Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Congrats on your new M-class, and welcome to the club! I remember your posts for a while back and I'm glad that we were able to help you to take the plunge :-). Hope to see you posting more often in the future. BTW, if you haven't already seen it, please feel free to check out the MB M-class owner's club area.

Enjoy the ride!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards

• juresjures Member Posts: 42
    has anyone put dunlop sp sport 5000 tires on an e class? tirerack rates them high, but i would like to have an e class owners comments, i will put them on 17" amg aero wheels on a 2000 e320 4matic. thanks roger
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    Have you posted this question in the e-class section? I know there are several e-class owners here but i would think chances of a reply are better in the e-class section.
  • hhm1644hhm1644 Member Posts: 13
    HELP! I have an '01 ML320 with 8500 miles on it. For the past 1k or so, it occasionally gets this sputtering problem (hesitation) when I press on the accelerator from a stop. It's as though the idle is too low, but I know that's not it. the dealership has found no "codes" on the computer, and of course, seems to have stopped at that, since they cannot replicate the problem on demand. However, today, when I started the car after work (it had sat for a few hours), and backed out of the space, then put the car in drive, when I hit the accelerator, it began tiny lurches, and no matter how hard I hit the gas, it still continued to sputter, for about 15 seconds. Finally, i put it in neutral and it evened out. Any ideas, suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks!
  • jl83jl83 Member Posts: 3
    I just got my new 01 320 - black with ash. I'm curious to people's advice on washing and waxing. How often do I need to wax? Any specific do's or don'ts (in general)? Any specific products you'd recommend or stay away from? Thanks.
  • dleungnycdleungnyc Member Posts: 41
    hhm1644, from your description. It sounds like a distributer problem. From my experience, any car that does that, it means the distributer is on the fritz. I could be wrong though. Also, have you been mixing different brand of gasoline? A dirty fuel injector might give you this type of problems also. Good luck.
  • tlwwsotlwwso Member Posts: 12
    Tomorrow my brand new ML320 Sport is supposed to be fixed and returned to me. The dealership has had it more than I. I took it back in because I noticed that the front bumper was uneven and I had started to notice a noise coming from the passenger side windshield area. Well, on the first trip back, the dealership stated that the bumper could not be adjusted and stated that they had fixed the noise. As I left the dealership I noticed the noise again and returned it to the dealership. They have sent my ML to a local bodyshop to look at the bumper and I was told that since this is a one piece bumper it will have rises and bends (I'm still not satisfied with that answer). As for the noise, the top portion of the dash was removed and a clip directly above the air bag had either broken off or never been placed and could have cut into the air bag (I'm glad that I remained persistent on that issue). I will keep everyone posted on how it all turns out. I have told my Sales Rep. that if I'm still not satisfied that I will ask for a new ML to be delivered.
    Congratulations on your new black ML, Jeff. I, too, have a black ML. It's a little challenging to maintain a black color but once you're done cleaning, it's all worth it. Anyway, there's a pretty detailed instructions in www.mercedesshop.com under the DIY, also, you can try Griot's Garage. I think some people swear by the Zainos' products. I have Meguiar's and Griot's products. The ones sold by MB are I believe Meguiar's products. So, enjoy your new vehicle.
  • angelboingangelboing Member Posts: 16
    drivenow,

The 2002 colors that you mentioned (Tanzanite blue, jasper blue, titanite red, andradite green...) are merely european names for the very same colors we have here in the US. If you look at the color codes, they correspond to our own capri blue, orion blue, bordeaux red, and everest green (at least I think so). Hope that helps.
  • neicey59neicey59 Member Posts: 47
    Yesterday my husband and I went to the MB dealership to purchase a 01 ML320. The dealer literally talked us out of buying the vehicle by saying that our children would "swelter" on the 3rd seat due to lack of air vents. The salesman was then joined by another salesman and they proceeded to spend 30 minutes telling us why we should wait for the 02 model.

My Brother n law who sells Lincoln's advised me this was "bunk" and the salesman are having to practically "give" the 01 model away in anticipation of 02 delivery, and are only worried about their own pockets. The salesman did admit they are making great deals on the 01, and offered $40,000 out the door for a unit with M1(lux package),M7(3rd seat),6 CD changer, and moonroof. In his next breath he stated "but you don't want this thing...trust me".

Have you heard anyone say their kids are suffering in the 3rd seat during summmer months? (ps: I live in Florida)
  • neicey59neicey59 Member Posts: 47
    I viewed the spy photos of the 02 ML320, and have decided that I don't like the appearance of the new bumpers (front and rear) I do however love the appearance of the new side view mirrors (LED?)

Does anyone think MB or some after market guru will be able to sell the side view mirrors for those who own the earlier models but prefer the appearance of the new side view mirrors which are similiar to those of the C class.

Also, Drew - what do you think the price increase for the 02 will be? I didn't see the MSRP for the 02 posted anywhere. Thanks!
  • jn320jn320 Member Posts: 5
    I also have an occasional sputtering problem with my 00 320. It only happens once in a while with a cold engine and warm humid weather. Usually at a stop sign within 90 seconds of starting. After initial sputtering it runs fine. Dealer called MB and told me to use mid grade gas. They said it could be that the gas I purchased was not the winter formulation. I still have the problem. Plan to take back in for service.
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    I've heard that it does get a little toasty back there, but the flip out windows help a bit to do the initial cooloff.
    No doubt the 2002 rear vents will help a lot. There is a lack of 2001 models w/ the 3rd row option though. Did you see one on the lot? If so, just ask for a test drive on a really hot day.
  • bargamonbargamon Member Posts: 302
    I have third row option with charcoal interior.
    ML has good underseat airflow which gets it in back.

I have small kids and generally use the jumps seats as needed. If you plan on consistantly carrying 6-7 people, the ml is not sequioa or suburban in length.

Please understand, I love the ML, I am just talking about usable space for some families.

Tires: Got the Dunlaps put on yesterday. New tires are always great! Generals lasted 25k. No complaints. Got a great deal on the dunlaps, $322 for all four!

I detailed interior using the duragloss line, great results on leather with a nice smell. I also used a high grade wood polish on the wood and it really comes back to life!
  • robsutsrobsuts Member Posts: 18
    I've tried to "pre-order" a 2002 ML with my local dealership (Novi, Michigan). I have been told that they will not take orders until the pricing is released for 2002. Should I seek out another dealership (I think the same company owns 2 of the area dealerships) or should I insist that they put me in line for early allocation? Does anyone know when pricing will be available? Thanks much. -
  • bbilly1bbilly1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello I heard M class were going on sale. Any idea by how much they will be discounting. ML 320 is the one I am interested in.

For the members who have just purchased the 01ML congrats. and if you can please share how much you paid for and with what options.

Currently I have '95C280 no problems at all. great car!
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Currently I have info showing $1,500 cash back to the dealer.
  • ometofuometofu Member Posts: 53
    It is 95 degree today in New York, is hot inside my black ML after only 30minutes on parking. But once you let the hot air out and about 5 minutes with AC set on 3 (then you had to turn it back to 2) because the kid in my 3rd row is getting chills... Buy the 01 model if it is good deal and color of your choice....
  • donelonpcdonelonpc Member Posts: 8
    I would like some input of persons who have taken the MLs offroad. What type of offroading did you do? Stories of its capabilities, etc. I am considering one. I currently drive a L. Rover Disco II which is untouchable off road, but is probably more than I need for my offroad needs. I hunt and will take vehicles across grass fields, over river levies, and need to pull light boat trailer off of gravel, mud and water ramps.
  • gereldgereld Member Posts: 9
    robsuts,

I ordered my 2002 ML-320 from a dealer in Bakersville, CA and have a 2nd week in Sept delivery. I'm doing the factory delivery thing so it really didn't matter which dealer I used. Ron gave me a great deal so you might want to call him and see what he can do for you. His name is Ron Hoff and he can be reached at 800-848-3494 or ronhoff@sangera.com

Gereld
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    I drove an ML at a Subaru event that had a mild offroad course. I found it lacking in visibility under tight cornering situations. It didn't handle as well as I had expected.
    I've taken both the ML320 and ML430 off-road a few times at Mt. Seymour provincial park and I was impressed. Visibility was just fine and the power folding mirrors were handy. Because of the ML430's lower profile tires, the ride was noticably firmer and at times harsher. The ML320 seemed to be smoother and just as capable. Based on what you've mentioned above, I doubt that you'll have any problems. Low range is great for towing your boat and it can even be used on dry surfaces (and full lock turns) since the ML has 3 open differentials. I recommend that you skip the fairly rigid plastic MB mudflaps though, since they will hinder clearance. Get yourself some rubber flexible generic mudflaps instead if you want mudflaps (good idea since it helps to keep the rear bumper paint intact when you're driving on gravel).

You may want to refer to my previous message (with pictures) via the following link:

drew_ Jun 19, 2001 5:55pm

Check out these links too:

http://www.escribe.com/automotive/european/mbmc/m14951.html

http://www.dragnet.com.au/~groberts/mlpagerec.html

http://4x4abc.com/ML320/ml320_trips.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • gncgnc Member Posts: 27
    I replaced my Dun lops with approximately 19,000 miles as the wear bars on both rear tires were showing and there was a significant amount of "toe-in" with wear on the outside of the tires. I replaced them after a fair amount of research with Michelin LTX MS (my wife has them on her Yukon AL) for $600. The tires seem to ride very nicely and there is decreased noise compared to the Dun lops. I have already contacted my dealer to check the alignment as it is apparently the cause of the excessive wear.

By the way, I have a charcoal interior with third seats as well and have never had passengers (small children) complain that it was too warm despite high ambient temperatures. By all means get the third row of seats if you occasionally need to transport that many people.
    Is the 20k average life of the Dunlops correct for most of the ML's? I had a '97 Disco before with Michelin tires and when i got rid of it, i had about 50k miles and the tread on the tires looks like it can go another 25k. Of course, the ride on the ML is so much different.
    No, that's not normal. 20K is only if you have bad alignment.
    Folks on the M-class list have routinely reported 45-50K mileage before replacement, even with the Generals.
  • biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    As of now I have 19K on my general and its look like I have 50% tread left and Ken is right it depends on allignment and tire preasure I check my tire every week.

Hey guys, My fuel pump and fuel sender replaced last weekend, Because I had an incident while I'm driving from NOrthern Cali. to San Diego my fuel hose came off from the pump and my ML just died on highway.. due to no fuel going in to the engine (it was scary when your warning lights came on and your engine was no response) I thanks GOD that I managed to pull my ML to the safe side. To make my story short. The road side Assistace response are pretty quick but the problem was there is no available flat bed at that time so we had to wait for 3 1/2 hour( it happened on Sunday) so no service dept open on any dealership, We spent a night at the hotel. Monday, at the dealership they found out that my fuel hose were worn out. This incident happened to me twice, the same problem. I want to ask anyones opinion. Is it considered a safety issue? What happened if the car behind me hit me when my car died while driving 70mph?
  • michml320michml320 Member Posts: 42
    Robsuts,
    I just ordered the 2002 ML320 from the new MB in Rochester Hills. I think they are owned by the same owner. They took my deposit about 3 weeks ago so you should be able to order them in Michigan. Try Rochester to order if Novi won't take your deposit yet. Good luck.
    Thanks Kenyee. I knew it was too early for the tires to be replaced.

Biker5, where you reimbursed for your hotel stay then since isn't that part of the MB program?
    Yes, it should be, the servicing dealer is responsible to forward the claim to MB and the MB will then send me the check, I just don't know how long it will takes before I actually sees it.

That weekend was really a terrible one for me. Here is another on i always brought a spare key with me everytime I do long driving but when I got home I couldn't find my spare remote key none in my jacket or pants, under the seat, luggage, bag I could not find it for 2 days. So Wednesday I order one thru dealer it cost me $99.00 plus tax with out activation. Last night I clean and vaccuum the car and guess what my spare was in the driver side back pocket. I asked myself how it got there, so this morning I called the dealer if I still can catch it to cancel....the key came in last night. Now I have 4 keys including the mechanical one.(Arghhhhhh @#$$&&&%$#*&@#)SORRY FOLKs for the OT story I just one to release my frustration...Have a nice weekend to all of you guys.
    Sounds like one of those days... :-P
    When the fuel hose fell off, your car didn't suddenly slow down a lot right? The person behind you probably thought you were just an old lady. It's pretty unlikely that you would get hit though it does increase your chance so it is a safety issue.
    Did you bring it back to the same dealer who "fixed" it the first time? I'd think twice before doing that. Yours is the first case I've heard of it happening multiple times (it sometimes happens after they replace the fuel sensor and forget to hook up the line).
    Ken, It happened at two diffirent places. First time it happened on Saturday at Pleasanton, Ca and the most recent one was at I-5..45 miles from Bareksfield they are about two hundred miles apart. You are right I have to contact the dealer who performed the service last time, just to shake them out a little bit. I'm glad it didn't happen when my daugther was the one on the wheel, she could panic. Also the technician told me that the hose came out the first time should not be reused, It should replace the whole thing. The tech. showed me the defective parts and I even asked him if I can have it, he said no because they will return it to the manufacturer for warranty. The hose was about 12 inches long with snap on connectors at each end. It wasn't the type of fuel hose we used during the old days that we have to use a clamp to secure it, clamp type I think is more secure and safe.
  • cticctic Member Posts: 291
    Don't activate your key and sell it to someone here or on e-bay.
    ctic, Is it possible to sell it to anybody? Are those laser cut diffirent from anyones key? I donno I have not pick up the new key yet, not till this afternoon. I'll keep you posted.
    Thanks citc
  • cticctic Member Posts: 291
    Sorry, me wrong. I was just thinking of the remote, but I checked my keys and the teeth on the metal part of the key is different from others.

But you can look at it this way, you can put a spare at work, at the gym, etc.
  • djdjdjdj Member Posts: 111
    The dealer picked up my 2000 ML320 on Monday morning for "about 3 days" of work they should have done previously. By 3PM today they called and told me it 'should' be done sometime Monday.

So I went into the dealership, expressed "my dismay" at their performance, or lack thereof, and I told them I wanted an SLK loaner instead of an ML (I now always get a MB loaner after their last major screwup). The Service Advisor said they didn't have SLK's in the loaner fleet but would discuss it with the Sales Manager. A short time later, the Dealer Manager approved a brand new SLK320; silver, charcoal leather, I love it. What a toy! I don't care when they finish my ML now.

I found my response rate with the dealership staff vastly improved after I wrote a two page letter to MBUSA's Customer Service Dept in Montvale, NJ blasting MB and this dealer and faxed it to the Dealer Manager. They may not service it any quicker but my loaners have improved and they are very careful with what they do.
    I picked up my key and it wasn't activated to open the door or lock but its work for the ignition. Now, I have 3 remote keys. and U R right I can put it in 3 diffirent places but the problem is I keep forgeting where I keep them :-))) have a nice weekend.
    JimB
  • drivenowdrivenow Member Posts: 45
    I've just finalized my ML 500 order with my local MB dealer. I asked him to order the "special lighting package," which I assume means Xenons, and he said, "Xenons are included in the Sport package" - Is he correct?? Also, any other recommendations before the computer "finalizes" the order entry. Thanks
  • mtsangmtsang Member Posts: 70
    Any thoughts and/or opinions on the differences in ride and handling between the 320 and 430 (500)?

And, how do you like the MB GPS?

Thanks in advance.

Mike
  • michml320michml320 Member Posts: 42
    I'm pretty sure they are included in the sport package but I'm also positive you can now order them separately as I didn't want the sport package but did want the Xenon's for my 2002 ML320.
  • bob259bob259 Member Posts: 280
    mtsang: IMHO, I think until MB goes to the DVD system others use the current MB GPS system is over priced and not worth the additional money. I don't like the fact you have to pay well over $100 for the additional disks needed, which could mean one or several depending on how far you are going, to take a trip out of your home area. Just my opinion...
  • mtsangmtsang Member Posts: 70
    How do you like the system - in terms of data presentation, interface, and accuracy? Thx.
  • bob259bob259 Member Posts: 280
    mtsang: I personally thought it was a lot of steps to go through. But in an unfamiliar city I suppose it would be nice to have and save some time. Having elected to not install it, I'm not the best one to ask and maybe one of the folks that have it could better answer that. I know there have been numerous post on inaccurate readings, but it seems to have happened to only a small amount of units and not everyone.
  • ron320ron320 Member Posts: 9
    mtsang: I'm happy with my GPS I had the dealer install it in my 00 320. I have a terrible time finding new addresses and hate to stop and ask so it works great for me. After using it for >10 months in and out of the city I'm pleased and no longer late for appointments. I plan on buying an 03 320 and have the dealer re install if it is compatible. It's expensive but cheaper than getting married again to have someone tell me when to turn. For some reason I'm not having problems that other users are expercing. I use the Ohio Valley CD.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Hey folks. Just went to the Mercedes Benz Power Trip on Saturday, and it was a blast. Thanks to Drew for letting me know about the event - very fun.

Finally got to drive a pair of M classes. It's a short course, but still pretty fun. Thought I'd share my impressions (from a poor man who couldn't afford to own one).

First the bad. It felt heavy. Big and heavy. Tall, too. Granted, I'm used to cars, and drove a Miata to the event, but it almost felt silly wrestling this truck through the slalom with all the lean and the relatively slow steering. I guess you have to compare it to other SUVs, but it was the C class' competitors that were also available, no SUVs. The transmission also seemed a bit slow to downshift when I floored it.

That engine is a gem, though. And I mean the 3.2l V6. Sweet "zzzzing" in the mid range, plenty of umpf even if the 0-60 numbers aren't that great. I liked the ML320's ride, and the sitting-on-a-throne view afforded to the driver. Materials seemed really nice, and room was abundant.

I then tried the ML430, but honestly, it still felt tall and heavy, so the stiff ride didn't seem worth it for the improvement in handling. I surprised myself as I always crave power and sporty handling, it's just that it didn't encourage you to drive fast enough to take advantage of it. So even though the 430 had the Sport package, I actually preferred the ML320.

Overall a nice vehicle that seems to have a better interior and quality feel than I had remembered (incremental improvements?), but trucks just aren't for me. Of course if the wife wanted one I guess I wouldn't overrule her choice.

-juice

PS My favorite was the SLK320 6 speed, the only manual tranny at the event. I was very impressed.
  • bargamonbargamon Member Posts: 302
    Biggest diff is larger tires and acceleration.

Gas milage also, but since 6cyl has to work harder its not big difference. We opted for 6cyl as its primarily wifes car and she liked it enough. we opted not for gps for its cost, but I think its a nice toy. Can only recall 3 times in 18 months where it was needed. But thats just my opinion. Larger tires give it a different ride, more sporty. In the Suv world, its a great riding vehicle which ever you choose. The 320 lacks for nothing, the 8cyl just gives it more of whats good about the vehicle. I think brakes are heavier duty in 8cyl. Actually what happended in our household, I recently got the E-430. If I spent more on the ML, I would not have been able to do so. So I got the big motor in my car, and eveyone happy!
  • crapgamecrapgame Member Posts: 43
    Does anyone know if MB has plans to offer the diesel ML's in the near (or distant) future? I really would prefer one of these over the gas versions.

Thanks
  • cdiccdic Member Posts: 36
    Over the past few years I have had several GPS units in cars. Mostly aftermarket units from Garmin. As for the GPS in my '01 ML430, well the display is better (bigger for sure), but the info displayed is sometimes inferior. Additionally, there are very few user selectable options if you are familiar with the basic operation of a GPS (eg., waypoints, routes, track back, bread crumbs..) Also, you cannot save your current location on the unit, although it says you can. What it actually lets you do is save the nearest 'known' address on their CD. Sometimes it is actually miles away from your current location because of the poor coverage by the CD in that particular area. What I don't understand is how Garmin can charge you less than $200 for the entire country on 2 cd's at considerably better resolution than I get through the MB GPS. Once familiar with the unit I have to admit that I was actually quite disappointed with the ML GPS. Otherwise I love this SUV. I have purchased a few of the MB CD's and traveled up and down the east coast. I have found areas where the coverage is very good, and then others where it is less than poor.
    I suppose it has good entertainment value for the passenger, however, in my case that would be my wife who has trouble with paper maps, never mind a machine that is complicated to use. Bottom line is MB has integrated a GPS into a car they figure will be operated by less than suffisticated operators. If you can afford the time to figure out how to get your destination into the unit - it will take you there, and do it well - if the destination is in there. Otherwise, it does work well for finding alternate routes when in a jam, construction, accident backup, etc. It's not a total waste of money, but a good aftermarket one will perform as well for less.
  • tlwwsotlwwso Member Posts: 12
    I didn't get the navigation system, but did subscribe to the Information Service. I am able to program my route and have traffic information sent directly to my screen. I love this service, but recommend not reading it while you are driving.
  • corine1corine1 Member Posts: 14
    I have been lurking on this board for about 8 months. I have been to the MDX, Lexus and BMW boards as well. I couldn't decide what to buy, I had a 99 Lexus RX300 and was somewhat disappointed in that vehicle, but nevertheless I was checking out Lexus again. But I am happy to say that I have just bought the MBZ ML320 2001. I felt that it offered me more of what I needed than any of the others. I did get the 3rd row seating..that was a must. Thank you to everyone on each and every board for helping me make the choice I made. I'm very pleased so far. Of course, the MBZ doesn't ride as smooth as the Lexus, but is sooo much more fun to drive and a lot more zip! Thanks again....

Corine in California