Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• svinaiksvinaik Member Posts: 84
    I have tossed around this a bit and feel that good old Golf wisdom should work here too.

As they say, rough to the left and rough to the right. Stay on the fairway.

My personal decision has been that old 3-5000 miles is just that old thinking but new 10000+ miles also is too new, (particularly since Mercedes / BMW started covering the maintenance!!!.) Truth may be somewhere in between. Some time back I read in one of the mainline car magazine about above average engine failures noticed in Europe( Article did not specify the Car brand name).It posed a question if the extended service period is a contributor to this. I also believe that the engine will go on for a period of 4 years even if we don't do any oil change but it is for the period after that that I am concerned with. If I intend to keep my vehicle, I will do things differently vs. if I were planning to trade it in.

For my vehicles (Since I am keeping the E Wagon & hopefully the M as well) I have adopted the following.
    1) During the period that Mercedes pays for the oil changes (4Years). I will have an oil change at 5000 miles interval on my own and have the second one on the Mercedes at next 5000.
    2) after the 4 years . strictly go to 7500 miles for the change. Skip service A but just have the oil change at 7500 miles but get full service B done at 15000 miles.

As many people, so many opinions but good luck to all of us who follow different routes to vehicle maintenance.
  • hogster21hogster21 Member Posts: 38
    Johnnnyc - First, let me say I hope you and yours are doing Okay...

How does it go? "No, I'm not an enginner, but I slept at ... last night?" I am a chemist by education.

Your points are well taken, especially the bean-counter comments. However, there is that darn MB trademark, whatever it is you want to call it - longevity and being trouble free. What you are discribing is modus operandi for US-based manufacturers - no offense, but being there, done that, got a new engine at 20,000mi to prove it (FORD). I do not think, or hope! that MB marketing would stoop that low and gravely damage the franchise.

BTW, my FSS oil change recommendations were at 10,000 +/-5,000mi. Not the range you would associate with simple bean-counter derived algorithm. Just personal observations, make your own conclusions. I agree with svinaik - middle of the road may be the best for people who are on the fence - you get the best of technology and a peace of mind.

And regarding break pads - soft and wear rather fast. I changed my front ones at about 32,000mi and my rear ones are still going strong at 46,000+mi. This is with a lot of spirited driving. Your individual mileage will vary greatly, however. There have been posts of people changing their pads as soon as 16,000mi - go figure!
  • kokketielkokketiel Member Posts: 7
    I have received my 2001 free update from Navtech. Interestingly, it updated the software on the MCS, including having a picture of a new '02 ML as the "splash screen" when you switch on the unit. They also changed the woman's voice doing the instructions. We sort of got used to the old one, which sounder friendlier :-)

I have seen a Capri Blue ML, and it seems slightly darker than our Azure Blue ML. Initially I thought it was the same color, but I think if you park the two next to one another you will see the difference.
  • johnnnycjohnnnyc Member Posts: 166
    We're fine here, thanks. I was right under the tower when the first plane hit, and frankly, I see things a lot more clearly now. The little things in life are not worth sweating.

As far as the longevity of MB - remember, these ML's are still not recommended by CR because of reliability concerns. Not that I mean to imply they're unreliable, but notice any corrolations to US automakers?

The reason I asked the brake pad question - because there's no way to fix the interval around brake pad changes. This is why they're not offered as well - because people could easily end up costing them a lot more money in included maintenance. Oil changes should be that way too, but they're not.

Personally, I hope the FSS is right. I don't intend on keeping this vehicle for more than 4-5 years (because I'd hopefully like to upgrade to the new model coming out in 2004-2006). I hate the idea of mistreating the vehicle, because I don't want to disrespect the next owner, or the vehicle. I'll baby it up until the day it gets traded in, and hope that the next guy appreciates what he finds. I'm a car lover.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    FYI, CR's recommendations were based mostly on '98-'99 MLs. Keep in mind also that most of the problems had to do with interior trim/component issues, not with the engine or drivetrains.
    there will be no MB chat tonight. Hopefully we will be in more of a mood to chat next week anyway.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • lemongrasslemongrass Member Posts: 21
    Thoughts and prayers go out the victims and their families.
  • imissmyslkimissmyslk Member Posts: 10
    Here's a photo I found on the LA Times web site from the scene of the attack in NYC

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-091101wtc-pg.photogallery?index=38

• imissmyslkimissmyslk Member Posts: 10
    Here's a photo I found on the LA Times web site from the scene of the attack in NYC. They moved the photo from my earlier post (although I guess that is appropriate too!)

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-091101wtc-pg.photogallery?index=39
  • jpwolljpwoll Member Posts: 1
    Two years ago in this forum, someone posted instructions and pictures on how he had wired his Nokia into the audio system on his M Class. This enabled him to use the vehicle's speakers and microphone, as well as to auto-mute the radio when he was making a call. Does anyone have the information on this?

Now that I'm making more cell-phone calls, I'd like to integrate my Star Tac into the vehicle, and according to 1-800-Mercedes, neither Sprint or AT&T will support the available MB-supplied unit for that car.
  • dave01dave01 Member Posts: 12
    How do you get a factory (or good independent) service manual for MLs? (Good==more detailed than Haynes or Chiltons.) From the dealer, or via an independent publisher? Cost?

Also, can someone confirm that brake pads are NOT included in the 4yr/50k service plan?

Thanks!
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    dave:
    brakes and other wear items like wipers and rotors are *not* covered, unlike the BMW and Audi free maintenance
  • ometofuometofu Member Posts: 53
    The whole city now smells like burning rubber!! I'm driving my really dusted ML to the city "body center" at 68th street. Don't care who the hell said business as usual... u never see so few vechicles in New York City....
    but the truth of the matter is that we are all going on with our lives very nicely, except those unfortunate that have lost loved ones, who are still grieving.

There is nothing - I repeat NOTHING - that any cowardly terrorists can do to stop our way of life. They can interrupt it, they can disrupt us for a day or two; but nobody is going to stop us from being Americans.

Although I'm shattered; the WTC held a lot of history for me (my first job, where I got engaged), and I'll miss it, I'm sure we'll regroup, rebuild, and be better than ever before.
  • ccweemsccweems Member Posts: 33
    WARNING: you can drive probably 5,000 more miles without a problem when the front pad sensors go on, but I would give the rears 2,000 at max. At 41,000 miles my rear pad wear sensor was blinking so I ordered some ROTEX Kevlar pads from Brake Warehouse (800) 814-0702 (no web site, but great folks to deal with) for $76.50 delivered. Had used ROTEX on the fronts and they don't squeak, stop the car upon request and produce only about 5% of the dust MB pads do. Changing the pads is about the easiest change I have ever done. It takes more time to jack up the car and take off the wheels than to change the pads, just have a 13mm (1/2" is close enough) wrench handy. Also the dust that does collect seems to wash off much easier. The rear sensor is literally a wire embedded in the pad with about 1/16" of material remaining when it lights and it is built into the pad, so no swapping it to the ROTEX pads. At this date they do not have sensors on rear pads. The rear pad sensors was one of the many MY2000 upgrades. Due to the longevity of the pads I don't see it as much of a problem. Remember to cut off the old connector and plug it into the socket to keep the dirt out.
  • ccweemsccweems Member Posts: 33
    Here is the message I got from the folks at http://hispeedometer.com

Re: Video conversion for Mercedes Benz ML series Trucks

I could not replace the cd rom with a DVD drive

because of too many technical problems, including the lack of a MPEG Decoder as required to watch DVD movies and to decode MP3's.

I would assume a price of $550 for a video converter installed or $900 for a TV Tuner, switcher and a wireless remote installed in the radio - you would have to give me about 4 days to have it done. the sound issue is still open and I would explore the option of direct audio switching - otherwise an RF modulator will have to be used.

Moni

• noelbongnoelbong Member Posts: 41
    "but the truth of the matter is that we are all going on with our lives very nicely, except those unfortunate that have lost loved ones, who are still grieving."

Johnnnyc, I find it hard to believe you are going on with your life very nicely after what happened in NY and DC. I mean the whole nation is in mourning and angst, and as an immigrant American citizen, I can't say my life is going on nicely, at least not like before the terrorist attacks. Maybe it is just me.
    if it came off that way.

What I meant to convey - people are recovering. New Yorkers are the toughest people on Earth.

With all due respect to those of Muslim heritage - the whole concept of a Jihad is a load of **** to me. When Iraq was under attack, the soldiers were running for cover, looking for CNN crews to surrender to.

Here in NYC - even only minutes after the bombing, people were helping each other. By nightfall, there were TOO MANY volunteers to assist in the rescue, or to donate blood. Imagine this - people were being turned away from helping, because there were just too many people trying to help.

What I meant to get across was the fact that we are moving on. Things might be a little different, but New York will come back, better and stronger than before. All schoolchildren were back in school, most businesses were open. Markets will resume on Monday, and everything else should be back to normal by the end of next week. Ultimately, it'll take some time to clean up and move on completely, but don't cry for New York, we'll be fine. If you want to point pity, aim it at Afghanistan - I'm sure they have no idea what they're in for.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please remember that Town Hall is not a political forum. I suggest that you take a look at Pat's post, donate some money or blood, and go hug your kids.

pat "Chrysler 300M" Sep 13, 2001 4:46am

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• rajesh_pappurajesh_pappu Member Posts: 13
    I was the culprit who started the discussion on engine oil last week. I would like to thank Tracy for the wonderful posting. Now I have some results to announce. Took my vehicle to the dealership yesterday. They performed oil consumption tests and drove the vehicle for 200 miles. Figured out that they need to rebuild part of the engine, specifically rings etc. The engine oil is getting into the combustion chamber and burning out very fast. (8.5 quarts in 2,500 miles). It is now proved, atleast in my case, beyond reasonable doubt that the oil changes every 10K miles have infact lead to accelerated wear and tear on the engine itself.

The dealership did finally admit that they saw such instances before as well. Lucky me, as the vehicle has 48K miles on it, I will not be paying a penny (as it should be!!!). Going forward, I am going to be playing safe and change oil every 5000 miles. $40 worth of engine oil is not worth damaging the engine. Once again, thanks to all the folks who contributed to the discussion, specially Tracy.
    Quick question for you - was this test part of the normal dealer checkup, or did they do this for you on your request? Did you have any problems that caused them to look at the engine in-depth?

I agree with Tracy that engine oil needs to be changed on a more regular basis than the FSS. I was just going to change the oil myself, but if at a reasonable price, they'll do that much diagnostic work as well, then why not pay for an extra oil change or two to extend the life of the car?
  • rajesh_pappurajesh_pappu Member Posts: 13
    This was not part of normal check up. I bought preowned at 43k miles. Since then the "low oil" indicator has come up every 2500 miles and visual examination of the engine oil revealed that it got really dirty by 2500 miles.
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    ...and frankly, I see things a lot more clearly now. The little things in life are not worth sweating...

I am shaken, and right with you on that, and therefore: to heaven with all the oily stuff! Everyone will continue to do their own thing anyway, which is fine.

Tarik
  • dave01dave01 Member Posts: 12
    Are there any in-dash CD players that are compatible with the ML controller/screen? Given that it hides behind the screen so appearance doesn't matter, it ought to be possible to get a good one for a lot less than the dealer price.

Failing that, are any aftermarket changers compatible with a non-Bose audio system?
    when it comes to a/v stuff in cars.. I did some researching on the MCS system, and how I could go aftermarket with one of the following:

Stereo system
    navigation system
    integrated cellphone

The stereo was the first thing I looked at - especially since here in NY, there were plenty of car audio places that had ML320's handy with their own home-grown stuff.

What I found was that it was tough to do anything and have it be integrated with the MCS, unless you went to some degree of hacking it up.

Although I couldn't confirm it - you are supposedly still able to use a multi-cd changer (Alpine makes them) in the ML320 with a stock (non-Bose) system.

The one thing that kills me is the cell phone - damn MB for wanting so much money for it. If it were only 200-300 bucks, I'd be all over it.
    anyone else here get a ML320 in white?

Initially, I went with white because it was easier to keep clean and unvandalized (NYC is like key-ing heaven; what a shame). Since mine is still on order, I wonder every day if I should go with a bolder, darker color.

This, of course, is because there aren't all that many white cars around here, and because every time I tell people what color I bought, they say 'white?!' with a disturbingly surprised look.

Any other whities out there? (and I mean that in a solely vehicular way).
    IMHO it's tough to establish causality the FSS and the oil consumption issue together since you bought the vehicle used with a significant amount of mileage on it. I suppose that is the issue with used vehicles, that you don't really know the vehicle's history for sure.

Good luck with your ML and please keep us updated.
    Thanks for all of the great info! I never expected the guy to be able to retrofit the system with a DVD drive, but the TV part was interesting nonetheless.

Drew
    Host
    I believe the ML's audio system is not Alpine, but Panasonic. The MCS is made by Alpine though (I know, it's confusing).

There are a couple of owners here in Town Hall with white MLs, perhaps they would be able to help you.

As for the phone, all luxury vehicle manufacturers who have some sort of an integrated phone kit charge about the same amount of money, despite the fact that some systems are a lot better than others.
    I meant the 'cd changer' was an Alpine unit. The head unit is a creation of Panasonic, with the MCS unit being produced by Alpine (did I get that right?).

How did Sony get left out of all this? ;)

As for the phone - I know it's a quality unit, and that's what the 'market' charges. I just wish it would be more reflective of real cost. In reality, the phone is no different than others costing 1/3 to 1/4 as much.
    I'm not sure if the ML's CD changer is an Alpine either (I think it may still be a Panasonic). You might have been reading about the C-class for that.

FWIW, the MB phone kit is more than just the phone. It includes the antenna and the connectors for hooking up to the MCS, mike, etc. It's probably that and the engineering that you're paying for, but you probably already guessed that. It is a very nicely integrated unit though.

Drew
    Host
  • michml320michml320 Member Posts: 42
    Can it be added after you have taken delivery or does it have to come from the factory with it already installed?
  • svinaiksvinaik Member Posts: 84
    Since the 2002 M 320 seems to have gained a bit more fat (Approx.100-150 Lbs), anyone with any comments on the pickup or drive feel. I am scheduled to pick up my M 320 next friday but still have time to change my mind to go for M 500.

I currently have E 320 Wagon.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Also, what is causing the weight increase. Is it additional insulations / heavier materials... ??

Thanks
    but I used the unit during my test drive (the CD changer) of the 2002. It was definitely 100% Alpine (I used my Alpine magazine, and with the exception of the white lettered 'Mercedes Benz' logo on the front panel, the rest of it was completely identical). Could it be some cross-branding between Panasonic and Alpine?

People thought I was funny - but I brought along my CDs, and gave the stereo a full test drive as well. At $1200, it's a good idea. I thought highly of the system that some people dislike (although I'm not a Bose fan - could it be some prejudice going on against them in this case?).

As for the cell phone - I'm sure there's an entire system. Two questions though - one, is it possible to get one used and have it installed, and two, has anyone successfully used a non-MB phone with the system?
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    I am on my second white ML, the first, a white with grey 98 ML320 and now a 00 White with grey ML430. My wife drives this vehicle. I think the black black grill and door handles against the white is a nice contrast. White is indeed easier to keep clean and is a neutral color and inconspicuious. Another reason that I stayed with the same color is that most people did not realize that we had purchased a new ML.
    Interesting. The CD changer was switched w/ the 2001 model; connections are all fiber optic now. Prior to that, it was Panasonic. Someone on the m-class mailing list installed a Becker fiber CD changer model in his MY2001. I'd presume you could do the same on the MY2002 if you really wanted. Compare the part#s for the CD changer for the MY2002 w/ the one for MY2001 and you'll know for sure. It's a bit of a pain because you have to much w/ some fiber connections in the console to get it to work.
    As for Sony...that's almost as bad as Bose. Both are bought primarily for name rather than performance ;-)
    about the Sony. I should *really* try to make the sarcasm stick out more in online posts.

But all things considered - I thought the Bose performed fairly well, for an OEM system. I figure it would cost at least $300 for the changer, and although I could do much better for $900 on the rest of the head unit + speakers, the system performs adequately for one worth $600 (so basically, I value it as $300 over what I could get it at - with an extended warranty of 8 years, I don't mind).
  • hogster21hogster21 Member Posts: 38
    Drew, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought all hookups - antenna, power, etc - are all there even if you did not originally order phone with the vehicle (phone being a DIO and not a factory installed option). The only issue is phone/MCS programming.

I remember people's accounts of successfully tapping phones into the internal harnesses, BUT they were not able to make phones communicate with MCS - actually communications were detrimental as MCS would send a shutdown command to the phone if it did not recignize it as an MB.
  • tracy_lebtracy_leb Member Posts: 39
    Rajesh,

Thank you for the feedback. Great to hear that MB is still standing behind their product. It is unfortunate that they need to, however. I am concerned that the FSS marks the downward turning point for MB quality. Why? Because, as you have experienced, you can take a truly great vehicle and destroy it due to lack of scheduled maintenance. Since half or more MB vehicles are leased, and everyone knows that most folks that lease are not exactly motivated to maintain their vehicles, this creates a huge opportunity to turn vehicles to trash in short order. MB has a vested interest in doing this as it is primarily they who profit from these problems. Were it not for sights such as edmunds.com and mercedesshop.com so many would go merrily along the way to high expenses courtesy of the lame-o FSS system with no means of discussing problems with other MB owners. Thank you Mercedes.

Security has been on almost all of our minds due to the horrific events this week. I would like to suggest that just as many of us go merrily along our way thinking that the security systems put in place on our behalf work without flaw of any notable concern, the maintenance monitoring system put in our MB vehicles is no less subject to less than desired behavior. I hope those of you quick to defend the faulty FSS system just because it has the MB name on it will put your ill-thought-out suppositions aside long enough to save some expense down the road. I only wish our FAA would have done much the same thing and not permitted our airport security to become so horribly lacking as to permit a reasonably expected event (hijacking) to take place. The FAA acted like idiots. They yielded to the pressure of customers that didn't want to be bothered and we are about to pay the price to the tune of Billions of dollars worth of reactive taxation, to mention nothing about many lost lives. Much the same is true of the FSS system. We as individuals didn't have much choice about what the FAA did. However we DO have a choice when it comes to caring for our vehicles, just as we do have a choice in caring for our families.

Regards

...Tracy
    No you're absolutely correct. I was refering to the fibre optic connections that have to be made for the phone to reside in the centre console :-)
    Uh, FSS (known as ASSYST) is also in Europe and Asia, where vehicles are not leased as frequently as people over here (especially in Asia).

Good luck,

Drew
    Host
  • sduff1sduff1 Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone here know of any back glass problems with the S class, 2000. We have a S500 and the back glass shattered. We've been told this is a manufacturers flaw. Does anyone here know anything about that?
  • chaddschadds Member Posts: 11
    MB designed significant changes within the new engines that enables them to have fewer oil changes. Other companies including Ford are doing this and the next MB innovation will be a zero oil change engine like our differentials and trans.( Though I've changed those for certain longevity benefits but not every 3-6000 miles.) I was all set to get a ML500 until I saw one. This is subjective but the chrome on the door handles and trunk lid and some interior trim for me exudes cheapness. I am now going to keep my beloved Black ML430 it's understated and performs wonderfully for me. If you feel disappointed in a car company well I understand. But a subtle lesson for us along with every sadness pain etc. and believe me I'm feeling these is that we're not supposed to depend on 1)our financial institutions, 2)our military, and 3)our leadership for more then they are capable of giving us. Our true security is to be found elsewhere. Thank you good driving, you do have good taste.
    John:
    Most people think it's "good enough". It's really a question of what each person's ears tells that person. The CD changer costs $600 even from clairparts, plus you get 2 extra speakers in the back on the MY2002 (on the previous models, you got the subwoofer and the Bose equalizer treatment only), so it's worth enough as a package. People have noted marked improvements with the base sound system by replacing the speakers in the front doors w/ better quality ones so you might want to start with that. Get your salesman to throw in a CD player in the front because people seem to hate changing CDs in the back.
    I took the route of getting the base system and saving the money for speakers swaps in case it annoyed me enough. To date, it hasn't. The radio doesn't seem to have enough bass or clarity, but if you play CDs, it seems fine.
    But audio is a personal decision...and mostly a male thing ;-)
    which is why, macho grande as I am, I went with the Bose system :)

I figured why go the whole 40 yards when another 1.2 would finish up the audio system as well.

It's a preference thing I guess - like I said, I tested the vehicle inside and out - another reason I skipped the MDX; I never met bigger jerks than the three Acura dealers I test drove with - who actually buys vehicles from these people?! One wouldn't let me put my own CD in the changer, with the lame excuse 'this one has a habit of eating them'. The other two I test drove didn't have the infamous touring package, and the stereo system there was almost as bad as the one in my garage (which cost all of $49 and has dual cassette and CD).
    Has anyone ever bought one of these used, or had a dealer get him one pretty cheap?

I would really like to get one, but the $1200 price made it really not worthwhile.
    I know that some manufacturers ship the engine with special oil, containing certain metals, in order to help the break-in period. This extends the oil-change interval from the usual mileage to either 5,7.5, or 10k miles.

Does anyone know if the ML's ship with a special oil, or if it's just good ole' Mobil 1.

Also - someone on one of the MB forums posted the following break in routine - tell me what you guys think of it:

Here it is in four pieces:

- - - 1. DO NOT take delivery unless you can take it directly to a highway on-ramp and drive 50 miles and the back without any traffic or lights. Park it at home until you can do the first trip if you must.

- - - 2. Travel 50 miles at a CONSTANT RPM of about 2,300, varying a little every 5-10 miles or so, but NEVER over 2,500 rpm or under 2,000. If you must then use a lower gear if you can not maintain a ''legal'' speed. When you reach 50 miles, stop the car, turn off the engine and let it cool a little (10-20 minutes, or take a short lunch). Take a return trip in just the same way, holding the speed for intervals at, say, 2,400 then at 2,100 rpm for 10-15 minutes. Still, always with 2,000 to 2,500 rpm. After the first 100 miles do not engage too many red lights or traffic and stay on the highways for 400 more miles always between 2 & 2.5k rpm.

- - - 3. CHANGE THE OIL AFTER 300 MILES. Some will say that this is no longer necessary, but I find it a small expense to ensure no metal shavings exist from initial engine wear. Some dealers (like mine) will do even this for FREE after 1,000 miles. Do it at 300-350, even if you do it yourself (like me). AND USE SYNTHETHIC ! (From now on you can use FSS.)

- - - 4. After 500 miles, maintain engime rpm between 1,800 and 3,000 rpm until 5,000 miles. Yes, you read it right - FIVE THOUSAND MILES ! No jack-rabbit starts and DO NOT let it idle (turn it on and MOVE). Lights and traffic are allowed, but if you can not avoid coming to a full stop then put the gear in neutral (thought not recommended) and hold the rev at about 1,300.

That's basically it. Follow thru and you could gain 5 to 20% improvments in mileage AND POWER over the long haul. (Obviously, if you just want to Hot Rod around, as with an AMG, and then sell it after two years, You Don't Care.) For the rest who appreciate fine engines and plan to hold it a while it is worth the effort. And I will now pit my ML55 in a distance run (I average 440 to 460 miles on a tank at varying speeds mostly under 75 mph) or (short) power test with a stock ML.
  • roger23roger23 Member Posts: 48
    I tried Rain X on my ML430's windshield a few months ago, and now whenever I try to clean my windshield, there is this hazy film always left on the glass. Does anyone know how to get rid of this haze or rain x residue?
  • sharonsharon Member Posts: 76
    I just wanted to report that I finally changed my tires. I _was_ annoyed that the Dunlops only lasted 23,000, but then my husband was sitting on the 40th floor of tower One of the World Trade Center on Tuesday, and he made it home ok--so now I don't give a crap about the tires! I'm just so happy to have him home.

I'm reporting that we ordered Michelin Cross Terrains and I've been very happy with them so far. They are much quieter than my Dunlops were at the end of their life--can't remember how noisy the Dunlops were new, to be fair. I'm still plagued by wind noise from the sunroof, but now, I just really don't care.

Sharon in NJ
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    Johnny, I think all those steps are nonsense, you only have to do a couple of sensible things, for the first 1000K avoid reving the engine to high or keep constant high speeds, in other words just take it easy, and second, I know is not called for, but at 2000K I always change the oil and filter to flush out the metal particles.

About Rainx, I have had the same problems in the past, not with the ML but with other vehicles, I could swear the Rainx permeates the glass, go to Pep Boys and they sell some good glass cleaners in a spray can, since I don't remember the name, read the label, you will know then which is the rigth one.