Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Cherokee

Comments

• jeeperjeeper Member Posts: 4
    hey ,
    my baby 99 cherokee lost a fog light to a tragic rock accident. dealer wants 130.00 dollars for one light.( its my baby, not my wife!) . anybody know a good aftermarket that will fit or can be coerced into place. i will be replacing both so blue lights are not a problem. i also need to get new rotors . tired of the oem. tired of the brake shakes. thanks in advance TTFN (tribute to winchell)
  • dancermandancerman Member Posts: 220
    www.jeepsareus.com -- they sell individual OEM fog lights for half that. Can't help with rotors, I have the same issue.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is interested in speaking with current Cherokee owners about their major likes, dislikes, price paid and other vehicles considered. He will also want to mention your name, city and state. If you are interested in speaking with this reporter, please send your name and daytime phone number to Pam Krebs, Edmunds.com PR, at pkrebs@edmunds.com before Wednesday, July 6. Thank you.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• sandisezzsandisezz Member Posts: 4
    Danny, I have not changed out the radiator yet... I'm still delaying the inevitable!
  • coldbuschcoldbusch Member Posts: 1
    I'm about to try to do an OEM replacement and your picture looks exactly like what I have....2000 Jeep Cherokee. My first question is: What is the first step to take to remove the radio?

Is the "head unit" the plastic frame that goes around the a/c vents, radio, heating & cooling, cig lighter, switches, and 12V power source?

I hope your replacement unit sounds as good as it looks.

Thanks, JCS
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    Thanks for the reply sebring. I've read somewhere that lower temps would cause the engine to run rich. With gas being a little over $2/gallon and me driving roughly 90 miles each day, I don't want to upset my 21 mpg. I'm like you, I don't see how I could hurt anything. The coolant needs changing anyway. And if I notice a sudden dive in mileage, it's not a big deal to drain some coolant and put a new 195* back in. I don't live in an area that does e-checks. Thank goodness. My YJ would never pass!! At 13mpg there's no way. :D
  • jeepgirl3jeepgirl3 Member Posts: 10
    Thank you so much for for this reply. I recently replaced the entire new cooling system in my 1994 Cherokee, radiator and cap, water pump, thermostat, and fan clutch. When I bought the thermostat, the guy asked what temp I wanted: 195º, 185º or 165º. I had no idea, so I picked the one in the middle. Well, he gave me the 165º, and I installed it. I get over 19mpg, which is not too bad, but I do have to pass emmisions testing in my state, so now I know to switch it out before going for the test. Thanks, the Jeep always fails emmisions on the first try, maybe this time it will pass.

Also, on days when the temperature is below 90º. I have no problem with the temp (stays at the 165º mark), unless I climb a long steep hill, but on hotter days the temp very slowly creaps up, and then runs quite high, I think it would over heat if I let it. The heater seems to suck the heat off the engine quite well, but is a little warm in a 90º+ day. I'm wondering if the thermostat is opening all the way. The eletrical fan does kick on, and the temperature drops when it does, but then slowly rises. Stopping at lights and such does not cause the temp to rise any faster. Since I replaced the entire cooling system I am unsure of what to replace next.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Wow coldbusch, you dug that one out of the past! I'll try to remember how it went....basically I believe you just pop the plastic trim piece that surrounds the entire center console (radio, hvac, cig lighter, etc.). It comes off in one piece, I think you grab the bottom and pull out, then the top will come. You might have to move the shifter out of park to have room to pull the bottom out. Basically there's just a couple screws holding in the factory radio. IIRC, it only took maybe 15 minutes to swap it out. Just make sure you have the right adapter harness and it's a breeze.

As for sound....the factory speakers are pretty bad too. I swapped them out with Infinity Kappas (do they still make these??) and that was a huge improvement. I was pretty happy with the system. Sold the Jeep to a friend and the system is still going strong.
  • daaudaau Member Posts: 1
    When driving along and hit a bump, the whole vehicle shakes like crazy...What's up?
  • jeepking22jeepking22 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1993 Jeep Cherokee. Recently, my tail lights simply stop functioning. I replaced all the bulbs, and checked all the fuses, and still my tail lights will not turn on. This is a large problem because when night comes, I have no way to get around, because I have already received a ticket for "defficient lighting." My headlights, parking lights, reverse lights, turning signals, and brake lights all work, can anyone think of a reason of why my tail lights aren't functioning? Any ideas would help.
    Thanks
    -Nick
  • jeeperjeeper Member Posts: 4
    first , replace both front and rear shocks . if oem they suck they are shot. ive had gabriels and monroes in my jeeps and both were superior , changed ride remarkably. next check mounts on engine ( should not be problem but never know. ) if time and money not an issue order the silcone set from whitney . boots mounts . i have the same jeep and my ride improved 100 % with just the upgrade shocks . depending on your mileage check the springs. but do the shocks first. buy the best that you can . get an all around shock . off road shocks will just stiffen an already stiff ride.
    Have you tried checking the ground? Are they even getting any power? - A fuse could be ok, but something could have chewed/broken the wires going to the tail lights.
  • jeepking22jeepking22 Member Posts: 2
    What do I need or how do you suggest to check the ground?
    Use a multi-tester. You can get one at AutoZone, Advance, NAPA, or any auto parts store. Infact, I'm sure Wal-Mart would have one in their auto dept. There will be a "continuity" mode on that tester. What that mode does is to check whether a connection or length of wire is conductive. Usually these testers will have a small alligator clip that you attach to a grounding surface near the item you are checking, it has to be metal. In the case of your tail lights, I'd suggest an exposed screw head, nut/bolt head, anything that's attached to the body or frame of the Jeep. The other lead you will actually insert the probe into the negative side of the light bulb socket. Do this with the lights turned off just in case you get the positive side first. If the tester doesn't buzz or beep when you try the first wire, try the other wire in the connector. If it doesn't beep at all, then you have a grounding problem.

If it does beep, then you probably have a power supply problem. To check that, probe the positive side of the light socket. You will need to remember which side was the negative side. Set the meter to DC voltage in a high enough range to handle 12V. Mine has 10V and 30V - obviously the 10V setting is too low and will blow the fuse in my unit, use the higher setting. When you turn the lights on, you should see roughly 12V registered on the tester. If not, then you have a broken power supply wire and or a bad connection somewhere in the circuit.

I hope this helps. That multi-tester that you need will help you with all sorts of problems on your Jeep, not just lights.
  • jeepandyjeepandy Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 with auto trans., and was told that it had been driven about 13,000 miles, and towed behind a motor home for about 50,000 miles. The odometer shows 63,000 miles. The first question is: Does the mileage on the odometer go up when the Jeep is being towed?

Next, I checked the MPG and it is only 14.91mpg. This was the first tank of gas, and was around town driving, and a short trip of about 120 miles. No off road driving at all. What can I do to improve the mpg? I have changed the oil and filter, and am using full synthetic 10W30. The air filter appears to be new. Any help will be appreciated.

Third, does anyone know if you can contact a Jeep dealer and get a copy of the window sticker for an old Jeep like mine? I called the dealer where this one was purchased new, and was told by the girl on the phone that "we only keep stuff like that for 5 years". Not sure how accurate her info was... am planning a trip to the dealership in the future. It is located in another town. Anyway... I thought maybe Chrysler had some kind of customer service dept. that would have this info.

Last, I know that Cherokees were made for many years, and I think that there were several (2 or 3) different editions... or body changes during production... anyone have any info about this... or can anyone steer me in the right direction to do my own research?

Thanks in advance... and go easy on me... I'm an old guy and the new kid here.

Andy Anderson
  • amricnsoldramricnsoldr Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1989 Cherokee 4wd with the 4.0 motor and am going out of my mind as to why it wont start. It will crank, fuel pump is pumping and its getting fuel (you can smell it) but something isnt let it start. Heres what I ve replaced so far and nothings changed: camshaft postion sensor in the distributor, the Ignition control module, the coil, the ECU under the dash, cap, rotor and wires, and the starter relay and related relays. I m at a loss. It was an intermittent problem and then it finally didnt want to start. you could tell when it was going to start because the tac would jump slighty. Now it doesnt move. Its like somethings grounding out the module. Anyone have Any ideas?
  • reganp70reganp70 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee. Saturday morning the fan clutch and the electric cooling fan went out. Fortunately when it happened I was about 2 blocks from a garage and not on the highway. I was pulling my boat, which is also about 18 feet long. The total repair with a new thermostat was $875.00. Included in that was the electric cooling fan which cost $475.00 for the part alone.

What ever came about your situation?
  • pbrown6884pbrown6884 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2X4 4-Door, and I wanted to get a lift. I'm finding a bunch of lift kits for Jeep Cherokee XJ's 84-01, and I'm not sure what an XJ is. Can someone help please?
    -PBrown6884
  • usalbertusalbert Member Posts: 6
    thank You very much! I finally replaced my water pump, It was leaking there, now my jeep runs like new!!!!!!!!!! so happy!!!!
    I really apreciatte your help! Now I have another problem! my air conditionenr wont turn on, neither my turn signal! I dont know what to do! if is a loose wire HOw do I find it?
    thank You again :)
  • fishooked2fishooked2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a '98 Cherokee Sport with just over 120K on it, and not looking to spend much more $ on it - basically I want to drive it into the ground before I get something else.

Well it looks like its close to that now - brought it in for service (for other reasons, AC recharging, tire rotation, etc) and Im getting quoted for all new brakes in the front and the rear. And I mean everything - drums, rotors, shoes, you name it. Im getting quoted at least 450+ in the front, and prolly 500+ for the rear. I havent even felt like my brakes were something that even needed to be looked at

For a car that I could prolly only sell for 4K, is it even worth it?
  • worleyguyworleyguy Member Posts: 8
    Hey,

I have a '90 2dr. Is your system closed pressure system? I'm pretty sure it is.

Make sure the radiator cap is on tight and leave it alone.

Get a large bottle, like a windshield washer fluid bottle.
    Cut the bottom out.
    Turn the bottle upside down into the reservoir bottle of your jeep.
    Fill the reservoir up with antifreeze (while using the washer fluid bottle).
    Get someone to start the motor.

The motor will suck the antifreeze in so KEEP THE ANTIFREEZE UP.
    The motor will get up to temp and suck the antifreeze in, having the fluid bottle filled with antifreeze will keep from getting air pockets in the block.
    This is going to take some time and a lot of patience.

Do this until the thermostat maintains running temp, 190-210 depending on thermostat.

Once you maintain temp, put the reservoir bottle cap on tightly.
    Don't worry if the bottle expands, the cap will releave any pressure and then it will seal. DON'T OPEN THE RESERVOIR CAP UNLESS THE BLOCK IS COMPLETELY COOL!! Opening cap will make you loose it's pressure (pressure system, get it)

The next morning, after the block is cool, check the level of antifreeze. If it's still low, add some and put cap back on.

NEVER ADD COOLANT WHILE BLOCK IS HOT OR IT WILL ALL KICK BACK OUT THROUGH THE CAP LATER (it sucks I know, I had an over heating problem for almost 3 years before I did this)

What happens is for one reason or another, air gets in the line or block. Once it's trapped in the block, it's very hard to get rid of.

In the case of my '90, I had a hose leak. When I replaced the hose, it got air in the system. I replaced the thermostat with a 185 degree, new water pump, new hoses, new bottle, new cap, etc etc. Nothing helped. Took it to TWO jeep dealerships and almost a $1000 later, same problem. I finally found a mechanic who was very familiar with the issue and showed me what i described to you above.
    He solved the problem the first time!!! I was amazed, shocked, and pissed off at those "5-Star" dealerships.

Once you get that system straight, don't ever let anyone take that bottle cap off ever. Only you take the cap off and only take it off when it's cool.

Something else happened to my '90, my radiator went bad. The plastic neck on the upper hose cracked and broke completely off!!! What a mess. That pressure system blew off the coolant out. It happened on the interstate, by the time I made it to the shoulder, all the coolant was gone. All gone! I had to buy a new radiator of course. I found a place on line, radiatorbarn.com. I bought (get this) a ALL metal, 3 row (oem is 2 row) for less than a replacement from Advance or Napa. It was a direct fit, no mods. It costs $140 delivered. So, if you ever have that issue, check it out.

Hope I helped. I got on here to ask about a problem I'm having with my '99 XJ.
    I'm having a metal clanking sound from my passenger front hub. Everything is tight. When I turn sharp, it acts like it's in four wheel drive even though it isn't.
    Any help on that?

Good luck!
    WorleyGuy
    I'm having a metal clanking noise in the front passenger hub.
    I notice it most when I hit bumps of course.
    Something else I notice is that when I turn sharp, it feels like the front tires slip, almost as if it's in 4 wheel drive, but it's not.

I looked for joint problems, anything leaking or rubbing, but no sign.
    It's getting worse and I'm afraid it will leave me stranded.

Any ideas?
    Anyone had this issue?

WorleyGuy
    worleyguy@gmail.com
    1. Yes, the mileage does goes up as the vehicle is towed.

2. Mileage depends on many factors. What's your driving style? Does it have the factory size tires on it? Has it been lifted? What's the axle ratios? Make sure none of the brakes are dragging to start. I have a completely stock '01 XJ with 70k miles. My normal daily commute covers roughly 85 miles with about 75% being open highway using cruise control. I usually get between 19.5 and 21 mpg.

3. Jump over to the Jeep Wrangler thread. Ask a fella with the screen name of "tsjay". He can tell you how to get the build sheet for your XJ.
  • thorsnakethorsnake Member Posts: 14
    My Jeep only mechanic. Says changing to a different spark plug other than the factory champion plug will cause the check engine light to go off, and potentionaly cause other problems? :confuse: ? I've had 3 sets of plugs, in 10K, most likely do to a REALLY bad fuel pump ( Just fully replaced ), and to much combustion chamber cleaner. I have always used Split Fires, or other high end plugs on other vehicles. Is what he says true? I would like to get longer life, performace, and gas milage. With out any check engin problems etc? Has any had any success?
  • usalbertusalbert Member Posts: 6
    ThanK You very much! my overheating problem finally is fixed! now! my turn light signal and my ac are no working! cero, nada, there may be losse wire or something! do you now anything about this? :)
  • bripambripam Member Posts: 1
    I'm about to purchase a 2001 jeep cherokee sport 6 cyl, 4wd with auto tran. It has about 60k for mileage. Having never owned a jeep before, my question is the reliabilty of these vehicles. Also what should I be aware of for previous problems with this make and model from 2001?
    Spark plugs causing the SES light to come on????? Come on. :surprise: The only way that I can see that happening is if you install literally the WRONG plugs. Ones that may be too cold, or hot, short, long, wrong seating surface, etc.....

If anyone here has first hand experience with this, I'd love to hear it.
    That's exactly what I have. I bought my first Jeep, a '95 Wrangler, back in September of '03. It was nothing more than a toy for me as I offroad it. Well, I fell in love with it and the Jeep bug bit. Now I have my '01 Cherokee Sport. It's my daily driver. It had 60k miles on it back in February, now has nearly 71k miles. I bought it for three reasons:

1. I completely understand the "Jeep Thing" :D
    2. I love the classic lines of the Cherokee. Most people can't tell a '91 from an '01. Since they didn't change much, parts are super easy to find.
    3. That 4.0L engine is absolutely bullet-proof. I have many Jeep friends that have well over 200k miles on their 4.0's. My wife works with a person that has an older Cherokee, not sure what year, that has just over 275k miles on it.

Since '01 was the last year the Cherokee was produced, many of the bugs had been long since worked out. I honestly am not aware of any particular downfall of this model. Infact, with me getting around 20 mpg out of mine, the only thing I can think of that even could be a turn-off is its truck like ride and handling. But then of course, I've always had trucks, so it's no big deal to me.

My wife also fell in love with Jeeps. Last month my wife traded her Windstar for a Grand Cherokee. Folks, I'm in Jeep heaven!!!! :D
  • jeepandyjeepandy Member Posts: 3
    mullins87... Thanks for the info about my new Jeep. To answer your questions: about my driving style... I drive very carefully and try to get the best mpg I can. The tires are 235/75 R 15 and I believe standard size is 215/75 R 15. It has not been lifted, and I don't know what the axle ratio is. Haven't noticed any dragging brakes. I have put a bottle of Techron in the gas tank to clean the injectors so maybe the mpg will go up. We made a quick trip of about 150 miles yesterday and used less than 1/2 tank of gas.

Is there a way to change the timing (maybe advance a little?) to get better mpg? I did this on a '74 Vega that I once owned and it got 34 mpg on the highway.

Thanks again,
    Andy
    With regard to your MPG question... I get around 17 city, 22 hwy (I drive conservatively). When my (lead foot) son uses my '99 4x4 XJ. He gets 15 city. I run my stock tire size at 36 psi all around. This helps.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    This article may be of interest too:

Generations - Jeep Cherokee

Steve, Host
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Many shops have a standard procedure to recommend everything be replaced once a vehicle reaches a certain age/miles. (monroe and such other chains) Liability type thing is the excuse, but it's real profitable too! You might try another shop as it's not real likely that everything is actually "bad".
    I'm not sure on the factory tire size, you may be right. Mine has 225's on it. I'll usually get anywhere from 275 to 300 miles on a tank before I have to fill up, so this tank may get you decent mileage. You can't just advance the timing on your XJ by turning the distributor, it doesn't have one. Unless, that device that is in the distributors place can adjust the timing. However, I'd bet that would really mess with the computers programming! :P
  • 98classic98classic Member Posts: 6
    Well all i can say is i dont know exactly what it is but i have a 98 classic and it does the same thing when i turn sharp it makes a clunking noise, but!, it didnt start doing this until i changed the hub and the u joint in the passenger side. hope ithis steers ya in the right direction. I love my jeep. :P
  • muddummiemuddummie Member Posts: 1
    I would check the sensor on the back side of the engine. It bolts to the bell housing, and picks up on the fly wheel. I think its called a crank pick up sensor. I had the same problem with one of my jeeps and thats what it was.
  • sierrasmadresierrasmadre Member Posts: 1
    My hubby was changing the rear shocks on our 99 cherokee.. He broke 3 bolts.. the upper bolt he said he can drill and retap.. but he said the rear is like a brackets.. what is the deal with this.. Advance auto parts said it would need cuut and a piece welded on.. Any help will be greatly appreciated.. TIA.. Smiles :) LORI
  • thorsnakethorsnake Member Posts: 14
    I'm about to hit the majic 82,500 miles. It will be time to replace the oxygen sensor, which looks easy. How do you turn off the dash light? BTW its a 99XJ.
  • ksoykksoyk Member Posts: 2
    Hi all! Jeep girl here needing some help - my 91 Jeep Cherokee Laredo has suddenly decided to start sluggish (best word to describe it, I guess). When I turn the key, the turning-over-sound is very sluggish sounding/feeling, and then it catches and runs just like normal. :confuse:
    This wasn't a gradual problem - it literally just started doing it. It still does the typical 2-4 Jeep turn overs and then the engine starts, but the turn overs are struggling now. :(
    I have no idea what's up, and hold my breath every time I turn the key, hoping for it to catch. So far, it's always caught *whew!*. This is my only vehicle!
    Any suggestions on what the problem could be? Many, many thanks for everyone's help!
    If the mount bracket is broken then it will need to be repaired by cutting and/or welding as required to make it strong enough to handle the force of the shock as it does it's job. Sounds like "hubby" can do the work OK... he just had a bit of misfortune on this one. Leave it alone.
    I am assuming you mean your check engine light. Disconnect the battery for a while; then re-connect. Or your local Autozone can clear it for you. If the O2 sensor is causing the light to be on, then replacing it may also turn the light off.
  • wkt37211wkt37211 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a complete OEM kits from the dealer for my two '95's. All the wiring is in place and it didn't take an hour to install. The most difficult part was removing the air bag and replacing the "clockspring." The air bag had a safety mechanism that you screwed in (or out) to disarm the air bag. I has the factory switches and no one can tell it didn't come from the factory with it. The kit was about $175. For me it was worth the money for the ease of installation and the fact I can get parts from a dealer or junk yard if something goes out! :)
    Hey

Thanks for the reply.
    I don't think it's the u-joints. I had never heard anyone say they had clunking noises after they had replaced them, that's odd.

My father in law and I looked over that front in for about an hour both jacked up and sitting on the ground. We were hitting anything and everything with a rubber mallate. It wasn't until I jacked up the Jeep ( i put the jack behind the lower control arm of the passenger side, up on the chasis, high enough to get the tire off the ground) that we noticed a HUGE gap in the sway bar chasis mount bushing mount. The gap is sooo big you could put a number 2 pencil between the bar and the bushing. I have not replaced them as of yet, but I'm thinking it's what's causing it. You can get bushing kits for the sway bar and tie rods for $25. I don't think it will take me an hour to replace them. I will update my message if and when I fix this problem. Check your Jeep out, I'm curious if you may have the same issue.

WorleyGuy
  • sandisezzsandisezz Member Posts: 4
    I finally changed out the radiator for my 95 cherokee (4.0L)... easy enough process. At first I couldn't figure out my overheating problem... no leaking pump, replaced radiator cap, replaced thermostat, replaced water valve thingy for the heater; but i was still building up heat --- I even tried running without a thermostat and it built up heat (but much slower). I could use the heater for a short burst, and the temp would fall. The only thing left was the radiator.

After going to Jeep and the local auto parts stores and getting quotes for a replacement at about $280+, I looked on ebay. I found a listing from an obvious retailer of new parts - so I called them to make sure it would fit. I ordered a 3-row heavy duty replacement for $142.00 delivered. Frankly, it was of better construction than my original, as the replacement was ALL-metal construction versus my original which actually had plastic end pieces!

Installation was easy enough. Remove the electric fan. Remove the mounting screws for the clutch fan shrowd, and push it over the fan blades. Mark the position of the hood latch, then remove the whole top mounting plate. Disconnect the upper radiator hose, overflow hose, transmission upper and lower lines, lower radiator hose --- then the tricky one: the lowest connection on the driver's side. I thought I'd need some kind of special tool to loosen a "special" fitting. After looking at it, I used a small screwdriver and squeezed/pushed the nylon tabs in and the connection just slides apart (DON'T LOOSE THIS NYLON PIECE). And out the old radiator comes!

At this point, I also needed to put in a new thermostat. When I removed the thermostat housing I took my garden hose and shot it through the block, and through the heater lines. While I was running it thru the heater lines, I manually moved the heater line valve thingy located fruther back on the line. Just trying to get a thorough flush. Then re-assembled with an oem thermostat (195)

When I installed the replacement radiator, I did have remove two upper oil cooler support "tabs" because they didn't line up just exactly where mine had been origionally located (just bent them back and forth until they broke off at the edge), so I could use the original brackets. Stuff everything back in its place and wha-la, new radiator. And what'd ya know, no more overheating problems! Total time: about 3 hrs. Sorry for the very long winded note, but hopefully this will help a few others...
  • jeepster5jeepster5 Member Posts: 2
    You at least got your belt loose. I cant quite figure it out. I've got a 99 Cher. with the strait 6 engine, but CANNOT figure out how to get the serp belt off. Driving me nuts. Can you help?
  • canariocanario Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 91 Cherokee and last week it had the very same problem. Exact description.
    The car needs a new starter solenoid (cost me $32 at Pep Boys). The contacts are burnt and do not give full power to the starter motor.
    You need to take the starter out (from the bottom) to replace the solenoid. Or a mechanic can do it for you relativelly cheap.
    Enjoy!
    Jose
    IL
    How old is the battery? If it has any age on it at all, I'd have it load tested. Places like AutoZone or Advance will do that for free.

As mentioned above, it could also be the solenoid. I'd look at the battery first, as that is the easiest part to replace. The starter is really easy to remove. Remove the negative battery cable. Remove the two wires at the starter, one large and one small. Loosen the two bolts holding the starter in place, it bolts into the bellhousing. While holding the starter with one hand, remove the bolts with the other hand. The starter isn't all that heavy, probably 10 to 15 lbs. However, lying flat on your back, it will feel much heavier than that. Once the bolts are out, lower it to the ground. Installation is the reverse of removal. Very simple job, just dirty and inconvenient.
  • ksoykksoyk Member Posts: 2
    Yay! It turned out to be just the battery - I was worried it'd be something more expensive like the alternator or something, but *whew*!
    Thanks, everyone!
    ksoyk
    The tensioner on it must be loosened. There is a bolt that locks the tensioner in place and another for adjusting the tension. Both are metric (can't remember size). The locking bolt is located just right of center (when you are facing the grill). A box end wrench will work but wear a heavy glove to protect your knuckles. There's not alot of room to work and everything has a sharp edge. Careful not to damage the radiator. You only need to break it loose and maybe a half turn more. Then back off the adjusting bolt until the belt can be removed. It's right behind the locking bolt with the hex head pointing up at an angle (long bolt, lots of thread). A socket and extension works best here. You may want to make a diagram of the belt path before you remove it. Good luck.
    Glad to hear it was only the battery. :D