Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Yeah, I thought that was too much too, LOL. I guess what you will have to do is stop sucking up the oil when the container is about full, and then simply dump it out and continue.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • jll83jll83 Member Posts: 1
    I have a new 01 320 (1900 mi.). I've noticed a really high pitched whining type noise that seems to be coming from near the driver's side rear wheel well. When I turn the ignition off, the noise stops immediately. I have not noticed anything unusual in the performance of the vehicle however. Was just wondering if this is normal, if so, what's it from or is it something I definitely need to get checked out. Thanks for any input.
    It may be the fuel pump filter. A couple of other people had the same noise, and after this part was changed, the noise disappeared.

Please keep us informed!
  • arbabcarbabc Member Posts: 36
    Consider yourself lucky. You could have been waiting to get to the tunnel or in the middle of the tunnel on your way home to say NJ when the ML could have stalled. Worse yet, you could have gotten stranded in Newark on RT-1. I use that analogy because I used to live in Central Jersey and made that commute regularly into Manhatan.

The good thing is that you helped me decide not to get the ML. Maybe an E320 4-matic wagon but no way am I buying the ML. Speaking of which, Drew's comment on the E-class' fuel pump gives me pause yet again. Blaming fuel pump failure on fuel quality or lack there of, makes me wonder if MB uses engineers to design their vehicle, or big bubba from bubba's garage down in Bama.

For those of you still looking for the ML experience, the 2002 can be ordered for $1000 over invoice, from just about any MB dealer in NE Ohio i. e. Cleveland. Email me, and I'll forward you my dealer contact.
  • laterldflaterldf Member Posts: 37
    If M-B claims that their fuel pump failures are due to the high sulphur content in our gasoline, then do the other oem fuel pumps on other vehicles suffer from the same type problem(s)?

Does anyone know if the M-B extended warranty offered by M-B dealers covers the FSS service beyond 50k? later, ldf
    Actually, the problems have mostly been resolved with a revised fuel pump designs for both the ML and E-class. As such, the point is moot. The ML's most recent version was installed from January 2000 production onwards. It seems that people who are having the problems have had MLs from before that date. BTW, the older C-class also suffered from fuel pump issues.

If you talk to anyone who has a BMW or Audi, you'll see that they're not immune from it too.
    Sulphur is a contributor, but not necessarily the main cause. Other causes include older gas station underground fuel tank liners gumming up the earlier pumps. High sulphur levels also kill catalytic converters. Of course, the oil companies deny this.

The MBUSA free maintenance is only for 4 years or 50K miles, whichever one comes first. Since it's not a warranty issue, the extended warranty does not cover this.

Drew
    Host
  • tlwwsotlwwso Member Posts: 12
    Jll83:

I have noticed the same noise on my new ML320, but have heard this same noise on many high performance vehicles. I have been told that it is the fuel pump and is nothing to worry about.

tlwwso
  • biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    jll84,
    Yes it is a fuel pump. If I was you take it to the dealer and they will replace it under warranty. I been there twice... fuel filter and fuel pump.

jbujac,
    Your servicing dealer is going to process your claim I hope you have all the receipt, because thats where they go by...they reinbursed me every penny i've spend, Food and lodging.
  • richjnjrichjnj Member Posts: 5
    Does the BabySmart seat deactivate the rear side airbags on 01' ML320 or are you limited to placing child seat in middle of rear seat.
  • neil99neil99 Member Posts: 11
    It only deactiviates the front airbags. We have one in our ML. We always put the BabySmart seat in the middle of the rear seats. Once in a while I will put the BabySmart seat in the front passenger seat if my wife does not ride along so I can keep an eye on the little one.
    The side impact airbag is fine with the child seat, which is why there is no need to disable it. In a side impact collision, the side airbag will cushion the child seat from an impact, just as it will a normal sized person sitting there. You can place the Babysmart seat in any position, other than (obviously) the driver's seat.

Drew
    Host
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Add to that as long as your child is properly secured (like in the BabySmart seat) and is not leaning against the side airbags, he or she will be fine. Unfortunately some children are quite wriggly and, especially when they're in a booster or no child restraint at all, can end up leaning against the bag (e.g. they fall asleep). Best to discourage any such behavior. As long as they're not leaning against it they should be fine (I know, sometimes it's easier said than done with kids).
  • corine1corine1 Member Posts: 14
    I wanted to ask if anyone was having any trouble with their transmission sticking? I have a 2001 320 and it seems to really stick when I accelerate. Sometimes it goes as far as 6000 RPM's before it shifts. I took it in to the shop and they said their computer says its ok...I say it's not and am taking it back again on Wednesday. Any comments for me??

thanks
  • djdjdjdj Member Posts: 111
    Is this all the time? Or do you notice it more when the vehicle is just started up after sitting for a while?

The ML's and E-class I have driven upshift late when cold. It is designed this way so the engine and catalytic converter warm up quicker and become more efficient as soon as possible. It does feel like the car will never upshift.

My 2000 ML gets over it pretty quick. A 1999 E-class warmed up pretty quick, too. A 1996 E-class seemed to take a few miles. I assume other MB's do that too, but didn't notice it on the SLK (probably because I never let up off of the gas anyway).
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    How hard are you pressing the throttle?

Sometimes when I'm having fun I keep it floored and yes it will shift at 6000.

What happens when you lift off the throttle before 6000? does it shift then?

R
  • lemongrasslemongrass Member Posts: 21
    I'm still having problem with my trip comp.(date). After resetting the date, the next day it would jump off to a different date. Not user-friendly! Anyone care to share your experience with trip comp.?
  • cavman2xcavman2x Member Posts: 26
    Thanks!!! I noticed that from day one. I thought it was a problem since it only happens when it is cold (sitting overnight,not temperature)Makes sense because if you sit at idle until it comes off high idle it doesn't do it, G
  • skimmelskimmel Member Posts: 43
    I agree that it's easier said than done to keep a child away from the inside of the rear door. I read somewhere that, for the 2002 model, the rear side airbags can be deactivated if desired. Don't remember where I saw this info and it may be totally wrong. MB is the only company that I know of that won't do this (e.g., BMW has rear airbags but won't activate them unless you tell them to). This is, I believe, because of the concerns that richjnj raises of kids and side airbags. Many other cars (e.g., volvos) don't even have rear side-airbags (even if they have curtains for the windows).
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    To be fair, MB has found the rear side airbags to be safe in their testing, and there have been no incidents recorded. However, they do warn, as does NHTSA, to keep the child off of the side airbag. Don't let them sleep against it, lean against it, etc.

So long as they don't lean against it, the side airbag provides additional protection that they otherwise wouldn't get. Namely, if your child is in an outboard position and the seat comes between them and the airbag, it's better than not having the airbag at all.

One thing that might help the wriggly child is the Britax Super Elite, which is a BIG version of a normal forward-facing seat. It holds children up to around 80 lbs in a five-point harness, whereas usually you have to go to a booster. That should help, though not totally prevent, the child from leaning.

However, if a child is already used to the booster, he/she might not tolerate being put back into a five-point harness, so it's probably better to use the Super Elite as the seat after the convertible one.

Unfortunately Britax is having manufacturing problems and the seats are in extremely short supply, so much so that the web site just says to wait until the fall.
  • motodp1motodp1 Member Posts: 1
    I have owned my 2000 ML320 for a year. I think I have the least expensive ML320 around because the only option I have is the sunroof. I have put 23K hard miles (broken windshield and a hit and run)on it without any significant problems. However, I have experienced the following minor problems:

1. Both rear D-pillars have cracks in them
    2. The covering on my arm rest is loose
    3. Every time I open the sunroof and then close it, I notice some silicon-like material on the sunroof glass. The sunroof works fine.
    4. The seats they put in the base M-class are made out of the cheapest material on earth. My drivers seat developed a tear in it after six months. I threw a cover on it. All the other seats are fine.

As for my hit and run. Somebody damaged my front bumper in a parking lot. It looked like my ML had been hit in a NASCAR race because one side of the bumper cover was sticking out about two feet. I learned what looks like a front bumper is only a cover, so the damage was really only cosmetic. The cover cost about $400. Not bad for an MB.

I need to get it inspected by the end of September and hopefully MB will fix all the problems. I am worried about about the seat. Then again, I did fight Chrysler on my lemon Grand Cherokee (4 sets of brakes in 1 year)and they ended up giving me a new Grand Cherokee without too much hassle.

I usually get a new SUV or truck every year. I just went out and drove a few new SUVs to see what I would buy this year. I decided to keep the ML. It's too fun to give up. I let everybody know how my warranty repairs go.
  • sequoiasaurussequoiasaurus Member Posts: 240
    Just talked with my dealer and MB released pricing just a few hours ago. Drew's source was accurate! Don't know invoice yet b/c dealers don't have it yet.

Very good news for a vehicle with so many upgrades/improvements.

Thanks again for the tip Drew.
  • tlwwsotlwwso Member Posts: 12
    Lemongrass:

I noticed the same problem, but once I set the time and the date the problem went away. Kinda like setting a wrist watch with the day.

tlwwso
  • ccweemsccweems Member Posts: 33
    Planning on going to the Frankfurt show and only know that its not for the fainthearted. US travel agents are clueless. Would welcome any information via posting here or direct. Do promise to bring back and post pictures of ML import.
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    The goo on the sunroof is because the insulation has come loose. Tell your dealer to remove it and use *3M* adhesive to glue the new one on. Don't just use the MB glue. It sucks.
    The rest are known problems. They should know how to fix them.
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    I'll be there too. From what I gather there are 11 buildings to visit filled with car man and tuners. Bring Comforitable shoes and collecting pins to trade.

Bring a camera!
    Visit the major manufacturers first as those will be the most crowded. It should take a few days to cover but I have to squeeze them in two days.

R
  • c_j_gordonc_j_gordon Member Posts: 19
    Just brought my 99 ML 320 w/ 20k miles to dealer for Service B. Informed dealer that it sounded like valves were clattering or lifters were bad. I was right. They replaced all of the lifters. Anyone else experienced this?

Also, how do you remove rear bumper skin? I need to do this to mount my trailor wiring hook-ups. Thanks in advance.

Also, I have Thule racks with H2GO carriers and mast holders. Increase in wind noise is undetectable!

cjg
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    May I ask when is it going to take place? The reason I ask is because I am planning to go around October to Gaggenau to the Unimog club meeting.
  • kevin90kevin90 Member Posts: 7
    I am fed-up trying to re-set my trip computer time and time again. The longest it lasted without reverting to some weird date either in the future or past was two weeks. (I have a new 2001 ML 320.) I am going to have to take it back to the dealer. My other problem is the poor reception the FM radio gets. Generally, when I stop at a light, the sound gets way better. Anyone else have this problem?
  • michml320michml320 Member Posts: 42
    read on the other MB board. Bose/Third Row problems. Not sure but this would be rotten!
  • michml320michml320 Member Posts: 42
    Said until Oct 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ccweemsccweems Member Posts: 33
    For english try:

http://www.iaa.de/home.cfm?language=en&mID=1

Dates: 13 to 23 September 2001 first 2 days are more expensive but less crowded (so I've heard, experts join in).

I read previously that the show is so big that getting rooms is either expensive or impossible at this late date. Also dimly remember suggestion to stay is outside of town and take the train direct to exposition center. What town? I'd like to know that too!

• rockypaulrockypaul Member Posts: 104
    My 99 ML 320 trip computer was replaced by the dealer without my intervention on a "recall" or service advisory.

This dealer has replaced things or repaired things without any request from me over the years.

May well be that my often called needless appointments for oil and filter changes every 4-5000 mi., now with the Mobil One 0-40 weight has been worth while for both the dealer and me.

Now have 32,000 mi. without any major issues and have recommended the ML without hesitation to many who are considering an SUV.

Drew:

mentioned the on-going chats wrt fuel pumps and sending units. They said the first time I notice that the fuel gauge does not respond to a proper reading upon filling the tank that is their clue to replace the pump and sending unit. You are correct in stating last week that not all pumps are defective or are affected in the same manner by the pump gas available regionally in somewhat differing formulations.
  • sequoiasaurussequoiasaurus Member Posts: 240
    Lee what "other" board did you read this on?
    For the MY2002 delay, I'm not too surprised. I'm surprised they built them so early on. FYI, my 2001 was built on 9/18, but not delivered until 11/13...yep, 2 months...

gordon:
    The lifter problem affected a subset of 1999 models. Known problem. Your dealer should have fixed it long ago...
  • bertram60bertram60 Member Posts: 113
    just returned from a trip and picked up my ml. Dealer said it was the fuse and relay and they replaced them both. I looked at tech report and they showed fans drawing 22amps, so they are acting like this is an anomaly, but service rep. seemed to think this was the problem when I brought it in.

A/C seems to be working OK. My wife will let me know today if the car cools down (it was in the garage at the dealership, so it worked fine when I picked it up, but seemed a little weak when I used the truck later in the day). I will be keeping an eye on this. I had the rep pull all the work orders on the car since day one, and no other a/c problems, LOTS of lifter complaints and work was done, and the service rep seemed to believe that the original owner got rid of the truck due to this, not because of a new 55 that had come in (gee, would my salesman lie to me?).

I'm definitely in the market for a new truck for her though, Black is just too hot (even though all my cars have been dark). I think we're going to go for silver next time. I'll be waiting to see what the '02's do to the value of my '00 and will probably trade out as soon as there's some availability on '02's.
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    Took the ML down to Williamsburg, VA this past weekend for a 3 day weekend and going down there with outside temps in the high 90, close to 100, the A/C was just too cold, we even had to turn the knob all the way to the 11 o'clock setting. My kids at the back were complaining that it was just too cold. On our way back, with overcast and outside temps around the mid-80's and humid, we had to turn the knob to the 12 o'clock setting and we were all comfortable at that point.

BTW, this was the first long drive for the ML and it did not disappoint. The seats, IMO, were very comfortable. My back was not sore at all, although it was just a 2.5 hour trip.

One thing though, I found a little stone chip on my windshield yesterday. (bummer) I was waiting for my bug deflector to come in and decided to go without it, should've waited.
  • mtsangmtsang Member Posts: 70
    Can somebody tell me if both sides of the third row seats are removed from the ML, is there uncovered holes in the interior panels or exposed latches? This a question of esthetics. Thanks.

Mike
  • rs64rs64 Member Posts: 64
    When you remove the seats, a plastic slider piece covers the slot that the seat attaches to, so there is no exposed slot. However, the hooks in the middle of the floor are exposed when the seats are removed.
  • js888js888 Member Posts: 11
    Gordon:

What's the build-date of your 99-ML320?

Kenyee says the lifter problems affected a small subset of 99 models. Does anyone know the build dates of those MLs?

Joe
    rs64:
    Aren't those hooks normally there even w/o the 3rd row seats? They're the cargo attachment hooks in the cargo area...

js888:
    Interesting...I just looked up my Notes on this and it was for 1998 models. The MB Net msg is 279 if you want to ask your service advisor to dump it for you...
    I think he was referring to the anchors where the 3rd row seats clamp onto. Our non-M7 MLs do not have these anchors or latches installed into the sidewalls. However, the plastic cutouts are there.
    FYI, the two anchors 3rd row seat that are in the middle of the cargo floor can be covered but purchasing the plastic cover that the ML55 AMG comes with. IIRC, it's pretty inexpensive and if you really want it for aesthetic purposes, your parts department would be more than happy to order it for you.

Drew
    Host
  • ft1ft1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

My mother inlaw has a ML 430, the right front tire is wearing but the other tires are fine. The dealer is telling her that it's doing that because of the way she is driving, And because it is an all wheel drive car, And that one wheel pulls more than the other front wheel.

It sounds more like an alignment problem to me. They also replaced all four brakes at only twenty five thousand miles. They told her again it was the way she is driving. I've never had a car need all four brakes at once with such low mileage. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Ft1
  • moeck1moeck1 Member Posts: 4
    There are software problems in the 2001 MCS / NAV system which causes the NAV to give bogus readings sometimes. If you have a phone also, it will sometimes tell you "no phone installed". I have addressed this with my dealer (who is also my client) and this info comes from a reliable source. They are trying to get it fixed, but apparently haven't figured it out. Not a problem on 2000's (at least mine until I sold) but my 2001 55 gives me intermittent headaches! They will have to replace the entire unit once they become available. I check every few weeks and get updates direct from my service man who I 've know for 30 years.
    Just have to wait it out.
    Mo Eckley
  • js888js888 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks Ken for your info.

Is dealer the only one able to access the MB Net Msg.? Or can I access those msgs?

TIA

Joe
    js888:
    It's their private service forum that links service depts w/ MB...
  • mtsangmtsang Member Posts: 70
    how 'bout the inside side panel (above the wheel well area) cutouts for pivot arms, is there a hole there if the seats are removed?

Drew, rs64 and Ken: thanks for the speedy feedback. You guys are ALL OVER IT!!! : )
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    The story of one wheel pulling more than the other is nonsense, the differential will split the torque evenly, but the wheel could be out of aligment, the rigth front tire is the one most commonly out of aligment because is the tire that hits the most pot holes, curbs, water holes, etc.

The brake pads in a Mercedes will wear sooner than in most vehicles, but there is a reason for it, they use softer pads, that is why you see so much black powder on the rims, the gains however are that you rotors will last longer and require less often resurfacing, in the long run those savings will more than offset the price of more frequent pad changes, plus those soft pads is what gives us those wonderfull brakes without grinding. And yes, driving habits and conditions affect the life of the brakes.

Just a reminder that the MB chat is on tonight (6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/mercedeschat.html