Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Cherokee

Comments

• sandyboysandyboy Member Posts: 114
    Marketing has always fascinated me. Corporations spend billions for what I think are called "Path Surveys" meaning this. 40,000 persons bought a Spitzmobile in 1999, of the 40,000 21,000 have replaced it, of which 13,300 bought a Mercon 500. So then they target the remainig 19,000 who still have their Spitzmonile with hoards of Mercon literature! They never try to expalin away the finding, they just use them in marketing.
    After looking at all of the available Cherokee type choices, I concluded the the closest in weight, size, price, options, engine and overall looks was the Forester Limited. I just wondered if any current XJ owners felt any warmth to it, or if we were off in another direction for next time, when ever that might be.
    A Mazda Protege5 and a Maita and a Toyota Tacoma 4X4 (Supoercharged,yet) certainly indicate off in another direction!
  • greenxjgreenxj Member Posts: 5
    If I was handed that cash, I'd buy an 03 Rubicon (tho I've heard they stopped taking orders for them). Rumor has it that in 05 or 06 the Wrangler goes IFS and unibody (think 2 door Liberty). If DC execs thought XJ fans complained after production was stopped, just wait for the anger to flow when Jeep no longer produces a solid axle, short wheelbase, body on frame 4x4.

If I'm not allowed to get another XJ, I'll get the newest Rubicon I can find and drink a toast to the passing of Jeep.
    Oh 'ya, I agree! Mercedes has no a clue what to do with Chrysler. Chrysler had a whole line-up of youth orientated new product for Plymouth. PLYMOUTH?? Mercedes had no idea how to market a lower priced car, so they killed it! It was too late to kill the lead-off car, the "Plymouth Touring Cruiser" so they renamed it "PT Cruiser" and gave this unlikely Chrysler TO Chrylser.
    Then turned their attention to Jeep, never once understanding the Jeep owner base. You WILL see the Wrangler go the way of the XJ Cherokee and you'll also see it get "cute" in the same vein as the Neon and the Liberty. Chrysler had thoughts of bringing back the Imperial and putting it in the $45 to $48 thousand market, just a notch under Cadillac and directly at Lincoln Town Car. Mercedes killed that. THAT'S Mercedes price territory (C to lower E Class), we can't have that! Dead.
    Next to go? Dodge CARS. Dodge will be soley Trucks & Vans (Minivans, too).
    It's Sad. 2003 to early 2004 I read will be the end of the Wrangler, as we now know it.
  • fvpfvp Member Posts: 147
    Please say it ain't so - you guys are selling your Cherokees? And after all the words of encouragement you have given me during my troubled times with my 01 Sport!
    I'm just about to replace my stereo with an aftermarket unit because it seems the "bugs" are finally gone.
    I am going to miss your advice as my Cherokee outlives it's warranty.
    Go back to message 1134 and re-read the very first sentence, and pay attention to the very first WORD (IF) in that sentence. You can relax. Then read the final sentence of 1134. r e l a x
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    The TK (Future Wrangler) has 2 solid axles...

But I'm not sure whether it is body-on-frame or not...

I also hear that the Cherokee is coming back... with 2 solid axles.

Now, if this is not true... someone is probably going to set fire to that large palace of a corporate headquarters in Auburn Hills...
  • vin_weaselvin_weasel Member Posts: 237
    Rubicon or loaded TJ Sahara

If it was more then a GC Overland, Disco, Land Cruiser, G-Wagen. I was almost in this situation not a month ago when I got into a bad accident with my '01. They came pretty close to writing it off and I think I only would have gotten about 22-24k Canadian. That wouldn't buy any of the vehicles I listed above.
  • greenxjgreenxj Member Posts: 5
    I seriously doubt a solid axle Cherokee is coming back - Herr Dieter (DC head) wants to move the entire company to similar platform and engine layouts. A solid axle vehicle certainly doesn't play into that (no matter how much myself and other Jeep purists want it).

The torquey, off-road friendly 4.0L is a year or two from death, the Grand Cherokee is going to be built on the ML (Mercedes SUV) platform, and having a solid front axle just doesn't compute with German execs.

They want a platform (unibody) that can be the Liberty, Wrangler and Dodge SUV. They want suspensions that are the same for Jeep, Dodge and Mercedes (SUVs).

No "fvp", I wouldn't ever sell my Cherokee (unless I replaced it with another). There will never be another 4x4 that can duplicate it's on road performance (if you've never driven a 4.0L HO with a 5-speed, you need to, best daily driver fun ever in an SUV) combined with it's off-road prowess. DC is oblivious to Jeep and it's heritage - when Jeep dies (in 05 or 06), a part of America dies.

I'm by no means a "conspiracy theorist" - but the one conspiracy I believe in is the German drive to neuter Jeep. Jeeps were credited by General Marshall as having "won the war" in Europe - think Dieter might have a grudge? I dunno, but it keeps popping up in my head everytime I see a Jeep legend hobbled by DC.
    Go back to message 1135 and re-read THE FIRST SENTENCE. Pay attention to the past tense of the post. Then go to message 1136 and re-read THE SECOND SENTENCE. Read the THIRD SENTENCE also. This does not sound like a hypothetical situation, does it?
    By the way, I also enjoy your posts as well - you are not selling out are you?
    If you mean me, no, absolutely not. We all love the XJ LTD we have. We take exceptional care of it, too. Washed every week & waxed one a month. Interior cleaned with each wash (and I do it, all by hand, no Car Abuse Wash. IF IF IF it was stolen and not recovered, I'd buy that Subie Forester LTD I pictured in 1134 (I think). We do no off roading at all. Bought it for mobility in the snow in the long hard Jersey winters, and for it's superior tracking as well as for it's "Classic" design/looks. Sometimes, it's a little choppy riding, but overall I am 100% pleased with both it & my selling dealership.
    We have an 01 Sport with 17,000 miles on it. After a number of problems when it was new, the bugs are now out and it's a pleasure to own. I drive it everyday to work and I agree: other than the ride being a bit choppy, it performs great. The stereo is crappy and about to be replaced, but during the winters in Western PA [especially last winter] the thing is worth it's weight in gold. I can't tell you how many of the neighborhood kids I drove to school when the roads were bad. I did replace the junk Goodyears with Michelin M&S's last fall and they work great in snow and rain - one of my better $600 investments.
    We don't off road much either and my wife also mentions the Suburu as an eventual replacement. I'm not so sure - the Jeep is paid off, only 2 years old and with 17,000 miles on the clock it has a long way to go.
  • ag1029ag1029 Member Posts: 7
    I was checking your board out.. Just my 2 cents. Anyone in the New Jersey area with a cherokee I would strongly advise you into looking into a Clfford Alarm. I lost my 01 to car thieves.

When I found my 2000 thats the first thing I did was have the Cliiford put in. Best 340.00 I spent.
     I still wish I had the 01!! I liked that one better.
    I still have the crappy GoodBEERS on it, because it's only got 10,500 miles on it. Round about 2 years from now, at 20,000 I too will get the tires you have.
    My stereo is superb, as it's a Cherokee Limited and it has the cassette/CD/Graphic Equalizer with 6 speakers, Infinity Power Amp and coaxial speakers. $710.00 option only available with the Limited. 'Ya gotta hear it!
    Yes, I know about the Ski-High theft rate of these in Northern New Jersey. When it was 8 months old, it had both door locks attempted to be "punched in" but neither one gave way to the bums. They tore 'em up on the outside, and there were dents around the lock. I had Dent Dr. heat & remove the dents (99% perfect) as I did not want both front doors repainted, and then got new lock cylinders and finishing key hole circles.
    I now have the Auto Brake Lok Club and a steering wheel club and a roof mounted video surveilance camera filming every time she is parked. They will be on film. I don't think they could get it as it has the Sentry Key System, too, from the factory. This attempt on my car's life was committed in a Church parking lot!! Perhaps they shoulda been inside?
  • boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    I am afraid my 98 Cherokee Classic no longer graces my garage. At 60,000 miles, it has found a new home with a friend of mine. I had been averaging about $200 per month in unscheduled maintenance in the last year or so. The frequency of repairs seemed to be increasing, so I figured it was time to move on. I hadn't been very happy with the way Jeep has been changing since DC bought Chrysler. With living in NC, I didn't really need the 4WD. My wife's Protege5 had all of the hauling (not towing) capability we needed. Getting rid of the Cherokee gave me the opportunity to get the sports car I had been wanting plus paying off some other debt. It seemed the logical thing to do.
    I understand your reluctance to keep the Jeep with the repairs and all. Don't forget, my Cherokee has been in the shop at least once a month for the last year. However, it now has been performing without a hitch and I like it a lot. The factory warranty has another year to run and then, if I am still the owner, I will get an extended warranty to cover the multitude of repairs that seem to crop up regularly.
    That said, I'm going to miss your wise council as you have given me plenty of advice over the last year or so.
    Check in once in a while to visit if you can.
    I forgot to mention that nothing I ever had to get repaired would have prevented my Jeep from running. It was always things like window regulators, air conditioning lines, stereos, gauge clusters, and so on. Not essential, but expensive. I'll continue to read and post on this forum. You've got my e-mail if you ever have a question which is not appropriate for Edmunds. I hope you continue to enjoy your Cherokee.
    I'm glad you will keep up with this forum as I don't have your e-mail address any longer. I had to wipe my hard drive clean a couple months ago and did not backup my e-mail address folder.
    Would you mind sending me an e-mail so I can put your address back into my book?
    I'd appreciate it and good luck with the sports car - quite a difference from your Cherokee!
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Yeah, I'm planning to put mine up 4sale. I tend to go through vehicles fairly quickly. My '01 has around 70k miles now, IIRC. My sister-in-law has been driving it for the last couple weeks so I haven't seen it lately! I've only had a couple very minor issues, so I have no complaints about its reliablity. It's a great vehicle but since I bought my diesel Jetta, I only use the Cherokee when I have a lot of cargo or it snows. I've had a couple instances where my cargo wouldn't fit in the Cherokee so I had to drive our Tahoe. I figure there's no sense keeping something around if you just don't drive it very often. It would make someone a terrific vehicle but I'll miss it. Has a timeless look to it and still probably the best looking SUV on the road to me.
    I agree with you - I really like the look of the Cherokee. Our 01 has only 17,300 miles on it and we are planning on keeping it for awhile. In addition, it's paid off and since I just bought a Toyota Sienna for my wife, the Cherokee and I will be together for the near future. Thus the stereo upgrade.
    I do have a question: I am in the process of ordering the speakers and I am getting two different sizes. Ours does not have the upgraded Infinity system and the Jeep parts department says the roof mounted rear speakers are 5.25" and the front door speakers are 6.50". Various websites [like Crutchfields] says both are 5.25".
    Has anyone replaced the speakers in an 01 and if so, what sizes are the front and rear speakers?
    Thanks for the help.
    The Jeep Parts Dept. told you correctly. Roff are 5.25 & door are 6.50. There are also small coaxial speakers mounted on the inside of the exterior mirror, where it's attached to the door frame. Total = 6 speakers. But, the stereo is different too. It's badged INFINITI GOLD SERIES
    Thanks for the input. I have no coaxial speakers mounted on the inside of the exterior mirror - just the two in the roof and two in the doors.
    I'll go with the 6.5's in the doors and 5.25's in the roof.
    Thanks again for the advice.
    Did the factory replacement last night with a new Pioneer Head Unit and four Infinity speakers. Because of my inexperience it took about 2 hours, but had no major problems.
    The end result? WOW!
    Cool. Doesn't take much to vastly improve on that factory system.

I'm a big Pioneer fan too. I bought my first aftermarket CD player back in the early 90's. It was one of the lower-end Pioneers and was almost $400!! I took that CD player with me through three vehicles then gave it to my brother a few years back. My nephew now has it in his car (he's 17) so we'll see how long it can keep going.
  • dancermandancerman Member Posts: 220
    What model Pioneer unit and Infinity speakers did you buy? Where did you buy them? I have a '99 and want to upgrade.
    The Pioneer I got was the DEH-P47DH from crutchfield.com for $249.99 - it fits right in the oversized slot that the stock unit is in [it's called a din and a half size].There is a more expensive model [DEH-P77DH] that I didn't get. The units are exactly alike except the 77 provides a remote control and an alarm that goes through the speakers. On both units the faceplate detaches so you can remove it from the vehicle making the radio useless, so the alarm seemed redundant.
    All four speakers are Infinity - 5.25 in the rear roof and 6.5 in the doors. The 6.5's are the Infinity Reference 6002si series [$99.99/pr] and the 5.25's are Infinity Reference 5002si [also $99.99/pr].
    The installation was quite easy - the Head Unit has two screws holding it in. Once they are removed, just unplug the old and plug in the new. Of course, you have to splice together the wiring harness that Crutchfield supplies so it will connect with the stock wiring.
    If you have any questions, shoot me an e-mail.
    Did you take any pictures of the install? I would be curious to see how the head unit looks after installation.

This is mine. I think it's similar to what fvp put in his. Officially have my XJ up for sale now so I've got pics laying around of everything. Anybody wanna since my paintless fender flares, LOL?!
    Unfortunately, I did not take any pictures - now that you mention it I wish I did. I dropped one of the two screws that holds the Head Unit to the dash down the hole where the 4wd handle sticks out when I was installing the new unit. It took 30 minutes to fish it out with a magnetized screw driver. Let's just say that there were a few choice words for my stupidity at that point.
    That said, the picture from sebring95 is exactly what mine looks like installed. Fits the dash perfectly and works like a charm. I'm glad I did the upgrade - you can't believe how much better it sounds vs. the factory crap.
    boy that last sentance in my post above was stupid! Here's my ripped fender flares. I even have the full molded mud-guards on the front.

The white is actually the bare plastic.
    Thanks for the pic. Because of it you saved me 1,000 words of description!

Can anyone tell me what is that cut-out or outline for located to the left of the a/c vent. The cutout in the grey plastic that looks like this:-
    II
    II
    II
    Thanks!
    My only guess is it's to strengthen the plastic. The plastic is rather thin, and being a large flat area with no support behind it, they moulded ribs and tried to make it look fashionable.

Either that or has to do with stamping for the right-hand drive models, but that seems like a stretch.
    Thank you for the stereo info... and also mentioning that I should cover the shifter hole before installation. I thought that crap only happened to me....lol.
    A word of advice: The bottom screw for the Head Unit is positioned directly above the opening shifter hole.
    Caution is advised!
    Hello All Think I'll post mine also :)

Click Here
    One more ok :)

Click Here
    What model is your Pioneer radio? The trim plate looks very clean. Was it included with the radio? Did you install the radio yourself?
    Yes easy install. The face plate came with it.
      Model# is deh-p4500mp. It will play cd and mp format..I bought it from Crutchfield. You can find one on Ebay but dont know about the wire harness..Crutchfield includes everything..
  • jsmith42jsmith42 Member Posts: 1
    i've owned 3 cherokees 86, 88, 97. just experienced a second low milage transmission failure...failure occurred at 32,000mi in the 86, now at 72,000mi in the 97. i've owned many cars (?30) everything from chevy, ford, plymouth, lincoln, olds, bmw, jag, porsche and never had a transmission failure.
    i have all routine maintenance done, am esentially the only driver, dont tow or do off-road so car care is not an issue. Jeep response has been: tough luck, buddy. What a disappointment. anybody else had this unexpected major transmission expense ...or can any one make a suggestion how to get a factory good will contribution to reimburse a part of the cost of the latest one? The Michigan BBB was contacted and is of no help. I loved jeeps and was about to replace this one but i'll now dump this one and never buy another if this is as much factory interest they will express for a repeat buyer with a major product failure x 2.
  • mhall02mhall02 Member Posts: 38
    I have not heard of anyone having problems with the Cherokee 4 speed auto (AW-4 made in Japan), however, many problems with the Grand Cherokees Chrysler tranny. Check the Grand Cherokee forum if this is the case, otherwise, you are a rare case from what I know or heard of.
    Agree with the above. The '86 & '88 models didn't have the highest quality tranny, but starting around '92 and newer have the AW4 which is regarded in the industry as nearly bulletproof regardless of application (Jeep, Toyota, etc). If this isn't a Cherokee and is actually a Grand Cherokee, then all bets are off.

Regardless, has the fluid been changed? The only way you see a Grand Cherokee from that vintage with an intract tranny is if the fluid has been changed religiously.
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    Every 4.0L was backed by the AW4... from '87 to '01.

The 5-Speed transmission was equally as tough, but my knowledge about it is slim to none.
  • jakemailjakemail Member Posts: 7
    I have a question about tire size. I have a 2000 Cherokee Classic. The OEM Tires are Goodyear Wrangler HP (i.e. JUNK). The size is 225/70/R16. I am looking to replace them with some Michelin Cross Terrains. The guy at NTB told me I could go up to 245/70/R16 on the stock wheel. Does anyone know if I can go any bigger on the stock wheel? Say 245/75/R16?? Thanks in advance.
  • leopard104leopard104 Member Posts: 3
    I notice that sometimes my 2000 sport makes this rumbling noise that sound almost like a coffee maker but when I pull up on the transaxle lever it stops. It is more noticable when stopped in drive or neutral and the car makes this same sound briefly when turning it off. I have also pulled up (slightly) on the lever when turning off the vehicle and it shut off smoother. I think I'm going to get this checked out, I bought used in Sept. and still have warranty through July. My question is has anyone in her had this fixed to satisfaction? Will my dealer have an idea what I am talking about? It can be hard to replicate the sound except turning off.

Thak You
    There is a TSB for the problem you are describing. It is the shifter lever and linkage rattling. Take it in to the dealer and have them fix it.
  • rallytravisrallytravis Member Posts: 8
    Your pushing it on the tires, I have 235/75/15 tires on mine which seems about it, if you want full travel and your tires under the fenders. It takes a 3 inch lift for 9.5/30 tires which you can run on a 7 inch rim. see the Tirerack.com for all sorts of research. the question always remains? do want to look cool or own something that works well. with 3.07 axles turning big rubber can be a problem.
    By the way, there are a whole lot of tires out there that work well and cost a whole lot less than those Cross Terrains.
  • pantussopantusso Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 Cherokee Sport is my first Jeep model. it has 25317 miles. I was feeling shudder/shake in the front end/steering wheel when braking. Wife took it in today. Dealer mechanic had to replace front rotors and pads to the tune of $354.50. Invoice said "Rotors warped badly & discolored (displaying extreme temps)". None of the repairs were covered under warranty. We live in the St. Paul, MN area. I've never seen this with the other 8 new vehicles of various makes that I have purchased and they have all been driven in the upper midwest. Service advisor told my wife that this happens because they just don't make the rotors very thick any more. Any comments from other Cherokee drivers?
    I had my rotors replaced under warranty at 23000km and I just did it again myself at 43000km. I am very angry with DC over this. I got in a good yelling match with a service manager over it too. He suggested that my wife and I must ride the brakes to cause this. I pretty much told him that his staff were a bunch of morons and took my jeep home.

I just replaced my brakes rotors with Wagner premium parts and we'll see how long they last.

The key to making the rotors last longer is to ensure that you've properly tightened the lug nuts in the correct order to the proper torque amounts. If some winner from the service department uses an air ratchet to zip each one on, your rotors will be warped in no time.
    The service manager at my dealership told me rotors are discussed at every meeting. Sometimes they have solutions, sometimes they don't. It's a combination of material compromises (squealing vs long-wearing) and money. They replaced mine under warranty without question around 25k miles. Every dealer has the ability to get these repaired under warranty. Some are more willing than others. It's more profitable if you pay them, so they're obviously not as concerned about customer satisfactin.

FWIW, the new rotors they put on are holding up fine at 65k miles. I replaced the pads at 50k miles and haven't had any shudder yet.

This is not just a jeep problem. Many other vehicles are having similar problems today. It's very expensive to get rotors that won't warp (compared to cheap parts the factory uses). My daughters '02 Celica GTS just got all four brakes/rotors at 13k miles. Rear pads were completely worn out and fronts were warped. The only time that car gets driven hard is when I'm behind the wheel, which isn't all that often.
    Had the same warping problem on my 98 Escort, I bought my 2001 cherokee with 42000 and fresh brakes. at 67000 I have had no problems with the brakes.