Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Tribute

Comments

• tony3tony3 Member Posts: 1
    Im thinking of getting a mazda tribute 05. I think its a great car, and am probably going to go with pkg 2. I never use the moonroof and think that the leather is more worth the money. I think aftermarket side steps and other is much more reasonable in price and quality then the dealers. I also feel that it handles much better then the 05 escape. Does anybody disagree about anything?
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    an 01 Escape XLT V6 4WD and an 04 Tribute V6 ES 4WD. This weekend we took a trip in the Tribute over the Cascade range into Central Oregon. We have made this trip multiple times with both vehicles. Yes, you are correct. The Tribute does have a more "sporty" feel. Also feels more agile and yet has a more of a firm road feel than the Escape. The Trib is also quieter on the road than the Escape. The 05 is even more of an improvement over the 04.. You are make a great choice. Getting the 2.3 or 3.0? If you don't tow or haul the 2.3 in 4WD form will do you just fine... However, if you like power... go V6.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414
    I'm currently renting an '05 Escape XLT with AWD and the V6. How does the AWD system in these trucks work? Does it wait for the front wheels to slip, and then transfer power to the rear wheels? I think it has a decent highway ride, resepectable power, and a nice turning radius for an SUV. How different is the Escape from the Tribute? Does it have nicer interior plastics? If I were ever in the market for a small SUV, I'd look at the Tribute, not the FORD. My wife has an '00 Protege ES and we really like how well the car is screwed together. Everything is subjective as far as power, ride, braking, and handling go because I'm coming from a Prelude Type SH.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• rcinmdrcinmd Member Posts: 139
    Took home an '05 Tribute today. Exactly what I wanted, and I think I will be very pleased. 4 cylinder (vast improvement over last year's Ford engine), 5 speed, AWD. It has the earlier door panels, so not as much storage there as the newest ones. Got a full size spare, but had to ask them to swap. Check under all Tributes and Escapes. It is not an option, but some leave the factory with it. I do miss not having alot of hidden storage, but the cargo shield keeps out prying eyes. For the money, the Mazda is certainly a better choice than the Escape.
  • sweswe Member Posts: 8
    I have a 05 Tribute and the odometer works the same as yours. Actually my wifes Dodge Caravan is also the same, so I guess thats the way its suppose to work.
  • groovypippingroovypippin Member Posts: 264
    I've begun to hear rumours about the next Mazda Tribute. Even though the '05 Tribute was significantly updated, there is brand new model on the way for either '06 or '07.

And when I say brand new, I mean brand new. Tributes will no longer be built in North America. The next model will be built in Japan and will be highly differentiated from the Escape. It sounds like the Tribute might go upscale in the same way that the Mazda3 did and became a bit of a segment buster.

I find it interesting that there has been almost no buzz about the next generation Tribute. Maybe Mazda is just doing a good job of keeping a lid on this news.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Back in Aug. I posted that the 2008 Tribute (2007 release) is scheduled to be built on the Mazda6 Platform and get a full redesign. It will be larger than the current Tribute but not as big as an Explorer....I have not seen any drawings or pictures. I will post any details as I get them.
  • groovypippingroovypippin Member Posts: 264
    Thanks. I'm very interested in this new model. Should be quite a handler on the Mazda6 platform.
    I bet there will be a difference between the Tribute/Escape. Look at the 3 vs the Focus.. Ford is starting to use alot of its subsidearies platforms and engines in thier car line-ups. I do know there is going to be a new Escape for 06/07 model year. a new 3.5 V6 will be used. I have seen as much as 235HP for this engine. The 3.5 will also be used in other car lines for Ford/Mazda. Ford is doing the right thing by letting Mazda go its own way.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    I've read rumors that it will replace the Tribute but not be named the Tribute.

Lincoln is replacing the current Explorer based Aviator with one (using the same name too). Ford and Mercury are supposed to get their own versions of it in '07 but they will not replace the Escape and Mariner.

That's what I've gathered from other threads/forums and I can't really verify any of it for sure. It's just speculation at this point.
  • dodgedudedodgedude Member Posts: 17
    Just bought an '05 Tribute 4 cyl. auto this weekend and love it. And what a deal Mazda has with the $3k rebate (cheaper than Ford Escape or Mercury Mariner) and the alloys are nice.

I got the basic Tribute, but it seems to have plenty of power. I have no problems passing or keeping speed up hills, very nice truck. The only option that I wanted that it didn't have was cruise control. I've already looked up some aftermarket cruise controls, any suggestions? How hard is it to install? Is it better to try to find a pro to do it?
  • rcinmdrcinmd Member Posts: 139
    I have a feeling it will be an expensive proposition to put the cruise in now. I recently purchased a 5 speed Tribute - great vehicle - and of course no cruise. On the stick, it is not even offered by Mazda. But it is on the Escape, so I checked with the local Ford dealer about the possibility of having it installed there. They said the cost of all components might exceed $400. So, I will probably do without. I find I rarely use cruise anyway. But out of curiosity, where did you find aftermarket cruise available?

And if you are looking for any accessories, I have ordered twice now from Trussville Mazda in Alabama. No shipping charges till Christmas. I received both orders in two days, and I am in Maryland. Great service, great prices.
  • freddyaudiofreddyaudio Member Posts: 6
    Hi all:

I posted this to the Escape/Tribute board a while back but had no responses. I have an '01 DX 4-cylinder 4WD with a manual. I'm pretty impressed with it so far (being a typical car person). I was looking to find out if there is a way to have the 4WD indicator light illuminate whenever the 4WD is active? Right now, from what I understand, the only time this indicator light will illuminate is when you push the "lock" button on the dash board to manually engage the system. I'd like to know whenever the 4WD is active just for curiousity sake. I do know that it works... :)
    J C Whitney listed several different types of cruise control ranging from just over $100 to $249. The one for $249 comes with instructions, all wiring, etc., etc. I don't want to go that route if it takes an engineering degree to install it, but I was hoping it was easier to install than that.
  • jafootejafoote Member Posts: 1
    Looks like the big nissan thing, my 2cnets, UGLY
  • krstoflethkrstofleth Member Posts: 2
    I would'nt be so anxious about buying either. I ordered my 2001 tribute, waited 6 months for it. Its been nothing but trouble ever since. The transmission has to be replaced at 61000miles. My sister has the 2001 escape. Its not any better. Just think twice about this. theres a lot of cars out there. Get a good one.
    the posts about wind noise, and after 1000 miles, no excessive wind noise at all. It doesn't matter if the radio's on or off, it's quiet (and I have very good hearing!), and it's actually quieter inside than many other cars I've had. Shifts smoother than my Mazda 6 did, good power too for a 4-cyl. I hope this means I got a good one.......
    I am sure yours will be fine. I own an 01 Escape XLT V6 4wd with just about 50K miles and not one problem. I have done regular maintenance to this vehicle. I had the trans fluid changed at about 25K, oil every 3K, tires rotated regularly, radiator flushes every about 15K, air filter changes every 12K, ect... Take care of the vehicle and it will take care of you. By the way, I also own an 04 Tribute ES V6 4WD with about 8K miles and not one problem. Enjoy your new vehicle. Your choice was the right choice you have a nice vehicle.
  • bear925bear925 Member Posts: 7
    I've got an '02 Tribute LX- power sterring unit/front end went out and had to be replaced at 30k- set of tires also was gone from front end shimmy- then at 62k transmission went out totally while driving at 40-45 mph- just went into neutral- couldn't go forward or reverse-car had the non-cranking problems too- trying to negotiate with dealer now-want over $3000 to fix- I'm looking for my zoom zoom else where-
    It sure is driving very well. It's only a 4 cyl., but it seems to have great power. I'm hoping to keep this one for a long time. The dealer told me to change the oil every 3750 miles, but I'm used to changing it every 3000. Sooner is better, right?
  • mike835mike835 Member Posts: 17
    ... How do you like it? Any problems or disappointments ? I hope not.

What kind of gas mileage are you getting? What else did you look at before buying the

Tribute ?

Did you own a Mazda before this purchase ?

Still considering a Tribute and an X-Trail but haven't really looked closely at either yet - looking for other's experiences just now.

Thanks for your input.
    3 words......I love it! I had a Mazda6, and it was nice too, lots of power, but the driving position was very uncomfortable (especially the right leg). I wanted something with more utility so I moved into the Tribute (automatic). I'm averaging about 23 to 24 mpg, which is what I was getting in the 6. I only have 1250 miles on it so far, but this is the most fun I've had driving.

It drives more like a car than a truck, but it still sits up high so you get a great view of the road. It handles turns really well, considering its height, and I find the steering very responsive. The 6 was tighter in turns of course, but it was much shorter, although the transmission didn't shift nearly as well as the Tribute. I had a 2000 Tacoma (reg cab 2wd) and it leaned a whole lot more in turns than the Tribute. For me, the Tribute fits me very well. I have no complaints so far.
  • abbeyabbey Member Posts: 3
    I've been researching every SUV made, for 8 months. I went to the Anaheim car show and compared suv's. Tribute offered the options I wanted at the best price and the best warranty.

I drove the Toyota, Jeep, Ford, Subaru, Hyundai,

and Honda. What helped me a lot was the side by side comparison on Edmunds.com . I only had 17 miles on the engine when I bought the car and you can't really tell about gas mileage for about 3 months. I've owned Toyota's in the past, this is my first Mazda. So far I love it. (But it's only been a week.) All it's known is rain, so far and it handles really well.

Good Luck.
    I believe oil change are kind of a personal choice these days. Some say, let it go unitl 4K or 5K. Myself I change it every 3K or so. Don't forget about the transmission fluid changes too!! I truely believe this is why automatic transmissions fail from EVERY automaker. You will get the story from people that have had their transmissions fail. Yes, I do feel sorry for them. But you have to ask did they service it? abuse it possibly? Keep fluids changed like oil, transmission fluid, radiator fluid ect.. Have tires rotated ect.. your vehicle will last you for many, many miles. All vehicles these days should last easily 100K when properly maintained.
    Mazda will offer a hybrid Tribute for the 2007 model year.
  • dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    Congrats on your Tribute, we sound alot alike.. I really wanted an 05 Outback XT, but the car cost almost 10K more then the loaded Tribute that I purchased. I cannot complain about my purchase either, and will have to wait to comment on reliability, but I can say that the dealer experience has been very good.
    I looked at everything very carefully and went with the Tribute based on price, performance, reliability, etc.

I am averaging about 21mpg in mixed driving (80% city, 20% highway). Since the car is new (bought in November) I am not pushing it very hard, but I also expext gas mpg to possible increase when the engine is more worn in.

Prior to this car, I have owned two other Mazda's (RX-7's) but this is the first Mazda I have owned in about eight years. The dealer is great, and I cannot complain about my decision.

My other car is a 2002 Nissan Altima SE and I really liked Nissan.. They do not sell the X-trail in the US.. Is this similar to the Xterra? If so, the Tribute and the Xterra are really different from each other. The Tribute is meant for more onroad driving whereas the Xterra really shines offroad...
    My Tribute is a week old now, and I've noticed something that I'm not sure was there when I bought it. When I first start the car and back out and have to use the brakes, there's a slight noise. It almost sounds like it's rubbing. It's very faint. BUt then it goes away in about 100 feet. Has anyone else experienced this???
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Most likely it's the ABS brakes doing their initial self test.

Congrats on the new Tribute!

Steve, Host
    You're right Steve, it is the ABS brakes doing their test. I called the service dept. at Mazda and they confirmed it. I listen to every new noise it makes though.

I know it's not broken in yet, but it just turned 200 miles and it doesn't need gas for another almost 1/4 of a tank. I love it.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    When you have NVH, you're attuned to NVH!

Translation - when you have new vehicle high, you're attuned to noise, vibration and harshness.

After 20,000 miles, you'll just turn up the radio and shrug off everything except the muffler dragging on the pavement, LOL.

Mazda Mania chat starts in ten minutes - link is on the left. Come join in.

Steve, Host
    The X-trail has been in Canada for a few months if not longer ( more likely a year ?) They must be using us as a N.A. proving ground after acceptance in Australia and Europe. When they bring it to the States they know they will be grabbed up in a hurry because we all want what we can't have ... but when we can - well, look out! I think the X-trail is more for the wanna be off roader but really for the nice presence at the ski hill. From the little I understand the Xterra is much more rugged and in line with the Land Rover - but I'm wide open for correction on all fronts!

I'm glad you're happy with the Tribute - thanks for your comments.
    But isn't it the ugly "car/truck/station wagon" that a link was posted here a while back ?

Hybrid is good but we want to look good too !?
    Thanks for your comments Abbey. Glad to see the brake noise wasn't a problem. We don't want to pay out a bundle to have unexpected noises or problems so soon. Kind of shakes your confidence for a while. I'm driving a Cirrus which is nothing but a money pit and confidence shaker - that's why I'm looking ...
  • j30j30 Member Posts: 30
    After researching for a year I finally took the plunge and picked up an 05 Tribute and really like it so far.

Violet Gray

package 3

air bags

dimming mirror

bumper step plate

wheel locks

cargo net

This is my first SUV but I think I will be comfortable in this and I really did not need a monster SUV. I only hope that it will be as dependable as my Mazda Millenia which has been great, we are now a two Mazda family!
    Thanks for you comments Violet and I hope the Tribute lives up to all (and more) of your expectations.

I have been looking for a while and like the looks of the Tribute. But that's what sold me on the Cirrus I'm driving. Looks are deceptive and it is the mechanical attributes that really matter. I've sunk so much into the Chrysler that I can't afford to move on just yet- but I scared not to. But when I do I'm heading to Nissan, Toyota or Mazda. A friend just bought a Nissan X-Trail and is thrilled. That's the experience I'm after whether it be Mazda or Nissan. It won't be a GM, Chrysler or Ford. It is the Ford - Mazda connection that scares me.

Thanks, Mike
    Actually it is a new color not my name:

Violet Grey.

The color is not in the book, I originally only went in for service for the Millenia but saw the Violet Gray with Package 3 and loaded with all the options I wanted and decided what the heck, if we could make a deal I would pick it up.

After 2 days of feeling my way around I am starting to really fall for it.

Couple of nit picks though, I hate that there is no cancel button for the cruise! I do alot of rural 6 lane 55MPH driving with stop lights every five miles or so, I've always just been able to tap the cancel and coast to the light, now I have to actually brake.

Lastly, my car only says Mazda Tribute, it doesn't have an S badge or a V6 badge anywhere, is it suppose to? I saw an Escape that had a nice V6 badge, I think it is the same badge I saw on the V6 Mazda6?

Like I said only a couple of nit picks so far, on the plus side there are too many things to list hence the reason why I purchased the car.

Hope everyone is enjoying their Tribute,

Scott
    When I checked this page earlier I wondered if I had made the error .. which I had. Just think though, what a good internet forum "handle" you could have!

As you see I'm interested in the Tribute and need to be assured it is a wise choice. I gather you think that it is a wise choice. Glad to hear of people happy with their investments.

Mike
    Mike,

I can't blame you for being extra careful after experiencing the issues you have with your Chrysler. I ruled out the Jeep Liberty early on because of the reliability and depreciation issues that Chrysler has had. I too was somewhat reluctant to purchase the Tribute because of the Ford relationship (I have never owned a domestic car before, strictly Japanese and German). But after a horrible Volkswagen experience, I did as much research as possible. From what I read, Ford has really turned things around over the past few years, and while I did find some Internet posters who had problems with their Escapes/Tributes, I soon discovered this is true of any vehicle (whether it be a Honda, Toyota, or Nissan). Only time will tell for me, but I feel like I got a loaded, safe, fun to drive SUV at a tremendous value. I would say that you should take your time and if continue to have reservations, I would recommend heading in another direction such as Nissan or Toyota. Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide on and why!
    Scott,

There is a cancel button, you can either tap the brake, or click on the "OFF" button on the steering wheel :)

My car is a V6 S AWD model as well, and does not have any badges. I wonder if they stopped doing this with the 05's? Two of my neighbors have Tribute's (on 04 and an 03) and they have the badges.. Strange :)
    That makes the two of us badgless, any other people out there with an 05 that DOES sport a badge?

As far as the cruise goes, the only way to cancel and not loose your speed setting is to tap the brake, if you click on the "off", and then turn it back on you have to reset the speed. Like I said in the original post, it is a minor nit pick.

Scott

a.k.a.

Violet Gray, ha ha
  • mphxazmphxaz Member Posts: 27
    Not that I'm aware of. Didn't see any 05's on the lot with anything other than Tribute and Mazda on the back when we pick up our 05' V6 S FWD in early December. Maybe they dropped the extra badges to save a few bucks ... :-)

Marcel
    Scott,

Ah, I see what you are saying.. Maybe they saved a few bucks with both the badges, and the cancel button :)

My only complaints (minor) are:

- Lack of audio controls on the steering wheel. My other car has this, and I am spoiled :) I just think this should be standard now on everything but an entry-level vehicle. I wonder how many accidents are caused each year because somebody looked down to fiddle with the radio...

- Placement of the seat heaters.. Could they have picked a more awkward spot? (For those of you who do not have heated leather seats, the button is on the bottom left hand side of the seat for the driver (opposite side for the passenger). Although I am now used to it, it is still awkward and poorly placed. Most cars have it on the dash or near the shifter.. Also, I do not like the fact that it is on a timer, and you cannot just leave them on.

Like Scott said, these are minor complaints, and for the money and options, you cannot beat the Tribute. The Tribute also has many features that my other, more expensive car, does not have.
    the badges vanished half way thru the 2004 model year on the Tribute. Oddly enough, the MZ3 aquired some additional badging half way into the 2004 model year.
    I have the 6in dash CD radio in my 05 Tribute, does anynbody know who makes this radio and the specs (how many watts per channel)? I looked in the owners manual and did not see this info (unless I missed). Also, is this the same radio that is in the Escape?

Thanks!
    dc_driver,

Glad that you're a happy camper!

I have some friends that are just as happy with their recent Nissan X-Trail purchases.

Comments like your are really valuable and helpful because it seems that we have similar concerns and we "are coming from the same place ..."

I agree that all makes and models have their problems. When we feel burnt by one we move onto another based on first impressions and our research in hopes of preventing being burnt again.

It is true that you can see other posts of people who are completely disgusted with their older Tributes and any other vehicle for that matter but we hope the manufacturers learn from past problems and the current year is closest to perfection possible.

My parents once had a '67 Dodge Polara, then a Monaco, followed by a Newport Custom which was like driving an arm chair - really nice. Years later my father bought a Dodge 600 convertible. So product loyality has played a part ... but no longer.

Comments like yours and others help the decision making process together with, like you, all the research I can do. Someone should put the fun back in car purchases.

I think my decision was made a few years ago when I saw a Tribute with Quebec plates at a Nova Scotia beach - I really liked the look. Now I just want to make sure that decision is based on more that my first impressions. Thanks - enjoy your Tribute ...tell me this, if you don't mind - will a 4'x8' sheet of plywood fit in the back with the rear door and window closed?

Mike
    Scott,

You and dc_driver are badgeless but happy!! This is good.

I bet the V6 badges can be found on e-bay.

Its strange they would cut out this ornamentation, because it is the little things that help to dress up the final package.

Do I see that you may be considering adopting the Violet Gray handle ??? "LOL"

Drive safely,

Mike
  • mphxazmphxaz Member Posts: 27
    Hi DC,

On the MazdaUSA.com web site, they say this about the premium radio:

190-watt, 7-speaker premium audio sound system including 2 tweeters & subwoofer

Sorry, no mention about who manufactures it. Not sure if it's the same as what's available on the Escape. The Ford site lists a MACH audio system available as an option on the Escape.
    Thanks for the info. I am not complaining about the radio, I think it sounds better than radios in vehicles that cost considerably more money..