Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• nuinui888nuinui888 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    I have a brand new ML350. After witness a roll over accident of an toyota 4x4 that killed everybody in that vehicle, I become very concern about the possibility of roll over of my suv.
    Does anyone here has or knows any body else that experience the roll over problem with this vehicle? Unfortunately, there is no record of testing or rating on roll over of this model for me to check! Please help.
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    I have read several accounts from ML owners in other places in which they all vouch for the excellent protection the ML offers and have no regrets including a couple of rollovers.

Here are a couple of links that will provide a wealth of information, several hours of good reading and all about Mercedes and safety design.

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/crashes.html

http://home.pacbell.net/psf0/crashes.htm
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    The worse documented ML rollover I know of was discussed on another system, complete with pictures. The vehicle rolled down a gravel slope. There was a fair amount of crushing on one side of the roof. The passenger, the driver's wife, suffered a broken shoulder, and I think he had minor injuries.

However, it probably would have been worse in many other vehicles. The ML probably has the best roof structure after the more recently designed XC90.

No vehicle is going to protect passengers 100% in a rollover, of course. Some of the photos in the second link show roof crushing. I believe the NHTSA FARS database does have some rollover-related fatalities with the ML, just like other vehicles.
  • mperetzmperetz Member Posts: 2
    First - I think this car is pretty poor. It is pathetic that it is called an MB.

My specific issue is about an undiagnosed and seemingly undiagnosable 'sloshing' sound that sounds like a fish tank of water moving around in the car upon accel/decel. The boys at MB tried to shake the car around to find it. That's it.

Any ideas what it might be and if it is dangerous?

Thanks!

I won't be buying another one - but I doubt I could sell this one until I resolve the aforementioned.
  • khoonkhoon Member Posts: 85
    Let me add my 2 cents re my '99 ML320. I love the drive and the feel of the truck. My love affair ends there!!

I agree with most of the complaints in this forum. From a relaibility perspective, the bloody thing sucks!!! My lemon guzzles 1 FULL QUART of expensive synthetic oil for every 1000 miles!!!! MB-USA's response to that is ....it's within our specifications.

When I first complained to my dealer - Benzel Busch in Englewood, NJ; I was told that a Rolls Royce consumes even more oil - so I should be glad!!!

I couldn't decide who was worse, MBUSA, or the dealer. Needless to say, if I had to do it all over again, I'd go for a Japanese SUV and enjoy the reliability.

I hope potential buyers read and investigate the experiences of the current owners prior to burning their hard earned money on these expensive lemons.
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    One time my low oil indicator did come on, on my 1999 ML320. But this was after a 3000 mile road-trip during one of the hottest weeks of the year. Anyway, I topped it up and took it to the dealer.

My dealer did an oil consumption check and the consumtion was within specifications. I have never had to top up the oil between services after that.

The reason I took it to the dealer was because at that time, there was some messages going around that the people who followed the FSS indicator using conventional oil might have had engine damage and mb was paying for repairs. The dealer had used regular oil for my first oil change. Ever since I use only Mobil 1 and change oil every 7500 miles. I dont' trust the FSS for the oil changes. Ofcourse I do the regular service when the FSS says it is due for one.
  • mb280mb280 Member Posts: 27
    It was interesting reading the comments on this board. I have an old C280 and my wife has a 99 ML320. I didn't want to be a two ML family and am aware that they will be changing body styles so I bought a RX330. The ML after 63,000 miles has had its share of minor problems but there is no comparison between the vehicles. The ML feels like a solid machinery. The RX feels like a piece of tin. Somehow when I drive the ML I feel secure both in terms of handing and body structure. I do not have that feeling about the RX. To be sure the RX is beautifully finished and has great features. I would switch cars with my wife but I am concerned about the car's safety.
  • 350driver350driver Member Posts: 1
    When going >65 mph, my ML 350 makes a whining sound. It just sounds like the engine is a little noisy. I don't think it's too bad but should it be to the point where it is noticeable? Even my C230 is quieter going uphill. Anyone else notice this too?
  • cticctic Member Posts: 291
    mb280, I feel the same way as you do. The German cars just feel more solid. Maybe they just have bigger springs. I also think the German sheetmetal is thicker.
  • mac320mac320 Member Posts: 147
    Some car has to be on the top, by whatever measure is employed. I think Lexus gets more credit for being there year after year than just making it to #1.

Not to take anything away from their accomplishment--being #1 is still #1--it doesn't mean much to me, given the low numbers.

The scores are numbers of incidences per 100 cars like 2.5 or 3.8 and etc. There is still many owners that do not have problems, and the way I look at it, who cares if you take your car in for some attention under warranty during the first few months of ownership and they fix 1 problem or 2 problems while it's there: 2 fixes would run the score up but the buyer shouldn't have much concern about it if the mfg is standing behind their car.

Moreover, the longer term experience is much more important than little nigglies in the first few months. And, you cannot forget about the demagraphics: MB owners are older on average than the purchasers of many other makes so you've got the "old-fart" factor to deal with when it comes to complaints.

I think Lexus may have one big advantage over mfgs like MB that do not have a cheaper line of auto. CR said years ago that a Lexus 300 was simply a Camry costing $10K more.

For an extra $10K, you can practically reassemble every "Camry" before the "L" goes on, just to make sure some of the nigglies are ironed out. that's what used to said about what was done in Japan before an American-made auto could be sold in Japan.

At any rate, I think the results are bogus anyway. I cannot believe that a no-frills, plane-Jo Ford F150 with virtually no features and few significant changes from year to year would not have fewer complaints about problems in the first few months compared to any other car with sophisticated electronic and mechanical features and so much more to go wrong, no matter how well it may be built.

I especially love reading scores and prognostications from supposedly expert organizations like Kelly Blue Book, for instance, with appraisals about what the best cars will be 5 years down the road, based on the opinions of their "editors." Just how much editing goes into producing KBB?

I'm pretty sure that most if not all of what you read about rating cars is merely marketing--they're taking money for these ratings like the polsters that seem to always come up with the results that the sponsor of the poll wants to see.
  • tiger2dolltiger2doll Member Posts: 39
    Hi All,

Today I dropped off my ML500 at the Dealers place for getting a couple issues fixed. Its a 2002 with 14K miles on it :

1. Faulty Fuel Guage - Does not show full even though the fuel tank is full. The SA said the MTBE in the fuel causes the Fuel Sending Unit to conk off - will replace it.

2. Whistling Noise from left dash - It is the famous Aspirator Motor - will replace it.

3. Security Alarm goes off randomly - looks like some software fix is in place.

4. Rear Brakes squeak when reversing - don't know what they are going to do.

5. Rt side door locks make noise when unlocking - don't know what they are going to do.

About 3 mths ago I had gotten the FSS A Service performed on the vehicle. The issues which were fixed then were :

1. Power Steering Hose Clamp recall - no issues so far.

2. Replced the Windshield WasherFluid Tank - had cracked.

3. The radio was switching from Stereo to mono by itself - some software fix - working fine so far.

4. The Rt side window trim had faded - replaced the Fr and Rear window trim.

5. During hot days when the car would get hot from inside - some squeaking noise would come form the dash on driving. Dealer could not reproduce the problem - haven't heard the squeak since then.

On both occassions the dealer had to keep the car over night - got a E320 and a C320 as loaners.

Personally, very happy with the vehicle in terms of looks, styling, and the raw power. Nothing comes close to it. There are these annoying problems - which luckily are being fixed under warranty.

Will get the vehicle tomorrow as it is overnight at the dealer's. Will post an update later.

Happy motoring,
    Tiger2Doll
  • mouseonlinemouseonline Member Posts: 47
    read post 7184
    I just have never seen these many problems in a Lexus. I own a Lexus and read lexus forum a lot.
    BTW, in German, MB make cheap cars as well. I remember that years ago, when I lived in Europe, I saw small MB cars cost around $10,000 -- $15,000.
    MB still use CD based NAV also does not make sense to me.
    about a cheaper line of cars: it was CR that said a Toyota Camry was the same car as a Lexus ES300. The Land Cruisers and the big Lexus SUVs seem to have been the same car for a long time.

I think that when you pay more for a Lexus than for a parallel Toyota product that is functionally equivalent, you're probably paying for someone to go through it. The results have been good enough to make this approach a successful marketing tool about quality.

As for NAV units, our '03 ML500 has a DVD Nav system which is better than the the first generation CD-based system: more than two states fit on a disk. We traded in an '00 ML430 and I do not know of any other SUVs that came with NAV units as standard equipment in 2000 or any car that had DVD-based systems in that year.
  • lmkheneylmkheney Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2002 ML500 with only 29,000 miles on it. I have had the brakes replaced twice by MB because the continually screech. My car is again in the shop with another defective BAS warning lamp, and with the cold weather, again the brakes screech every time I break.

I am told by MB that they are aware of this problem, yet they refuse to rectify it. Hopefully you don't live in a cold climate or it would be screeching all the time.

I have had 3 other ML's and none of them had this many problems. I am at my wits end.

If any one has any advice, I would appreciate it.
  • stmarie1stmarie1 Member Posts: 4
    After 79000 trouble free miles on a 2000 320 with nav, I switched to a 2003 500. I replaced the front pads once on the 320 and the rears went all the way to 79000 without squeak one. the 500 is six months old and the brakes have never made a noise. If your brakes are noisy and your dealer can't or wont fix that, change dealers!

Your BAS "light" is working or you wouldn't notice that it's on. I also have a 98 E320 that had a recurring BAS light. Strange as it may seem, the cause was low voltage in the battery due to one weak or shorted cell. If they can't fix that, or anything else, just keep their loaner and tell them to bring yours back when it's right.

Be persistant. Park your truck in front of their service door the night before you need stuff done as they can't get anyone else in until they get yours in. If you don't get it done right, copy your paperwork and mail it to MB, and change dealers.
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    Certainly there is a limit to how much noise is acceptable in brakes, but my experience is that some make noise and others don't, often for no apparent reason. Park on the dealer's doorstep if you want, but in many situations, accepting a little noise and moving on with one's life makes more sense.

- Mark
    Brake noise is a complicated subject, but the generally accepted primary cause is the wear pattern of the pads, when the brakes are applied the friction of the pads against the rotors cause them to nose dive into the rotor at the leading edge in effect causing a wedge pattern if cut longitudinally, since the pad is thinner at the front than the rear when the pressure is light the pads does not fully press against the rotor and the front is able to vibrate, this high frequency vibration is what we hear.

The most common solution is to apply a compound to the back of the pads this compound will compress in the high pressure rear and allows full contact of the pad and eliminating the room for vibration. Applying more pressure to a squealing brake can easily prove it. By doing so you eliminated the vibrating gap.

But at the end I agree with Marks assessment in his last sentence, the noise is not a safety issue or that something is wrong, most times changing braking habits will take care of that or simply let the brakes wear some more and it will go away, because the issue is more common with new thick pads, that is why people that continuously go to the dealer and they install new pads the noise comes right back.
    I had a similar problem with the BAS light. Apparently if you disconnect the Battery you need to reset the BAS/ETS by turning the wheels full lock to the left and then to the right.
    Hi All,

Got the vehicle back last night. The dealer had to keep it for 2 nights. Here's what they did :

1. Faulty Fuel Guage - Replaced the Fuel Pump and the Fuel Sending Unit. A common known issue.

2. Whistling Noise from left dash - It was the famous Aspirator Motor - replaced it.

3. Security Alarm goes off randomly - could not reproduce it. They thing it had something to do with point # 5.

4. Rear Brakes squeak when reversing - they kept the car overnight for 2 days. Tested it - could not reproduce it. The Tech said that very slight noise especially early in the morning is normal when the brakes have been cold overnight. The noise does not come with regular driving - have been asked to keep and eye on the same.

5. Rt side door locks make noise when unlocking - the door lock assembly on the Rear Rt door had to be replaced. The latch and some retaining clip was replaced. No noise comming now. They suspect the Security Alsrm was going off due to the Rear Rt Door not locking properly.

One strange thing happened yesterday - the steering on this vehicle is pretty tight compared to my other care 99 Lexus RX300. Before I dropped off the vehicle on Mon the PS had the tough feel. But yesterday after I picked up the vehicle - the PS has become very smooth and light. Its as smooth and light as the RX300. I don't know waht they did (or didn't do) but the PS feels very smooth now. The PS recall on my car was done 3 mths ago.

Enjoying the vehicle - seem to have got affected with all known issues and got them fixed. Hopefully these will not re-occur.

Happy driving,
    Tiger2Doll
    Has any one had to replace their battery? I have a feeling mine is on it's last breath. Should I get a MB battery or something else?
    OEM batteries are typically expensive for mediocre quality - you're paying for the convenience of having it done at the dealer. Consumer Reports rates batteries every so often, but I think it is hard to go wrong with a Sears Die Hard. I recall Excide rating highly also and they liked Delcos a few years back.

Battery life is wildly variable, mostly depending on climate and how much time the car has sit unused but anything beyond four years or so is living on borrowed time. Batteries are cheap and easy to replace, so if in doubt, replace.

- Mark
    Hi All,

I have a 2002 ML500 and was surprised to find out that it does not have the 2 fans in front of the Radiator. There is a big gap between the radiator and the front bumber. My friends ML350 has the 2 fans !! Is it a feature on the ML500 or is my car missing something ? Please help.

Thanks,
    Tiger2doll
  • pablo_lpablo_l Member Posts: 491
    ...48k miles on a '99 ML320, not a single issue, ever, and the car feels carved out of solid concrete - no sounds, no nothing. Just drives and drives. Only thing we've done is change the tires at 40k-something miles, and the Michelin Cross Terrain are *much* better than the original Dunlops, recommended.

I guess there's one of everything. Here's knocking on wood it stays this trouble-free.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Tiger, my '02 ML500 doesn't have the extra two fans either. I noticed that when I first bought it. I'm curious as to why the ML350 has one.

Mark156
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    I took my car to the dealer - even the SA was surprised to see no fans in front of the radiator in the ML500 !! He called the Shop Foreman - he said that the ML500 and ML55 do not have the 2 samll fans. Since they have bigger engines they have a bigass fan behind the Radiator. I then checked out a couple new ML500 and ML350 in the dealer lot. Its true - the ML500 does not have the 2 small fans in front of the radiator but the ML350 does have it.
    The newer MLs have much larger a/c capacity. Our old ML430 was good but the '03 ML500 is excellent. One of the improvements, I think beginning in '02, was to remove the two fans from the front of the radiator. Most of the time, they're not needed because the car is moving and in those instances, the fans in the front only block airflow. When more airflow is needed, e.g., when not moving at all, cooling air is now pulled thru from behind the radiator. Especially when the car is moving, if more airflow is needed, it's better to pull air from behind to take full advantage of the "free" airflow.

There's a little more room up front compared to older models but not because something is missing. The bumper was moved out with the last face lift but the change was more than cosmetic. There seems to be some extra support up front for even greater crash protection: the hood bra from our '00 ML430 fits fine but the lower bumper part of the bra doesn't fit. There is a very substantial looking tubular bar across the front, behind the bumper, that I never saw on the older model.
  • seattleml320seattleml320 Member Posts: 11
    My lease on 2000 ML320 is expiring in December. I am tempted to re-lease it as MB is giving 0% Apr on re-lease with a residual of around 10k on a three year lease. Keeping in mind the unreliabilty of this vehicle, I am planning to buy extended warranty. Do you think its a good idea to re-lease?

Or I should let it go and lease a new 2004 4Runner instead?

suggestions?
    1) How much total will you be paying for the 36 months? Add 10K on that, and that's how much you're paying for a 3 year old ML320. Compare that to the cost of a new 4Runner.
    2) How un-reliable has it been? An extended warranty will cost you about $2500.
    3) Do you want to keep driving a used MB or drive a new Toyota?
  • bhana1bhana1 Member Posts: 12
    I am interested in buying a 2003 ML-500 (new). My dealer does not have it but can get it from an out of state dealership. He has told me that this may cost him an extra $500 to $700 and would be added to the selling price. Do you think this is a fair price or is the dealer trying to make extra profit?
    If the dealer is having a car shipped from another dealer to his dealership for you, then it is a legitimate expense. $700 sounds a bit steep, although it would depend on the distance. There is also the possibility that the two dealerships are trading allocations for inbound cars. I don't know what (if any) expenses would be incurred in this case, but I would think they would be much less.

Keep in mind that dealerships trade cars all the time, and they negotiate shipping expenses depending on the desirability of the model. So the actual cost to the dealership may be widely variable.

Like all aspects of car buying, you can negotiate this charge. If you really wanted a car sitting somewhere else and you've already negotiated them down to their bottom line offer, I'd see if they'd bring the car in for $250 or so which probably more closely reflects their actual expense.

BTW, if the car you want is sitting on a far-away lot, I'd inquire about its current mileage. It may be a demo unit or may have been used for extensive test drives. When you buy a car off the dealer's lot, you can drive it and see the mileage, but if the car is shipped to you, then you don't know unless you ask.

My understanding is that ML500s are currently in plentiful supply with aggressive discounts. If possible, I'd shop other dealers, modify your color/option preference, or accept a longer wait to get the car you want shipped directly to your dealer with nominal mileage rather than paying this fee and buying a car that has been sitting on another dealer's lot for awhile.

- Mark
  • seattleml320seattleml320 Member Posts: 11
    ctic,
    1) I will be paying around 14k for 3 years, a new 4-runner will cost around 30k on average.
    2) I'd say it had not been that reliable, but everything that was done was taken care of by the warranty, my assumption is the extended warranty should relieve me from that worry.
    3) I am undecided on this question, I have not test driven the 4-runner yet, but I do like my MB.
    Thank you for the information.
  • smd5smd5 Member Posts: 18
    I am considering the purchase of an 01 or 02 ML 320 or an 01 ML 430. Any thoughts on the differences between the two, performance, fuel economy, ride? I have owned MB's for years but never an ML, I know that they have been problematic, anything in particular I should look for? Any significant difference in quality between 01 and 02?
    On the 320 vs. 430 question, most reviews think the V6 is a little better balanced and handles better. It has slightly smaller wheels/tires (the ML is a bit "over-tired" to give it the husky look - MB engineeers have acknowledged that the ML has larger wheels/tires than it really needs for best performance) and less weight in the nose. It also gets better gas mileage. I regularly get close to 20 mpg from my 320 even with a fair amount of stop-n-go driving.

The V8 will shine if you tow, carry loads, or do a lot of mountain driving. But it's hard on gas and is more clumsy.

Most folks think later is better on model years - MB made steady improvements over the years. But you have to balance this against the cost. I'm not aware of detail improvements from 2001 to 2002 - I think the big changes occurred in 2003 with the ML350 and ML500.

- Mark
    Thanks for your feedback. How has the reliability been for your 320?
    I have owned a 1999 ML430 going for four years now and it has been trouble free.
    Love the ride and precision steering, the suspension is on the stiff side but it was designed so for off road handling.
    The bigger tires on the V8 are there to take advantage of the bigger engine, the differentials on the V8 have less reduction than the V6.
    There is no specific problem area other than the infamous fuel pump and the window switches and the recall on the steering hose clamp.
    Other than that an issue can arise at random, most of them are the cheese components that Mercedes sub contracted and installed on the ML and gave all the bad publicity and with a reason.
    I can’t speak for newer models since I never drove one, I know the year after mine they added extra insulation and are quieter than the 98 and 99’s.
    I have towed real heavy weights with my ML and is a work horse, they are built strong, had they gone the extra mile and made sure everything that went in there was first class they would have a winner, IMO.
    I agree with Mark, they have made many upgrades since they first launched the vehicle.
    My 2000 ML320 has not been troublefree by any stretch, but none of the problems have been disabling and MB has been very responsive about fixing things under warranty. The basic engine, drivetrain, suspension, etc. seem very robust, but there tend to be a lot of accessory and electrical glitches. I recently have a stalling problem under high temps/loads - the dealer had it for several days with the factory rep. They finally decided it was a crankshaft position sensor, but it sure felt like a fuel pump problem to me. We'll see.

If dealing with car issues bothers you, I'd go for a Japanese SUV - it is hard to beat the reliability of SUVs like the Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander, and Nissan Pathfinder. OTOH, I think a late-model ML will do better than a X5, XC90, or Touareg.

I'm soldiering on outside of warranty with my eyes wide open. I really like the truck (and German vehicles in general - I've got a Mini on order), but would like it a lot more if I have no further problems.

- Mark
    "The basic engine, drivetrain, suspension, etc. seem very robust, but there tend to be a lot of accessory and electrical glitches."

That's true of all MB vehicles, and not just the ML.
    "The basic engine, drivetrain, suspension, etc. seem very robust, but there tend lot of accessory and electrical glitches." to be a

That is exactly what I was talking about “cheese subcomponents” dammed why cant they just buy better and problem solved.
    Whoever got our '00 ML430 got a pefectly maintained vehicle and the best truck we ever owned until the ML500 that replaced it. Nothing against the 320-engine because we enjoy it in a C-class and I know it is a great powerplant but I'd be tempted to go for the V8. The 430 is what does so well every year in the Paris to Dakar romp in the dunes.

The ML430 will have bigger, better brakes. I do not know about balance, but for us, the ride was better in '00 and '03 when we did the V6/V8 comparison (probably because of the difference in power).

And, the 275s on all four corners are awesome and contribute to give the V8's better wet surface stopping distance than any other ~5K lb. vehicle. The V6's higher profile tires would be better for offroad but I think the V8's lower profile tires offer better handling for our kind of driving.

The newer year may have some good features worth considering though, e.g, when were side head airbags introduced? Our ML may have been the only truck in '00 to have side airbags for both front and back passengers but side-head bags came later. Also, the air conditioning system was improved after '00--was it '01 or '02 (look to see if it has two fans in front of the radiator--if so, it's the older system)? When was the gas tank volume increased from 19 gallons to 22? And, the rain-sensing wipers and the center cupholder were added sometime after '00--they are convenient features too.

The mileage probably is better for the 320 unless you have a lot of hills in your travel routes but the 430 makes towing easy and comes with GPS.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Side curtain airbags came out with the 2002 model. That year brought many changes (supposedly over 1,100 components were different). There was a mild facelift as well.
    The lower-profile and larger tires on the 430/500 do give up a little ride quality and off-road capabilities in return for crisper pavement handling. I think it all depends on whether you are interested in an SUV to drive aggressively on pavement or are more interested in utility out of the vehicle.

My comment about the bigger wheels of the 430 not necessarily being desirable is based on John Lamm's M-Class book that states: "... the 255-65-16 tires are probably a bit larger than Mercedes' engineers woudl prefer. In Europe the M-Class has 225/75-16s, but Americans like bigger tires on their SUVs."

Additional, Consumer Reports has stated in their reviews, "The V8-powered ML500 accelerates faster but rides less comfortably and is thirstier for premium fuel." They further conclude, "The Mercedes ML430 V8 is a very capable and well-rounded vehicle. Handling is secure, braking is good, and the interior is bigger than it appears. But we actually prefer the six-cylinder ML320, which handles better, offers more comfort, and costs about $7,000 less."

If you want/need more power than the V6 provides, then certainly the 430/500 is the vehicle of choice. But don't fall into the trap of always thinking bigger is universally better.

- Mark
    All - Your feedback has been awesome! The 320 sounds like a better bet for me. Can I get that book by John Lamm at any bookstore? Now all I have to do is find the right one and move my wife's E Class....

Thanks
    It's available through both amazon.com and motorbooks.com. B&N sometimes carry it.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0760304319/qid=1067- 963955/sr=8-8/ref=sr_8_8/104-2179217-4307144?v=glance&n=50784- 6

If this doesn't work, but try a search by author for "John Lamm".

The book is wonderful book on how the M-Class was developed, but it is highly pro-ML - it reads like a printed infomercial - it reminds me of the "Test Drives" that appear on the Speed Channel. If they haven't updated it, it is highly out of date as well as it appeared when the car first shipped and the version doesn't cover any of the changes or developments post the original 98/99 models. IOW, it's an interesting book but neither objective nor comprehensive. Great photography.

- Mark
  • allnationallnation Member Posts: 18
    My 2004 ML350 didn't come with a navigation. I am trying to buy one from a dealer. From what I read so far, ML350's are all pre-wired and need ONLY one dvd navigation unit. It seems like it will only take a few min. to install. But not sure how much dealer would charge.

Has anyone done this to newer ML350?

Do you know the part # for the dvd unit?

Do you think I can install it?
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    The price should be around $1k for a new DVD NAV drive. It's cheaper on eBay. Yes, the new MLs are prewired. You don't have to buy extra components.

To install, you will need to buy a set of "keys" to pull out the MCS. You can buy them from eBay or the dealer. A pair of keys should be around $10-15. The install is very easy. Get your radio code handy, cuz you will need to disconnect the MCS power source. Once you pull out the MCS, open up the cover. There are 4 screws holding the top cover. Pop in the DVD drive, connect the cable, and push the MCS back to the slot. That's all.

On the old MLs, it's necessary to version code the MCS to make it "talk". I was told that it's not necessary for new MLs. I'm not 100% sure on this. You may want to check with the dealer. Even without the version code, your NAV will still work. The only thing you miss is the voice guidence.
  • fourrunnerfourrunner Member Posts: 17
    My 99 ML320 is having Power steering fluid leak from rack and pinoin system. I got an estimate for about $2000 for parts and labor. Can any one comment about this problem and cost? I know it is an old ML (if you call five years is old) but I really didn't expect this kind of problem from MB in such a short time frame. Thanks for the feedback.
  • allnationallnation Member Posts: 18
    OK. Thanks! I am gonna self-install this sucker(once I buy an unit). Anyone knows where to buy DVD-ROM, the map disc at a low cost?

Thanks everyone!
  • vdmboyvdmboy Member Posts: 2
    Anyone seen this one? The Bose system in my 2000 ML55, "locks" up - stays on the same station - AM 680, won't turn off, won't adjust volume, won't change channel, won't switch to NAVI, TAPE, etc. The only way to fix is to pull fuse (its still good, not blown), restart car and enter radio code.

Also, the BOSE system will just go completely off while in use, with the solution , again, pull the fuse (still a good fuse), re-start engine, re-enter security code for radio. A real pain. It seems to happen when I use the cruise control , but I cannot re-create the problem by trying to re-create it, it just happens randomly.

The dealer, of course, typed out two sheets of the mechanics opinion, trying to convince me it was my problem, and the system was fine. Its happening with some frequency

Help!!
    Thanks
    The TMV for 03 ML 500 with or without options is close to the invoice ( approx $200 more the the invoice). Does anyone know if this is before the rebates or after the rebates. Thanks in advance.