Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• johnnnycjohnnnyc Member Posts: 166
    (and maybe that was my first mistake) about getting 16" rims to put winter tires on.

His reply - the brakes on the 02 ML320 were changed, and the result was the old rims wouldn't work on them (his reasoning for them changing rim styles in the new ML320's as well).

Is there any credence to this? Because if not - those 16" rims are cheaply available, and I don't mind sticking to 16" from November to March.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    The salesman would be wrong, I think. They appear to be unchanged for '02, at least for the N.American market. The Euro '02 ML320's and ML270CDI's do have the larger ML500's brakes though, which will not work with 16" wheels due to clearance issues.

Staying up late to watch Formula One? :-) Damn, Ferarri won. BMW 2nd, Mclaren-Mercedes 3rd and 4th.
  • tlwwsotlwwso Member Posts: 12
    My 2001 ML320 sat in my garage for a week without being started. Last night I went to pull it out of the garage and noticed that the interior light did not come on when I opened the door, then noticed that the vehicle would not start. The horn would not even honk. I have to assume that the battery is dead, but would the battery be dead on a vehicle with only 4,700 miles? I will call for roadside assistance and will let everyone know if the battery is the cause.

The terribly shock and embarrassment, if this is the case (this shouldn't happen to a new vehicle, a Mercedes at that). Replies or comments would be greatly appreciated.
    TLWWSO
    of whether a battery dies within a week of no use.

Batteries go through well defined charge-discharge cycles. Depending on your driving patterns prior to the week it sat, the battery would be between 40 and 95% charged (a battery is *never* 100% charged once it's been used).

Within that cycle - dependent on a number of factors - discharge rate (any possible electrical drain on the battery while sitting), weather (cold weather will cause a battery to lose it's charge more rapidly, while also requiring more power to kick over the engine when restarted).

I'd just keep an eye on the battery - you never know, batteries are defective sometimes (one of the most flagrant violators is actually the battery, turning up to be the culprit in a lot of electrical inquiries in new cars). If you have a voltage meter, give it a reading for about a week, right before starting the car each time. If you get numbers that aren't within range, then you have a battery claim on your hands.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    I'm thinking it would be nice to have mud flaps put on my ML when it comes in. When I ordered the ML at the dealer, he went to check to see if they are black or if they come in matching body colors. The salesman was not able to get me the information right then.

Do any of you have mud flaps on your ML's? And if so, what color are they and are you happy with them?

M.
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • ddavis001ddavis001 Member Posts: 14
    I have had a few minor issues with my ML430 since we bought it over a year ago. Actually, in Feb 2002, it will be 2 years old.

1. I am currently having some blue liquid leak of the vehicle AFTER I drive it and park it. The location of the leak is just in front and to the right of the front-left tire. Looks like washer fluid overfill... so I just used it until 1/4 of the bottle was used. Hopefully, this will make it go away.

2. I just had a windshield replaced (thanks to good ole Georgia, USA construction vehicles such as dump trucks and crap on the highways). After having the car for a few days and finally being able to detail it (it's been raining for a few days) and look it over, it appears there is some brown glue or something on head-liner on the driver's side. Looks like an accidental swipe of some glue and you'd never notice unless you were looking to make sure all was well. Regardless, it wasn't there before. Is there something I can get this glue off with or do I need to take it to the dealership?

3. Another side-effect from the windshield replacement seems to be some small black hardened specks of something on the white paint -- one speck on the hood up near the windshield and a bunch of specks in the driver's side door-jam. All I know is that wax does not remove it and when I take my fingernail to it... it seems awefully hard. What is this stuff?? I'm thinking this is also something that has to do with the windshield replacement.

Any help would be greatly appreciated on these subjects.

Thanks.
  • lamkenlamken Member Posts: 19
    I do not doubt the benefits of the rear side airbag. They will only produce a problem if the airbag deploy with a child's head leaning on the door. I have demonstrated in my ML with my child properly restrained in a five point harness her head touches the door if she doses off. An airbag is extremely dangerous when it first deploy. I do not like the idea of an airbag deploying so close to the head and neck area. I do not doubt an airbag will provide more cushion but it is the deployment phase that is dangerous and the reason the NHTSA came out with the warning.
  • gwpricegwprice Member Posts: 14
    I got back last night from my trip to pick up my ML320 at the factory in Alabama, so I thought I would post a few things about the experience while they're still fresh on my cranium. First, here are the basics: brilliant silver/charcoal; M1, M5, M7, Bose; ordered 14 Jul 01/built 20 Sep 01/picked up 11 Oct 01; paid invoice +$1000.

- Factory Delivery: This is a great experience. They really treat you like a VIP and the off-road course is a blast. The factory still isn't doing tours, but I got a rain check on that and I got to drive the off-road course (instead of just riding) as a consolation prize. Getting to drive an 01 ML430 up and down a 70 degree hill, through water, over rocks, etc., is just good, clean fun. Presentation of the vehicle is very thorough. I can't recommend this experience enough if you're an auto enthusiast.

- The Vehicle: It looks great. Whoever picked the exterior/interior color combo (i.e., me) must be a genius. PROS: The new lights, bumpers, and wheels are a nice improvement. I was very pleased with the fit, finish, and materials. Climate control and rear AC are big pluses. Third row seats are easy to install/remove (and the lady at the factory delivery center had an extra cargo cover laying around, so she threw it in for free!). Sound quality of the Bose is excellent. CONS: Ergonomics are generally quite good, but I cannot believe the placement of the radio controls. I'm around 6 ft tall and have freakishly long arms, but I can't turn down the radio without leaning forward! Perhaps the MCS controls were intentionally designed to entice buyers to spring for the phone/voice control combo. IMHO, a vehicle in this class (and at this price) should have steering wheel audio system controls anyway. This is standard equipment in cars at about a third of the ML's price. Climate controls take a little getting used to, but they're fine after that.

- The Trip: I put around 900 miles on the ML coming home to Texas. Much of the trip was through end-of-the-world-type rain storms, and she handled it with ease. The Dunlops stuck to the ground like glue. Handling on dry roads was surprisingly good. Although it's a vastly different vehicle, it felt like I was back in my old '90 300E again. I guess the best word to describe it is "solid." I did, however, discover a couple of problems during the trip. One, the blinker doesn't turn off automatically when I turn right, and two, the AudioPilot function on the Bose system seems to adjust the volume level at random on occasion (rather than in response to some change in ambient sound in/around the vehicle). I'll get these checked out ASAP.

Overall, I'm extremely happy and excited about the new ML. It's going to be a lot of fun.
  • tlwwsotlwwso Member Posts: 12
    I called roadside assistance and they arrived fairly quick with a new battery. The technician told me that Mercedes has signed a new contract with another battery manufacturer since they (MB) doesn't make the batteries. He also stated that there are many, many batteries that sit around the factory in Alabama and over time they do discharge. I guess I was a recipient of one. He also stated that this vehicle is made to be driven and not sit around in the garage...which is my fault.

I do have to say that I was impressed with the assistance given by the technician. One thing that I thought interesting, was after installing the new battery, he had to reset some type of steering chip by turning the steering wheel all the way to the left then to the right and back again.

Well, I'm headed out to drive my "baby". I was also informed that Mercedes Benz of North Houston will soon be opening the doors of their new location, which will make them the largest MB dealership in the U.S.

Thanks for the note johnnnyc!
    tlwwso
  • sequoiasaurussequoiasaurus Member Posts: 240
    Glad to see you made it back okay; the storms through this part of the South were horrible yesterday.

Two weeks from today I'll be on my way to pick up our ML at the factory. I can't wait. As stated before my ML is exactly like yours except I added M2 and Xenons.

Was there any mention of the when the tour was going to start back up?
  • gwpricegwprice Member Posts: 14
    Elizabeth, who handles factory delivery for MBUSI, told me the tour was on hold indefinitely. Hopefully, it will be back up before you get there. Either way, you'll have a wonderful time. Best of luck to you.

Greg
  • alteriagoalteriago Member Posts: 4
    I am sure that this is a topic which has been beaten to death but I wondered if any of you who have recently looked at both could articulate why you chose what you did.

I am also considering a Toyota Sequoia, anybody compare those three. Sequoiasaurus, did you look at the X5?

Brad
    if I remember correctly - my ML and yours were pretty much configured the same. Did you have any delay in delivery date from your original delivery date?

I was originally supposed to take delivery in early November with late October production. I was told that was pushed off to late November delivery, due to the WTC attacks. I get the feeling someone's yankin' my franklin..
    Three points stick out:

1. People getting burnt.

Seriously - look at http://www.eliteviews.com for more info. Apparently, the fan control switches on the 5 series BMWs of late have the nifty little added feature of catching fire when the owner is not around.

2. Space - or lack thereof.

If you don't need much space, then this isn't an issue. If you do - a 5 series sedan from BMW has more cargo and passenger room. I still wonder how BMW managed to do that.

3. Offroad ability - or lack thereof.

BMW made a nice SAV (what they call it - 'sports activity vehicle). If you're never going to go offroad, never going to carry much (if any) cargo, then it's worth a look. I don't fit into that category, so I went with the ML.

If #1 doesn't bother you, and #'s 2 and 3 don't apply to you - check it out. It did handle very nicely.

Asking around trying to see what the best price was that anyone managed to add navigation to their ML at purchase time, and I heard someone say the dealer threw it in for free.

Could that be? Is this so cheap that a dealer could just toss it in there? I haven't been able to find the dealer cost, but ClairParts sells the nav unit alone for $1550.

I was really hoping to get the dealer to give me a good price on this, since people have been doing about $500-1000 better since the attacks (roughly 10 days after I put the deposit down on mine), and since other manufacturers have been offering all kinds of incentives. I figure fair is fair - I'll pay dealer price, we both make out on the deal (I'll still pay installation).

Could it be the dealer can throw this type of thing in for almost nothing, or was there just a lot of margin to work with in that case?
  • mymlmyml Member Posts: 12
    Hello,

Been an avid reader of this forum especially the M-Class discussion. Finally decided to get an ML. Seriously looked at the MDX but wifey fell in love with ML and said "the decision has been made ... don't even discuss with me about purchasing a vehicle other than ML".

Anybody knows of a good dealer in the SF bay area? One that negotiates at invoice or close to invoice.
  • a32a32 Member Posts: 6
    Here is my question.

I bought the touch up paint and need to prepare the surface to be painted. The tech at the dealership recommended a paint thinner as a cleaner on the surface to be painted prior to application. Anyone agree or disagree ? I have my doubts and feel that the thinner might actually damage the finish.

Any other suggestions for a surface preparation. The scratched area is about 1 inch long and on the liftgate. The scratch has penetrated the paint but not the grey primer coat. I would like to treat this before winter ops.

Thanks
  • kokketielkokketiel Member Posts: 7
    The mudflaps come in black, and fits quite nicely on the ML. We have been very happy with ours. It does impair the off-road ability, since they are not flexible, but we don't drive off-road much, except for on the beach. It does protect the car a lot better than not having them.

They may not fit if you have a sport package - ask the dealer.
  • howvoodhowvood Member Posts: 19
    If you have a digital volt meter, the following readings indicate approximate state of charge:

12.6V = 100%
    12.45 = 75
    12.3 = 50
    12.15 = 25
  • sequoiasaurussequoiasaurus Member Posts: 240
    No delay here. I'm still scheduled for build this Wednesday 10/17 and delivery on Mon 10/29. Spoke with salesman on Friday and he didn't mention any delays with delivery but he also didn't mention the factory tour shutdown either. He said that was NOT true and they were doing it but I told him I knew of two people (now 3) who said that there is no tour going on. I didn't argue with him b/c he seems to be a little bit of a "know it all" anyway.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    I was booked for the ML tour this Friday in Lance, AL (just a stones throw from Tuscaloosa). When I booked it 2 weeks ago, Verta called me back to say the museum and tour were cancelled indefinitely until further notice. I received a call today from Mercedes to make sure that I received their fax stating the tours are closed. They said they would call me back when the tours resume.

Mark. PS, thanks kokketiel for the mudflap info.
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • macbestmacbest Member Posts: 55
    I have had no luck with SF dealers in doing deals. Maybe something has changed since 9/11. But my recommendation to you is to call Bob Blake at Laguna Niguel (949 347 3722) to get yours for the prices you are talking about. I ordered an E430 this past spring from him, with an amazing deal and easily the most pleasant buying experience I have ever had. Sure you have to fly to LA, but I found the experience incredibly satisfying and got to drive the car back up the coast, which was awesome. Tell him I sent you!

Wayne
    Anyone here using them?

I have to admit - I have had this recurring nightmare of my wife going into labor during a snowstorm (she's due on 1/26, primetime on the NYC snow schedule).

I've been thinking about getting a set of snow tires, and mounting them on spare rims, but after seeing this site -> http://4x4abc.com/ML320/ml_chainss.html I've been thinking of going with snow chains instead.

Anyone have a set they can vouch for? Admittedly, I'd rather just be able to throw on a set of chains, since I'd prefer to not have to store a spare set of tires for the summer. But safety is paramount.

• ksydneyksydney Member Posts: 11
    Hello...

I got my ML 320 yesterday. It is Brilliant Silver, with M1, M5 and Bose. The dealer seemed to have a lot of ML's. I could see probably 50 - 75.

Great experience at the dealer, and they seemed really busy too. The dealer was having an Octoberfest event with lots of food. This was great for the kids, kept them occupied. I told my kids if they were bad they would have to wear the Lederhosen (sp?) like the caterers.

My wife had to peel me away from the C320 sport wagon they had in the showroom. If it were just a little larger...

The ML rides great, it seems much more comfortable and composed than my wife's Expedition. The seats in the ML are about as comfortable as the Expeditions, but not as good as a Jeep GC. Believe it or not my Ford E-150 cargo van has great seats (not the vinyl ones, but the genuine cloth versions found only in the fancy cargo vans)

The Bose system sounds good to me so far, but remember I usually drive a cargo van, so if stuff isn't banging around behind me it sounds good.

I have only noticed a couple of build issues. There is a popping feel and sound under the drivers feet when stepped on while exiting. The third taillight looks funny when lit, like theres something inside it.

The garage door opener is cool...we have the rolling code type, so it took a few minutes to figure out.

Question--Is there supposed to be anything in the compartment next to the first aid compartment? It is empty, but looks like it would hold warning triangles when you are disabled on the side of the road.

Bye

Ksydney
  • 52cars52cars Member Posts: 30
    if you found anything in that compartment. you should return it. :)
  • mlx52mlx52 Member Posts: 72
    I was wondering if the Linguatronic system is still an option in the US. I picked up a 2002 brochure at my dealer yesterday and didn't see any mention of it in the brochure. If it still is an option where is the stalk to activate/deactivate it.

P.S. Drew, in the brochure they have a picture of Motorola V60 phone with an asterisk saying delayed availability. I remember that you and I had a conversation about this long ago and I was just following up on it.

Thanks
    Jamie
    Yes, you are correct it houses the warning triangles, however, it is only for the European models. Therefore the US version does not come with anything is this compartment.

Jamie
  • neicey59neicey59 Member Posts: 47
    How many of you tell other ML owners about this forum? I stop all ML owners and inform them of this forum, and give them the website. I have found only 1 out of 50 who previously knew of this site.

We have got to get the word out there, especially since the board is picking up again with new posts (due to the 2002 models?)

Take care,
    Neicey
    is this lousy software.

I hate to be a bad guest - but seriously, what was Edmunds thinking when they decided on WebX?!
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    I took my ML back to the dealer for the "brown stuff." Yes, it was glue. The dealer had to replace the roof lining. I guess MLs have low grade adhensive for the heat/sound insulation.
  • neicey59neicey59 Member Posts: 47
    On the subject of the leaking of the wiper fluid: Did they check your wiper solution bottle? I have spoken to several owners of these trucks whose bottles were cracked.

Neicey
    WebX was used because of its ability to handle large numbers of posts (Town Hall has about 500,000 registered participants). Many other large message boards, such as CNN and the New York Times also use WebX and this was a major factor in deciding on the software. Another factor was also its compatibility with our previous message board software, WellEngaged. Unlike other message boards, our community uses a conversational style rathered than threaded. Granted, some of the "quirks" of the software have been irritating, but for the most part we have dealt with them.

How are you getting to this topic, BTW? Do you subscribe to it and then access it via your message centre?

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • poxpox Member Posts: 11
    I agree with a previous poster that it is difficult to get good deals on MLs in the San Francisco Bay area. I did not get one when I bought my 2000 ML430. However, there have been a couple of posts (including Post 5274 from Wayne) suggesting that it may be possible to do so by purchasing an ML from a dealer in Southern California.

I purchased mine at Smythe European in San Jose and can recommend a salesman there if you are interested. My purchasing experience at Smythe was excellent but their service and parts depts are not as good. I also considered purchasing a vehicle from Autobahn Motors in Belmont (they are located much closer to my house) but decided not to because on three separate visits to the dealership, I could not get time of day from their salespersons.

Pox
    Some people like other forum software because of the appearance, or the means of threading the messages. I don't mind the non-topic oriented version of conversational style - but I still can't understand why it is that you can't search a particular forum. That's beyond me.
    You can search within a topic. The problem is that it doesn't take you to the specific post(s) with your keywords. That issue being worked on right now, as a matter of fact.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • poxpox Member Posts: 11
    Hello

I have a 2000 ML430 with the Bose stereo system. Does anyone know whether the CD player in the vehicle will play CDs embedded with MP3 files? If not, what are my options? Someone suggested that I get myself a "Walkman" style MP3 player with a car adapter but I wonder whether the MCS lid will be able to close correctly if there is a wire sticking out of the cassette player. Thanks in advance.

I recently had a problem with my vehicle that I have not heard on this board. However, when I called the dealership, my service advisor knew exactly what I was talking about and told me that this has been a common problem. What happened is that it became harder and harder to roll up the front driver's side window. It would roll down without hesitation but it would be extremely difficult to roll back up. I kept putting off getting the problem fixed until one day when the window finally got stuck in the open position. I called my service advisor and MB immediately sent a technician to my place of work and he fixed the problem in less than 5 min. He removed the storage compartment between the two front seats, and then proceeded to remove a circuit board from under the window switch controls. The switches are themselves connected to the circuit board. He replaced the entire board with a new one and my window works normally again.

Pox
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    pox:

It's an old problem that we've been talking about on the M-Class mailing list

• ml_s40_rxml_s40_rx Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone purchased the MB rear seat cover? If so, how is the fit? Does the cover accommodate the 60/40 split seat? Does the Java cover look OK against the charcoal leather? Wish they had black. Does the cover allow the leather to breath?

With a baby due in a month and a half, I would like to cover the back seat to protect the leather from the car seat.
  • ksydneyksydney Member Posts: 11
    I think Java would look goofy aganst the charcoal interior.

For our Expedition's car seats we just use a soft bath towel under the backs and bottom seats. We have 2 car seats and the leather looks brand new underneath. The rest of the leather is starting to look not too good at 40000 miles.

I'll be getting a new booster kid seat for our ML, probably another Simpson. (I think it's really a Centruy, but looks cooler).

Thanks for the responses to my question about the missing triangles in the rear compartment.

ksydney
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    We recently sent our 00ML430 for its first service at 10K (it actually had another 4K on the schedule but my salesperson had given me a free unscheduled oil change when buying the vehicle)
    It had a few rattles in the back (lift gate) as well as squicky brakes (brakes silencer pads) and a problem with the navagation (repalced the system along with the cd, a 2000.1 disc.) Unfortuneately the new navagation system seems to have an annoying sound of the cd spinning which the old unit did not. It is going in tomorrow for a look see with regard to this and to repair a rubber seal that fell off of the sunroof.
    BTW, my dealer had their annual saloon show and they had a g wagon on the floor for low seventies, quite a nice piece of machinery. One advantage is no lux tax, as with most suvs. I spoke to a gentleman that has a G55 on order, now that will be an interesting vehicle, sort of an oximoron though, AMG wheels with low profile tires
    for off road?
    I'm in the same boat as you, except with a Java interior, I can get the OEM product. Of course - I still have the same questions. Namely, will the leather still breath, and how well does it fit the seat. According to MB's site, it's a 'custom fit'. You'd have to figure it fits it pretty well, right?

If I were you - I'd check http://www.performanceproducts.com - they seem to have a good number of ML seatcovers, and more than one that is fitted and available in black. They are a bit pricey (at least 1.5 to 2x the price of the OEM seatcover), but the damage prevented to the car should make it well worth it.

I know this isn't the 'audiophile' solution - however..

In your shoes, I'd get myself an MP3 player (I myself have a Rio500 and found it to work very well; others I know swear by the Nomad Jukebox), and an FM modulator. You can run the modulator hidden somewhere, and run a wire with a 3.5mm stereo plug (the headphone plug) which will go into both the MP3 player and the modulator, respectively. You'd then listen on a designated (usually 88.x FM) station.

This is the most cost effective solution, but admittedly, it's not as good as an integrated system. Thing is - this will yield a usable MP3 player when not in the vehicle, and requires minimal intrusion to the car's OEM system.

If you find a good way to integrate something better (I hear the MCS has auxiliary inputs; I'm already working on a small profile PC104 based computer for inside the car, and was going to put an extra LCD screen in there for it until I heard there's a way to tap into the MCS via the aux input) - please let me know.

I'm really surprised there's not more hacking done to the MCS - seems like it's ripe for the picking.
    I too, had the same window problem on my 2001 M-Class, however, the first time it happened it got stuck in the down position while I was close to the dealer, so I drove it right into the dealer and they were able to fix it in 10 mins.

Jamie
  • cheapdannycheapdanny Member Posts: 12
    Thumbs up on the custom fit OEM "liquid proof & machine washable" seat cover. Extremely durable under all conditions (my 4 & 6 yr old can vouch for this)

The seat cover has a soft canvas feel to the top and coated with thick plastic (waterproof) on the underside.

I've had my 01 ML 320 for almost a year and no visible wear or damage on the leather.

Danny d:)
  • samzurc1samzurc1 Member Posts: 19
    How do i convince the service writer that my 99 430 has excessive wind noise on the highway over 60miles? they told my wife it was normal turbulence. I want them to upgrade the door seals . I saw some posts that the dealer did this. PLS> HELP really annoying. thanks
  • gustavmgustavm Member Posts: 43
    I have two little children and two dogs, so it was paramount that we protect the rear seat with the best product. I bought a cover last week and I was very impressed with the perfect fit. It is made so that it doesn't interfere with the safety belts nor the head rests.

I have charcoal leather and it looks very well. The cover is really a dark grey.

-- Gustav
  • leibrechtleibrecht Member Posts: 5
    I am looking into getting a 2002 ML320 in the next few months. Can someone please give me an idea of what kind of deal I should be able to negotiate. How much over dealer invoice is a good deal on this vehicle? I plan on getting the base model plus leather seats, sunroof, and Bose stereo. Also, how long does it take to get delivery of the vehicle and does the negotiation differ when you are getting a vehicle off their lot versus ordering one exactly the way you want it? Finally, for those of you familiar with the 2002 redesign - has Mercedes fixed most of the quality problems that have been discussed before? Thank you all for your input!!!
    from mine (which was similar to your configuration, except with Xenons, Heated Seats, and M7) for $1k over invoice to others in CA managing to get down to invoice.

Seems to me that if you're ready to pull one off their lot, you'll do better. It's also dependent on region, since here in the Northeast you see a lot more of $1k over invoice+. The Left Coast folks, especially CA, have an advantage in making deals, IMHO.

I'd say be very adamant that you won't pay more than $500-$1000 over invoice, and be sure to get the vehicle you want. Don't be convinced into a vehicle not 100% suited towards you just to save an extra $500.

As for reliability - to be honest, initially, I was scared by the ML's reliability history. So much so, that when I first started looking for a vehicle, I almost completely dismissed the 01 ML320. When the 02's came out, just sitting inside the vehicle gave me the impression that they had made numerous improvements, even if only in the quality of components they put inside. Considering that Consumer Reports (which to me has lost a bit on their car ranking the past few years, as their delay in getting VW their due shows) ranked the 00's better than the 99's, and I'm sure the 01's will do better than the 00's, you can assume that quality will have improved.

MB makes a living off their reputation - it would be silly not to protect it, especially with such a strong selling vehicle.

Good luck,
    -John
  • birgerbirger Member Posts: 80
    Hi,

I have just taken a '02 400 CDI back from the dealer to the office My first impressions after some ten miles:

Improvements 01/02: A number of nice features have been added (one-touch up/down for the windows, auto altering of RH rear view mirror when reversing, auto A/C etc). The Bi-Xenons seemed to be OK, but you can't judge from an underground parking.

Improvements 270/400CDI: Well, yes, they are there indeed. But are they really worth spending in the vicinity of US$ 11,000 extra for? Of course, 250 horsepower pull with more authority than 163, and 560 Nm of torque is superior to 400, but what you note most is a significant improvement to the engine's "melody" at low and medium speeds (at higher speeds, the engine is not audible in either truck).

I have the truck till tomorrow, and am taking it for a far more extended drive tonight (somewhere beyond 150 miles). I'll be back with a more detailed impression soon.

One thing that irked me was that this dealer demo (1,000 miles) already had had its fuel gauge gone bananas, reading slightly less than 3/4 full when actually filled to the brim :-(

Kind regards to everyone,
    Birger
  • spfoteyspfotey Member Posts: 131
    does anybody know what i should expect to pay for an extended warranty for my 98 ml320? it is getting close to 50k miles and i want to extend it for another 25k or so??

is that all done thru the dealer?

thx