Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• djdjdjdj Member Posts: 111
    Most of the readers seen to have fairly low mileage on their vehicles so far. I was wondering if anyone has hit six digits yet and, if so, how everything is running with that kind of mileage.

I love driving mine and put on 5,000 miles faster than I ever have before, so I was wondering how well it will hold up at 150,000 miles.

People I know with older Mercedes find the drive train is okay but a lot of the other systems are really costly to repair so they just skip the power door locks and such.
  • johnnnycjohnnnyc Member Posts: 166
    I had originally bypassed the M-Class in a quest to get the MDX, but since I've had several months wait to see the 2002's of other manufacturers roll in, my eye was caught by the 2002 M-Class.

Does anyone have any pricing info or website reviews, specifically around the 500? I'm looking for a car that could possibly seat seven, would have decent horsepower (my 2001 MY ML320 test drive disappointed me; seemed like such a heavy car should have more oomph for my taste).

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Also - is there anywhere that 2000 and 2001 MY reliability info is kept? I was originally turned off by the M-class due to poor reliability of earlier M-class models. This is supposedly better in later years, but I've yet to see anything concrete proving it.

Finally - any good websites for M-class discussion, outside of this one? I don't want to promote outside sites, but there's always room for more than one good discussion site, on any topic.

Thanks for the help,
    -John
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    Concrete info can be found here or on the m-class mailing list (www.off-road.com/mbenz). It's a good sample of owners. The problems that still exist are common enough for everyone to know about them (like the insulation glue, etc.). You should have seen the complaints drop off from MY1999 to MY2000. There are still lemons like what Victus got, but that happens w/ every maker.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    For pricing, you can go to www.kbb.com and find the 2002 M-class. It'll show invoice and MSRP pricing for all models. It also has one of those handy built-your-own tools that properly show you which option requires which other option.

Enjoy your test drive!
    Should I expect to pay closer to invoice or MSRP for this vehicle?

I was thinking ML500 - but budget constraints might push me back to the ML320, unless I can get closer to invoice (or at least $1500 off MSRP).
    Usually the initial orders backed up for a new model year, especially one with improvements like the 2002, will go for MSRP. Plus supposedly the supply will be limited initially.

However, if you read back in the eighty or so messages prior to this one, I think there are four or five references to getting discounts under MSRP. Check it out.

(Please note that the difference between invoice and MSRP for the M-class is not very large, especially compared to the MDX and RX300. So the dealers have less wiggle room to begin with.)

A poster from Georgia mentioned getting $500 off of an 2002 ML500 but a good deal on the trade-in. Another poster in New Jersey says he was offered $1,000 off over the phone without even discussing discounts, implying that he could have gotten more. And the best was a dealer in CA offering a 2002 for only $1,000 above invoice for a loaded ML320 (about a $2k-$3k discount, depending on the options). Poster listed the dealership name and the Internet sales manager.

Another poster mentioned a $1,500 discount on a 2002 ML320, also well-equipped.

Last year, after a few months, the 2001's were being had in large metro areas like your's for $500 - $1,000 above invoice, even before MB incentives came in to clear out the 2001's. Given the ready discounts on the 2002's in some areas according to these posts, you may see a similar situation ($500 to $1,000 above invoice).
  • sequoiasaurussequoiasaurus Member Posts: 240
    My local dealer matched the CA dealer with $1000 over factory invoice for a 02 ML320. No problems. I will take factory delivery sometime in early Oct.

I finally saw one this week and the exterior improvements look great. Better tail lights/bumper and much more aggressive front end. I really like how the side mirrors look like other MB's models..same shape and has the turn indicators too.

I can't wait to get mine!

and yes as my forum name indicates I do own a Sequoia and am very very happy with it. The ML is for my wife and me when she's not looking I will be out driving it! :) Remember the Lexus commercial from last year when the guy is out driving all night...That's me.
    The new MBUSA.com does not offer a view to the new ML directly from the front page. However if you copy this url it will get you to it. Check out the "new for 02" section and the features tab.

http://209.167.164.66/brand/container.jsp?/models/main.jsp&modelCode=ML320

Hi all-

Sorry for the long post - I do appreciate your time and info - I'm completely outmatched in my search for a new car. :(

I'm one of the impatient folks waiting on a 2002 Acura MDX. I wasn't completely sold on the Acura, and my wife especially wasn't, so I continue to shop around while awaiting my Dec/Jan delivery date.

I was about even in the decision between a 2001 MDX and ML320 - with the ML losing out because of initial reliability issues with the M-class, and the lack of a few features I considered necessary (the lack of climate control and rear AC pretty much did it in).

The 2002 MY's have those features - so now, I'm taking a closer look at the ML320 and 500. Since the 500's new, I really can't understand how it differs (I know engine, but not much else) from the 320.

If any of you have opinions/answers to the following questions, please let me know. I'm not here to flame - I think the ML is a great car, but a friend with a 1999 was not very pleased, mostly due to reliability. I'm ready to take a second look though.

1. ML320 vs. ML500

Seems to me that the 215 HP of the 320 is a bit underpowered (MDX has 240; rumored to go up to 250 for 2002). Does the engine need the extra oomph of the 500? Does the 500 come with standard equipment that I'd be paying for with the 320 that merits consideration? I'm budgeting around $45k w/ taxes (NYC - 8.25%), but am a bit flexible.

2. Reliability.

Anyone here with a 2000 or 2001 that cares to chime in about this? Should I be worried, or were the reliability issues related to the earlier releases?

3. Extended warranty.

How much is it, what are it's terms? I think I'd prefer a warranty, what with the cost of auto repairs these days.

4. Included maintenance for 4/50.

How much is this worth? I'm trying to compare the value of Acura vs. MB, but Acura doesn't include maint. This could be something worth about $600-1000 overall, so I should include the price.

5. Invoice vs. MSRP.

Acura dealers are the scum of the earth. They're having a fun time, what with the supply issues, billing unreasonable amounts over MSRP (I managed to HAGGLE one down to MSRP). Should I expect invoice pricing, MSRP, or somewhere in between? I don't care about time of delivery - I can receive anytime between now and January.

6. Options you can't live without.

Anything on these cars that you (the members of the forum) agree are musts? I've configured the 320 with Xenons, M1,M5,M7 and the Bose system. Anything I missed? Should I be going with the 500 instead?

7. Navi system.

I keep hearing MB's navi's are tough to manage. I also heard that Alpine started making their systems, from 2001 and beyond. Are they worth the $1700? Can I go aftermarket, or install later on?

Admittedly - I wasn't prepared to pay $50k for a car this year (been a tough year), but with a baby on the way, I want safety and reliability for wife and kid.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

-John
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    I will not attempt to answer all your questions, but will offer my view in regards to reliability.

I own a 99 ML430, I had it for three years by now and never had any trouble with it, would I buy another ML, for sure, I just went to see the new ML500, I just don't know if it makes sense for me to trade now or wear out my ML and then trade.

When you talk about reliability, what exactly are you referring to, I have been monitoring this topic for over two years, because when I purchased my ML the rumor was that, it was an unreliable vehicle, given mostly by the car "rags", that is the word I use now. I thought I made a mistake by buying the ML, well, as the years went by I came to realize that there is nothing wrong with the vehicle, is a case of semantics, a rattle here and there, a misfit piece of upholstery, the infamous glue or grease, and things like that are not reliability issues, reliability issues are those that cause the vehicle to live you stranded, and that is not the case with the ML, the only issue that I am aware of causing a vehicle not to start, was the fuel pump, and now it seems that it was not the fuel pump per se, but contaminated fuel from the gas stations that would clog the fine inlet filter to the pump, as a matter of fact it seems like the ML is very sensitive to the quality of the fuel, again from monitoring this topic for over two years.

Again the ML does not have an unreliable record but a fit and trim problem, I think MB heard enough about it. My ML does have a sometimes a sound to it, it come from the upholstery rubbing against each other, but in fairness I have to say it is a natural sound and there is nothing wrong, that is the way is built.

On the plus side for the ML I have to say that of the medium sized SUV it has one of the strongest frames and the low reduction gear box is a plus to have if you are going to pull a heavy load uphill or going into rough terrain, it gives you power and control at low throtle, an aspect that many people overlook or not even think about, to me a fundamental aspect of a utilitarian vehicle. In fact the ML is a strong truck that rides like a car, it has a very precice steering, excellent ergonomics (you realize it after a while).

I may sound sound like an MB salesman, but quite the opposite, I always tell the douftfull souls to buy something else.
  • marylandml320marylandml320 Member Posts: 21
    While on vacation in Orlando, FL, I decided to drive to Tuscalossa and take the Mclass factory tour. It was worth the drive, the tour is 1 1/2 hours long, you get to see a Mclass built from beginning to end. They more so put it together versus building it since the parts come preassembled. For example the whole dash is sent to the factory presassembled minus the radio and steering wheel. They place and secure the whole dash in less than 35 seconds. From what I seen the headlights should fit pre 02 models. The new wheels look okay in real-life. The ml500 has chrome on the rear hatch, on the door handles, and has colored wheel caps, I didn't see chrome on the grill. Interesting facts: they build atleast 300 Mclass vehicles aday, the paint is water-based, the frame and the body is mounted and secured in about 15 seconds and must fit perfectly....
  • cavman2xcavman2x Member Posts: 26
    I have a silver 01 ML320 with 6500 mi(6 mos). There are alot (10+) of paint "nicks" all over the car. They are ONLY on the steel parts (not bumpers,mirrors)These are obviously being caused by pebbles on the roads.They are all around the size of a pencil point. The paint is gone right down to the primer-base. I have never taken this vehicle offroad and is driven mostly around town (Northern NJ)I have owned 4 new vehicles in the past 6 years and have never seen anything like this. It is almost like the paint isn't bonded well with the primer. I just came back from Myrtle Beach and there were 3 more with one being at the rear edge of a door handle well. I know this might sound petty to some but I have never experienced anything like this and was wondering if anyone else has the same problem. I am afraid what it will look like in 2 years.TIA G PS The vehicle drove great, forgot I was in an SUV.
  • lemongrasslemongrass Member Posts: 21
    While washing my ML430 I noticed 2 paint 'nicks' on the hood :( and can only assume that it came from pebbles or small rocks. They're about the size of a pencil point or just a bit bigger and I can see down to the metal! Pretty scary!!!
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    I have found that the hood deflector works very well in keeping stone chips on the hood. In 22+ months of ownership, there are zero paint chips on my ML's hood, knock on wood. The deflector also seems to do a good job at deflecting bugs and snow off the windshield. These days, the environmentally friendly water based paint that manufacturers are using are not as tough as the previous lead (?) based paint. As such, they are more prone to chips. Those invisible bras made of 3M Scotchcal material are also supposed to be quite good at preventing paint chips.

Thanks for your trip and factory report. Most interesting. Were you allowed to take any pictures inside the factory?

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    The ML's MCS unit is made by Alpine, as is the navigation system. All MLs from '00 onwards have the MCS. Other manufacturers, such as Honda, also use Alpine. The ML's system, however, is not DVD-based.
  • marylandml320marylandml320 Member Posts: 21
    Nope, no photography allowed in the factory, on another note. They were selling the Mclass book for $2.50 (originally around $29.00) and I picked up an all metal ML55 model for $7.00 bucks (originally $38.00)...
  • gustavmgustavm Member Posts: 43
    <<The new MBUSA.com does not offer a view to the new ML directly from the front page. However if you copy this url it will get you to it. Check out the "new for 02" section and the features tab.>>

Jack,

Thank you very much for this great link. I had been checking the site very often, anxiously and impatiently awaiting new information on the M-Class.

-- Gustav
  • melissaomahamelissaomaha Member Posts: 6
    I just put on 4,000 miles on my ML320. I too had the final choices down to the MDX and the ML. The list I made came down to safety, third row seating, insurance cost and service departments. Safety: MB hands down. 3rd row: I believe the 3rd row seats in the MDX are completely inferior to the MB and are not to be used for a child above 40 lbs. Insurance: I save approx. $200 a year with the MB. My husband purchased a E430 earlier this year and the dealership/service department is top notch. I thought the Acura dealer was okay and no experience with the service department. The long wait and no dealing on price did not help with the choice. But if you check around to other dealers in other states, sometimes they get a vechicle that the person has changed their mind and they will deal (a little). I got $2400 off sticker with my ML320 . Black Opal, Metallic, Java Leather, M2, M1, M7, Bose sound system, sunroof, heated front seats. (MB dealer also hired my 15 year old son to wash cars on Saturdays) I understand the free car washes on Saturday here in Omaha are coming back due to popular demand.

I never had a problem with the ML so far and love driving it. I went from a Nissan Quest Mini Van (liked it), but I really LOVE this SUV. Not too big, not too small and a lot of fun to drive.
    Good luck in your decision and I hope I helped.
    I also considered the MDX's third row seating to be somewhat flimsy. As far as safety's concerned, I'd feel more comfortable in an MB than an MDX, but maybe that's just me.

Seems like no one here bought the extended warranty though - is that confidence on the MB reliability, the fact that people change cars more often than the warranty cycle, or am I just a big worrywart wasting money on something that's more expensive than it's worth?

I'd like to say I plan on keeping this vehicle 10 years - but I wonder if it's worthwhile to keep *ANY* vehicle that long anymore. Now, I'd have to convince my wife otherwise. She's all for keeping any car for the life of the vehicle.
    I thought long and hard about the extended warranty. It came down to this...If, in 4/5 years I plan on trading my ML in for a different MB, the extended warranty I purchased could not be carried over to the new vehicle. I would have paid all that money...it did seem to me to be a lot of $$$. If plan on keeping it for a long time, then I would do it. In 4/5 years I will have only 1 child left at home and will not need all the seats and will be heading into my mid-life crisis and will be looking at some hot sporty car!!! Ha Ha!!

Also, other ML extras: Must have the floor mats, cargo net and car washing kit.
  • poxpox Member Posts: 11
    Suvlvr

I was on vacation for a few days so I could not reply to your message last week. The name of the sales rep who worked with me at Smythe European in San Jose CA was Mike LeGear. He was great and I heartily recommend him.

I forgot to mention in my earlier posting that when I was shopping for an ML, I also checked out Autobahn Motors in Belmont CA. They are much closer to where I live and so I went there first. But after three very frustrating visits there, I came to the conclusion that they did not care about customer satisfaction. The last time I went there, I had an appointment with one of the sales reps. Unfortunately, the sales rep was not at work and no one at Autobahn seemed to care (not even when I showed them a copy of the E-Mail that I had exchanged with the sales rep). I never heard back from the sales rep, so I decided to take my business elsewhere. Maybe they had a lot of business from the dot.commers at that time and figured that they could afford to be arrogant!

Pox
    I thought long and hard about the extended warranty. It came down to this...If, in 4/5 years I plan on trading my ML in for a different MB, the extended warranty I purchased could not be carried over to the new vehicle. I would have paid all that money...it did seem to me to be a lot of $$$. If plan on keeping it for a long time, then I would do it. In 4/5 years I will have only 1 child left at home and will not need all the seats and will be heading into my mid-life crisis and will be looking at some hot sporty car!!! Ha Ha!!

Also, other ML extras: Must have the floor mats, cargo net and car washing kit.
  • suvlvrsuvlvr Member Posts: 7
    Great to hear from you pox, hope you had a good few days off. After getting a lot of heads up for the good folks on this board, I am getting ready to DO IT in the week after the Labor Day Weekend. Will go down the list I compiled (now with your entry added) and ask those dealers for one 'no negotiation' quote on the model and options I want and go from there. I am soooooo excited... Thanks again everyone for all the help.
    Well after a week of waiting for a delivery date I got the call this morning. Unfortunately its a long wait. We are to pick up our 2002 ML320 on Mon 10/29/01 at the factory. Its better than waiting until the end of November which is when we were originally schedule to go.

We ordered:
    Brilliant Silver/Ash
    M1
    M2
    M5
    M7
    Bose
    Heated seats
    xenon
    $42,389 Total
  • poxpox Member Posts: 11
    Suvlvr

Do let us know when you have purchased your ML. I am especially curious to find out whether you were able to get a really good deal down in the Los Angeles area (as recommended in an earlier post). I know that it was impossible to get any kind of a deal a couple of years ago in the SF Bay area. But perhaps the slowing economy has changed things now.

Good luck.

Pox
  • lamkenlamken Member Posts: 19
    If one is planning to keep the truck I would definitely buy the extended warranty. I just recently have my front ball joints, shocks and transfer case all replaced under extended warranty. I have ~54k miles on the truck. It would have cost me a bundle.
    Ken
  • ml430s40ml430s40 Member Posts: 14
    I purchased the extended MB warranty during my purchase at the end of May. I bought it thinking I might keep the ML for more that 4 years and it is transferrable. I have had problems with my other cars/truck in the past and it has definitely paid for itself.

My only regret is I could have waited up to one year to purchase it. I found this out on the MBUSA site. It is much better for you to make interest on the money then them.

I paid 2550.00 for the premium warranty which extends it 4 additional years or 100K miles, which ever comes first. The transferrable clause also extends to the dealer/new owner during a trade in.

If I do sell/trade the ML prior to the end, I would pro-rate the original cost of the extended warranty into the sell/trade-in price. If I were looking for a used ML (older that 4 years), I would definitely like to have warranty coverage.
    This was posted in the MB C-class discussion topic:
    wmsbnz "Mercedes-Benz C-class - Year 2000 and earlier" Aug 27, 2001 9:54am

Drew
    Host
  • ml430s40ml430s40 Member Posts: 14
    Good post Drew! Many good post Drew!
    Confirms my recent understanding in that you have 12 months to purchase the warranty, you do not have to purchase the extended warranty from the original dealer, and that they do markup the price for their own profits. The contract does state you have 60 days to cancel for a full refund but mine is past. Hopefully others will read these post and make better decisions for themselves.
    Yeah, my understanding is that the MBUSA extended warranty can be purchased within the first year of ownership only. The MB Canada extended warranty, however, can be purchased as long as the vehicle is within the new car warranty period of 4 years...there is something else to that though. MB Canada does allow you to purchase the extended warranty after the new car warranty is over, but they will have to inspect your vehicle before they approve this. If the vehicle is still within the new car warranty period, then an inspection is not necessary.

I actually only found out of this right around the time my ML was a year old, or else I would've bought the extended warranty then :-)

Drew
    Host
    Is the extended warranty transferrable fully, in both the U.S. or Canada, or is it only transferrable to a private individual and not a reseller?

E.g. the Acura extended warranty is only transferrable to private individuals, meaning if you sell the vehicle to an individual you can transfer it. But if a dealer is in between, it isn't transferrable. Rather artificial constraint but maybe they don't trust used car dealers.
    Good question and I have no idea. I'll see if I can find out regarding the Canadian warranty, but perhaps someone else here could comment on the US warranty being transferable or not?
  • scott902scott902 Member Posts: 46
    Drew, I agree, since I installed the hood deflector, no more chips. However, if you get passed on the opposite side by a truck and it drops stones, or pebbles, you will get it that way or if from the side, and when your slowing down , any time the front wind is not with you but , I guess against you.

Nothing is fool proof. But this device is certaintly a help in prevention.
    So - just a couple of follow ups for you guys:

1. Warranty

Should I expect to pay around $2500 for the warranty, or can I haggle there? Also - if I have one year to buy - is the warranty always effective from the date of my vehicle purchase, or does it become effective the day I buy it (which, would get me a free year if I waited until the end of that one year grace period). My guess - effective date of vehicle purchase, which according to what I see would make my overall vehicle warranty 8yrs/100k miles.

If it's transferrable with the vehicle - would be a nice touch for the resale value down the line.

2. Navi system.

Pushing my budget here, and thought about going for a ML320 w/M1,M2,M5,M7 and Bose. The wife figured since I'll qualify for a father's day gift next year, we could buy the Navi system then. Is it possible as a dealer installed option after the vehicle's been delivered? Does it conflict with the Bose in any way? Will the cost be prohibitive adding it after purchase as opposed to order time?

3. ML320 vs. ML500

Can't seem to judge from the posts - and I've been having a hard time arranging for a side-by-side test drive of the 6 and 8 (and admittedly, I'm an absent minded sort). Does anyone here with the 6 really regret not getting the 8? I know if I try both, I'll really, REALLY want the 8, but the 6 is more practical and should suit my mostly city driving fine.

Also - outside of the added features (heated seats, navi, V8 engine) - any other advantages of ML500 - like different suspension or tires?

Thanks for all the help - you guys ROCK.

-John
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Just looked at the '02 ML500 with the sport package. This particular unit was sold but I wanted to check to see how the rear air worked.. I was pleasantly pleased on the force of air coming out of the vents. Rear vents are real improvement over the previous models. My salesman said it would take 3 months to get a special order unit. I got the sport package on my E430, I don't think I want it on the ML..... I like the standard fog lights better. Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • wedgebunnywedgebunny Member Posts: 14
    I have a 2001 ML320 loaded except for NAV and 3rd row, it is a lease. I am very happy with it as is my Wife. She is a very petite lady and finds the ML easy to handle.

I have no regrets by getting the 6 and not the 8. I have other cars that are plenty fast, this is a light truck, the V6 is adequate for me, I'm not dragging anyone. I'm still impressed with how the V6 and 5 speed auto work well enough to scoot the 4600lbs 320 along, even at highway speeds, up very steep inclines and with a full load.

I looked at an MDX as well, but, the Acura dealers around me are a bit too slick for my taste. A real turn off. The level of safety of the ML is better as well as the feel, drive them both over nasty roads and you'll see that the ML feels a bit stronger.

As far as reliability, I think the real issues have been fit and finish in the interiors. Mine has had its share of issues, but so has my 1999 C class as well as a 97 Lexus I had.

I only had one serious issue, it was in the first 72hrs, a failed transmission. Everything happened in the beginning and MB, not just the dealer but MB Corporate as well, was so fast and concerned with making me happy that it didn't really bother me. Lexus never reacted so well and I have no experience with Acura.

When my 2001 ML Lease runs out I'll be looking to get another ML.

Good luck with your search.
    Wish the search engine on this forum worked better - I'm sure someone's already asked...

Anyone know of a good NYC area dealer? Tri-state really, since I don't mind driving up to 10 hours away from NY. Seems like we're at the epicenter of dirtbag car salesman nirvana.
    You're looking in the wrong place, that's why :-). Allow me me to redirect you. There is a "Dealership service and experiences" discussion topic in the MB M-class owner's club area. You may want to check it out. There are also similar topics in the C-class and E-class owner's club areas. You may want to check those out as well. You can access them via this link to the main Mercedes-Benz Owner's club area.

Here's your chance to talk to other MB owners live. Join our weekly MB Tuesday chat tomorrow evening at 6-7pm Pacific. Stay tuned to this topic around that time for the link to the chat. There are at least a couple of regular chat participants living in your area.

No regrets from me for getting the V6 powered ML320 either. It has power to spare up the hills I drive and the speeds I drive at, and yet returns an acceptable fuel economy figure. If more power is needed for towing heavy loads up steep grades, low range can be utilised up to a maximum of 80 km/hr or 50 mph.
    between the ML320, ML430, and ML500.

The V8 powered utes have slightly wider tires, but no differences in the suspension whatsoever. Wider tires aid handling a bit, but cause more rolling resistance, i.e. more drag.

Drew
    Host
  • robz3robz3 Member Posts: 28
    How would you owners describe the seating comfort?

Seats: Soft/firm? Legroom/headroom? Front seats/back seats?

Also, does it come with steering wheel controls for the stereo? And what about cupholders?

Thanks
    Here's a link the MB's short page on the U.S. extended warranty:

http://209.167.164.66/brand/container.jsp?/owners/warranty/extended/index.jsp

Basically you can "add" up to four years to your original four year/50k mile warranty, or up to 100,000 "total accrued miles," whichever comes first. So it tops out at 8 years/100k miles.

Yes, you can definitely negotiate on the warranty.

• maroon95maroon95 Member Posts: 26
    are they standard on the ML320???
  • lemongrasslemongrass Member Posts: 21
    Can you or anyone else in here tell me where I can purchase the bug deflector? TIA ...
    Check out Nordleth. It's called the "EGR Superguard" in the MB area. Price is about US$70.

My hood deflector is not the Superguard, but the MB Canada-only accessory hood deflector. However, the EGR Superguard is very similar, almost identical in fact.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    maroon95, the new brochure is showing that fog lights are standard on every 2002 ML.

(listed as standard), "Halogen front foglamps. Single red rear foglamp intergrated with left taillamp. Jewel-effect taillamp lenses".

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    For those of you who are concerned about the reliabliltiy of the ML, here is my 43,000 mile update on my 1999 ML320.

Problems till date:
    1. The alarm system was replaced under warranty in the first year.

2. The ac/heater blower make a small noice at times and that too was replaced under warranty.

3. About two months ago the alarm went off when the car was parked in the garage for no aparent reason. The first time, I just locked and unlocked it and the alarm went of again after a couple of minutes. This time I started the car and shut it down and it was okay after that.

4. This happened again couple of weeks ago. This time I turned off the towing sensor and it was okay after that. The towing sensor is on again and it seems okay.

5. When crawling at speeds below 5 miles an hour, there seems to be some hunting for gears between first and second. At regular driving speeds, it is just fine.

I have got about 20 Mpg overall.

I don't drive very aggressively and use this car mostly for long distance trips so the tires are still original Generals and it looks like they a little over 1/4 Inch of tread remaining. I think they have about 10,000 miles left on them

Will probably get the gear selector checked in the next service.

Overall, I am a satisfied owner. The benefits of owning this car far exceed the annoyances I have had.

I keep my cars till they die on me. Hopefully, I will be able to give you guys the 75K, 100K, 150K, 200K, 250K and 300K updates, unless of course I make enough money and trade it in for a G500. Now that's what I really really want

If anybody has a lot more miles on their car than I do, I am sure we would all appreciate your feed back.
  • rjlimrjlim Member Posts: 30
    I've installed MB basic roof rack carrier and it whistles like crazy, specially when it's 60mph. I've read about this awhile ago, but not sure if there was a solution. Will installing a sun roof deflector helps?

Thanks
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    Got mine at Performance products. It's the EGR brand for around $55 i think. I have not yet installed it. The instructions look easy enough, will update once i install it.
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    I don't think is anything wrong with the transmission, when one is cruising at about 5 miles the vehicle is on the verge of shifting into second gear, sligth decrese on throtle pressure or road resistance causes the computer to serch for the optimun gear.