Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• aakretchmeraakretchmer Member Posts: 6
    Hello, all. This is my first message on the ML site, so hello and happy new year to all of you. In Oct. 1997, I bought an early ML 320, officially a '98 vehicle. I went through the remote key problem, the rear hatch problem and the right front shock absorber problem. The car has been trouble-free (knock wood) after those minor problems were solved. I would like to add soundproofing to the car because it's extra noisy when going from 0 - 30 m.p.h. According to a Mercedes salesman I know, Mercedes added 'tons of soundproofing' in model year 2000. When I asked my service mgr. (who has been great so far) about soundproofing, he said not to bother. But he doesn't drive my car regularly. Has anyone had any experience adding soundproofing to ML series SUV's?

Thanks,

Arthur
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome aboard! I am sure someone with direct experience will be happy to provide the information you seek. We're looking forward to hearing more from you in the Town Hall!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • lambo_oreolambo_oreo Member Posts: 15
    I got it in Leith Mercedes Raleigh, NC.
  • thor3thor3 Member Posts: 120
    Hi,

You may want to check 2 sources for soundproofing...1) Local Stereo Installation Store... many that specialize in high end systems have special soundproofing material and it can be installed in many ways... there is a plastic film type material that you place on the inner door panel frame - very easy install - cut trim to size and reinstall the door panels... this same material can be used in other locations..rear hatch for example... you can get the material from:

http://www.crutchfield.com

In a similar fashion there are also stick on dense pads that are used for soundproofing and can be placed on the interior door panels (metal) to absorb noise (this used vs. the spray on technique mentioned below)...I have seen these use on high end stereo systems and even available at auto parts mail giant:

http://www.jcwhitney.com

2) Companies that do rustproofing (Ziebart) also have soundproofing qualities... for example when you have a panel with rustproofing sprayed on it there is much less noise transmitted through the panel ...I have removed many door panels over the years and have seen thick black "stuff" on the inner door skins (metal portions)and this deadens the sound substaintialy...you can get a similar effect by purchasing a rubberized undercoat spray product sold at local auto parts stores and remove the inner door trim panels and spray the inside of the door making sure not to block any of the drain holes. Companies such as Ziebart do this without removing the trim panels because they use the drain holes and drill other small holes to access these areas.

The above will substantially reduce the road noise heard inside the cabin... probably more than the newer ML's have.

3) Forgot one - you can update the door seals to the newest double door seals... search for this in this forum and the other informative ML forum at:

http://www.mbnz.org

Hope this helps - Frank G.

• sto1sto1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I got mine with M1, M5 and bose for 39300
    (Sillicon Valley).
    Steven
  • rs64rs64 Member Posts: 64
    you may also want to take a look at http://www.noisekiller.com
    Thor,

Thanks for the soundproofing information. Much appreciated. Can I assume that one of your possibilities for the doors will work under the hood as well? Seems to me that most of what I hear is low speed engine/transmission noise. The beast is actually quieter on the road at 50 mph than it is driving away from a stoplight, zero to 25.

Arthur
  • 1999ml3201999ml320 Member Posts: 1
    On my 99 ML320, I have had this problem from get-go. During cold winter days, the heater cycles between too hot and cool. It's hard to choose a comfortable setting and leave it untouched. Requires constant manual adjustment. Also, the hot air flow going to floor/legs is weak. Took it to dealer twice, they say it's working ok. I do leave the air-conditioner on to prevent any fogging. Still noticed some fog on windshield & front windows.

Any advice would be appreciated.
  • pdo90065pdo90065 Member Posts: 6
    Mine is Alabaster White/Java, with the M1 M2 M5 and Bose options. So far so good, well kind of:

@54 miles - Purchase and delivery - Wow!
    Problem: Found two minor chip/crack in the paint where the panel below the headlights meet the fenders. Solution: Dealership applied some touch-up paint - except the 'white' they used did not match my car's paint. They offered to repaint both front fenders - uh, no thanks.

@60 miles - Got the chrome side-step bars installed - Wow!
    Problem: Someone left a 3" blue-pen mark across the glove-box cover. Solution1: Dealership rubs the pen mark off with some sort of solution - which then left a discolored swirl mark, 5" in diameter instead. Solution2: Dealership ordered and replaced the entire glove-box with a new one.

@120 miles - Finally got a chance to see how my new ML320 feels on a freeway. Problem: Rear-view mirror completely broke off, hanging by two exposed wires while I was making adjustments - on the freeway! Solution: Dealership ordered and replaced the rear-view mirror assembly with a new one.

@800 miles - Handling is very precise for an SUV, almost sporty even. Comfort is wonderful with no rattles and shakes from anywhere (not yet). There is this vault-like build to this vehicle - nice! Problem: Radio/tape/CD sound volume seems to fluctuate with vehicle speed and/or cabin noise. Solution: Help?

I've read here that this is normal because of the auto-level adjustment feature. I've also read that others have had the entire unit replaced. Please provide any comments/feedback/information on what I should do.

Regardless - I still LOVE this beauty. Also, I really like and appreciate the wealth of information being shared here by everyone.
  • nobadeernobadeer Member Posts: 3
    Hi -- I have a mid-90s Ford Explorer...for all its various faults, it does have a fair amount of rear cargo space....about 18 square feet (5 feet wide x 3.5 feet long from the passenger seats to the rear hatch).

I am thinking of replacing the Explorer with the ML320... would be interested in knowing the square footage in cargo space. I can't find these dimensions, only the total cubic footage, which can be deceptive since an SUV may have a high roofline. For me, square footage is key.

Would appreciate any data from ml 320 owners, thanks!
  • troutbum1troutbum1 Member Posts: 6
    After 2000 miles the pull is clear and i've checked w/front tire presuure at dealers suggestion. Anyone experience similar problems, and is there such a thing as srearing being too loose? Thanks
  • lambo_oreolambo_oreo Member Posts: 15
    I got a very steep driveway and I'm worried that this may rub on the incline. Right now I got aroun 4 in of clearance on the incline. Comments welcomed.
  • thor3thor3 Member Posts: 120
    The addition of the MB side step bars should have minimal impact on ground clearance... the lowest point of contact will still be "other" body/suspension related components and not the side bars. They don't mount low they are at the rocker panel level with mounting points right at the frame... Perhaps your MB dealer or even the MB Service Dept. has an ML with side step bars for you to look at and convince yourself.
  • roger23roger23 Member Posts: 48
    I have owned a 1998 ml320, a 2000 ml430, and now have a 2002 ml500 sport. The insufficient heated air flow problem you have is the same I had on my 1998 & 2000 models. I think it was a inherent characteristic on model yrs 1998 - 2001. For 2002 MB installed a more powerful fan motor and redesigned floor venting, so the airflow is now much improved. I could suggest that you make sure your dash centre vents are kept closed to maximize airflow to the footwell areas.Hope this helps.
  • roger23roger23 Member Posts: 48
    Congrats on your new ML320! If the sound fluctuations are a concern, you could ask your MB dealer to disable this feature. Some people seem to be happy with it enabled, others would rather keep it disabled.
  • cticctic Member Posts: 291
    How does it work when the ML gets it's emissions tested? Do they have rollers for both front and rear wheels?
  • eversonseversons Member Posts: 38
    Here in Kirkland WA, they do not put vehicles with AWD or traction control on rollers for testing. They just test the exhaust while sitting on the concrete.
    I'm in WA too. So do you get in the same line as all the other vehicles or do they have a special line for AWD?
  • thecpathecpa Member Posts: 16
    I have a 2000 320ML and very happy with it. No problems, it's going in for its first service next week, 12k and it's never needed a repair. Knock on wood.
    The truck's volume knob on the sound system is on the passenger side requiring a good reach with the right hand to tune it up or down. The sound system was obviously designed for wheel controls and put into the ML without the wheel control as cost containment. This is my vote for the single worst design feature.
    The ML particularily notes the turn signal feature of push for lane change and you get 3 blinks is to keep your hands on the wheel for safety. Its a neat feature and I like it. Why sacrifice safety for a easy sound system redo on a 40k truck?
    Does anyone have any novel solutions? Bigger knob or a custom rewire to a speed sensitive volume kick-up?
  • vinceburlappvinceburlapp Member Posts: 64
    The Pacifica is still, mostly a Chrysler.

But with a price of around $35000, is it competing with its M class cousin?

There's a picture of it at:

http://www.thehollywoodextra.com

go down to the "car page"
  • pham2001pham2001 Member Posts: 15
    Hi,

Just got chrome side step bar, chrome front gill guard and rear spoiler installed last week. They
    all looked very nice. But one minor problem was the rear spoiler color wasn't exactly match.
    It looked like silver instead of mine is in desert silver. I'll request it needs to be repaint but do not know whether the dealer will do.

Some other minor problems were the front fog lights are coming off ( I temporary taped it tight for now) and the Center Armrest latch is broken (dealer already ordered a replacement).

Beside these minor problems I found everything else is working fine so far. The Bose system sounds great but I didn't like the auto volume adjustment feather. I will ask the dealer to disable it. No rattling anywhere inside. I liked that.

I already put on more than 800 miles on the car and enjoying every minutes driving it.
    Love to reading this board and will share my experience from time to time to everyone.

I want to get a bug reflector but don't know where to buy it on-line. Could someone provide me with the web site?. Thanks.
  • biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    You can get it from WWW.performanceproducts.com
    or you can call them at 1-800-243-1220
  • mgm9991mgm9991 Member Posts: 3
    After an exhausting test drive series that included the X5, MDX, Sequoia, Explorer...you get the picture, I found the perfect combination, the ML, Everest green w/java w/ M1, M5, Bose and leather jump seats. Of all the cars, none had the fit and finish and comfort features and safety record of the ML. My only gripe thus far with 400 miles on the ML is that my dealer used a buffing wheel to wax the car before I took delivery and left several faint swirling scratches. I just want to say one thing about the MDX, I was prepared to buy that truck, but couldn't believe the nerve of the dealers I was checking, about 7 - 8 that wanted 2 -3k over invoice and being pompous about it. I'm very happy so far.
  • eversonseversons Member Posts: 38
    In Kirkland, it is the same line up with the other cars. But, the left lane is almost always quicker!

Come to think of it, our ML55 is due to get emissions testing next month. 24 months, 20,000 miles and only one service call at Barrier Motors.
    In a few months you'll forget about your swirling scratches. The most important thing you have to worry about is chipping of the paint. It seems to happen in the first few months before the paint has had time to cure fully. Just make sure you don't hang around behind gravel trucks and follow close behind anyone on the freeway. Or you can get a bra. After a few months the chipping doesn't seem to occur anymore.

I'm amazed that the Acura dealers are still asking 2-3K over invoice now.
  • geardaddiesgeardaddies Member Posts: 5
    I see that you are looking at the RX, X5, and ML. All 3 are great but if cargo space is what you are most concerned about then it is not much of an issue. The ML has way more cargo space than those others. The X5 and RX ride a tiny bit better with the X5 looking the coolest, but for the $, the ML wins. The RX can't tow enough and is a car. Sure the ML has lots of little goofy things like no place to put your cell phone and far away stereo controls but it is overall super sturdy and a decent value.
  • cassiricassiri Member Posts: 40
    Has anyone had any experience with either the Dunlop Sport 5000 that is now std equipment or the Michelin Cross Terrain SUV. I currently have Dunlop Grandtrek's on my '99 ML430 and have been fairly happy with them. I could stand something with a little better wet grip but don't want a rougher ride. Input from someone who has experienced the ride of either would be appreciated.
  • bavendabavenda Member Posts: 9
    I bought the SP5000 for my 99 ML about 2 months ago and love them. They are quieter, softer and corner much much better than the Grandtrek tires. They work well in the rain but haven't tried them in the snow yet. They are a little hard to find but worth the effort.
  • sencsenc Member Posts: 44
    I have a 98 ML320(original owner) and have recently started experiencing the driver's window being hard to raise with the switch. It will go up a little, then stop and I toggle the switch and it goes up some more, but at some point, it will probably fail completely. Has anyone had any pwr windo failure and was it the motor or the switch? If out of warranty, ho wmuch was the repair cost? Any info would be appreciated...S
  • macbestmacbest Member Posts: 55
    I have a 2001 ML320 and have had the car in the shop to be repaired twice already for this issue. The problem both times is the window switch went bad. They replaced it both times. Same exact issue as previous post with mine occuring in Yosemite in the snow!

The dealer was concerned that they could replace since there has been a "run" on window switches; they stated this have become a "common problem". Very disappointing since it can happen when you least expect it.
    Supposing you got your ML in 1997, if you go to the dealer right away you still might get it fixed under warranty, since this appears to be a known problem and the '98 ML is a known problem itself. It just happened that your switch broke after the warranty expired. After all I'm sure that Mercedes-Benz did not design it's components just to last only 48 months and leave customers high and dry after that.
  • smwls8smwls8 Member Posts: 103
    I am leaning heavily toward a 2000-2001 ML purchase with our 3rd child on the way. The problem is I rarely find that the ML I am interested in has the 3rd row jump seats. I have heard they are $1500 through a MBZ dealer. Any other sources for these seats?

Thanks
    Sam
  • pham2001pham2001 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks to bike5.

I already bought a bug reflector from WWW.performanceproducts.com and installed it.

My new ML320 already had 3 paint chipping spots before. But now I don't have to worry about it.

I'd like to recommend other owners to install a bug reflector to their truck. It will absolutely stops paint chipping on the hood.
  • cavman2xcavman2x Member Posts: 26
    This is a major quality issue for all year ML's. I have an 01 and replaced the driver's during the first 6mos. Both front window's are now acting erratic and it will be going in on Wed for a service. I was told a emergency way to get the window up is to snap off the black rocker, pull out the white plunger, and take a small toothpick size probe and press down on the metal contact on the right side. Luckily I haven't had to try this so I can't say how it works. I thought by now MB would have designed a new switch because this complaint is extremely common. Good luck G
  • cdiccdic Member Posts: 36
    Common problem, although the service rep told me they had it figured out when I had mine replaced last month. Yeah - right - they figured it out alright. That's why the 02 has a different arrangement.
    I have seen the switch assembly on eBay (~$50) and will likely get one for when off warranty. It is an easy repair. I also hope we can continue to get the older style if we are going to need to.
  • imariquinnimariquinn Member Posts: 96
    Has anyone assumed a MB Credit lease? I am looking at assuming an '01 ML 320 w/9000 miles lease at $0 down and $592.42 a month for 24m with $25K residual at 2/04 lease end. How does that sound? (I am looking at several lease assumption deals as well to avoid putting down big money at dealership for new and longer lease terms). Also, I have excellent credit and don't see a problem with MB Credit, but don't they keep the orig lessor on the note somehow? Is there a way around it? I don't want to put my hopes on this deal if he is going to shy away because of them wanting to keep him liable as well. He advertised the deal as TAKE OVER LEASE. Thanks for any experiences assuming a MB lease. Christine
  • JOFOJOFO Member Posts: 14
    I'm looking to purchase a 02 ml320 within the next few weeks. For the money and the safety features, it seems to be the good bet. I test drove it today and was a little surprise how loud it was when you hit the pedal. My old 4runner isn't that loud at all when I floor it. I was also a little surprise at how much it seemed to struggle taking off. Everything else about the car is great. Are the engines somewhat loud when taking off?

Thanks,

JOFO
  • procterprocter Member Posts: 19
    Has anyone tried larger tires on the 17" rims? If so how big and did they rub?
    The engines and transmissions on the 6-cyl. models are loud at low speed and seem ponderous on takeoff.
    The mileage odometer went dark on my ML320 at 26,400 miles. The truck is two months out of warranty. When I went to pick it up, the bill was $271.00. I told the service manager that I thought that it was an excessive charge. He told me how much labor is involved in taking apart the dashboard to get at the light. I told him that it is a fix that Mercedes should pay for. A mileage indicator shouldn't go dark after 26,000 miles. It's not like a headlight. It's supposed to last the life of the car, or let's say, at least 100,000 miles. He put on his stone face, and I paid for the repair. It's another example of the incomplete thinking -- from cup holders to keys to the O2 sensor to tailgate problems to wind noise -- that went into the ML320.
  • nehoffmannehoffman Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone experienced severe oil usage (3 qts/5k miles)on either a ML329\0 or ML430? Just had to have a ring job on my 2000 Ml430 with 22k miles. I've heard that there are some oil usage problems but my dealer denies any problems. Thanks
  • birgerbirger Member Posts: 80
    Hi, nobadeer

I now drive my second ML, but have also been an early Explorer owner. The load surface length in the ML might be just a tiny bit shorter than the Explorer's, but it's not very much. The cargo area in itself is FLAT on both trucks, and the ML is wider and taller. I have a holiday home nearly 800 miles away, and transporting stuff down there is a LOT easier in the ML than it was in the Explorer (I shudder at the thought of having done the trip with the Explorer fully loaded on the standard (inflated to max, though) Firestone ATX tires - at 85 MPH....). On the other hand, both ML's have put in duty as moving vans with no problems. Below you see the 270 after going to the IKEA furniture store in a BIG way. FYI, there's 400 kilos on the roof bars, and another 400 kilos waiting to be unloaded from the back. This is not something I'd recommend!! But renting a van on-site, go nearly 150 miles, unload, drive the empty van back, and then returning with the ML was not attractive either!!

With the passenger seat ALL the way forward (it can't be occupied then) there's JUST enough room to put in packages of 210 cm high furniture elements - which eliminates the need to use the roof rack - and this is nice in winter.

I was happy at the time with the Explorer - but it's no comparison to the ML. However, if you want cargo space AND safety and not necessarily a "truck" with a separate frame, have a look at the new Volvo XC90. Apparently it's bigger than the ML cargo-wise.

Good luck with your purchase,
    drive safely
    Birger
    Thanks everyone for all the great info. If anyone has replaced the switch themselves, I would appreciate any instructions on how to get to the window switch in the console to replace it. (just can't justify taking it to dealer for a simple fix-they'll try to charge me $100+). thanks
  • dave68dave68 Member Posts: 16
    I'm trying to install a front facing child seat in my 99 ML320. I called my dealership today to ask about tether anchors for the child seat and they said that they were not available. Is it safe to install the seat without having the tether strap installed? Dealership told me that they are required on all vehicles 2001 or newer, but there was nothing available for 99 models. Any help is appreciated.
  • dave68dave68 Member Posts: 16
    Overall my 99 ML320 has been a good vehicle. It has had its share of annoying squeaks and rattles that drive me "insane". I've had no major mechanical problems. In my opinion, the build quality is not as good on the ML as MB sedans. Granted, the price is not as high as the sedans either. I also understand that MB has made improvements over the last few years on this vehicle.

I'll be driving the vehicle for one more year and plan on trading it in. I've not decided what I'm getting next, but I will be looking at the BMW, ML and the Acura. A friend of mine has the BMW and the interior does seem much nicer than the ML.
    I was wrong about the dealers...I took my vehicle to Beck Imports in Charlotte today and they replaced my window switch as a courtesy at no charge!! They do a great job every time I'm there and free while I waited was extra nice!!
    I have 54,500 miles on mine and bought it new in late '98. It is a '99 ml320. (Previously had a '98 but that's a different story.) I've had my share of annoying squeaks and rattles(doors, etc). The first year, I took it in several times for these items and all were eventually corrected except the noisy sunroof which was a poor design(sounds like a window is open all the time). The only crippling failure I had was the electronic fuel pump, which wouldn't shut off when I got home one night and they towed it in and fixed it under warranty at about 48k miles. All said, it is the only vehicle that I have ever driven with 54k miles that still drives like it did when it was new(except the 325IS I once had). The interior and sunroof and many other items have been addressed in later years. My brother's wife drives a 2002 ML500 and the interior is as nice as the sedans. Seats have more/better leather, doors have leather, etc. Much nicer than the early years. That is what M-B does best, constantly refine the vehicles and don't really publicize all the improvements, but when you drive a newer one, you will notice them. I still think the sedans are better and hope to trade mine for a C240 or another ML this year. Recently, I got to drive mine all over the city in snow and it was as if the snow wasn't even there it was so sure-footed. I've driven all makes and M-B still APPEARS to build the best vehicle, but you do pay for it. Beware of those BMW's. They are built close to me and many people have bought them and have MANY problems with them, similar to the early ML's. Check out the BMW sport ute board on here and you will see the same problems showing up repeatedly. You would be very satisfied with a 2002 ML, IMO...
    If it's an option you should consider going to another local dealer for service if there is one.

Maybe you could also have complained to the service manager. After reading 1000's of posts here, it seems that complaining more might help. MB is supposed to have a good reputation for service.
    I have a 2000 ML and you can buy a tether anchor kit that you can install on 98s-2000's. I ordered one and after 3 tries their service department couldn't install it! They either didn't have the instructions or all the necessary parts.

I finally asked for the kit back and returned it to the parts department, and to add insult to injury, the service department lost a few parts and the parts dept wouldn't give me a full refund. However, I asked to speak to the parts manager and he did give me the full refund. The kit cost about $100(?), the most expensive collection of plastic and metal nuts and bolts I'd ever seen.

What I ended up doing was running the tether anchor stap either over or under the 2nd row seat back and attaching it to the metal catch on the floor for the 3rd row seats. It's pretty sturdy.
  • pdo90065pdo90065 Member Posts: 6
    I thought my 02 ML320 engine was a little louder than I had expected as well. But it seems to have gotton alot quieter now that it's broken in - 1000+ miles. Knock on wood - no signs of squeaks and rattles yet.