Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Tribute

Comments

• 1jimv11jimv1 Posts: 108
    Several of us investigated this to reprogram the headlight chime and the only answer found was to use tools to mechanically disconnect the sounder and lose all the chimes.
  • I'll give it a shot!
  • I stopped at a Mazda dealership on Sunday to look at the 2002 Tributes, they had 5 Tributes parked near the detail shop. Monday I emailed the dealer for prices and they sent an email back saying they have one 2001 in stock for sale ( great terms) and we will not have 2002s for another month or two. So, I answered back giving the stock number of the Tribute I was interested in and in return, they sent an email back saying yes we have them but can't release these cars for another month or two. At another Mazda dealer in town they have one in stock and will sell, but not what I wanted. All Ford dealerships have escapes in stock & for sale. Go figure.
  • Hey JimV,

I'd be more than happy to totally lose the chime mechanically, but I can't find it.

Do you know where it is under the dash?

Thanks.
  • 1jimv11jimv1 Posts: 108
    You might locate the sounder by listening through a piece of hose like a stethescope. Someone else reported success disconnecting it. If you do decide to "operate", tell us the details. If it's not too hard I might be interested in putting a switch in the circuit of mine. I would often like to leave my headlight switch always on to have daylight running lights for safety and the overintrusive warning chime is a real nuisance.
  • smehdersmehder Posts: 18
    Thanks for the rack info. I have found that Yakima has a Mighty Mount for existing Trib racks ($ 30 for 4) that fits some of their racks, but they do not recommend any racks other than the ski attachment. They have said that the Trib cross bar is not solid enough to hold the bike. Anyone have a different opinion.
  • tlc8tlc8 Posts: 4
    Don't know if you've looked here or not but partscheap.com also has rack accessories for the Escape that I assume would work on your Tributes.
  • Thanks! I pick up my Tribute in a week or so and will get started on some research. I appreciate any other opinions out there on racks as well.
  • edster1edster1 Posts: 12
    Anybody know where to get info on how much a new car is de-valued due to it being in an accident? My Tribute, with 8,000 miles, was recently hit by a "sweet little old lady". $10,000 worth of damage! Thoug it is supposed to be fixed "as good as new", it is now in the data base as a "wrecked car". How much lower than blue book is its actual value now?

Edster
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    If they labeled your title as salvaged, they have to buy you out of it.
  • edster1edster1 Posts: 12
    The database which tracks your VIN. If you go to CarFax and put in a VIN, you get a history of the car...repairs, etc.
    of Car Fax. They only label a vehicle as salvaged if they have info from the state it is registered in. If in fact they salvaged your Trib, they would have to buy the vehicle from you for market value or replacement cost, per your policy. Otherwise, Car Fax wouldn't have that type of info on your Trib. Just make sure that the shop that does the work does a top quality job.
  • jefgovjefgov Posts: 9
    I know there's a separate maintenance section to discuss the whole topic of waxing my Tribute, but I'm not interested in debating super polishes or the merits of Materus vs. Zeon (or however they're spelled). I just want to go to the store, buy some wax, and give up some of my free time to do it, even though I can think of many other more desirable things to do.

So here's my question, if you would please take the time to answer it - as I haven't yet waxed my Tribute (I told you I can think of many more pleasurable ways to spend my time), what wax should I use for the first time, and perhaps forever after? Any good advice out there?

I admit I've been derilect in this aspect, having my chestnut mica Tribute here in the hot, sunny, and salty Florida marine environment for the last six months without waxing it once. But it already looked so shiny. Well, I'm finally ready, to do it now and for eternity to come (it'll seem that way, anyway).

So please help me out, all of you who read postings and love your Tributes. And remember, I just want to wax it to protect it, not stare at my reflection in it, so please keep it simple.

Thanks.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,919
    Well, if you have a clear coat on the paint, in theory you never have to wax it :-)

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• suvshopper4suvshopper4 Posts: 1,110
    Lately I've been hearing good things (from 'real people' car nuts) about Finish First. I'm going to try it before winter sets in. 'Til then, it is the local car wash spray stuff.
    "Because it's the twin of the Ford Escape (save some interior and exterior design elements), we considered it redundant to include it."

But I think Tribute owners will be pleased to see how the Escape did in Edmunds 2001 Mini SUV Comparison Test.

Steve
    Host

how cruel can you be. I think it should be noted that the suspension on the Trib is even more performance oriented than the Escape and the looks are hands down better.
    moi? cruel? I was merely quoting from the story. Are Tribute owners not happy to see the "twin" do well? And if the Tribute is better than the twin, doesn't that make it a #1A with a bullet?

I haven't read the Long Term Road Test of the Tribute for a while, but I seem to recall that our editors like it a lot as well.

Steve
    Host

• jefgovjefgov Posts: 9
    Steve, I read your response and am following up on it. You said "if you have a clear coat on the paint, in theory you never have to wax it." OK, what does that all mean, in real life, not theory?

First of all, is the clear coat a given, and if so, what do you mean about the "theory"?
    I'm getting water spots and other attached particles that I assume will go away with waxing, or perhaps by cleaning or polishing before the waxing. So isn't that something I should do, even with a clear coat? Any advice from you or others?

And I appreciate my one other reply so far, re the Finish First. If it's for "car nuts" like you say, how involved is it to use? I love my car, but it's not my life, just a vehicle to help me live it.

Thanks for the replies. Please respond.
    Aw geez, now I'm gonna have to go dig up a link :-) (I can find lots of links about the need to wax a clear coated car).

But I did read that somewhere, prolly here on Town Hall. Definitely not in the Zaino Car Polishes/Products--Your Experiences (Part 2) discussion!

Until someone comes up with the link, the theory is that simply washing the car with a gentle soap made for cars is all that's needed for new cars with clear coat paint. What does your manual say?

Steve
    Host