Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• dt77dt77 Member Posts: 232
    I get no more than 12 mpg in city driving. I tend to push the ml so the numbers I get are pretty low. On highway, it's definetly much better. I took a road trip in the summer and just below the 60mph limit in some parts, (i was forced to after getting a damn speeding ticket at the beginning of the trip), I think got something like 19 mpg.

dt77
    ml430 7k +
    http://fullspeed.to/ml
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    Mike:
    I drive similarly in the city (but don't downshift) and try to coast as much as possible. It's hard to use smooth acceleration in Boston...everyone seems to be impatient around here. :-P
    I've been using the trip computer for estimates and I've heard it's a bit conservative in its numbers.

dt77:
    Your mileage seems right for a ML430.
  • rich96rich96 Member Posts: 37
    Anybody know where I can get a Presentation Guide for the M-class? This is what salesmen are given to learn about the car in order to teach potential buyers about the features. Much more detailed than a brochure. There's one listed on e-bay, but that's for the 1999 M-class. I don't know if this is something a dealer would sell.
  • scott902scott902 Member Posts: 46
    For those on the fence of an SUV see the carpoint reviews.

ML rated number One :)http://carpoint.msn.com/Browse/win_4019327.asp
  • msotomsoto Member Posts: 2
    To you recent MDX owners, did you happen to compare it with the Lexus RX300 and/or Acura MDX? If so, what are your thoughts? Thanks o' bunch.
    msoto:
    I didn't want to post this during the holidays, but have a look at the results of an RX300 rollover.
  • nikorrnikorr Member Posts: 23
    sorry , that is a mystake MARCEL
  • waldsteinwaldstein Member Posts: 4
    As recommended by many of you, I am planning to have the oil in my 2000 ML320 changed to Mobil 1 when the mileage reaches 5000 tomorrow. Also as recommended, I want to buy the oil myself at a discount store to save money. The local Trak Auto store has on the shelf two grades of Mobil 1, 5W40 and 10W40. A service rep at the dealership, Euromotor Cars in Bethesda, MD (near Washington DC) says that their shop uses 15W40. To make things more confusing, the brochure on Mobil 1 oil from Mobil shows photos of only 0W40. The Mercedes booklet on factory-approved service products has a table showing that the lower temperature limits of 15W40, 10W40, 5W40, and 0W40 oil (in general) are +5, +4, -13, and -13 and below, degrees F, respectively. It would seem to me that 5W40 would be a better choice than 10W40 or 15W40. What grade of Mobil 1 are you folks out there using?

This may have been discussed in earlier times on this M-class newsgroup, but it appears that the parts before part 19 are no longer accessible on line. Is that true?
  • sydney6sydney6 Member Posts: 64
    My '00ML320 gets about 17 in city and I have seen as much as 23 on the freeway (cruising at nearly 80MPH. Like Mike, I go easy on starts (mostly), and don't race up to wait at a red light, but I do drive fast when I can do so safely.

Mike, I don't think it's a good idea to shift down when coming to a stop. Your transmission and drivetrain are rather complex pieces of machinery, and downshifting and allowing the engine to brake the heavy vehicle puts unnessessary strain on its components. You will wear your brakes faster, but they are much cheaper and easier to repair/replace.

Just my two-cents worth....
  • nikorrnikorr Member Posts: 23
    sorry , that is a mystake MARCEL
    waldstein:
    Have a browse through the M-Class Mailing List Archives.
    I like the 5W50, but it's only sold in Europe and Canada :-P
    In the Boston area a 5W or 0W is better than a 10W because of our cold winters.
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    Has anyone replaced their stock center caps with the blue and silver mercedes center caps, as seen on the slk wheels? They also make a black and silver center cap, somewhere in the 2001 ML brochure, I think on the ML55 page I saw it. They list for $17.00 each, Clair sells them for $14.00 each. Unfortunately, you have to pull the wheel to install them. Anyone offhand know the torque of the wheel lugs?
  • pooliopoolio Member Posts: 18
    Hi
    I have a ML 320 ,Changed the oil at 5000 mi.
    Put Mobil 1 10-30 and have had no problems .
    I live in PA and the winters are pretty bad,Guess it all depends on where you live and how severe the winters are.
  • odette01odette01 Member Posts: 2
    i enjoy reading the postings so much..that i take notes of the tips that you guys gave..(i usually don't take notes at a meeting..just wait for somebody to email the recap)
    anyway, i'll be picking up my 01 ml320 tomorrow.. and i'm so excited. this is my first mb.. (my dad is an mb fanatic.. he never let me drive his cars though..)
    the thing is.. it's just started snowing again today.. can't mother nature wait till tomorrow?? =)
    well.. i'm hoping to get some knowledge from you all.. it's good to have second opinion...
    thanks much...
  • bob259bob259 Member Posts: 280
    I live in upstate NY and use Mobil 1 5w30 in the MB and 10w30 in our Volvo. The Volvo with the Turbo calls for the 10w30.
  • parfive1parfive1 Member Posts: 75
    OK all you wizards and MB experts.
    Was asked a question the other day by someone and I didn't have the faintest idea what the answer was.
    Do the letter designations on the different MB's have any special meaning? E class, S class, ML, SLK,etc. It's obvious what 320, 430, & 55 means.
  • beetlebug62beetlebug62 Member Posts: 72
    ...think coaxial...
  • beetlebug62beetlebug62 Member Posts: 72
    ...if you're thinking of putting in Mobil1, as far as I can tell, virtually, all of the viscosities have been recommended by knowledgeable sources. High performance engines use heavier viscosities like 15-50. Some consider Mercedes engines high-performance, and thus use 15-50. Others live in cold-weather country and recommend 0w-30. Of course, Mobil1's 0w flows at minus 62 fahrenheit, but before you write off 5w, or 10w, or 15w, note that Mobil1's 15w is rated to flow at something like minus 39 fahrenheit. Is that good enough protection for you? Others note that oil mfrs use viscosity enhancers to extend the viscosity range, thus a wider viscosity range means more enhancers, less oil. Those people recommend using the narrowest viscosity range. Having read all of those arguments, I honestly believe, you can't go wrong with any of Mobil1's offerings. Personally, I use 10w-30.
  • biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    HEY STEVAL, It happened on mine too.. I have 11,200 miles and while I'm driving to work suddenly that amber light flash on my eye, its kind a scary at first then when I get home I read the manual and said if your battery went down to 10 volt it will comes on, but my battery is fine then I called my dealer and I have an appointment next week as well as my first oil change. The funny thing was they can not change the oil not until your FSS mileage reach below 1000 mile that was the service people told me, Since the MB will pay for it.. they set that policy. I end up driving my ML everyday to work to burn out a couple more hundred miles before my apt.
  • macbestmacbest Member Posts: 55
    There is also two speakers on the outboard portion of the front seats (next to the electric seat adjustment.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    FYI, the ML's adaptive transmission will downshift and hold the gear to provide some engine braking when going down hills anyway. When coming down my hill, I leave it in 3rd or 4th gear and only touch the brakes when necessary to maintain a somewhat constant speed. Considering that MB designed the transmission for off-road (Low range + 1st gear) use, I don't think it will really hurt it. FWIW, at stoplights longer than 15-20 seconds, I shift into neutral and apply the parking brake.
  • mikestaleymikestaley Member Posts: 35
    Waldstein: This is for you, borrowed from another ML group.

The following viscosities are listed for any temperature:
    0W30, 5W30, 0W40, 5W40, 5W50.

Above minus 4 degrees Fahrenheit: 10W30, 10W40, 10W50, 10W60.

Above 5 degrees Fahrenheit: 15W40, 15W50.

Above 23 degrees Fahrenheit: 20W40 and 20W50.

It says: "Select oil viscosity according to the lowest air temperature
    expected before the next oil change is due."

This is valid for all Mercedes in North America, by the way.

Choose to your liking :-)
    - --
    Wolf gang Henke
    http://www.whnet.com/4x4

I use Amsoil 0-30 and have been advised that I should think of it as a straight 30 weight oil.

Yet I can not go for more than 15K on an oil change, it just isn't in me to allow this modern technology sink in, if I were using dino oil, I would change it every 3K like I do in every other vehicle.

Sydney6: Thanks for the heads up for the shifting/wear - I thought our transmission was built for that, thus the touch-o-matic shifting.

You are correct, brakes are < transmissions, If there was not a seal on that I would transfer the tranny oil to synthetic also, I changed the gear oil to synthetic.

In Maitland (Orlando FL) there are half a dozen 00 ML320's available.
  • mikestaleymikestaley Member Posts: 35
    Congratulations on the new Ride!

Relish in the opportunity to use your vehicle in the snow, feeling safe with the opportunity to help stranded people on the road you have to yourself!

Mike
  • bon2000bon2000 Member Posts: 26
    Happy Holidays to All! Love reading your messages to each other--great entertainment and lots of new knowledge for me too!!! The ML in post 575 has a front Brush bar or something that looks like it is made from fiberglass or something as was painted to match black ML with two fog lights on it. Who makes that front bumper push bar or brush bar (whatever it is called) and where can it be gotten from in the us...Mercedes direct or claire's or who, who makes the fog lights on it and who would install this and anyone know the price. It is the nicest front bar I have ever seen--all others appear to be chrome or aluminum bars and this looks really custom. I love it. Please write back on forum or e-mail me at BEBEBOn 2000@cs.com. Thanks all for all your help. PS ordered my color coordinated running boards and fender flares from mb the other day and hubby got me mb's all weather mats with dead foot spot incvluded in the mat. Love it.....please help with info on custom push bar in #575. Thanks all. bon
    bon2000:
    It's a Manik. www.manik.com
    Clair used to sell it. Lots of other places do as well.
    Hella and PIAA make fog lights that fit on it.
  • mlx52mlx52 Member Posts: 72
    I just saw the Primetime segment on rollovers and found it to be very interesting. However it made me think that ESP can not prevent all types of rollovers, such as ones that can occur when you take a corner much to quickly when the vehicle&#146;s wheels don&#146;t skid. And I began to think that if Mercedes included or offered their ABC technology, in conjunction with ESP there would be no chance that an M-Class could or would roll over. Does anyone know if Mercedes has plans to include this as an option?

Jamie
    With reference to my previous posting today (#607) and replies to it (particularly #617 and #621), I have found technical specs of various grades of Mobil 1 synthetic oil on the Mobil 1 Web site at http://www.mobil1.com/. One can find there data on specific gravity, pour point, flash point, viscosity, and pumpability (pumping) temperature limit. Data for the last variable are as follows:
    0W-30: -62 degrees F
    5W-30: -58 degrees F
    10W-30: -49 degrees F
    15W-50: -38 degrees F
    These numbers are much lower than the limits for conventional oils listed here previously by myself and Mike Staley. These data as well as the flash points and viscosities tend to confirm beetlebug62's point that any of the grades would seem to be satisfactory in all but the coldest climates. I'll get more perspective from the MB dealership's service staff tomorrow.
  • angelboingangelboing Member Posts: 16
    Sorry everyone, the spell checked changed everything before I could catch it!-

S = Super
    E = Executive
    C = Compact
    SL = Sport Licht (sport light?)
    SLK = Sport Licht Kurz (sport light short?)
    CL = Coupe Luxury
    CLK = Coupe Luxury Kurz (short again?)
    ML = Multi-Purpose Luxury (I heard they added the "L" so as not to confuse the M-Class with BMW's "M" Motorsports division. That's why it's officially called the "M-Class," not the "ML-Class." At least they didn't call it the AAV320.)
    Does anyone know why the M-Class does not use the SmartKey that the other, newer, classes have? Is it because they developed it too late? I thought the CLK (which has the SmartKey) was out around the same time, within 1 year or so.....

-Angel
    If one is willing to pay the one-time $1,000.00 special order charge, will M-B make an M-Class in Magma Red, Sunburst Yellow or Slate Blue? I thought getting exactly what you want ("for a reasonable charge") is part of the "Mercedes Experience." And no, I'm not talking about the Nasty Green designo color either.

-Angel
  • maabmaab Member Posts: 41
    I thought E stands for Elegance (sp?) and C stands for Classic.
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    Definitions, Working

S-Class-Super Class

E-Class-Executive Class

C-Class-Compact Class

CL-Coupe, Luxury

CLK-Coupe, Luxury, Short (Kurz)

SL-Sports, Luxury

SLK-Sports, Luxury, Short (Kurz)

Kompressor-Supercharger. This refers to the engine, not the car. The 2.3 liter engine has a neat Eaton Supercharger which adds 40 hp or so without the problems of turbochargers. No Mercedes-Benz gasoline production car engine has ever had a turbocharger to my knowledge and probably won't. No Mercedes is named Kompressor. Calls for Kompressors should be referred to the parts department, but instead all of us will start talking about an SLK230 or C230.

The numbers refer to the engine size: 2.3 liters = 230, 3.2 liters = 320, 4.3 liters = 430, 5 liters = 500. Just to confuse things the new C240 will have a 2.6 liter engine. This follows the trend started with the 190E, which never had a 1.9 liter engine in this country.
  • larryh986larryh986 Member Posts: 1
    I just bring in my 99 ml320 for service today. I was told by the service manager that front brake pad need to be replaced. I was surprise by the fact that they need to be replace so soon at 21K miles.
    I know wear also depend on driving habit but most of driving are mix between freeway and local. No bumper to bumper traffic driving and no mountain down hill driving either.
    Any one experiences brake pad replacement so early?
  • rich96rich96 Member Posts: 37
    What grade of oil is put into the M-class at the factory? It was probably said before, but I missed it.

Also, I just found out that my right brake light no longer works. Wierd, since the car is only one month old. Guess I need to make a trip to the local Pep Boys store.
    Jamie:
    ABC won't matter when you're sliding sideways; it's just to control some body roll. The ML55 has pretty stick tires and it doesn't roll when you powerslide it...i.e., most tires will slide. If you hit a curb while sliding sideways, you're hosed...

Larry:
    Earliest I've heard is 15Kmi w/ lots of city driving. The ML's pads are softer than most; makes stopping better, but wears out quickly and leaves lots of brake dust. The new ones are supposed to be harder.
    With reference to my previous postings #607 and #626, I took my 2000 ML320 for elective oil change today and left the choice of Mobil 1 grade up to them. They put in 10W30. (The service rep was wrong in initially stating that they use 15W40.)
  • rover96rover96 Member Posts: 33
    I just bought a fully loaded 98 ml320 (42K mi, april/98 mfg date) . the original owner (for some reason) never has the spare remote & key activated. Is there any easy way to activate it without taking it to the dealer.
    Thanks in advance!!
    The service tech changing the oil today on my 8-month old ML320 discovered evidence of rodent damage on two small-diameter rubber hoses connected to the coolant expansion tank. Rodents had, in fact, gnawed away at the rubber to expose the fibers of the hose inside. I have been aware of rodents breaking into lawn fertilizer bags in our garage, but we have never had a problem with them eating automobile rubber hoses, but this is our first German car. It's hard to believe that rodents would find rubber edible, although perhaps some coolant had spilled on these hoses and the coolant was what they found appetizing. Anyone else had this problem?
    Before I upgraded my oil to MObil 1 5w30, I called almost every dealer I could get a hold of. Most put Penezoil in all their MB cars during flexi services. Very few if not none said they actually put mobil 1. Also, in cali, it doens't get that cold so many dealers recommended 15-50. But I went ahead and did 5w30. man, now i forget, it might have been 10w30 =)man, at such a young age, my memory if failing already...=(

my bought ML in for brake squeal and they apparently replaced front brake pads and rotors under warranty . I think he might even have slipped in seomthing about uneven brake wear ? but sometimes, i'm not entirely confident my service advisor knows what he's talking about sometimes..i dunno..hehe..ML430 has about 7300 miles.

dt77
    I don't use it that much. I"m normally on D and i just let the ML automatically shift. But on curvy uphill and downhill roads like big bear mountain, I like to use the shift manual. Gives me the speed and power whenever I demand it.

there's acutally an interesting feature which is stated in the manual where say for instance you are cruising on D on a straight road. FOr some reason, you want to pull ahead. You can nudge your gear shift left and leave it in the left position for a second. If you were travelling at say 45mph ? the ML will automatically shift down to the gear it was engaged in automatic D. So at this particular speed, I think the ML gear indicator would jump to 2 immeadiately. At this point, you should get the power you want pretty fast and if it's not quite enough, nudge left and realease quick and for sure, you'll get your pull.
    but down shifting to a low gear and really high speeds will not only cause you to jerk violently, yer gonna burn some rubber and spoil the transmission.

dt77
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344

Bon2000, the pushbar shown in post 575 is listed on this page on A.R.T Tuning's website. Ken, I couldn't find it at Manik's, therefore I assume it's an A.R.T exclusive with its stainless steel insert on top.

Here you see it with regular halogen high beams (impossible to tell),

this is the version with xenons. Note that the headlights are a xenon conversion, too.

As to whether their products are available in the US, you will need to e-mail them, but keep in mind that those lazy ( ;-> ) Germans are most likely on vacation until January 8, 2001.

Tarik

• kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    that's a real good looking front guard.
  • pablo_lpablo_l Member Posts: 491
    Mercedes has used turbochargers - for sure, at least, in their diesels. The Mercedes Turbodiesels are very popular all over Europe.
    Thanks, Tarik.
    I thought she was referring to another pic by Lez.
    It is a nice brushguard, but it looks like the license plate covers the vent area up front? I'm not sure what the durability is when parallel parking :-)
    That piece of info was referring to a "gasoline production car engine" . We had a 300CD back in teh day, I beleive in 79-80. MAn that was a great car. We had two tanks in there.

Robert
    I forgot to give Curt Rich the credit for that information on the Letter designation.

rboert
  • bob259bob259 Member Posts: 280
    Drew, I scanned & e-Mailed those sheets to you today on the Porsche 996 HL upgrade. I think I may have saved them in the wrong format though when I scanned them so let me know if you can't print them.

Robert: Thanks for the input on the ML55 HL's, I think I'm going to make the swap real soon.
  • noelb1noelb1 Member Posts: 19
    SYDNEY6, how many miles do you have on your ml? Getting about 17 in city and as much as 23 on the freeway (cruising at nearly 80MPH, I think is very good. My ml with 1100 miles does about 13.3 mpg in suburb driving in =<32'F weather. Haven't got a chance to take it on highway yet.
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    Ken,

This piece of equipment will definitely not help in avoiding scratches and such when parallel parking! BTW, they offer a similar "thing" to attach to the rear bumper, it looks kind of cool.

On another note, six weeks ago I saw my first X5 in downtown traffic in my German hometown. Man, it looked like a three story building was trying to make its way through the streets. Inmidst of those mid-size cars, typical for Europe, an SUV/SAV/S-whatever-V stands out like a sore thumb. Thus, driving such a vehicle will intimidate everyone around you in a way that they will try to park their cars at the opposite end of town anyway - hence no scratch problem :-)

Tarik
  • rwharcharwharcha Member Posts: 19
    Lots of fun. Hope more participate