Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• procterprocter Member Posts: 19
    91 Octane min. Doesn't matter how you get it. Could be Reg. w/ octane inhancer but simpler to just buy what the pump says is the posted octane. Lower octane will cause pre-ignition and valve damage.
    Mine - 1999 ML 320 - 25K mi.
    Great traction system.
    Lots of rattles.
    Great off road and on snow/ice. Never driven better, though I would rather have more control.
    Two coolant leaks.
    Radio antenna bad - replace rear window twice.
    Don't ever expect the dealer to have a part -- you'll have to go back to get it fixed.
    High warranty maintenance cost. Second reg. Maintenance $500K. Mercd. will not sell me a manual so I can do my own!!!!!!
    How about the same creature comforts that came on the 1994 Mercury Sable.

Cruise control on the steering wheel that does not interfere with the turn signal.
    Auto on-off lights with variable "On" after ignition off, so you can get to your house front door with light.
    Key pad drivers side door entry so if you lock a key inside you can still enter the car.
    Smaller key.
    Cup holders that you don't hit getting in and out.
    Adjustable variable timing on windshield wipers.
    Completely switchable dash cluster between metric and English.
    Trip computer integrated with dash cluster.
    Sun visor that overs both the side window and the windshield (including the corner) at the same time.
    Climate control (available on post 2001 Mercedes models). Does it work? The Mercury certainly does.
    No rattles.
    Trunk net bags so groceries don't roll around.
    Adjustable lumbar air bag support.

These are other things I've seen and like:
    Separate rear seat climate adjustment.
    Back seats that go down as easy as on the GMC Jimmy.
    Two driver complete memory of seats and mirrors at the push of the button as on the Jimmy.
    Right side rear view mirror that "looks down" to help see the curb when parking.

This is the most important.
    I've tied to get a maintenance manual for this car to do some of my own maintenance. These people refuse to sell me one, even on CD which they say is the only way it is published.
    What size new tires? I want to go bigger on the '99 17 in. rims. Any help?
  • john_168john_168 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 ML320. Few days ago, I broke the mirror frame (the black plastic part surrounding the mirror) on the passenger side view mirror when I tried to back my truck from the garage. The part itself only costs $26 and try to replace it by myself. However when I attemp to remove the mirror frame, the mirror (the glass part) is preventing me doing it. Does anyone know how to remove the mirror from its housing ?
    Thanks.
  • orlandorland Member Posts: 9
    The 2002 ML addresses several items of your wish list:
    Auto on-off lights with variable "On" after ignition off.
    There is a "large" cupholder in the center console in addition to the two under the side vents from previous years.
    The variable wipers "automatically adjust" as the vehicle velocity increases--I prefer manual adjustment.
    Automatic climate control with rear vents and adjustments.
    Cargo nets are available at additional cost from them dealer.
    Available as part of the M2 package are memory seats/mirrors and a tilt-down right mirror in reverse.
    All four windows now have an auto down/up feature.

I happen to prefer the cruise control lever on the ML over one in the steering wheel because it is always in the same location. I do wish it had a cruise control light for when it is engaged. I also wished it had a warning light for when a door is not properly closed.

Each manufacturer has certain design preferences and no one makes a "perfect" car. Mercedes does charge exorbitant amounts for convenience features that American and Asian manufacturers include as standard equipment, such as a CD player. On the other hand, Mercedes vehicles usually have extensive safety and performance features that are often not available from other manufacturers, such as side and curtain airbags, ESP, Brake Assist, roofs that do not collapse on a rollover, etc.

It depends on how much you can (or are willing to) pay and on your priorities.
  • bon_bonbon_bon Member Posts: 20
    OK I went to the Merc Dealer for the first time near Boston, in Sommerville. Just wanted a few things done on the ML 500 so made the effort of going to them. This is how they treat a customer with $54K car.
    1) First Shock, they do not give Loaner cars. Instead they offer limo service in which first you have to wait in line with 5 other persons. Then the driver asks all of them to hop in, and starts dropping them one by one. I could not believe this was happing to me. I talked to the manager and he said they allow their loaner cars to be rented by Thrifty (which BTW is in the same building) and if the Service department/Sales department decides to give a loaner car to the customer, the department is charged around $37 perday. I am really pissed about this. This was despite the fact that I had over $1000 worth of additional equipment being installed. Later I felt that I should have asked about the loaner car, but being a previous lexus owner, I kinda assumed that when you give a car for a day's worth of work, they give you a loaner.

2) Second Shock, when I reached in the evening (my wife picked me up 'as the limousine would not show up in time, how predictable) I found that the car was not washed and one of the few things that I had asked was not done either. The service agent was gone for the day and the boys who were delievering the car had no idea and asked me to call back the next day. I just did not waste any more time and came back.

3) Third Shock, there was no juice, soft drink in the waiting lounge. There was a broken coffe machine with no creamer. No food either. Not that I went there to stuff myself but this is totally unheard of.

Is there someplace I can complain with Mercedes ? Are all dealers in Massachusetts like this or is this one an exception ? Any comments from fellow Merc owners would be very helpful. I surely won't go there anymore, would try the other one somewhere on route 1, its far from my place though. And finally I thanked myself that I did not buy the car from a dealer in Massachusetts, not only I saved a lot of money, I also got excellent service. I think Mercedes should send their staff to Lexus dealership to learn something.
    Yes, the ML is probably safer than the 1994 Sable. However the ABS on the Sable is very good. And the most important part of the safety equation is the driver.

But .....

The 1994 Sable cost $20K out the door in 1994. It has more creature features by far than even the M2, ML 2002, and at sticker price.
    The dealer service was about the same except it cost less. I just paid $500 for Service B on the ML!!!! I've had as many visits back for warranty as with the car that cost 1/2.

The ML rattles really annoy me. The car cost nearly twice as much. The Sable is quitter even after 8 years.

Another feature for the ML that I would like is on demand locking differentials, and transfer case. Dia-Christler offer it on a $65K back county monster that ordinary people would not want. (see my earlier posting on traction). Toyota 4-runners offer locking differentials as an option.

I've concluded you buy a Mercedes ML for the traction system, and to get coffee in the lobby. (see the posting above this one.)
    My wife did the same thing on a telephone pole. I could tell you how to fix it except MB will not sell the maintenance manual for the car. See my wish list above. Good luck!

Add to the wish list:
    A folding mirror that collapses both ways. (probably not a big item for most!)
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    My headlights on my 2002 ML500 were too high. I had people flashing me at night (with their headlights that is!) The dealer said they had a new machine that could adjust them. Ever since I had it done, I've not been flashed.

I've got 5,400 miles now and I'm very pleased so far. No rattles, excellent power... gas mileage is 11.5 city, 18 highway. With 288hp... how can anyone complain. The third seat works excellent when needed. I would like to see controls on the steering wheel for the radio volume, etc.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • intl1intl1 Member Posts: 1
    Yes, that dealer is indeed lousy. The best dealer I found in the area is Viti Motors in Tiverton, RI. We live in Boston and have had a fantastic experience with them. Once you schedule an appointment for service, they will come to Boston, drop off a loaner car and bring your car in for service. They will then drop off your car and pick up the loaner car. It put on an additional 60 miles on the car for each service but is well worth it. Hope that helps.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    This is how they treat a customer with $54K car.

How quaintly egalitarian!

Just kidding, folks! Some of my best friends are from Boston!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • nbownbow Member Posts: 5
    There is a Range Rover launch event in Chicago on Monday May 20th at the Museum of Contemporary Art. You'll be able to drive the New Range Rover. Call 1-877-480-8546 to RSVP for the event.
  • dave68dave68 Member Posts: 16
    My wife's 99 ML320 is making very loud squeaks coming from the rear shocks. Dealer says there is nothing wrong with them, but the only way to fix the squeak is to replace shocks...$900. We live on a brick street and it sounds like a old jalopy driving down the road. Driving me nuts to the point I can't stand driving it. Also, we are having occational times where it is reving hard while in park.....like 4000 RPMs. When you put it in drive it goes back to normal. Dealer said diagnostics are not showing any problem. Anyone else having either of these problems? We have 58,000 miles on the vehicle.
  • audis4meaudis4me Member Posts: 5
    I am considering purchasing an ML-320 sometime this year. I am currently driving a Audi S4 which drives and handles great, however, its small size is a disadvantage. I've never owned a large vehicle, so the vehicle size was not an issue for me when I bought it. But something happened a few months ago that has given me pause to reconsider my choice in automobile. I was the victim of a low speed rear end collision in stop and go traffic. Did about $800 bumper damage which was repaired. But even the low speed impact was quite a jolt. My back was sore for about 2 weeks. I began to think about what a high speed collision would have been like and that mass and size do count in that case. Although I really like my Audi, I have the feeling that I would be safer in an SUV. There are a lot of SUVs on the road and I know that if I were to be involved in an accident with one, my car would lose. I am considering the M-Class because of Mercedes reputation for safety.
    Does the M-Class handle well? (It is important to avoid accidents as well) Is it unibody yet?
    Do you think that my accident concern is valid or am I just being overly paranoid right now ?
    What is the gas consumption. I currently average about 21mpg.
    Should I wait for a 2003 or get a deal on a 2002.
    What's new with the 2003?

I appreciate your input.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Since the M-class was "refreshed" for 2002, the 2003 changes probably won't be major. Probably just some small, incremental changes. Late in the model year, you'll probably find MB incentives, as well as dealers selling close to invoice.

The M-class does handle well for an SUV -- not as sharp as an X5, but still well. That said, it's not going to handle like your S4! But you should get a lot of safety with it. A lot of SUV-bashers miss the basic fact that vehicles like the M-class offer more safety than a station wagon and sedan. A side impact is going to be distributed much lower relative to the body, which is why most mid-sized or larger SUV's get 5 stars for side impacts without side airbags (though the M-class has airbags galore).

The next generation of the M-class (due in 2004, supposedly) is going to be unibody.
    I agree with William's comments above.

The ML handles quite well for an SUV. At the Mercedes Power Drive last week in Las Vegas during INTEROP, I drove an ML-500 much harder than my 2002 ML-320 and I found the modest side bolsters on the driver's seat to be the limiting factor--I slid on the seat more than the ML leaned on the hard turns. The ride on the highway is very comfortable, but it is a bit bouncy at slow speeds.

Part of the reason I purchased the ML is its extensive active and safety features as well as its size. I have been hit twice while stopped in traffic in my Honda Accord (the damage was $8,000 the first time and $3,500 the second time). Mercedes used to be the only manufacturer whose seats did not collapse when hit in the rear at 35 m.p.h.--I do not know if this is true for the ML. Also, based on actual rollovers, the ML's roof does not collapse, as it unfortunately does for too many SUVs.

The past model years there have been incentives to the dealers, but not directly to the consumer, of about $1,500 a couple of months before the new model is introduced. I would definitely purchase the 2002 with a discount over the 2003, which should not have many changes. The one option that I would strongly recommend is the xenon headlights. These headlights are superb and include head lamp washers--a nice bonus in the winter. If you do decide to get the xenon headlights, be aware that fewer than 5% of the MLs come with this option.

Good luck in your vehicle selection.

Orlando
    I am trying to get mudguards from the dealer and have been waiting, well, since December of 2001. Why are these not available yet?

Anyone else trying to get mudguards and are waiting?

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    The 2002 mudguards are available, however, there are no installation instructions and no parts list is available from Mercedes. It took the parts department salesman about 30 minutes to get all of the parts together. Below is a detailed list of what I received:

Front Mudflap, #163-890-07-78 (1 @ $22) $22.00
    Front Mudflap, #163-890-08-78 (1 @ $22) $22.00
    Rear Mudflap, #163-890-13-78 (1 @ $40) $40.00
    Rear Mudflap, #163-890-14-78 (1 @ $40) $40.00
    Lock Plate, #004-994-45-45 (4 @ $2.10) $ 8.40
    Above Replaced part #129-994-08-45
    Brace/Bracket?, #163-899-01-14 (2 @ $2.70) $ 5.40
    Clip, #163-988-02-78 (10 @ $4.32) $43.20
    Clip, #163-988-03-78 (4 @ $3.24) $12.96
    Rivet, #201-990-02-92-9051 (2 @ $2.10) $ 4.20
    Sheetmetal Screw, #914127-004229 (18@$2.10) $37.80
    Sales Tax (8.25%) $19.47

Total $255.43

A person on another board said that 2 additional clips are necessary from what I received. I have not had time to install them yet.

Peter Schneider (another board) has compiled instructions on how to install them. My dealer (Autobahn Motors, Bay Area) wanted about $180 to install them.
    Orland, thank you for the info.

Mark
    Hey guys, I just noticed that my windshield reservoir is leaking. When I called my service writer, he said that he has had several with this problem and that it would take less than and hour to fix. Just wondering if anyone else had this experience.

Mark
  • wnielwniel Member Posts: 97
    I had this problem in my 98 ML but blamed the problem on the the possibility that the fluid had frozen while in the high Sierra on a ski trip. Without some antifreeze in the reservoir, the contents will definitely freeze and will likely crack the tank. I hope that this helps.
    Wally
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    I have advertised my ML320 for nearly a month now and the only calls I get are from
    sleezy car dealers who make rediculously low offers. I'm talking news papers with large distribution in the Bay Area.
    One guy offerred $25k. Edmunds says the TMV for private party on my car should be $31.7k. I'd be happy to just get $30k.

It's a Y2K, very clean car with only 22k miles and there has been 2 or 3 calls.

This has to be the worst car MBZ has ever sold as far as re-sale goes. I'm guessing the car has lost over 30% it's value in 2 years. Go to a MBZ dealer (trade in) and the loss is more like 35%. Yet when I step on to a MBZ dealer lot, I see them asking like 10% off MSRP for a comprible car.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Maybe you should try eBay Motors or one of our partners:

Sell your used car

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • aaron35aaron35 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased 2000 ML320, 25K miles, $29K. DOES NOT have cd (just cassette behind flip down display)and stereo is horrible in volume & sound quality. Is better sound & cd just a head unit swap away from a crash model sitting in a boneyard? Any suggestions appreciated. Btw, no navigation either.

Truck rides well but doesn't downshift unless throttle pinned to floor. Is this function of adaptable transmission and former owners lack of road aggression? Is there a way to reprogram/erase transmission w/o visiting dealer?
  • adam86adam86 Member Posts: 11
    We recently bought a 2002 ML320 with M1, M5, Bose and heated seats, its a great car. We were just wondering if anyone has heard of anywhere online to get the chrome grille for the 320? Does it take long to install? Thanks, Adam
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Try www.formymercedes.com, they sell chrome strips for the front grill. They claim it's "easy to install" and you could probably call or email them for details on the installation.
  • pooliopoolio Member Posts: 18
    Adam ,just installed a grille from www.performanceproducts.com,it's a brand new grille ( NOT ) the chrome stripes like other catalogs advertise.The cost of the Grille is 149 dollars,plus shipping.
    The Grilles come from Germany and are made for MB.
    Takes about 5 minutes to install,very easy.
    Looks GREAT
  • 1wiseguy1wiseguy Member Posts: 120
    I just bought a used ML320 and can't figure out how to program the homelink system to work with my garage door. I have a Sears Mastercraft 1/2 hp chain drive opener. Any suggestions or advice? I can continue to use the hand held remote but that defeats the purpose of having HomeLink.
  • pablo_lpablo_l Member Posts: 491
    ...the left headlamp quit working on my wife's ML320. So I went to the dealer, bought the bulb, she comes home, I open the hood... and I've got no clue, and the owner's manual doesn't say a word! There's no room there at all - how on earth am I supposed to change the healamp bulb?! You'd think on an SUV they can make a bit more room, but no, the container for screen wash liquid is just inches behind the left frontlight...

I also noticed quite a bit of corrosion around the battery, which seems to have been leaking - unpleasant surprise. So we'll have to get the car in, for nevertheless, I am curious about the headlamp bulb switch...

Thanks...pablo
  • pablo_lpablo_l Member Posts: 491
    ...have the manual of the garage remote control handy - there's typically a switch somewhere in there to get into programming mode. The stand-alone procedure from the car doesn't work on most systems these days, you have to fully involve the "other side"...
  • pooliopoolio Member Posts: 18
    If the owmers manual,of the garage door opener don't help---- call sears and find out who the manufacture is,then ask them if they have a trouble shooter at the manufacture and they will walk you through it .It's very simple when your told the right way.had the same trouble with my garage door opener talked to the manufacture's trouble shooter and she walked me throught in a matter of seconds.No problem,works fine.Good luck.
  • djdjdjdj Member Posts: 111
    I have a Sears garage door opener and the MB saleswoman got mine programmed on her first try. She did say you have to hold the button for a very long time for it to register. I watched her do it, it was very simple but did seem to take longer than it should.
  • BARAKA100BARAKA100 Member Posts: 1
    I found this original guard on the web for $450 for ML320 2002.
    Dealer wants over 700 installed and said starting 2002 it's very complicated install. They have to take a part front bumper and even modify it somehow.
    Can anybody confirm if it's true ?

Also there is an option to install single CD player behind the display in addition to the CD changer in the trunk. I found it for sell on the web for about $350.
    Any details on the installation ? I am technical but if it's something extraordinary then I will professionals do that.

Thanks
  • jahteejahtee Member Posts: 2
    Can I connect with aspesisteve?
    His email and yours are both marked "private" in each of your profiles, so unless aspesisteve sees this message and changes his profile (or you do), well....

Steve
    Host
  • jahteejahtee Member Posts: 2
    Please email me at jah_tee@hotmail.com, we can talk about your ML320. I am not a dealer, and I agree about your comments about the dealer shops
  • birgerbirger Member Posts: 80
    Hi, Pablo

Firstly, there should be instructions as to how you change the headlamp bulbs in your instruction manual.

Secondly, while you can't sit behind the headlamp to do the job, there's still ample space, also on the LH side, to get the job done without bruises. I have "normal" hands, and normally complete the job in less than five minutes.

I had one of the first Grand Cherokees some time back, and on that one changing the RH headlight bulb required completely removing the battery! Now there you can talk about difficulty.....

Enjoy your ML!

Birger
  • rockypaulrockypaul Member Posts: 104
    HomeLink will not operate on door opener not of the latest and up to date with the Consumer Product Safety Commission standards and your state's code for garage door safety.

All my doors have older operators without the electric eye reversal, etc. Calling Homelink is where I received the above answer.
  • epauerepauer Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know any information on the MY 2003 ML320 or ML500? When will MY 2002 production end and MY 2003 begin? New features? Pricing? Any information would be helpful. Thanks!
  • neicey59neicey59 Member Posts: 47
    I was once the dis-satisfied owner of a 2001 ML320, I won't go into details, but let me say this, my grandson's hotwheels collection ran better, and were more dependable. Every forum (mbworld, mbnz, and edmunds) lists the problems with this vehicle which has contributed to it's low resale.

Also, the fact that the ML line is the only line built in the USA, and in a state not known for it's high level of technological intellect (Alabama)it's no wonder the resale is horrible.

I got more than a fair price, as the dealer who sold it to me purchased it back from me (factory assisted deal which I will refrain from discussing) Anyway, good luck selling the vehicle..it is NOT a true Mercedes in quality nor dependability.

I now drive a E320, and my faith is restored in Mercedes Benz!

ps: yes, Steve...I will be moving over to the sedan boards,

Neicey
    First, you're too young to be a grandmother.

Second, I guess you've never heard of or been to Huntsville (look for the Saturn 5's lying on the ground - they're hard to miss).

Now, I grew up in Mississippi, so I'm loathe to defend Alabama, but jeeze :-). I won't even start on the foundry stuff in B'ham that cranked up a 100 years ago that was ahead of its time.

Enjoy your new ride, and tell Pat I said "hello."

Steve
    Host
    :o)
  • 1wiseguy1wiseguy Member Posts: 120
    Thank you to all who offered suggestions. I managed to program the system and it now works on my 2 garage doors, giving me a third button to program the garage door at my in-laws' house.
  • jodi12jodi12 Member Posts: 1
    I have 3,000 miles on my MB 320 and I am getting little tiny chips down to the undercoat (which is white). The suv is dark blue.
  • maneesh1maneesh1 Member Posts: 39
    I'm looking once again to buy a 2002 ML320. ANyone know of any incentives going on. Carsdirect has it for 1k over invoice. I also would like to know 2 things...

1. Can you get xenon lights without the sports package?
    2. How is the key to the 320 like? Is it a metal key, or does it use infra-red?

I'm still debating between this and the MDX. I'm hoping the Honda pilot will drive down the price of the MDX.
    The xenon headlights are a stand alone option which costs $875 and includes head lamp washers. Please be aware that fewer than 5% of MLs have this option, so your vehicle choice may be limited.

The metal key rotates out of the plastic FOB--very similar to VW keys.
  • mercimemercime Member Posts: 2
    I'm ready to begin searching for a replacement to a trusty Toyota van that has been in the family for 14 years. It has been a fairly reliable vehicle, but given its age and lack of any safety features other than seat belts, I'd say that its time has come to be replaced.

I don't trade cars frequently, as you can see from the age of the Toyota, so I hope to have my next vehicle for many years to come.

I have always wanted a Mercedes. Not so much for the prestige, but for its reputation for fine engineering and saftey. So I am now at a time in life where owning a MB is a possibility rather than just fantasy.

I've visited the local MB dealership on a few occaisions and did a short test drive with 2 vehicles. I am considering one of 3 vehicles:

1. ML320 : Since I have a van now, I am accustomed to driving a "high" vehicle. I like the ability to look out over traffic. It is also easier to get in and out as compared to a sedan. I am also accustomed to plenty of storage and I like the room that an SUV provides. The Toyota gets about 25mpg (4 cylinder)so 15-19mpg will take a little getting used to...
    I have test driven a 2001. I thought the ride was OK.

2. C-320 Wagon : It looks sharp! It offers easy storage. I would wait for the 4-Matic that I believe is due later this year. It is not a high profile and it is not a truck so I would expect a smoother ride. I have not test driven a C-Class. I have seen a few negative comments about the C over on the sedan board. I guess the bugs are still be worked out.

3. E-320 4Matic Sedan: I test drove this car. It was about the best driving car I've experienced.
    Obviously this car is not meant for carrying a lot of cargo like an SUV. I'm afraid if I go with this choice, that I will regret not having the cargo room later on. The E-320 Wagon is out of my comfort range price wise to consider. The E320 sedan is about as high as I'd go.

I welcome any and all of your opinions and information that you can provide to help me in the decision process.
    I bought a '99 ML 320 new in late 1999. I drive it in the snow and really believe it has one of the best and safest traction systems for street/road driving (for the ordinary person.) I don't know if the same traction system is used on the 4-matic but I think it is.

If you want to get out of a bind in deep snow the ML is not the best. Get a Toyota 4 Runner type with locking differentials and transfer case or the Jeep Quadra Track. The Jeep has a rather bad maintenance history base on my shopping in 1999.

For maintenance the ML has not been great. I compare it to my '94 Mercury Sable and it is about the same. My son's '87 Toyota 4 Runner was the best I ever owned in this department.

The '94 Mercury Sable has much better creature features and cost 1/2 the Mercedes. There are postings above about my wishlist in this departement.

My conclusion: I'm not unhappy w/ the ML but then again I probably will try another Toyota in 10 years when I get my next car.
  • delawarejoe1delawarejoe1 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought my ML last month and tried to attach my bike rack this weekend but had some trouble. There seem to be very few 'seams' for a bike rack clip - especially on top. The only place I could determine for my top clips was on the seam with the glass panel and that just doesnt seem safe. Anyone have a suggestion on this one??