Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• robz3robz3 Posts: 28
    How would you owners describe the seating comfort?

Seats: Soft/firm? Legroom/headroom? Front seats/back seats?

Also, does it come with steering wheel controls for the stereo? And what about cupholders?

Thanks
  • wmquanwmquan Posts: 1,817
    Here's a link the MB's short page on the U.S. extended warranty:

http://209.167.164.66/brand/container.jsp?/owners/warranty/extended/index.jsp

Basically you can "add" up to four years to your original four year/50k mile warranty, or up to 100,000 "total accrued miles," whichever comes first. So it tops out at 8 years/100k miles.

Yes, you can definitely negotiate on the warranty.

• maroon95maroon95 Posts: 26
    are they standard on the ML320???
  • Can you or anyone else in here tell me where I can purchase the bug deflector? TIA ...
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    Check out Nordleth. It's called the "EGR Superguard" in the MB area. Price is about US$70.

My hood deflector is not the Superguard, but the MB Canada-only accessory hood deflector. However, the EGR Superguard is very similar, almost identical in fact.
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    maroon95, the new brochure is showing that fog lights are standard on every 2002 ML.

(listed as standard), "Halogen front foglamps. Single red rear foglamp intergrated with left taillamp. Jewel-effect taillamp lenses".

Mark
  • mercaramercara Posts: 291
    For those of you who are concerned about the reliabliltiy of the ML, here is my 43,000 mile update on my 1999 ML320.

Problems till date:
    1. The alarm system was replaced under warranty in the first year.

2. The ac/heater blower make a small noice at times and that too was replaced under warranty.

3. About two months ago the alarm went off when the car was parked in the garage for no aparent reason. The first time, I just locked and unlocked it and the alarm went of again after a couple of minutes. This time I started the car and shut it down and it was okay after that.

4. This happened again couple of weeks ago. This time I turned off the towing sensor and it was okay after that. The towing sensor is on again and it seems okay.

5. When crawling at speeds below 5 miles an hour, there seems to be some hunting for gears between first and second. At regular driving speeds, it is just fine.

I have got about 20 Mpg overall.

I don't drive very aggressively and use this car mostly for long distance trips so the tires are still original Generals and it looks like they a little over 1/4 Inch of tread remaining. I think they have about 10,000 miles left on them

Will probably get the gear selector checked in the next service.

Overall, I am a satisfied owner. The benefits of owning this car far exceed the annoyances I have had.

I keep my cars till they die on me. Hopefully, I will be able to give you guys the 75K, 100K, 150K, 200K, 250K and 300K updates, unless of course I make enough money and trade it in for a G500. Now that's what I really really want

If anybody has a lot more miles on their car than I do, I am sure we would all appreciate your feed back.
  • rjlimrjlim Posts: 30
    I've installed MB basic roof rack carrier and it whistles like crazy, specially when it's 60mph. I've read about this awhile ago, but not sure if there was a solution. Will installing a sun roof deflector helps?

Thanks
  • gpvsgpvs Posts: 214
    Got mine at Performance products. It's the EGR brand for around $55 i think. I have not yet installed it. The instructions look easy enough, will update once i install it.
  • thor8thor8 Posts: 303
    I don't think is anything wrong with the transmission, when one is cruising at about 5 miles the vehicle is on the verge of shifting into second gear, sligth decrese on throtle pressure or road resistance causes the computer to serch for the optimun gear.
  • biker5biker5 Posts: 199
    GVPS/glenn is right performance products carry them for $55.00 and they are giving 15% OFF starting tomorrow for the labor day sale...
    Here is the phone # 1-800-243-1220, Nordleth is bit expensive for the same product.
  • bob259bob259 Posts: 280
    Just got back from a business trip to California. While enroute I stopped over in Phoenix and visited Schumacher's and was quite impressed with their dealership. They had quite a few of the new 2002 C's on the lot, not to mention a 01' ML55 out front. I fell in love with a Silver SL on the floor though...

My brother just ordered his wife' a new C320 and it should be here in October. I was equally impressed with the new C series and it is definitely on the list as a replacement for the Volvo, the only problem is no AWD option.
  • I purchased extended warranty at time of sale. We expect to keep the truck past 100,000mi and we put on about 25,000mi per year. It is a very cheap peace of mind in my estimation.

Obviously, I paid full price. However, after getting all the great help from the Edmunds Forum and the M-Class Mailing list, I sold remaining warranty back to MB and shopped around for a cheaper one. You can sell your warranty past 60 days, you just lose the prorated portion. In my case, after about 8 months it was only about $80 and I was able to save a heck of a lot more on the new one, which started from the vehicle purchase date. BTW, You are purchasing warranty from MBUSA, not from a dealer, so don't let your salesguy/gal snooker you!

Just a reminder that the MB chat is on tonight (6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/mercedeschat.html

• tlwwsotlwwso Posts: 12
    I just achieved 3,000 on my 2001 ML320 and contacted my service representative to ask his advise on oil change frequency. He recommended every 5,000 since a synthetic is being used. Any recommendations or comments?

tlwwso
  • Does anyone know whether the new style mirrors (with indicators) on the forthcoming revised model range can be retro fitted to the current range, and if so, where they can be purchased? I'm told that accessories will be available from USA sooner as we won't be getting the new model until the end of this year.

Also, will the ML55 be changing externally as well or will it be keeping the same bumpers etc?

Thanks
    Marcus
  • It looks like (according to review on www.4car.co.uk) that the front suspension on 2002 ML's will be torsion bar (and coil springs in the rear). As I recall, the prior models had coil springs all around. Is that correct?

The current (FJ100) Toyota Landcruiser also has front torsion bars and rear coils. I seem to recall that the older FJ80 Landcruiser had coil springs all around. Is that also correct?

What do you think of this change, if I'm right? Don't you think it would make the ride a bit worse? I just compared a 2001 Landcruiser and a 2001 Sequoia in a test drive on paved roads, and the Sequoia was better. The Sequoia has coils on all 4 wheels, and I suspect that's the reason.

David
  • Sure the car drives fine but I've had the '00 ML320 in three times and the trip computer still doesn't work right: the date resets itself every few days the overall mpg is often in the 55-70mpg range (if only!!!!)The thing used to switch language settings often but that hasn't occurred lately. It does seem like a minor item but when the service dept says it is fixed and it's not the crdibiltiy rating goes down. Any suggestions? Is it worth contacting MB directly?
  • tariktarik Posts: 344
    Since the source of this picture is "Auto Bild", the German automotive equivalent of the National Enquirer, I wouldn't bet my house on it.

Tarik
  • mlx52mlx52 Posts: 72
    Have a look at this link for info on the Mercedes DVD navigation system.

http://www.harman.com/fp/index.jsp?articleId=100

Jamie

• tlwwso, I too have a 2001 ML320 and the dealer told me not to come in until the computer says so. The computer did not tell me to come in until 13,000 miles. Keep in mind that MB covers all regular maintenance (4 year or 50k), declared by their CPU brain in your ML, not when you want to come in and change the oil. Some dealers may differ though, if your dealer is willing to flip the bill for the first 50K or 4 years with an oil change every 5K then go for it.

During the first 10K I questioned my dealer and MB often and both confirmed wait until the CPU says so. So I figure if I follow what they and the manual says they are on call if anything goes wrong, even after the warranty. Added, I went nearly 15K once on my 99 C Class Kompressor and am at 50K now with no engine issues. I do a lot of highway driving.

Hope this helps.
  • kevin90kevin90 Posts: 7
    Gardner7, Looking back in this ML discussion area you will find that the trip computer is an obvious problem with a lot of ML owners. Myself included. I have 4000 KM's on the vehicle and have tried re-setting the trip computer date at least 10 times over the last 2 months. Nothing works so I am taking it into the dealership. Other problems that need fixing so far are a malfunctioning driver window switch and poor FM radio reception. I am getting stereo ONLY when the vehicle comes to a stop at a light. As soon as the vehicle starts moving, the FM stereo reverts to an AM sounding system.
  • drivenowdrivenow Posts: 45
    Does anyone know if the "computer" will accept orders for Capri Blue? The 2002 ML Brochure says "delayed availability."
  • rockypaulrockypaul Posts: 104
    FYI:
    The trip computer was replaced on my '99 ml 320 by the dealer some time ago. it did not appear defective to me but he said during a visit for an oil change that MB had a service buletin on it.
  • sshowittsshowitt Posts: 137
    The best price I have found for the M/B Premium 4 yrs./50K mile warranty is through Courtesy Motors in Chico, CA. Call 1-800-655-3535 and ask for Lisa Lehrbaum. She is very knowledgable as well as very helpful and pleasent. You can charge it over the phone and get mileage on you credit card as well. Courtesy Motors is an authorized MB dealer. I highly recommend them.
  • sshowitt, (Message #4468) how much did you pay for the extended warranty from where you purchased? Did they give discount? Please post details.
  • ron320ron320 Posts: 9
    I had the dealer install the NAV system in my 00 320. Is it possible to transfer the NAV to an 02 320?

Thanks,
    Ron
  • Jon90Jon90 Posts: 33
    why doesn't edmunds have the info for 2002 yet? The dealer in town here has had 2002's for 2 weeeks now.....gonna test drive this weekend!
  • Finally got to take an 02 ML320 for the morning today. I took numerous pictures that I will post on the web later tonight after I get home.

Some opinions I have and as they were a few days ago when I posted a are:

1. New looks on the exterior to me are a vast improvement over the previous models looks. It is much more aggressive looking.

2. The a/c controls are very nice and cool looking. Cooling an ML is now easier for the rear passengers as well the front passengers. Some folks were concerned about the new knobs not being large enough to grab with gloves on but this is not the case. There is plenty to grab on to and turn the dial.

3. New speakers upfront do add a much better sound to the Bose system.

4. New black background on MCS screen seems easier to read and maybe a little more elegant looking?

5. Larger drink holder in the center console will definitely get used by us. I'm glad MB made this right.

6. First aid kit is now in the rear door compartment. When you open the door you can reach up and flip down the cover to see it.

I'll have the pictures up tonight with a link to them posted here for all to enjoy.

Jack

PS A few quirks I noticed is the fog lights do not come on if the main headlights are turned off and then back on. You have to push the button again to turn them on. Also, the recycle button on the new a/c controls resets after the ignition has been turned off. This is a feature I've noticed a lot of manufacturers doing lately. Here in the South where we use the recycle all the time its a little annoying to turn it on each time. But I can live with it.

The new ML is really great looking and I can't wait to get ours.
    Looking forward to the pictures! Regarding the foglamps, they've always been like that. You have to turn the headlamps on and then press the switch. Personally, I think that the new projector-style headlamps are what make it look a lot more aggressive.

Be sure to link the pictures in the M-class owner's club photo gallery as well.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards