Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Tribute

Comments

• rverderverde Member Posts: 3
    I have 7500 miles on my 2002 ES 4x4.

Zero problems. Took it on a long trip last week, 900 miles in 3 days. Combination of freeway and mountain driving including some snow. I really enjoyed driving it in the mountains. The handling is excellent for this type of vehicle.

I am 6'6" and 300lbs and felt comfortable the whole trip. The leg, head and hip room are great.

Gas mileage is not so great, at $2 plus per gallon, this is a drag. 20 on the highway and much less of course in the mountains.

Someone mentioned brake dust on the front wheels above, I see it on every trib/escape around. I also see it on just about every other SUV with an open style wheel. You just have to keep up with it.

As for the stalling problem, I know that Mazda did buy back a large number of tributes for that very problem and that they have a fix for it. See your dealer and if they do not help, contact Mazda directly. They will fix it.

See you all again in a few thousand miles, hopefully still smiling.
  • jkasjkas Member Posts: 1
    Whew ... just put in an order for a Trib LX 4x4 ... much debate between the Hyundai Sante Fe and this ... decided to drive them both again this morning, and there was just no comparison ... the Mazda performs! ... even able to take the test drive off road a little and it was great ... Hyundai has some advantages no doubt, but my decision came down to driving performance (rather than interior gadgets and an extra years warranty) ... dealer says 8 weeks for factory ordered ... A little down 'cause the 0% financing went away at my dealer, but they have 2.9% with $500 cash back .... got close to the Edmunds price as well. Now just hoping I don't get a lemon ... this forum has been of great help .. I drove my last car for 12 years, so I tend to be very picky about my ride!
  • tribute1tribute1 Member Posts: 1
    Any body who bought a 2003 ES 4wd Tribute tell me if your vehicle came with any of the v-6 or AWD emblems on the back of the truck.

I contacted Mazda corporate about this issue and they stated its something that should have been added at prep during purchase.

Had to drive back 40 miles to get the dealer to add the v-6 emblem and told me the vehicle no longer gets the 4WD/AWD emblem anymore.

Couple weeks go buy and the salewoman calls up and to dicuss the survey we filled out which we deatiled our complaint about the missing emblem.

She goes on to tell me that the 2003 model doesn't recieve these items anymore. Don't know what she wanted from me at this point, but from my research (MAZDA Corp) I expected them to be provided.

The whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth, any information would be apprciated.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    mazda is famous for doing mid-cycle updates where they make running changes in the middle of a model year. sorta like a 2003.5 model. This years mid year update they eliminated the cargo cover as a standard feature and added some trim rings around the speedometer, improved the seating and eliminated some of the body emblems....Many car mfg. make running changes during the model year....

So you did fine, the dealer was correct about no more stinkin' badges but
    the best part is you got a "fresh" Trubute, not one that has been sitting around the lot all winter....
    Enjoy your Tribute!!! my mom just got one also..It is a nice addition to her Miata.
  • mikelevine64mikelevine64 Member Posts: 39
    I Purchased a 2003 Tribute ES 4WD which was manufactured in 1/03 my vehicle has no ES & no 4WD emblems on it. I do have the cargo cover as this was standard eqp. with the Lux Pag. now.
  • parker1028parker1028 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased my 2003 Tribute ES 4wd last Saturday (3/8) and noticed the emblems were missing as well. I only knew that they were supposed to be there because the dealer had a model on the floor with the emblems showing. When I asked the salesperson about it he said that they had run out and the emblems were on backorder. He wrote me up a receipt and said that they would have them in a couple of weeks. Not sure what to believe at this point though.
  • zaimonzaimon Member Posts: 124
    I removed the tailgate emblems on my Tribute... I thought they were too busy and interfered with what is a nice tailgate design and overall clean look of the SUV. That center chrome piece with the Mazda logo is enough for me!
  • murocflyermurocflyer Member Posts: 20
    Has anyone noticed how lousy the resale value on Tributes are? Was thinking about selling my 2001 LX but can't afford to. It didn't hold its value at all and after almost two years with a 6.6% interest rate we are still upside down. Another concern of mine if its stolen or totalled, we will still owe another $4,000 on it after the insurance is paid off.
    I'll never buy another Ford/Mazda product again.
    The mid-cycle update on the Tribute eliminated the emblems and cargo cover (LX) as standard features. They added the trim rings around the speedometerplus some additional trim work and they improved the seat cushions.

So if your Tribute was built after the mid-cycle update you Tribute will not have the emblems and cargo cover. The cover is now a $30 option on the LX. The ES still has the cover as standard.
  • e182931e182931 Member Posts: 1
    I have a cracked lense on one of my OEM fog lights for my 2001 tribute. The replacement cost of one light is over $100.00 Anybody know of a replacement light or lights that fit in place of the OEM foglights that might be cheaper?
    Check ebay... I had the same problem and managed to get a pair of OEM foglights from one of the sellers for $40 + shipping. I've seen them go for as little as $10...

I don't see any on there right now... but there are usually 1 or 2 pairs up for auction every 2 weeks or so.

Word of caution: Don't go for those generic auto body parts that google lists for tribute parts. They'll usually screw you over, took me the longest time to get my money back from a taillight they didn't have in stock...
  • doksouldoksoul Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Tribute LX with 6000 miles on it. Great car, no real problems. Appreciate performance and appearance. Anyhow on a 500 mile trip to Vegas noticed that glass in mirror vibrated. When I returned from trip, it was time for 5000 mile oil change (I changed at 3000 mile also even though not required). Pointed out to dealer vibration in mirror. He stated there was a service bulletin and it would take him about 5 minutes to add some nylon washers that would fix the problem. Only other problem was there was some residue in the line to the rear window washer that made it just dribble out instead of spray. Alls fixed. The service mgr. was great! One thing bothers me, but ALL car manufacturer's do this, is that we aren't notifie about service bulletins. Hope this post helps some of you if your having same problem. Don't fix it if it's not broke....
  • domettgdomettg Member Posts: 55
    Does anyone know if any significant changes are planned for the 2004 Tirbute?
    Thanks!
  • jaygolfjaygolf Member Posts: 1
    we bought an 01 trib in february but dealer was never able to supply us a title. To make amends he offered us a refund and an 03 for invoice. We got an LX 4x4
    with the luxury package and premier sound, tow package,ABS,power seat,side step tubes,side air bags,wheel locks. MSRP 26,075. With rebates plus tax title and tags we were out the door for 23,818.This is hawaii where the base LX sells for 25,000 because of dealer location markup. Only thing we dont like is the funky black dash with the beige interior. zum zum
    Anyone see Mercury's version of the Escape/Tribute? The one major difference I noticed was that the auto transmission's gear selector was moved to the floor!! Any chance that this will make it to future Tributes/Escapes?
  • escape2003kcguescape2003kcgu Member Posts: 10
    Hey Zaimon, I saw the new Merc Mariner and I can confirm that the floor shifter will definitely be put into the new Tributes! (It'll be going into the new Escapes as well). I really think that adding the floor shifter to the Trib will give it even more "Zoom Zoom!!" I have an Escape right now and I am seriously considering trading up to a Trib in a few months since I've got 40,000 miles on it. I work for Ford so I already have a copy of the new 2004 Escape Brochure if you want me to email you a copy just let me know at escape2003kcguy@yahoo.com I Don't have the 04 Trib book yet, but I should have it soooooon!

All the details of the changes for the 2004's are in the new booklet, Bad news: the biggest change of the floor shifter for the Tributes (and Escapes) won't be put in until the 2005 models come out... but the GOOD NEWS? is that the 2005's are coming out waaaay early! (in just about 8 months.)
  • relayerohiorelayerohio Member Posts: 7
    Wondering if anyone has the rear bumper step plate, and if they like it?

Also, if you bought it aftermarket, did it come with an adhesive, or did you have to use your own, and what did you buy?

Have read a couple of posts on other sites that it isn't worthwhile getting.

Thanks for your help.
  • bjachaibjachai Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,

Just bought new 03 Tribute LX. Love it, but having troubl with what feels like a pinched nerve in right thigh while driving. Am tall - 6'3'', any suggestions????? HELP. I really want to love my new car.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Have read a couple of posts on other sites that it isn't worthwhile getting.

All it takes is is one scratch on that bumper plastic and you'll wish you had bought it. I cheaped on my first MPV thinking I didn't need it and I specified it on my current one. They are pretty inexpensive and if you haul anything they are worthwhile.
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    It is mostly a cosmetic item -- adds a little glitter. Instructions strickly forbid stepping on it, but I have (160 lbs) & nothing broke. It will protect your bumper from minor scratches if you like to get up to the roof rack or load lots of stuff in the rear hatch.

It is an easy aftermarket add on. Just line it up, peel of the tape backing & stick 'er down. Takes about 5 minutes.
  • hoo320hoo320 Member Posts: 46
    appreciated.
    just got an ES-V6 3 weeks ago.
    Compared to my other car, 10 years old Diamante, there are two differences I want to point out.
    1. the power steering of trib is not strong enough, so the wheel feel heavy for me.
    2. the suspension is nothing compare to diamante. I can feel all the bumps of the road in the tribute, while I can feel nothing in my diamante. is it normal or something wrong with my tribute's suspension system
    thanks
  • zmeenowzmeenow Member Posts: 341
    I HAVE A 2002 TRIB ES LOADED.. 17,500 MILES... NO PROBLEMS! NOT ONE.. WAS A PLEASURE TO DRIVE IT THROUGH LAST WINTERS SNOW!
    AS FOR EXPECTING AN SUV TO FEEL LIKE A CAR THATS SOMEWHAT IN THE LUXURY RANGE..A SEDAN.. COMON GET REAL! WHY DID YOU BUY AN SUV? OR... WHY DIDNT YOU BY THE LEXUS?PROBABLY THE MOST CAR LIKE FEEL... OF COURSE THAT WILL SET YA BACK 40 GRAND.
    FOR THOSE THAT ARE CONCERNED ABOUT RETAINING ITS VALUE.... LOOK IF YOURE NOT BUYING A BEEMER... OR A LEXUS.. OR AN AUDI OR A PASSAT... YA BETTER ANTE UP A BIGGER DOWN PAYMENT SO YOURE NOT "UPSIDE DOWN" ON THE LOAN....CARS,WITH RARE EXCEPTIONS JUST DONT HOLD VALUE.PERIOD!
    ENJOY YOUR TRIBS AS MUCH AS IM ENJOYING MINE!!
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    hoo320: A mini-SUV is not meant to be a quiet-cruising car. Still, you might want to check your tire pressure.

zmeenow: THAT'S GREAT TO HEAR!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    PLEASE! Lose the caps!

Thanks.

tidester, host
  • phaedrysphaedrys Member Posts: 37
    I am just starting to shop for a mini SUV, and the Escape/Tribute seemed on paper to best fit my needs. I test drove an Escape this morning and found it to be ok. The interior was pretty bland, the seats weren't that comfy, and I felt like I was ten feet above the steering wheel!

Now, in the Escape's defense, I am currently driving a 2002 GTI...so I am looking at an entirely different type of vehicle here. I guess my question is how is the Tribute different than the Escape? Is it that much noisier or harsher than the Escape? Is the interior any better (I was in an XLT with leather, I would get an ES fully loaded)? Why did you guys pick the Tribute over the Escape?

I've read through a lot of these posts, but I figured the best way to get a good answer was to just ask. Thanks for all your help :-)
    Couple things by suvshopper4 May 17, 2003 (1:27 pm)
    hoo320: A mini-SUV is not meant to be a quiet-cruising car. Still, you might want to check your tire pressure.

thanx, you mean that my problems are common feathers with SUV. right? So, my tribute is all right?
    I bought this SUV for more cargo room and the winter ski trip to colorado.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant, especially for the lower-end mini-utes.

And if I recall correctly, the Diamante had a pretty sophisticated suspension. Probably had more sound-deadening material, too. I think the mini-utes have virtually none.

Good luck.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    the Trib has quicker steering if you buy the V-6, and tighter (harder) suspension on all trim levels.

To my eye, it has a nicer interior than Escape too.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

There are quite a few reasons to select the Tribute over the Escape. The first reason is the warranty. The Escape has a 3yr/36K bumper to bumper and the Tribute has 4yr/50K bumper to bumper. The Tribute has better incentives also. 60 months @ 0% financing. Have you driven the Tribute also>?? if not, try to do it right after the Escape. There is quite a bit of difference in the ride and drive....

We sell both the Escape and the Tribute and we seem to sell more Tributes than Escapes, when people compare the two.
    #1235 of 1235 phaedrys. by audia8q May 19, 2003 (12:41 pm)
    There are quite a few reasons to select the Tribute over the Escape. The first reason is the warranty. The Escape has a 3yr/36K bumper to bumper and the Tribute has 4yr/50K bumper to bumper. The Tribute has better incentives also. 60 months @ 0% financing. Have you driven the Tribute also>?? if not, try to do it right after the Escape. There is quite a bit of difference in the ride and drive....

thanks for the info. when I bought my trib, the dealer told it was 4/50 warranty . However, the warranty booklet coming with the owner's manual says it is only 3/36. is there any way, I can get a warranty booklet with the right info?
    Your problem is not unique. Since mazda made the warranty change after the 2003 model year started, quite a few vehicles were shipped with the "old" warranty booklet.....just stop by your dealer and show them you have an "old" warranty booklet and would like a "new" one showing the 4/50 warranty. We got a box of them for just that reason.

Rich
  • avanteguyavanteguy Member Posts: 15
    sorry for off topic question, how ever i am looking for a site like this for people around Toronto ,ont. (GTA),and i can't seem to find one ,does anyone know of such a site ?
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    Not sure about 2004, but next gen tribute to be built off 'Mazda4' platform. Mazda4 is upcoming
    "mini"minivan on same platform as Focus C-Max but will be a 7 seater as opposed to the C-Max's 5.
    Mazda4 will be available with front or AWD and will also spawn the next gen Tribute.
    I imagine Mazda will grow the next gen MPV to put it inline with the sienna, quest, odyssey etc.....opening up some room if they want to bring in a sporty van/wagon such as the Mazda4. (Especially if Honda makes good and launches their Latitude and Mitsubishi and Toyota counter with their Grandis and Wish respectively.
  • waywardzeekwaywardzeek Member Posts: 2
    Hi All..
    Just made a heck of a deal on a Tribute 2WD ES with all options (Cold Package, Towing Package, Lux package) in Texas!
    List Price $25,680
    Current Rebate $2,000
    Final Neg. Price $21,000!!!
    Process:
    The best way to deal on a car is to have two different dealerships fight each other on price. Here's how;I went to the first dealership, test drove the car, got a business card from the Salesman. Told him I am shopping around and left. (I made sure he knew my name and the Tribute style that I wanted) The next day I went to a second dealership and again Test drove the car. I stated to the salesman "I will buy this Tribute today, question is will it be from you?". I then asked the dealer his best price. After which I then called the original salesman and stated the offer, he of course countered with a lower price. I did this for about an hour and each time the opposite salesman would offer a lower price. Finally got them down to $21,000 price! Tip: Make sure you threaten to walk out at least once, if they don't stop you, then you know it's the bottom price. Always gets an extra $200!
    Also, when it comes to Financing (if you are buying) you can bargain on the Extended warranty, I got 6/75 for $600 (well worth it)
    Love the tribute, WAY better than Escape in features, price and quality.
    If anybody wants to know more please respond to this article. Good luck to you all. Make sure you get the best deal!!!
    -J
  • twdnj08721twdnj08721 Member Posts: 6
    did you also get 0% financing? had read something about extra $2000 off or 0%financing
  • avanteguyavanteguy Member Posts: 15
    finally i am here , i know it has taken me a while but if any one is in the market for a tribute ,you can ask me anything you like , anything you need to know i will let you know ......i have been working for mazda now for a while and i drive a tribute so i have hands on info for any one who may have concerns .ask away people
    Please remember that soliciting business is not permitted on the Town Hall boards!

tidester, host
    Where is his post does he offer to sell anything?
    Where is his post does he offer to sell anything?

You likely would not have seen the post had he offered anything to sell. I merely posted a friendly reminder! :-)

tidester, host
  • firstovfirstov Member Posts: 31
    Hey, has anyone experienced tranny shudder?
    It happens on my ES-V6 sometimes at about 40-45 mph on low RPMs when going downhill and I'm trying to accelerate (gently).
    Sounds like it does not know to which gear to switch for 0.5 sec producing "drrrrrr" sounds..
  • jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    OK, I've spent the last several days reading a lot of posts stating good & bad regarding the Tribute. The setup seems to be a pretty good fit for the wife & I, as we are looking to get back to 4-doors & some cargo space.

The problem is, that I simply can't get a feeling on whether or not a new '03 model is going to be reasonably reliable vehicle. I don't care to trade one set of problems with another.

I would love to take advantage of Mazda's 0%/60-months financing incentives. And I think it is great that Mazda has move to a 4/50k warranty + loaner car on maintenance.

Can I get some people to chime-in their gut feelings, like the Trib is xx% good or scale of 1-10 (10 best) as far as being a solid machine worthy of purchasing etc. etc. And yes I've read all the Consumer Reviews (posted on Edmunds), seems out-dated.

Thanks in advance.
  • redpr5redpr5 Member Posts: 23
    We have 24,000 miles on our 02 Tribute ES. The only problems we have had are a one time stall problem that the dealer has fixed, and our back window's hinges come loose and the window rattles. They may have to replace the hinges to stop the rattling.

We generally get 18 - 19 mpg in town and around 25 mpg on the road, have plenty of room for 4 people and just enough for 5, able to carry whatever cargo we have need to carry, and feel comfortable driving in traffic or on the road. Our Continental tires still look brand new.

We feel that overall this vehicle is very good and reliable and would recommend it to others.
    with the '03 has had no problems at all - approaching 18K miles now. His is an LX-V6. I ride in it all the time, and I must say it would be cramped with five people in for very long, but with four it is plenty roomy. His has the Continental tires too, and with almost 20K they barely look used at all.

I think he gets 19-20 in mostly city driving. When I drive it, the impression I get is noticeably powerful!

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• mcallijmcallij Member Posts: 1
    03 Tribute LX V6 Lux package Wheel locks MSRP 24700 Got it for 21155.Had a trade which I feel got decent value for so all and all thought I did all right.Anybody?
  • phaedrysphaedrys Member Posts: 37
    Congrats! Sounds like a good deal. Did you get the special financing, 2000 dealer cash back, or any other goodies? (Not sure what's available in your area). I just picked up a 2003 EX with Lux, Cold, and Towing packages on Wed. Couldn't be happier :-)
  • kurokuro Member Posts: 8
    Just purchased a 2003 LX V6. Noticed that the remote for the door locking system has a panic switch that sounds and lights like a burgler alarm. Is it possible that when you order the alarm system, some technician just flips a switch or makes a connection? Has anyone figured a way to activiate the system or do you really need additional equipment? Sorry if this has been discussed previously--didn't want to look at all the previous messages.
  • onthehuntonthehunt Member Posts: 5
    I had read quite a while back that the Ford was going to put a hybrid engine in the 2003 Escape. That didn't happen for 2003 so has anyone heard if Ford or Mazda is going to use a hybrid engine in the near future? Thanks.

Oh...one more thing. I'm leaning towards buying the silver color Tribute and live in south TX. A couple people told me that metallic paint does not hold up well in the heat and sun down here. Anyone have any feedback about that?
    keeps saying "six more months". The Escape HEV is supposed to be available late this year as a 2004 model.

just want to know some fact about the tribute and how good it is.
    Here is mine:
    Idle : 600 RPM
    20 MPH: 1100~1200 RPM
    30 MPH: 1700~2000 RPM
    40 MPH: 2000~2200 RPM
    50 MPH: 2500~2700 RPM
    75 MPH(cruise): 2750 RPM
    75 MPH(accelerate): 2900~3100 RPM
    Thanks for taking this survey