tran
    OK, I'll concede that driving with reverse lights on is not desireable, maybe even unsafe to other drivers. I still don't understand why you felt it was significant to mention it here on the Mercedes ML forum.

If it had been a '72 Nova, you never would have brought it up. Clearly you were implying that the Rendezvous has a safety related problem that would never appear in a Mercedes.

The ML is a great vehicle. Well engineered, safe, luxurious, and comfortable. Clearly among the best in it's class. For over $40,000, it should be.

No, I don't think the Rendezvous is "better" than the ML. Nor do I think it's "worse". They both have pros and cons that meet different needs and fit different lifestyles.

Again, this debate does not belong here and I invite you to discuss this or any Rendezvous issue you may have at the Rendezvous forum. We'd be glad to hear from you!

P.S. As to your comment, "...problems reported on MLs are for the most part not safety issues." I submit to you -

1998 ML active seat and shoulder belts and belt anchor recall notice dated 01/2000:

"The latching mechanism on the seat belt assembly was not assembled correctly...in the event of a crash, the seat occupant may not be properly restrained, increasing the risk of personal injury."

That recall for 1998 ML's didn't come out until over 2 years after the car hit the road (no pun intended). I hope all 1998 ML owners were informed of it.
    The only reason I posted that message here is because this is the only forum I read. I brought up the Buick because it is a competitor to the ML. And I thought it to be interesting to see a brand new 2002 model, whatever it may be, with such a visible defect. It's like bringing up the exploding X5 in this forum. I'm sure your Buick nor the ML will light your house on fire...

About the recall, if you read my sentence, it says "for the most part..." I'm aware of the recall, because my parents drive a 98 ML320. And from my knowledge, I don't think anyone was injured from the defect. I'm sure others in the forum know more...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Mercedes Puts A Little Racing Know-How Into Its M-Class Suv

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• mlx52mlx52 Member Posts: 72
    I just purchased an iPass (automatic toll collector) for my M-Class and I was wondering if it would interfere with the rain sensor on the windshield? Even if it does not interfere with it, is it still ok to mount it on the black part of the windshield around the rain-sensor, or is this a crucial part of the system. Sorry if this description is confusing.

Thanks
    Jamie
  • mlx52mlx52 Member Posts: 72
    Where is a good place to buy cleaning supplies for my car such as Zymol and Lexol? I have run out of lexol and can't seem to remember where I bought it online.

Thanks
    Jamie
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    I think you can get some of those supplies from http://autopia-carcare.com. You can also try Griots Garage. I've purchased a few stuff from them.