Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• cticctic Posts: 291
    thinks the Buick Rendezvous is better than the ML. That's punishment enough already, leave him alone.
  • cticctic Posts: 291
    is about as informative as reading about cars in the Restauranteur magazine.

They don't seem to realize that when they take a high center of gravity SUV and make abrupt turns at 40mph it will tip over.

Wait until they take a Boxster and SC430 offroading. Their headlines will read

"BOXSTER STUCK ON ROCK! WE DEMAND A RECALL!"
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    I think their point was that since SUVs are replacements for cars in many famlies nowadays, they ought to at least handle emergency situations that may arise. 40mph is nothing BTW...The VSC-equipped Lexus RX300 ran the same maneuver without knocking cones over at 50.5mph (albeit it a lot of body lean), same as the Volvo XC. I've also ran my ML at about 80km/hr in a double lane change emergency avoidance maneuver and it did just fine. Not too much body lean (but way more than the Z3 ;-) or tire squeal. ESP did step in to control the oversteer.

You can see a video clip here:

BMW Car club video clips

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards

• As the ML320 General tires are H-rated and have a nylon belt (cap?), I assume they are not the same as those specified for the Explorer (although all may be Grabber ST's)?
  • arbabcarbabc Posts: 36
    Regarding your 2002 ML order, how good was the deal? I was set on buying a 2001 ML320 but decided to wait for the 2002. Here in Cleveland, the 2001 ML320 can be had for $3500 below MSRP. I am still wondering if I made the right decision. Any feedback from anyone of you guys is appreciated.
  • wnielwniel Posts: 97
    This past winter I replaced the Dunlop tires prior to them reaching the wear bar as I was going to Mammoth in the high Sierra's for a ski trip and wanted fresh tires on my ML. At that time I had 44K miles on them and feel that I could easily have gotten close to 50 if I hadn't been concerned about driving in the snow. I feel that the good durability was because the truck was in good alignment and in addition to that I sacrifice a bit on the ride by keeping a minimum of 32 psi in all four tires. When the shoulder of the tire is wearing faster than the center of the tire, it's an indication that the tire is a bit underinflated and you may be cornering a bit faster than the air pressure will allow for good wearability.
    Wally
  • kenrickkenrick Posts: 2
    I am approaching 50,000 miles on my 2000 320 with Dunlop tires. One of the fronts is near the wear bars so shopped today for replacements. Found OEM for $79.00US at Discount tires in Denver but they tried first to steer me to a "T" rated Dunlop at $107. each, then to a "T" Michelin at $174.00. I can't imagine more than double the cost getting more than double the tire. Comments?
  • rockypaulrockypaul Posts: 104
    Care must be taken in selecting a tire that will give the all around ride quality that MB spent a lot of time optimizing.

I have 30,000 miles on my 99 320 ML Dunlop "t" rated tires and expect to replace them before next winter for safety in the snow and ice conditions here in the Rochester, NY area.

Anyone with experience with snow tires? I have yet to see any reviews from the group particularly with respect to traction vs noise vs wear tradeoffs.

Help this summer would make my fall decision easier.

By the way I am extremely pleased with the Dunlop Grandtreks. Someone did post that Dunlop is to offer a replacement model for the hard to find Grandtrek TG 35. I've seen nothing since.

The advice to keep them at a minimum of 32 psi all around is on target for proper wear and ride.

Lastly, to the post desiring a Michelin replacement, I would suggest a trial if you can find such in your area. Mich makes many SUV/truck tires and you absolutely do not want to upset ride and handling characteristics with a construction contractor's off road pick-up truck tire!

Refer to Automobile magazine, March 2001: they use an MB ML 320 as a SUV tire test vehicle.
    It is rather comprehensive and reviews tires you and I may not have considered.

Reviewed tires includeed Yokohama,Goodyear, Pirelli,Michelin, and BFGoodrich.

Hope this may be of help.
  • gereldgereld Posts: 9
    Ron gave me a much better deal then the local MB dealer. The local dealer said they wouldn't sell a 2002 for a penny under MSRP whereas Ron came in below that. In all fairness to Ron, I really don't feel comfortable stating the exact discount but I promise, you will not be disappointed. I'm only 770 miles from the factory and SWA has great airfares so picking it up isn't a problem for me. Besides, I have never been to Alabama so I plan on turning it into a mini-vacation. Hope that helps.

Gereld
  • bertram60bertram60 Posts: 113
    I've always referred to, and seen others post the same, the people at The Tire Rack www.tirerack.com. They are extremely knowledgeable, and will help to steer you in the proper direction. They also seem to always have the best pricing, that at times, I've taken to local stores once I know what to get, and had them match the price (I usually add shipping into the price per tire to beat). They do extensive testing and can prevent you from making a mistake.
  • redgoatee7redgoatee7 Posts: 30
    Hey,

Why is it so inane for me to say that it is unsafe for a Buick Rendezvous to be moving FOWARDS at 70 MPH on the NY State Thruway with its LARGE reverse lights on?

I'm not knocking the Buick. And I'm not saying it's an unsafe vehicle. It was just an observation. I'm just saying that the problems reported on MLs are for the most part not safety issues.

I just think it's "inane" to have two bright lights right in your eyes as you're merging onto a busy highway...

-Todd
  • kenyeekenyee Posts: 738
    arbabc:
    Depends on what you want. Do you have anything you realllllly want in the 2001? Some people would say the auto climate control. I'd say the curtain bags. Are these item worth $4K to you (diff in a 2001 and 2002)? Do you want a skyroof (only in 2001, and none in 2002)?
    We can't give you advice until you tell us in lots more detail what you want.

Tires:
    For folks that have upgraded tires, could you add a tire log at www.keysolutions.com/M-Class please? Tirerack has a nice rating system and all, but they don't categorize by car.

redgoatee:
    I agree about the lights. I've seen other cars with that "feature" as well :-)
  • trantatranta Posts: 2
    arbabc,
    I live in Dayton, OH and I'm interested in purchasing 2001 ML320. Could you advise me the dealer name, contact name, phone number that give you that deal?
    BTW did you see any ML320's on their lot?
    Thanks!
    Tran
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    OK, I'll concede that driving with reverse lights on is not desireable, maybe even unsafe to other drivers. I still don't understand why you felt it was significant to mention it here on the Mercedes ML forum.

If it had been a '72 Nova, you never would have brought it up. Clearly you were implying that the Rendezvous has a safety related problem that would never appear in a Mercedes.

The ML is a great vehicle. Well engineered, safe, luxurious, and comfortable. Clearly among the best in it's class. For over $40,000, it should be.

No, I don't think the Rendezvous is "better" than the ML. Nor do I think it's "worse". They both have pros and cons that meet different needs and fit different lifestyles.

Again, this debate does not belong here and I invite you to discuss this or any Rendezvous issue you may have at the Rendezvous forum. We'd be glad to hear from you!

P.S. As to your comment, "...problems reported on MLs are for the most part not safety issues." I submit to you -

1998 ML active seat and shoulder belts and belt anchor recall notice dated 01/2000:

"The latching mechanism on the seat belt assembly was not assembled correctly...in the event of a crash, the seat occupant may not be properly restrained, increasing the risk of personal injury."

That recall for 1998 ML's didn't come out until over 2 years after the car hit the road (no pun intended). I hope all 1998 ML owners were informed of it.
  • redgoatee7redgoatee7 Posts: 30
    The only reason I posted that message here is because this is the only forum I read. I brought up the Buick because it is a competitor to the ML. And I thought it to be interesting to see a brand new 2002 model, whatever it may be, with such a visible defect. It's like bringing up the exploding X5 in this forum. I'm sure your Buick nor the ML will light your house on fire...

About the recall, if you read my sentence, it says "for the most part..." I'm aware of the recall, because my parents drive a 98 ML320. And from my knowledge, I don't think anyone was injured from the defect. I'm sure others in the forum know more...
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,322
    Mercedes Puts A Little Racing Know-How Into Its M-Class Suv

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• mlx52mlx52 Posts: 72
    I just purchased an iPass (automatic toll collector) for my M-Class and I was wondering if it would interfere with the rain sensor on the windshield? Even if it does not interfere with it, is it still ok to mount it on the black part of the windshield around the rain-sensor, or is this a crucial part of the system. Sorry if this description is confusing.

Thanks
    Jamie
  • mlx52mlx52 Posts: 72
    Where is a good place to buy cleaning supplies for my car such as Zymol and Lexol? I have run out of lexol and can't seem to remember where I bought it online.

Thanks
    Jamie
  • gpvsgpvs Posts: 214
    I think you can get some of those supplies from http://autopia-carcare.com. You can also try Griots Garage. I've purchased a few stuff from them.
  • arbabcarbabc Posts: 36
    Gerald:
    Thanks for the info. I think I can get my local dealer to come down off of MSRP on a 2002 ML.

Kenyee:
    The only thing really stopping me from buying the 2001 ML is the side curtain airbags. That's why I was also considering the (apologies if I offend anyone) BMW X5. But the almost 10k price difference is a bit too much. I'd rather wait a couple of months for the 2002 ML. Now, those are my thoughts. What do you folks think?

Tranta:
    Email me at arbabc@hotmail.com and I'll put you in touch with the dealer.

Thanks everyone.
  • wlcawlca Posts: 1
    I'm considering buying a 2001 ML320 and I'm new to this board. I was curious about how easy it is to remove the fold down rear seats. I'm also interested in knowing how much space they take up in the folded-up position. (My 2000 Montero, which I am getting rid of, has similar seats that sacrifices a lot of cargo space, even when folded up.) I have yet to see any M class vehicles at my local dealer with the 3rd row seat option, so hopefully I can get some feedback from actual owners. Thanks in advance.
  • I'm torn between buying a used Black 1999 ML320 with 33,000 miles for about $30,500, and a used Green 2000 ML320 with 22,000 miles for about $33,000. Both have M1 package, leather, CD changers, etc and are extremely clean. I like the Black color and lower price of the 1999, but I hear there were substantial positive changes from 1999 to 2000(i.e. interior layout, computerized stereo). Also heard that the 2000 MLs 'might' include the cost of regular service visits as part of the deal(?). Also, the dealer(not a mercedes dealer) is really pushing the extended aftermarket warranty(5 years up to 100k miles, starts day of purchase)

Can anyone help facilitate my decision? Are the differences between 99 & 00 substantial? Are these good prices? Should I avoid the extended warranty?

Thanks,
    John
    Wait for the 2002 then. Ask the dealer to throw in accessories. That is usually easy to do :-)

johnnatkinson:
    The 2000 model does have free service in the 4/50 warrantee period. Also better insulation. You'd be happier with it..
  • djdjdjdj Posts: 111
    I just bought a 2000 black ML320 without considering 1999's because I wanted MB to have another year of production experience to work out their little bugs. Though, my brother-in-law has a 1999 that is been fine for him.

I like the stereo system in the 2000. Do the 1999's have the same transmission control, with the side-to-side downshift control versus the regular MB D-4-3-2 fixed positions? Its great to have.

Personally I'd vote for the extra money and lower miles.

Either way, buy one of them. They are great vehicles and you'll love driving it.
  • Any guesses as to why the multi Funcation wheel found on the C,E,S classes isn't on the new ML?
    This is even better than wheel controls...it's an option for 2002, but I hope it'll be standard equipment soon.
  • gpvsgpvs Posts: 214
    As i was cleaning my wheels yesterday, i found light scratches near the lug nuts are, maybe from when the dealership removed the tires to rotate them. I have not washed my car since i got it back from the dealership. Is there anyway of taking care of that? Also, about the weights, I don't know whether it's been discussed here before, but why are they attached outside? Why can't they put the weights where it's not visible? Are these more reliable than the stick ons that are somewhat hidden?
  • birgerbirger Posts: 80
    Jamie,

From my (so far 3-month) experience with one of those devices here in Europe, it does not interfere in any way with the operation of the rain sensor if placed behind the "dotted" part of the windshield (to the immediate left or right of the mirror support - see Andrew's picture:

Another issue is whether it will stay there - I had mine detach itself. Funny enough, it was the double-adhesive on the support that gave way, not on the glass surface. Anyway, I release the pass itself from its holder now - giving possible car thieves a free ride on their escape route may be being too kind...

Ride safely, all

Birger
  • tiki3tiki3 Posts: 1
    Can you tell me if purchasing an extended warranty for 01 ML 320 is a good idea? It is kinda expensive and your comments will be greatly appreciated.