Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Many dealers are already taking orders (though at MSRP, which is still not known for the base vehicle). I've seen orders placed for April-June delivery, so it's quite soon.

Option pricing is available. If the base vehicle goes up by $1k, an equipped ML350 will be $52k-$56k. A more modestly equipped one will be lower. You can even go higher than $57k if you add every option. It looks like MB is stepping into the higher price class. However, the features of the new vehicle are great.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I've read this thread for quite some time now and judging by the problems and complaints posted on the current ML, I wondered if anyone here would even have any interest in the new model. Have there been a lot of people pre-ordering the new ML? Are there any satisfied current ML owners who plan to get a 2006 model? I'm just trying to see what the general reaction has been to the new ML. At the Detroit Auto Show there was little to no interest. Having the MLs locked didn't help matters either.

M
    I know on another MB forum that I follow, a few current M-class owners (but only a few) have already placed orders. OTOH the vehicle hasn't even been released yet.

While the M-class is statistically more susceptible to problems, there are plenty of owners who seem quite happy with their vehicle (and certainly some owners or former owners who would never buy one again).

MB does seem to have taken a lot of pains to address some of the prior criticisms. The quality of materials seems to be at least a step or two above the current generation. The vehicle is now a unibody, with offroading enhancements in a separate option package.

Supposedly MB has taken more steps to improve the vehicle's overall parts and assembly quality. But only time will tell.

I'm certainly interested in it, but I suspect it's out of my affordability level. For less than I can buy a fairly well optioned ML350, I could buy an XC90 V8. Comparable safety, a somewhat weaker but more than adequate AWD system, less luxury, but with a third row (not available on the 2006 M-class, who knows if it'll be added in later model years), and an engine more comparable to the current ML500's.
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    After I sold my 1999 ML320, I wasnt really going to get another M-Class. The new diesel option is making me think about it. I lived in Europe for a while and I can really appreciate the Torque and milage of diesels. I'll probably wait for the longer wheelbase 3 seater version. One thing is certain, I will definitely pay the extra for the extended warranty from mercedes. W
  • hifk1hifk1 Member Posts: 2
    i have owned my 2003 ml 500 for a year.i have logged 20.000 miles and it now has 40000miles.i only got 15000 miles on first set of tires were continentals which were installed by dealer.now i have dunlops and it seems these are wearing quick also.can any tell me which brand would last longer than these.i know v rated tires go quicker but only 15000 miles? i love my ml 500 for its power and looks.only few problems drivers seat overheating,headlamp get fogged up and brakes and rotors you only get 30.000 miles
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    At 35K, the original Dunlops on my ML320 were shot so I replaced them with Michelin LTX M&S tires on the recommendations of many. These are great tires. Now with 35K miles they look about 1/3 to 1/2 worn. A friend of mine has over 80K on these tires on his Explorer and they are still going.

http://www.michelinman.com/catalog/tires/MichelinLTXMS.html?tiret- ype=6&tire=0

- Mark
  • hankhillhankhill Member Posts: 3
    I've bought some pasture land for grazing cattle. Looking to buy an SUV for driving out in the pasture. Can the ML 320 handle the task? How much ground cdlearance does it have?
  • hifk1hifk1 Member Posts: 2
    thanks markjenn.i try michelin tires next time.
  • lizclizc Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I'm desperate for some information on the NEW ML in diesel. All US dealers I've talked to are telling me, they're only taking orders for the V8 and a V6 and no diesel. However, i know that the european diesel versions will be made at the Alabama plant as well (for Europe). But how can I go about ordering the new ML in the US in the diesel? the 280CDI??? Thanks for any info you can offer!
    there's talk of a diesel for the NEW ML??? do you have ANY info on this? all the dealers keep talling me only V8 and V6 are gonna be available in the US...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Not much talk about the new ML's in the Future Vehicles discussion. Apparently the MB Turbo is one of the best engines out there:

moparbad, "Diesels in the News" #6, 5 Feb 2005 2:20 pm

Steve, Host
    The M-class has been available in Europe for a while with a diesel. Emissions and other factors have kept it from coming to North America.

This Autoweek article claims that a diesel will be available in the M-class in 2006 (not this year), but only in 45 states where it can meet those states' emissions laws. California and New York would be two of the five states where it wouldn't be available.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101581

If it does happen, there are apparently at least two engine choices. They currently produce between 325-376 lbs/ft of torque, 188-221 hp, but might be tuned differently in the U.S.
    Thanks so much for that autoweek link. Do you have ANY idea on when exactly in 2006 they'll start taking orders for the NEW version of the ML in diesel then? will it be maybe already in the fall of 2005? ALso, do you know anything about buying a European spec version of it in the US for possible shipment to Europe? (that's where I live) I know they're available in Europe in diesel now, but prices are much lower in the US...Thank you for any information you can offer!
    Forget about importing an European Spec cars. Very expensive and time consuming. When I moved back from England. I wanted to bring back a Landrover Defender 110 Diesel. I did a lot of reasearch and it's not practical.
    Unfortunately, there is no accurate word on precisely when in 2006 the diesel will be in North America. It's all speculation at this point.

I'm not familiar with exporting a U.S. vehicle built to European spec, to Europe, sorry.
    I think lizc is asking about buying a European spec vehicle in the U.S. and then bringing it into Europe. As opposed to bringing over a European spec vehicle into the U.S.

I can't imagine MB would make it easy, for obvious reasons.
    right, i was asking about bringing a european spec version from the US to Europe. but regardless of that...if anyone has any word on the diesel ML in 2006, i would love any info. Thank you!
  • raiderdt74raiderdt74 Member Posts: 4
    do not have my owners manual..and when i startbthe car,,i get a wrench and a -7000 blinking on the msgindicator,,and then it disappears,,should i panic?,,cuz the vehicle runs great...the dealer i bought it from says its been service but im worried..help!
    Gray market cars are a pain to fix when they break. Parts may not be available in North America, meaning a long down time while you are waiting for something to be shipped. The warranty won't be honored here either.

Not to mention hassles trying to import it; it may not meet EPA or some specific safety regs.

Steve, Host
  • accordfreakaccordfreak Member Posts: 39
    Seems like the R-class is MB's answer to 7 passengers, but I can't seem to find out if they're going to have them in the new M. Anyone know? Also what do dealers say the new M is due in NJ?
    My limited understanding is that the 2006 M-class is NOT being released with a third-row option. And it probably won't be available in 2006.

And there is even an open question of "if ever." There had been talk about alternative classes for third rows, or a stretched W164 (new M-class platform) chassis.

The odd thing about it is that the W164 is bigger than the W163, yet the W163 has a third row option.

One purely speculative theory is that MB wants to make sure there is no intrusion into the third row in severe rear-end collisions, and that the new unibody design may make this more difficult without increasing the overall size of the vehicle. Again, this is purely speculative and may be totally wrong. The Volvo XC90 supposedly has very strong measures to protect against third-row intrusion and does this with its unibody-based platform.

Unfortunately, even if a buyer doesn't need a third row, lacking one puts the M-class more in Touareg/RX330 competitor territory than some other vehicles it competes with. Supposedly the next X5 will have a third row.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    The UK-based Mercedes Enthusiast magazine is searching for an ML55 AMG owner as part of a feature on the M-Class. It would only involve answering a few questions and sending us a photo of you & your car - not a lot but we'd appreciate it and you get to see your name in print!

Wherever you live, if you're interested or know someone who might be, send an e-mail to jfallon@edmunds.com.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ripleyiiiripleyiii Member Posts: 10
    Here in California we have two license plates, and I never installed the front one until a kind police officer reminded me that it should be done. (I have a ML500 '02.) My "fix it" ticket is coming due soon.
    So Mercedes kindly sold me the front moulding that fits my model for a mere $90. (Primed, I had to paint it myself. What do you expect for $90..?) But no attaching hardware or any kind of instructions came with it.
    Has anyone ever attached one of these before? There are dots on the front bumper to indicate where the moulding is to be attached, but with what? I doubt I could get inside or behind the bumper to attach a nut. It's really frustrating.
    Typically you drill a pilot hole in the bumper and use a self-tapping screw, like a sheet metal screw. MB has them if you can't find the right thing at Home Depot.

- Mark
  • ripleyiiiripleyiii Member Posts: 10
    Thanks, Mark. Well, that doesn't surprise me. There's probably no other way of attaching something to a hard plastic bumper with no access to the inside. I just didn't want to deal with the concept of drilling into it, but drill I will.

- Don
    I worried about drilling the bumper on my last new car, but did it anyway. Later, I took the plate off for a period and was able to cover the holes with some small circles of colored tape. It looked better than the dimples.

- Mark
    I got this from another site, its all but confirmed:

Release date is March 21, 2005

ML350: $39,750
    ML500: $48,500

M
    "Eight years and a whole lotta competition later, Mercedes has finally readied that truck's successor. The 2006 Mercedes-Benz ML350 and 2006 ML500 are more powerful, handle better and offer more features."

The Second Coming of the First Luxury SUV (Inside Line)

And here's just the thing to toss up on the roof:

Mercedes Introduces New Automatic Transmission — For Bikes

Maybe the dealers will start tossing the bike in to sweeten the deals?

Steve, Host
  • xmf314xmf314 Member Posts: 154
    "Mercedes Introduces New Automatic Transmission-For Bikes"

What's next - BMW introducing a new bike with I-drive?
    That would explain the massive pile up on the bike path!

First the BMW owners have to learn how to unfold them though:

(link)

Steve, Host
  • bikerider58bikerider58 Member Posts: 3
    Mark,

Do I need the special tool to disconnect the fuel lines? It's time for a filter change on my 2000 ML.
    Bikerider, I haven't done it personally - the dealer did it because I was having them do the TSB to upgrade the fuel filter.

Typically, you can get these high pressure clamps off with screwdriver and cutters, but you're supposed to use a special clamp tool to put them back on. Sorry, don't have any better info.

- Mark
    Anyone here get an invite to preview the new M-Class at their local dealer this week?

M
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Merc1, no, I didn't get and invitation to preview the new ML but I did get a solicitation to pre-order a new ML. I might consider one at the end of this year when I trade my 2002 ML500. A couple of other SUV's have popped to the top of my list.

Also, I want to the see the larger "R" class. The new 2006 ML will not offer a third seat option. I have it in my 2002 and it really comes in handy.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • sg888sg888 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same probl. with my 2000 ML55 and my manuel does not explain it how to reset, I do turn off the ign. and somes times it appers again.Would ypou please how to reset it.
  • michael10michael10 Member Posts: 29
    I visited the NY auto show yesterday and stopped by the to ask the Mercedes contact a few questions about any information she had about a diesel option for the ML. She had absolutely NO info, not they are in discussion, maybe next year, its just a rumor, Nothing! and she did say a lot of people were asking her about this. How can she have NO response? Her answer was I do not know. You would think if you are going to have a representative on site she should at least have some useful information about the vehicle.

On a separate note, the new ML did look very nice inside and out.
  • chumsaechumsae Member Posts: 61
    If she was very good looking I'd overlook
    her ignorance about the cars.
    Has anyone here tested the new ML yet?

M
    I haven't tested the ML yet but I heard a funny story yesterday. A very good friend of mine who lives in the state of Illinois has a very good friend who works at a "multi-line" dealer.

Two new ML's were delivered at the dealership and one sold quickly. The new owner brought it back the next day complaining that the brakes were not working correctly. The new ML owner had to really step on the brake pedal to get the vehicle to stop.

The dealer found that the brake assist was not installed. After the shock wore off, they decided to take the brake assist off of the other new one so that the customer would not have to wait for the part to be ordered. They found it to be missing too. The dealer called another Mercedes dealer who also just had two new ML's delivered and both of those didn't have the brake assist installed.

Somebody was asleep on the assembly line in Tuscaloosa, AL!

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • untrueuntrue Member Posts: 18
    Ridiculous! The brake assist only helps in EMERGENCY braking situations. This is a troll posting lies....
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    mark156 did not say the lack of brake assist was causing the braking problem. He simply stated that the dealer found it to be missing. Let's not be so hasty to jump on others.

tidester, host
    I promise, I'm not trolling. If I hear any more info on the new ML story, I'll pass it on.

Mark
  • tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    Yep, drove it and liked it...The packaging of options blows though. The sport package includes an interior made up of alcantara and MB tex.... aka vinyl... seats. You cannot get a full leather interior unless you spend $50k. The "comfort" package includes leather inserts for the front seats only, vinyl for coach class.
    I cannot believe the poor gas mileage with the 7-speed transmission. The epa is 16/20.
    For what it is worth, the brakes worked just fine...
    Stopped by my local Mercedes dealer today and they had 5 new ML's. Having a 2002 ML500, I still would like to have the 3rd seat. As all of you know, the third seat will not be offered on the 2006 ML, it will be in the new "R-class". But, the "R-class" will be a six passenger... with three rows of bucket seats (two in each row). So, I'll wait to see what it looks like when it comes out.

I most likely will trade at the end of this year for a 2006 SUV or wagon. The Range Rover LR3 is a strong contender as is the R-class, Lincoln Navigator and maybe the large Lexus SUV if they update the style.

Mark
    I think MB is making a big mistake by not offering a third row option for the new M-class. Going to the R-class is not a practical option for many buyers. The R-class has three rows but only accommodates one more passenger, with its 2+2+2 seating. It has no off-road pretensions and is big -- longer than an S-class. It's likely to be significantly more expensive than the M-class too.
    wmquan, what bothers me about the R-class is that it might look too close to the Chrysler Pacifica. If it looks even the slightest bit like the Chrysler, it's a goner in my book.

I agree, I wish the ML would offer the third seat. Even though it takes up a good bit of space with the side hanging seats, it sure comes in handy when you need them. I keep my ML at my California home and it is mandatory that everyone be in a seat belt by law.

I was stopped once when I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee; a friend jumped in the back area because there were six of us and only seating for five. The policeman said he wouldn't give us a ticket this time (saw out of state plates) but just to be careful because everyone must be in a seatbelt.

That's why a third seat is a top priority for me.

Mark
    Mark,

Looks are of course subjective. But I think the R-class looks like some strange hybrid of a Pacifica, a long wagon, and a minivan, IMHO. While it's based on a stretched 2006 M-class platform, it drops the SUV pretense.

http://www.mbusa.com/microsite/gst/index.jsp

As for why the new M-class doesn't have a third row, I guess there are a few theories.

1) MB will offer it eventually, just not upon introduction.

2) With the new unibody construction, MB couldn't figure out a way to place the third row in a mid-sized SUV, and still achieve the safety level they require in their designs. The current M-class's frame is designed to withstand a very large amount of impact without letting the third row collapse. Perhaps they couldn't do this with the new M-class. OTOH, Volvo seems to have pulled it off with the XC90. So this reasoning is purely conjecture and I don't necessarily believe it.

3) MB doesn't want to hurt sales of the R-class.

4) MB doesn't want to hurt sales of the next-gen G-class, which is also based on a stretched 2006 M-class platform.

5) Various combinations of the above.

Looking at the pricing, it seems that a fairly well-equipped 2006 will cost about $4k more than the previous one. Scheduled maintenance is not included so that hurts too. ML350's with options will cost $50k to $57k depending on how well you load it up. That's pretty high pricing territory.
    The third row option was one of the key reasons why I bought my ML320. From what I have read they are going to offer an extended wheelbase ML with the 3rd row seating. This may be better as you can get a really usable 3rd row vs squeezing a 3rd row only for marketing.
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    My take on the 3rd-row issue is that MB will position the next G-Class to be the larger 3-row vehicle. The ML, RX, etc. are now considered to be sedan-replacements for many families, so the 3rd row seems to only make sense in a vehicle that can fit ordinary-sized humans back there.

Who in their right mind wants to stuff themselves into the 3rd row of a standard-sized SUV? If you need the extra seating, then there are the GM Suburban twins, Ford trucks (Expedition, Excursion - not much longer for this beast) and the like. My guess is that MB will position the G-Class for the upwardly mobile types that want the top-of-the-range regardless of family size, or need the G to handle the kiddies.

Ingress/egress is tough enough in the larger SUV's... can't image negotiating the hurdles to crawl into the back of an ML-sized vehicle :P
    Who in their right mind wants to stuff themselves into the 3rd row of a standard-sized SUV?
    Ingress/egress is tough enough in the larger SUV's... can't image negotiating the hurdles to crawl into the back of an ML-sized vehicle

Yet people brave the confined third-row seats of GX470's, XC90's, MDX's, Pilots, Highlanders, and the current-model M-class. For many of these buyers, the third row is used for kids (who don't mind the cramped quarters) and for short trips when everyone crowds into a vehicle. For many, the third row is unused the majority of the time, but is needed on occasions. They don't care if the third row doesn't have the legroom of a R-class. These buyers don't want something as ponderous as a full-sized SUV, and don't need the size of a minivan. They certainly don't want to pay the extra premium of an R-class or a G-class.