Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• f888l888f888l888 Posts: 45
    Drew

Thanks for the topside information. I will get one soon.

I was thinking about a pure 2 seater car. So, I was not really giving thought about 2+2 coupe. Since I have already owned a people as well as cargo hauler, I'd like to get a toy car. And I intend this will be my last purchase of car for this life. I was looking at Audi TT which looks like a toy, but it offered no manuauto ( I know some people prefer stick) or at least auto. The Z 350 looks promising in paper, looks like a toy but comes with decent engine with auto. The SL is most technology sophisticated, a roadster and a coupe in one, active body, etc., etc. Anyway, the decision will not be made until sometime in early 2003.(This time I will have the final say about the matter.) Regards,
  • biker5biker5 Posts: 199
    i think the correct capacity of the regular topsider is only 2 1/2 gl. not 21.5 gl or thats what you mean...I went to the site and it say 21.5 that gonna be a big can.
  • Well, sorry to say that I sold my ML320 to a used car outfit yesterday. Although I was very impressed with the vehicle overall and with the service department, it left me stranded 4 times with continued fuel pump problems. In my state, the Lemon Law still would not apply so that was not worth pursuing. However, on a good note I thought I'd let you all know that the resale value was pretty good.

After 20 months of ownership, the price I received from a dealer(!) was $9140 less than I originally paid for it, which works out to $457 per month. Not bad for a luxury SUV. I had advertised in the paper (less than a week) hoping to sell it myself but the offer from the dealer seemed good enough to avoid the trouble. BTW, mine was in outstanding condition.

As it worked out, on a potential trade-in the dealers were offering me $3k less. So I ended up selling it outright to another dealer and then making a separate transaction on a new vehicle with a different dealer.

I'd still recommend an ML320 to somebody interested in buying a new SUV, or maybe the new Acura.

This message board is great ... so long!

spamaway007@aol.com
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    ML320 Base Model Price: $36,300.
    ML500 Base Model Price: $44,950.
    ML55 Base Model Price: $65,900.

Although the above is unconfirmed, you can expect the '02 models to sell at, or very close to MSRP.
  • wmquanwmquan Posts: 1,817
    Nice, and impressive ... $500 increase in base of an ML320 isn't much at all considering the addition of base items like side curtains, front/rear fully automatic climate control, tilt reversing mirror, etc. A lot of folks would pay $500 just to get the side curtains, so there really isn't an increase in my book. Competition doesn't hurt, either.

I'd assume that the 2002's will command MSRP for a while, but after a few or several months there'd be some discounting, though there's only about a $3k spread between invoice and MSRP. 2001 prices seemed to drop fairly quickly though some of that was the anticipation of the 2002.
  • Drew,
    Do you have a reliable source for your info? Thanks for that. Still no word on delivery! Waiting is the hardest part!
  • Thanks Drew! Do you believe your source is reliable? I hope so.

Last I saw 8/13/01 was the target release date but as we all know that may get pushed back due to high volumes of 01's left.
  • jbuhacjbuhac Posts: 4
    Hi, I haven't been following the forum for the past year, so sorry if this is a well covered topic. My 2000 ML430 with 34k miles failed to start in a NYC garage on the Friday. Had to rent a car to get home, 150 miles away, and will have to take the train back of Tuesday to pick it up. The roadside assistance guy suggested it is probably a fuel pump and there are a lot of problems with these. Seems to me a sad state of affairs in a $48K vehicle. Any ideas, and any tips on reimbursement for all my expenses from MB. Are they supposed to bring the vehicle back to me? Should I get a Land Cruiser next time ?
    Even the E-class can have fuel pump issues, and that vehicle is even more expensive than the ML. Part of the reason is our high sulphur levels in our gasoline, courtesy of the petroleum companies.

Earlier built '00 MLs did have one of the older fuel pumps that could have problems. You may be interested in this message. Your ML probably could've been started if you had given the tank or the pump area a couple of whacks.
    drew_ Aug 4, 2001 2:43pm

Your warranty does cover trip interruption for both alternative transportation, and hotel accomodations. I believe what you do is give your receipts to the service manager at your dealership and they'll be refunded back to you (though not immediately).
    Sorry, I have no idea if the source is reliable or not. It's a 50/50 chance at this point. I'm just passing along info :-). If I do get confirmation, I'll let everyone know as always.

Stay tuned...
    Yeah, I thought that was too much too, LOL. I guess what you will have to do is stop sucking up the oil when the container is about full, and then simply dump it out and continue.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • jll83jll83 Posts: 1
    I have a new 01 320 (1900 mi.). I've noticed a really high pitched whining type noise that seems to be coming from near the driver's side rear wheel well. When I turn the ignition off, the noise stops immediately. I have not noticed anything unusual in the performance of the vehicle however. Was just wondering if this is normal, if so, what's it from or is it something I definitely need to get checked out. Thanks for any input.
    It may be the fuel pump filter. A couple of other people had the same noise, and after this part was changed, the noise disappeared.

Please keep us informed!
  • arbabcarbabc Posts: 36
    Consider yourself lucky. You could have been waiting to get to the tunnel or in the middle of the tunnel on your way home to say NJ when the ML could have stalled. Worse yet, you could have gotten stranded in Newark on RT-1. I use that analogy because I used to live in Central Jersey and made that commute regularly into Manhatan.

The good thing is that you helped me decide not to get the ML. Maybe an E320 4-matic wagon but no way am I buying the ML. Speaking of which, Drew's comment on the E-class' fuel pump gives me pause yet again. Blaming fuel pump failure on fuel quality or lack there of, makes me wonder if MB uses engineers to design their vehicle, or big bubba from bubba's garage down in Bama.

For those of you still looking for the ML experience, the 2002 can be ordered for $1000 over invoice, from just about any MB dealer in NE Ohio i. e. Cleveland. Email me, and I'll forward you my dealer contact.
  • laterldflaterldf Posts: 37
    If M-B claims that their fuel pump failures are due to the high sulphur content in our gasoline, then do the other oem fuel pumps on other vehicles suffer from the same type problem(s)?

Does anyone know if the M-B extended warranty offered by M-B dealers covers the FSS service beyond 50k? later, ldf
    Actually, the problems have mostly been resolved with a revised fuel pump designs for both the ML and E-class. As such, the point is moot. The ML's most recent version was installed from January 2000 production onwards. It seems that people who are having the problems have had MLs from before that date. BTW, the older C-class also suffered from fuel pump issues.

If you talk to anyone who has a BMW or Audi, you'll see that they're not immune from it too.
    Sulphur is a contributor, but not necessarily the main cause. Other causes include older gas station underground fuel tank liners gumming up the earlier pumps. High sulphur levels also kill catalytic converters. Of course, the oil companies deny this.

The MBUSA free maintenance is only for 4 years or 50K miles, whichever one comes first. Since it's not a warranty issue, the extended warranty does not cover this.

Drew
    Host
  • tlwwsotlwwso Posts: 12
    Jll83:

I have noticed the same noise on my new ML320, but have heard this same noise on many high performance vehicles. I have been told that it is the fuel pump and is nothing to worry about.

tlwwso
  • biker5biker5 Posts: 199
    jll84,
    Yes it is a fuel pump. If I was you take it to the dealer and they will replace it under warranty. I been there twice... fuel filter and fuel pump.

jbujac,
    Your servicing dealer is going to process your claim I hope you have all the receipt, because thats where they go by...they reinbursed me every penny i've spend, Food and lodging.
  • richjnjrichjnj Posts: 5
    Does the BabySmart seat deactivate the rear side airbags on 01' ML320 or are you limited to placing child seat in middle of rear seat.
  • neil99neil99 Posts: 11
    It only deactiviates the front airbags. We have one in our ML. We always put the BabySmart seat in the middle of the rear seats. Once in a while I will put the BabySmart seat in the front passenger seat if my wife does not ride along so I can keep an eye on the little one.
    The side impact airbag is fine with the child seat, which is why there is no need to disable it. In a side impact collision, the side airbag will cushion the child seat from an impact, just as it will a normal sized person sitting there. You can place the Babysmart seat in any position, other than (obviously) the driver's seat.

Drew
    Host
    Add to that as long as your child is properly secured (like in the BabySmart seat) and is not leaning against the side airbags, he or she will be fine. Unfortunately some children are quite wriggly and, especially when they're in a booster or no child restraint at all, can end up leaning against the bag (e.g. they fall asleep). Best to discourage any such behavior. As long as they're not leaning against it they should be fine (I know, sometimes it's easier said than done with kids).
  • corine1corine1 Posts: 14
    I wanted to ask if anyone was having any trouble with their transmission sticking? I have a 2001 320 and it seems to really stick when I accelerate. Sometimes it goes as far as 6000 RPM's before it shifts. I took it in to the shop and they said their computer says its ok...I say it's not and am taking it back again on Wednesday. Any comments for me??

thanks
  • djdjdjdj Posts: 111
    Is this all the time? Or do you notice it more when the vehicle is just started up after sitting for a while?

The ML's and E-class I have driven upshift late when cold. It is designed this way so the engine and catalytic converter warm up quicker and become more efficient as soon as possible. It does feel like the car will never upshift.

My 2000 ML gets over it pretty quick. A 1999 E-class warmed up pretty quick, too. A 1996 E-class seemed to take a few miles. I assume other MB's do that too, but didn't notice it on the SLK (probably because I never let up off of the gas anyway).
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Posts: 278
    How hard are you pressing the throttle?

Sometimes when I'm having fun I keep it floored and yes it will shift at 6000.

What happens when you lift off the throttle before 6000? does it shift then?

R
  • I'm still having problem with my trip comp.(date). After resetting the date, the next day it would jump off to a different date. Not user-friendly! Anyone care to share your experience with trip comp.?
  • cavman2xcavman2x Posts: 26
    Thanks!!! I noticed that from day one. I thought it was a problem since it only happens when it is cold (sitting overnight,not temperature)Makes sense because if you sit at idle until it comes off high idle it doesn't do it, G
  • skimmelskimmel Posts: 43
    I agree that it's easier said than done to keep a child away from the inside of the rear door. I read somewhere that, for the 2002 model, the rear side airbags can be deactivated if desired. Don't remember where I saw this info and it may be totally wrong. MB is the only company that I know of that won't do this (e.g., BMW has rear airbags but won't activate them unless you tell them to). This is, I believe, because of the concerns that richjnj raises of kids and side airbags. Many other cars (e.g., volvos) don't even have rear side-airbags (even if they have curtains for the windows).
    To be fair, MB has found the rear side airbags to be safe in their testing, and there have been no incidents recorded. However, they do warn, as does NHTSA, to keep the child off of the side airbag. Don't let them sleep against it, lean against it, etc.

So long as they don't lean against it, the side airbag provides additional protection that they otherwise wouldn't get. Namely, if your child is in an outboard position and the seat comes between them and the airbag, it's better than not having the airbag at all.

One thing that might help the wriggly child is the Britax Super Elite, which is a BIG version of a normal forward-facing seat. It holds children up to around 80 lbs in a five-point harness, whereas usually you have to go to a booster. That should help, though not totally prevent, the child from leaning.

However, if a child is already used to the booster, he/she might not tolerate being put back into a five-point harness, so it's probably better to use the Super Elite as the seat after the convertible one.

Unfortunately Britax is having manufacturing problems and the seats are in extremely short supply, so much so that the web site just says to wait until the fall.