Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Jon90Jon90 Member Posts: 33
    I am planning on getting an ML500....have only test drove the 320 so far. What are the best deals out there for an 02? I can wait out the dealer as i am in no hurry. I have an expedition that is up from lease in January (glad to get rid of it)

thanks
  • gwpricegwprice Member Posts: 14
    I'm scheduled to pick up my ML 320 at the factory in Alabama on 11 Oct. My M-B salesman called today to tell me a factory rep told him they are not doing the full tour and off-road track demonstration currently due to security concerns. Has anyone else heard this?
  • sequoiasaurussequoiasaurus Member Posts: 240
    Greg: I'm due to do a factory pick up on Mon Oct 29th. I haven't heard a word of this yet and to be honest with you I hope that I don't. Please tell me this is only temporary if at all true.

By the way when did you finalize your transaction with the dealer? Mine keeps telling me that full payment is due "a few weeks before pickup at the factory".

Thanks
    Jack
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Phew, thanks for the update. I would've been annoyed if we didn't get the Rest feature! BTW, I wonder if it is still true if Linguatronic is a Canadian and European-only option?
    You were asking about white MLs. Well, I have a few pictures of the Polar white ones in Photopoint. Just hope that you don't mind that they are, uh, a bit crunched.

60 km/hr head-on collision

2 time rollover (this is a '99 ML320 which has had its bumpers painted white)

More accident pictures here, if you're interested (Gallery just very recently updated with many new salvage yard pictures):
    http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=137587&a=10126395&f=0&sp=1
    I doubt that shifting this auto tranny manually will cause any long term problems. I've been doing it occasionally for the last two years with no issues on my own ML.

According to what I've read in the press release, the transmission has that new optimal shift mode that I mentioned. Check the owner's manual for confirmation.
    No need to thank me, I just pointed you to the right places for information :-)

Glad to see that you're enjoying your vehicle and I hope to see you continue to post in this topic in the future! Feel free to join us in our weekly MB Tuesday chats at 6-7pm Pacific.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • johnnnycjohnnnyc Member Posts: 166
    were a major deciding factor in my decision to go ML320 over MDX.

That, and a friend of mine who had owned one (now drives an E class wagon), who was in a pretty bad accident that he walked away from. I told him I cared about safety, and his remark was simply 'anyone that cares about safety drives a MB or a Volvo, period'. From seeing these accident pictures, I'm inclined to believe he's correct.
  • hhm1644hhm1644 Member Posts: 13
    Hey guys. Picked up the ML320 yesterday. Turns out the guy who was bs-ing me about the amp being added was fired the day before. I did, however, speak to the district service rep. The problem with hesitation seems to be in the anti-knock sensor software. Sit down-Mercedes offered fix, "at this time", is to put 87 octane fuel in the truck. I'm NOT kidding. He says this is working well to correct the problem. I'm not too happy with that solution, as it does seem counterintuitive on a $45k vehicle that first recommended 91 premium.

I may pursue further action, but wanted you all to know what I was told yesterday.

ON another note, I've been waiting to see the Everest Green 2002 color, has anyone seen it, and is it finally a true black-green color without the yellow mixed in?

Later.
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    Where were those pics taken? Is this a new Mondeo in the background of the second rollover picture, or is it a Mirage (a Mitsu Mirage, that is)?

Believeing he needs glasses Tarik
  • gereldgereld Member Posts: 9
    I picked up my white/java, M1, M2, M5, Bose ML-320 at the factory on 9/21/2001. It was a great experience and well worth the trip. Currently they are not allowing tours of the factory because of security reasons. They do promise you that you will get a free tour whenever it's available again. They do take you on the off-road course though. It's great and you really get a sense of what your vehicle is capable of. I also received a copy of the kids video, which is actually pretty good.

Elizabeth is the MB person that handles factory deliveries and she is a real joy to work with. She did everything she could to make the factory delivery a positive experience.

By the time I had driven the 770 miles back home, I was in love with this truck and so happy that I waited for the MY02. I wouldn't even think about buying a
    MY01. I held off purchasing the NAV because I'm waiting for the DVD version. The Bose premium option is worth the money in my opinion.

I bought mine through a dealer in CA who saved me allot of money and doesn't play games. In fact he is one of the most honest auto dealers I have ever had the pleasure to work with.

Good luck with your purchase.
    Gregg
  • michml320michml320 Member Posts: 42
    This car has that? I was wondering why the volume on my radio would seem to adjust itself. It has never gone full volume on me. It does seem to get quiet and louder at will. Where is this in the manual? I thought I was fairly thorough reading it.
  • kito2kito2 Member Posts: 4
    I have enjoyed reading everyone's comments and recently acquired a '99 430. Input here helped with the decision and I am really enjoying the vehicle. It is interesting to see the accident pictures and see how well the vehicle fared - I hope I never find out first hand. A great indication of a vehicle, I think, is insurance rates. My other vehicle is a '97 GMC Suburban and insurance coverage is less for the '99 430!

Regarding tires - are the Continental and Dunlap new models for the M class (430 in particular). I am presuming Mercedes did not change the size and had not seen the 275/55-17 listed for these tires before. I had the Contacts on BMWs in the past and liked them. Now living in MN I need a tire that will handle snow well and would like to hear experience with various tires.

I've also been looking at the MDX to replace the Suburban and am also considering another ML. Several people have said they chose the ML over MDX and specific reasons would be helpful.
  • cdiccdic Member Posts: 36
    Drew - yeah, I am pleased with the auto volume feature. It appears to be functioning properly. These random occurances of going to full volume (plus 1 occurance of volume to zero) are not a function of that feature IMHO. They happen randomly while nothing else is going on.

Re: auto volume - I had the radio on when I activated the panic button shortly after taking ownership. My dealer told me to test the system after you let the paperwork clear. Well, the radio volume lowered and the lady from Mercedes spoke through the stereo system at a comfortable volume over the radio. Just like how the navigation lady talks over the radio. It works very well, but I do not think it is related to my problem. I personally think there is a problem with the gizmo attached to the volume knob. Perhaps it is settling in between bumps and a road bump makes it loose track of where it is.
    Breaks down as follows:

The MDX:
    More car like ride, better acceleration, more cargo space.

The ML:
    More luxurious, safer, better handling. A real 4WD truck, not a car based imposter.

You'll find a lot of bad press about early ML reliability - but from 00 on (and 01 seems to be the cutoff point for the problems), they stabilized. The MDX is a new vehicle, and despite relatively good quality for an initial run, they have their problems as well (thuds, weeping mirrors, pinging during acceleration, etc.).

I mentioned safer - the MDX recently tested with excellent crash scores, however, it lacks many of the safety features that make the M-class superior. First off - a look at Drew's accident pictures will tell you just how strong it is in the event of a rollover, and there's no data or pics yet for the MDX. Second - the lack of an electronic stability program - which consumer reports rates highly on their list for safety features of SUVs. Third - other smaller items, like rear side airbags and curtain airbags, active braking systems, tele-aid, etc. MB is ahead of the game when it comes to safety.

Luxury - let's face it - the MDX is a Honda Accord. I'm no fan of the Accord - some people are, and I won't bash it. But on the list of luxury cars, Accord isn't there. The interior luxury of the MDX is poor, with cheap feeling leather and fake wood everywhere.

Third row seating - more substantial in the ML, if you plan to go that route. You can move the second row seats up, so that everyone can shift around until everyone's comfortable. The only thing I disliked here was the way the third row stored - I'd much rather it's in the floor like the MDX and Explorer - but it's a small price to pay for what amount to real seats for passengers in the cargo area.

Gadgetry - something that scores points with me. I keep reading my brochure, and keep finding nifty little gadgets that I am sure I will love in the ML. The MDX does have some nice ergonomic features, but it ends there. I won't even list the gadgets - pick up a brochure and start reading. You'll go nuts if you like that kind of stuff.

Handling - the MDX does have a smoother ride, no doubt about it. But it's also louder, and lacks a real 4WD. ML gives you TouchShift - which I liked a LOT. Most luxury cars have this nowadays, and although I wasn't specifically shopping for it, it felt soooooo good changing gears to pass on the Belt Parkway with it. Steering was better in the ML, and I liked the braking as well.

Visibility - I liked the ML better, but not by that much. Could be a preference thing, but my brother-in-law said he hated visibility in the MDX. A height thing? Who knows.

Offroad - nobody knows squat about the longevity of the VTM system, and how well it'll perform under duress or offroad situations. Don't know if you plan to go offroad; if you do, forget the MDX. It's lack of a transfer case makes it an SUV in name alone.

Durability - someone offered this advice - crawl under both vehicles, and see how they're built. Good advice - I won't prejudice you on this. Look for yourself and you'll see ;)

Customer service - this might vary by region, but Acura in NY provides THE WORST customer service known to mankind. I have seen better treatment at Hyundai dealers. MB - I was treated with nothing but class. I bought from a dealer who does Valet Pickup, and will drop off a loaner. Acura - wouldn't even promise I'd get a loaner. Nice guys - I got exactly 10 minutes to test drive the car, then they were very rude - explaining how unless I wanted to buy a fully loaded (with dealer options, at ridiculous MSRP+ prices) car, the ones on the lot were only for leasing customers.

Value - an oft given argument for the MDX. If you discount the luxury, the MDX is a better value. I for one would wait for the Honda version if this is the case. The MDX charges you for a luxury car, and you certainly don't get one. Is the MB overpriced? I don't think so, although the Japanese counterparts can beat it by anywhere from 1-2k. In this case, I figure if you're spending $40k+ for a car, why not spend the extra 1-2k, and get exactly what you want?

If you're leasing, it's a no-brainer - MB throws in scheduled maintenance.

The ML is cheaper to insure, by about 10-15% (I priced in NY - I can't see it being any other way someplace elese).

I don't have my 02 yet, but I've been driving my cousin's 01. 02 MY had a LOT of improvement - I can tell simply from the test drive - but I cannot wait for this car. I'm sure I'll love it.

Test them for yourself though - and if you really want to make it worthwhile, get them both in on the same day. You'll see for yourself what vehicle suits you best.

If you're still not happy with the ML, I'd still go for the RX300, unless you *REALLY* need cargo space, in which case that won't do. The RX300 was a very solid car, although not as safe as the ML, and I would have gone that way if price and space were issues. The MDX is getting a lot of press, but it is the new kid on the block. When the Honda SUV hits the road, I'm sure you'll see some discount starting.

One thing - pass up on the 01 for the 02, unless you're really reaching the height of your budget. The 02's improvements were well worth it.
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    If safety is an issue and you regularly travel w/ a full load of passengers and cargo, I wouldn't get the RX300. You go over the payload relatively easily. There was a Dateline or 20/20 that went over this in detail.
  • hugenesshugeness Member Posts: 12
    You got to be kidding right? What other problems are going to crop up with that advice... louder engine, poor fuel economy, etc. etc.

I am going to test drive the '02 ML on Saturday and see if it has any of these problems.

thanks to all who have warned us.
    Glad to see that you safely made it back home. Thanks for the update and sorry you couldn't do the factory tour. I hope its back on when I get there in late October.

How was the delivery portion of your experience?
  • rockypaulrockypaul Member Posts: 104
    The pictures of the Conti and Dunlop ML tires look promising.

However at the dealer today I see the 320 now has 17 inch wheels.

Are these tires not available in 255/65/16??
  • kechalkechal Member Posts: 10
    FYI to anyone considering the ML500. I just ordered one with M3, M5, M6, M7, Bose system, and Xenon headlights for a just under $1,100 over invoice. I live in MA.

In response to some previous posts, I have only heard of the $1,500 dealer incentive being for '01 and not '02 models. If it is indeed for '02, please let me know. Also, I belive MB does not give any dealer holdback (someone previously mentioned 3%).

Charley
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    Nice touch by posting the picture of the front member, I think it makes the point.

I agree with all you say in your comparison, except the MDX is based on their minivan, still the ML is a much heftier vehicle under the skin, the deep reduction on the ML is a real plus to have, to haul heavy loads in steep inclines and to go offroad because it offers power at very low speed which translates control. I am a firm believer in that is better to have and not need than need and not have.
  • lsweet28lsweet28 Member Posts: 10
    Brandon-
    I am about to purchase an '02 ML320 with M1, M5, heated seats and Bose. I checked with dealers in The Pittsburgh, PA area and northern Ohio. Most dealers said at least $1000 off MSRP right from the start. The dealer I am going to use is now at $1,500 off and I'm guessing he will go to $1,700 below MSRP. E-mail me at Lsweet28@aol.com if you want more specifics.
    Kechal-
    There is a 3% dealer holdback of the full MSRP. I saw it on Edmunds. I spoke to a local dealer and mentioned it and he confirmed it but said it is money for the dealer because their margins were lowered. In other words, he said it was irrelevant to me.
    Mondeo? Where? I'd love a Mondeo in N.America! The new ones are especially nice, and available with AWD too. :-). That car was indeed, just a lowly Mirage unfortunately.

Drew
    Host
    I don't think any vehicles come without holdbacks - although the holdbacks vary in cases where dealers don't buy the cars, rather, they get allocations that sit on the lot. The faster the car sale, the higher the holdback.

MB gives it's dealers 3%. If it didn't, I don't think selling MB's would be very profitable. Think about it:

MSRP = $42000 (example)
    Invoice = $38850 (invoice is 7.5% less than MSRP)
    Holdback = $1165 (3% of invoice)

So any amount above invoice, plus the holdback, is what the dealership makes on the sale. Figure they have to pay all their expenses, and pay commission to the salesman. So if you bought your ML for $1500 off invoice:

MSRP = 42000
    Sale price = $40500
    Invoice = $38850
    Profit on sale = $1650 + $1165 = $2815

Figure out of that profit, they have to pay their expenses, and give commission (don't know MB, but I'll guess it's around $1k per vehicle) to the salesman.

This is with no rebates or incentives. Extra profit is made if the vehicle is financed through MB.

Without the holdback - I don't see how it would work.
  • kito2kito2 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for your thoughts on the MDX. You confirmed a number of the impressions I have. I have found a couple nice dealers, however, the majority don't seem to want the bother of dealing with customers. It will be interesting to see how they change when supply catches up with demand!
    Any input on the tires?
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    Your comments below were off base, as my post was a request for insight on what could have been a tragic problem. I have pictures and a video that have been turned over to MB. Pls read...

Thor8
    I was reading a post from several days ago, in it somebody said his ML had to be towed, while being winched into the truck the complete front end came apart taking the plastic front end and bumper with it, something to the effect that rust ate the weldings. I have seen the naked frame before, I said to myself impossible, I had to go to my ML and crawl under and look at the cross member where the towing eyelet is welded on, I said to myself, no way, I just don't believe that story.

Johnnyc
    If the front end had actually rusted to that point, then simply the force applied when taking off from a standstill, or a good bump while moving faster than 30 MPH, should have caused the front end to separate.
    Although it seems like a great amount of stress - the pull from the winch at that point is less than the amounts of force applied during those other situations, specifically at the area around the crossmember, which would have caused the car to split much earlier.
    Could just be a troll post... either that, or something else they're not mentioning.
    As an avid MB fan and owner... my wife and I have owned several over the years (now have the CLK and ML). When I posted my request for insight on the mfg defect we encountered with her front bumper, I can assure you both that I am quite serious. No need to waste either the time of regular readers on this forum or my own.

I would assure you of our complete surprise when the entire bumper assembly was pulled away from the frame due to thoroughly oxidized (rusted) welds at the contact points between the components. I have pictures of this (not yet in digital format) that have been reviewed by 2 MB Zone Mgrs. Also, I'd be happy to have you contact my Service Mgr here in Atlanta for confirmation. When I can get the photos digitized, I will be happy to post here.

Now, I must also say that my wife and I view this as a complete anomoly. We have absolutely enjoyed this vehicle and are excited about the prospect of MB offering assistance to get into a 2002. No bashing here, just facts. Feel free to send me a post and I'll put you in touch with the MB folks to confirm. Nobody was more surprised about this than we were!

So, no trolling here. Just hope MB will work with us to move us into a 2002 without taking a hit in trade-in value. Happy to offer any details.
    I thought the margin was 7% over invoice and not 7.5%?
    At least that's what their sales presentation said.
    it *is* 7%.

I got together a spreadsheet for my negotiations, and for some reason, 7.5% is down as the spread between MSRP and invoice. Since I've done a lot of reading since then, I can't remember where I got that figure. Either way - it's a minimal difference, but only serves to accentuate even further that the spread between MSRP and invoice isn't as large as some people would think.
    I'm not insinuating that you're making it up (I mentioned it *might* be a troll post, not that it was totally off base). What strikes me is that a set of welds that bad could hold for so long, only separating during a pull from a winch.

I would really like to see that, just out of idle curiousity.

As far as the rest of my post - were there any other factors that could lead to those welds decomposing? Live near water? Tow a boat? Any accident history?

It's most likely just sheer luck it fell apart when it did, when other forces should have clearly separated the bad welds earlier.
    FYI - the 430 is gone for MY '02.

The Contacts are new tires for this year, according to my dealer. I found this out when I asked him to confirm that I wouldn't receive Generals on my new car - a friend had told me to avoid them.

He said that the Generals were gone, and that it would be either Dunlops or Contacts.

I can't speak for the ML500 - but the ML320 gets an increased tire size this year, going from 16 to 17 inch rims. The tires are, as you mentioned, 255/75R17, pretty meaty.
    I'd like to find out what a fair price would be for it.

Post disaster, car dealers in NYC have been offering all kinds of crazy deals on cars. I put down my deposit two weeks before the hit, and although I don't intend on canceling, I would like to see a little good faith on the part of the dealer, seeing as there's so much more competition for the dollar here now.

I figured a nav system at invoice price is fair - nothing lost on the dealer's part (he keeps the sale, in spite of the poor economy around here lately) and I keep my original deal, with an added incentive of the nav I passed up when I bought the car.

Any ideas what invoice would be on this bad boy?
  • roger23roger23 Member Posts: 48
    Drew, this option is about $700 cdn., and it appears it's only available in Canada & Europe. Just like childproof doorlocks are standard in Europe, but have to ordered and installed in North America if required.
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    I am an avid reader of this forum, from time to time I make a comment and once in a while a post catches my attention, yours caugth my attention more that any other.

I am in agreement with Johnnyc, I would like to see the pictures, if there are not any other factors in here I find that hard to believe, your ML is the same year as mine, the frame in mine is absolutely free of rust, granted I do not live in the snow belt so mine has not been subjected to road salt but I have dipped mine in salt water at the boat landings. For the front cross member to come out due to rust erosion in its short life from a pull at that angle, maybe two or three thousand pounds means that the engineering, welding and inspections are of the lowest common denominator, below of that of a Yugo, that is why I find it hard to believe.

Incidentally I have a story to tell and show about salt and corrosion on a Mercedes vehicle, about a year or so ago I purchased a Mercedes Unimog in Pa, it is a 79 model, it was used to plow snow and spread salt for almost 15 years, when I bougth it, it was seating for two years with a two ton salt spreader loaded! the brine and white salt streaks caked all over the frame, upon inspection by scraping the salt from the frame we found no scaling, not even pits on the steel, I found the vehicle sound so I purchased it. The vehicle is currently on restoration but I have pictures before started, since I am documenting the whole process to share with other Mog enthusiasts when finished, regretably I have no time to search for them, since tomorrow morning I am leaving for Indianapolis for the US formula 1 and from there to Road Atlanta for the Petit Le Mans races next week, but a week from now I will post.

As you can see by being involved with mercedes frames, since I am cutting and adding accesories to my vehicle and removing some brackets that did not withstand the corrosion (different steel than the frame) I find your event extremely interesting.
    Gregg-
    Thanks for the scoop on the tour/ride. I hope you had a great ride back home.

Jack-
    I'll post an update on the factory experience when I get back. Hopefully, the tour will be back to normal before you (and I) get our MLs.

Greg
    I just caught the second part of your earlier message. I haven't finalized my deal with the dealer yet. I'm still shopping finance options. I haven't received any actual pressure yet.
  • jrfoxtxjrfoxtx Member Posts: 4
    " I figured a nav system at invoice price is
    fair [...] Any ideas what invoice would be on this bad boy? "

Careful, here. Supposedly the labor is 6 hours to install the nav system at the dealer (as it involves lifting the passenger seat). The $1690 option suddenly is a $2300+ option... Check your installation cost -- some dealers may comp the installation.
    on my ealier post. My thoughts were directed to Gerald and not Gregg. Gerald just returned from his factory delivery. So therefore I'll repeat my question again...When were you (Gerald) required to make payment in full?

Thanks anyway Gregg for responsding I know you may have been a bit confused by that. :) When is your factory delivery scheduled?

Jack
    Lifting the seat? I don't think so...Craig Weems will be able to verify this as I believe he installed the navigation system himself, but it shouldn't take more than hour. The CD drive goes into the MCS itself so I don't see why lifting a seat is necessary. All of the wiring from the antenna is pre-installed to the back of the MCS.
    Let's give "lovemyclk" the benefit of the doubt here. Any pictures of the issue in question would be welcome. It seems to be a fluke, afterall.

Drew
    Host
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    I found several small liquid (water?) marks on the roof lining. The color is kindda dark yellowish. Has anyone experienced this? ...sunroof leaking caused roof to rust??
    could it be.... the roof insulation material got melted and being absorbed by the roof lining??

Going to the dealer tomorrow to have it checked.
  • ml320ml320 Member Posts: 22
    kiiwii, I can't find spots on mine. Some pics: image

more roof pictures

Wolfgang
    Took it to the dealer this morning. The service advisor said it's glue, not rust. He will need to replace the lining and clean up the glue. The yellowish spots are found close to the front roof handles and rear hatch. It will take 1-2 days to do the job.

Also, we talked about the slow acceleration. The service advisor mentioned that the ML has NO rev limiter (...err??).
    Ah ha, it's the roof insulation glue that detaches after months of parking in the hot sun, and then starts to stick to the moonroof glass (if you use it frequently especially).

Ask your service advisor to rev his ML's engine to 7000 rpm and see if he bumps into anything around 6000 rpm ;-). From what I understand, there is actually a speed and a rev limiter; the former is to keep the vehicle within the speed rating of the tires. You'll find this for most vehicles nowadays.

Drew
    Host
  • itsuiitsui Member Posts: 15
    This is the third time I went to the dealer trying to activated the fog light indicator. No body knows how to activate the switch. I try to call the other dealer at San Diego. The service advisor not even know what I'm talking about. Is anyone can give me the information to show them or I should just give up? Thanks
  • khoonkhoon Member Posts: 85
    Folks,

I hace a '99 ML320 - made the mistake of accepting delivery with General tires. I'll never ever buy Generals again. Worse yet, I'm surprised MB even dared to use such sub-standard tires.

I'd really appreciate some suggestions on replacement tires.

Thanks in advance.
  • michml320michml320 Member Posts: 42
    I like the dunlops my '02 came with.
    What do you use your ML for? That would affect our suggestion for tires ;-)
  • gereldgereld Member Posts: 9
    sequoiasaurus,

I probably caused some of the confusion. My user name is Gereld but my nickname is Gregg. I signed my message with Gregg instead of Gereld.

I financed mine through MB Finance so all of the finance part was handled by the dealer I bought the truck through. They basically Fedex'ed me some papers, I signed them and Fedex'ed them back. All I had to do was show Elizabeth, the MB representative, copies of some of the papers. It really was very smooth and a pleasant experience.

Gereld
  • biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    Hi! itsui,
    Which dealer in San Diego did you go I have my fog lights activated at MB San Diego at Balboa Ave.
    If you have any question email and we'll talk.BTW, Are you from San Diego?