Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Cherokee

Comments

• Hello,

I have a 92 Jeep Cherokee and it will not shift out of first gear.

After being charged $1800 by the shop the problem was not fixed. In total I took the car back to the same shop for 3 consequtive times (under their warranty), but the problem is still there completely unaffected !

It seems to follow a pattern that it can be driven first thing in the morning for a long trip without a problem... but... then if it is parked for a couple of hours and then driven again it will most likely be stuck in first gear.

(P.S. It has all the puling power in first gear and can shift into reverse (no problem), but it stuck in first gear when the lever is in "D" or the other settings).

Any thought of what might be the problem ?
    Has anyone seen this before ?

Thanks
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    I have a 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited and a 1997 Wrangler SE. The grand is my wife's and the TJ is my daughter's. I'm wanting a 4x4 that I can use for fun, for hauling. My wife won't let me play with the Grand, my daughter is taking the TJ to college, so I want my Jeep. :)

How does the Cherokee compare to the Wrangler for offroad ability? I will miss the idea of a top down time, but I really like the idea of being able to haul my gear around for camping, skiing, and hiking. I live in the mountains, where we get snow and ice. We also live near the desert so I can play in the sand.

I wouldn't want to go any older than the last generation of the Cherokee. Is that 97 or 98? I'd prefer a 2000 or 2001. But is there a 'best' year for the last generation Cherokee?

-Paul
    between the:
    SE
    Sport
    Classic
    Limited

Dollar for dollar, where would I get the best value for the equipment provided (assuming a stock vehicle with no mods)? Any assistance would be great and truly appreciated.

-Paul
  • I have a 1995 Cherokee SE. 6 cyl, 4 liter.

Can anyone tell me the HP and 0-60 speed? I wanna say the HP is 190 but I'm not sure.

My Cherokee's been great, but I really need a truck, so I'm looking to make a switch. Its got pretty good pickup/torque and I don't want my new truck to feel like a dog in comparison, so I'm trying to get some numbers.

Thanks
  • erickpl,

re: the offroading of the cherokee.
    It's great, pretty much as capable as the wrangler. Do some searching on the net, you will find plenty of offroad sites about cherokees.
  • WHILE DRIVING LONG UPHILL GRADES AT 80 MPH AND PLUS THE TRANS BLOWS ATF OUT THE OVERFLOW TUBE THAT RUNS UP TO THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT AND LEAKS BACK ON THE EXHAUST HEADER PIPE AND SMOKE LIKE JAMES BONDS CAR "SMOKE SCREEN " THE FLUID IS NOT OVER FILLED . DEALER TOLD ME THAT THIS IS NORMAL FOR A 4X4 XJ WITH THE "AW4" AUTOTRANS. NORMAL DRIVING IT DOES NOT HAPPEN. ANY ONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM ?
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,233
    First things first, turn the caps off dude.

Happened to me a couple times. Only did it if I was driving too fast (my opinion) and the tranny had to downshift to pull a long hill at high speeds. Also did it once when I put the hammer down up a hill to pass a bunch of people (accelerating well into the 80-90mph range). Can't be good on anything, but it certainly will remind you it's a Jeep and not a sports car:)

Mine was a 2001. The 4.0L is a very strong motor, but it doesn't have much on the top-end IMHO. Of course it really shouldn't go that fast anyway without some serious suspension/tire mods!
    Want to make sure the transfer case tubing (I think they call it a blowback valve??) is clean. My 2000 had a similar problem and appeared as if it were leaking. Going uphill the fluid flows back to the exhaust and makes the smoke.

-Paul
  • I have a 2000 Cherokee, and my wiper washer failed. I need to check the fuse, but the fuse diagram that is supposed to be in the panel is not there. Can ayone please tell me which number fuse is for the wiper washer motor?

Thanks
  • I have 145XXX miles on my 96 Cherokee. It came with the upcountry suspension and my shocks are a little tired. I am told that the OEM shocks were made by Bilstein. Can anyone provide me with the Bilstein part number for after market shops that would be the same as the OEM. I am hoping that these can be had for price less than the dealer offers.
  • dancermandancerman Posts: 220
    I have a '99 model. I looked in the owner manual for the wiper washer fuse location. The manual shows a diagram for the fuse box located behind the passenger side kick panel. There is not a fuse identified for the wiper washer.

I have had my rear wiper fuse burn out. This fuse also puts power to the rear washer. It is #22 and takes a 20 amp.fuse. Sorry if this is not much help.
  • I have a 2000 Sport, completely stock, and find it to be the best combination of luxury, price, and capability. It does not have some of the unnecessaries such as a moonroof, leather, heated seats or cruise control (although this is an easily installed dealer option), but the 4x4 Command-Trac will get you through anything, I mean anything! I took mine on a sugar-sand beach, with 35 psi in the bald tires, I still got through the sand, no problem.

Weak spots, IMHO, are the stereo, the stock paper speaker are horrible but easily replaced by 6.5" aftermarket speakers. The Infinity stock CD play sounds great, never skips, although its a bit weak on wattage. An efficient set of speakers (I purchased Polk EX650s) will help. My rear wiper only works occasionally. The body does squeak and rattle a bit more than I was accustomed to in a Japanese truck, but hey, its a jeep, I expected a little less as far as structural integrity as compared to a Japanese product. You get what you pay for- a 4x4 Toyota 4Runner was $10,000 more, similarly equipped. And my Cherokee will smoke a 4Runner on or off road. The stock Goodyear RS-A's will HAVE TO BE REPLACED. They suck. Actually, when they were new, they were decent in dry, hot weather, as they are pretty grippy. As the tread wears away.... But the second it rains or snows, watch out, they just spin. I have used 4wd in the rain with these tires. I am trying to wear mine out as much as possible, as I can't afford new tires right now, but I hear that Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos are the best tire for a Cherokee, and much cheaper than Michelins. They'll be my next tire.

The 4.0 inline 6 is the best feature of this truck. It pulls from a stoplight like a freight train. The engine, automatic trannie, and transfer case are built tough and work great together. I have beaten 4Runners, Ford Exploders, and my friends Chevy Blazer in a straight line race easily. A newer Pathfinder or a V8 Grand Cherokee will beat a Cherokee though. The Cherokee is a little weak over 80 mph, but will smoke almost any truck between 0 and 50 mph.

I highly recommend the 2000 Sport. Its a great truck.

adirondack27
  • I am considering buying a 1999 Cherokee with 46000 miles. It appears to be quite solid. Any suggestions on replacement tires and shocks? Also, any other comments or things I need to know? Thanks.
  • I have a 2000 that I bought with 42000 miles. I now have 81000 miles on it. Check for fluid changes, I'll bet the transmission needs it bad, every thing else will need it to. Cherokees have lots of fluids that need to be changed at regular intervals according to the owners manual. you may get a rattle in transfer case lever and the exsaust may rattle on cold mornings. both fixeble at your dealer if you want to spend the money. I just ignore mine when it happens. shocks should be okay. read the reviews at Tirerack.com and do some hunting around. I paid $66 per tire + $20 for mount,balance and insurance per tire at the local Firestone dealer for Bridgestone Dueller AT's. Tirerack wanted $74 plus shipping ($20 a tire) and I would of had to have them mounted and balanced locally at $20 per tire. I have had good luck with them so far. Do the research and you will end up with a good tires. The Cherokee is solid truck and will go 200000 miles with regular maintenance. No real major weak spots in the 6 cyl/4speed auto package which is what I would reccomend you get. 3 speed auto not as tough.
  • thanks for the information !!
  • babsjbabsj Posts: 9
    I've got a 99 Limited and all I can suggest is that you get ALL fluids changed. Everything. It might be a little pricey but better safe than sorry. Check the serpentine belt -- I just replaced mine. If you have 4WD get that system serviced, too. I've been meticulous about all of this, but I know others are not. So, if you're unsure about the care your 99 Classic has received better safe than sorry. I have not had any trouble with my Jeep in 58,000 miles.
    I replaced tires at 30,000 miles with Goodyear Integrity -- no complaints EXCEPT for some increased road noise during the last 10,000 miles. Next set will still be Goodyear but probably another model.
    Good luck -- I think you'll enjoy your Jeep for a long time. It's a great vehicle!!!!!
  • I would recommend the BF Goodrich TA Long Trail tires. I purchased my set at Sams for about $80 each (tire + mounting, balancing, road hazard) for my 2000 Sport and after a year I have been pleased with them. The original Goodyear Wrangler RT/S lasted about 69,000 miles, not too bad but whatever you get, be sure to rotate them every 6,000-7,500 miles, otherwise they won't last too long no matter what you get. Oh yeah, the 4-speed automatic transmission is very durable and easy to service yourself (has a drain plug on the bottom of the pan). Be sure to use the recommended ATF, the Dexron/Mercon, its not a Chrysler manufactured tranny (thus the reason I went with this automatic rather than a 5-speed). Our Cherokee now has about 84,000 miles, no major problems to speak of.
  • Did you change the trans filter? If so, how hard is it to DIY?
  • No, no filter change, drained the tranny at 30,000 60,000 and will do it again at 90,000. It drains out about half of the fluid (approx. 2 qts)when you pull the plug. Just record how much was removed and top it back off (careful not to overfill). I will probabally do the filter around 120,000, if everything shifts good up till then.
  • I was thinking about buying an 87 XJ pioneer model from someone I work with. it's got 176K miles. The owner had replaces the closed cooling system with an open one, switched the vacuum activated 4wd on the front axle to manual secondary to malfunction and he told me the exhaust manifold has a leak. I know the a/c doesn't work, he said the 4wd is fine and I haven't driven it yet b/c he's not sure if he's selling yet. Would anyone be able to tell me what I could offer. He paid $2600 about three years ago at a dealer. Blue book is ~1200, but edmunds is putting it around $700.

I plan to put a little into it for off-roading. It won't be my daily driver.
  • have a 99 sport with 195000, and the rear passenger door will not open. (power locks) all other doors work fine. Also, remote keyless entry does not work - batteries have been replaced in key unit, no blown fuses. Have tried removing rear interior panel to inspect locking mechanism, but could not remove. Any ideas?
  • My first automobile as a driver was a 1992 Cherokee Laredo 4x4 with about 140,000 miles on it. Unfortunately, less than a year after I got it I had an accident and since the value was so low, it was "totaled."
    I got a 1993 Cherokee Sport (this time without 4x4, unfortunately) last August with only 84k miles on it. Although the great I6 engine still runs true, I miss some of the amenities of the higher-class Laredo (cargo cover, chrome trim, flip triangle windows, and of course 4x4).
    What is amusing is that we've encountered almost the exact same problems in each Jeep. I can almost predict what will happen next, whether it be some type of leak (on the 92 it was the oil, now its the steering fluid), a broken door hinge (trying to defy fate now using some lubricant so I won't have to replace a hinge part, like in the first one), or the EXACT same starter problems (sometimes won't start unless you put it in neutral). However, in the 93 Sport we've had some major transmission problems. It turns out that for some reason it was without transmission fluid for a while, so we got a custom job at Jiffy Lube and some fluid put in. It improved for a while, but then began to deteriorate again. We checked it again today just out of curiosity, and it appeared to have no fluid this time either! We just got back from the Lube again, they put some fluid in. In the 93 Sport model was there a problem with transmission fluid leaks? This problem and the recent development has just blown us away.
    Besides the phantom transmission fluid, we've had good luck with both Cherokees. They are durable, roomy (in the front at least) yet compact, and useful to haul cargo. What say you?
    -Langley, a young Cherokee fan
  • langleylangley Posts: 2
    My Jeep has the 4.0 L I-6, and it has 190 HP and 225 lb-ft of torque.
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, just arrived in New MexicoPosts: 40,547
    Most stolen cars (CNN Money)

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• 700-1200 range seems fair, maybe even high, especially since the AC is out. I have an 84 Pioneer with the 2.8L V6 (ok, stop laughing) with 160k+ miles (on this engine), loads of electrical problems, and I just replaced the floor boards and fiberglassed it. I bought the rig for $200, running, 4x4 working, with a "few" electrical problems, but for $200 you get what you pay for. So for your 87, seems like the 700 price is good. Does it have the 2.8 or the 4.0, as that would add a few bucks, IMO.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    Did any of the Jeep Cherokee (or Grand Cherokee) engines ever use what's known as variable valve timing?
  • matteo2matteo2 Posts: 17
    I have a 2000 Cherokee Sport, I want to replace trans fluid and filter, and rear and front differential fluids. Has anyone done this and have any tips? Also how easy is it to do a radiator flush on these.
  • icenutticenutt Posts: 1
    What I need help with is I have a moon roof in my Jeep Cherokee but the drain tubes are plugged. Every time it rains, the rain drips into the cab. How and where can I clean those drain tubes out? Thanks.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
    A newspaper reporter seeks to interview current and former Jeep Cherokee owners. Please send your daytime contact info and the model year of your vehicle to jfallon@edmunds.com by Wednesday, March 31, 2004.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jakemailjakemail Posts: 7
    I have a 2000 Classic 4X4. My vehicle was stolen and recovered. The Jeep dealership put her back together nicely. However, the Idiots took it off-road and they may have missed something mechanically. I was wondering does anyone know how to test the 4 wheel drive component for optimum operability with out taking it off road myself to see how I fare? I heard something about putting into 4 wheel drive and then making sharp turns...I don't know. Any ideas would be great.