Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• shorelineshoreline Member Posts: 10
    It's probably too late but someone asked about price. We purchased late June. Dealers were getting $1500 back on the 320's. We negotiated from invoice and let the dealer keep $500 - so we got it for exactly $1000 under invoice (before tax and lic). Our local dealer acted like they didn't want to sell a car! So we emailed a few dealers 45 - 75 mi away and negotiated via email and came to terms over the phone and then we test drove. There was no haggling or pressure. Don't let them add anything to the invoice price (like their advertising costs of $400) - only pay for what is shown on sticker. Also, we forgot to ask them to throw in some accessories - like you might want to ask for the floor cargo net and maybe some all season mats...Good Luck!
  • biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    I was a little confused on what you said $1,000 below invoice then you said only paid what's the sticker said. AFAIK the sicker price is the MSRP and the invoice price is what's the cost of the car which is much lower than the MSRP. which one did you go by, Invoice or MSRP.,because if you paid $1,000 below invoice it was a very good deal and if you pay $1,000 below MSRP it wasn't a good deal at all. I paid $500.00 over invoice and I thought that was a good deal.IMO.
    Thanks
  • mtsangmtsang Member Posts: 70
    thanks, bob259, ron320, bargamon, cdic, tlwwso for your responses to my inquiry re: MB GPS and ride diff. between the 320 and 430 : )
  • neicey59neicey59 Member Posts: 47
    I didn't purchase this option; however, I am very interested in one of the Garmin products. Can someone explain to me how these work? Is it merely a CD (or a few CD's) for ML owners does this mean you load the CD's in your 6CD player, or is there information on these CD's that is downloadable to a memory unit in the truck?

I know I may sound completely ignorant, but that's because when it comes to GPS - I really am!
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Anybody see the August issue of Automobile magazine yet? There is an article that previews the the 2005 ML and long-wheelbase MLV (possible name) models, along with some very good pictures. I say "good pictures" because it's very hard to tell as to whether they're the real thing, or expertly doctored photographs.

Here's what Automobile says:

• The MLV, beside being longer than the ML, has different body work—much more "butch" in their (and my) opinion. I think it looks great, and will no longer be confused with a minivan. The styling is more angular. It reportedly will go up against the Cadillac Escalade, etc. The front lighting is much more interesting than the current model.

The tires looked huge, but not out of proportion with the rest of the vehicle. My guess is that they appear to be something like 265/65x19. The wheels look very large, and the tires look to have a fairly normal aspect ratio. There are large wheel arches around the tires.

The MLV will have standard 3rd row seating, and will be over 17' long.

• The ML's styling, on the other hand, is much more evolutionary and remains more rounded. It is not as angular looking as the MLV. It still has the same minivanish profile. I'm not wild about the proposed window treatment. The is also a down-sloping character crease on the side of the vehicle that reminds me of the Rav4 somewhat.

The wheels and tires appear to be the same as is currently used on the ML-320. There are no wheel arches like those on the MLV.

* both models have different rear quarter window treatments and different tail lights.

• Of the two, I much prefer the styling of the MLV.

• The new ML/MLV will move to unit construction, and will feature improved off-road capability (still will offer a 2-speed transfer case), an improved man-u-matic, air suspension (standard on MLV) and a choice of manual and electronic differential locks.

• The gas engine lineup follows. The was no mention of diesel versions.

ML/MLV 270
    2.7L 4-valve (not 3 valve) V6 with 170 hp.

ML/MLV 360
    3.6L 258 hp. This will replace the current ML 320 and 430.

ML/MLV 500
    5.0L 326 V8

ML/MLV 55 AMG
    5.5L 388 hp V8

Also—and not reported here, I've heard that this next-generation ML/MLV platform may also be shared with the next G-Wagon and Grand Cherokee too.

Bob
  • tbaker17tbaker17 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have any experience with the Sky View sunroof option on the ML?
    We paid $1,000 under INVOICE. I used Edmunds Invoice price and negotiated from that. I ignored the MSRP and the TMV. I referred to the sticker only for the purpose of seeing what the suv was equipped with and figured invoice price from that. However, the dealer's invoice price differed from mine - they tried to charge us $400 for dealer advertising costs. My point to the dealer was that we weren't going to pay for anything that wasn't listed on the sticker, so he generously "ate" the ad costs. With the $1,500 incentive (available apparently only during the summer months on the old models), the dealer kept $500 and we got $1,000 off the invoice - which came out to be about $3,700 under MSRP.
  • dbonodbono Member Posts: 8
    How did you arm yourself with the dealer incentive information? Its not been listed on Edmunds (or other sites I've been scouting). I too am looking for that kind of good deal, in the Mid-Atlantic area.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Check this out... http://www.escribe.com/automotive/european/mbmc/m15091.html

FYI, the author of this message is a MB service technician, so I would think that he knows what he's talking about.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards

• a32a32 Member Posts: 6
    Day 2 of owning a Cypress Green ML320 with Java interior and third row seats. Had it made to order. I must say that the entire experience was very positive. The fit and finish on the vehicle is remarkable. Thanks to the many contributors on this forum for helping me decide.

Regards
  • blackjavablackjava Member Posts: 9
    Anybody else having this much trouble? My '00 ML320 has 16,000 miles on it and has had to be towed to the dealership 3 times now since October because of fuel pump problems. The symptoms were the same each time --- the engine would crank but it would not turn over and run. The last time it happened it had been running absolutely perfectly the day before when I parked it in the garage, and the next morning it just wouldn't start. And now, just a few days after they fixed the fuel pump the check engine light is on (yes, the gas cap is on tight!).
    Happy 4th of July, everyone! image

Enjoy the fireworks if you can :-)

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accesories message boards
  • jrockwelljrockwell Member Posts: 1
    Like many of you, I have been a silent reader of this forum for over a year, and you all helped me to make the best decision of my life; buying a ML320 (2001). This followed a really lousy experience with a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee (the worse decision of my life). I won't bore you with my problems with the JGC. You can read about them in the Jeep forum just in case there is anyone considering a JGC over a ML320.
    My only complaint with my ML320 is a slightly sticky accelerator pedal. At steady speed, slight pressure on the pedal seems to meet some resistance, and then it gives way. In other words, the action is not linear, but seems to want to resist in a jerky fashion.
    The dealer at first told me there was no cable since this is a "drive by wire" vehicle, but when the mechanic came back to report on his analysis, he admitted there was indeed a short cable which he lubricated. This didn't fix the problem. He also checked for computer error codes, and the obvious carpet obstructions. I'm ready to go back to request that they replace the cable or the throttle position module that the cable goes to. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I can ignore it around town, but it is very irritating on long trips.
  • djdjdjdj Member Posts: 111
    At the beginning of June I bought a 2000 ML320 with a Skyview roof. When I first saw it at the dealer I saw skeptical about it, particularly durability and complexity.

I e-chatted on Yahoo with a Mercedes technician who said the only ones that he had to fix came in with a load of kids who each got a turn to open and close it each trip. Other than that kind of abuse he said they should be as good as a regular roof.

Now that I have it, I love and can't imagine buying one without it. I've spent a number of days in a 2001 ML loaner with a regular sunroof and much prefer the skyview roof.

First, the Skyview comes with a big air deflector so there is little buffeting in the car. With the roof wide open and the windows up, there is little air movement in the car. On a hot day you'd still need A/C upfront if you don't open the windows. I thought the sunroof gets very drafty at speed because it lacks a real deflector.
    Even when the skyview is open a little, the deflector keeps the wind out so you can enjoy fresh air with less noise than a window.

Second, the feel is totally different, much closer to a convertible; the 'whole outdoors' feel.

The kids love riding in the back seat and its a real eyeopening for adults. Adults who like convertibles love this roof.

When closed, it does have more wind noise than a regular sunroof but nothing objectionable. You lose the glass roof effect but I didn't really like it when I had the loaner.

The skyview roof makes the whole car very special. I wouldn't buy one without it and since I've read here that they will not make them starting with 2002, I guess I'll have this ML for a while.

Either way, the ML is a great vehicle.
  • punjabipunjabi Member Posts: 2
    OK, MB owners tell me if I got a decent price on a 2001 ml320. I wanted a specific color, black opal, and was told the availability was low on this vehicle. Any way here's the price I got for a 2001 ml320 with m1, m7 options, heated seats, dose stereo option, sun roof and delivery charge +$250(because the dealer had to get the vehicle from a distant MB dealer) $40270 + tax. OK OK tell me how badly I got screwed?? I had to have a specific color, that was causing problems. Be gentle with the response.

So I may have payed more than some of you better negotiators, but the wife will be happy with the vehicle( I pick up tomorrow).

Now I want to put on the brush guard and the side steps. I want stainless steel. Any suggestions on those, em or non-oem? If non-oem which one's and where can i get best price. Also which is the best place for discount oem MB parts on the net??

Here's a question
    We read something here, actually, about 2000 messages ago (perhaps posted last summer???) about incentives. So, around April, I asked one of the sales guys that I got buddy buddy with. He told me to wait if I could cuz incentives were coming during summer. He said up to to $2500. When it came down to it, the incentive in late June was $1500 - maybe it was really more, but 3 other dealers stuck to the same "incentive story." Maybe it will get better b4 summer is over...but I couldn't wait to find out. One sales guy told me it's a regional thing depending on inventory. I'm in SoCal area where there seems to be a very large inventory of '01s - so this pricing scheme may not apply elsewhere. Punjabi, as long as the wife's happy, what does it matter?
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    I don't mind if they install an ML platform on the Jeep Grand Cherokee, but it will really turn me off if is the other way around, or anything from the Jeep parts bin, as a matter of fact.
    Not to worry...As I recall from the DaimlerChrysler merger agreements, that will never happen. MB will always be the first with the state of the art innovations/features which will trickle down or be shared with the Chrysler division. That way the Mercedes-Benz marque won't lose any of its cachet. Something that the Germans are very cautious and protective of.

For example, the new Jeep Liberty will have a special off-road ABS algorithm when the vehicle is put into Low range. This has been on the M-class since it came out for MY1998. And what do you know, the Liberty's system is also made by Continental-Teves.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    As most of us know, BMW is going to be offering a smaller X-3 SUV in addition to the larger X-5 models. Has anyone heard any rumors as to whether Mercedes has anything like this up their corporate sleeve?

Does anyone think that Mercedes would develop a smaller SUV off the Jeep Liberty platform? I'm aware of what MB agreed to originally with Chrysler as to platform sharing. However, from what I've seen to date regarding the so-called merger, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if something like this were to came to pass.

Bob
  • biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    Thanks, for the explanation. You definetly got a very good deal.

punjabi,
    read shoreline post how he did get a very good deal,but don't feel bad if you are in love you are in love. just enjoy it.

Blakjava,
    I had the same problem in about two monhts apart my fuel pump hose came off while driving in a highway.I know its a pain.. to take it to the dealer everytime with the same problem. The second time they replaced my fuel pump and the fuel sending unit which should have been change the first time the problem accured, now my ML run smooth like a brand new truck...(all was still under warranty)...good luck.

jrockwell,
    I had the same feeling before, but someone from MBNZ.org suggested to spread the tension of the small spring controling the tension of accelerator actuator. Hoe to do it? Just get a flat screw driver and pry that small spring by the middle just to widen up the spring coil, not too much. You will feel the diffirence.
  • ferraro1ferraro1 Member Posts: 44
    Hello All ~
    I havew been looking into buying a 1998 or maybe a 1999 ML I have heard some problems on the 1998 it being the 1st Year , but I was thinking alot of the bad problems would Be taken care of because the cars I am looking at have from 38,000 all the way up to 60,000, Could someone advise me what to look out for or what I am in store for if i do go ahead and buy a 1998 or 1999 ? My frined has a 2000 and loves it, but any info would be GREAT !!
    Thank you,
    Paul
  • sydney6sydney6 Member Posts: 64
    to upgrade a 2000 ML320 to the "Sport" version? I don't think the Sport version was available in 2000.

How much would it cost?
  • chris168chris168 Member Posts: 14
    Yes it is possible to convert a ML into a "Sport" version. I am currently in the process of changing my ML rear bumper cover to the ML55 AMG bumper and adding the AMG flares.

The price of the parts are very high. The AMG rear bumper alone costs $575 dollars, then add the AMG/Sport tailgate piece which costs $130. The AMG flares cost $250 each for the front and $244 each for the rear. There is also a cutout in the rear AMG bumper cover so you have to add in the price of an AMG exhaust tip or two (depending on whether you want the AMG or sport rear). I am not sure about the AMG front bumper pricing yet, but another person that swapped that part out posted he spent over $2000 on that.

Then of course comes the labor of installing all the parts. There has been some talk that the parts aren't direct bolt-on to a regular ML but its still possible to install as long as you are handy enough. I personally am not, so I got my mechanic friend involved to help me out. I will be installing my AMG rear bumper tomorrow so maybe I'll drop in a little on how it goes.

Hope this helps,

-Chris
  • cdiccdic Member Posts: 36
    neicey59: e-mail me and I'll tell you about the Garmin GPSs I have used. I have had several (currently have 3). I can fill you in on the MAPsource CDs for them as well.
  • noelbongnoelbong Member Posts: 41
    I noticed that the radiator mounting on my '00 ml is kind of loose. I can actually move the radiator back and forth, there is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch play in the 2 holes on the metal frame under the hood which the radiator mounting piece go through. Does anyone notice this in his/her ml? If you haven't, please check yours. I don't know if it warrants a trip to the dealer, though.
  • ddavis001ddavis001 Member Posts: 14
    Maybe someone can show me a picture of the new ML500? Hmmm... almost 60 more hp than my ML430. Tempting.

Does anyone know the cost of the new ML line-up?
    What comes with the Bose sound system upgrade? Is it just a different head unit, or does it also provide extra speakers of higher quality? I am soliciting advice as to whether I should go for this option, as I'm getting down to the short strokes of a deal. Thanks -- this board has been a great help!
  • sydney6sydney6 Member Posts: 64
    So that all adds up to almost $4000! Wow, I don't think it costs that much for the option if it's a new vehicle!
    Check out the current issue of Automobile magazine for pixs of the upcoming Ml/MLV models.

Remember—we're talking MY'05, which is a ways off, so don't get too excited just yet.

Bob
  • mtsangmtsang Member Posts: 70
    Is the ML500 almost 60HP more than ML430? Or, just around 30HP as I thought it is?
  • noelbongnoelbong Member Posts: 41
    Drew, is there a way to do a keyword search on the huge info base we have on the ML? I noticed the same questions pop up every now and then, and nobody seems interested to answer the same questions over and over. But with new comers, same questions are inevitable. So, if there is a keyword search feature, it will be useful.
  • ggoudeli1ggoudeli1 Member Posts: 14
    My 1999 ML320 (28,000 miles) is coming off lease in four months. The lease had a high residual (70%), which made for low pymts but now the buyout is high.

My two questions are: for those of you who have recently gone through this exercise and wanted to keep your truck, was the residual negotiable or not?

Second, does it make sense to pony up ~$8,000 to have a new vehicle, with 4-yr maintenance, new features, tires, quieter ride, etc.

Thanks, George
  • dietmikedietmike Member Posts: 7
    I too have a "sticky peddle" I ts is annoying and am looking for a solution. Any luck out there???
  • thor3thor3 Member Posts: 120
    George,

I think you have a fair chance that MBCC (Mercedes Benz Credit Corp.) will negotiate on your 1999 ML 320. It has been done in the past on other models and this would make sense with the changes coming on the 2002 models depreciating the current.

We Leased a 1992 S-class and at the lease termination they offered us $9000 off the residual to keep it. So we thought this was very fair and purchased it but they gave us the option to continue leasing it at a lower payment if we choose to. I am not suggesting they will do the same to you certainly but it is not unheard of.

I would definitely think twice about purchasing it unless they give you a significant discount on the current residual figure. The new 2002 models are quite a bit different in that they have moved to a new climate control, new interior features, exterior update... MB considers this a fairly substantial enhancement that will carry them to the next generation of ML/MLV's (2004/2005).

So, if you leased a 2002 for example and then did the same at the end of the 3 year lease you would have a more up-to-date vehicle with more features and warranty as you suggested in your post. The trade in or market value for a 2002 vs. 1999 would be at least $6000-$10,000 difference. Chances are that MB would negotiate the residual at the end of the 2002 lease although they are much wiser now that the "scarcity" of the ML is now long over. However, there will be the really totally new next generation ML/MLV's at that time and the rest of the older line will depreciate. Also, you might want to keep the 2002 if you want the "body on frame" design which will be replaced by unit construction in the next generation.

Also, since you will not have maintenance covered at no cost over the next years you will likely spend $500-$1000 per year from this point forward which would be free on the new 2002 model. So the difference of $8,000 is really not there. In-other-words you would be able to sell the 2002 and make the $8000 up and then still have the warranty, maintenance, and new features and body styling.

Go for the 2002 you won't be disappointed : )

If you send me your e-mail address I'll send you some 2002 info. (Gstrein@aol.com)
    If your post was for my benefit, noelbong, thanks! I attempted to execute a keyword search before asking about the Bose 'cuz I suspected it was not new ground for this board. (For similar reasons, I have refrained from asking about the Skyview.) No luck, though. How about it, Drew?
  • sharonsharon Member Posts: 76
    I hope this doesn't post twice--it didn't show up the first time:

Hi folks,

I've been mainly lurking since I purchased my 2000 ML320 back in the winter of 1999. I thought I'd chime in with my thoughts on the vehicle now that it's logged 20,000 miles (and change).

First, let me say that I love this vehicle. I was scaling down from a Suburban when I purchased it. It handles beautifully and I had not one moment of panic during this past, very snowy east-coast winter. My only problems in the snow were delays from other people who couldn't make it up the hills, thus blocking traffic. The ML handled much better in the snow than either of my two previous cars (Suburban and Volvo 850).

Reliability has not be an issue for me (hopefully I didn't just jinx myself!). It's been very dependable and has only been to the dealer for scheduled service. My brake-pad-wear warning light came on, so that will be my first unscheduled visit.

I have 3 boys, so I purchased the 3rd row seats. Here's my honest take on the seats: The seats are very useful and very easy to access & take out BUT when the 3rd row is in use, seating is cramped. With the 2nd row pulled forward there is room for people, but not much room left for their things. I recently drove 5 first-grader's on a field trip that was 2 hours away. There were some grumbles because they didn't have much room to store their back-packs (that were filled with things to keep them busy on a 2-hour trip). My fourth-grader's class really grumbles about the lack of space. Now, keep in mind that these are children that are, for the most part, used to mini-vans. Also, with the 3rd row in use, you have very little trunk room. I ran into a problem when I was carpooling to school. One of the boys had a project to bring and I had a very tough time finding a spot for it.

That being said, the set-up works for our family. The Suburban was too big and we really don't like minivans. Our kids don't need to be separated--they have their squabbles, but separating them doesn't teach them anything about getting along with other people. So we only use the 3rd row occasionally. If we had 4 children, we would have to buy a different vehicle. My wish is for an ML that is slightly longer.

I find that the interior is very noisy when on the highway--so much so that I'm always checking to see if a window is open somewhere. I've assumed this is something I have to live with--or are there work-arounds for this?

I would love to see radio controls on the steering wheel (I'm medium height and I find the radio controls on the right hand side to be an ackward reach.

So, all in all, we are very pleased with our ML 320. Yes, I don't have as much child room as my friends with mini-vans, but space wasn't my first priority. My first priority was "driveability"--how the car handles... and I've been very pleased.

I have noticed one thing that doesn't happen with my ML that does happen when I take our Audi S4 out. No young men ever give my ML a second look but they ALWAYS have a comment for the S4. Sadly that proves they are no longer looking at me but I've come to accept that ;-)

Sharon
  • pooliopoolio Member Posts: 18
    I too am having trouble with a sticky peddle.Took it to the dealer and was told it is normal.I don't think so.Let me know how you make out with your ml gas peddle sticking.
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    I just got done playing with my fathers E55... for tonight. My mother and father were with me on the way to the Outlet center.

It is the first time that I have actually got to play with the voice control. All I can say is that the people that are waiting for the 2002 are in for a treat. The Voice command works...I have a deep voice, and it worked surprisingly well. It worked a lot better than the integrated phone that was in our old 95 S500, which kept screwing up the numbers. The stalk is also a much better Idea than the button function on the S phone. People with the old integrated phone know what I'm talking about.

While I was on Route 15 I was programing the voice controls. It was really simple. If you have problems you can even ask the lady and whe will help you out, she is rather polite. Unfortunatly I have to erase it all since the car isnt mine. I guess by the time the 2002 model comes out they could make it even better, who knows. I'm not sure if they will change how it works with the MCS.

It was extremely handy to have. It did screw up a couple times but it wasnt a big deal. I just annunciated a bit more.

On the way to the Outlet center I even got to play with a CL500 (previous generation) on the road. The roads were clear and no one was really in the way, so we took it up to 115-120 until my father said I was going a little fast so I dropped it back to 85. The CL took off, he had to be doing at least 130. We were still accellerating, but he just kept on accellerating... lost him in a few seconds.

My dad and I were smiling, fortunatly my mother was asleep.

Robert
  • chaddschadds Member Posts: 11
    I have a '99 ML 430. At about 15k it developed the sticky pedal (gas). The dealer said that lubrication was not effective and he replaced the cable and the module visible in the eng. compartment where it attaches. Back to wonderful. At about 27k it came back. Dealer fixed it and the next day it was back. I don't think they replaced anything as it was not on the ticket as is normally done. I have an appt. to have these parts replaced. Important fact it only begins to occur when ambient temp. is above 50 degrees. It will stick coming back, when you let off, if temp. gets in the 90's. This made for some irritating driving on the Long Island Expressway! The binding seems to be down where the pedal mounts as opposed to the cable or that module. Perhaps this has been upgraded for the newer years and the parts are swappable. Any of you who have this difficulty have '00s or '01s? Good luck to us all.
    re: your noise comment.

I think ML's are very quiet. My skyview roof has a little more wind noise than the sunroof version but I still thinks its quiet. Even one of my co-workers who has an Avalon commented on how quiet the sunroofed loaner I had was.

Maybe have your dealer check the door/window seals to make sure they are all correct.
  • fredtwdfredtwd Member Posts: 25
    Due to one of those pesky life events I now need to be able to transport my three medium sized dogs (Bearded Collies). I have a 3 month old C320 which I will be selling and I am looking at a 2001 ML-320 as a replacement. I've done some reading across many of the boards and it seems like there is still some quality issues with the M Class. For those of you that own a 2001 M class, what's you opinion? Do you still feel you made the right choice?

I'm also considering:

2001 Lexus RX 300
    2001 Acura MDX

My major requirements are:

1) Ability to transport three medium sized dogs.
    2) All-wheel (4-wheel) drive.
    3) Navigation. I'd prefer it directly from the manufacturer
    (usually better integration, but given the right car,
    I can go after-market).

4) Immediate delivery (within the next few weeks).

I'd also like (but don't require) an integrated phone. My budget is
    the sales proceeds from the C320 (I don't owe anything on it) +
    approx. another 5K (3K if the Nav is not included).

Thanks for your input.

Robert
  • mlx52mlx52 Member Posts: 72
    I love my M-Class! Other than a few minor rattles in the beginning due to an arm on the glove compartment missing a part the car has been great. As for cargo space this is one of the reasons why I chose it over the X5 and find the space to be more than adequate. As for the four wheel drive system I have never had a car as good as the M-Class in the snow and other traction needs. In the case of the Navigation system there have been mixed reviews of it, however, I find it to be very help full as I hate paper maps and the coverage of the Chicago area is excellent and have not had a problem with it yet.

Hope this helps,
    Jamie

2001 ML 320
    BLK/JAVA
    That's funny, because my ML also had a part missing with the (left) glovebox compartment arm and it caused an annoying rattling. Another early build Canadian '00 ML320 that I know of also had the same missing part (it's just a silly little rubber grommet, I think). The dealership took care of that for me, and they added a couple of washers behind the rubber stops so that the glovebox lid now fits very snugly.
  • sharonsharon Member Posts: 76
    djdj:
    Thanks for the feedback. The car goes to the dealer at the end of the month for brake pad replacement, I'll make sure to have them check the seals.

fredtwd:

I have to say, other than the road noise, I have had absolutely no quality issues with my 2000 ML320 (in over a year and a half I've been to the dealer once, and that was for scheduled maintenance). No squeaks, no radio problems--nada. When we take out our third row we have more than enough space for anything we need to do. I don't have the Navigation option, so I can't comment there (I've been thinking about getting the new portable Garmin unit that "speaks").

I've been very pleased; it's been a great vehicle!

Sharon S.
    Been researching SUV's for 8 mos or so and just bought '01 ML 320. After reading all these boards, I neurotically drive the vehicle with the radio/cd off, just to listen for rattles, anticipating that all the reliability complaints will come true. Nothing so far. It seems '98 and '99 had the most trouble and MB seems to have addressed all the problems by now. After 400 mi =) I'm still happy. Just wondering - have you test drove the RX300? I was able to eliminate RX300 the minute I sat inside. Too toyota-like and small feeling, front seat too small, only came to middle of my thigh, not nearly as luxurious as ML - cheaper interior. It also looks like an ESW (elevated station wagon): Stand back and cover view of wheels and you'll be shocked! Never got a chance to test drive an MDX but sat in one. It definitely has some attractive qualities - but I'll only share why I eliminated it. Wind noise is apparently unbearable at speeds 55 plus - so be sure to test drive on freeway. Also, MDX is boring looking, has no door ding bumpers, and has left side mirror defect - it fills with water. Also, MDX is (or was) full MSRP. Hope that helps.
  • pablo_lpablo_l Member Posts: 491
    My wife's had her '99 ML320 for exactly 2 years, and loves it. No rattles, no problems, no nothing. There was an early issue with wind noise, and that was fixed and never re-surfaced. I must say I like that car a lot myself. Even with the new additions to the segment, it's still the car she'd go for. Especially now: the new interior is quite appealing.
    I chose the M class over the RX because of the way it drove, the seat comfort, the way it drove, the more convenient dash and the way it drove.

Sit in an ML, put down your right hand and it lands right on the gear selector. Do that in an RX and your hand is on its way to two very nice storage compartments. They have thoughtfully moved that nasty shift lever way over under the dash.

The difference between the cars is the attitude towards driving it. I'm sure the RX is a very good vehicle to own but I found it boring. I think the new C's are great cars but too small for my family and I wanted AWD. If you really like the way the C drives, I think you'll prefer the ML in the long run because the ML drives like a Mercedes. As mentioned above, the RX drives like a Toyota.

(That said, I don't let our Golden Retreiver in mine. He rides in my wife's van.)
  • tomhocktomhock Member Posts: 6
    I recently checked the water level in my 1998 ML-320, and was surprised to find the level at, or slightly below, the battery plates. I adds 22oz of distilled water. Apparently my dealer does not include this check in the A or B service. They may be more interested in selling me a new battery when mine fails due to improper maintenance. I don't understand why M-B didn't use a maintenance free battery, especially since checking the water level requires the removal of the "Hold-Down" strap.
  • michml320michml320 Member Posts: 42
    Has the US pricing been announced yet for 2002?
  • bargamonbargamon Member Posts: 302
    25k on 00' ml320. Wife and I love it. Hondas are fine for wind noise, but road noise rises into the cabin. Ml is not in same class as RX and MDX. Its much better. It is also priced as so. I would get another without a thought.

Quality has not been an issue for our vehicle. Pre-'00 had some interior fit and finish issues that have been addressed. Im sure toyota and honda owners are happy with thier choices, but we feel we have gotten our money's worth with our ML.