Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• aaaedgarpoeaaaedgarpoe Member Posts: 107
    I was there to day at noon. I drove two ML-350s; one on each course. Great acceleration, handeling, breaking. The first one had on the digital display '7.6 mpg' and the second had '7.3 mpg'. I hope that is not what I think it is.
  • slick4slick4 Member Posts: 1
    Don not know about the package but the liftgate power is wonderful accessory with any hatchback especially as to reach and back issues.
  • godzillagodzilla Member Posts: 1
    fellow members,

look'n to purchase new ml350. can anyone give me some feedback regarding air suspension and does it really boost it's handling to bmw x5 level. (rumored) furthermore, i heard air suspension is more costly to repair as opposed to conventional shocks, true or blatant lie?????? thanks for your time.
  • jdaijdai Member Posts: 1
    A MSRP 47940 2006 ML350 with packages I paid 46940 2 days ago.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    I don't know about whether it's on the X5's level, but at least one early auto review, and a friend of mine who has driven a few W164's, both report that the air suspension significantly improves the vehicle's handling. I haven't verified this myself but this is probably true. Apparently, without the air suspension, the vehicle can feel "floaty" in curves. Not like, say, an RX330, but definitely more floaty than the current M-class.

I can't comment on maintenance costs, sorry.
  • eelpouteelpout Member Posts: 32
    Could someone who has or who has access to a 2006 do me a favor and measure the height and width of the cargo space opening and also the length of the cargo floor with the 2nd seat down?
    thanks!
  • kcml320kcml320 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    I have a 98 ML320 with 83k. In the past week this problem has happened 2x.After a short drive and then letting it sit. It starts fine and when starting to accelerate at a slow speed it just dies!!!! It will still turn over (fast)..battery is good but will not start for 10mins or so(just cranks) and then it will start again!!!! I checked all my fuses and they seem ok..Never had this happen before, could it be something on its way out ie: fuel pump or something electrical? Can someone point me in a direction before I bring it to a repair shop....Thanks Kevin
  • tomjavatomjava Member Posts: 136
    My guess is fuel pump, a very common problem on 98 and 99 ML.

Good Luck
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    It's typically a fuel pump or crankshaft position sensor, both have been problematic. If it happens again, you might try opening the fuel cap and/or rapping the bottom of the fuel tank with a hammer - if either of these immediately allows a restart, it's the pump or fuel filter.

You also want to be sure to you are doing the regular fuel filter replacement at 60K intervals. If you haven't had the fuel pump filter upgrade, you'll either have to find an old-style filter sitting around, or upgrade to the new one - there's a TSB out on this.

Good luck,

- Mark
  • samusamu Member Posts: 8
    I am looking into a ml350 new design and just wanted to know what other people are paying for this car. Any option config is ok and any help is greatly appreciated. thanks.
    On other message forums, people have been paying anywhere from a few hundred over invoice to full MSRP. It seems to depend on what area you're in and the flexibility of the dealer.

IMHO, even if your area isn't providing great discounts at model introduction, you'll likely get it if you wait several months into the first model year. Those dealerships are trying to max out their profit and are hoping the allure of a brand new model will command MSRP pricing.

But supply won't be an issue with the new SUV, and its pricing is quite high if you stack on a decent amount of options. There is a ton of competition out there, as well as the fact that some MB dealers are already offering above-invoice pricing on introduction.

I predict that MB will be forced to issue incentives on this vehicle sometime in its second year, leading to below-invoice pricing.

BTW, a lot of initial reports (including the June 2005 Car & Driver review) highly recommend purchasing the optional air suspension for about $2k. C&D absolutely hated the stock suspension, saying it "alarmingly" had a lot of roll in corners and a very uncomfortable ride on poor roads. They said the air suspension corrects most of these issues.
  • nikkynikky Member Posts: 2
    My 99 ML320 with 120k had this problem at approximately 110K. It presented the same fact pattern. The dealership and others indicated that it was a mass air sensor. In fact, the same problem occurred in my 96 E320. They changed the sensor and I haven't had problems (knock on wood). MIKE
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Seeking to build customer loyalty, upscale brands Lexus and Mercedes-Benz last week unveiled their new affinity credit cards."

Lexus and Mercedes-Benz Launch Credit Cards (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • tt30tt30 Member Posts: 31
    David,

My '99 ML320 engine failed at 77K miles, so I will not be surprised if your engine needs to be rebuild. There is a class action settlement regarding ML320 1999-2001 according to whick MB should cover this issue. Please feel free to contact me offlist if you need details.

:sick:
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Any 2006 M-Class owners here that have anything to say yet?

M
  • mike63mike63 Member Posts: 1
    Picking up my wife's 2006 ml350 on Wednesday. I'll post review then. Seemed very nice on the test drive. Plenty of power and great transmission. It was a little soft in the corners without the air suspension (we didn't drive one with the air suspension).
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    I dropped my 2002 ML500 off at the dealer yesterday for some minor adjustments ..
    I now have almost 41,000 miles on the truck.

1) gas pedal has become "sticky" again.

2) a chirping noise comes from the steering column/dash area when I turn the key. Happens only on cool mornings.... it's not the belt reminder or key buzzer. They ordered a part for that.

3) The windshield washer fluid has started to leak out.

Because I am about 2,300 miles from my "B" service, they are going to perform that service.

They also informed me that I need new brakes front and back. They also said that I must have new rotors installed all of the way around and that my rotors cannot be "machined". The service guy told me that ML's usually need to be replaced at every brake job. The total cost of the brake job.... $1,100.

I told the service guy (not the one I had before, this is a new guy) not to do the brakes because at 18,000 miles, they told me my back brakes were going out so "like an idiot" I said OK ($250), well, I now have 23,000 miles on the back brakes and they are not out yet, but close. I told the service guy that I think they replaced the back brakes too soon.

When he was looking up my records, he said that the previous service guy told me that I needed new brakes for the front at 26,000 miles. I told him that I told the previous guy NOT to do it. So, I am needing them now but the "brake pad warning light" has not come on. I told him what is the light for if we need to change pads before the light comes on?

I also asked him why did they tell me that I needed new front brakes at 26,000 miles if I'm at 41,000 and I'm still on the same brakes. He asked me if I had them changed somewhere else, I said no. He couldn't believe I had the same brakes and said most people change them at 20,000 miles.

I called the service shop where I take my antique car (they work on all types/makes/models/years) and to give me a price on replacing the brakes on the ML. They are at $1,080 for the same job. But, the indepentent shop guy says that ML rotors can be turned but he would let me know if I have enough allowance for it to be done.

I have had good luck with this shop in the past. Even though they aren't much cheaper than my Mercedes dealer, I am NOT going to reward my dealer for trying to PUSH expensive service jobs on me. I'm taking it to the private shop next week.

(stepping off my soap box).... I feel better now. Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    "And they are platforms for bringing innovations -- things like a seven-speed automatic transmission, a non-traditional gear shifter and headlights that turn when the steering wheel does -- closer to the mainstream luxury market."

Mercedes revamps M-Class for 2006 (Mercury News - sorry, registration required to read the article).

Steve, Host
  • nileshnilesh Member Posts: 5
    yes,i have a 2006 ml350.great car-already put 2600 miles.excellent accelaretion,comfort,great sporty looks.bought with the premium package and comfort package.drove to IDAHO from california -- 1500 miles in 2 days--no problems and great comfort.The transmission is smooth and easy to operate.
    i bought the iridium silver with ash interior.the inside lighting in the premium package is great.the accelaration of 268 hp combined with 7 speed transmission is great.The shifts are very smooth and before you realise the speed reaches 80 miles/hr in fraction of time.i love the sporty look.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    yes i did say sporty.Get a closer look at those SUV-s in the market-you will realise this is better than most of them .this one has the power and the look.
    http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/outside/5840/?requestedDocId=5840

Fool me once, shame on you ... fool me twice, shame on me.

After all the hype about MB better managing its U.S. suppliers to improve quality, there's a recall on a part that has been the subject of recalls on the previous model?

So if it fails, you lose power steering capability and have to struggle to get the vehicle safely off the road, and then wait for roadside assistance to come out and replace it?

At least 2006 owners don't have to go back to the dealership for this. And realistically the clamp wouldn't fail for some time, as experienced by the previous model owners who had this problem.

A new ~$55k vehicle is felled by a $2 part that's been known to have problems before.

The humiliation continues ...
  • svinaiksvinaik Member Posts: 84
    It is obvious that you are loving what you bought but I do not know which SUV's are you comparing with. If you are comparing with Lexus . Fords.. yes it is better.. if you are comparing with Cayenne / FX.. new ML (164) is a korean looking box. It is certainly better drive feel vs. the previous ML (163) but is no match to Cay../ FX

I test drove the new ML 500 but can not figure out what is so great vs. CayS while the pricing certainly is. I have the fortune of owning the Cay S as well as ML 500 (MY 2003) and do know the pros & cons of old ML / new ML & Cayenne.

New ML has not given me any reason to get out of 163 and that is mostly because I do not like the looks. New ML is definitely better drive feel vs. old.. that's all to it's credit but price is way too steep now.

Don't worry about the discussions / arguments. If you are enjoying what you bought, then that's all that matters. I wish you years of driving pleasure and safe driving.
  • bon_bonbon_bon Member Posts: 20
    Has anyone used the Subscription service ? Is it worth it ?

I need the New Engaland CD for 2005. Is anyone willing to share ?

Thanks,

Bon Bob
  • dragoondragoon Member Posts: 1
    Mark,
    I have a 2000 ML320 and experienced some of the same problems.
    1.) The vehicle was a preowned "certified" by M-B. Well, when I took it for an independent assessment, I went to a local mechanic who races BWMs. He noted that the accelerator was "sticky." Took it to Mercedes, they found that two parts were bad. So much for "certified."
    2.) Full engine rebuild at 47,000 miles. High oil consumption.
    3.) Your driving habits, tires, terrain, all play a part in brake wear. However, when I was having the dealer do the service, I was pinged on brakes every 15-20K miles. And when I reminded them that the front ones were just changed 3K miles ago, they said, "oh, right...the back ones are bad now." So once again, I went to my local mechanic. Brakes were ok. When he did replace them, he highly recommended replacing the rotors because they are made from a soft compound. Don't risk your life over a few dollars! I use Brembos now. Cheaper cost then MB, and works great. Oh, and he assesses the amount of wear, so I will know when to replace them. Yes, I did the $900 +/- dealer brakes once a year. Now my mechanic does them for less then half that price, and monitors them.

Glad to hear you found a private shop that can service your car. Oh- I got almost 50K out of my last front brakes and rotors. Like I said, there are a lot of factors to consider when it comes to brake life.

Now if I didn't have to replace the gas cap every three years, I would be happy!
    This over-zealous brake replacement regimen recommended by the dealers has been discussed here and elsewhere before. I believe it is simply the dealers being EXTREMELY conservative about brake replacement with the desired side effect of keeping their service bays full of high-profit brake jobs.

I replaced my front pads 20K miles ago and didn't even turn the rotors, let alone replace them. They were smooth, mic'd within tolerances, and the new pads worked fine with them. I will not machine the MB rotors. If they look good and mic within tolerances, I'll just replace pads at $70 per axle. If not, I'll replace rotors too at $90 per axle. Even with replacing everything front/rear, the total cost of parts is about $320. The dealer charges for these brake jobs are just out of line.

- Mark
  • dsorendsoren Member Posts: 3
    The plastic covers that pop off on the face of the bumper hide 2 10 mmbolts, and the center cover that is removed for the hitch hides 2 other bolts. After removing theses, pull straight back on the cover and it will come off. :D
    "Mercedes has gone back to the ML drawing board and come away with a total package that offers much to recommend itself. A brightened and refined cabin, spacious cargo bay and a solid if not exciting powertrain combine to make the ML350 a success."

Full Test: 2006 Mercedes-Benz ML350 (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • afifafif Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone know if this car is making significant sales? I noticed that it has not yet been rated on the Edmunds new car site and I saw quite a few of the them on the MB lot when I was over there this week.
    I don't know actual sales numbers, but I've read reports of buyers getting discounts already. It will vary based on one's area.

The new model is quite pricey when loaded with options, and MB seems to have a good supply.

I'm sure MB will claim the vehicle is selling well. Manufacturers always compare sales numbers to the previous year, and naturally a new model will sell better than the end-of-life previous model.
    I suspect this vehicle is going to be caught in the downdraft on mid- to large-SUV sales, regardless of its merit. I don't know of anything in the SUV segment selling well other than the small SUVs, hybrids, and crossovers.

If you're in the market, time to drive a very hard bargain.

- Mark
  • cardwancardwan Member Posts: 2
    Any 2006 ML350 owner has this option?
    Is this power rear gate door fully automatic in 'opening' AND 'closing' the cargo door?
  • evinereviner Member Posts: 1
    Yes, the Power Liftgate door is fully automatic. It opens and closes the cargo door using the remote, etc
  • gm1120gm1120 Member Posts: 22
    Just purchased iridium silver/ash leather, extremely enjoying the car, got it for $500 over invoice, I hope that's good?! Bought the car based on the looks and color (yes, I'm a woman). First time Benz owner. So far so good, rides very smoothly, compared to the X5, which is a sportier ride.
  • sierrasonicsierrasonic Member Posts: 26
    MSRP 48825, Invoice Price $45959, Offered Price $44581 for 2006 ML350,

Is this good price? Can somebody give me the more feedback about the vehicle. Is there any recalls? Thanks in Advance.
    That is such a great price! I asked about the recall (scroll up a bit, you'll see it), they've fixed that. Where are you located at? I wish I had seen your email before I purchased mine at $500 over invoice ($45,830 MSRP; $43,273 invoice). So far, I LOVE my ML.
  • suliucpasuliucpa Member Posts: 2
    What is option in your new ML 350?
    http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/mercedesbenz_mclass_ml350_2006/16830/style_overview.html;_y- lt=ArbB9tKwwhg9vX8uoBs3EEEbfr8F
    Invoice Price:$36,968
    Navigation System $1,240
    Trim Package $2,200

Thanks, I am going to buy my 2006 ML350 soon

Jimmy Liu
    That is such a great price! I asked about the recall (scroll up a bit, you'll see it), they've fixed that. Where are you located at? I wish I had seen your email before I purchased mine at $500 over invoice ($45,830 MSRP; $43,273 invoice). So far, I LOVE my ML.
  • hanghang Member Posts: 4
    I am interested in the 2006 ML 350. Please tell me if this is a reasonable price.
    I forgot to ask about the invoice price. I will next time when I speak to the salesman.

White/ash: $40,470 (includes the $720 destination)
    318 trim: $2,200
    324 Sunroof: $1,390
    Offered price: $42,995

Is this a good price????????
    Check out the Mercedes Benz M-Class: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion too (and if you've recently purchased, congrats and please post about the deal over there).

Steve, Host
    It is offered in bay area, CA
    I got the trim pkg $2200 +sunroof pkg $1390+ entertainment pkg $1080. If you get the trim pkg (or any pkg with leather), you HAVE to get the sunroof pkg, it comes together. At first I didn't want the entertainment pkg, but you can't pick and choose, it's whatever they have in the inventory, some comes with more options than you want, but I am so glad I got the entertainment pkg, it is so awesome, I wish I had gotten the comfort pkg and I would've been set. Hubby didn't want to pay for the extra option, now he wished he did - it's the memory seats - we had it in our Lexus and we totally miss it on the ML. Do the dealer quotes just to see what they have in inventory, they look it up. I had dealers from southern cal calling me - they are priced the same between no cal & so cal. Hope that helps
    my bad - guess i was too anxious and should've played it a little "cooler". my husband said i was too transparent. :( oh well, it's a great car, what's a few hundred $$ (boohoo!)
    The original price of the car for dealer is $36495/- and add options to the price. Like trim Packg costs $2046/-, sunroof costs $1293/ so the total cost of the above vehicle is 39834/- for dealer. your price should be around 40500/-
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Has anyone else attended yet? I go today!

M
  • niko3niko3 Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if you could help me out. I currently own a 1998 ML320 and is almost approaching 90K miles on it. I have not done any maintanence on it at all except for oil filter and oil change every five thousand miles. I feel like its getting kind of old and sluggish. Do you think it makes sense to invest in doing something to it or start looking for another car. If you are not sure your direction where to ask is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Niko
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    We attended in San Diego. The drive was too short and sweet. I guess I can go to the dealer. If they offer that with the 320 CDI I would buy one. It was fun and the hat is nice.
    It's almost always cheaper to fix up an old car than buy a new one. But if you've got 90K on a 98 w/o doing any maintenance, you've probably got some big ticket items looming.

If you keep it, it would probably make sense to find a good independent shop and have them go through the car and attend to the defered maintenance items, particularly stuff like belts, hoses, and coolant/brake fluid changes. They can also do a compression check and see if the sluggishness you feel is a more serious engine problem.

I wouldn't have high expecations that there is any maintenance you can do which will make the car drive like new again. If you're tired of the car, now is probably the best time to get a new one.

- Mark
    Finally I got my ML350 on Saturday paying $44581 with MSRP 48825.