Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• chumsaechumsae Member Posts: 61
    I made a prior entry here chumsae "MB M-Class Owners: Accessories & Modifications" Feb 2, 2003 7:20pm

that may help. I thoroughly agree with
    "August 22, 2003" regarding cheap racks.

We've had two Thule systems, one on a Saab and
    one on an ML, and both worked very hard over years
    of use. We use the ML rack less often than the Saab, but only because the ML can take more inside
    cargo than the Saab.

In addition to what "8/22/03" said, we got lots of
    use from a cargo carrier option - it was a tubular
    rectangle with cross supports that bolted on to the Thule rails... good for carring lumber, plywood, furniture, etc.

Anyhow, check out the prices mentioned in my other
    post and you'll probably see that these racks aren't so bad expense-wise.
  • rajesh_pappurajesh_pappu Member Posts: 13
    I sense that my brake pads and rotors need to be replaced soon (have 71K miles) and am planning to get this job done at a local brake shop rather than at a dealership(quote is at $800). I would definitely like to buy the same parts that the dealership would. Any idea where on the internet I could buy brake pads and rotors used by MB on the ML320? Specific manufacturer/part names would be great. Thanks in advance for the info.
  • tiger2dolltiger2doll Member Posts: 39
    Rajesh,

Check out www.formymercedes.com - they have a good selection for all models.

Rahul
  • bobeberhardtbobeberhardt Member Posts: 39
    Best Service and Best Prices for Mercedes parts can be found at www.mercedesshop.com!
  • ckanesthesiackanesthesia Member Posts: 3
    Hello, I've had my ML 350 for 4 wks and 2000 miles so far.... No major complaints. From reading this board, I was expecting worse. SUV is solid... inspite of what some critics have said about ML looking too much like a van, well, I think its still the best looking SUV on the market, at least a close 2nd to BMW. Only time will tell about breakdowns and maintenance record, but I am being optimistic so far.

My other SUV is a 2001 MDX (60000+ miles). I must say, for the money and worry free ownership, MDX is the way to go. I've done very little as far as maintenance... oil change q7500mi with Mobile 1 5W-30, transmission oil partial flush at Jiffy lube for $35, new tires at 60000 mi, turned all 4 rotors at 50000 mi due to ABS pulsation. Runs like new and handles better than ML 350.

Well, my wife usually drives the ML 350 and she seems to be happy.... At 2000 mi, no sign of oil level dropping... This is somewhat surprising to me at least... I was expecting some oil burn due to new engine and 90+ mph test driving. I hope I'll have nothing bad to report in coming months and years....
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Ckanesthesia, you have bought a very rugged, durable truck. I've had my ML500 for over a year and a half and everything is fine. I've a few adjustments made but nothing due to engine failure or any other mechanical failure. I have 18,000 miles on mine now and the only small problems I've had are a rattle in the dash and a buzzing at the driver's side rear wheel well (fuel pump maybe?). But, nothing that would cause my ML not to run.

I recently received my recall notice on the power steering hose clamp but have had no problems. I wish the ML had easier power steering in tight parking situations but that's about all I would complain about. I'm considering a larger SUV next time but that's just my personal taste. I think you will enjoy your ML but let us know if any problems arise.

Happy Motoring. Mark156
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • jtn2jtn2 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 2002 ML320 with 30,000 miles. I drive everyday! I went on vacation and left the car in my garage for five days. Upon my return the battery was completely drained.

MB roadside came and gave me a jump. I brought the car in to MB service where they claimed there was no drain on the battery. They insisted that I had left a light or something on while I was away from home (I know this was not the case).

Ten days later I again did not drive for four days. Once again the battery was dead!

My return to the service department was greeted with great skepticism. They insisted that I had left some electrical thing turned on. I insisted that they keep the car for four days without using it. At the end of the four days they called me and asked me to come and retrieve the car since it started right up.

When I got to the dealer I asked for my car. I waited and waited, but no car appeared! Finally the service manager showed up and explained that the car did not start and the battery was drained! I asked if perhaps they had left a light on!

It has now been 10 days and they have not been able to figure out what is causing the problem. The dealer claims that they are consulting with MB engineers and that there are a number of other ML320s experiencing the same problem.

At least I have a "loaner" car from the dealer (which I have already put 1500 miles on).

Anyone elese have this experience and what finally happened?
  • tiger2dolltiger2doll Member Posts: 39
    Sounds Wierd - have you or the dealer tried to replace the battery altogether ?? Try putting in a new fully charged battery and see what happens.
    This could certainly be caused by one of many
    problems, but I'd certainly get a new battery
    (mine failed - totally dead - at 45,000 miles and was replaced gratis by MB roadside assitance).

I wanted to mention a similar problem with our
    Lexus LS400: dead battery after a few days of
    non-use... turned out to be the driver's side
    power seat switch. The switch tended to stick
    when pushed toward the rear and would stick in the on position until the switch was manually
    nudged forward. There were no sounds or any other hint that the switch was stuck on.
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    It does sound like a battery gone bad, to check a battery drain is one of the easiest things to do, if you have a multitester disconnect the negative terminal from the battery, connect one lead to the (-) post in the battery and the other clip to the disconnected cable, set your tester at Amps x 1000 and check the readings, if you have a reading above 20 milliamps you have a drain. (You may want to start at higher fractions of amps in case the drain is too high and blow a fuse in the tester)
  • ckmccoy5ckmccoy5 Member Posts: 24
    Hi all - Great board - apologies if this has been already answered (I'm up to post #6274 in my review). Question: I just bought a 2002 ML 320. It does not have CD or NAV. What parts do I need to have these two features? What are the exact names of the parts? Where can I get part numbers (local dealer would not give me numbers)? Many thanks.
    Dropped my ML500 at the dealership this morning for the power steering clamp recall.

Final analysis: At 18,500 miles

~Full "B" service (oil change,filter change,wiper replacement,tire rotation)
    ~Replace fuel pump in gas tank (buzzing)
    ~{recall} replace clamp for power steering hose
    ~molding loose under front bumper (black piece)
    ~rear brake pad replacement ($235.00)

The front brakes have 50% left on them. My advisor said the rear pads are less than a millimeter and my warning light was getting ready to come on.

I'm getting ready to go no a 1,000 mile driving trip and didn't want to risk a break down.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • krodrenkrodren Member Posts: 31
    Re the brake pad replacement cost, isn't there a 3 or 4 yr free maintenance program for MB (like Audi and BMW)?
  • bobeberhardtbobeberhardt Member Posts: 39
    The Mercedes maintenance program is for 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. It covers all scheduled maintenance during this period but does not cover wear items such as tires and brakes.

2003 model year BMW's were the first to also include the first set of brake pads in their maintenance program. For BMW this was a big addition since on a BMW you also are required to replace the rotors each time you replace the pads. A typical 4 wheel brake job in a BMW will set you back $800!
    How do I know what packages (if any) I have? I have a 2002 ML 320 with leather, sun/moonroof - no CD, no Nav, no heated seats. I do not know if the stereo is Bose or not (did they offer another one in '02?). I see references on the board to different packages and was wondering which ones I have/lack...e.g., M5, M7 etc... Thanks.
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    I just got back from from a 2K road trip. Despite my complaining about the issue at a pervious service, I experienced engine stalling whenever the ambient temp got above about 88 degreees or so. I'm fairly sure it is the fuel pump and plan on pushing the issue this week with my dealer.

Being stranded on the side of the interstate in 90-degree temps is no fun. I was able to limp along until evening temps arrived by letting the pump cool and then driving at low speeds, but this is probably the last straw on this vehicle. I see a Honda Pilot or Toyota Highlander in my future.

BTW, I left the truck parked for nearly two weeks with the alarm on and it started right up. This is with the original battery in a 4-yr old vehicle. So a 4-day discharge is not normal. This dealership is treating the customer with contempt, evidence assuming the truck would start after four days and telling the customer to come in and pick it up without even trying to start it. The discharge should be very easy to diagnose. If you have other service options in your city, I'd try them.

- Mark
    Markjenn, I'll let you know how my "power steering test" goes when I get the ML back from the shop. I want to see if I can steer it with the motor off as we had discussed a month ago.

You had tested yours at 20/25 mph and I did mine, originally, at 8/10 mph rolling backwards down the driveway. I'll do a similar test driving in a parking lot to see how different it is.

Markjenn, did you have to change your brakes pads yet? How many miles is on your ML?

Mark156
    Yes, I'd be interested in your results.

My 2000 ML320 has 52K miles and has had the front brakes done at about 25K and the rears at about 35K. The dealer said I needed new front brakes on the last service at 49K, but I let it slide and 3K miles later, I still don't have a warning light. My guess is that they attempt to sell you a brake job if they pads are 75% worn or more. At $600 an axle with new rotors (about $250 if I DIY), I'm just going to wait until the light comes on - if I scrape up the rotors by pushing it a bit, no big deal as I was going to replace them anyway.

- Mark
  • seattleml320seattleml320 Member Posts: 11
    I am currently leasing a 2000 ML320 which will be maturing in December 03. The factory warranty will be expiring at the same time. Current miles are 36k and I am allowed 60k on the truck. I really like the vehicle and wondering if I can re-lease it at a lower price and buy the extended warranty. Any suggestions?
  • pathdocpathdoc Member Posts: 126
    Make sure that you can purchase an extended Mercedes warranty if you re-lease. At one time I was turning back a Mercedes(500 SL)and was told that I could not get an extended MB warranty if I wanted to purchase or re-lease.
    I did the "steering" test this afternoon on ML500. Apparently, the speed can make a difference. Travelling downhill, I cut the engine off and built up a speed of 20 plus mph. I was surprised at how I could control the vehicle. It was hard to steer but manageable. I feel safer now if my power steering was to ever go out.

I know it might sound crazy, but since they changed my power steering clamp, my power steering seems easier. Might be psychological.

Mark
    Glad you have renewed confidence. I really don't think the ML is any different than any other similarily-sized SUV on the road with respect to steering difficulty after power steering failure. What is different is that the ML has had a high incidence of PS failures due to the power steering clamp problem.

- Mark
  • sydney6sydney6 Member Posts: 64
    Hello all, been a long time since I have posted here.

My wife's 2000 ML-320 has been a fabulous vehicle, but on Saturday left her stranded for the first time. It wouldn't start, just sort of vibrated. After cutting short my golf game, I tried my key and it started right up. No sign of any difficulties, low battery, etc.

She had called MBUSA and they sent a technician, but by then it had started for me several times, so he suggested we take it in on Monday.

Tonight it happened again, exactly the same scenario as before.

Anybody have a similar situation? Any thoughts?
    If your truck starts and a second later quits, time and time again is probably the key ring antenna not recognizing the key, sometimes static electricity (dont let the key get wet) builds on the key, the thing to do is pull the key out, fold it back rub it against your pants and try again.
    Hi all - Great board - apologies if this has been already answered (I'm up to post #6920 in my review). Question: I just bought a 2002 ML 320. It does not have CD or NAV. What parts do I need to have these two features? What are the exact names of the parts? Where can I get part numbers (local dealer would not give me numbers)? Many thanks. Also...

How do I know what packages (if any) I have? I have a 2002 ML 320 with leather, sun/moonroof - no CD, no Nav, no heated seats. I do not know if the stereo is Bose or not (did they offer another one in '02?). I see references on the board to different packages and was wondering which ones I have/lack...e.g., M5, M7 etc...I'm trying to figure out what the sticker was on this truck in '02 and do not know where to look..... Thanks.
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    The NAV drive plays both navigation CD and music CD. It's a small deck right behind the MCS. For MY '02, all you need is the NAV deck. I believe the antenna and amplifier are pre-installed. To install the NAV deck is a 10-15 min job for people who do not have any experience like me. I don't have the part number, but a new unit should be right under $1,000.

Two ways to check for BOSE. 1.the speaker grills should have BOSE logos. 2.when you turn on the MCS, BOSE logo shows up briefly for few seconds.

You can get a copy of the installed equipments of your ML in ANY MB dealership. They can pull the info with your VIN.
    Many thanks, Kiiwii for the info...now I have to decide if it's worth putting in the CD system since my stereo does not appear to be Bose - or go aftermarket with a changer and new speakers. The problem with that is the non-OEM changer would not integrate with the MCS and I'd have to have separate controls, run it through the FM, etc...Well, there's always ebay - changers for our year run about $300. Thanks again.
    I hesitate to comment since my knowlege is incomplete on the subject of option packages,
    but, I highly doubt that many (or any) ML's were
    shipped without a CD. Yours may be like our
    2000 ML320, where the six disk CD changer is
    located in the cargo area, right side behind
    a swing out panel. I think it would be particuarly
    odd to not find a CD in a car with leather and
    sunroof, but again, I don't know the content
    of each option designation (M1, M5, etc).

As a prior commentor said, get the option list
    based on your VIN from the dealer.
  • sydney6sydney6 Member Posts: 64
    Took it to the dealer....'crank sending unit' was the culprit. Don't know if anyone else has had this issue.
    Glad you resolved your problem, in my post # 7146 I indicated it was the key ring antenna, if you ever get a chance to check see if it is the same thing, just curious.

If the receiver does not recognize the signal (from the key) it will shut down the ignition.
    There are two types of CD players available for MLs. One is a single CD player (not very common). It is placed right behind the MCS screen. It looks just like a NAV deck. The other kind is a CD changer. Like chumsae mentioned, it's in the cargo area. The easiest way to find out if you have a CD player or not is to 1. turn on the MCS 2. press the CD key. If you don't have a CD player, the screen will say "CD player not installed".
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    I had a very bad experience at Mercedes Benz of Manhattan yesterday. I left my car at 7:30 am for the recall and to install a new set of tires. I was told by the service advisor John King that the car would be available that evening. I called him at about 4:30 pm and left him a message to call be back. Since he didn't bother to call, I assumed the car would be ready. I took a taxi over there only to be informed by the receptionist that John was "gone" and I should come back the next day. I told her that I wasn't going to leave unless some one explained to me why no one bothered to return my call. I was okay with the car not being returned on time. I was mad that no one had the courtesy to call me and inform me so I wouldn't have to bother to leave work early and catch a cab to the dealer. Any way she wasn't of much help and I walked into the office and spoke to another service advisor. He was nice and offered to try to find a mechanic who was working late and complet the work on the car. Anyway I waited for an hour before some I got my car.

This is definitely not what I would expect from Mercedes. Those of you who are planning on getting a new Merc, they are good cars, but sometimes you have to deal with lousy dealers.
    I just installed a set of Michellin 4x4 XPC on my 99 ML320. These where the only off-road all terrain tires that I could find in this size. They look really cool. I got mine from www.onlinetires.com at about 150 + shipping a tire. About 20 bucks a tire cheaper than tire rack.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Let's refrain from providing names of sales persons AND service advisors! Thanks.

tidester, host
    After probably 100 service visits to 30 different dealerships over my car ownership career, I'd say that about half the time they pro-actively call near the end of the day to let you know if your car is ready. So while your expectation is certainly reasonable, your experience is sadly par for the course and not unusual, whether the dealer services Mercedes, Lexus, or Kia.

In their meager defense, I have friends who work in the business and customers are very difficult to reach. When the chips are down, they're going to service cars, not spend a lot of time on the phone tracking customers down. They figure you'll call.

This is another application where the wrong grossly inefficient tool (phone) is used rather than the right tool (email).

I would NEVER leave for the dealership to pick up a car without confirming it is ready.

- Mark
    Come on Mark.

The chap told me that he would call me and inform me either way.

How difficult is it to leave a message on my phone if I wasn't at my office. How do you think the rest of the world conducts their business over the phone. Why should car dealerships be any different? That's a lame excuse.

However, I do agree with you that I should have got a confirmation that my car was ready before I left. The problem was that the number on his business card he gave me kept going to his voice mail. Maybe next time I should call the receptionist and try to get her to figure out if my car is ready or not. I guess that what I should expect from an MB dealer.
    I am not sure if any of you have remember my posts from about a year and a half ago when I mentioned that I was going to ship my ML320 to England for a year. I did and just brought it back a couple of weeks ago. It was fairly easy and costs me about $1600 to ship both ways. I did put it to good use. Drove to France, Germany, Spain etc. I guess mine is probably one of the few american ML's on this board which has been to europe and back.

If any one needs any information on shipping their car temporarily to UK and back, gimme a holler and I can tell you how I did it.
  • cochesecochese Member Posts: 19
    We have a 2003 ML350 without the NAV. We were told to upgrade would be $1600 for the part alone. My question is why? If the only part that needs to be changed is the drive behind the screen, why pay for the whole unit? Is there a cheaper way? Help.... Is the navcomponent offered as a part from MB to add to the current screen? Why would the features be on the unit now if it was not upgradeable?
    The $1600 charge probably reflects the entire cost of designing, marketing, distributing, and supporting the NAV system, including database and software costs, not just the cost of the extra "drive behind the screen." And options are priced according to what the market is willing to pay for the option, not what it costs to make.

I'm surprised it is as low as $1600. Typically retrofitted options are much more expensive than the original cost of the option.

- Mark
    Thanks again for the feedback - my '02 320 with leather and sunroof does not in fact, have the CD/NAV behind the MCS nor does it have the changer (I did check), which I agree, is an odd option to delete in this type of vehicle. I bought it used a few weeks ago from a private party (30,000 miles, desert silver, beautiful shape - $28000) and I feel I did pretty well(?) on the deal - well enough to get a changer off ebay and then see if the dealer will install. Any further input/advice would be most welcome.
    I read an article in yesterday's Wall Street Journal on Diamler Chrysler. It said that the CEO Jurgen Schremp has admitted that Mercedes has been suffering from quality problems. The article also said that this is the first time that senior management of Mercedes has admitted that they are having quality problems. I guess they have decided not to live in denial and do something about it. Just wish they would make their dealers more accountable as well. I guess any company eventually wakes up to reallity once they start to loose market share.

Which is good, because I just love the new E-Class. I was never a big fan of sedans. Always have owned SUVs right from a 1988 Isuzu Trooper. If I ever get a sedan, it will be the E-Class. And when I do finally get around to trading in my ML, Mercedes would have hopefully got their quality problems under control.
    It should NOT be $1600 for MY '03. A brand new NAV drive should be around $1000. The price you were quoted is for MY '00 and '01. The 3 major components for ML's NAV system are GPS antenna, amplifier, and the NAV drive. Older MLs do not have the antenna and amplifier. Each of these two parts costs about $300, and the entire system costs about $1600-1700. The latest MLs have antenna and amplifier installed. All you need is to pop the MCS out and install the NAV drive.
  • cochesecochese Member Posts: 19
    Thanks for the info, you wouldn't have any resources for me would you? Like friendly parts dealers etc...
  • kbrant1kbrant1 Member Posts: 3
    Any person thinking of buying one of these vehicles should have a long hard look at its record. I bought a new ML exactly 2 years ago. I have three pages of a schedule of faults, some of which were serious. A recurring fault was auto slippage. The vehicle was conveyed to the dealership 4 times on the back of a breakdown truck and spent a total of ten weeks in the dealership. They still they could not fix the fault although it was showing as a fault on their computerised test analysis system.

The culmination of this was two meetings with the heads of the the dealership and state managers from MB. After some intense negotiation a settlement was reached which effectively gave me all my money back on the vehicle if I stayed with an MB product. I have done so but have not purchased an ML class. That would be the last vehicle in the world I would buy.

I have had many new vehicles over the years, none of which has come anywhere near the appalling record the ML has had.
  • mac320mac320 Member Posts: 147
    We have had excellent experiences with our MLs, e.g., nearly 75K miles on the '00 ML430 that we traded for a '03 ML500 about 5K miles ago. We also think the V6-320 engine is great in the C-class sedan that we replaced the Honda with in '02. As far as tranny problems ... if you stayed with MB, then you now have the exact same 5-spd automatic that was in your ML because that is what is in all MBs, from a C240 to a CL600: the same as used in the 5,000 lb. ML55 AMG that tows a 5,000 lb. boat from 0-60 in less than 6 seconds, and the E55 AMG that produces 516 ft. lbs. of torque from a 5.5-liter supercharged V8 and does 0-60 in 4.5 seconds. Most of MBs engines are the same too, e.g., made on the same German, V8 assembly line--even the V6-320 which is a cut-down 430--the 500 is a 430 with a bigger bore; the 240 is a 320 with a shorter stroke.
    Here is a picture I took at the plant in Alabama, is the W5 three channel converter, as you can see it is a big strong set up, very few will guess that under the ML skin this big unit sits. I have a 99 ML430 going into 5 years trouble free, once I pulled an 8,000lbs load consisting of a tractor on a trailer several miles on off road trails, in low range there was no strain detected, I also pull a heavy offshore fishing boat at over 5000lbs but mostly a pair of jetskies for a several hours each way to my favorite destination, I have to say that in its class is the strongest built truck with very good handling, love that rack and pinion steering.

http://www.funtigo.com/mltransmission
    I read in C&D that Merc is skipping the 6 speed auto that most other luxury brands have and is moving to a 7 speed from the 5 speed. This will be available from next year. One interesting thing about this tranny is that it can shift non sequentially. i.e. say from 7th gear staright to 5th if needed without falling to 6th first. This will definitely increase performance.
  • joeindenverjoeindenver Member Posts: 31
    I think you are right - anyone should take a hard look at the vehicle of choice before buying. In this case, the ML is apparently competent in regards to engine and transmission at least over the past couple of years. But we all hope we never get a car like the one you describe. While we all know that "most" of the cars produced won't give us much, if any, trouble, some make up for the difference, like yours. When we go to the dealer and they have 3 cars that are basically the same neither they or the buyer know which one will give good service and which will give bad service. You were one of the unlucky ones in regards to the statistical population of "bad" cars - that "1 in 100" that prefers the dealer's garage to your own. But you were lucky in that MB basically let you have a car at no cost for two years. You lost nothing in depreciation or trade in value as the rest of us will, but you paid for that in loss of use and frustration. At least MB was willing to work with you on this, many other manufacturers would not have been so accommodating.
  • thedibsthedibs Member Posts: 13
    What a JOKE that car was!

During the first week the Nav/Radio stopped working.

Then the Memory Seats with the controls broke. Then the blower of the air conditioner...

Then the seats would not fold down to get access to third row...

The Trip computer has been replaced 3 TIMES !!!!

The Recall took 2 weeks to be performed because the "parts" would not arrive (ok, I had a C Class loaner, but its not the same).

One thing after another after another... ENOUGHT!
    I will NOT buy another Mercedes in my life.

I give you that the car looked sharp. Black with Sport Package... Everybody liked the looks... But that is ALL this car had going for itself... (well, perhaps the engine power, but now many SUVs have 300 HP anyway)...

Sorry but I had to get this out of my system.

If you are thinking about buying an ML then my recommendation is DO NOT DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • kbrant1kbrant1 Member Posts: 3
    Yes, I must agree that MB were willing to work me me on the problem and that at the end of the day we came to an amicable agreement. I too very much doubt that other manufaturers would be so accommodating. That said however, it was a battle, many others would have given up before the agreement was reached and it was only extensive prior research that won the day. MB tried to deflect all blame and also put up convincing arguments. I'd done my homework and was in a position to counter each one.

If anyone is having a battle with MB in the future re an M Class feel free to contact me.