Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• c_j_gordonc_j_gordon Member Posts: 19
    45k miles and still in okay condition.
    I bought Mintex brake pads for my ML320 online, but I can't remember from whom. The spring clips fell out of the rivets on the pads. Anyone know how I can contact Mintex? Think I'll stick with MB OEM brakes in the future, even if they last half as long and cos 2 or 3 times more.
  • brarbrar Member Posts: 1
    Own a 2001 ML 320. Overall, fairly happy with the ride quality but have had to endure 3 trips to the dealership in the past year. Driver side window jammed, key stuck in the ignition and yesterday transmission would not engage. Also, dealer recommended front brake pad replacements at only 23,000 miles. Is that normal ? Meantime, my 2000 Accord has not let me down once. Very disappointed in the reliability of the vehicle.
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    We have about 6" of new snow on the ground, with more falling. I had to go out this AM. To go down my steep drive, I tried out low range and 1st gear - with feet off the brake and gas, it crept down at about 2-3 mph - very controllable, going back up in hi range, with ESP off, was a no brainer.
    Cheers
    Pat
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    The ML got a loose clip on one end of the steering fluid pipe this morning. It lost lots of the steering fluid, and I couldn't turn the wheel. Called MB for assistance. They sent a tech and got it fixed. The whole thing took under an hour. I'm very happy with MB's fast response (of course, not so happy with the faulty clip).
  • _roland_roland Member Posts: 3
    My 2000 MB430 (34,000 miles) has developed a rumble noise below 20 mph? Has anybody experienced this problems?
    Comments appreciated.

RDL
    My 2000 ML430 started recently to make a very loud power steering noise when started in the morning (turning or not turning the wheel). It disappears as every part in the engine compartment warms up.
    Has anybody experienced this problem?

RDL
    Anyone been watching how cheap the ML's are going on E-Bay? Unbelieivable. You can purchase a 99 ML320 loaded with less than 40k miles in the high teens.

Guess I'll have to keep it forever :-(
  • cticctic Member Posts: 291
    When you say that you can purchase a 99ML for under $20, did someone actually purchase one for that price? Or is it a bid? Did it meet the reserve? Or was it one of those Christian Estate sales where you can buy MBs for $5K? There was recently another scam where scammers were downloading vin#s from actual dealers, selling the car for thousands below value, asking for a 15% deposit wired to Latvia, and then vamoosing.
    Well, you better have it checked out by the dealer. I had the same symptom but didn't pay much attention before I had to call for roadside assistance. You may already have a leaking steering system. The noise you hear is probably the steering pump sucking in air instead of the fluid.
  • mac320mac320 Member Posts: 147
    According to Edmunds, the sale price of a '99 ML320 to a private party is about $20K, not including options-- not bad considering the number CR has done on MLs since '98.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    There a couple of things I wish the ML would do.

1) I would like the fog lights to come on with just the parking lights, not with the headlights.

2) I wish the power steering was easier to turn in tight parking situations. I guess the tires are too big.

3) I would like radio controls on the steering wheel.

4) I would like the heated seats to be offered in the second row.

THINGS I LIKE:

1) The Parktronic works perfectly, especially since it's difficult to see the end of the front hood.

2) The seats are very comfortable for long trips. (just completed a 2,000 mile trip)

3) The power of the V8 is awesome!

4) On icy surfaces, the ML sticks like glue with perfect traction. (Drove 12 hours (700 miles) through an icy/snowy situation on my 2,000 trip)

Just my .02, Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    Kiiwii, you were right. Thanks for the advice. I took my ML430 to the dealer for the Inspection A and they replaced the whole power steering pump assembly (at 34,500 miles!!).
    They also had to replaced the brake pads (front & rear) and the front rotors. It seems to me it is too early to make this repair ($732.50).
    Regarding the rumble noise between 13-17 MPH three dealer mechanics suggested to change the tires and do an alignment. Tires are still good but I plan to change them in January. I bought a set of original Dunlop GrandTrek at $81/tire at TireRack.

RDL
  • chaysintexaschaysintexas Member Posts: 3
    Buy one of these SUV's. I bought a 99 brand new and ended up having to give it back to the dealer after less than a year because of numerous problems. I thought it was an aberration so I got a 2000. To date, there have been 13 malfunctions on the vehicle, ranging from minor annoyances (cruise control quit, heated seat quit, etc.) to more major things (key won't go into the ignition, and today, power steering just quit). I can't keep the vehicle running long enough to sell it.

My advice is, to save yourself lots of $$$ and headaches, go buy yourself a Kia Sportage and tape a Mercedes star to the front of it. You will then have the Mercedes ML "look" on a vehicle that will run a good portion of the time, and for maybe a third of the cost.

Best of luck.
  • rmatosrmatos Member Posts: 1
    Hi there, been a lurker for some time, and now have some questions on the 2003 ML 350 which my wife and I are now considering when our 2000 RX 300 comes off lease in late Feb.
    1) How difficult is it to remove the standard stereo (not Bose and no Navigation --I will order the car this way) and replace with aftermarket equipment. Has anyone done this? and has anyone put a CD changer under the front seat. In the back is useless to us (on the RX 300 it is in the glove compartment). Also seems like a standard DIN head unit would fit up front. Is this the case??? (Not trying to be a snob, but if we buy, we do plan on keeping for some time and since I do have aftermarket Alpine and Boston Acoustics in my other car I know how much better aftermarket can be compared to Bose)!
    2) I plan on buying not leasing and holding onto the vehicle for some time....any thoughts on Xenon headlamps??? If I do hold onto the ML for a long time will I be the only MB owner in the future without them?? as I am assuming as time goes by they will be more prevalent.....
    3) I read on a Edmunds review a while back that the air re-circulation switch automatically resets to open the vent after it has been closed for over 30 minutes. This could be a major issue for me as I live in northern NJ, frequently drive in traffic and on interstates, and prefer not to breath fumes every half-hour as a reminder to close the vent. Can this control be reset at the dealer???
    4) Extended Warrantee or not ??? If I get an extended warrantee it will be from MB....
    5) Did anyone get the inspiration package, how is the leather different???
    Thanks in advance??? Rob
  • chaysintexaschaysintexas Member Posts: 3
    My ML has 28,000 miles on it and the brake warning light is on. 28,000 miles??? And a fourth of that has been hauling it back and forth to the dealer (250 miles each way) to the dealer for fixes!!!
  • bgsntthbgsntth Member Posts: 92
    On the way to the Acura dealer last night we somehow ended up leasing a ML350 with the Inspiration package. A long story with a happy ending. The "Inspiration" leather adds stitching, white stitching on black leather for our silver. The center arm rest is also covered w/ leather as oppossed to plastic. Every silver ML350 available had the Inspiration, which made it any easy decision and only added $9 to the monthly.
    It's very easy to remove the radio (MCS). All you need is a pair of the removal keys. I believe they sell this in the dealer for somewhere around $20. You can get a set from eBay for about $10.
  • bsdavisbsdavis Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any advice on the integrated phone for the M Class? I am in the process of buying an ML 350, and I am trying to decide if the voice recognition option is worth the extra money.
  • wnielwniel Member Posts: 97
    I don't have the voice activated phone on my ML but I do have it on my E430. I love it and it is so convenient especially with more and more states mandating that hands free phones be used in lieu of hand held. Whether it's worth the added cost is a personal decision. It is a lot of money but that call can only be made by you.
    I hope that this helps.
    Wally
    In an earlier post I mentioned how much I like my ML, etc, etc. Well, when I finished my 2000 mile trip recently, I did notice that I had a squeak in the dash. I've had the ML for a year on Dec. 15th. I took it in because I wanted to have mud-flaps installed and I told them about the dash squeak. They told me that Mercedes has a bulletin on this and that the squeak is actually coming from the hood area, not the dash. So, they will remove the hood, take it to a body shop to have brackets welded on and re painted (the underside not the top of the hood). The service guys said this will remedy the squeak. I sure hope so because I really like the vehicle and don't want any trouble.

Anyone else heard of this remedy? Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • vpotlurivpotluri Member Posts: 47
    Looks like the power steering on my ML430 is dead. I have to really turn the wheel hard to make the simplest of turns. Backing out of a parking spot is a nightmare. It just happened today out of the blue. I called my dealer and they said since this is Christmas eve, they can't help me and told me to call Roadside assistance! I will do so. meanwhile I am wonderng has anyone experienced this? Thanks.
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    My power steering on my 99 ML430 has been trouble prone since 8000 mi (now has 42k). Last week my dealer finnaly fixed it, by replacing both the pump and the reservoir. It seems there are baffles in the res. that keep the pump from cavitating, and introducing air bubbles into the system, which can lead to failure. Hope this helps

Happy Holidays
    Pat
  • derel2derel2 Member Posts: 49
    My wife recently purchased a 1999 ML-430. I have a question regarding the climate control/heater. Is this a true climate control where the vehicle controls the amount of heat coming out of the vents to maintain a desired cabin temperature or is it a standard heater which puts out the same amount of heat depending on the dial setting? The reason I ask is that I notice that the air temperature coming out of the central vents in the dash above the radio varies without changing the temperature dial setting. The air will come out warm when the heat is first selected but will becoming cooler as the cabin heats up. Setting the dial hotter will again cause warmer air to come out of the vent which will eventually cool. The side vents do not seem to noticeably change the air temperature. The climate control systems I am familiar with require the operator to set the desired temperature for the cabin by inputting a digital temperature reading. The ML-430 just has a dial to raise or lower the temperature which makes me think it is not an automatic climate control. Am I right and is the changing temperature in the center vent indicating a problem?

Mike
  • djdjdjdj Member Posts: 111
    My 2000 ML320 works the same way when heating the car. Cooling seems to be more constant.

Earlier discussions on the temp system refer to it as semi-automatic. I finds the temperature drops too much to be trying to maintaining a constant temperature until the car has really warmed up.
    I think we all decided on this board about a year ago that it was automatic climate control (or semi-) but with analog guages.

I start the dial off at 12 o'clock in the white and then put it at about 10 o'clock after 15 mins otherwise it will get too hot. I should really try just leaving it at 10.

As air comes in whether the fan is at 0 or 1, I always leave the fan off when I first start the car otherwise I'll get cold air coming into the cabin. Sometimes if I get on the freeway right afterwards I never even have to turn the fan on - freeway speeds seem push enough air into the cabin. This is unlike MB sedans with the digital guage. When you turn the fan to 0, you can actually hear the vents closing and nothing comes in the car. This leads me to believe it's not just a difference of digital or analog guages - the whole system is different.
    (Update)..... Picked up the ML on Saturday. The squeak in the dash is totally gone. Welding the front metal pieces under the windshield wiper area apparently has done the trick.

The new mud-flaps were installed and I'm sure will do the job but they are kinda big.

Mark
  • bfengbfeng Member Posts: 6
    We have a '99 ML320, which has been
    very reliable but for 2 problems.

WINDOW SWITCH FAILURE: wife complained the
    1-touch down on drivers window was harder to
    activate. I ignored her. Then, at Midnight,
    the window switch failed with window down.
    It was midnight, 20 degrees, snowing, 40 miles
    from home, and we had 2 sleeping babies in the
    back seat!
    Mercedes roadside assistance arrived within
    15 min (but we had to call in twice).
    Mechanic said all ML's with the original
    switch configuration are subject to premature
    failure ... which is why he keeps spares
    in his service vehicle. Repair took 10 minutes.

(2) Mass air flow sensor went bad at 20kmiles.

Otherwise, this has been a rock solid, dependable
    family hauler. If it keeps on at this rate, one of
    our toddlers will get it as her first car.

Road Side Assistance: When we called about the
    window problem, Merc. said a tech would call us
    back in 10 min. 30min passed and no call. We called
    again, they apologized, and alerted the 24hr tech
    from another local dealer, and he called us back
    in less than 2 minutes. So, be persistance and call
    until you get service.

John Feng
  • derel2derel2 Member Posts: 49
    We recently purchased a 1999 ML 430 from a non- Mercedes dealer. The vehicle has less than 50,000 miles and is still under warranty honored by Mercedes. How does the road side assistance work? Is it included with the original warranty and does it expire at 50,000 miles? Is it transferable to second owners? or is it a separate coverage that requires an annual fee like AAA?

Mike
    Roadside assistance is available to any MB vehicle, no matter how old. It does not expire with any warranty.
  • djdjdjdj Member Posts: 111
    The switches go so often you would think M-B would automatically change the panel as part of the B service. Mine just went at 53K on a 2000 ML320. The dealer was very blase about it; when I said the driver's window switch failed, the SA said its usually more than just one.

Mine failed going into a car wash but I jiggled it up in time. Unfortunately 3 days later I was leaving a parking garage (remembered it on the way in) forgot about it, the window went down and stayed down. 20 degrees out but I was on the way to dealer anyway so I dropped it off, went to the Infiniti dealer next door, picked up a QX4 brochure and sat in the M-B lobby reading it and complaining to my sales person about the ML.
  • alaskamlalaskaml Member Posts: 4
    If your window switch fails you can raise the window without assistance from MB. To raise the window after the switch fails you have to pull hard up on the failed switch. Pull really hard. Don't be afraid to break it....it is broken anyway. The switch will snap and the window will come up. You have to remember not to press down after you have it up or it is down until you replace the switch unit.
    How does that work? What does the snap do?
  • alaskamlalaskaml Member Posts: 4
    Somehow when you reef on the switch and it clicks it brings the necessary parts into contact and closes the circuit so that the window goes up. I saw the mechanic at my dealership do it so that I could get the window up until they could swap out the unit.
    I purchased a spare key (never used) ML320 key for my 99 ML320. How can I program it to function like my other ignition key? Do I absolutely have to bring it all the way back to the dealer? They were supposed to program it when I picked it up, but never did. It's a very long drive. Thanks in advance for any instructions.
  • mvhansonmvhanson Member Posts: 14
    Introduction - mvhanson - Des Moines, Iowa
    Purchased 98 ML320 in 00 with 16,000 miles
    Comments:
    Loves - The handling and brakes - More on that
    Hates - heater air flow to feet is absolutely worthless and not worthy of MB's name - need to shut off dash vents to force air to feet.
    Interestingly noted messages by others about the window switch. Mine went out too, and dealer replaced at no charge along with other maintenance charges after initially telling me it would be about $80. I previously took the switch apart to try to fix myself, and concluded the plastic source of the problem was not fixable.
    Handling: Besides my own love of how it handles, My wife has loved the ML handling as she ran over a deer on a dark WY interstate this summer. She kept it on the road. No damage to the ML, but a few days later a dog in Jackson went crazy smelling the underside of the truck.
    Braking: I found the brakes outstanding as I realized yesterday that the car in front of me was not only slowing down but actually stopped. My foot pressure quickly changed from gliding pressure to all out jam. The ML successfully came to a stop before I hit the car in front of me. I then looked in the rear view mirror and realized the Dodge van behind me was not going to be as courteous. I was ramed forward into the car in front of me.
    The ML is fixable, but I'm told that with the declaration of damage on the title, I will lose about 30% of the ML value versus a never-damaged one when I trade. So I am seriously going to try to get the insurance company to just purchase the ML from me, or at least pay me for the lost value.
    Questions:
    Has anyone had experience on the value declination? I'm told I should trade now and get the other driver's insurance to pay for the lost value right away. Anyone had experience on this?
    If I trade, everyone in the family (wife, 16 yr old son, and 25 yr old daughter) says I should get another ML as opposed to the competition.
    I am considering a used 2001 or a new 2002 320, or a new 2003 320 or 350.
    Did MB fix the air flow to feet problem?
    Did MB fix the window switch problem?
    Anyone have any experience in the 350 and comments on it versus the 320? Any comments on the 2001 as a used vehicle?
    Thanks for all replies.
    mvhanson
  • spfoteyspfotey Member Posts: 131
    i own the 98 ML and looked very seriously at getting the 03. They have improved the vehicle a lot since 98 -- much smoother ride. the 02 version is the one i would recommend if you go that way rather than 01. 02 had quite a few improvements including rear ac/heat and a redesign of the front dash.

the window switches have finally been fixed and with auto climate control in the 02's they have improved the overall ventilation system.

i drove the 350 and couldn't tell a difference between that and the 320 but i'm sure there are improvements if it's timed. i would look for a used 02 -- these vehicles don't hold their value as much as other Merc so you can probably get a decent deal.

i ended up going with the MDX simply because i needed some more space for the occasional sixth person, i wanted fewer breakdowns, and more power.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome aboard! You'll find some of the friendliest, helpful and best informed people right here!

tidester, host
    Spfotey and tidester
    thanks for the comments and welcome.
    I'm waiting on repair estimate now, and that will influence what direction I go.
    I welcome other comments from others.
    I looked at GMC Yukon this pm. Talk about sticker shock.
    mvhanson
    A new ML500 (or even a used ML430 or 500) has even better braking than the 320 or 350-- bigger rotors!
    Price is a consideration, and since I have found the 320's power ok for my needs, I've never seriously looked at spending the extra $ for a 430 or 500.
    Thanks for the comment.
    mvhanson
  • spfoteyspfotey Member Posts: 131
    you might want to pick up a copy of the Car & Driver SUV comparison they recently did. i don't recall all of the vehicles but as i recall it was pretty comprehensive...
  • birgerbirger Member Posts: 80
    Hi, Robert

Sorry about taking more than three weeks to react to your post - but I've been off on holiday in a computer-free environment ;-)

Whatever other options you choose for your future ML, DO get the Bi-Xenons! Since I retrofitted them to my 2001 ML 270 CDI, driving in the dark is a non-issue. The low beams are very efficient, without dazzling oncoming traffic, and the hi-beams are just awesome. Even more so, if you do a small modification to also have the traditional H7 hi beams come on like on the European models - but even without this additional candlepower, driving by night is a pleasure.

I know, they don't come for free, but IMHO it's one of the most important safety (and comfort) features. And in some years from now, it might be a little harder to sell a ML without this option.

Cheers from wintry Luxembourg,
    Birger
  • stmarie1stmarie1 Member Posts: 4
    I have just turned 70,000 miles on my 2000ML and wanted to share my results.

Pluses +: Nothing broke. I got 52,000 miles on the original Dunlops and 59,000 before the dealer recommended replacing the front brake pads. I bought the same Dunlops from Sears for $89.00 on sale. The dealer wanted $140. The heated seats are wonderful. There is adequate power for every thing I do including trailer pulling. The MB hitch works perfectly. The nav system is adequate but really not necessary. I have no squeaks, no wind noise from poor door seals, no complaints. The audio system is great for a truck, but,(see negatives). You can see out of it far better than out of my E320 sedan. My wife likes it. The cup holders work. It gets respectable gas mileage. I want another one.

Neutrals +/- : It is and always was a truck. The ride is stiff and solid. If you like a Buick ride, you won't like the ML. It uses premium fuel which with today's economics costs a mere 5% more than regular (because even cheap fuel is now expensive). The cargo space is adequate for cargo, but, (see negatives). It is great in bad road conditions without second guessing the traction system. I live above 9000 feet 80 miles west of Denver and the ML has been tested - often! Many other SUV's are OK driving through stuff, but fail in the downhill mode.

Negatives - : There is not enough room for a jury rigged third row of seats. the Honda Pilot has enough room and it burns regular gas, and it's way cheaper. The CD changer is foolishly located way in the back. The gas tank should be larger so cheap guys like me could make it from Sam's club or Costco to sam's Club or Costco for cheap gas. The spare isn't full size.The "fuel remaining miles to go to empty" readout calculates all the way to dry if you have selected km's but gives up the ghost early if miles is selected giving only a low fuel flashing warning. Probably doesn't matter if you live in a big city and never leave.

That's about it. I read guys complaining about door seal squeaks and must presume that they don't sell cans of spray silicon in their part of the world. I see many petty gripes and can only guess that some folks who thought they were buying a touring car didn't know they bought a truck, and MB makes zillions of trucks, this being one of their itsy bitsy ones. For the person considering an SUV, I say go for an ML and you too will be (ML) Most Lucky!

A caveat. In Denver, the 320's but not the 350's are offered for invoice, but the dealer has a $2000.00 incentive below that plus the usual holdback, so some good buys are there for the wise buyer. Don't run out your warranty miles before you run out your warranty months like I did. I want another one!
    I have a 2000 ML430. Dealer previously replaced pads worn out for some unknown reason under warranty. The sensor light never came on to warn me. I have the same issue again. This week I realized there is a squaeking noise when I brake. Then it started getting louder and now it is noisy throught out the driving not just when braking. My brake pad sensor light is still not on. I am afraid the rotors are getting damaged with every mile I drive. Last time they replaced the pads & rotors under warranty because the sensor light never came on. How many miles are we supposed to get on brake pads before we need to have them replaced?
    It depends. Stmarie1 above got 59K (wow!) out of his before needing replacements, he must be driving a lot of freeway miles.

I live on a hill and got about 15K out of mine. The ML is a heavy truck and the brake pads are very soft. Many of us are getting between 15 to 19K only.

I don't know how the sensor works, but the noise doesn't sound right. Better call your dealer right away.
    Also ran out of warranty miles before years and am happy to hang onto the truck ... it tows great as you said so don't see any need for a 500 and it seems like the 430 gets about the same or better mileage as the new 350. The truck handles very well in the wet and snow last month in Yosemite with Cross Terrains-- the ESP light never blinked. I didn't know that the miles to empty calculator worked to empty when kilometers were selected.
  • psedrishpsedrish Member Posts: 49
    I too didn't notice the KMs to empty function worked. My wife has a 2002 ML320 and we have no serious complaints at all. It seems happy in the swamps of Louisiana. If only the radio controls were on the steering wheel.......
  • chigirl2chigirl2 Member Posts: 4
    hi all. have question on the parktronic for the ML350. do you guys know if we can turn it off, or is it active all the time (thus may get annoying since it'll beep everytime something gets near the car)? thanks much!
    I called the dealer (Ray Catena in NJ) and explained to them that I was hearing loud squeaking noise from the car while driving and while braking. Furthermore, the braking detriorated badly and I was having trouble stopping the car safely. They told me to call the 800-FOR-MERC number and have it towed to their dealership. I did. Now I am told that the brake pads wore off and need to be replaced and I MUST pay for the towing. I argued that they were the ones who told me to tow the car and I was never told about having to pay for the towing. I further asked why didn't the brake sensor light come on. The service rep gives me stupid story that it would have come on any second!! (I suppose this guy could predict the outcome of this year's Super Bowl) Last time they replaced the brakes & rotors because of the brake warning light not working. I understand brake pads are not warrantable. But shouldn't the brake warning light be working so as to warn me before I hear loud noise and vehicle becomes unsafe to drive?

To say I am annoyed with this is an understatement. But I am going to fork over the cash (almost $400). In 6 months when my turn comes around to buy the next vehicle, I will go with a Lexus GX470 and not the ML500 as I was planning to. I have had too many issues with this vehicle and the dealer, pardon me, sucks. I enjoyed the car when it was working properly but don't care for the aggravation and frequent trips to the hideous dealer anymore.