Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Tribute

Comments

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,582

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• 1846618466 Posts: 46
    As a employee of a company that participates in the Ford X plan (Mazda S plan), I was assuming that I could get a better deal on the Tribute than with other vehicles such as the Honda CRV. I was shocked by the amount of money that the Mazda and Ford dealers were willing to accept for my trade (98 Jeep Cherokee Sport with many extras ($5100). $5200 at a Ford dealer). We left both dealers with no plans to purchase an Escape/Tribute. We liked the way the Tribute/ Escape handled with the exception of how the transmission upshifted and seemed never to be satified with the gear it was in. This morning we got a price on a 2003 Honda CRV 4wd LX ($20000) and $7100 trade for our Cherokee with 77k. We drove the CRV and really enjoyed the way it handled, The transmission shifted much smoother than the Tribute and overall the CRV seemed more pleasant to drive. If we would have purchased the Tribute LX 4wd (no extras) we would have paid over $2500 over the deal we got on the CRV. I guess you can tell which vehicle we purchased.
  • I posted the following on another related message board, but thought I could get more readers here:

I'm buying a 2003 Tribute in the next couple of weeks. Anyone have any comments on hauling things on the factory roof rack on the Tribute? Or maybe a suitable after market rack system? In particular I want to be able to tie a 16' canoe to the top. I currently have the Yakima track/Locking Railrider Tower system on my 2001 Ford Ranger (with fib topper). Originally, when I was in the market for an Escape, my existing towers would fit perfectly into the Escape factory tracks. With the Tribute, if I want to use the Yakima system, I'll have to buy either LowRider towers, Q-Towers, or a combination of the two. Or possibly install tracks on the roof of the Tribute, if they fit with the existing rack system.

I know some of this Yakima jargon should be reserved for Yakima technical support employees, but I thought maybe someone out there has been down this road.
    Last month of our long term road test.

Steve, Host

• maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    How can the Best Fuel Economy be lower than the Average Fuel Economy?

Best Fuel Economy: 17.7 mpg
    Worst Fuel Economy: 13.5 mpg
    Average Fuel Economy (over the life of the vehicle): 18.1 mpg
    That always confuses me too - the best and worst are just for that month. The average is over the life of the vehicle - almost 2 years in this case.

Freeway traffic must have been really bad last month, LOL.

Steve, Host

Why they'd report those together makes little sense other than you can tell that some months they have lead feet and others they don't.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    that Ford HVAC too - I want that separate recirc switch!

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• zmeenowzmeenow Posts: 341
    now with 8300 miles on it,,,no rattles,squeaks,etc..fun to drive... power when I needed it and comfortable.yes,some minor annoyances(key slot hard to find)... but.. I have a mercedes c240..the light bulbs are constantly needing replacement and they cant find out why!!.... so..... remember... perfection is an ideal... not a reality.
    zmeenow
  • zapcatzapcat Posts: 64
    Anybody (hosts) know why edmunds has no incentives listed for mazda? They changed on Dec. 3rd. I called the 800 number and got the info. Why can't edmunds?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    I have no idea. I'll see what I can find out.

tidester, host
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    zapcat....where are you?? If your in the northeast the Tribute has finance rates of 4.9% for 60 mo and 5.9% for 72 months. If you pay cash there is a dealer cash incentive of $500 that the dealer may or may not share with you. That depends on your haggling skills and the dealers need to sell cars in stock. Rich
  • hello all, I am considering a 2003 Tribute DX with 4WD which I saw listed for $ 20,595.00 MSRP on www.mazda.com. A few questions..

How well does the 130hp 4 perform in the Tribute considering its curb weight? Is the 4 cylinder engine a Mazda engine or closer to its Ford counterpart?

While the Tribute and Escape had some reliability woes during the first year, how reliable are they now?

Last but not least, what is the availability of the Tribute DX 5 speed 4? Any info is appreciated...
  • There are more important things in this life to worry about...I know. But....

Good News and Bad News:
    Good News: You may not have discovered this, but in the center console, there is a bracket designed to hold Kleenex Little Traveler boxes.
    Bad News: Kimberly-Clark has discontinued producing them. (I have not checked to see if the "Juniors" fit.)

You can call Kimberly-Clark (1-800-553-3639) and tell them you own a Tribute and that you'd like them to bring back the "Little Traveler". Maybe the guys in Marketing will re-introduce them.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    are going tissueless? Seriously, that's a lot of Kleenex customers! If Kleenex made the only box of tissues that will fit in that slot (as Jeff just told me; he works in the office next to mine!), one of you should call Kimberly-Clark after getting the sales numbers to date for both vehicles and tell them how many customers they're losing! Maybe that'll change their tune!

I guess for now it's back to the ol' roll of toilet paper in the trunk ...

Meade
  • I am convinced that most people have no idea that the bracket is there...or, like me, stuffed other stuff in it for a year (with the box of tissues in the glove box) before figuring it out.
    I'm lurking here from the Mazda Protege discussion -- there's a little holder in the lid to the center console of the Protege that kept us scratching our heads for months until someone found out that his car registration fits there really well ...

Meade
    Shouldn't you be lurking in the Cat Bulldozer conference? Nice profile :-)

Steve, Host

• zaimonzaimon Posts: 124
    That braket is also perfect for 3 or 4 CD jewel cases. Not as practical a solution, but if you're looking to fill it, there you go!
  • rotarykidrotarykid Posts: 191
    ford used to(maybe they still do)supply a box of tissues in the center console when the vehicles were new. I noticed it in the merc mountaniers while working at a mazda/lincoln dealer. I think they were there for the customers who thought they were buying a luxury sport ute and later found out its only a rebadged exploder! (wahh!wahh!)
  • I am the unhappy owner of an 02 Tribute that has a built in lemonade stand. It has been to the dealer 5 times with stalling, rattles from everywhere, non-working equipment, vibrating ds mirror, 2 broken driver side fog lights, suspension clunking, popping, uneven tire wear and various problems I won't bore you with and my dealer nor Mazda Corp will do anything about any of them. This is a piece of garbage.

I now have a burnt oil smell coming from my engine bay after a few miles of driving. It's not b/c of an oil change either. It never goes away. Fluids are ok, although the brake fluid cap is heavily stained with fluid.

Any advice?

My advice is to AVOID this by buying elsewhere. I will never buy another Mazda product.

Ray
  • You better not buy a Ford either because that's who designed it.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    pretty much who built it too, right?

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

mazda can go rather far to satisfy customers...I would like to hear the other side of this story
    Thanks. I resemble that remark :D

Meade
    I'd expect that kind of response from you!

But the problems listed sound like assembly problems, not something allegedly caused by the dealership. I don't think there IS another side to this story, other than, "Well sir, apparently your car came off the line late on Friday afternoon!"

I had similar experiences with a Mazda truck built by Ford; mine was a 1994 B2300 pickup. I won't go into details since I already feel the breath of maltb blowing down my neck. He's a Mazda employee too, so we have to keep that in mind when we dare criticize their rock-solid quality.

Ford seems to be having a lot of trouble with quality control lately. Case in point:

http://www.detnews.com/2002/autosinsider/0210/13/a01-611243.htm

Mazda fans, please note (it's in my profile) that I'm one too. I'm on my third Protege since 1992, and it's been trouble-free for 48,800 miles (probably since it was built by Mazda in Japan with no Ford input). And we purchased my wife a new Protege5 last year. It seems to be only the Mazdas that Ford's gotten its greasy paws into that are problematic. Too bad for Mazda.

mdaffron states..."I'd expect that kind of response from you!"

What kind of ignorant comment is that?? just because I am interested in BOTH sides of a story you make a comment like that? I guess in the real world your only interested in hearing one side to make up your mind on a topic. I didnt say the guy lied, I didnt say he was wrong, I didnt say the dealer or mazda was right. just wanted to hear both sides.
    ...maybe you think we should always believe one side of a story 100% and just ignore the other side because you say so.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Let's play nice. Try to avoid reading too much into a less than optimal choice of words - it's a shortcoming of the medium.

tidester, host
    I assure you there is another side to his story
    "We should be able to build a car as well as anybody. But we have had problems. The workers here know deep down we can do better."

- A Ford Engineering Supervisor, quoted from the article I posted earlier today