Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Tribute

Comments

• turksteritisturksteritis Member Posts: 95
    Canadian Tire & Walmart sell mudflaps that look factory for that vehicle & are about $30 a pair.
  • sweswe Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the advise and info, I'm going to take my time on this one to make sure everything fits properly. :)
  • rg8729rg8729 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 6cyl 05 Tribute. I installed a Trailer Hitch and noticed a pigtail or connector under the rear bumber. It looks like it could be a wiring connector for a trailer, is this correct and if so, what type of connector would I need to purchase?
    Thanks
    RG
  • mikezakmikezak Member Posts: 95
    Just curious,...although listed as available, has anyone seen a 4 Cyl, AWD Tribute on the lot?

Thanks.
  • nfldrocknfldrock Member Posts: 5
    When the low fuel comes on, how many km's approx can I go before it runs out, I have a fwd 4 cyl

thanks
  • rcinmdrcinmd Member Posts: 139
    I bought mine, a 4 cyl, 5 speed, back in November at Brown's in Fairfax, Va. Interestingly, when I checked last month, their web site stated they had 3 with the 5 speed, even though some have said that configuration was no longer available.
    My local dealer may still have a 4 cyl automatic AWD on the lot.
  • dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    http://money.cnn.com/2005/05/25/Autos/mazda/index.htm

Found another article that seemed to imply that the Tribute will still be around..

"In Mazda's new global naming strategy, crossover-type sport-utility vehicles (SUVs) will carry the CX designation (CX-7); core vehicles will continue to carry the name MAZDA and a number, based on vehicle size (MAZDA2, MAZDA3, MAZDA5, MAZDA6); rotary-engined sports cars carry the RX designation (RX-8) and piston-engined sports cars carry the MX designation (MX-5, as will be seen on the all-new Mazda MX-5 Miata in the United States). Tribute, MPV and B-Series Truck will continue with their current nomenclature."
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    The Tribute isnt going away anytime soon....all their upcoming SUV/Corssover type vehicles are larger and more expensive than the Tribute...leaving a nice space in the line up for the Tribute.
  • kelleyartistkelleyartist Member Posts: 3
    My 2005 Mazda Tribute have been creaking, ticking, groaning since 2000 miles. It now has 8000 miles on it.
    The Dealer (wood pontiac mazda) calls it "flex" sounds, says they can do nothing to fix it, and since they hear it in various intensity in all Tributes they test drive, they call it "normal;"
    I disagree. A brand new car should not sound like an old wooden boat. I got the Factory Rep to drive it; he determined that sure, it has alot of noise, but this does not affect the value of the car and said Mazda will do nothing to take care of it.
    So now I have a new car that is driving me crazy. The sounds come from all doors. I have to pursue the Lemon Law. I hope anyone else who experiences this will contact their dealer to complain. Who else has this problem with their Tribute?
  • loblollyloblolly Member Posts: 4
    This is my second Tribute-the first being a 2001. This year's model is quieter than the 01 for sure! There is much less wind noise and tire thrum. I still think the Tribute is a great buy for the money! I do wish there was the on demand 4 wheel drive feature like on the CRV but all and all I like the vehicle
    Bummer kelley! Have you tried contacting the store manager as well as Mazda themselves? My first Tribute had a slight rattle in back but they fixed that by replacing a back door latch. Try applying some WD-4- to the door rubber mouldings. That will stop the creaking..I hope..
  • selfshiftselfshift Member Posts: 7
    Any news on installing cruise on your 5-speed? Just bought ours 3 days ago, it's a wonderful pocket SUV at a diminutive price, the only feature missing being the cruise control.... I am interested in finding out whether the Ford unit actually fits/works on the Tribute (can't think of any reason why it wouldn't) and whether I can just buy the module from a Ford dealer or I'd have to go through some shenanigans to get it. Also, since the automatic has steering wheel mounted controls and replacing the whole wheel would be rather expensive, where would you place the dash controls for the unit? Also, any experience on installing non-OEM kits, such as Audiovox? Thanks....
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Definietly try some WD-40 or a silicon lubricant. Also, if the doors are creaking the delership can tighten/adjust hinges. Get mad, get serious, don't give them room to move and squiggle out of this one. My wifes 04 Tribute ES V6 4WD :mad: has absolutly no squeaks/rattles and is hands down more quiet than my 01 Escape XLT V6 4WD
  • j30j30 Member Posts: 30
    I tried using a spray silicone all around the window and let it run down the tracks but this did not help my creaking window. I plan on bringing it up again when it is in for the next service call.

The tape on the rear hatch window does work, so if anyone is getting a cluncking noise from the hatch when hitting a bump, just put electrical tape on the "U" on the glass hatch.
    It really is a shame that we even have to talk about this in 2005! I firmly believe the fit and finish, squeaks and creaks issues are STRICTLY Ford related!-remember the gear shift lever on 2001 models! My Madza 6 was flawless build wise in this regard and built in a Michigan plant-not by Ford! You said the Trib is quieter than your Escape? My 2005 Tribute is much quieter than the first 2001 Trib I had and maybe close to or a smidgen quieter than my M :confuse: azda 6
  • boxersboxers Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2005 Tribute in Sept 2004 and love it. I must have had a senior moment cuz I ordered the Mystic Black paint. I guess I figured I had nothing to do but wash and wax my car. My model has the matching trim on the Bumpers, Door panels and Rockers. (Not the charcoal) By late winter I noticed a little grey on the raised profiles of the trims after I washed the winter salt spray off especially just in front of the rear wheel. I thought it was just poor washing but after investigating I found the paint was turning grey. Now, months later, every raised edge, bottom edge, flair and even the bottom of the rear bumper cover is turning grey. Its especially noticeable with the gloss black and I'm sure the charcoal doesn't show at all. I've been to the dealer and body shop several times who all agree it's a paint adhesion or hardness problem on the trim panels. The problem is that MAZDA'S District Rep disagrees and says its due to the environmental conditions and road conditions. Has anyone had any similar experience?

Thanks
  • kelleyartistkelleyartist Member Posts: 3
    Definitely pursue this. I too have had poor response from Mazda District Rep regarding the maddening noise in my Tribute (see #1628 above). Mazda has to be responsible for such an obvious defect. Don't let them off the hook--contact Mazda itself, in fact, ask the district rep for the name of his supervisor. I am currently collecting data from other Tribute owners and going to present it to the Mazda North American Operations--the district rep gave me the name of his supervisor. You should be furious at being treated like an idiot. They will always try to wiggle out of obvious criticisms so they are not out any money. My district rep told me that Mazda will only take up to a $4000 loss of any vehicle (if a buy back is involved), and if he had filed a report (as he did in my case) they will never take the car back because they have to loose too much money. Of course, Mazda's motto is "always have a satisfied customer" but in our cases that does not apply.
    WOW! SCARY as mine is black also. It's really hard to believe (although I do believe you!) that Mazda would give you the brush-off like that! It seems at least the dealer would help some! I cannot help but believe that Ford's in this some place! At the rate they're going the AND GM will soon be bankrupt!
  • kstressedkstressed Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up a 2001 tribute to test-drive for the weekend. Can anyone offer their thoughts on this vehicle. I am finding that the gears are difficult to shift - is this typical or a problem? I have yet to get my mechanic to inspect the car, but so far it seems nice (aside from the gears).
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    What do you mean? We need more specific info about the "gears are difficult.."
  • heyjude1heyjude1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Tribute and have had problems with the clutch ..... it shudders in first gear. Check this out! The gears are a bit difficult to shift too, but that doesnt seem to be a problem.
  • webdoc90webdoc90 Member Posts: 2
    2002 Tribute EX - I obtained 4 DIN tools to remove the factory radio but the top 2 tools do not seem to be catching. Any advice?
  • webdoc90webdoc90 Member Posts: 2
    My read passenger side door will not open from the inside or the outside. I took the door panel off (very easy) and had a family member unlock the doors with the electronic lock control on the driver's door and heard the receiving unit (generic name) try to unlock the door. However I cannot open the door still. Any idea what I can do to open that door to fix the problem?
  • autonutsautonuts Member Posts: 138
    can anyone tell me from your experience how the Tribute/Escape performs with the 2.3L - 4cyl. all-wheel-drive? What I'm considering to use it for is occassional camping trips pulling a smaller trailor with canoe and camping gear in the trailor and 4 people. Would this engine driveline configuration be up to the task for the occassional camping trip? I'd appreciate anyone who owns this type of vehicle with the above described layout! All others, too! :)
  • ramzey28ramzey28 Member Posts: 130
    I bought the 2.3 L auto 4x4 about a month ago (tribute-2005). I picked the 2.3L for better gas mileage. I just took it on a 400 mile trip and it did well. With any 4 cyc it down shifts more than I like but it was very responsive and its meant to work for you at higher Rpm's. Being that it can only tow 1500 lbs I not sure how it would do pulling a trailer and 4 people. Maybe if the trip is short but I would lean towards the v6 if you plan on longer and more frequent trips. I know you said occasionally, Im not sure what the weight of the camper is. That would be the driving factor. The 2.3L can be a little sluggish at first (taking off) but then it gets its zoom zoom. It was worth saving on gas and about 1500 to 2k over the v6. I would lean to the Tribute due to the higher rebate and longer warranty. I also think the resale is going to be a little higher (less on the road). (Engine is suppose to have more aluminum and geared differently but Im not sure about that.) Good Luck. I paid 16750 for a 22800 sticker price.
  • snowmansnowman Member Posts: 540
    What your dealer tells you is correct, but one thing I don't get that it is very easy to fix it. I don't get why they brush you off like that... :confuse:

In fact, you can fix it your self and not ruin new car experience. You need to apply silicone (spray can) to rubber moldings and inside of the door frame where molding meets the door. For some reason,I guess due to nature of the rubber they used, this flex sounds may come and they are normal.
    I have 05 XLT and 05 S, heard the same creaking sound from door frames last week when temperature raised above 90 and applied silicone spray. After 10 minutes and $4.5, the creaking sound was gone. :) and since then never heart it again.
    If you are going to pull anything with a Tribute you must go with a V6. The cost is minimal when considering the advantages and peace of mind. Get the tow package also. I own the Tributes brother, the Escape. I have the V6 4WD, XLT with tow package. I tow my two watercraft, gear and sometimes 5 people. No way would I do this with a 4cyl...
    to both - ramzey28 and scape2 for your replies. Do either of you know what kind of deals are out there for the 4x4 v6 right now and what is a good price for it? Thanks again!
    I find about 5k off escape and you get the home depot accs choice right now and close to 6k off on tribute. Both would be a good deal. This does include financing rebates.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Thanks for your reply. That's a really good deal for both! Are you referring to the 4x4 v6 with that discount? Thanks again! :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Even though it's a Mazda chat, I suppose we can talk about the Pontiac Solstice some too. :)

Steve, Host
    That would be for any type of model/option vehicle on the Ford or Tribute. Should not matter what 4wd or 2 wd, or engine type. Hope that helps. The guy that wrote he got 7500 off got an awesome deal, I have seen anything close to that.
    I would watch the ads in your city for your local Mazda dealer. Or get an Idea of what the moel level you want is going for by looking around on the internet at pricing. I own both a Tribute and an Escape. The Tribute has more of a sporty feel to it, the Escape more of a truck like feel. My Escape is an 01 and hers is an 04. The Trib is quieter and feels more solid. Improvements have been made its very obvious.. Good luck in your search. :D
  • socomfiresocomfire Member Posts: 5
    The Tow package on the Tribute, is it just the hitch and wiring? Or do they have a transmission raditor? If they do, can they add after I bought it, can I take it back to the dealer and get that package added?

Thanks
  • va_guyva_guy Member Posts: 12
    I test drove a 2005 5-speed manual Tribute 4-cylinder FWD last week and was pleasantly surprised by the power/torque with this setup (I was considering a 5-speed 4-cylinder as this would be primarily used for commuting 80 miles/day). The one thing that concerned me was that the brakes felt very "weak" when stopping the vehicle, as if the brake pads where not making good contact and the vehicle would not "stop on a dime" even though I was using a lot of force on the pedal. I don't know if this could be because this was the only 4-cylinder 5-speed on the lot and it appeared that it had not been driven in a while. I know the 6-cylinders have disc brakes on all 4 wheels but the 4-cylinders have disc brakes on the front and drums on the back, but I still thought the brakes would respond better. Does anyone have any insight on this, should the braking be that much different between the "s" and "i" versions?

Also, does anybody out there know if the 4-cylinder engine use a timing chain versus a timing belt?

Thanks for any/all responses!
    I have a 2005 Tribute I 4wd 4 cyc and the brakes seem fine. Could be just that one you test drove or by sitting awhile it didnt grab like it should. The v6 might stop better due to all disc brakes (not sure why they didnt put it on the 4cyc, not a huge cost difference) but drums on the back have always been reliable. I only have 700 miles on mine and I like the 4cyc, yes it down shifts more than the v6 but the cost difference and the gas savings, I thought it was worth it. Im getting 22 around town. Should go up once I get more miles on the car.
  • mikezakmikezak Member Posts: 95
    Well I did it -- after much deliberation and research -- brought an '05 Tribute 'i', w/PK1, and 1 yr free Sirius Radio. Got it for $18K.

But here is a question for the group. I have always changed my own oil (use Mobil 1), and have in my last 2 vehicles purchased the handyFumoto Oil Change Valve. The two sites on the Web that sells the valve conflict on what size (model #) to use with the 2.3L DOHC engine; one says F106, the other F107 -- very cryptic to find out as it also references other engines and model years as well.

Has any 05 Tribute owners with the 2.3L (or Ford Escape w/2.3L) used the Fumoto valve? If so, what size did you use?????....and did you need the adapter???

Thanks.
  • rcinmdrcinmd Member Posts: 139
    The 2.3L Mazda four cylinder uses a silent timing chain....no belt changes needed.

I have a 4 cyl, AWD 5 speed, and its braking seems pretty good, though I do intend to replace the front pads with an aftermarket ceramic pad to lessen dust build-up.

Now, one thing I noticed is that in my case, the parking brake handle must be pulled up to its full travel in order to hold the vehicle. I wonder if that is normal.
  • maximusprimemaximusprime Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Mazda Tribute with a 3.0L Engine. I'm looking for a Throttle Body Spacer. Does anyone know if one is made for this engine or vehicle?
  • solid_snakesolid_snake Member Posts: 1
    Did you check the child proof locks?
    that may be it

Hope this helps
  • dodgedudedodgedude Member Posts: 17
    I have a 2005 Tribute i 2wd auto with 10.5K miles on it now. At around 10K, the power and gas mileage started getting really good, and I haven't done anything except 3 oil changes to date. I was averaging 22 mpg and have now hit 24 on the last 3 tanks (same driving habits/roads as always). The 'zoom-zoom' has also increased, definitely feels like there are more ponies than the 153 stated. I'm really liking this! Has anyone else had this experience after a certain mileage?
  • mastertookie51mastertookie51 Member Posts: 1
    can u tell me wrer i can find the fuel filter
  • vaunie83vaunie83 Member Posts: 2
    I own an '03 Tribute ES (4x4). Last year while on vacation, the radio wouldn't turn on and once it did turn on, it wouldn't turn off and we had to remove the fuse under the hood. Mazda replaced radio. Well, this year while on vacation, went to start the vehicle (30,000 miles), heard a loud boom, smoke came from under the hood. Lifted hood and saw the the plastic cover over cables and hoses was shattered, all cables and hoses blown off. Had to have car towed 150 miles to nearest dealer. Service manager called the next morning, said the intake manifold was cracked. He said he had never seen this happen before (said it was a fluke thing!). They weren't sure if the backfire caused the manifold to crack or if the manifold was cracked and that caused the backfire. Thank goodness it didn't burn the rental house down!!! Has anyone heard of this happening before?
    Nope, your the first I have heard of this type of failure.....
  • newredtributenewredtribute Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know when the mud flaps will be available for the 2005 Tribute? I think it's a little strange that there are none available and they are already pushing the '06's. My dealership thinks it's weird too. They cant believe there arent any. They were given some to stock, but said Mazda told them they didnt work onthe '05s....anyone have any info on this?

Just got mine on Monday, b-day present, and I really like it.
  • cklckl Member Posts: 3
    We just bought a 2005 Tribute i and went to the dealer to buy a rear cargo cover and they wanted $212.50 for what is a glorified window shade. I couldn't believe it. Does anyone know if the Ford Escape cargo covers will fit the Tribute? For some reason, the Ford cargo covers are cheaper.
    the Web for car parts. Don't buy form the dealer! Mark-up is out of this world! What I do is I find a site that is selling Mazda parts, factory OEM parts. Find the site with the lowest price. Call your Mazda dealer and see if they will honor internet pricing. If not, buy from the internet. All the dealership has asked from me is I bring a print-out of the internet site in so they can see it is an apples to apples comparison. I can't see why a Ford cover would not fit a Mazda vehicle. Make sure the colors will match however...Ebay too is a great resource for parts.
  • sweswe Member Posts: 8
    Wow, and I thought I paid to much.
    Up here in Canada I got mine for approx US$156.00 at my Mazda dealer. Ford dealers I checked with where more than US$220, so I guess the situation is reversed up here.

There are two grey ones right now on ebay, currently at $51 and $36.
    Good luck
  • su_a_vesu_a_ve Member Posts: 82
    Well, that's what the Escape guys say - I was looking at another board (mostly of the twin brother owners) and that's what they all say. After 7K or some after 10K, the engine finally brakes in and with it comes more pep and better gas mileage...

I just got an 05 i 4WD...