Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• gregk1gregk1 Member Posts: 1
    Our 2001 ML430 had the same symptoms. A high pitched short duration squeak... somthing like a mouse but almost a chirp. The dealership re-seated the dashboard several times without finding the squeak. Finally, the shop received a newly released TSB for A-pillar frame weld breakage for the ML430. That's what it turned out to be. The welding repair is extensive requiring fender/light/liner removal, dashboard removal, and breaking out and replacing the front windshield. Our car was in the shop for almost three weeks. I have yet to see the Mercedes TSB on the subject but am trying to get it from the dealer. It should be dated early September. Hope this is helpful.
  • hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    See 5448. 'Nuff said. Thus endeth the lesson.
  • leibrechtleibrecht Member Posts: 5
    I just picked up my 2002 ML320 on Monday. It is Black Opal Metallic with Charcoal leather, Bose, and sunroof. I obviously haven't had it long enough to know of any problems, but it sure does drive great. I had a good buying experience at the dealership (RBM of Atlanta). There was no pressure and I got it for about $750 over invoice and they threw in a couple little accessories. I thought that was a fair deal for all involved.

Over the past couple months I have been reading this message board and there has been a lot of useful information. Since Drew left, there doesn't seem to be a lot of good information about the vehicles at this site. I hope we get back to the subject matter soon because it really does help a lot of people.
  • thor3thor3 Member Posts: 120
    I've been a member of the Edmund's ML forum since 1998...I have never seen a more helpful, thoughtful, intellegent, "fact full" member as Drew. Even prior to him becoming a Host he was what held the board together...not to mention other forums that he participated here on Edmund's.

This is a place to discuss the ML and why we own them...I know for a fact that Drew is directly responsible for providing the facts and leading edge knowledge database that has helped numerous readers in making an educated purchase.

He will be missed deeply : (
  • rajalingarajalinga Member Posts: 9
    Need some advice on shopping/buying an extended warranty. How does one go about getting the least expensive one.. Can one buy from any MB dealer in the U.S?. If so, can anyone share their info. on the least expensive dealer with me. What is the price for such a warranty. Usually, Drew was the "go-to" guy but I understand that he has left and so have some of the regulars from the old days... sad.
    Thanks for your help ... Raj
  • rajesh_pappurajesh_pappu Member Posts: 13
    Looks like I need to change the battery on my 1998 ML 320. The closest MB dealership is 100 miles away. NTB is about 1 mile.... Any advice on whether it is alright to go to NTB and get a battery? If so is there a specific brand/model that I should ask for? Any idea how much an MB dealer will charge to replace a battery??
  • wnielwniel Member Posts: 97
    If the battery actually goes dead on you then call the MB road service and they will replace the battery free. A few months ago I went into my garage to start the ML and it was dead. I called the service and they were there in 15 minutes, replaced the battery and didn't cost me a cent. Being as far away from the dealership, I'm not sure what kind of arrangement that Mercedes has in those cases, but it's worth a try.
    Wally
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    I got my MB Premium Warranty fro Lisa Lehrbaum at Courtesy Mercedes in Chico CA. Her telelphone# is
    800-655-3535. She is very helpful and efficient.
    Your warranty will be honored by any MB dealer in the USA
  • rajalingarajalinga Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for your reply. I shall call her. How much can i expect to pay
    raj
  • rcbrodskyrcbrodsky Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know whether the M Class has an interior bike mount available? Several other SUV makers(Nissan, Acura) have this option and I've read that it's available on the M Class.
    Thanks..
  • gloriadgloriad Member Posts: 18
    Yes, all ML's qualify for this deduction. To qualify gross vehicle weight must be over 6000 lbs. including payload. To get 100% deduction you must use it 100% for business. You can buy it now or at end of year and still get same amount of deduction. I too will be buying an SUV before the end of the year--probably the ML320 or the Sequoia.
  • vp16vp16 Member Posts: 23
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is Section 179 Deduction? I am currently leasing 3 vehicals and deducting 80% for each.
    Prices probably have gone up since I purchased mine. I would still expect the 4 yr 50K premium warranty to still be under $1800.00. Pricing is based on year of vehicle and model.
  • drivenowdrivenow Member Posts: 45
    Just picked up my new Capri Blue ML 500 - Very significant upgrade from my 1999 ML 430, especially much richer interior, better seals around doors, and smoother ride and crisper steering. I'm anxiously awaiting my Motorola V60 phone with voice recognition, which the parts manager says should be available within 2 weeks. Does anyone have any insight into the availability of this high tech cell phone? Thank you.
  • gloriadgloriad Member Posts: 18
    The vehicle needs to be purchased not leased and for 2001 the maximum deduction is $24000.00. For more detailed information just do a search on Google.com and check with your tax accountant.
  • vp16vp16 Member Posts: 23
    Thanks for the info. It looks like I already reached my limit this year. Thats probably why my accountant told me to lease the vehicles. I too seriousely considered the ML320. Its a solid vehicle with an excellent safety record. However, I think the xenons and the third row seats should be standard and not expensive options. I finally went for a MDX. The thing that really won me over was its navigation system. The COMAND is just not very user friendly and the screen is too small. Otherwise, I could have easily purchased the ML.
  • gustavmgustavm Member Posts: 43
    I just got my V60 phone. Do you know if I can adapt it to my '02 ML320?

-- Gustav
  • gustavmgustavm Member Posts: 43
    I just talked to a rep. at MB, and he told me that unless the phone is sold and installed by MB, no other V60 model will work. Apparently, Motorola custom-designed a V60 series to work with the CMS in the car. The v60 has the Mercedes-Benz logo on it, instead of the Motorola one.

What a bummer! I already bought my phone!

At the same time, I am sure that they will be charging some outrageous price for it and one might not get the same plans offered by the provider (be it Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, etc.).

-- Gustav
  • Jon90Jon90 Member Posts: 33
    I just ordered an ML500 today after an exaustive search. Looked and compared for over six months, came to conclusion ML is the best value out there and the best fit for me.

I also got below dealer invoice. Looking forward to driving.

BTW, i have really left this board for the most part and followed all the regulars/drew....good luck to all those hanging around!!
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Jon..... below dealer invoice? or do you mean below MSRP? That would mean $4,000 off of MSRP if you got it below invoice.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • mymlmyml Member Posts: 12
    Jon,

Do you mind sharing the dealership where you bought your ML for below dealer invoice. Thanks.
    Yes, i got an ML500, for below dealer invoice. I thought they made a mistake (maybe they did) but i got it in writing and have made my deposit via credit card.

They do have a dealer processing fee (which every dealer, for every mfg, in VA has to do the DMV stuff and other paperwork i guess) I guess this "fee" nets them out at 250.00 over, but I was going to pay that anywhere i went in some fashion. Regardless, my initial dealer made it sound like thy were stretching to give me $750-900 off (they have a "fee" too).....then this dealer quotes $3495 off on the first try...

I got the 500 with xenon, third seat, bose and sunroof, and metallic paint

i have asked my rep if they want to be "listed", and am waiting a reply....it was a dealer outside DC. She said she can sell to any state, just have to remit tax for your state. I wanted to buy local but they just wouldn't come close to that deal. This woman came to the plate on the first try with this deal....absolutely NO HAGGLING. So I went with her! Very friendly i might add.

I will post name if she consents....
    Her name is Danyiel Anderer, at HBL Motors in Tysons, VA

I havent obviously taken delivery yet, so cant attest to more than a good price, honest answers, a friendly voice, and zero haggling (which i detest)

Her number is 703-770-2389, please tell her Jonathan sent you
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Please, folks, let's refrain from posting phone numbers here! We cannot verify them for accuracy.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    Jon, sounds like you got an unbelievable deal.. Let us know if they actually follow through. Good luck. Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • donlinodonlino Member Posts: 39
    FYI...The $24,000 limit is a limit on the maximum amount you can expense for a vehicle in the first year. In other words, if the car costs $40,000 and we assume you use it 80% for business, then you can expense no more than $24,000 in the first year of the $32,000. The remaining $8,000 (I believe) can be expensed in the second year.
  • zach9zach9 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone give me some guidance on interior colors on the ML? I'm looking at black opal exterior and I really like the Java interior, but I'm concerned how it will show wear and tear, particularly with kids getting in and out. How does the Java look after a couple of years?? My second choice is black, but seems like it would be hot in the summer.
  • maabmaab Member Posts: 41
    We have java interior (silver ext.) in our MY 00. We also installed sheep skins in the front and MB all weather seat cover in the back. Our two munchkins can just about spill anything they want in the back. HTH.
  • midwestmbmidwestmb Member Posts: 7
    have the MB Basic Carrier bars and the large Cargo Carrier, bought new with the 2000 ML320.
    In short, we love them. Easy to put the carrier on and off. The bars stay on the car - MB/Thule provide rubber strips to fill in the slots where the carrier's guide rails slide in so there's less wind noise when the carrier isn't in place. One reasonably strong guy can put the carrier on/off alone...two are better but not required. The large cargo carrier will easily hold 6-8 soft sided bags. It appears to penalize fuel economy by 1-2 MPG at most. With 6 people in the car and full luggage, we can get 18-20MPG at 70MPH.

BTW the truck looks cool with the bars on it, with or without the luggage container mounted.
  • leibrechtleibrecht Member Posts: 5
    I just got a black opal ML320 with Charcoal (black) leather. I, too, was concerned about the heat, but I saw some studies that showed the interior color of a car has little to do with the inside temp (only a couple degrees difference between black and beige). It seems strange, but the exterior color of the car has more to do with the inside temp. Since I wanted a dark colored car and the charcoal leather looks better and will hold up better over time, I went with the darker leather. I hope this helps. By the way, I LOVE the car!!!
    I will be getting Java leather with a Desert Silver exterior (goldy-beige) on '02 ML500. A friend of mine who has a '01 S500 got Black with Java, The mats are truly the worst to keep clean. So, he went down to Autozone and bought after market mats to put on top of the existing java mats. The color matches the top dash color perfectly and now the problem is solved. The new mats show virtually no dirt while protecting the light java mats. I will probably do the same when my '02 ML500 arrives. I found that the Ash leather color easy to keep on my '00 E430.

M.
  • ccweemsccweems Member Posts: 33
    If I see any more color questions I'm gonna puke. Ultimately its a personal decision which only they buyer and their close associates can make. Unless its Stevie Wonder doing the posting I don't see what any of us have to offer.
    Ccweems....here's a barf bag... have at it! Of course it's a personal decision on a color choice. But, folks who are deciding on a color have asked legitimate questions. And I can tell you, Ash color carpeting is 75% easier to keep than Java.

M.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ccweems,

Ultimately its a personal decision which only they buyer and their close associates can make.

Of course it's a personal choice though one ought to take into account the resale potential of a canary green Mercedes! ;-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • gild150gild150 Member Posts: 7
    What would be a reasonable price for a ML500 in the SF bay area? I want the options of m1, m3, m7, xenon light, and bose. Are they still sold at MSRP?
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Discounts are a possibility in Southern California. Never hurts to ask for one in your area.
    I bought for below dealer invoice. About 3,500 off sticker
  • kwest1kwest1 Member Posts: 12
    My 1999 ML 320 is now due for a routine service (approximately 40K miles). Does anyone know the elements of a standard Service Level B check-up/oil change? My local dealer plans to charge approximately $400 for this service. Does anyone know whether a service by a non-MB shop would invalidate the warranty?
  • moogoomoogoo Member Posts: 1
    I went to a dealer offering me $500 over invoice for black opal M1, M5, bose, smoked glass here on the gulf coast of Florida. Is that a good deal? Also, should I get any other must have options, like the xenon lights? What about the extended warranties. I don't drive that far, but intend to keep the car a long time. Thank you all.
  • wnielwniel Member Posts: 97
    I have done all of the servicing on my 98 ML and it did not invalidate the warranty. The only thing that the dealer has done on my truck is warranty work.
    I hope that this helps.
    Wally
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    sshowitt:
    Don't do it! Don't post questions like that! They'll censor your msgs!
    If you complain about censorship, they'll delete the msgs!
    If you email them and complain like they ask you to, your email will be deleted!

But, hey, it's not my forum.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Take a look at this message:
    steve_ Oct 22, 2001 8:50am

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Little-known High Performance Division Packs Extra Punch in Mercedes-Benz Cars

Steve
    Host
  • mkwamemkwame Member Posts: 21
    Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. We've been shopping for an SUV we've narrowed our choices to the ML320 and the RX300. Ideally my wife prefers a 3rd row seat option; we've 2 kids 7 and 4 year old. We don't like the MDX the side looks like a mini van besides we don't want to wait 3month. RX may not be suitable for our long & hilly driveway on snowy nights (the wife works 2nd shift)We've spotted a 2000 model, black opal with charcoal leather interior w/ almost 15k miles at a Lexus dealership. It has the M1,M2 M7, Navi, Bose cd changer, chrome brush guard and running board or (step) for $37,900.
    I need your help, what is a reasonable offer for this vehicle. When I test drove it I noticed driver's sideview mirror vibrates badly, other than this it looks like a new ML.
    One place to start is looking at the True Market Value and hopefully someone will chip in with values for the extras that aren't listed under options there.

Steve
    Host
  • akwasiakwasi Member Posts: 8
    I own a 2001 ML320 with every imaginable option. Before, I owned a 1998 ML320. It is a very nice SUV, and drives like a car. Concerning the mirror vibration,let a Benz dealer check it. It could still be under warranty. If you want more sites to check for a decent price to pay for that SUV, you may also check the Kelly Blue book (kbb.com) in addition to the Edmunds True Market Value numbers.

Good luck. Addai
  • shaker58shaker58 Member Posts: 130
    37900 is very high you can get a 2002 with same options for 41000 and they just did a restyling on the ml320
    Here's a grumpy review to cap off your Monday.

Steve
    Host
  • sjefferysjeffery Member Posts: 10
    Hello everyone,
    I am looking at two used ML 320's. The 1998 has 44,000 miles and the 1999 has 43,000. They should price out in the $28-30K range according to KBB. Can anyone help me determine which is the better way to go? Thanks in advance. Stephanie