Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    Any pics of your DVD install? :-)
    Also, do you leave your hatch open when you lug all that stuff? I've lugged some long things that have barely fit w/ the 2nd row down, but I could have user more length...
  • hilldhilld Member Posts: 5
    I shall take some pictures tonight and will post them. Yes, the tailgate is usually open on those trips home from Home Depot or Ikea, but I use tiedown straps to hold part of the tailgate closed. Only once did I have to rent a trailer to haul back some furniture (didn't fit in the back).
  • noelbongnoelbong Member Posts: 41
    I average 16.7 mpg in my '00 320 with slightly less than 5000 miles on it, mostly driving in the suburb.

guys, how often should fuel injector cleaner be used? My Toyota Sienna van was making a funny noise until I used 2 bottles of fuel injector cleaner in 2 tankful of gas, it has about 27,000+ miles on it.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Absolutely no fuel and or engine oil additives are to be added, as per your owner's manual warning. So, don't risk it :-)
    I too have noticed how disproportionately quickly the top half of the fuel gauge reading drops in relation to the lower half. I suspected that was the shape of the tank, but never knew for certain. Thanks for confirming this!

Do you leave the vehicle in Drive or neutral at the stoplights? I leave mine in neutral at the longer stop lights (30 seconds or above) and sometimes the transmission won't let you move till it has properly engaged the gear, so as to protect itself from damage. I do get some occasional hesitation if quickly shift from Neutral to Drive and then step on the gas, but it's not that noticable. I do know that the earlier (4 speed) MB transmissions used to shift into 2nd gear when at a completely stop, so as to reduce vibrations from idling. I'm not sure if the ML's does though.

If this issue is easily replicable, I recommend that you bring the service department shop foreman or technician + your service advisor along for a test drive, and actually replicate the problem for them and point it out right there and then.

I hope this helps!
    Sounds like a very nice setup. Looking forward to your pictures! Feel free to post them in the MB M-class owner's club: Accessories and modifications discussion topic, and then let us know so that we can have a look :-)
    My neighbour just had the Michelin 4X4 XPC tires put on his '99 ML320. They look quite nice. Beefier tread blocks than the Dunlops or the Generals:

There seems to be a break-in period for the bulbs. It seems that when they're new, they look a bit more yellowish after warmup, but certainly a lot whiter and brighter than the halogen bulbs. However after a bit of use, they should stabilise and be whiter.
    Glad that you managed to install them without setting them on fire :-). Do you have any tips to add to the ones that were posted?

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • cdiccdic Member Posts: 36
    I forgot about the fuel pump being cooled by the gas. I often let the light come on before filling up. I hope 12 leters is enough. (The light is a good thing, otherwise I might have to use the roadside assistance button.)

Most interesting about Castrol Syntec Oil as well. I have used it for a long long time, but will now reconsider using Mobil 1. (Got bad gas from a Mobil station once, caused a serious inconvinience, have avoided them ever since, lets see...that was in 1977!)

Ask your neighbor if the Michlins make more or less road noise than the OEM tires. Those are a bit beefier looking, and I would expect they may be a bit louder as well. Does it come in a 17" model for the 430's? (Never mind, I still have quite a few miles left to go on my OEM tires.)
    No. The XPC doesn't come in a version for 17" tires. We just went through this on the m-class mailing list. Only choices for off-roading are an upsized BFG AT/KO or Yoko Geolander.
    For on-road, I'd suggest looking at the new Dunlop SP5000s that will be standard for MY2002 on ML320/ML500.
    That is only provided the SP5000s will be available for 16" wheels for the '98-'01 ML320. Although the tire width is still 255, as you know, the '02s will all come with 17" wheels.
  • rover96rover96 Member Posts: 33
    forget about mpg, best thing to check is your fuel consumption & see how far your car can go with a tank full of gas, It's more accurate that way. I am driving to work everyday, 50 miles round trip with A/C on, 70 ~ 75 mph, sometime even go 80. hehe. (90% highway ,10% local driving) Engine gas mileage only gets better once the engine break in. BTW, leave it in Netural @ light (idle) will burn more gas!
    It will burn more gas in neutral? First time I've heard of that! How does that work?

A couple of years ago, one of the French auto manufacturers (Renault, I think) designed an auto tranny that would automatically go into neutral at stoplights and that saved up to 2 mpg in heavy stop and go traffic! I would think that it's better for the transmission too for longer periods, as you're not holding it back by using the brakes.

Drew
    Host
    I will ask the next time I see him :-)
  • hilldhilld Member Posts: 5
    The pictures have been posted in the Photo Gallery, here is the link:

"MB M-Class Owners: Photo Gallery DVD Entertainment System Pictures"
    ctic has an ML430, so 17" wheels and the Dunlop SP5000s should come in his size, no?
    I believe Ctic has a '00 ML320 with M7 ;-)
    Drew, thanks for the warning. Now I have to go check my Sienna's manual, hopefully it is okay to use fuel injector cleaner on the Sienna.

BTW, how does MB vehicles keep the fuel injector clean if no cleaner is to be used? Just curious.
  • cticctic Member Posts: 291
    ctic has a 00'ML320 with M7 (if that's the 3rd row seats) :-)

There's a cdic here also. Maybe you mean him/her?
    They probably use something similar (perhaps stronger?), but because of the fact that they have no control over what you may buy and put in, that's probably why they don't want you to add any additives yourself.

Drew
    Host
  • globus1globus1 Member Posts: 1
    My brand new 01 ML320 has only 500 miles and I also noticed same problem neicey59 describes. It happened two or three times. Just yesterday, after stopping at red light I pushed the gas pedal, and guess what, instead of zooming forward the truck went into thinking mode for a moment and then changed its mind and began the motion. Luckily there were no drivers behind to confuse when my break lights went off. I also noticed slight shaking of the car preceedding that moment. Do these episodes warrant a trip to the MB service department? Could it be fuel from a particular vendor? I only filled the tank once with 93 octane fuel. As neicey59 I also appreciate any insight.

Thanks.
    Sorry ctic :-)
    cdic asked if XPCs were available in 17" for his ML430...
  • biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    It could be the gas, yeah you put a 93 octane gas, But it depends if you got it from a good gas station IMO try to get your gas from diffirent gas station and if the problem is still there, its time to visit your dealer. quite a few on people on this board replaced their gas pedal,linkage and actuator for the similar problem. I cross my finger I don't have a problem similar to that on MY2000 ML320.
  • jn320jn320 Member Posts: 5
    I have had problems with my 320 hesitating within the first mile in the morning . At a stop sign, the engine acts like it is running on four cylinders and the tach needle jumps around. I put it in neutral and the revs go to about 800 then it surges to 1200 then goes back down to around 800 and runs fine. The dealer told us to use mid grade gas. That didn't help. They are now going to replace the engine control module and see if that helps.
    I dont know about the French, it may be something to do with a stick shift engine & clutch..., so all this combination may cause some different....
    Back to the point, simple, when u shift it out of netural, do u get a higer RPM? higher rpm means more air & fuel mixture, that in turn will drive the specific fuel comsumption up (fuel burn).

there are some few tricks I learn when I get my aircraft A&P license, It is helpful,
    battery installation +ve first, removal +ve last.

oil filter(can type, not applicable to ML320 or canister type) - put some oil inside filter housing before screw it in the block.
  • mihalikc1mihalikc1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a one week old 2001 ML320 with 350 miles. Enjoy the vehicle, but had it hesitate as I took off from a red light a few times on the original tank of gas from the dealer. Filled it up for the first time with 93 octane and it seemed to run well, but was mostly highway driving. Just filled it up today with mid grade 89 from a major gas company, and once again it seemed to hesitate, especially if the a/I is running. I had spoken to the dealer and they had set up a service visit, but I stupidly cancelled it yesterday when it seemed to be running well.
    Any ideas? Is this a frequently occurring problem for others?
    I did notice my ML hesitated too, but for only one or two times lately, also at the light. The gas pedal felt kind of rough and when I pressed it further down it shot off (throwing me back into the back of the seat) after hesitating for a second or two. Didn't think too much of it though. I was thinking it could be the extremely hot weather we are experiencing in the Chicagland lately?
  • chaddschadds Member Posts: 11
    Click and Clack the Tappet brothers said in the Washington Post that it puts greater wear on your transmission to shift to neutral at a light than to leave it in Drive. You could go to the next extreme and if the light is long enough turn off your car. While I'm here let me say that the populace of North America who complained and wouldn't wait out the learning curve on the '98/'99 rear seat folding mechanism have caused us all to lose that middle seat that was an actual seat with long distance comfort. That was a run on sentence. We also lost the three independently folding seat backs. I'll miss these features when I trade.
    Chadds
    While you on this subject, I would like to point out the window switch on 98 model, With the way it design, anyone can open or close the windows without even lifting your finger. Its a single point operation switch. I kind of like it. Too bad they change it afterward.
    Yes, I know about Click and Clack's advise. What they said is that whenever you shift into neutral from drive (and vice versa), the drivetrain is subjected a slight shock. They theorise that this is probably not good over the long run. However, since I don't do this at every traffic light. only at the longer ones, I'm not worried at all. I just set it into neutral and then apply the parking brake. My foot and leg gets a rest, and the vehicle doesn't have to be held back. Of course, I don't do this if it's on a slope.
    Good point, I didn't think about the idling for some reason. However, since the idle only goes up by about 200 rpms in neutral vs drive (while stopped), it's so miniscule that I don't really care. My fuel economy gains from that can easily be wiped out if I just drive a bit faster up the mountain where I live ;-).
  • akwasiakwasi Member Posts: 8
    Drew, I own MY01 ML320 with 7800 miles on it. I am also experiencing the engine hesitation ever since I took a long trip from Justin, Texas to Columbia,Missouri. I bought gas from different gas stations during the trip but mostly 91 Octane or higher. Ever since I came back to Justin, I have switched back to the gas station I used all the time with a 93 octane rating but the ML still hesitates at stop light. The PM also shoots up and the engine makes a "moo" sound like a cow even though I try to take of slowly when the green light(traffic light)comes on. I took it to the dealership and they told me they could not duplicate the problem but I experience it everyday. Do you have any idea what is going on, Drew?
    I did that for 10 years in my Integra because it vibrated enough at stoplights to annoy me (the ML doesn't). In the last year before I got rid of it, it had trouble getting into Overdrive when it was really cold out. Not that it means much though, because I had 152K on the odo....
  • dbonodbono Member Posts: 8
    We haven't experienced the hesitation being described so frequently here by folks with new MLs -- at least not yet! But it does make me wonder: the dealer said there was no break-in period for our new 01 ML 320, and also that we shouldn't bother with any oil change before the FSS indicates. Any thoughts? I would have expected both break-in and early oil change to be recommended, but at my dealer, it is being advised against.

BTW, the 2002s must be close. We ended up paying $2k under factory invoice.
    Just make me wonder... Why, suddenly the hesitaion on stop light only came out mostly on MY2001 I haven't heard this problem on MY2000 and older. What you guys think a glitz on computer on all 2001 model. Just for my observation.
  • bfengbfeng Member Posts: 6
    First question, is there a search feature in townhall that
    does a find on keywords over old posts in this forum?

2nd: Is there a consensus on best oil to use (Mobil 1 and what weight?)

3rd: Anything particular to watch out for when changing the oil filter?

4: Anyone unhappy with the "Topsider" oil changer?

5: Anyone replace their dust filter themselves? Since I've not seen a good
    aftermarket service manual for the ML, any advice would be appreciated.

John Feng
  • jn320jn320 Member Posts: 5
    Biker 5, I have a MY2000. As stated in my message #3929, my 320 hesitates within the first few minutes of starting after sitting overnight. After that it runs fine. It started doing this when the weather turned warm and humid. It sounds like other people that have posted have the hesitation problem at any time.
    Yeah, I went back and read your experience now I understand your complanint. Keep us posted whats up to your engine when the dealer replaced your engine module.
    I hope mine stay fine.
    Thanks,
    jim
  • cdiccdic Member Posts: 36
    CDIC => '01 Sport model 430 (for the record). I am hoping that Michlin will have a model for me by the time I need them. They make a great tire.

OIL EXTRACTOR:

I opted for the Tempo Oil Extractor instead of the Topsider. The Topsider looks to me like a gas can with a vacuum pump tacked on it. The Tempo unit is designed like a garden pump sprayer. I know they both work just fine, well worth the money. The Tempo unit has a disadvantage that the bottle will not remove the contents of the ML crankcase in one effort. It takes 2, the thing just doesn't hold that much oil (5 liters), but the extraction hose is easily removed where you pour out the contents. You will need another can to transfer the oil to before heading to the recycling center. You can see it here:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=201&prrfnbr=5591&outlet=

OIL FILTER:

This is a messy job, much more so than the oil extraction itself (unless you mistakenly remove the oil pan drain plug - now that is messy). Getting the o-rings off is a little difficult. I suppose you could cut the old o-rings off without getting oil all over your hands. Just have some paper towel hand before you start.

• bargamonbargamon Member Posts: 302
    The Topsider was ranked #1 by Powerboat Reports for cost, quality, and effectiveness and is the only hand pump they recommend. Just pump air out of the container, insert hose into dipstick tube, release pinch clamp, and let the vacuum pull the oil into the 21/2-gallon container" "10 minutes later your oil and sludge are drained! Metal container won't collapse like plastic ones can. Seals tightly for transport to proper disposal facility and recycling is easy. Its $46.99

I Don't car what the dam thing looked like, as long as it can suck it out in one application. To have to pour it out before finishing is absurd.
  • tracy_lebtracy_leb Member Posts: 39
    re oil filter removal: unscrew the filter slowly after you start the oil drain by topsider, oil drain plug, or whatever. Stop unscrewing the filter can just after the threads disengage from each other. Let it the can several minutes and there will be little oil remaining. Get a mid size plastic bag and remove the canister straight into the bag. To remove the o rings a small tool with a curve at the end works well. The curve holds the o ring after it comes off, and makes it easier to get under the o ring. Dental tools are excellent for this.

Also, if you use surgical gloves when working on a car you will enjoy the lack of grime and grease yer hands accumulate....

...Tracy
  • rs64rs64 Member Posts: 64
    And I thought those years of dental school were just a waste of time :)
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    our 98 ML320 got approx. 400 miles per tankful
    our 00 ML430 gets approx. 300 miles per tankful
    I tried to locate the oil drain plug but couldn't find it. Biker5 or anyone who drained their oil before, please help. A topsider begins to sound appealing. Thanks.
  • tracy_lebtracy_leb Member Posts: 39
    Indeed, it's easier to work on a car than to go to a dentist because...

10 you don't have to get your car numb before working on it.

9 your car will never complain about the 3' long tube you insert via it's dip stick to the bottom of it's oil pan.

8 your car will never waste your time trying to blather on through numb lips and a rubber dam.

7 you don't have to give your car a brush or toothpaste after you are done.

6 you won't have to wait 120 days for your car to pay you for your work.

5 your car won't flinch at the whine of a pneumatic drill.

4 your car will never die in the chair

3 your car will never call you at 3 in the morning wanting pain medication.

2 your car will never skip out on an appointment

1 your car will never cop a feel of the nurses behinds, unless you take them to lunch...
  • birgerbirger Member Posts: 80
    Hi,

one of my colleagues here drives an '01 E-Class wagon in what MB describe here as "Jaspisblau metallic" - a color that has recently been made available on the M-Class:

but AFAIK not on the E. Knowing that this colleague does not want to spend more than necessary, I wondered if it was a Designo color, and asked. Great surprise: If you INSIST! and are prepared to wait an extra three months for delivery, you can - at no extra cost apart from the usual metallic surcharge here - get ANY standard MB color on ANY Europe-produced MB vehicle (except the ML's built in Graz, I suppose). Interesting (but admittedly not very relevant).

On a more annoying note: My ML has been hit by the "gunk-on-sunroof" syndrome, too. We're having quite a heatwave at the moment here, and last Sunday a 5 x 5 in piece of the black asphalt tape which is used to sound deaden the roof was stuck to the outside of the glass sunroof when closing it. I'm scheduled to bring it in next Thursday and truly hope they'll be able to fix it without creating additional noises and without leaving asphalt fingerprints all over the interior.....

Apart from that, the diesel experience gets better and better. I just passed 10 K miles, and the engine has freed up notably.

Drive safely everyone!

Birger
    Good to hear from you again!

I had some glue stuck to the moonroof glass, but I cleaned it off (it's a PITA, and I had to use a strong chemical glass stripper to get rid of it completely; no damage to the glass, just had to use a lot of water). What the service tech did was to remove the insulation without dropping the headliner. I think he did it by removing the moonroof shade and pulling the insulation out from behind. There were two pieces removed...5" wide by 2" thick, and 2 feet long each. However, they did not replace these pieces because they assumed that it would get stuck again and that I wouldn't want that. I nearly immediately noticed more wind/road noise, albeit not terribly more but just a slight increase, from the rear roof area once I drove about 90 km/hr.

In any case, I'll have to bring it back to the dealership again to get them to put it back up. The MB glue doesn't seem to work well in hot temperature, so I will ask if I can bring the 3M black or yellow weatherstripping adhesive for them to apply in addition to the existing sticky backing. Things to look out for are fingerprints on the outside moonroof glass surface, proper alignment of the headliner with the various pillars, and fingerprints on the headliner fabric. And of course, make sure that all of your overhead lights and trip computer works properly after the service.

It appears that here in Canada, our paint situation seems to be similar to in Europe. We can get any colour (additional metallic surcharge does apply too), but with a limited selection out side the normal ones. The two that come to mind are Bourbon and Jasper Blue.
    Good to see you posting too!

LOL, I wonder if my dentist is reading this. I've told him about this site afterall ;-)

Drew
    Host
  • michml320michml320 Member Posts: 42
    Let them change the damn oil and let's talk about 2002! Ok ok just kidding but the only oil I change is on my motorcycle, my lawnmower, and my snowblower and I'm letting the dealer change the oil especially since it's free! So let's get on with 02 talk!