Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    I'm curious as to why the rounded Yakima cross bars would be more noisy than the Thule cross bars. I would think that round would be more aerodynamic? I know that Yakima does sell something that can reduce the wind noise. It attaches to the cross bar (it's not the fairing though). Anyone have any thoughts on this?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    All I know is that the 2x4's I had on my old Quik n Easy racks weren't aero at all, but they never made any noise. First thing I did on my Yak round bars is attach a 1x4 t them and they still whistle sometimes.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    New York gives New York a bad rap. :-)
    ok. I guess the sleazy, corrupt people really do it,...
  • ometofuometofu Member Posts: 53
    my 2 cents... Square bar may have more wind resistance but not necessary generate more noise consider the surface material of these bars and how the material interact(connect) with our vechicle and produce the high pitch harmonics. The thule bars are rubberized (soft to touch)and its harmonic results when i drive the ML at above 70+!! With raw steel painted bar like Yakima, you will hear the harmonic plus wind noise at around 50s....
  • cticctic Member Posts: 291
    No, this is what gives little rich girls a bad rap (or do they deserve it?)
  • ahalkidisahalkidis Member Posts: 2
    Are mats for the third seat floor area available?
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    Except the new, lengthened A-Class (looks more grown up) and the C-sport coupé, I didn't see anything of particular interest (except maybe the cool and stylish sets of MB ballpoint pen and pencil, which I brought). The AMG-models I asked the dealer about are so scarce that they didn't even have one to look at, albeit being a large dealership with three subsidiaries in the region - special order only. He said that if they had those available, every Joe and Jack would want to take them to the Autobahn for pleasure - well, yeah, this is what they're made for...

Tarik
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    Blackjava, thanks for clearing that up, i thought that there was some aerodynamic reasoning as to why you installed the fairings behind the moonroof. :)

Drew, thanks for the detailed explanation for the bug deflector. I'm thinking of getting one soon, found a couple of chips on the hood not to mention all those bug remains.

I also thought that since the Yakima's are rounded they would be more aerodynamic than the thule but i guess not. I guess, i'll have to shell out some $$ for the hitch and the hitch mounted racks.

Thanks again guys.
  • dbonodbono Member Posts: 8
    What should the costs be for dealer-installed (1) trailer hitch and (2) the CD Changer? Thanks.
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    I know I am off the subject, but let's wait and see, at the end Mercedes will be the culprit for making a powerfull SUV and not having WARNING labels on it.

CAUTION, this powerfull SUV in reverse can smash people. The poor little girl was not warned to the potential danger of this brute, therefore how could she control this monster, she was not prepared. We find MB liable for for X millions.

You think I am joking, I have seen it too many times. Remember McDonalds, hot coffee, burnt lap, three million, or Jack Daniels and the woman that drank all the way to labor, she claimed she did not know it was bad for her or her baby, JD was found liable for not warning her, now liquor has a warning, Do not drink if you are pregnant. Give me a break.
  • applehubbyapplehubby Member Posts: 5
    Dealer told me that if I install step bar and the door won't be hit by car next to it when they open their door recklessly in the parking lot. Is it true? It will cost me roughly $800 to install it, just think it may not be really necessary?

Thanks for comments.
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    What happens if the car next to you is higher than the ML? A friend has the step bar but he still has a few door dings. Just my 2 cents.
  • pgillpgill Member Posts: 84
    Installing a side step to prevent door ding sounds far fetched. We have side steps on our ML and it's mostly a cosmetic enhancement than anything else IMO. My 3-year old son uses it to get in and out of the car but for adults, it's just a nuisance since you have to step further away from the car when exiting (or you get the dirt on your pant leg).
  • ksydneyksydney Member Posts: 11
    Hello all...

I've been lurking on this board for awhile while trying to decide between a C320 or an ML series. I was pretty set on the C until I had my 3 kids with me at the dealer and realized the back seat was just too tight ( 2 are still in car seats). I did'nt think this was going to be a big problem as we have an Expedition as our main family car, the additional car for the weekends. So, I've decided on an ML.

I'm pretty set on waiting on a 2002 ML320, however I would guess that I could get a similar price on a 2001 430 when the 2002's arrive. What do you think? I might do some possible towing of 2 jet skis. How big of a power difference is there between the models? Are there any other items that make the 430 superior?

Thanks

keith
  • scott902scott902 Member Posts: 46
    There was a case on Long Island NY years ago, you recall the buick with turbo V6, it was super fast, smashed into a limo and killed the bride and groom.

Guy went to Jail...he claim same stupid story as this female party person.

She was apparently refused entrance and was MAD or on something.

ML not to be blamed.
    Incidentally I just came from a long trip along the gulf coast pullling my two jet skies with my 99 ML430, they are three seaters with a heavy trailer and all kind of gear, about 3500lbs, no strain whatsoever at 80mph, the outside temp was bout 96, the engine with the A/C on was steady at about 88C, same as with no load. My GMC pick up on the other hand with a V6 vortec and manual transmission overheats on the same trip (about 200 miles each way) and lags on the uphills. The A/C has to be turned off. ( It has 140K)

All this in case this info is of any use for you. The ML 430 will give better gas mileage than the expedition, I know from first hand observation since my son's fiancee had one.

From lurking here at Edmmunds it seem like the ML320 rides smoother than a 430 and gives better gas milieage, although for a powerfull V8 and heavy vehicle the Ml does quite well with the fuel.
    If you're going to be towing frequently (especially if there are fairly continous uphill + higher speed sections), you may prefer the extra torque of the ML430 for towing. If it's mostly for flat roads, the ML320 will more than surfice. Don't forget that you can use low range for towing heavier loads up significant grades too. The only limitation is that you will top out at about 50 mph.

Off the line, the ML320 and ML430 don't feel much different because the ML430's rear end ratio is tuned for fuel economy. However, as you build up speed and at highway speeds while passing, the ML430 will have more "legs" to stretch. You should test drive both to see which you prefer. In my experience, in typical around town driving, the power differences are not as extreme as you may think. The ML55 is a completely different story though ;-)

Remember that the ML430s are more rare than the ML320s, so you may not be able to find a '01 model if you wait too long, especially in the exterior colour/interior colour that you want. The deals are pretty much as good as they will get right now already.

What you will give up with the ML430 is some ride comfort because of the lower sidewall tires giving you less cushioning. There will be a slight improvement in handling though. Fuel economy differences between the two are about 1-3 mpg.

Hope this helps!
    Keith:
    Also, the 2002 ML320 will have 17" wheels which means the same sidewall thickness as the ML430/ML500.

applehubby:
    Some folks on the M-Class mailing list have had a few experiences where someone had slammed a car door into their side steps. This normally won't work with rear doors though. So, the answer is: yes, sometimes. You should get them to throw the steps in for free. You can also buy them at $400 from clairparts.com in Boston and get the service department to install them if you can't do it yourself. I'd consider the stainless steel ones for $600 (in the accessory catalog) though since the other side steps will rust faster.
    I think the diference in ride confort between the two has more to do with the wheel weigth, it is called the unsprung weigth, the heavier weigth of the 430 wheels when bounced upwards carries more inertia which will translate into a harder shock against the vehicle.
    That is why Mercedes builds the A frames of forged aluminun, to reduce the unsprung weigth.
  • spfoteyspfotey Member Posts: 131
    does anyone know when these will hit the showrooms??
    Amazing, an attorney would say something so stupid, that his client is unfamilar with the SUV.Granted an AMG is different. However is the requirement of a driver to place FOOT on brake and then move shifter so different? This gal, must have rushed her foot off the brake and on the gas pedal, during that she did not know what gear she was in? Who can believe this??

Then she leaves the scence of the accident, the attorney leaves out this crimminal ACT.

Let her go to Jail, they say 25 years...she's a trouble.
    Watch out I heard the SUV lady is thinking of escaping to Canada...maybe you can give her driving instructions...don't use your ML.
  • nycanyca Member Posts: 232
    http://www.newsday.com/news/daily/lizz713.htm

Believe me, I live here, this may go someplace. Expect MB to be dragged into the civil suit for sure.

Earlier today I posted my opinion without reading the article you just posted. It seem like it is just heading in that direction. My opinion about the justice system is already low, if the defense case is that the SUV was just too powerfull and sticks I will scream and if at the end they drag MB to court and find them guilty that is a travesty, an injustice, a chicanery an insult on top of injury just to keep myself from using vernacular.
  • mlx52mlx52 Member Posts: 72
    The article above states that she was not capable of driving such a powerful car and that it seems to be Mercedes fault for giving it too much power. Please!!! If the women felt that she wouldn't be able to handle the power of the car THEN DON'T DRIVE IT and buy a ML 320, but don't blame it on a machine which only takes inputs from the DRIVER.

Just my opinion
    Jamie
  • cavman2xcavman2x Member Posts: 26
    I just had a relative visit from Italy and he really liked my 01 ML320. He has seen them over there and was wondering about Italian pricing. He was of the opinion that it is cheaper over there. I didn't think that was possible. (language barrier?) He also said that ALL MB products were cheaper there. Can anyone clarify this and show attachments if possible for any MB products? I know in Germany they are priced alot higher. TIA P.S. If that flack from NYC can't drive something with more power than a scooter then she should take a cab!!!
    Are you really surprised by that newsday article? Most of the big cities in the US are totally screwed up. People don't think logically any more. They just want to blame *inanimate objects* for bad things..let's call them "EVIL SUVs" so people think that an object can be EVIL; anyone who doesn't understand why this is an oxymoron should go back to school, but then our schools would be full...

It's because of the stupid general public nowadays that I fear the lawyer may actually convince a screwed up NY jury that that spoiled brat was incompetent instead of being a rich spoiled brat who needs a swift kick where the sun don't shine (reference to 70s show, but we can't put those words in this forum)-:
  • petersburg100petersburg100 Member Posts: 29
    MB M are cheaper everywhere in Europe than in the US although they are produced here! Most European goods are cheaper in Europe than in the US. I think Americans are ripped off especially w the European cars. I sold my BMW 740i w 15.000 miles for $22K before moving to the US. I was able to buy a VW Jetta V6 w leather seats with that money. The same Jetta would have cost me $15K in Europe. It is not only the cars which cost more in the US, it is everything: food, beer, housing, clothes. We let our 6 BR house in Europe w river views and 2 garages 10 min from international airport for 2 BR apartment in Washington DC. This sucks. Americans think they get good value for money but it is not true. They are being ripped off. I am really surprised that the Ameriacn press is silent about this. Don't yousee, you are RIPPED off. Do not buy an European car. They are too expensive here vis-a-vis European prices!
    Can help it, but it really disturbs me, according to the article the girl did what she did intentionally, when the reality hit, the slick lawyer came to the scene and quickly came up with a solution, the vehicle is at fault, because X, Y and Z. Now look at it for what it is, MB is making a great product for a specific segment, the slick lawyer turns it around and now is MB fault. It already is too late, some of the victims (LAWYER) are going to sue MB also, using the defense excuse to extract money.
    Before this is all over MB is going to sit in the acussed chair.

Unfortunately those who sit on those jury rooms leave a lot to be desired as far as intelligence and knowledge concerns, it does not take a lot of verbatism and legalese to confuse those feeble minds, and presto, the doubt is in, the law says beyond reasonable doubt. Case closed.

The real injustice is that the very inocent is going to have to pay and the guilty will be absolved and probably collect too.
    What a rotten world.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Remember the great Audi "unintended acceleration" debacle?
    No one takes responsibility anymore. You guys remember that Chevy Malibu(?) case where a drunk driver rear-ended the Chevy and the family got burned because their car caught fire? GM was fined a few billion bucks. It's a wonder the drunk driver didn't sue either for rear-ending such a "dangerous" vehicle. I feel so sick on hearing the verdict I should sue for emotional damages too.

Maybe the next time we rear-end someone we should sue MB too for making such a "powerful" vehicle. These lawsuits have become a travesty. And no judge is brave enough to throw these lawsuits out?
    I do remember that, but I think that was also GM's fault. It was pretty appalling and it was all about profits. IMHO, it served them right. Read all about it here:

http://www.freep.com/business/gmfire7_20000107.htm

One of the good thing about MB being run by engineers was that they didn't skimp on safety even in the early days. There were problems with the engineers running the company, but that's for another time.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    We are witnessing a new trend in the justice (Unjustice?) system. The strategy is to deflect guilt by finding another cause.

If that is the case anything can be rationalized and argued. Only the intelligent and educated can stay focus and separate the wheat from the chaff.

I thought the basic principle of justice was to punish the guilty, no more no less.
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    That it was the people's fault for getting in front of the SUV!

I think that they should sue the people for damage to the ML55 and the distraught to the lady.

:)

Robert
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Don't blame the justice system, which works just fine. The problem lies with the greedy morons and lawyers trying to avoid responsibility for their actions and make a buck in the process.
    Yes, but keep in mind that the lawyers, plaintifs and defendants are part of the justice system, so are jurors and judges, if any segment manipulates the system for their own advantage then it is wrong.

The system was never intended to operate the way is operating today, if we go to the past most of this stuff would be called ABSURD.

Endless academic dicussions, theories, hypothesis, detract from the main goal which is to get to the point.

My view
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    Parktronic!

luckliy (in an attempt to sway the conversation back on topic) on the 2002 Parkronic will be available as an option. to assist in situations such as this...

Robert
  • pooliopoolio Member Posts: 18
    The problem with todays society is that nobody's at falt for there actions,whether it would be murder, or eny other crimial act,nobody takes responsibality for there actions.It's never there FALT.
  • tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    Living on LI, and regularly visiting/working in Manhattan and the Hamptons, I have to weigh in on this one.

Lizzie Grubman is the type of person that decent, average folks hate. Snob personified. Thinks she is god's gift to the world. The "white trash" comment is a dead giveaway, make yourself feel better by putting down others.

If her lawyer somehow gets away with blaming the vehicle for this one, I'm turning in my Human Race club card.

WRT to Parktronic, it would have been worse! Why? Becuase the radar would have helped her zero in on more folks 8-P
    GET YOUR CARD READY. (you may need it)

I am sorry, for almost two years I have been talking about ML's from every angle, while I rant about this incident I will charge my batteries for some more ML talk.
  • medservamedserva Member Posts: 1
    I took possession of a ML320 today. By reading the posts here and collecting all the info that Edmund's offered, along with input from Drew, I was able to get the ML for $305.00 over invoice. I had expected there might be hard negotiating with the salesman, but that was not the case. It was a hassle-free experience. The 67-mile drive home from the dealership was a pleasure.
  • djdjdjdj Member Posts: 111
    Welcome to the group. Driving the ML gets better everyday.
  • pooliopoolio Member Posts: 18
    My ML320 tows two ATV's(Sportsman 500)Polaris every weekend total wt 1900lbs,including trailor.Handles beautifully.
  • a32a32 Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

Anyone with any tips to share about hood covers. I ordered an upper mask for my ML320 and now am considering the lower mask also. Is the lower mask a bother when washing ?

Thanks
  • itsuiitsui Member Posts: 15
    I just wondering the chrome front grill for the ML55 from the Clairparts. Does it came with the whole grill or just the chrome insert? I have a 01' ML320 (silver) and I painted the whole grill with the silver color. My wife hates it!(I thought it looks cool.) That's why she wants me to order the other grill to replace it. Well, she is the BOSS !!! :( Please help and thanks a lot.
    It's the whole grill. According to Drew our host, it's just a tad smaller than the regular ML grill but fits fine.
  • lemongrasslemongrass Member Posts: 21
    Hello everyone! I got my '01 430 for about a month now and the driving is GREAT! There were some minor issues but they were resolved under warranty. However, I'm little bit disappointed in the quality of craftsmanship. Could it be b/c it was built in Alabama?
  • proteus456proteus456 Member Posts: 65
    What kind of issues? I'm curious (have 2002ML on order)
  • bbilly11bbilly11 Member Posts: 3
    Hi guys, I am not sure if this was ever discussed but needed some help/info. Any idea what will be the changes on the '02 ML320? I thought MB changes shapes every 7 yrs. am I wrong?

Also are ML being dicounted because of 02 model by how much? and would it be worth waiting?

One more favor I have a 95 C280MB, VERY LOW miles what is the best way to sell it any websites?. If I sell it on my own I might get a little more than what dealers will pay...If not big differnce between ML 320 01 and 02 I might get the 01 ML 320 ....Any advice would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU
  • nhonickmannhonickman Member Posts: 5
    the ML2002 will add ML500 a 5 l V8 in place of ML430..

therre will be auto air, minor styling cue updates. intergrated fog lamps, window curtain air bags(not sure if front only), 17in wheels tires std on ML320 now..there other enhancements as well..I have no idea on pricing...

http://www.mercedes.com/e/cars/m-class/data_ml270.htm

try that website for pics and info

Anyone know what the current incentives are for the ML's...