Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Cherokee

Comments

• rixmixrixmix Member Posts: 1
    I would like to know if replacing the radiator, will have any effect on my AC.
    Note! I had to replace my radiator on jeep cherokee, I picked it up this morning, and now the AC does not blow cold air. The mechanic reply ..... I didn't touch anything else on your car. I just installed radiator....(.

I don't much about cars.... but I know there is some connection with AC/ radiator.
    He said I could bring it it and they will check my AC, for a fee, not a follow up/
  • rickcherokeerickcherokee Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I have a 93 Cherokee Country and the front windshield wipers behave erratically.
    The trouble is in the range of travel of the arms themselves.
    Sometime, they go so far to the left, one goes off the windshield while the other stops in the middle ....at the other extreme, they both smack down on the body in front of the windhield.
    Both extremes occur within minutes of each other, and it dosent seem to be a smooth transistion between extremes.
    Whats wrong, and how do ya fix it?
    thanks,
    Rick.
  • davefewoxdavefewox Member Posts: 5
    my 98 won't go to defrost either. just out the top of the side vents..i'm going to look around in there when i install a stereo. i'll post here with what i find. also, my fan switch only works on HI any help out there for that?
  • bobcat2444bobcat2444 Member Posts: 1
    I have A 1990 Cherokee Pioneer with the 4.0 I-6, fuel injected (MPI). It runs fine when cold but spits and snorts at me when warm. No power and will barely make it home after it warms up. However, if I floor it, it clears up a bit and drops into passing gear. I am using a lot of fuel running around town in passing gear. Has anyone had this problem? Thought I would ask before changing all the sensors.

thanks,
  • sun1sun1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone! Newbie here at square one. Trying to learn some basics.

I dont have an owners manual for my Jeep Cherokee 92 and I cant figure out where the tranny fluid goes.

Any suggestions
  • davefewoxdavefewox Member Posts: 5
    my 98 sport 90k miles has consistant oil pressure readings at the absolute lowest values in the book (13 -20 at idle) (43-48 at highway speed) is this cause for concern?
  • deloondeloon Member Posts: 2
    Jeepman1,
    One possibility is that the sparkplug wires need replacing. I had a car with problems similar to what you describe, and it turned out that the sparkplug wires were bad. Hope this helps.
  • billcoop382billcoop382 Member Posts: 6
    I have just upgraded from a 94 4x4 Sport to a 2001 2wd Sport. The 94 has a Reese hitch received bolted on, and it was my intent to remove the hitch and bolt it on to the 2001. All the hitch web-sites I could find suggested that there is no difference in the hitch between these years (and several others). Trying to bolt this on to the '01 presented a problem as the gas tank is in the way. The tank appears to have a plastic cover over a steel tank, but I'm leery ot forcing a fit. I assumed (incorrectly) that this would be a straight forward bolt on.

Anyone with any experience in this care to enlighten me?

Thanks in advance
  • mcattmcatt Member Posts: 9
    I recently took a highway trip in a friends 2001 Cherokee w/ 2wd and it seemed smoother and more precise than my 4wd. Is this my imagination or are the 2wd Cherokees better on road than 4wd?
    Final update on the sunroof issue: confirmed what folks previously stated, there was no option for sunroof in '01.

So I had an aftermarket glass sunroof (I guess technically it's called a "moonroof") installed by the shop recommended by the local Jeep dealer and am DELIGHTED w/ results. Inside and out, can't tell it's not factory in any way--headliner looks perfect, has a sunshade and one-touch electronic control (that, among other things, shuts it automatically 10 secs or so after turn off ignition). It does take away headroom, but I'm tall (6'3) so drive w/ seat back reclined anyway so it's just not a problem. Cost $1,100, comes w/ full guarantee for 36 mos.

Re legroom, also wanted to confirm what someone else stated earlier: the power seats on the Classic/Limited offer NOTICEABLY more legroom that the manual seats. Also noticed that the 2 wheel drive version doesn't have the Select Track/Command Track lever on the console, so more comfortable for right leg to lean against.
  • pharroffpharroff Member Posts: 2
    just saw this didnt know if you got it fixed or not but my 97 did the same and i had to replace the nuetral saftey switch in order to get it to start everytime correctly kinda of expensive but works
  • pharroffpharroff Member Posts: 2
    i have a 98 that has a 3" lift and everythings works except for the a/c. when i go to turn it on all i get is hot air in the front but rear air blows out cold.
    I have checked the compresser and it tends to ice up.
    also when i turn it on in the cold i get warmer air than outside but not hot.
  • friendofbillwfriendofbillw Member Posts: 1
    Purchased a Cherokee/73,000 original miles 5spd w/ac. Can I change the waterpump? It looks easy enough in the books. Shade tree mechanic abilities, tune-ups etc, and I need to save money.
  • casandranowcasandranow Member Posts: 14
    We have a 95 Cherokee Country that for the last few weeks was stalling out immediately after starting. It started slowly at first, only doing every once in a while, now though it's very difficult to keep it started once turning the ignition. If I keep my foot constantly pumping on the gas as I turn the key, most times it'll catch and stay running. So I'm wondering if it's either the fuel filter or the fuel pump. Our mechanic that we use is out for knee surgery for the rest of this month, so I'm hoping it's either minor and therefore cheap to fix at a service station and not a dealership or something that maybe I could replace, like the filter.

It had been heating up a bit, almost like the fan wasn't kicking in before this happened, so could the two be related? It doesn't have a ton of mileage on it (105k) for the year, and we've been pretty good at keeping parts that needed replacing, replaced right away.

Any suggestions?
  • randysaintrandysaint Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 Jeep Cherokee 6 Cyl that is not getting any power to the electrical cooling fan. I hooked up a volt meter to the connector and I get no voltage when the car is running A/C on or off, nor when the car gets hot.
    I've checked all the fuses and they are good. I've swapped the relays so they don't appear to be the problem.

Would you have any suggestions on what to do next?

Thanks in advance,
    Randy
  • mistertmistert Member Posts: 2
    Sounds like your wiper arms are slipping on the shafts. You will probably have to replace the arms. They should run between $20 & $25 apiece. If it's the shafts themselves, that's another can of worms in and of itself.
  • jax111jax111 Member Posts: 2
    Could some one tell me how to remove the left rear power door lock actualor from my 96 cherokee classic,. I have the door panel off and can see the actualor. Its loose.. it appears that its riveted in but im not sure. If it is will a standard pop rivet fix it up. Do I need to drill it out?
    thanks
  • amylizamyliz Member Posts: 1
    I have a '99 Cherokee Classic and am interested in getting an after-market sunroof put in. I have not really done any checking, but was worried that the dome light inside would be in the way. Was this a problem? Also, your "moonroof" opens completely, or just pops up? Thanks for any help you can offer!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Moonroofs & Sunroofs: Which are better, factory or aftermarket? discussion may also give you some ideas.

Steve, Host
    Dome light not compromised in any way--they move it back a couple inches to accommodate the sunroof. The kit must come w/ a matched headliner, because headliner they installed has an indentation that accommodates the repositioned dome light, as well as the control switch (control switch forward of sunroof, dome light aft). The new headliner perfectly matches the color and texture of the original.

The sunroof has electronic control: push one button and it automatically retracts fully, push another and it pops up, push another and it closes (also closes on its own five secs. after engine turned off unless you overide). It also has a sunshade.

Again, the entire install looks and performs like it came from factory, I'm very pleased w/ results. Just need to make sure a competent shop installs. I called three area Jeep dealerships and two of them recommended the same place; they obviously knew what they were taliking about.

Only downside is you lose some headroom, but mostly above back seat area. I'm 6'3 and don't have a problem in front, haven't ever sat in back to be honest!
  • jeepgirl3jeepgirl3 Member Posts: 10
    I have a sweet 1994 Jeep Cherokee with over 200,000 miles on it. I recently had a overheating problem that I thought was linked to the water pump. I changed that, took 7 hours, but it was my first time. Still overheated. I replaced the thermostat (1.5 hours, I am getting better), and it still overheated. Replaced the radiator and the mechanical fan pump (piece of cake), and now it will overheat only if going slowly up a steep hill for several miles, but it still overheats. Regular highway and downtown travel are fine. I feel like I have replaced the entire cooling system, but I must be missing something. I love this Jeep, and will do whatever I have to to keep it. What next? Also, what other types of maintenance procedures will I need to learn to keep my baby happy.
  • jeepgirl3jeepgirl3 Member Posts: 10
    You can definately do the job. I did it with no automotive experience at all on a 1994. I can tell you that with the older vehicle you may want to change the thermostat (always change it if you have overheated, $6) , and the clutch on the mechnical fan as well (when the waterpump is failing the fan works harder, $35). Do them all at the same time, and you will save a lot extra effort. If you have deterioration in the radiator, I did on my '94, you may want to put a new one of them in as well ($145). All of this work is fairly easy, and the way I see it, cheaper than a car payment.
  • vinbro1vinbro1 Member Posts: 1
    I hace an 89 Cherokee Laredo, new headgasket, machined the head, new valves, new thermostat, new water pump, new radiator, new overflow bottle and cap, still overheating. Time to bring it in? I would hate to have overlooked something simple, a new temp. sensor or something.
    I don't let it get to hot, as I would hate to have to take the darn head off or worse yet, a cracked block.
    I do not have coolant in my oil or oil(petro) in my coolant. It is drivin' me crazy.
  • devilroosterdevilrooster Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1990 cherokee and it broke down on me a few weeks ago. it wil turn over and act like it is going to start but wont. i changed the feul pump and the crankshaft positioning sensor and the ignition switch. but none of that is working. i am out of ideas and need help. thanks
  • malibu99malibu99 Member Posts: 305
    Hello everyone

My friend has a 2000 Jeep Cherokee taht just had some bodywork done ( it was in a collision ). Just today we noticed that when the windshield washers are activated that the fulid does not come out of the sprayers, instead it flows down the front fender which leads me to believe the body shop did not hook the tube back up. My question is, what do I need to do to get to thie area where the tube hooks up to the pump? What needs to be removed? We can not see anywhere where it hooks up and it looks like its inside the fender somewhere? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

:(
  • srqdavesrqdave Member Posts: 4
    Have you checked the timing belt. Classic symptom....acts like it wants to start and then won't...

Good Luck
  • jax111jax111 Member Posts: 2
    Could some one tell me what the torque settings for the valvecover are>?
  • prc2prc2 Member Posts: 16
    I have a 2000 Cherokee Sport (2WD, Four-Door), and it has a stock hitch system, but I have no idea which class it is. I am going to rent a UHaul to drive cross-country, but I need to know which trailer to use based on my hitch class.

The sticker on my hitch reads "Do not exceed the lower of: Weight Distribution 5000 lbs (max trailer lb), Weight Carrying 2000 lbs (max trailer lb)."

Is this a class I or class III?

Thanks!
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    According to the documentation that came with my Cherokee when new, it's a class III. I can tell you from experience that 5,000# is no fun on a Cherokee, or most any small SUV IMHO. Keep it around 2500-3,000# and you'll be safe.
  • prc2prc2 Member Posts: 16
    Great. Thanks for your response. Looking in my owner's manual, it appears that Jeep installed Class I hitches on the 2.5 liter Cherokees, and Class III hitches on the 4.0 liter. Based on your recommendations, I will treat my Class III as a Class II, and I should be okay.

Is there anything special that I should do before I start my drive (special coolant, oil, etc.)? What about for the heavy Rocky Mtn. inclines?

Thanks.
  • ed96ed96 Member Posts: 20
    from experience i can tell you jeeps are notorious for staying hot once they decide to get that way. so one must adapt. try to flush the engine of deposits . you can try the chemical stuff or have it shop done . cooling system flush. make sure you have the right thermostat. check radiator cap, simple but important. you did not mention fan clutch. does 94' have dual fans or single mech. if dual make sure elec. fan is coming on with temp, not just a.c.. I put an elec. in front of my mech. after all of above. and wired it to . a.c. if its hot the a.c. is on was my logic. working great last three las vegas summers and mountains. of course this in on an 88 woody. never had problems with my 96 or 99 cherokee (knock wood). hope this helped. keep us informed
  • ed96ed96 Member Posts: 20
    yes it is a pop rivet . yes drill it out . and yes a standard pop rivet will replace.
    Shouldn't need anything special. Just make sure all the maintenance is up-to-date. The transmission is the biggest concern, and the best way to keep it cool is to lock it out of OD on the hills so it doesn't shift back/forth to maintain speed. These motors do pretty good, but even with 2500# you will surely notice the weight behind you. Make sure your tires are good and maybe air them a little on the high side. The last thing you want is the tires heating up. Good luck! Driving cross-country is a lot of fun IMHO.
  • jeep89jeep89 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone,
    I have an 89 Jeep Cherokee and noticed a humming noise so I had the fuel pump replaced. The noise ceased but now the fuel gauge in the dash does not register and just sits to the far right indicating it is beyond full, also as I drove along the expressway and reached 50-55mph it started shaking uncontrollably, I slowed down thinking I had a flat or something and it started driving alright at about 35 mph. I reached 45-50 and it continued to drive alright, does anyone know what could be causing these problems???
  • dei4evrdei4evr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1991 jeep cherokee with the straight 6 cyl, 4.0L engine. A friend power washed the engine and since then I have been having problems. It shifts at 3,000 rpm between first and second and not too bad into 3rd. Sometimes it shifts into overdrive and sometimes it doesn't. It has also started idling between 2,000 and 2,500 rpm. Since it was time for a tune up I change plugs, wires, rotor, cap, air filter. Now coincidence that he power washed it and now I have problems or could he have inadvertantly blown a hose of somewhere, or is this a vacuum problem. Do these have vaccum or are they cable? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • pioneer1pioneer1 Member Posts: 1
    I`m looking at buying a cherokee and wanted to know what to look for. How can you tell if it has a tow package? Is there something in the vin? Thanks for all the help.
  • miscmisc Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 96 Cherokee 4.0 (UK model). I made the mistake of removing a few fuses to track down an electrical fault and when I came to put them back I couldn't remember where the 5 amp dash light fuse went. Can anyone tell me what number this fuse goes in as I don't have a fuse diagram. Many thanks.
    It wouldn't be in the VIN#. The easiest way is to just look at the hitch. The factory hitch has a built-in 7-pin (large round) receptacle plug built onto it, with a metal guard around it. Most folks wouldn't go to the bother of adding a factory hitch, so that's a pretty good indication it came with the tow package. The electrical plug and guard are on the left side of the hitch.
  • rhall2rhall2 Member Posts: 1
    Hello randysaint #1410 did you ever get your cooling fan fixed? I'am having the same problem with my 89 4.0.

Thanks

rhall2
  • philrobphilrob Member Posts: 1
    I'm having same problem
    Did you ever get it sorted ?

Phil MI
  • 98classic98classic Member Posts: 6
    i don know if you have had a reply to this yet but, i have a 98 classic i have over 150000 miles on it my oil pressure does the same thing i took it to two certified mechanics and they gave the "are you serious look" ,, yeah it's ok.
    Hello, i had the same problem, runs fine until it warmed up but then yeah it didnt want to run to well, i took it in under waranty( of course it wasnt covered) but my problem was the Throttle positioning sensor, maybe try that. it fixed mine.
    jeepman 1, this is the same prob that i had ,.... throttle postiioning sensor, check it out.
  • 4wheelinsteve4wheelinsteve Member Posts: 2
    This is strange after i start my Cherokee and then i shut it off it use to restart after waiting 5- 10 minutes which wasn't right in the first place.If i would try to turn the engine on right after shutting it off it does nothing.After waiting 5 min. it would finally restart.Now i started it and shut it off then tried to restart no good now it won't start at all.I also tried it in neutural to see if it was the safety switch but that wasn't it.I was thinking maybe a relay i hear a click by the fuse panel when i try to start it.I have an alarm its always in valet mod.So i don't think thats any problem.Are there some things i can check? :sick:
  • 4wheelinsteve4wheelinsteve Member Posts: 2
    Okay an update i reset the alarm.Then i put it back to valet tryed it no good then i put it in neutural and it started :mad:
  • 4eyedwoody4eyedwoody Member Posts: 1
    This problem has me very concerned, because I have a similar problem on my '98 XJ Limited. When the car is cold, it starts after cranking for a while. If it's warm, it will only start like it should if it has sat about three minutes or less. Otherwise, it won't start, and I'll have to do the following: Crank the engine about 5 seconds, pause in the "ignition" position of the key for three seconds, crank again. It usually starts right up with that. On really hot days, it takes three tries. I'm leaning toward a fuel pressure problem, and have yet to start delving into full diagnosis. If anyone out there has encountered a similar problem and have solved it (replaced a relay, fuel pump, perhaps accumulator) I'd like something to go on before I try this cold (literally!) And no, my Cherokee does not have an alarm, or anything extra, for that matter to disable ignition. It does NOT have the Sentry Key engine immobilizer (My 2002 Wrangler does). The engine cranks fine, but doesn't want to start. Other than this rather weird problem, the car's held up to my stellar experience with Jeeps with 4.0 liter engines. I have a 1990 Wagoneer Limited (woody 4 headlight Cherokee) with 234,000 miles on original engine and transmission. Never rebuilt, still going VERY strong. It is because of my experience with my Wagoneer that I bought my 2002 Wrangler three years ago (just paid it off!) I love these cars!
  • thorsnakethorsnake Member Posts: 14
    My 99 XJ passengers floor is wet when the A/C is running. I'm sure its some sort of pluged drain hose or some thing? Can some one give me a idea of where to look? Or how to fix this :)
  • thorsnakethorsnake Member Posts: 14
    My A/C is not as cold as it used to be. Slowly over time it has become warmer, and warmer. I see cans of freon with guages for sale at Wal-Mart. Can I buy these and put the freon in my self with out hurting the A/C? Has anyone done this if so how did you go about it? Do you put the freon in with the engin running? Any info would be great :)
  • sandisezzsandisezz Member Posts: 4
    Curious, did you find the source of your Cherokee's over-heating problem... I'm getting ready to change out a radiator, thermostat... cooling system! in my 95 Cherokee Country. Thanks, Bill
  • pahefner01pahefner01 Member Posts: 202
    I am a certified HVAC technician and I can't even charge my own AC on my Jeep because of EPA regulations. If they catch you venting refrigerant it is a $25,000 fine. My 99 XJ AC did the same thing. These vehicles are notorius for having bad evaporator coils. Mine was corroded beyond repair. Take it to the dealer and demand that they fix it as a defective item. If you try to charge it, be very careful not to vent any refrigerant. However, if you get caught doing it without proper licensing it's still a fine. Automotive systems only hold about three of those little cans of refriegerant so it's unlikely that it's the charge. :lemon: