Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• mikestaleymikestaley Member Posts: 35
    Gray,

Does the plan you are on with Verizon = something like an TAT one call rate? (Any place 50 states no roaming or extra charges)

And everything works on the MB - taller ID, and Such.

Mike
    00 ML 320 15K
  • mikestaleymikestaley Member Posts: 35
    A great day in any Family's life!

Nothing like a proud Father, He No Smoking inside the Kid!
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    Ken:
    I wont be at home long enough to use it for auto X, my father would have a fit. He lives in Vegas while I live in Chicago. Maybe I'll move back home :) Oh yeah I bet that would rip the 330 to shredds! no to mention run circles around it.

Mike:
    Proudly no one in my family smokes.. The only smoke coming from that car will be the tires :).

Robert
  • mlx52mlx52 Member Posts: 72
    Has anyone used the paint care products that are available at the MB collection web-site? Do they work, and are they effective in retaining the finish and clearcoat of the paint?

Thanks,
    Jamie
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    Jamie:
    The MB products are repackaged Meguiar's products.
    Other stuff people love include: Blitz wax, One Grand wax, Zymol, and Zaino Polish
  • tracy_lebtracy_leb Member Posts: 39
    I finally got the Manik brushguard and the Hella 120 watt driving lights installed! Looks pretty cool! The light output is extraordinary! ! ! Will post pix in the near future. Am off to test the lights (and hopefully not the brushguard) on the 80 mile trip between my home and my favorite local ski resort, where they report 9" of new snow. WooHoo

Happy Holidays to all!

…tracy
  • ja52ja52 Member Posts: 2
  • ja52ja52 Member Posts: 2
    The site was interesting. I have been using the Zymol waxes for a while and their claim's about carnuba content and the way it works is very contrary to the Malm's claims. The better Zymol waxes are put on by hand and then buffed off within 1 to 5 minutes (a lot of touching and rubbing). One of them has to be wrong but I don't know which.
    A product mentioned on this site some time ago was Langka for paint touch ups and I was wondering if anyone had tried it?
    This is my third attempt to make this post, I'm not sure what is wrong but I hope it posts this time.
    Happy Holidays to all.
    AFter a couple days with the Timport, I cant say Im really impressed. I'm glad my father got it so I can play around with the thing before I bought it. I think that I would prefer the V series Phone, and get a regular install kit.

The only thing that I really liked about our Timeport is the voice recognition feature. (Which is BTW NOT available on the ML (before people ask). The Colors on the Phone are kewl too, but not for me to spend $500 on the phone only!

Robert
  • ometofuometofu Member Posts: 53
    no one actually fighting for th 500 post... I have not see this forum been that quiet... I guess everyone is having fun with their winter driving...

It is snowing now in New York... can't wait tonite in a open parking lot to do some serious dancing with my ML...

And finally I found a website that carry a good set of "Xenon Super White" H7 bulbs. www.autostockinc.com (since may oem maker including Philip and Hella stopped making the xenon h7 bulbs)

Have a great holiday people.....
  • mi3mi3 Member Posts: 2
    Great forum. I ready a while ago some one mentioned that they are getting childproof locks on their ML (I think the name is roger23).

I approached my dealer. My service managerd did not know anything about it. Could you provide me more information on the parts. Where did you get the parts? Parts Nos.? Did MB dealer install the system.

I appreciate any help.

Happy holidays,

MP
  • willy27willy27 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering purchasing a MB ML430 but have heard and read stories about quality problems, electrical problems and rough ride. Would appreciate any pro's/con's anyone might offer. Thanks.

Willy27
  • maabmaab Member Posts: 41
    I just got back from the dealer to pick up my truck, and went to Verizon to region code/activate my phone. They basically put the phone craddle in the arm-rest-box, so it is out of your way. You don't have to worry about someone knocking the phone with a knee or something.

Only thing is that StartTAC HAS to be plugged-in to the truck in order to use the MCS keypad. I was thinking of using the keypad w/o the phone connected (i.e. Situation like when your phone might be in the brief case or backpack in the back).

Installation cost came down to $318, which isn't bad when you consider that it was done "right" by the dealer.

Ken, you were right regarding fiber optics; Kit came with a bunch of cables (including fiber optics). I still have the MB StarTAC phone installation sheets if folks are interested.
    Drew,
    With your glovebox problem did you find that you were able to move the left arm back and forth (left and right) when the glovebox door is open. However, when your not able to move the right arm back and forth. Is this a fix to the problem?

Thanks,
    Jamie
    Maab,
    How much did the entire phone package cost; did you get the parts through your MB dealer or Clair? I'm kind of regretting that I didn't get the phone. Do you think that it is worth the amount of money or is it better spent elsewhere?

Thanks
    Jamie
  • maabmaab Member Posts: 41
    I got the phone (500) and kit (630) through Clair. My local dealer wanted $1800 (vs. 1130 through Clair). If you are looking for value, I can't tell you. I think it is worth it, after considering some people having accidents while using cell phones.

I am sure you can go a less expensive route, but I don't think it is going to look integrated. You know what I mean?
  • dt77dt77 Member Posts: 232
    I don't spend that much time in the ML so I never even considered getting the timeport thing. I have a the tiny nokia 8210 and I place it on a mount (see my site). I have a handsfree ear peice which connects to the phone and if it rings, I just press the receive button and boom - 'safe' handsfree communication. But I hardly use the ear piece and usally go with the one hand driving anyway since I often drive with one hand at slow speeds.

1130 or 1800 for the timeport ? no thanx.

dt77
    http://fullspeed.to/ml
  • dagilldagill Member Posts: 13
    Gosh away for a week and over 500???
    Anyway I do not know if this has been posted. Saw a ML430 here in UK 9here for a week) with the spare at the back. It looked really good and also safe for ML occupants. Had the brake lights (which usually is on the back door) on the spare. If no one had seen it will try to take photo, if it had been posted just ignore.
    That rear tire carrier is available to the folk just north of us. For some reason there is some US safety issue.

I was considering importing the rack, but its about $3-4K with the tire, carrier, and the suspension upgrade, plus (at least my dealer) wont even consider installing it. Another complaint that I would have is the blockage of the rear window. I have enought trouble with the middle headrest.

I do think that it would look good, also protect the rear of the ML

Robert
  • bob259bob259 Member Posts: 280
    Update on the locks. The dealer replaced the drivers door actuator and we just got some cold enough weather for me to see if the new actuator fixed the problem. Yesterday it was 10 degrees (f) and this AM it was 2 degrees (f) and everything worked fine. So it was the drivers door actuator that had a problems with temps below 10 degrees (f).

Robert, How are the HID's for the ML55 you installed working? Are they projector beams and/or do you have any pictures you can send me or have Drew post. My brother just had a set of projector beams installed in his MY00 996 Porsche and say's the difference was well worth it and it is a totally different light then the after market look alike bulbs produced. I didn't recall the ML55's being a projector bulb. It's interesting that in his Porsche they plug right in and self adjust for the high beam. His uses H7 bulbs for high beam. In fact the set up was a little less then the $1675 I believe you said it cost you to do the up grade.

Thanks in advance and to everyone have a Safe and Happy Holiday
  • carbon_00carbon_00 Member Posts: 17
    We're having a viciously cold winter up here in Canada. my question is has anyone installed a boleck / engine heater?

Also, why doesn't this new version of townhall automatically take me to the newest messages I havn't yet read. The old version took me to message 301 if I left off at message 300...( for example)

Thanks!
    Ya, I think someone posted a pic long time ago. I think it was in Europe - norway or something like that...
    My neighbour here in HKG has a ml320 with the same carrier, brake light on carrier and all. It even has the MB star on it. I can get a pic up in 24hours. I also noticed some additional 'wood' in the interior that the ML's we get in the US don't have ...hmm...also, most people here HKG have the third row option.

The 'stick on' magnification that drew has is a must ! 'Sticks' onto the inside of the back window. I have it too, and it's great! I think drew has a few pics on his website. I always worry that a kid a standing near the rear bumper, and with it, I don't worry anymore.

dt77
    I'm still having trouble posting. Sometimes I post, it brings to me a page and says : " dt77, you have logged in already ..."
    I'm like huh ?
    ANd I have to repost ....hmmm...ctrl-c (copy) is a must.

dt77
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    Someone commented on the middle headrest and visibilty problems, remove it and SEE the difference. My wife has hers removed, her second ml, and once she mentions this to other ml owners, it like dah, why didn't i think of that. You can either store it under the deat or in a closet at home.
  • glamourlifeglamourlife Member Posts: 49
    My husband and I are about to purchase a new SUV finally! His top choices in order are 2002 Escalade, 4.4 X5, LX470, and ML430/500? Mine are the exact inverse. He loves the upcoming Escalade, but I am still not completely sold. The purpose of my post is to see if any of you know details yet on the 2002 ML's. I have heard an upgrade to ML 500 and discontinuation of the 430, facelift with new bumpers, oval headlights, command, dual electronic climate, turn signals in the side mirrors like the rest of Mercedes, and 400CDI Diesel.

If even half of this is true, I think it would justify waiting. Please let me know. The recent snow really has us chomping at the bit.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    As you know the spare tire carrier is available in Canada. However, I'm not really a fan of it. It looks only okay, IMHO. FYI, it will not protect the back of the ML. If anything, it will cause more damage in a rear end collision with another truck/SUV/minivan since the spare tire carrier will be pushed into the tailgate, hence causing more damage - probably breaking the tailgate glass -than w/o the carrier. Unlike just about all other manufacturers though, MB position their spare tire carrier pretty high up above the rear bumper, so a rear end collision with a car probably will not be too bad.
    Yes, the left arm was loose and I could wiggle it side to side whereas I couldn't do so for the right arm. For mine, it appeared that there was a piece missing at the end of the left arm. The left arm was replaced ("part appears damage" was stated on the MB work order sheet) + the washers added and the rattling disappeared.

Hope this helps and please keep us updated!
    Glad to hear that you problem has been fixed. Hopefully, you won't have any more of these minor glitches in the future.

WRT the HID Xenons, they are not projector styled. Projector lamps take up a fair amount of room, and with the integrated ballasts/ignitors in the ML's headlamps, there's not enough room for that sort of design. Besides, projectors area also a lot more expensive than the reflector styled lights. The upgrade is less than US$1500, BTW.
    Your MB dealer should have more info about an engine block heater for your ML. They are supposed to be available.

WRT the Townhall software, if you "mark" or "subscribe" this topic, you can simply hit the "Message centre" button and you'll be able to see all of the new messages that have been posted.
    We're still dealing with the login issue. The timeout problem still exists, which is why it logs you out after 10-15 minutes of inactivity. Try opening up another browser window (and load TH in it; you have to login, of course) and you may not have to close your original browser window with your text in the post box.

I agree that the stick-on convex mirror is a major plus. With the high up window line of the ML, it certain helps me to judge where the other vehicles' bumpers are when backing out of a parking space. This mirror + the Parkpilot system will make backing up a heck of a lot easier.
    Good tip...removing the centre rear head restraint and storing it in the cargo area was the first thing I did after getting the ML.

Drew
    Edmunds.com Townhall co-host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories conferences
    Here is the link to my page
    http://www.exconde.com/hidmod.htm

I dont think that I should post the picture since it is a little larger than I should post and there is no hide feature.

It has some pictures on it, and a very close up picture of the light beam. The ML has a reflector type of beam. HOWEVER, there was a manufactur in the Germany that was selling ML headlamps with three projector beams on each side. (Birger?)

They work very well, and I am happy with the upgrade. They only thing that I wish I had was the washer jets for the lamps. IT would come in handy in this winter weather.

What do you mean it self adjusts for the High beam? It has an auto level? even for the halogens?

I prefer the Projector beams opposed to the other type (I think free floating, and the type with the corrigated-type lens)The projector lens ARE much more precise than that of the current ones that the MB uses. On our former CLhad projector beams, which were much better than any of the other MB it literally looks like this (yes the cutoff is THAT sharp) :
    _________
    ______/

I dont have pictures because I wasnt expecting to have th CL that short (6-7mo). I believe that the new SL uses Projectors too. The BMW uses projectors on all of their Xenon units, but dispite their use of xenons accross the line their patterns are different 7/5- series are very sharp, 3-series is a bit less of a precise and aimed beam. I havent had a chance to see the porsche Litronics but I would assume that they are very precise.

Drew: When I was looking at a 540i Sport, and the upgrade to Xenons, I think that the price was about $$1200 at Bekkers for projectors.

Come to think of it if I had that tire rack on my ML when I was in the second accident I would have to agree since the hitch would not been the primary absorber. It would have been the rack and the rack pushed into my door.

Robert
    The graphic of the xenon didnt come out right, lets try this

------------------
    /
    -------

What do you mean it self adjusts for the High beam? It has an auto level? even for the halogens?

...I was speaking of the poreche on this note...

Robert
    I actually don't like the really sharp cutoff because I'd like some light to be thrown up and above and to the sides. I've heard plenty of complaining from BMW owners about how they can barely see anything more than 50 feet in front when going uphill since the autoleveling system causes the system to redirect the beam downwards. I haven't experienced this problem in any of the MBzs with Xenons that I've driven; granted I haven't driven a CL at night.

BTW, I saw an ML430 at the mall with the Euro rear window deflector. Ugly! (IMHO, of course) Granted it's unique...the guy probably specially imported it here. I haven't heard about MB Canada offering it as an accessory.

Drew
  • pooliopoolio Member Posts: 18
    Drew
    Where did you purchase the wood trim kit,posted on 473 for your ML.
    ART
    I didn't purchase the wood trim and that's not my ML. If you're interested in the kit, one of the places that sells it is http://www.woodtrim.com. I believe they also have kits in aluminum trim and faux carbon fiber.

Happy holidays all!
    I'll try posting this again, (third try Drew!!). The projectors he installed in the Porsche have a motor that raises the projectors on high beam to work with the H7's and add more light down the road. Someting like I think Drew was looking for. It's not the auto leveling feature like we discussed in the ML55. I'd like to see about those 3 projector Euro ones you discussed. Also, has anyone heard anything about the Hella after market retro fits yet.
    The software timesout after 10 minutes of inactivity (it's a bug, BTW). So, if it's a short message and you can get it done within 10 minutes of getting into this topic, you won't have any problems posting. The easiest way to get around until it's fixed, is to type your message in a seperate program (Netscape Composer, Wordpad, MS Word) and then copy and paste the text directly into the post box. Yes, I know it's annoying...

WRT the German retrofitted Hella headlamps, Birger sent a picture to me a while ago, but it seems to have been burried deep somewhere on the hard drives of one of my machines. I'll have to dig around for it. However, this is what it basically looks like (the car in the picture below is an Audi A3). Note that two projectors are for the low beams, and another two for the high beams. Low or high beams can be Xenon or halogens (ex. low beam Xenons, high beam halogens, or both low/high beams Xenons):

Here's the setup on a VW Golf:

Here it is on a Ford Focus:

On your brother's Porsche, are the the high beams halogen? I assume that's what you were referring to when you said the H7s. I think what you are describing is that the low beam HID Xenon projectors will shift upwards (adjusted manually??) to supplement the halogen high beams. Is this correct?

Drew
  • macbestmacbest Member Posts: 55
    Just picked up my new 2001 ML320, Onion Blue, M1, M2, M7, heated seats, dose, etc. etc. Color is incredible! I am in the San Francisco Bay area and so, not surprisingly, paid full list. Got them to throw in the all weather mats if I returned the questionnaire, unfilled, back to the dealer when it came in.

Thought it might be interesting to tell you that this is my second ML 320. My first was a 1998 and I had a lot of minor problems with it. Finally, I got a print out of all of the times it had been in (mostly squeaks and rattles galore, and many problems with sunroof) and wrote a letter to Mercedes saying this is not right. Got a call from the bay area re: Rick Zollman, and he vowed to make it right. I was very pleased with not only the deal he gave me (a credit towards the purchase of a new one), but more importantly, that they wanted to make it "right".

The 2001 s. the 1998 is like a totally different vehicle. We are really excited.

As for the suggestion about the middle seat, rear headrest, dab! I didn't think of it either, but now, its gone. Thanks!.
    I looked around and finally found the picture that Birger sent to me. Here is the ad from German tuner ART for the Hella twin projector-style headlamps plus indicators in custom-made headlight bezels. As you can see, it gives the ML a completely different (meaner, Jurassic Park: Lost World ) look:

Congrats on your new ML! A nice Christmas present, no doubt. The Orion Blue is certainly a very unique colour and will make your ML stand out amongst the (many) others in your area. Hope that you can get some pictures online sometime - perhaps in a Photopoint.com album like mine).

Drew

P.S. Did you purposely write "dose", or was it a Freudian slip ;-)
    For those of you who are interested...you can have a look at my updated Photopoint album here.
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    Drew,

In short, congrats to the successful installation of your scratch avoiding supplement! Nice (actually extremely nice) job, excellent!

For those weird triple-beamers, go to http://www.art-tuning.com, and choose M-Klasse.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone...

Tarik
  • pooliopoolio Member Posts: 18
    I would like to know if you could get A remote control for starting up A 2000-ML320.
    I really like your parktronic thingy. Nicely done. I'm guessing you did it yourself ? was it hard ? how long it take ? what type feedback does the system provide you with ? sound or visual or both ? how much ? hehe..sorry so many questions...

dt77
    Thanks Drew. Yes the highbeams are Halogen. The projectors shift upward automaticly when you switch to hig beams via a electric motor.

I have the article he gave me on them. I'll try to scan it and send it to you. (New scanner for Xmas and it may take me awhile to figure out how to do it, but I'll attempt it).
    I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and Safe and Happy Holiday.

Enjoy!!
  • pepperheadpepperhead Member Posts: 4
    Drew,
    I think I read that you have the cargo liner with the neat mini compartments for storage. My wife ordered same for me for Christmas but it is back ordered. Cost about $120 plus shipping. My question is did you buy direct from Mercedes Benz? I just checked Clairparts and they don't seem to have a similar liner with the compartments.
    If I'm wrong and you don't have this item in your truck, maybe you can refer me. thanks in advance and happy holidays.

Pete
    Is this what you are looking for?

Robert
    Ask Clairparts for:
    Q-6-75-0016 (MY1999) $102
    Q-6-74-0004 (MY2000/01) $105
    This be the part number for the cargo tray divider.

There is a difference between the two trays, I tried the 99 version and it has two extra cutouts for the floor anchors. The 2000 has a better fit and two less floor anchors.

Robert