Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Tribute

Comments

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    E2E YOUR WRITE ON LOOKS THE MAZDA TRIBUTE OUTSIDE DOES LOOK SHARPER. I THINK THOU THE INSIDE OF THE TOYOTA WITH THE LEATHER AND WOOD GRAIN LOOKS AOT BETTER.I HAVE 2 FRIENDS THAT HAVE A 2001, BOTH SAY GAS MILEAGE AND RADDLES ARE A PROBLEM. DONT GET ME WRONG ITS LOOKS AND SOUNDS LIKE A DECENT SUV BUT A LOADED TRIBUTE ES V6 IS 24,441 INVOICE.I JUST BOUGHT THE HIGHLANDER LIMITED AT NEIL TOYOTA FOR 930.00 OVER INVOICE.MUST MAZDA DEALERS WANT MSRP WHICH IS $26,399 SO LIKE I TOLD STECAM FOR ABOUT 5 GRAND MORE I BOUGHT A SUV BY TOYOTA THAT HAS A GREAT TRACK RECORD AND RESALE WILL BE MUCH MUCH BETTER WHEN I SELL IT 4 YRS FROM NOW. GOODLUCK WITH YOUR SUV.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

stecam your almost right on your numbers. hudson toyota will go 2000.00 off msrp on the highlander but throu the town hall site i just bought a limited hL for $930.00 over invoice it took 2 months and alot of research.the es v6 tribute was$26,399 msrp so basisly thats the price. like i told e2e the workmanship and looks inside of the tribute looked chinsey.even the the way the doors sounded when i closed it.listen stecam im sure the tribute will turn out to be a decent if not good suv.but you cant dismiss toyota track record. i may of paid more but i bought a toyota plus the resale value is great on these suv's mazda resale wont be any wear nere that good luck with your suv. if any of your friends are in the new york area the toyota dealer is neil toyota 639 merrick rd lynbrook n.y. 516-887-8600 he is dealing.

you also forgot to mention that edmunds kelly;s and car an driver gave this suv a great write up on performance handling and realibility. if you test drive one you'll know what im talking about. i test drove the mazda es v6 its not in the same league.but listen thats just me. no offence intended.

the more you read the more this suv scares you off no head restraints bad gas mileage,there was 5 recalls already on this mazda raddles rear door latch squeeks etc,etc

the only problem is demand and where to get a good deal.what a suv

A MAZDA ESV6 LOADED WITH MY OPTIONS CAME TO MSRP $26,399 like you said you will pay msrp with 8.25 sales TAX the tribute comes to$28,577 plus a ad fee in new york 200.00 but forget the ad fee. the highlander is not that much more. see you on the road dude.mazda options were abs wside airbags alloy wheels, cargo net,in dash cass lux package, premeter alarm, premium audio pck, rear bumper step plate all weath mats, wheel locks. no skid control offered.

im not even going to mention the towing package and the gold emblem that i didn't include in the mazda price that brings the total to $27,000.with out the new york 8.25 tax see what im saying the highlander is a good deal the new total is 29,000.and change for a mazda and still no vehicle skid control no dual climate control no auto temp control sorry stecam i now i got a great suv and a great deal, no wood grain etc,etc,etc, good night IRENE. BRIAN125 SIGNING OFF ALSO WE FORGOT 8 SPEAKER JBS 250 WATT 6 CD CHANGER WITH CLOCK

• stecamstecam Member Posts: 15
    Not going to argue the numbers, but if you're were quoted $26.5k plus tax for your Trib, you got screwed. I got my ES (includes 6 CD in dash plus upgraded stereo, adjustable leather seats, alloy wheels, etc.) plus perimeter alarm, plus side bars, plus bug deflector, plus rear step plate, plus some other minor goodies for about $24k (got a deal on the accessories). As for the wood grain you can buy for the Trib over the net for about $200 and install in under two hours - not a big deal.

Lastly - just me, but its a bit irritating that people are still using this out of context - the first 4 recalls only affected IN TOTAL a couple of thousand cars - I think it worked out to under 1% of the cars sold. The only recall which affected any significant number of cars was the wiper recall.
  • funokafunoka Member Posts: 13
    I like 'em both, but . . . the nicer amenities in the Highlander aside (my next new car will have auto climate control!) . . . the Trib drives better for much less money. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Highlander, but face it, it's a glorified station wagon.

I also agree that the harping on the recalls is a non-issue . . . we've had no problems with our ES, which was built in January. Mileage is also improving and our Trib does not "rattle."
  • profroberts46profroberts46 Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday I became a proud owner of a Tribute DX (4 cylinder--couldn't wait until an LX or ES became available). Got a GREAT deal--under invoice, but then 4 -cylinders aren't as desirable as the 6cyl. While it won't be first on race day, it is very adequate on the highway and around town and it is 5-speed, which I really prefer.

It came with the popular equipment package, but somehow I got the 5 spoke wheels rather than the 5 spoke. I didn't draw attention to the upgraded wheels...

I did get FORD keys, however. I couldn't get the sales person to toss in a set of MAZDA keys (because he waived the $200 document fee). Has anyone else gotten FORD keys with their tribute and were you able to negotiate a swap for MAZDA keys?
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Make sure they give you Mazda keys. That is totally unacceptable! If the dealer won't take care of you, try another or call Mazda customer assistance at 800-222-5500.

:)
  • eagle30eagle30 Member Posts: 28
    I was crazy about the Trib from the 1st time I saw it back in Sept in Nashville Tn. I drove an ES and thought this is the vehicle for me. Mazda did a great job on styling, the best for the mini SUV,it looks great. Look at the HL, drove it as soon as it hit the market. Looks for me on the HL was bland, did not grab my heart. If I am going to make car payments, I need to like everything about the vehicle. I felt the HL would be the best investment in the long run, resale, trouble free etc. The arrogance of the Mazda Tribute salestaff at the beginning of this whole Trib explosion was unbearable. Than I started following this site and the Yahoo.club site,and realize for me that the Trib had to many unhappy customer out there. I am afraid of anything that Ford touches. Both vehicles have there postive and negative. Trib has all the styling and zoom for the money, but the reliability is not there yet. HL has the reliability, however it is BUTT! UGLY. Now I am a Pathfinder junkie.
    "...but the reliability is not there yet. HL has the reliability...

Maybe reliability is not the correct word. I think the initial assembly quality had some issues, but I have not noticed any post with reliability issues.

I WAS NOT QUOTED THAT PRICE. EDMUNDS AND KELLYS GAVE ME THAT PRICE WITH THE OPTIONS I LIKED. I CALLED 6 DEALERS IN THE N.Y. N.J. AREA AND THEY ALL WANTED MSRP FOR THE TRIBUTE.I DO AGREE WITH MALTB.

lets not say butt ugly you'll warm up to the hl once you start seeing them on the road.we all said that about the pathfinder when they changed the body 4 yrs ago. now they grow on you

• iam3iam3 Member Posts: 13
    I was at a stoplight the other day next to a Saab 9-3 Viggen or something... when the light turned green, he floored it and the wheels just started spinning and couldn't get any traction. I floored it and just roared past him :D I could see the shocked angry look on his face as his pricey Saab get beaten by a $24,000 SUV. It was great! (I did the same thing to an Audi A4 a while ago too.) This is a *fun* car!

<<MORE I BOUGHT A SUV BY TOYOTA THAT HAS A GREAT TRACK RECORD AND RESALE WILL BE MUCH MUCH BETTER WHEN I SELL IT 4 YRS FROM NOW. GOODLUCK WITH YOUR SUV.>>

I don't know what you're talking about... Mazda has a great track record of performance/sporty cars with the (ancient) Cosmo, the RX-7, and the Miata.

According to edmunds.com, the Tribute will actually beat a Carrera on wet pavement. In Motor Trend's test, the Tribute was *better* than an X5 3.0i in the slalom and also outperformed the X5 in the quarter-mile. The Highlander won't even come close to that performance.
  • tribownertribowner Member Posts: 2
    I have a 4wd AS with 2100 miles on it. Just logged 25+ mpg on the highway (200 mile trip). Normal everyday driving runs 17 to 18 mpg. My vehicle was built in December. So far none of the recalls that everybody complains about. So far nice car. If you like it go for it!
  • e2ee2e Member Posts: 54
    Good thing you weren't driving a Highlander. You might have dozed off at the stoplight!

I should have said the Toyota name is there. With that comes assurance of the reliability issue. I do not believe that Toyota will put out a new product, that will not stand the test of time. If Mazda had built the Tribute without Ford involvement, I would have felt differently about the reliability issue with the Tribute. Ok maybe the Butt Ugly (HL) statement was a bit dramactic, the Trib wins hands down for me in the looks department.
    Just some extra info - if you go to the NHTSA website and check for recalls on the Rav4, you'll find three recalls that affected early model Rav4's - powertrain, brakes and wiring. The first two recalls indicated that they were safety issues (...increases chances of accidents, etc.) I don't care which company puts it out - a first year vehicle has problems, and if you think the Highlander will be problem free because it it 'Toyota', just check their track record. BTW - if you check out the Honda CR-V, you'll also see a few early recalls.
    ...not to mention 53,000 Camrys (on which the Highlander is based) currently under recall -- the second recall for that vehicle this year. No such thing as a perfect machine.....from any manufacturer.
    There's one important point that I don't think anyone has touched on as far as I know. The Tribute is classified as a compact SUV, designed to compete with the likes of the RAV4, Santa Fe, CR-V, etc. The fact that many people are evaluating it against more expensive vehicles like the Highlander, Pathfinder, and other SUVs in the midsize category -- and that it does a great job of holding its own in those comparisons -- only proves what an outstanding value the Tribute is.
  • curreycurrey Member Posts: 144
    I too am amazed at the comparisons being made between the Tribute and mid sized SUV's. However, while I have been shopping for a new SUV (my families first), I too compared the Tribute to the Highlander. I had to! There was and is no comparison to the Rav4 or the CR-V. I am 6'1" and neither of those cars seemed as if I would be comfortable in them. Plus, the four cylinder engine is not impressive in a vehicle of this weight (well maybe if it was the engine in the new Subaru WRX). As for the Subaru forester, well, it appears to be a great car, everything I've read and seen seems to point to that. However, my wife thinks they are, how does she put it, "not cute." Thus, no Subaru for us. As for the Santa Fe, I never got near one. Down here in south Florida they are moving as fast as the Tributes, plus there are fewer dealers making them even harder to find. This did not bother me as I still have trouble thinking about spending $20,000 on a Hyundai (I am not flaming anyone's choice of SUV, the Santa Fe may be the best in this price range, I just get a little gun shy when one says Hyundai). As for the Suzuki XL-7, the styling is not there for me and I feel the same about spending that much money on a Suzuki as I do on a Hyundai. This left me with the Highlander and the Exterra. (I failed to mention that I really wanted to spend less then $25K on a new SUV, hence no Path Finder/ Jeep GC/ Four Runner/ Montero Sport.
    The Exterra is a great truck, my sister-in-law has one and loves it. I test drove it on three different occasions, once minutes after test driving the Tribute. There is no comparison. Keep in mind, my SUV will only see dirt when I drive down my sister-in-laws dirt road on the way to her house in Pensacola. I have ho thoughts of grandeur regarding off road driving. Additionally, I live in flat and snow less Florida, hence, I don't need 4x4 capabilities. Thus, I was comparing the 4x2 Exterra's street manners with that of a 4x2 Tribute. The ES (w/ lux package) at MSRP is the same as the discounts I was being offered on the Exterra SE. Forget the leather and the electronically adjustable seat the Tribute has at that price. Forget that you have to take the back seat out of the Exterra to create a flat cargo space. Forget that you only get a pop up sun roof instead of the full opening moon roof, let's talk drive and interior noise. The Tribute won zoom, zoom, zooming away. The ride was better, the steering was tighter and the road noise was considerably less. Yes I prefer the Tribute's styling to that off the Exterra, however, there was a time not to long ago that I loved the ruggedness of the Exterra. However, to look like that it should really be purchased in 4x4 and be ready to fly off road.
    Now to the Highlander (hey this is where I started). The Highlander, with the V6, has an MSRP for $25K. That is the top of my projected budget. Furthermore, it is a base model without any options (I am a sucker for the leather seats and 6 cd player). Add a few options like the ones on a ES with lux package and you're looking at (don't quote me) $29k. That is 4k over my budget before tax and tags. (Yes, my ES w/lux package is $500 over w/ tax and tags). Thus, for me to go so far over budget it better be worth it. It wasn't. Don't get me wrong, the Highlander drives great, has an great V6 (same as the Lexus), and I was not opposed to the styling (as long as they don't put that silly fin on the back, yes I don't like the one on the Tribute either). But, and this is a BIG BUT, I didn't see how it could cost so much more. I thought the Tribute actually drove better. The Highlander was a little quieter, but not by enough to pay that much more. (Yes, I got both of these vehicles on the interstate and up to 80 mph). Plus, and I may be out of my mind here, I thought I had more leg room in the front of the Tribute, although I liked the 8 position electronic seat in the Highlander better, cool lumbar support. And yes, I liked the wood grain look in the Highlander better too. The Mazda dealers around hear want $500 to put wood grain in the Tribute - the post I saw stating that there is a $200 do-it-yourself kit available seems interesting. Needless to say here I was, comparing the small size Tribute to the Mid sized Highlander and finding that the small size Tribute had just as much if not more room for the driver as the Highlander. I don't know, I liked them both, but when I got down to crunching numbers, the Tribute again zoom, zoom, zoomed past the competition. But now the competition wasn't meant to be competition for a small SUV, it was intend to be in a totally different bracket. Now that is value. I guess this long degradation into my thoughts on the matter is my two cents worth, but, after so much typing you might as well look at it as my nickels worth.

Via con dios,
    me.
    I like the Tribute alot, was set on buying one until the experiences I had with the sales persons,the MSRP issues, and posting on this site. Still love the vehicle, that is why I still read the posting daily. I think what I am trying to say is the posting for the Tribute have been luke warm and many people just down right disappointed at the beginning of this Zoom! Zoom! mania. I did not find as many disapointed HL posting out of the chute. This lead me to believe that the HL did not have as many out of the chute issues. The Tribute, has great potential if Mazda/Ford just do the right things. It really is a HOT! looking mini-ute. I know this sound silly, if the gear shift had been on the floor, not on the steering column, I would probaly still be considering the Tribute. That part of the design, just bugs the heck out of me. Everytime I see a Tribute on the street, I take a double look. Really a nice looking vehicle, just hope the mechanical side of this vehicle is as good. To all You Trib owners, Zoom! Zoom! on down the road.
    If you want to see what it looks like, take a visit it to the Mazda Yahoo site at:

http://www.clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/mazdatributeownersclub

In the photo section, there is an album titled 'Wood Trim Kit' with some pics, and in another album titled 'Our Tribute Photos', the posts from PSennett have some pics. I know there's also some links to where you can buy, but there's almost 6,000 posts right now and its pretty tough to go back and look. If you're interested though, just post a question and you'll get some answers.

As for price, it seems to range from a bit over $100 to almost $200, depending on how much wood grain you want and the style. The posts I've seen in the past say its pretty easy to install, but I have no personel experience one way or another, so take it for what its worth.

Personally, I like the look, but my wife hates it, so I guess no wood grain for now :(

I have the VIN number of my Tribute that was going to be delivered on Monday . . . well the dealer can't find it. I am searching in vain for the number to call to track the tribute down (is this just to tell you when it will roll of the production line?). I know I saw it in a post, but now I can't find it. Anyone . . . anyone . . .
    800-222-5500
    Although it was not good news. My Tribute that was to be here on last Monday has not been released from the port yet (arived at the port week ago today). At least I have a 626 loaner to drive until the Tribute gets here.
  • rutegerruteger Member Posts: 60
    I actually prefer a column shifter but it's true that the Trib's is poorly designed. I think that whole column mounted shifter thing is, in large part, due to the 'international' marketing of the Tribute. Japanese Tributes don't have the obstruction between the center front seats so there's a pass-through like a minivan that wouldn't be possible with a console shifter.

Nonetheless, it's those kinds of a little things, along with the recalls, that keeps the Tribute/Escape from being a bonafide home-run instead of just a triple in the sales department.
    Yeah, that must be the reason why you can barely find an LX or ES on a dealer lot to save your life.... An awful lot of people must realize just how little those "things" really are.
  • reback8889reback8889 Member Posts: 1
    My ES Problem - When in traffic and coasting (No Gas Applied)at low speed, 4 to 10 MPH, when I apply the gas to speed up there is a very noticable clunk in the transmission. Its seems to me that when coasting at a low speed the engines drive shaft completely disingages and the clunk sensation is created when the gas is applied and the transmission reingages.

Is anyone else experiencing this condition
    IT'S HERE, IT'S FINALLY HERE! I got the call this morning that they were unloading my Desert Metallic ES with the luxury package. However, when I got to the dealer I realized this was not the Tribute I put my money down on, it was a Desert Metallic ES with the luxury package, and the towing package, and, are you ready for this, the ABS SIDE IMPACT AIR BAGS package. I guess Mazda finally got its hands on some ABS units. Needless to say I didn't mind paying the extra for the towing package (which I don't need or foresee needing) to get the ABS/side air bags. This is such a beautiful vehicle. It drives soooooo nice. Yes I was a little sick to my stomach and had a slight dry mouth when I gave the dealership all that money - the monthly payments are no fun - but, half way home with the moon roof open and the CD player blaring, I was literally laughing with enjoyment. God blessed me by providing the opportunity to drive such a wonderful vehicle. I wonder when the next time will be that I get behind the wheel of my 92 Saturn SL sans air conditioning? Oh well enough writing, I think I am going to go smell that new car smell again.

Via con Dios,
    me.
  • sfdesignsfdesign Member Posts: 2
    I've been driving for 20 years now and have NEVER bought a new car. I always dreaded dealing with a car salesman. Now I'm planning to buy a Tribute FWD V6. Can anyone give me an idea of how much it costs (out the door) for the specific model you bought. I want to go into the dealership with SOME clue. Thanks
  • juanejuane Member Posts: 11
    Anyone have any thoughts on what a reasonable price to pay for the Dx - V6 model? I dont mean what the dealer is asking for though. How do I get them to knock down the price? Ive never bought a new car and have no clue how to go about it. Should I go get a loan first and then go to the dealer knowing what I can spend or should I pick the car out first and then apply for the loan?
  • funokafunoka Member Posts: 13
    We bought our ES Tribute in February (after a five month wait) and paid a few hundred bucks below sticker. Some people are posting better deals than we got, but we were happy with the price and service we get from our dealer (Browns Mazda in Fairfax, VA).

Right now, Tribs are going at MSRP or above arounnd our town (Washington DC). The dealers don't have to "deal" on them because they are so popular. If you can use a credit union buying service, that is a good way to go . . .no haggling. If you can wait, and price is a big issue, you may want delay your purchase unti there are more Tribs in the pipeline.
    I bought my Trib ES late last fall and paid sticker, but the dealer threw in about $2k of extras at about half price (perimeter alarm, mud flaps, bug deflector, rear step guard, side bars, and some others). The dealer had the stuff already installed, and I said I would take the Trib right then and there, but he had to take off the extras (actually I wanted most of them, but hoped he would deal). They didn't want to take the time to do that, so we worked out a deal and split the difference. Not sure if you can do that now with the supply situation, but maybe its worth a try.
    Hello out there in edmunds land, I was wondering if anyone out there is using 0w-30 synthetic oil in their Tribute? I know the recommended oil is 5w-20, however, there is no synthetic 5w-20 (ok there is one but it is soooo over priced) available. A tech guy at Amsoil told me 0w-30 would work just as well, anyone agree? Thanks in advance for any replies.
    When I found this board back a few months ago, there was alot of energy surrounding the Tribute. Where has the energy gone? Are there any good or bad stories any more? Yes, I am considering a different SUV now, but I really did like the Zoom! Zoom! mania. I guess no news is good news. OK I will talk to Mazda. The Tribute has great potential, just build quality and the customers will follow.
    The energy is still there -- it's simply moved. A great many people have turned into happy owners, and most of the activity these days seems to be in the Yahoo! Tribute Owners Club.
  • bocaredbocared Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 2001 Mazda Tribute LX today (with only floor mats and wheel locks as added options.) The MSRP was $21,435. My offers got as high as $20,850, but they wouldn't go that low. Eventually they reluctantly settled on $21,100. It was more than I wanted to spend, but they also gave me a loan better than my bank would give me, so I saved a few hundred more over the life of the loan.
    Most LX's on the lot were a newer shipment, and had MSRP of $21,635. The dealer expects the price will continue to rise. The dealer also said that the 2002 models will have a higher price, plus a rebate, ending up with a total cost about $1,000 higher than it is now.
  • omnibudomnibud Member Posts: 24
    the es 4X4 has ~ 5000 miles on it now and there are no problems to report. handles great, mileage is 18 - 24 mpg and has not improved measureably since new. the best part about this car is that my wife likes to drive it soooo much, she no longer wants to take my truck. first oil change done @ 4000 miles with......mobile 1 5w30.
    like i said, we have had none of the recalls affect us, even with a build date of 10/00. oh well, still happy after all these beers!
  • drhb2drhb2 Member Posts: 3
    VERY impressed with the quality of the Tribute. Gas mileage does indeed seem to be horrible at this 2400 mile mark - I fill the tank back up at the 1/4 needle mark; do others fill it at the empty mark due to there supposedly being more gas than is read by the gauge? Does one IGNORE the reading on the gas gauge??

Note the Crash results on the NHTSA site just came out, and the Tribscape received 5 stars for the driver and 4 for the passenger, with 5 stars on the side impact. VERY good results indeed!
  • anilpunjabianilpunjabi Member Posts: 61
    That is true about the crash results, i am very happy, know i know i am protected. But talking about the gas, the gauge only reads 13.4 gallons, and whne the sign comes on there are three gallons left. MIleage isnt that bad if u do hiway. I took the tribute on the hiway, to nyc, out of 11.5-12 gallons i got about 240 miles, that is abooit 20-22 mpg on hiway city gives me a little more than 16, but i wish the inside was a little nicer with higher quality materials, well i am signing off
  • jmlagascajmlagasca Member Posts: 37
    Hi all,

I'm back again with this crazy survey... For those of you who haven't taken the survey yet please send the answers to this question to jmlagasca@ucdavis.edu. I'll try to get the results on the net after this weekend.

Thanks,

Jeff

SURVEY

A) Vehicle Info:

1) Trim (LX/ES/DX-V6):
    2) 4x4/2x4:
    3) Build Date:
    4) Odometer at fix:

B) Fix information:

1) Date of fix:
    2) Dealer where fixed (Name, City, State):
    3) Time it took to fix (hrs.):
    4) Fix Worked? (yes/no):
    5) If no to 4, Date of re-occurrence of smell:
    6) If no to 4, mileage after fix, smell re-occurred:

C) Pre/Post Fix performance:

1) Ave. Fuel mileage (pre/post):
    2) Overall impression of performance pre/post fix:
  • dan1952dan1952 Member Posts: 3
    Finally got one.
    I picked up my Tribute ES on Sat. 4-14-01.
    It had just about every option on it except
    cargo net and cargo tray.
    Bad points. The shift level sits in
    front of the radio volume. No lumbar adjustment.
    The rear seats are a 3 step process to put down.

Good points. seats feel a little hard but the
    longer I sit in them, the more comfortable they
    feel. The truck handles great! The ride is firm
    and stable. Good acceleration, at 65mph
    plenty of pedal and pickup left. A lot of head
    room! even with the power seat up. Stereo
    sounds great. Looks outside and in are impressive.
    Several people have already told me they like
    it as well or even better than the Lexus and
    Mercedes.
    I sold my 1997 Jimmy SLT to get the Mazda. My
    comparisons are basically against the Jimmy,
    which was a good truck. I had 65,000 on my
    Jimmy and it was time for me to get another
    truck. I general do not keep a vehicle for
    more than 70,000 miles. I have been doing this
    for over 20 years.
    I considered many SUVs. Pathfinder, SR5,
    Mitsubishi,Lexus, GMC Envoy, and others. All
    were loaded with almost all the options.
    All were $35,000 or more sticker. The Mazda
    was $26,000, which is what I had to pay.
    The Mazda is overall smaller than some of the
    trucks I looked at, but as far as the front seats,
    it is as roomy as almost all of them.
    Time and mileage will tell if I made the right
    choice. My hunch right now is I did. I hope
    I'm right.
    Anyone using synthetic oil in their Tribute? If so what weight? I want to go synthetic, however, the only mfg. that says they are coming out with one is Amsoil, and that is in July. I was thinking of going with Mobil 1 but can't decide between 5w-30 or 0w-30. Any suggestions?
  • edster1edster1 Member Posts: 12
    First off, I must say I really love most aspects of this SUV. However, If i'd have known that I would be getting 12 mpg in the city and 17 on the highway, I WOULD NOT have bought the car. Mazda is lying to all of us. I have 3,600 miles on the car and mileage has barely improved from the first day I got it. A Jeep with a V-8 does better than this. I see a class-action law-suit in the making here!

I took the car to my dealer...they stuck a computer on the engine and said I was getting an average of 22 mpg by their readings. After picking myself up off the ground from 30 seconds of side-splitting laughter, I told them they are welcome to test-drive it themselves. Of course, they declined. They further admitted they know the comouter test is not representative..so, .BEWARE
  • rockwalkrockwalk Member Posts: 5
    Stop flooring the damm car and driving like an idiot. That should improve the mileage.
  • rockwalkrockwalk Member Posts: 5
    The "clunk" in the tranny is normal. It is the clutch packs engaging. The clunk means the packs are not slipping on each other and wearing out quickly.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, rockwalk?

edster1, many people find that their mileage keeps improving until 10 or even 20 thousands miles.

Anyone else not getting the mpg they expected?

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards