Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 Cadillac ATS Long Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Cadillac

image2013 Cadillac ATS Long Term Road Test

A review of the parking brake in our long-term 2012 Cadillac ATS.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    I can see how this could be counter-intuitive. "Just another thing about this car that drives me crazy." This is sad to hear about the ATS, I had high hopes.
  • Options
    dslay04dslay04 Member Posts: 1
    Audi's are the same way. This prevents an accidental engagement with your leg or hand
  • Options
    hank39hank39 Member Posts: 144
    @dslay - didn't think about it in that way. Makes sense on conceptually, but I guess for most people it seems counter-intuitive.
  • Options
    sharpendsharpend Member Posts: 177
    It's perfectly straightforward if you are used to PULLING UP on a handbrake to engage it as millions have done for decades.
  • Options
    themiddleroadthemiddleroad Member Posts: 7
    I still can't get my head around wanting a Caddie. Mom had a Sedan DeVille from the 80's. It was smooth, but turned like a pig and broke down all the time. It also squeaked like shoes made of mice. I rented a 2007 or so DTS. Well, it was somewhat comfortable and good for a long drive, but it had the same squeak and turning issues. Then I test drove a first-gen CTS-V. At 50k miles, it was falling apart. My 1995 Dodge Neon held up better than that piece of crap. GM still doesn't get it. They probably never will.

And that's just an idiotic location, where it can be accidentally hit. Even if it was, the computer can stop it from engaging. Stupid engineering.
  • Options
    themiddleroadthemiddleroad Member Posts: 7
    I still can't get my head around wanting a Caddie. Mom had a Sedan DeVille from the 80's. It was smooth, but turned like a pig and broke down all the time. It also squeaked like shoes made of mice. I rented a 2007 or so DTS. Well, it was somewhat comfortable and good for a long drive, but it had the same squeak and turning issues. Then I test drove a first-gen CTS-V. At 50k miles, it was falling apart. My 1995 Dodge Neon held up better than that piece of crap. GM still doesn't get it. They probably never will.

And that's just an idiotic location, where it can be accidentally hit. Even if it was, the computer can stop it from engaging. Stupid engineering.
  • Options
    legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    But when you have a parking brake lever you pull to engage and push it back down to release. I guess the world is just waiting for some standardization here.
  • Options
    keviiinnkeviiinn Member Posts: 1
    while the return of this format of Long Term Road Test updates is a welcome change, I hope it's not too little too late. to tell you the truth, this is the first time I've even been on this site since the switch to this "What's Hot" thing. and only because I got the link from Twitter.
  • Options
    stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    On the other hand, with a hand lever you pull to apply the brake and push to release. So it is consistent with that logic.
  • Options
    bayoujay1bayoujay1 Member Posts: 2
    But when you have a manual parking brake, you pull up. Same logic, no?
  • Options
    veedubber86_veedubber86_ Member Posts: 8
    That's dumb.
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    As a handbrake user and rabid hater of the foot operated parking brake, I don't see a problem other than it is not a PROPER handbrake in the middle of the car.
  • Options
    prndlolprndlol Member Posts: 140
    So is there a big fat leather-wrapped lever between the front seats to open the hood?
  • Options
    white97c5vettewhite97c5vette Member Posts: 1
    Seems simple to me, pull out the switch and swap the wires ;)
  • Options
    azsvtazsvt Member Posts: 4
    Donna, I am guessing you never drove a car with a hand operated parking brake. With those, you pull up on the lever to engage the brake and press a release button on it to disengage. As you can see what is "natural" to you would be "unnatural" for those who have used a hand operated parking brake. What you SHOULD be complaining about is that there is no hand operated brake. The ATS foot or electrically (as in your car) operated parking brake makes it virtully impossible to do a proper J-turn. This is supposed to be a driver's car after all.