Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Tribute

Comments

• phessephesse Member Posts: 3
    When I took my new Tribute (3.0 L, V6, Classic 2005) the first time to the beach I did not deflate the tires and got bogged in the ruts. Sand was very soft and all 4 wheels were covered with sand (about 1/3rd). Tried to reverse down the embankment, but none of the wheels moved (I was in 4WD lock). Same happend again in the country trying to get up a steep hill. Mazda had no answer to this.
    Could this be normal and if so, why?
  • hcorhcor Member Posts: 15
    Could you explain more, since 2005 4wd lock is no longer available on the Tributes. Are you referring what happens when the 4wd overheats instead?
  • phessephesse Member Posts: 3
    My Tribute is "left hand drive" (used in Australia) and is a 2005 model with 4wd lock. I loose power on all 4 wheels when they are bogged in soft sand or going up a steep hill slowly. Engine response is normal when push down on accelerator (like being in "Neutral"). Mazda says this is normal and has something to do with the torque converter. This doesn't help me next time I'm bogged in sand and nobody there to pull me out.
  • skiierbirdieskiierbirdie Member Posts: 1
    I have a '04, 6cyl, 25k Tribute. The best mileage I have gotten is 18 m/g with about 1/2 city and 1/2 highway. Can this be improved mechanically?
  • lily62004lily62004 Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased a 2006 Tribute, 4cyl, 5speed 4 days ago. I fell in love with it and on the way home from the dealership within a mile the check engine light came on and the temp flew to hot. We called the dealership and they came and got us. The clamp on the radiator hose wasn't completely right and blew off. They towed it back and fixed it assuring us that it was a factory mistake. OK this morning the check engine came on again. I pulled off the road and after about a minute it went off. Temp gauge didn't move. I had heard nothing but good about these vehicles, should I ask for another as I'm afraid this one is junk or what?
    Looks like it may have overheated. That is bad for the engine. I would not take any chance and ask that the engine be looked over carefully to ensure that no damage has occured. That should be a waranty item.
    It was looked over that day and no damage was done. Today I found out the computer needs to be replaced. I am so disappointed. My very first brand new vehicle and I have had it in the shop for two days. Warranty or not the inconvenience isn't worth it. I told them to get me another one as I feel this one was not properly checked before leaving the factory. :lemon:
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    The Tribute is a good vehicle. You need to make them give you another like vehicle you purchased. Let the dealer work out the bugs with the factory, not on your time or your $$$.. My wifes Tribute is now about 1.5 years old and it has been a great vehicle... Good luck to you..
    Good for you, it looks like you picked-up one that was built on a bad day. We have had ours for close to 2 years now without any problems. I hope Mazda comes through for you and realizes that they have responsibility in this.
    The latest news is that Mazda will discontinue both the Tribute and the MPV and replace them with a more upscale CX-9. Ford is considering the same with the Escape. Who in the h.... came up with that one? I hope people from Ford/Mazda monitor these discussions as I for one am not interested in paying an extra 10k for an upscale vehicle that could look like the Murano (Yuk!) How can we get our voices heard and stop this stupidity. The Tribute/Escape are proven vehicles with a good following, give us something comparable. Now, the above is based on sketchy reports, someone please correct me and provide information to the contrary. :mad:
    You won't believe it but the loaner Tribute tore up this morning. The anti-theft light came on, vehicle started jerking and stalling, check engine light came on. They are coming to get it with a wrecker. What is the deal? I'm just sick. :lemon:
    Computer went out in the loaner vehicle, today after work I have to go pick up another one and wait for them to find me one.
    You are a patient man. Lets hope that it is not a sign of things to come.
  • rsmbobrsmbob Member Posts: 13
    Hi all,
    I'm on the verge of purchasing an '04 LX and it is dark blue metallic in color. Ok, maybe I'm paranoid, but looking on the web I can see no reference for a dark blue colored Tribute...just a lighter "Calypso Blue"? Can anyone reassure me here that I'm not dealing with a repainted Tribute? It looks real clean and has about 32K miles...I'm looking forward to joining the Tribute brigade here!
  • sukispeedsukispeed Member Posts: 27
    There is an update for the Tribute before is goes away and I think we will see a Hybrid one too.
    link title
    Update Escape too
    link title
  • ckone0814ckone0814 Member Posts: 71
    I have a chance to buy a real nice, low miles, used 2004 Tribute DX 4cyl 5 speed for a great price -- apparently 5 spd SUVs aren't all the rage?!?! Any thoughts on this vehicle? Thanks.
    This looks like an Australian writer? This is nice to see for the Escape/Tribute/Mariner. I am really surprised (and glad) to see Ford isn't letting the Escape fade away that easy, if at all...
    Hope to see more in the coming months on this update..
    Thanks for the news! :)
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Mazda just announced today that there will be no Mazda Tribute in 2007. There is a slight possibility that there will be a completely redesigned 2008 model released in early 2007.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's an article about it (KansasCity.com)

Steve, Host
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    The US version of the Tribute will return in March 2008. Production begins in Jan 2007.

Spy shots of the future Tribute have been floating around the internet for a few weeks now.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I added a couple pics of the future Tribute on my carspace...
  • ramzey28ramzey28 Member Posts: 130
    Mazda Tribute Going on Hiatus in U.S. Until 2008
    Date posted: 02-23-2006

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Ford will not produce the Mazda Tribute SUV at its Kansas City plant after May, killing plans for a 2007 model, company officials said.

The Tribute will be back for the 2008 model year, built at Kansas City starting in January 2007. The Mazda SUV is a sibling to the Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner, which are also built at the Kansas City facility.

The Kansas City plant is building gasoline-electric hybrid versions of the Escape and Mariner, and Ford has said it will vastly increase hybrid production to a quarter-million hybrids built per year by 2010.

Meanwhile, the 2007 Tribute, with a refreshed and more rounded appearance, was given its world debut at Australia's Melbourne Motor Show in early February.

What this means to you: Of course. This makes a lot of sense.
  • ramzey28ramzey28 Member Posts: 130
    Take a look at the hidden photo shots of the new escape and tribute on Edmunds....looks bigger (but I doubt it)-- seems like a face lift only.
    Here's the link:

Spy Shots: 2008 Ford Escape (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • lancer2006lancer2006 Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 Tribute 6cyl is one year old with 20,000 miles. I just started hearing a rattle at the rear of the vehicle in the cargo area. I checked out the spare tire and any other area that might have a loose bolt and found nothing. As soon as I drive down the road, I hear the rattle and loose nuts and bolts hitting one another. Has anyone else out there experienced this phenomena? I would like to fix it myself if I can. If not I will have to bring it back to dealer... which means bucks. The dealer told me that the warranty is up at 12,000 miles. I thought Mazda had a 48,000 warranty... so much for warranties. Let me know if you have experienced this also.
    You dealer is filling you full of garbage. Mazda warranty is 4 years 50,000 miles. Some people bought Mazda Tribute over Escape just because the warranty is a little longer. Get back into that dealer and read him the riot act! :mad:
  • drjay70drjay70 Member Posts: 1
    Taid,
    Did you ever find out what was wrong with your car? I am having a similar problem with my 05 tribute. The check engine light is on and the O/D light is flashing. Just strated happening this am.

JPG
  • tributeonetributeone Member Posts: 2
    I am contemplating having a duel exhaust system installed on my '05 Tribute, V6. Has anyone else done this, or is there anyone who can advise me as to the results or feasibility and/or neg/pos aspects of this suggestion?

Thx,
    Ken
  • tributeonetributeone Member Posts: 2
    Although you mentioned checking out the cargo area, have you removed the cover and looked into the jack storage compartment to see if something could have come loose?

Also, you indicated that you checked out the spare. I believe the spare is securely bolted to the undercarriage and should not cause any movement on its stud.

Also, have someone ride in the cargo area to see if they can pin-point the area of your complaint. You will, or course, want to do this on an untravelled, or abandoned road for safety.

While in the back, make sure your cargo "rider" eliminates the hatch hardware as a possible source of the rattle, making sure all of the fasteners at the latch are tight.
    Also, with the vehicle parked, check the exhaust system hangers and brackets for any
    looseness.

Hope this helps.

TRIBUTE ONE
  • mztributemztribute Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    Thanks for your advice in these forums. I have an 06 Tribute. 4 cylinder, 5 speed.
    1 question, 1 concern.
    Does anyone have a recommendation for an after market cruise control?
    The concern is wind noise. At speeds 50 and higher, there is a noticeable amount. I am planning to visit the dealer first, but would those wind deflectors on the side windows help?
    Thank you in advance.
  • stigstig Member Posts: 4
    Regarding excessive wind noise, there have been posts here before, reporting that roof rack crossbars installed backwards caused a lot of noise that was eliminated by reversing them to the correct direction. Window deflectors would not reduce wind noise, unless you are talking about driving with the windows cracked open.
    The weekly Mazda chat starts in 45 minutes. The link is at the top of the page. Join us for some live zoom zoom shortly!

Steve, Host
  • nickelpetenickelpete Member Posts: 21
    My wife has a suprisingly short list of things her next car MUST have. At the top of that list are a sunroof/moonroof and a seat height (a.k.a. step-in height), above ground level, that is somewhere between that of her Mazda 626 (20") and my Dodge Ram (33").

She runs a lot of errands during a normal day. Falling down into, and climbing up out of her 626, is exhausting. The truck has the opposite effect, but is not as objectionable and she doesn't use it as much.

I cannot find this measurement for any car/suv on the web and I am disinclined to visit all of the dealerships with my yardstick. I estimate it by subtracting the front headroom value from the overall vehicle height value, but I think this is wildly inaccurate.

Since the list of possible-next cars includes the subject of this forum, I was hoping that somebody would, in their spare time, measure the height above ground to the middle (more or less) of the seat cushion (i.e. the top-center of the horizontal seating surface) and post that value here.

I have read these forums extensively over the past few weeks and I have not seen any discussion of this. I beg your pardon if I missed it and am being redundant.

Thanks in advance.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Pete,

Posting the same message over and over in different forums is called "spamming" and is frowned upon. Please focus your queries a little better and refrain from repetitious posts.

tidester, host
  • nickelpetenickelpete Member Posts: 21
    Sorry. I am most-definitely not trying to spam you. I wasn't certain if everybody monitored just one or two forums. I should have thunk. :blush:
  • yukon5yukon5 Member Posts: 1
    YES! What's up with this. I went to the dealer and they told me that they don't see a problem. What have you done? I bought a 2001 Tribute last year (used) and it has been pretty good so far. But, I have to top off the tank in order for the guage to register full. Then 20 miles down the road I am at a quarter tank. My gas mileage averages 14 -17 mph (mostly city driving). Wierd!!! Please respond.
  • caryc1caryc1 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks to posts on this message board back in 2001, I bought the newly released 2001 Mazda Tribute. It's pay back time to anyone who is considering purchasing this model used: I LOVE my Tribute. I still get a thrill seeing it - I think it looks so much better than the larger SUVs, while having plenty of seating/cargo space. More importantly, I still enjoy driving it - plenty of power for passing and very comfortable on multiple day-long trips. Mileage isn't bad for the class: 22-24 mpg. Of course I wish gasoline weren't so expensive, but I feel like all around, the Tribute has been a great performer. I hope I never have to buy another vehicle...but if I do, it will be a Mazda Tribute! :)
  • kiddynomitekiddynomite Member Posts: 4
    Dont waste your time with mazda like i did, contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration www.nhtsa.dot.gov and file a complaint on your mazda defects. I have a 2002 mazda tribute, and this is the second time i am having to replace the rotors, the first rotors and brake pads were replaced at 17,000 miles, now 10,000 miles later with 27,000 miles here we go again, warped rotors. mazda like most manufactures will deny, and not take any responsibilities to fix your vehicle, unless you file a complaint to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration compiles the complaints, and are the ones to force the manufacture to issues recalls and remedy known problems the dealer keeps denying they are aware of. Besides the rotors this has been the most unreliable vehicle, i wasted my money on. This is the last mazda i will ever purchase. Buyer beware, check the website i posted and you can view all the complaints, issues and recalls affected with your vehicle.
  • fussballfroschfussballfrosch Member Posts: 1
    Hi there, I just bought an 01 Tribute and was wondering if I could ask you a question. In my instrument cluster the little car with a key flashed every 2 seconds and I was reading in the Manual that you can disarm it, but it tells you to turn the key to the 4 position, which would turn on the vehicle (ignition). Have you had this and is it normal? Thanks, Shiela
    Please explain when it is doing this. If it is flashing when the vehicle is parked (motor off) that is OK as it is the indicator telling you that the alarm or the engine immobilizer is activated. However, if it keeps flashing when the vehicle is started, I would get that checked by the dealer.
    with my wifes Mazda Tribute ES V6 4x4. Went to the coast this last weekend and averaged 27MPG! I could not believe it. We now have about 24,000 trouble free miles on this vehicle. No problems, no complaints.
    kiddynomite.. I am in no way trying to downplay your brake issues with your Trib. Brakes/pads/rotors are a wearable item. These depend highly on what the persons driving habits are, along with driving conditions. I owned an Escape at one point and had to have my rotors/pads changed at about 50,000 miles. I had a higher quality rotor and a ceramic pad installed. May want to think aftermarket?.
  • chimpsnestchimpsnest Member Posts: 27
    Hi All, I bought my Trib brand new in 2003 (end of July to be exact). 4wd, V6. I've now got 80K miles on it, running great as far as I can tell, have had regular service, O/C's, tranny services, brakes done, etc., (still have great tread on my tires believe it or not but will probably do those before the winter).
    What should I be looking for now that my warranty is up in 20K miles? I'm thinking of paying it off and keeping it for the long haul and I'm looking for anybody w/experience w/a high mileage Trib. I understand that there are things that go on any car w/age (power steering pumps, water pumps, belts, etc.) but does anybody know of any MAJOR issues w/'03 Trib? Like intake manifold gaskets and $1200 repairs, etc.
    Next oil change I'm going to give it to my VERY good mechanic friend, have him change the oil and go over it w/a fine toothed comb and see if he sees anything that the dealer may, um, miss. I know I've got a very slight tick in the engine but the dealer never seems to be able to hear it.
    Thanks a million. :P
    you are starting to see Tribs/Escapes around the net now with 130,000 miles on them. This is as high miles as I have seen. I believe this is mostly attributed to preventive maintenance. Change oil, filters, tranny fluids, ect.. I honestly believe you will get 200,000 out of your Tribute with just plain good maintenance.. ;)
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Does anyone have a good picture or other representation of the color Mazda calls "violet gray"?

I am interested because Mazda says this will be a new color for the Mazda6. The only references I can find to this color are for the Tribute.

I found a few posts on here from 2005 that refer to that color and this from Mazda of Puerto Rico, which shows one in that color, but the actual color is not very clear.
  • dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    With the latest addition to our family, my wife and I traded in our Nissan Altima SE for a Honda Odyssey EX-L back in April. What the heck does this have to do with this forum you ask? Well, with the new Odyssey the Tribute became my commuter car (about 30 miles per day), and average around 12K miles a year. The problem is that I drive about 90% city driving and living in Northern Va, that means a lot of stop and go traffic, A/C running constantly, etc. My 05 Tribute S (4WD, purchased in 04) was averaging anywhere between 15-17MPG and with gas prices hovering around $3 (or more) a gallon here, it was starting to hurt at the pump a little...

So, I looked at my options (Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, Mazda3) and was able to get the Mazda dealer where I purchased the Tribute to do an even trade on a loaded Mazda3i Touring sedan (side airbags, moonroof, 6 disc changer, rear lip spoiler, etc). All I had to pay was TT&L (about $500). On my first tank of gas, I got close to 27MPG, and the second tank looks like it will be close to 30MPG (the EPA ratings on the 3 are 28/35).

The Tribute was a great vehicle (reliable, good in snow, comfortable), but if gas stays at $3 I will save over $1K per year. If gas prices hit $4 I would save over $1400 per year, and at $5 per gallon I would save close to $1800 per year...

Gas was not the only thing though.. I really wanted something a little more fun to drive and thought the Mazda3 was the perfect balance with owning a minivan (even though the Odyssey drove smoother than my Altima and is quicker than my Mazda3).

I also found that selling the Mazda Tribute privately was very difficult right now. I tried for several weeks and got zero hits posting on Autotrader, Ebay, Cars.com, Craigslist, etc.. I was asking for well under the Kelly Blue Book private party asking price and nobody came knocking.. I think the SUV market is starting to dry up here. For that reason I was very happy that the dealer gave me an even trade (invoice on the 3 was 17,100, and the dealer also applied another $300 on the Tribute to cover their processing fees). I was glad that the Mazda dealer stepped up and gave me a good deal..

Cheers!
  • ddoyle42ddoyle42 Member Posts: 1
    Had the identical problem. It began after Mazda repaired my liftgate latch as part of a recall. The rattle was caused by a loose part inside the liftgate latch. They were able to repair it easily, however, when they finished, the rattle was gone, but the glass wouldn't lock on the liftgate. Brought it back again for another easy fix. Now everything is fine. Sounds like you may be having the same problem.
    Had the same happen to mine. However, now that the lock has been fixed, the rattle is back. I'll get it looked at again. :sick:
    In my 2005 Tribute, I am hearing a chirp that seems to be coming at a somewhat regular interval from the mid to rear section of the vehicle. I comes on mostly on acceleration, but it can also be heard at other times. It sounds like metal to metal touching. There are times when it is not heard. Any ideas??
  • fuchsrrfuchsrr Member Posts: 5
    I bought the connector for this but the trailer lights did not work, There must be something else that is needed to make it work. Uhaul had to rig the harness to my tial lights which caused my cruise control to stop working when the night tail lights came on. Anyone else know what else is need to make the trailer lights work?

Thanks,
    Rob
  • chimpsnestchimpsnest Member Posts: 27
    I think I jinxed myself, lol. I asked a couple of weeks ago what I can expect from my 03 Trib w/80K+ miles on it as far as longevity goes, etc. (with proper maintenance of course)

Well mid July I had an O/C and sticker put on it, then noticed w/in the next week that my tranny started to slip, dropped it off @ the dealer last Sunday - needs a new tranny, thank dog I dropped 1300 for the extended warranty when I bought it, so I think this will be a $100 deductable, plus the $80 I'm spending on a rental for the weekend.

"new" tranny only comes w/a 12 month/12K warranty on it, I think that's a bunch of BS.

Whaddya think now, should I still pay her off and keep her? I like my truck, would love to hang onto it, but that NEW tranny that came w/it only lasted 80K, what can I expect out of a rebuilt/reconditioned one?

~sigh~ I really don't want to have to buy a new vehicle, I was so looking forward to getting rid of my car payment.

I wonder how much extending my extended warranty would cost, according to the company (CNA) I can call shortly before the one I have expires and renew it but I don't know if its worth it.

Thanks
    :confuse: