Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    woodyww:
    Should you listen to either the Bose or base system, make sure the bass eq setting is at detent or left of it. If you try to get "extra" bass by boosting it, it will sound *extremely* flabby. Too bad you're not in the LA area. One of our listers did a totally souped up audio system on his ML and it's supposed to sound awesome. I'm on the borderline of yanking the fronts and throwing in ADS 336im's. On the one hand, my base system sounds adequate and there is usually so much noise in a car environment that I shouldn't bother; on the other, when I play a Sarah McLachlan CD, it sounds a muddy :-P
    You didn't say where you lived, but when I shopped for mine, I went to the extreme of trying to find a salesman I was comfortable with and visited all the dealers in the Boston area. Ended up w/ Jerry Pillari at Clair and am happy I did shop that way. At any rate, that's too far in the future. Let us know how your test drives turn out and if you have any questions on ML vs. MDX vs. X5 vs. anything. A lot of us have done comparison drives.
  • brian320brian320 Member Posts: 1
    Any input on installing a Cell Phone in my wife's 2001 ML320. She currently has a cell phone with Sprint. They are recommending she upgrade to a Samsung 8500 which they will install. We definitely want it to be hands free with voice activation. Appreciate your input. Thanks Brian320
  • tracy_lebtracy_leb Member Posts: 39
    William: I took the ML to Phil Smart (which is also where I bought it.) I am a fan of their service department. They've done several nice tweaks for me.

Carbon: the screws are torx and the rivets are plastic with a separate piece that's inserted in the middle after the rivet is put in place, to cause the inserted part of the rivet to expand. I haven't seen anything exactly like it before. The rivets are completely reusable but somewhat fragile. Tools would be a long skinny needle nose pliers and driver with an appropriate torx tip. The coolest thing is the felt tape they provided -- it's about .25" thick and has adhesive backing.

Steve: FWIW Re the Bose system. I opted to forego the Bose system as I didn't like the sound quality. I found the standard hifi system to provide adequate power and be without the Bose subwoofer (which is a plus IMO). I only wish that in the over-pondered and under-thought MCS system they'd have permitted (or even included) a DSP option and more than bass treble fader balance array of adjustments.
  • mlx52mlx52 Member Posts: 72
    While in the rear of my truck today (putting the single rear seat back up after hauling an item that was quite large). I accidentally hit the plastic panel that is just to the rear of the center armrest and that houses the cables for the latch release of the two left seats. However, when I hit this panel I heard the rattling noise that has been coming from the rear. So I went in to my house and grabbed a Philips screwdriver and unscrewed the panel. When I took the panel off a clip fell to the carpet. Upon closer examination it turned out to be the clip that holds the panels snugly in place (the clip that is at the top of the panel and clips onto the side closet to the armrest. Do you think my dealer would be able to order a new panel? Also, with the clip there didn’t seem to be a place where the clip would attach. Does it just clip to the side of the other plastic panel?

Thanks
    Jamie
  • billwagstaffbillwagstaff Member Posts: 1
    in post #657, sshowitt mentions that www.mbworld.org has info on a dealer who is offering discounts on the extended warranty ($1575 vs. approx. $2500). My dealer doesn't offer any discounts and I was unable to find the dealer in mbworld.org.

Does anyone have a pointer to a dealer who is willing to discount the mb extended warranty?
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    To Billwagstaff, E-mail me at Modntractr@aol.com and I will forward you the information. There are actually two dealers that I know of.
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    I would consider the Motorola Digital V Phone. this probably will be my next phone rather thant hte MB StarTAC because it is tiny. plus the handsfree kit is small and comes with a privacy handset.

The phone is $400 and the kit is $200. But anyhing is cheaper than the MB Phone.

Robert
    In case others want to see them, I put these brushguard pics up that "cheapdanny" sent me.
    Thanks, Danny. It does look a little naked w/o the M4 pkg's skidplate. :-P
  • bob259bob259 Member Posts: 280
    Ok is there a trick for posting on the Mclass mailing list on Escribe. I've sent in requesting to be added but never got a response and it is unclear how to you post once in the listing.

Must be the new year....

Thanks in advance.
    bob259:
    This is just the searchable archive for the M-Class Mailing List. If you click on that link, you'll see how to join.
  • ometofuometofu Member Posts: 53
    I used to able to save the entire board to my local drive for searching or offline reading. Is there a way can I get all the archive M-class board messages? It is really ignoring when u do a search on "Board Search" it tells you what you're looking for is somewhere in a 1000s of messages and you have no way to see it at once like it used to, but instead, you have to scroll 20 by 20 until u found it.... grin.....
  • pepe11pepe11 Member Posts: 41
    I lost my remote and MB key this weekend (snow blowing out my neighbors driveway). Anyone have an idea as to how much it costs to replace?

Pete
    pepe11: When I purchased my vehicle I believe the dealer told me it was around $150.00 for another remote and key. They also would have to send to MB for it.
  • macbestmacbest Member Posts: 55
    Does anyone know if there are incompatibility problems with putting the AMG 18" ML55 wheels on a ML320? Any rubbing or otherwise?

Also, Drew: a while back, there was a post for a tool to help install your wheels. It was a piece of stainless steel, around $30 that helped line up the bolts. Do you have the web address for this?
  • steverisitysteverisity Member Posts: 39
    Gman20,
    I too experience the refueling difficulties you have mentioned on my Y2k ML320.
    It seems as though I can never get the fuel needle to register at full. I only use
    self serve stations here in CA. While filling the tank, the gas hose will click off with
    about 2 gallons to go. It requires at least 4-5 more squeezes to get the tank truely full.

I have just assumed this to mean that MBZ has spec'd in a very narrow funnel with no place for air to escape which causes a back up near the end of refueling.

This must be one more part that the Germans allowed Alabama to spec in.
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    I bought the ext warrenty back in October when I took delivery of the ML. the sales lady told me that there was an MB internal email addressing a 10% discount. I paid mine for $2,250.
  • mike_542mike_542 Member Posts: 128
    I have experienced a significant number of problems with the gas tank of my ML320 (1998 & 2000.) I believe the meter is inaccurate, because I was stuck in the desert of Death Valley without gas, although the needle pointed that I had 1/4 of the tank filled. The Mercedes Roadside Assistance wouldn't help me, so I walked only about a mile to a gas station and back in hundred degree heat.

Also, I noticed that the needle moves stays in one position, and when I start the truck again, it's different completely different!
    mike_542:
    You have to make sure your replacement was made around Feb.2000. With previous versions, the sensor would get corroded by gas additives.
  • wnielwniel Member Posts: 97
    One should be careful putting the extra 3-4 gallons in your ML after the pump shuts off. What you are doing is filling the expansion tank. While I suppose that is OK in the winter when the gas won't expand, it isn't a good idea in the summer. It can cause problems. When going on a trip and driving right away I will put in an extra 2-3 gallons knowing that the expansion won't be a problem.
    Wally
    I got home today and in the garage ready to turn off the ML, and the fuel light started blinking...

Is this a sign that I have the FSU problem.

Robert
  • drmhfdrmhf Member Posts: 29
    I want to purchase a new (2001) ML320. Can someone tell me how much I should pay above invoice (or below sticker)? I'm not sure how much these are discounted. Carsdirect.com sells the ML320 for $1600 above invoice, which is $1250 below sticker. Thanks alot Mark
  • cindy29cindy29 Member Posts: 8
  • cindy29cindy29 Member Posts: 8
    Picked up my new 2000 Ml430 in November. At 220 miles I brought it back to the dealer to repair brake squeal. The noise was coming from the front and it was low pitched happening when coming to a full stop. Dealer says its normal and if I brake "Hard" a few times it should diminish.

I now have 2200 miles and I still get the low pitched squeal from the front and a high pitched one from the rear. This is almost constant now and has gotten much worse since the snow over the past week.

I heard of people having rotors reglazed or even replaced along with new pads but werent happy with softer feeling on brake pedal. What is the best solution.? My 98 Ml320 never made a noise in 44K.

Thanks for your input.
    Robert:
    What I remember is that people would fill up and it would not go to full, or it would drop really quickly from full to 1/4 or 1/2. I've never heard anyone mention the empty light would come on.
  • kingscorpiankingscorpian Member Posts: 16
    As you all know by now New York had one of its worst snowstorm in four years on 12/30/2000. We received 12 to 14 inches of snow. I have a 2001 Mercedes-Benz ML430 about a month and have loved every day of it. Not to mention my experience in the snow. My last two vehicles were a Ford Explorer XLT and then a Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer; good in the snow but nothing like the ML430. Any one who is having doubts about the ML430s snow handling capabilities please take a look at these pictures in a unplowed parking lot behind a K MART.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1432089&a=10733483
  • ometofuometofu Member Posts: 53
    Where exactly in new york is that open lot? 20th Ave.? Picture looks awefully familiar...
  • thor3thor3 Member Posts: 120
    Nice ML430 pictures in snow... although the 12-14" doesn't really show in your pictures... not even hitting bottom of undercarriage. We own a 1999 ML430 and have taken it many miles through blizzard conditions and know the capability even with stock tires! We drove several hundred miles in a winter blizzard through Kansas and Colorado even when the interstate was closed (could not reenter if exited). Amazing vehicle!!!

Anyway, have some questions regarding your rear bumper guard - where did you get it and did you install it yourself... was it easy... how long did it take... what did it fasten to?

Thanks - Frank
    These pictures were taken behind the Big KMART on Boston Road in the Bronx.
    I made all those tire tracks the day before 12/30/2000while it was still snowing. I had the vehicle washed the next day 12/31/2000 and then decided to go back and take some pictures. If you look at the pictures closely you will see the high ridges. I plowed through the snow at an amazing speed of 40 to 50 mph without any problems what so ever. The rear bumper guard is by WAAG, if you go to this web site http://www.waag.com/newprod.php or email them at sales@wagg.com with your vehicle information along with your location they will give the name of an authorized WAGG distributor who will install for you. I purchased the entire kit the rear bumper guard, tail light covers, side steps which were back ordered and the front brush guard which they are making a new bracket for the 2001 ML430. The 2001 transmission cover is different than the 2000 and I did not want them to modify anything on the vehicle. So I will have to wait just a little while longer. Any more questions please feel free to email me at kingscorpian@hotmail.com
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    While I was cleaning the car yesterday, I noticed my first scratch on the front passenger door. I have a black ML so the white scratch really shows. It seemed like whoever opened their door hit it hard since the paint was really chipped. The white stuff underneath shows up. The good news is that it was on the little rubber painted side guard on the door.
    Do I just use a touch up paint to fix that or do I need something else?
  • dt77dt77 Member Posts: 232
    I got a nick on my door too. That's what happens when I park in the parking structures are school. They don't have very big spaces. The nick i have barely covers 1.5 mm by 1.5 mm or about 1/8" by 1/8". tiny, but I saw it and a 'white stuff' is exposed. It actually looks like a tiny white spec on the door and I also have it on the doors side guard.

dt77
    I reported on here before that I noticed some clicking noise from the dash area and it seems some have reported the same thing and some have even fixed it. I will inspect and look into it when I get back to LA.

When I was with my ML in LA, I had also isloated 'squeaking' which came from the driver's side rubber door seal with the door opening seals. Confirmed by sticking my finger in the gap with door closed and the noise it made was clearly replicated. Some of you may have heard noises you hate and maybe you can look there =)

I miss my ML. =)
    dt77
    Yup, as far as I know now, only waag makes the rear door guard for the ML. I almost got it a while ago, but decided to hold off. Also took a small poll on the old edmunds and majority favored not getting it. I think it still looks cool, and it definately protects the bumper. I've seen pics on the web with it on a silver ML too. But the guy acutally painted it to match his silver ML. I've also seen a black one with the rear guard.

THe only thing I have about it is I wish it were more 'muscular' like the Manik A bar I have (it's pretty thick).

The waag rear guard attaches with bolts - contrary to what I thought before : rear hitch attachment.

dt77
    http://fullspeed.to/ml
    "only waag makes the rear door guard for the ML..."

sorry, i must be smokin crack. I meant rear bumper guard.

dt77
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    I hope I responded back to all who e-mailed me with information on discounted MB extended warranties. $1575.00 is a can't lose price for the premium M/B 4 yr. 50K mile warranty. It is transferrable and can be pro-rated for a refund of the unused portion. I put it on A/E and got mileage besides. BTW, a very good M-Class e-mail List Serve:
    owner-m-class@moab.off-road.com
    E-mail them at that address to subscibe.
  • howvoodhowvood Member Posts: 19
    I'd like to know where you purchased the extended warranty for $1575. I've been quoted around $2500. Anyone can e-mail me at howvood@hotmail.com
    for those folks who are trying to get it at that price, don't mention where you got it from. Someone told their dealer once last year, then that dealer complained to MB who then came down on the dealer that's selling it for that price. Just mention that you can get it elsewhere at that price :-)
  • tomnorristomnorris Member Posts: 1
    I live 70 miles from the nearest Mercedes-Benz dealer. Need a safe SUV that can tow 5000#. Reliability of MB ML 320 has been poor. What is the latest on reliability?
    tomnorris: Most of the poor ratings were based on early production (98/99) vehicles. There have been many improvements in the 2000/2001 MY vehicles and nothing major that I'm aware of.

I have a MY00 ML320 with 7,000 miles and the only problem I experienced was a door actuator that didn't like the extreme cold temperatures (below 10 degrees (f)), but that was fixed and I'm trouble free again. I also tow a small boat and utility trailer with no problem. I had far more problems with my domestic cars then I experienced with my 'first' MB vehicle and I'm sold on their quality.

If you need a safe SUV look no further, the ML is rated number 1 in safety for SUV's As I've said before, I normally buy a vehicle and start looking for something new in 6 months, as I get bored with them easily, not so with this vehicle. I see me keeping this one 4-5 years before swaping (my wife said she wants to see that before she believes it), I love this vehicle more each time I drive it.

What ever your decision enjoy!!!
  • rover96rover96 Member Posts: 33
    Thor3

Thanks for your time & the detail info. I set up an appointment with the dealer this coming Monday to go through all the minor stuff.

Everything is minor except the rear end vibration when I do a sharp left or right turn from stop. I mention it to the dealer early on & he said is normal. I do not agree with him since I had a jeep & a land rover b4 and they didn't have this problem. But the dealer agree to check it out. My question is, is this a recall on this known problem or how can I force the dealer to fix the vibration problem?

As of the extended warranty, I purchased the 5 yrs & up to 100k miles warranty form National Auto Care (I hope it's good) for $1500, Zero deductible. I hope it helps in the furture. Any one heard of the National Auto Care Company? Any good? Once again happy new year every 1. Thanks again Thor3
    Boy has the forum slowed down. Must be everyone is still tired from the holidays/vacation. It's gone from if you missed a day it takes two to get caught up, to you can miss two days and read it on one screen.

Guess that's also good news and means we all are having few, if any, problems with our ML's
  • andrewdejongandrewdejong Member Posts: 2
    The power skyview top was the reason of purchasing the Ml 320 2000 last year ( My former car was a CLK 200 convertible, a good car but no room for a Newfound land Dog, so I'm used to a little bit more wind noise) No problems with the top after 30.000 km. We drive with open top almost every day during summer time (except for the German autobahn). In my opinion it's worth the extra money.

Andrew de Jong, The Netherlands, Europe
  • jhovenierjhovenier Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 ML-430 and would really appreciate extended warranty discount information. I am discrete! My e-mail is jackh49@aol.com.

Thanks.
    "I was telling you about the next generation of engines for amg cars. The new engines will be supercharged in the amg versions. All
    the current cars have the 5.5L V8 normally aspirated. They retain the 3v per
    cylinder. I got to ride in an ml55 before I came back here and it was pretty
    quick for such a heavy car."

Robert
    Hello - Glad to hear that your bringing in your 1998 ML320 to establish a new owner maintenance/service record.

To answer your question (is there a recall for the rear end lockup/gowning noise...) No there is no recall but it is a warranty item. Many dealers have replaced the differential with the newer version gear ratio that resolves said (NORMAL - NOT!!) binding. If your dealer is ignorant of this make him/her aware that you have been informed by other owners of same vehicle and that there was a fix which required the new gearing in the replacement units.

As I said earlier - you need to make sure each and every complaint is documented - if they don't fix it or put "no problem found" you at least have it in writing for when it becomes an issue in the future.

The rear end vibration/binding may be felt thru the steering wheel as well so you may want to add to your complaint that you feel the front binding as well... tell them it is hard to tell but it acts like a 4 wheel drive that has its hubs locked on dry pavement when turning sharply.

You need to see the past warranty history so you know what has been done already. As I said earlier you need to know the problem areas that have been improved with new components... even if your vehicle is not demonstrating/experiencing a problem now but Mercedes has made newer components you need to complain to get new components... Just as I stated that the door latches have been upgraded a couple of times - even if your doors shut OK you may want the newer latches that have the "latest engineering." Same goes for fuel pump, fuel sender, suspension bushings, steering pump....

Bottom line you need a dealer and a technician that wants to "look" for all of these mentioned changes and do the replacements. I've found two such dealers EuroMotorCars in Bethesda MD and AutoHaus MB in Pompano Beach FL... both have great Techs that will comb the ML over for such mods. It helps if you make the general comments on the repair order - such as - hear a high pitched whine on occasions from rear of vehicle... sounds like fuel pump... gas gauge reads inaccurate at times... may not read full when full or is inaccurate...

There are many ways to make complaints to get MB Techs to look at and repair items because they already know MB has new parts for many of the mentioned items. Many times, the Techs will look at the complaints on the Repair Order and will immediately order the newest renditions. They will install them without documenting the actual complaint because they already know these are well documented ML problems and don't want to waist time trying to duplicate them. As long as MB has a newer part # that supersedes the one being replaced on your 1998 (pretty good chance of this) it will be no issue...

This is why it is very important to read as many old posts on this and any other ML forum and write down the problems that you see reoccuring and then have the device Facility write these items down on the repair order. I guaranty that you will see new components placed on the vehicle. If not find another dealer or share with us where you are located and I'm sure someone will recommend the best dealer in your area.

I have soo much more to say but can't keep typing but I hope you get my drift - MB owes it to you while under warranty to bring you vehicle up to the latest spec for each specific issue... you need to get this done prior to warranty expiration. The good news is if the dealer replaces something... such as door lock actuators and they fail again after warranty you may get Factory warranty coverage anyway due to a parts warranty within a specified period of time... so you have nothing to loose.... but get the old history so you know what has been done already - or at least was done once...serveral items have had several new fixes... just because a repair was done once does not mean you have the latest new parts. For example there have been at least 4 fuel level senders over the past 1.5 years....

Good luck - Frank
    Hi - are you saying that the AMG ML55 may have a Supercharger for Model Year 2002...did you get a test drive in such or just a base ML55 as in current production..?

Thanks - Frank

This would sure be exciting if so.....
    Major droolage....any HP/Torque numbers? :-)
    It makes sense...look at the C32. Nice Lysholm supercharger...
    This is how it was explained to me:

MB has higher torque/less HP than say a BMW because of the longer stroke and the 3 valves per cylinder. This was done (one of the reasons) to achieve ULEV emmissions status. MB is adding the supercharger to make up for the lost power.

So what is going to result is more horsepower AND ULEV status. He said AMG accross the line will get the supercharger, so I am assuming the ML55 too. He said the NEXT version of the AMG engine. He did not say when this new engine would appear, 2002...03...04.
    Result: Environmentally friendly rockets.

I didnt get to ride in the car nor did he, as it is not out yet. He did however drive the PT Turbo, which was quite nice.

Robert
  • ji1ji1 Member Posts: 2
    Have a 18 month old 99 ML320 which has had repeated issues with the fuel sender and gas gauge. After three replacements and two actual fuel line ruptures my patience is gone. Any wisdom on how to resolve? Terrific vehicle otherwise, but eight service visits in four months is getting a little out of control.

Thanks for your help.
    Make sure you have the latest (part#168-470-11-94). That's the one that should not need replacement...