Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• tracy_lebtracy_leb Member Posts: 39
    Generally the issue with oil changes does not show advantages or usually disadvantages within 50K miles. The benefits of more frequent oil changes will just begin to show at 50K or more. Look at regular oil changes as being akin to dental care. By taking good care of your teeth, they will be around for 70+ years. If you don't take care of them they'll last 20-50 years. If you change your oil frequently (3,000-5,000 miles) your engine will probably last 200,000-250,000 miles. If you use the FSS it will probably last 60,000 to 100,000 miles. If you're gonna sell the car in a few years, it doesn't matter. Of course the next buyer will doubtless be happier to find out you've changed the oil & filter frequently. If you take it to a dealer to trade, they will not care at all....

Regards

...Tracy
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Drew and Edmunds parted ways last week :-(. We're going to miss him.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• 52cars52cars Member Posts: 30
    Is he pissed by edmunds or readers like us?

wish him the best.
    Ah, personnel issues are a bit tricky, you know? Privacy concerns, etc. Suffice it to say that Drew loved you guys :-)

Further inquiries should be addressed to the management. Let me know if you need an email address.

Steve
    Host

• bob259bob259 Member Posts: 280
    Typical of big business today get rid of, or hound them till they leave, the people with the knowledge....... Sorry guys, but this place won't be the same.
  • johnnnycjohnnnyc Member Posts: 166
    I think we would all like to know why Edmunds staff didn't work it's hardest to keep Drew on board.
    Jonah Brown
    Manager, Consumer Services
    Edmunds.com
    jbrown@edmunds.com

Steve
    Host

• marylandml320marylandml320 Member Posts: 21
    "If you use the FSS it will probably last 60,000 to 100,000 miles"

Tracy if you never changed the oil the motor would last for more than 60,000 miles. I believe nobody wants to let go of changing motor oil because thats something that we all could do and do it well. Most people pride themselves in changing their own oil and putting nothing but the best oil they can buy. Nobody seems to be concerned about the transmission fluid, MB use to require it to be changed every 30K miles, now it never needs to be changed, or spark plugs they are now good for 100K miles. Its kinda strange if you go to a service place people want to watch the mechanic change the oil to make sure he doesn't mess-up, but if he is working on another part of the car they could care less...
  • tracy_lebtracy_leb Member Posts: 39
    maraylandml320

I doubt any modern gas engine would last 60K miles without an oil change. By "last" I mean to operate without substantial oil loss and other performance degradation due to a) lack of lubrication and b) accelerated wear of internal components due to lack of lubrication. And c) I predict that the engine would make a lot of phnark phnark phnark rrrrrr noises. Any volunteers???

As to the other maintenance issues, you are correct in your observations. Few seem to care. I'm actually okay with that, as it helps the economy ;)

Personally, I have a long established set of guidelines for fluid and other component changes. However, we were not discussing other fluids. Just engine oil. On my vehicles, all fluids but oil and transmission fluid are flushed and changed annually. Tranny fluid is done at 30K mile intervals, and oil is at 4k mile intervals. Batteries are changed at the end of their warranty. Brake pads are replaced well before metal to metal. Tires a bit before the wear bars are showing, or before the onset of winter, which ever comes first. And so on. I like to keep my vehicles a long time -- I recently sold one that I had for 12 years. Sold it because I haven't used it much in recent years. I got well above market value for it due to the combination of low miles and a well documented and above average maintenance history.

WRT the spark plugs, remember that the ML has 2 plugs in each cylinder. These fire alternately. The jury is still out on how long they will last. I'll be surprised if it goes 100K miles.

Oh, and on a related topic, even though MB recommends against engine additives, I've found that putting some Red Line Complete Fuel System Cleaner about every 15K miles does a great job of blowing out carbon build up. If you've never used this, you are in for a surprise. . .

Thanks for the comments and an opportunity to goof around for a few minutes!

Regards

...Tracy
  • mcarmcar Member Posts: 1
    Our 2001 ML430 purchased 3 mos. ago went in for service last week for rattles and a dash squeak near the front left vent. The service center had a hard time tracking down the source. Then the call came... they found the source to be broken A-pillar frame welds. The car has been in the shop for repair for over two weeks now. Required stripping the dash, breaking and pulling the windshield, welding the pillar, etc. The dealer informs us that MB has a technical service bulletin on this problem. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know where we can get the service bulletin? Very disappointed that a $50k vehicle would have such a problem with less than 2,500 miles.
  • poxpox Member Posts: 11
    AJ

Could you please give me some information on which dealer in the SF Bay area was willing to deal with you. I too live in the SF Bay area and I may be in the market for a new ML sometime soon. If you are reluctant to post the information on the board, please let me know and I will give you my home E-Mail address.

Thanks.

I too will miss Drew. He has been answering my questions for the past 2.5-3 years, first as a participant and then as a Host. I wonder if he will rejoin the discussion as an ordinary participant.

Pox
  • mtsangmtsang Member Posts: 70
    While I don't know the circumstances that Drew had left in, nevertheless, Edmunds.com had surely missed the boat for not being able to keep Drew on the staff.

Drew, much appreciate your insightful responses and words of wisdom. You'll be sorely missed :(
  • neil99neil99 Member Posts: 11
    How often should we rotate the tires? Every 3,000 miles or so?
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    I hate to see him go. I have been a regular here for a long time, I remember when he was a regular member, always venturing good information, then he went on to be an assistant and finally a full host, always polite and sober.
  • rs64rs64 Member Posts: 64
    We will miss you and look forward to reading your posts elsewhere. Thanks so much for all of your past assistance.

Randy
    Perhaps you misunderstood. The "privacy issue" I mentioned is, among other things, meant to protect the host/member, since they aren't around to provide their side of things.

This isn't an appropriate place to discuss the hows and whys of hosts or members leaving Town Hall. Again, please email Jonah Brown with your comments and concerns.

Steve
    Host

• svinaiksvinaik Member Posts: 84
    If you ever start the "Drew : M Class Web site.com ", let us know.

Miss you....
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    I'll miss Drew too. I've been here a longtime and was looking forward to discussing my new ML with Drew when it comes in mid Dec. Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • gschlactgschlact Member Posts: 4
    Can anyone describe the differneces between X5 4.4 and ML500.
    I have not yet driven ML500 but plan too and want to know what to expect.
    When I drove x5 4.4, it was powerful, nice ride/handling and roomy inside for passengers.
    Also, anyone know if dealers are moving on MSRP?
    I like the new 2002 ML looks, and starting$5k less than the BMW (no discount on '02)
    any dealer discounts would really start to widen the gap.
    Thanks,
    Guy
  • neednewcarnowneednewcarnow Member Posts: 3
    AJ -I would appreciate if you would e-mail me the name of the dealer and salesperson who offered you $500/$1500 over invoice. My e-mail address is bookoo89@hotmail.com. Thanks alot
  • gschlactgschlact Member Posts: 4
    Can anyone describe the differneces between X5 4.4 and ML500.
    I have not yet driven ML500 but plan too and want to know what to expect.
    When I drove x5 4.4, it was powerful, nice ride/handling and roomy inside for passengers.
    Also, anyone know if dealers are moving on MSRP?
    I like the new 2002 ML looks, and starting$5k less than the BMW (no discount on '02)
    any dealer discounts would really start to widen the gap.
    Thanks,
    Guy
  • mymlmyml Member Posts: 12
    neednewcarnow,
    You've got mail !

pox,
    What's your email address ?
  • marylandml320marylandml320 Member Posts: 21
    Tracy, I think we are basically saying the same thing but from different view points and sounds like you really maintain your vehicles well. About 12 years ago when leasing a vehicle was still a new concept and there were no penalties for wear and tear or lack of maintenance. A friend leased a MB 190E for about 8 years, during that time he put around 110,000 miles on it and changed the oil twice at 50K and 90K miles. He did have to add oil periodically, but other than that the motor ran fine. Now I doubt that it lasted another 100K, but just an example of the abuse these motors can take....
  • poxpox Member Posts: 11
    AJ

My E-Mail address is spennathur1@home.com. Thanks for the information.

Pox
  • jamrock4jamrock4 Member Posts: 53
    I never met anyone who did not like Drew. He was always professional even when he disagreed with your point of view. Always backed up what he had to say with facts.

Drew was the first person on the internet whom I felt I could trust. Like everyone else I wish him all the best in his future endeavors.
  • gild150gild150 Member Posts: 7
    I am ready to get the ML500. If possible, I will be interested to find out which dealer in the bay area is willing to do $500 above invoice.
    my email address is: gild150@yahoo.com

Thanks.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    As Steve mentioned above, this is not the place to discuss Town Hall management issues. A few posts have been removed for this reason. You may address your concerns to manager@edmunds.com.

Thanks for your cooperation.

KarenS
    Senior Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • sminessmines Member Posts: 2
    Hi--I am new to this board. Just heard about you from a friend who said he will Drew's wit and candor. I didn't know Drew but wish he were back to help me out.....I should have gone on the board sooner...but it took me forever to get to you guys!
    I have a 2001 ML320 that my husband bought for me about a year ago 25th Anniversary. I wished he had ordered it with the Sports package as I love the look of the front lights and sportier rear bumper and meatier fender flares. However, he did not....and I still do love my truck. Was wondering if there is anything new about the 2002 besides the lights in the front bumper---that do not appear to be the same ones given with the sports package or ARE THEY??? What would I expect to pay for new 2002 with Ml-heated seats, bose radio without sports package and with sports package and what should I expect to get for my 2001 10,000 mile excellent condition ML????Alll help appreciated. Please also tell about differences in the two years of ML's comparisons, new additions, changes etc., Maybe, I should just keep my ML and not bother or add flares and running boards to mine. Would I be loosing too much money if I trade it in???? And, can those round front sharp looking fog? lights be added into the 2001 front bumper or not and who would do this???? Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated..... Smines!
  • sminessmines Member Posts: 2
    Anyone think that Mercedes will follow Toyota, the first foreigner to follow the american car companies in offering o% financing on all trucks and cars?
    Well, you members and guests don't see posts when the occasional member gets banned either. A certain popular car salesperson comes to mind offhand, who was invited to leave because of constant soliciting. Not an appropriate topic of discussion, yada yada yada.

(edit mode) btw, I've seen a few of Drew's recent posts elsewhere since he left, and may I suggest that all of you MB enthusiasts try to handle his departure with the same grace that he's shown....

Steve
    Host

• redirectorredirector Member Posts: 27
    Stickers at the dealer show the 02 ML 320 at 15/19 MPG, while the brochure says 17/21, but cites that as 2001 estimates.

Why the reduction for 02? Weight gain?

Also, any real-world experiences with either?

Love the redesign, I think it looks better inside and out.

Also, are General tires still standard equipment? Not good press on those from Carpoint reviews.

- Current MB SLK owner
  • ksydneyksydney Member Posts: 11
    I don't know about the MPG yet on mine.

As far as tires go , my 2002 came with Continentals. They seem good so far with the exception of them following the rain grooves on the freeway.

ksydney
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    Happy to offer a few thoughts. Our '99 was a terrific vehicle, but we had experienced a true manufacturing anomoly regarding the attachment of the front bumper assembly onto the frame rails. I've posted pictures if interested. We requested and received a letter on MB letterhead (to their credit) stating that the vehicle was repaired to MB specifications in case we attempted to sell or trade-in the ML down the road. We did not want to absorb unnecessary depreciation. All that said, the '99 was fantastic and drove very well - my wife loved it.

Since then, she decided she wanted the 2002 ML320 in Desert Silver w/ M1, M2, Bose, Xenons, Sunroof - bought from Kathleen Wall at Atlanta Classic Cars. I will say that we worked from Invoice vs. Sticker and did get a very good deal (under sticker price).

Regarding the 2002 ML itself... what a nice upgrade! Of the things you can see, the improved leather, soft-touch dash, ergonomics, Automatic HVAC system, rear A/C, Bose with MCS, and simpler operation for folding down the rear seats are noticeable.

You will find improved door seals, making for a quieter ride. This is my wife's car... and she actually uses it for a sideline business - she is a Master Gardener and has a Container Gardening business. The simpler operation of the rear seats is a welcomed improvement - no broken nails for her!

Under the skin, the car has numerous mfg improvements. You'll find this to be a very stout vehicle that has exceptional safety scores. Unlike a unit-body vehicle like most car-based SUV's, the ML gives a feeling of toughness and security. We find that the interior space is very useable for large items, so comes in handy. The 2-speed transfer case allows a low-gear for off-roading, pulling a boat out of water, etc.

The 3.2L engine is a terrific piece of engineering, with the FSS monitoring driving conditions to optimize maintenance intervals. The twin-spark design burns cleanly, as this is a ULEV vehicle. Gas mileage is OK - this is a large vehicle, but much better than most. Would only recommend the ML500 if you really need the extra power/torque.

Finally, as you drive down the road, the intangibles come into play! This is a MB and that is worth something! I'll give MB credit for listening to customers and making continual improvements in the vehicle since we purchased our '99. I highly recommend the new ML.

BTW, we have found that the 17" wheel/tire combo offers a superior ride. We have the Continentals on this ML - had Dunlops on the '99. Tires seem to be a good match so far (re noise, handling/steering). My wife noted that at first, she appears to be sitting marginally higher... similar to the pre-2002 ML430.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I'm not a M-Class owner, I have always liked the vehicle. So every now and then I come over here to visit, and to see what's up.

Like many of you on this boards, I too am saddened by Drew's exit. Of all the hosts here at Edmunds, I found him to be among the best, if not THE best.

I'm sure he'll do just fine, in whatever he does. Everyone here benefited from his expertise and eagerness to help. I see this as Edmund's loss, not his...

Bob
  • cindy29cindy29 Member Posts: 8
    Hi everyone. Haven't been here in a while. Just wondering if there was ever any resolution to two ongoing problems I have had with my 01 ML430. First, creeking noise when cold out from A pillar on passenger side. Dealer has "reset" my dash 3 times now. Problem still persists. Has anyone found a solution to this problem? Could the noise be coming from the front fender and not the dash? I know others have had this problem.

Also, brake squeal. Very annoying. Had them reglazed. Still squeaking. Otherwise, this is a very nice reliable truck with good power. I really like to know I can move out when I have to or just want to.
  • Jon90Jon90 Member Posts: 33
    I have compared the ML and the BMW, now i did not drive the 4.4, but i didnt have to. I found the BMW NOT to be roomy at all. I am a big guy, but i could not believe how the B pillar scrunched my right shoulder sitting in the passenger seat, check it out. The driver seat was much better, but sometimes i like to have some help driving. I also found it smaller than the ML, and more expensive. I am shopping for best price on the ML500 now...

As far as Drew, he has shown alot of class at his "new site". But i have to support those that are disturbed by the Censoring going on here. Edmunds thrives on haveing a "Town Hall" where everyone can express a view. I support canning any vulgarity, but it is a public space, on a public web, meant for public comments. I have referred countless people to this site for info, and they are slowing becoming known as one of the top site's for any car info. BUt is is people like Drew that made me log on each nite to see what insight he has offered, or what person he has helped out. He will be missed and Endmunds should try to get him back if possible.
  • neednewcarnowneednewcarnow Member Posts: 3
    Need help. I just started reading the message board so I hope I'm not dredging up old topics. Does the ML320/500/55 qualify for Section 179 deduction? Also, is it better to wait for December to purchase so that its easier to take 100% deduction for the year?
  • leibrechtleibrecht Member Posts: 5
    For those of you who have recently purchased a 2002 ML320 - Where you able to get a significant discount off MSRP? What would be a good deal for amount over invoice? Also, does anyone know what the Mercedes finance rate is at now? Thanks for any info!!!
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Leibrecht, I just ordered my 2002 ML500(Bi-xenon,Bose-6-cd,Metallic paint,M3,M5,M7,CD's for nav)almost 2 weeks ago. I got $1,500 off msrp. With their reaction, you would have thought I ripped them of all their profit. My local dealer gets very close to list at this time of year on the new models coming out. At the end of last year (2000 models) they had $1,500 off written on the windshields of the ML's.
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • hogster21hogster21 Member Posts: 38
    Yeah, you can drink the water now, just that it will have a different set of nasty chemicals. I just love the way politics work - Treat the symptom, not the disease. In this case, leaking fuel storage tanks are to blame, NOT MTBE! Remove MTBE, but tanks still leak! Rant Off.
  • hogster21hogster21 Member Posts: 38
    ...guess oil changes has it's bennies

Statistically, if you had two identical vehicles ran side by side, one with 3000mi oil changes, and one with 10,000, and have shown how one has survived and the other didn't - yes, your statement would be true. Since there is only one condition (3000mi) data set, I cannot say I agree 100% - only 50% ;-)
  • fried13fried13 Member Posts: 7
    Hello,
    Been looking at this board for a while - good info. I too have a little dash creak and squeak on a 01 ML430 - found that there is a plastic body tab on the left front of the wheel well that was rubbing against the metal body frame - located at the bottom of the fender curve - a little WD-40 and it disappeared. As to the creak - haven't had the problem during warm weather - now that its turning colder - we'll see. The "squeak" was definitely the body tab, and it seems to have worn away to the point that it no longer exists. Using WD-40 and natural road vibration seems to work rather than radical surgery that may alter body panel placement.
    Please let me know if you have any other dash creak experience - and possible solutions.

Fried
  • dave01dave01 Member Posts: 12
    Anybody have a favorite truck-top carrier for the ML? I'm (alas) mostly looking to carry general gear, not elongated stuff like windsurfing gear.
  • johnnnycjohnnnyc Member Posts: 166
    above and beyond calling them 'Acuras' to make you feel better, Honda charges you an extra 20% just to make sure you get the 'luxury' experience that other manufacturers normally provide in the form of service (something Honda/Acura know nothing about).
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    You have a new Rendevous? Weird place to hang dude.
    As for alter egos, it's easy to check by matching IPs. Drew has no alter egos.
  • hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    Glad I got to see at least some of these most recent posts before they, too, got deleted...

Happy trails, Drew.
  • callahanncallahann Member Posts: 6
    When I put my ML430 in gear I get a clicking sound in the drive line. Sounds like it is near the transfer case or at the forward cv joint of the rear driveshaft. Any ideas what this is? When you go from forward to reverse or the other way, it does this. Will also do it when giving the gas from a stop.
  • xmailmanxmailman Member Posts: 1
    where are #5450 to #5477 and any new posts?
    Ah, just a bit of housekeeping after a long week.

Steve
    Host

• thirayuththirayuth Member Posts: 3
    My dealer told me that I should use 4ETS and low range gear ratio from time to time. It might malfunction when not in use. Is it true?