Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• lambo_oreolambo_oreo Member Posts: 15
    All, I just bought a '02 ML320 and I just want to make sure how the auto-tilt-down works. On the brochure its suppose to be standard. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. On the BMWs it works by moving the power adjustment to the driver side but w/ the ML For some reason I can't seem to figure out the combo. Any ideas?
  • pdo90065pdo90065 Member Posts: 6
    your side view mirror adjustment needs to be set for passenger side - and it only works for that side.
  • marylandml320marylandml320 Member Posts: 21
    Its hard to believe that those are your impressions of the ML, compared to an old 4runner. In comparison the 2002 4runner V6 only puts out 183hp at 4,800 rpms and 216 lbs of torque at 3,600 and weighs around 4,200 lbs. The ML puts out 215 hp and 233 lbs of torque starting at 2,800 rpm and weighs 4700 lbs. The ML should feel, and is much quicker and faster then the lastest 4runner, and any old versions...
  • mrcolton12mrcolton12 Member Posts: 1
    just purchased an ml500 and am wondering if anyone has any ideas regarding a rattle coming from the area of the rear hatch, sounds like right side ...

this forum was beneficial locating the dash rattle and hopefully the dealers remedy.

also, the rpm at freeway speed (75 mph) is about 3000. seems high in relation to the e320 that loafs at around 2500.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    ****Details*****

When: Saturday Jan 19
    Where: Pine Barrens (Lebanon State Forest, NJ)
    Meet: Intersection of Rte 70 and 72 near Whiting, NJ
    Time: 10:45-11am
    Who: AWD/4wd Vehicles (no 2wd please)
    What: Off-road Trail Ride through the barrens, will be fun for all, we encourage Subarus, Rav4s, CRVs, Isuzus, Highlanders, 4-runners, Santa Fe, Explorers, etc.

****Details****
  • thecpathecpa Member Posts: 16
    My 2000ML gets a rattle from the right rear and its the right rear seatbelt banging on the seat.
    My 320 runs high RPMs also I haven't checked but I guess 75 is 3200 or so too. I think its the greater rolling resistance of the ML and or the engine is cleaner burning at some RPMs. HAPPY TRUCKING!
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Hey guys. I've had my ML for almost a month. Everything seems to be perfect so far. The power is amazing.

One question... have any of you noticed that the power steering seems really tight (hard to turn) in small spaces. Example: when stopped or starting to roll slowly and needing to turn the wheel all of the way left or right... it takes a lot of effort to turn the wheel. Do you think it might be the extra wide tires needing extra effort?

Thanks, Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    Is your tire inflation low? Wider tires do add a little extra effort. There is more tire mass to move.
  • nehoffmannehoffman Member Posts: 3
    Picked my 2000 ML430 up from the dealer today Glad it was MBUSA picking up the $10,460.00 bill to put in a new engine(short block). Service Manager when pressed admitted that they (and MBUSA) were replacing numerous 430 and 320 engines due to what they think are defected piston rings. MBUSA is treating it on a case by case basis.
    Interesting thing is they replaced the pistons and rings with same as coming from the factory...will I have another failure in 24K miles?
    Look out for excessive oil useage!
  • cticctic Member Posts: 291
    Haven't heard of this at all from any of the other members of this board. Anyone else have this?
  • rockypaulrockypaul Member Posts: 104
    Your transmission may not be shifting into fifth gear overdrive if you are at 75 mph and 3200 rpm.
    Mrwhipple: My tire pressure seems fine. The tires on the ML500 are huge. My ML got stuck at the car wash because the tires are so wide and barely fit in the track. I now take it to a hand wash place where there is no track.

Nehoffman: Did you change the oil at the regularly scheduled recommendation from MB? (Meaning... did you wait until the computer told you to change it) On my '00 E430, I changed the oil at 1,500 and 6,500, I have 13,000 on it now. I didn't want to wait so long.

I'm afraid of waiting until 10,000 miles for an oil change on the ML. So far, the oil level seems fine at 2,800 miles.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • cassiricassiri Member Posts: 40
    I think the heavy feeling of the steering is probably normal. It took a little while to get used to just like the fact that it doesn't have a strong "centering" response when you turn also. Some say it's intentional to avoid panic induced rollovers caused by overcompensating. I've found it to be dangerous at times when I'm trying to swerve well within the vehicles handling limits and the steering won't let me. Just be prepared for it I guess.
  • rover96rover96 Member Posts: 33
    As far as that go, open up the centre console cover, remove all the screw holding the storage bin. Now u need a thin tool, screw driver give u real good leverage but will nick the wood. Anyway, put it between the wood panel & the side panel right next to the switches area, pry the side panel away from the wood panel. there are tabs (1 on each side) underneath the wood panel. The whole centre piece will need to come off & the switches assembly has few screw in place.

Hopt this help
    Thanks rockypaul I did make a mis-statement on the 3200 rpm at 75. I am a city driver and took my rpm at 38mph and doubled it to get 3200. I was in 4th at the time! Accurate on my 2000 320ML is 2800 at 75. Sorry for the mispost. HAPPY TRUCKING!
  • djdjdjdj Member Posts: 111
    On the rear hatch rattle.

Like 'thecpa', I noticed that one rattle in the back comes from the seat belt buckle banging around when it hangs at the wrong height. Why its the right side only, I can't figure out.

However, my 2000 ML320 had two other rattles that required MB parts to fix. One was under the rear seat and took an enormous number of parts to fix, and the other was in the rear hatch itself. I either didn't hear that one or confused it with all the noise from the seat. The dealer's shop manager found that on his test drive of the vehicle. That is what they said; on my car they have replaced a lot of parts without my complaints. I think its a preemptive strike on known problem areas.

I would hope MB would have designed the fix for those rattles into the 2002.

The area problem is the flaps on the backs of the rear seats that cover the gaps in the floor when the seats are folded down. My SA and Service Manager both told me MB hasn't come up with a fix to stop that rattle when the car bounces over something.
  • logan1602002logan1602002 Member Posts: 2
    Any information on ML 500/320 purchase price/options/dealers
    in the Boston/New England Area would be greatly appreciated.
    Are the dealers willing to negotiate the price below MSRP?
  • pathdocpathdoc Member Posts: 126
    I can't believe they haven't fixed the rear rattles yet. I have (had) a 99 ML 430 that had the same rattles and it drove me nuts. They would fix them but they would recur in a few months.
    I saw the new ML at the LA auto show and it looked like the only improvement on the rear foot well flaps was the carpeting/padding.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Mercedes muscle ; M-Class SUV freshens styling, adds power

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Pathdoc, sounds like you are assuming the 2002 will rattle. Have you driven one? What did MB determine was the cause of your rattles?

I have had my ML for a month and 2,900 miles and I have no rattles. I ordered the third seat option which I'm very pleased with. I just installed a front bug guard hopefully to detour rocks from hitting the hood and windshield.

Happy Motoring. Mark
    Had my ML for almost a month now and I got 2 issues:
    1. The passenger side rear view mirror won't tilt down even w/ the adjustment control is set to the passenger.
    2. Battery died when my wife left the lights on. I was under the impression that the electrical system was improved that it would go off automatically.

Anyone seen these?
  • gsiokisgsiokis Member Posts: 2
    Anyone out there have any experience with ATL dealers for service and purchase? If so what dealers, pro and cons of each, if you do not mind. Also, what kind of deals is everyone getting on the 2002 ML 320's? Especially the ATL area.

Thanks!
  • pdo90065pdo90065 Member Posts: 6
    I got my '02 ML320 in White/Java w/ the M1, M2, M5, and Bose for $40,031.
  • pathdocpathdoc Member Posts: 126
    My rattles (99 ML430) were from the rear latch as well as the plastic flaps that cover the third row foot space. They never were fixed permanently. I am not assuming the new model will have the same problems but was just responding to someone who had noticed rattles/squeaks in his new ML.
    Got 02 ML 320 M1, M5 Bose, Roof Rack, All Season Floor Mats, Sunroof Visor, Cargo Net for $39,500.
  • bertram60bertram60 Member Posts: 113
    I just received a new set of sp5000's for our ML430. I'll put them on this weekend and give a report. 23k miles on a set of Grandtreks, worn down to indicators with a fair amount of cupping due to bad alignment. I'm hoping these will be quieter and smoother.
  • cassiricassiri Member Posts: 40
    Bertram60,

I am also considering getting the sp5000's so I'd be interested in how you like them vs. Grandtreks. I have a 99ml430 with 40k on mine and they still aren't quite to the wear indicator but have lost much of the wet weather bite. I've been hesitant to purchase the SP's because they are hard to find, expensive and everyone I talk to at the tire shop seems to think they aren't the best tire for an SUV. Probably like you, I'm looking for better street performance, noise and handling rather than offroad ability.
  • mgm9991mgm9991 Member Posts: 3
    I paid $41,000.00 even for an M1, M5, M7 and bose (purchased 12/30/01, 2002 model). A good deal since I had to trade a 99 Suburban, and they were very fair with the trade.
  • jmsintxjmsintx Member Posts: 41
    Does the V8 have a cam belt that requires replacement or a cam chain ? TIA .
    I just filled out a Mercedes survey from the JD Powers survey operation. They even included a dollar bill for the trouble! :o)

I really like my 2002 ML500. The only suggestions I have are:

-Steering wheel controls for the radio would be
    very convenient.
    -Lumbar support for the front seats.
    -Power steering slightly stiff in tight turns.

I also received the "dealership" survey of which I gave glowing reviews. The only small problem was that the "master" service guy didn't know that the cars with bi-xenons have halogen bright lights for when you want to flash an on coming car without the lights on. If the bi-xenons are on, the shutter will open and you can flash with the xenon lights. I was majorly surprised that he didn't know this. Now I know why I had so much trouble with my '91 560 SEL when it was time for a major repair. They could never get the car fixed just right. In my opinion, Mercedes service guys know how to replace parts and can barely diagnose a problem.

M.
  • calsmithcalsmith Member Posts: 5
    I am getting ready to purchase a 99 ML430. I know there have been some reliability/quality issues with some of the 98/99 models. I would like a 2000 or 2001, but the budget wont allow. I just want to get rid of the Blazer I currently have before it falls apart. I figure a 99 ML would be better than any Blazer. Can anyone give me any key things to look for?
    Thanks
  • chitomchitom Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a source for floor mats and other accessories for the ML series? I have a 2002 ML 320 and the front floor mats don't cover as much of the carpet as I would like, so I am trying to find a good alternative. Am also hunting for a liner for the rear area.
    Thanks!!!
    I have spent a lot of time on the boards before and after my purchase. The fuel pump is a major complaint, it just stops. The replacement includes some changes to the fuel lines as well as the pump.(lots of posts) The next item is the window switches which leave you stuck with a window down until fixed.(lots again) The third is a rattle in the right side of the rear seat and the rear door.( a couple) Fourth is wind noise from faulty door seals.(several) Fifth is the dash doesn't settle in properly and leaves you with a loud noise when the dash shifts. (two)

I've got a 2000 320ML with none of the above. Nothing at all in 18 months.(knock on wood)!
    The only one I have is the right rear seat belt rattles when it rewinds and hangs on the outside edge of the seat. The rattles mentioned in the above list were not the belt but required parts to fix. HAPPY TRUCKING!
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    This might be usefull for those of you who are looking for replacment Tires for your ML320.
    The only All-Terrain tire I could find for the size 255/65/16, was the Michelin XPC
    and they where over $130 at www.tirerack.com. I recently found
    a good tire: TOYO OPEN COUNTRY A/T from www.tredepot.com for
    $83. I checked the Toyo web-site and the Tread Patern looks
    good. I will probably get this tire.
  • biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    Mercara, email me if you want an extra set of wheel/rims for your snow tire, so you don't need to take off your all season tire, email me if you are interested and I will send you a picture. Dahon96@aol.com
  • calsmithcalsmith Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the info. I would really like to get a 2000 model and have been searching. I have found a 2000 ML430, it just has more miles than I wanted for that year, but the price is right. It has 48,800 miles, mostly highway. I figure I can get any issues addressed in the next month or so, and purchase an extended warranty to take care of anything else. Anyone have any comments on buying one with that miles in 2 years?
    Thanks again
  • biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    IMHO, don't buy it, even all those miles is mostly hiway, that ML is consider 4 years old any thing lower that 30K miles should be OK with dealer record for maintenance. that's My .02 cents.
  • akin67akin67 Member Posts: 62
    I have a 2000 ML 430 with about 17,000 miles on it. At my last service visit at around 11,000 miles the service rep told me that I needed new rear brakes. He also indicated that I will probably need new front brakes at the next service appointment.

I just scheduled a new service appointment with a different dealer and he was asking me what I had done on the car, service wise, I told him that I had the rear brakes changed. He was very surprised, especially considering the mileage. He asked me if the brake change indicator had gone off on the dash. It had not. I didnt even know there was such an indicator. He said that that was very unusual and that the rear brakes should last about 35,000 - 40,000 miles.

I live in central NJ suburbs and most of my driving is highway driving.

Has anyone else experienced this? I feel either something was defective with the vehicle or that I got screwed by that dealer.

I am thinking about writing a letter to the dealer and/or MBUSA and asking for a refund. If it was due to some defect it should have been covered under warranty and if the dealer screwed me they should refund my fee anyway.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Please post when you changed the brakes on your M class and how you would characterize your driving habits nand what part of the country you live in.

Thanks
  • cielciel Member Posts: 2
    I just had the same thing happen to me yesterday with regards to my brakes on the ML 430 - 18K miles on it! They say I have only 10% left on the rear ones! I really think that they are faulty.

I have never replaced any brakes this early. They replaced the front ones free of charge, "as a courtesy", because they haven't stopped squealing since the day I bought it!(it has been in over four times for this problem and they already changed them too about 4k ago)

I have decided that since this car is in the shop more than on the road and since they expect that I will be changing the brakes every 15-20K, I am much better off selling it now.

Most concerning - when all the BAS/ and other brake lights going off while driving on the freeway far from home. They say that the indicator lights are just inadvertently going off.

Due to this poor experience, of saving pennies to buy what was supposed to be a great car, I will never buy another Mercedes again! but good luck to you!
  • akin67akin67 Member Posts: 62
    11,000 miles is really early for changing rear brakes. Assuming they really needed replacing, there must have been someting wrong that caused them to wear down so quickly. In daily use I didn't smell the brakes burning or anything.

And as I have stated earlier the service rep was particullarly surprised at the rear brakes wearing down. Apparently usually the front brakes wear down much sooner than rear brakes.

Also, the rear hatch lock does not lock with the automatic lock switch or the remote unless I open up the hatch and manually lock it. This is annoying since whenever you stop the car and turn off the ignition all of the locks automatically unlock including the hatch. I then have to go and manually lock it each time. I will have this fixed as well.
  • tomhocktomhock Member Posts: 6
    This is a copy of a posting I made to another list on 10-29-'01:

I read so often of poor brake pad wear life on the M-Class. I just inspected my pads with 39,550 miles on my 1998 ML-320 and the front pads are 0.263" thick and the rears are 0.308" thick. New pads are 0.383" thick, and the allowable minimum wear is 0.120". This calculates to my brake wear being 40% for the front and 30% for the rear. If the wear was linear it would mean I could expect to reach almost 100,000 miles before the front pads require replacement, and 138,000 miles for the rears. I don't expect this since the rotor surfaces are no longer perfectly smooth, and the wear rate should increase somewhat.

My driving is mostly highway, with few hills, except for the two trips to California across the Rockies. Also, I'm a conservative driver and usually get excellent brake and tire life.
  • cielciel Member Posts: 2
    Tomhock - TWO separate MB service managers stated to me specifically just yesterday that they are replacing brakes in these cars as early as 10K. Most are making it to 20K.

How did you manage to measure brake pad width? And what do you make of all the brake noise and dirt that they give off? What about the BAS lights going off - separate system I realize but still related to turning & braking....

AKIN67 - I never had a door latch problem but beware - my GPS died on two separate occasions (faulty) And check the trim around the two front doors - it may start to buckle (defective).
  • tomhocktomhock Member Posts: 6
    ciel: I measured the brake pad thickness the last time I rotated the tires. I used a dial calipers with a depth measuring rod. Using the depth measuring feature it was easy to determine the thickness of the pad material without removing any brake components. This probibly isn't clear, but if you remove a wheel and just look at the pads you can get a very good feel for the material remaining on the pads. I looked at a set of new pads, that I purchased in anticipation of needing them after reading all the reports of early replacements, and measured the pad material that would remain once the wear indicator was contacted. This "minimum" allowable pad thickness is 0.120 inches(on the set I measured). Keep in mind that when this point is reached it is just a reminder that your brake pads will need replacing soon. They still have 30% of the new pad thickness, and thousands of miles of use remaining once the "Brake pads" dash light comes on.
    On my vehicle I never had any brake noise. My brakes have always been smooth and quiet. The brake dust is another problem I guess we all have. I spot clean the wheels with a paper towel and WD-40 when it bothers me and I'm going someplace where I want it to look good.
    Regarding the "BSA" lights. I don't know what that is. I have no indication while driving that my ABS is malfunctioning, and the ETS warning light only flashes (very infrequently) when I drive on snow covered Wisconsin roads.
  • wnielwniel Member Posts: 97
    I have a 1998 ML and now have 51K on it and have replaced the front pads at about 30K and the back pads haven't been replaced at this time. However, I'm expecting that they will need replacing in the not too distant future. One can look through the opening of the wheels with a flash light and see the pads and get an estimation on the amount of wear left in the pads. My truck gets a mixed amount of highway and town driving but do not drive too aggressively requiring heavy braking.
    Wally
  • pooliopoolio Member Posts: 18
    I would like to know if enyone has ever attached the ML wing on the back of there Benz,if it would obstruct the opening of the rear door if you had the ML phone antenna.
  • roger23roger23 Member Posts: 48
    I have the rear wing (roof mounted spoiler) on my 2002 ML500, and it does not impede the rear hatch opening or the roof antenna in any way.
    Roger23.... how do you compare your 2002 with the 2000 ML that you had?

M.
  • roger23roger23 Member Posts: 48
    Having had both, I can honestly say that my 2000 ml was a significant improvement over my 1998 ml320,and the new 2002 takes a similar leap in terms of fit and finish, new technology, and driver/owner satisfaction.
  • pooliopoolio Member Posts: 18
    Thanks Roger23.I'm really considering getting the ML wing now.Might help keep some of the dirt off the back window