Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Cherokee

Comments

• sandyboysandyboy Member Posts: 114
    So, you are saying that a Cherokee is 69 inches high? According to the 2001 brochure, it's 63 inches high. You're telling me that the roof rack takes up 6 inches? It doesn't look like it does. R-U Sure ?
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    If the cherokee is too high for that garage (running stock) then that's a big problem because most minivans are taller than the XJ.
  • vin_weaselvin_weasel Member Posts: 237
    I guess I should have looked at what I typed. "A stock Cherokee with a roof rack is 5'9"". What I should have said is MY Cherokee is 5'9" because that was what I measured it to be to the top edge of the roof rack. Granted that's by eyeballing it, but I'll stand by my number. BTW that's an empty stock Cherokee Sport with a stock suspension and stock tires and only 30k km when I measured.

Like I said the parkade is more than likely higher than 6' but signs around here regularly underestimate the height of garages. I don't know why, but they do.
  • boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    I drove by several of the parking garages where I work today. Most were 7'2", but a couple were 6'6" and one was 6'0". I was shocked to see the last one, but it is an old structure, so I guess most vehicles were shorter then. Still, my wife's parking garage is one of the 7'2" ones, so it looks like I will be getting the roof mounted tire carrier. That should give me enough room so that I don't have to put anything in the rear seat when we travel.
    I have a loft in my garage, not for people, for "things" and all I know is that a GRAND Cherokee would not fit in (in height) nor would any other Sport Utilily, which didn't really matter, as I wanted a (XJ) Cherokee, and it fits nicely. Otherwise it was only a Subaru Forester or an Outback that would fit. Even the then "new" Ford Escape was too high. I am positive the new Liberty also would NEVER fit in ! I fail to understnad WHY they all have to be so HIGH. Leaglly you're not allowed to load items above the BOTTOM of the window glass, for visibility pruposes, yet they keep making them HIGHER
  • ak_ownerak_owner Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had experience with a failing fan motor - apparently due to an electrical problem? I own a 1996 Cherokee that I took in 5 times during the factory warranty period for repair. Three fan motors and two switches later, I still have intermittent problems with no fan power - comes on and off for seemingly no reason, but almost always when its really cold outside. 1 month before the warranty expired, the dealer said they'd take the front end apart and find the errant wire. But when I took it back, the blower was working. I was told someone must have kicked the wiring under the dashboard on the passenger side - I'm not kidding. The technician checked and the contacts were good, so the problem remained a mystery. The motor worked for six months, and then it stopped. Chrysler said it was no longer their problem since the warranty expired. Also, the dealership was sold and the new owners don't even want to talk with me. I want to sell this very costly beast, but I hate to sell it knowing the fan might quit working at any moment. Of course, I hate driving it not knowing whether I'll have heat or not. Typically, driving after a deep snowfall (3.5' or more) or after a high powered car wash triggers several months of no blower. Anyone with a similar problem? Better still - has anyone had this problem and found a solution?
    Well, I ordered a roof mounted tire carrier off of eBay. Got a good deal too. I paid $86 ($100 with shipping). Regular price used to be $157 before they discontinued it. It should arrive on Friday, just in time to install this weekend. :)
    I hate to say it, but you probably should have pushed Jeep a little harder. If you have documentation that it has been a problem all along, you can probably take your dealer to small claims court, and get them to fix it for free. They inherited all of the old owner's customers when they purchased the dealership. For tough electrical problems, Jeep can and will (if you request it) fly in a corporate technician trained in the trouble area. They real problem is that you waited so long to get mean. A 6-7 year old vehicle is hard to get fixed under warranty. Good Luck!
  • kcarter3kcarter3 Member Posts: 16
    When I try to put the gear back into 2 wheel drive it wont go. Someone told me to back up a while and it will pop back into 2 wheel drive. This sounds rediculous, Any thoughts or expalnations or advise?
    Can someone please explain the difference between Part time and Full time 4 wheel drive on my 95 cherokee country? Im new at this 4 wheel stuff.
    I want to tow a Pop up camper and Im wondering if this car is suited to that. And do I need a transmission cooling system as indicated in the manual.?
    part-time is only to be used on slippery surfaces, full-time can be used on any surface. When shifting, sometimes you need to give it gas or release the accelerator before it will shift. Sometimes it takes awhile when going from full-time to part-time or vice versa.

Part-time 4X4 locks the front and rear axles and sends power to each end 50/50.

Full-time employs a center differential and sends power to the front when slippage occurs in the rear. Happens very quickly, but the part-time can be better for certain situations. If your not off-roading or in very severe situations, full-time is more than capable. Driving in either full-time reduces your fuel mileage though, so it's up to you if you just want to leave it in full-time or switch on when needed.
    Thanks for this info, very helpful. What situations do think it would be valuable to use part time?
    The Cherokee should be able to handle towing a pop-up camper without much problem. You may want to consider the transmission cooler if you are going to do it a lot or over large distances. Aftermarket ones are available if the Mopar solution has been discontinued. The Mopar package included a heavy duty radiator and auxiliary fan as well.
    Make sure you are in a forward gear and that the wheels are pointed straight ahead and you have plenty of room to work. Accelerate to about 10mph, then back off the gas. Attempt to put shifter back into 2wd. If it doesn't work, give it a little more gas, then let off again and attempt to shift back to 2wd. Repeat if necessary. If it still won't go, then you will need to have a mechanic look at it. It does take some effort to move the shifter, and, if the 4WD hasn't been used much, it may grind a little when you push on it. Good luck!
    Very deep snow, very deep mud, etc. Driving in normal snowy conditions (plowed roads, some clear roads, etc) full-time is great. You can damage the drivetrain by driving on non-slippery surfaces in part-time.
    I am interested in buying Bridgestone Duelers and wanted to know if using 235 75 R15 is a bad Idea, they are larger than the reccomended size. Whats the advantage vs. disadvantage?
    Thanks for the advise on my 4 wheel drive. I tried what you reccomended and it worked great.

Thanks alot.
  • jimsxnjimsxn Member Posts: 108
    All I want to do is to have the benefit of upright seating, 4-W drive in snow, space for carrying hockey kit, medium towing power (a small boat). I would also "like" to have sharp maneouverability and 5 speed control. I don't want to spend too much time and money in repairs.

You veterans...advise me please.....
    Certain 235 tires (slight variances amoung the manufacturers) will rub under extreme off-roading conditions. Doubtful you'll have any problems with that otherwise. It will throw your speedometer off by about 5% and will slightly zap your power because the gearing is designed for the 225's. Probably only really notice on hills in overdrive. I was going to to to a larger size but it's very hilly here and I'm a power freak. The 235's look a bit better, but the performance difference is neglible IMHO. A skinny tire is better in snow/rain, a wider tire better in mud/sand/ice. But again it's like a 1/2" difference going to 235's. BTW, you can't go any larger than 235's without a lift or they will rub.
    You can probably find a Cherokee that meets your needs. I do have a couple of caveats to mention.

While I find the Cherokee to be above average for SUVs of its time in maneuverability, the steering is slow compared to modern car-based SUVs, so I am not sure "sharp" would be the correct adjective.

If you want to avoid repair costs with a Cherokee, find one with as few electrical options as possible. Mechanically, they will last forever, but they (and other AMC/Chrysler vehicles of the era) tend to have an above average number of gadget problems.

If you plan to tow, look for a Cherokee with the towing package (heavy duty radiator, transmission oil cooler, etc), although it wasn't available every year on the 5-speeds. If you can't find one, you can add most of the components individually. In the later model years, the 5-speed only had a 2000 pound towing capacity. This was due to the strength (or weakness) of the transmission.
    I received the roof mounted tire carrier last night. According to the documentation that came with it, it adds 15" of height to the vehicle. I will confirm that when I get it installed.
    Boggse, I have to differ with what you said, however this is based soley on my personal experience. I have had Cadillacs & Lincolns exclusively since 1986, they have been gadget laden, and I have problems along the way. Not a massive amount, but certainly my share, or a little more. This Jeep of mine, I attempted to "outfit" as though it were a Caddy or Lincoln. It has in excess of 27 options, actually every option that was available in 2001 (final year), plus several dealer installed MOPAR aftermarket options. I have 10,000 miles on it, and it has been driven by 3 different family member-drivers. The only problem we've had with it has been a #3 spark plug that went bad (about as basic a part as you'll find) and at 1 week old, the battery died & proved to be a defective battery. That is the total extent of "trouble" ~ Dual Power Heated Seats, Power Windows & Mirrors & Door Locks, Cruise Control, ABS, Trip Computer, Stereo/Cassette/CD/Infiniti Audio, you name it, it has it + Tranny Fluid Cooler and 27-Piece Black Burl Interior Wood Trim Kit. ZERO problems! Better than 2 Caddies & 3 Lincolns ! The vehicle simply amazes me, daily. I am only sorry that they did not continue it one more year, so I could buy one for myself! The 2001 is shared between my wife & our son.
    What all have you had go bad?
    I personally have had a pretty good experience with my 98 Cherokee Classic. I special ordered mine, and I got every option but the engine block heater and the Up-Country suspension. From 97 on, the electricals are better, but still not top quality. My comments were merely based on my discussions with other Jeep owners. My Jeep has had the following replaced in 53,000 miles:

Power Steering Pump (10,000 miles)
    Brake Rotors (twice - kept warping badly)
    Stereo Head unit (would no longer play CDs)
    Turn Signal switch
    Window regulator (twice)
    Master window controls
    Fog Light switch (I eventually removed the fog lights and got IPF H4 headlight upgrades. The fog lights are prone to getting cracked and broken which allows water to short them out)

Not horrible, but not great either. I love my Cherokee, and refuse to give it up before its time, but owning one can be costly. An extended warranty might be a good idea with the number of options you have.

PS- I wouldn't expect Cadilacs and Lincolns to be any more reliable than a Jeep. Quite the opposite. You definitely made a good choice when you chose the Cherokee.
    Yes, we 3 really love this Jeep! But, you raise a good point. I think I'll look into a MOPAR extended warrantee. Soon! Thanks for the heads-up on that! By the way, I think that they need to improve the quality of their paint. It simply 'feels' thin.
    ....buy a FWD car....lots of cars have 2000 lb tow rating. How about a Subaru wagon?

Sorry if I am asking too many questions.....I am really trying to make up my mind here. Thanks for your replies.
    IMHO, towing with a FWD car is asking for problems. Their transmissions and bodies generally aren't designed for towing. There are exceptions like the Ford Escape and Toyota Highlander. Subaru might have a towing package, but I am not familiar with their options. The suby at least would have the rear wheels to help out when you are pulling your boat out of the water. What the suby doesn't have is 225 ft-lbs of torque which is all important for towing.

Please continue to ask those questions. I myself have made some poor decisions when it comes to buying my wife cars because we didn't investigate what would be the correct car for her well enough.
    Well, I finally got around to measuring my Cherokee with roof mounter tire carrier. The height of my Cherokee stock is 64" (5'4"). The tire carrier adds 12", so that is 76" (6'4"). That is still short enough to get into almost anywhere, so I feel safe with my decision to get the carrier. The cargo area feels like it is much less cramped. I will be able to tell for sure when I take a trip to NY over Thanksgiving.
    Just out of sheer curosity why did you choose to mount it on the roof, rather than getting the Jeep rear tailgate exterior mount and mounting it on the back (like the Liberty has). If you allready stated this, Sorry, I missed it. The roof mount, did it require drilling holes into the roof, as does the rear mount? Thanks.
    I chose the roof for a few reasons:

1. Convenience. I will access the tailgate area much more often than the spare tire. Having to swing the tire mounted on any of the various arm-style carriers every time I need to access the tailgate would have been a royal pain for me. It will be more of a hassle to get it off of the roof if I ever need it, but hopefully that will be rare.

2. Ease of installation: The roof mounted carrier required no modification to the vehicle. It mounts directly on the factory roof rack. All it required was tightening 4 screws and 3 lug nuts.

3. Price: The rear mounted carriers were all considerably more expensive than the roof carrier.

4. Safety: While putting the tire on the roof will raise the center of gravity, it improves visibility by getting the tire out of my line of sight. Mounting it on the rear would simply move it to a different place in my line of sight. Also, if I back into something at low speeds, I am less likely to damage the tailgate if the tire isn't mounted on the rear. As the IIHS low speed tests show with the Liberty and Wrangler, the tire will get pushed into the tailgate upon impact if it is rear mounted.

BTW: Mounting the tire directly on the tailgate would require an upgrade to the struts which support the tailgate. Also, Jeep no longer makes the roof tire carriers, so if anyone wants one, there is a dealer in VA who has some in stock. There number is 276-629-3366.
    Today I added a set of wheel locks. Since my spare tire is now so exposed on my roof, I figured it was a good idea. I had to order a 5th lock since all the Jeep dealer had on hand were sets of 4, so right now one of my wheels is unsecured.
    Thanks! Good explanation. Do you think a tire/wheel cover might be a good idea, entering winter?
    I will probably get one. However, living in NC, summer and UV radiation are more of a concern to me than winter conditions. The key is to find one that fits snulgy, being exposed to all that wind and everything.
  • babsjbabsj Member Posts: 9
    My '99 Limited just turned 40K miles, and aside from normal maintenance the only things I've repaired are:
    window regulator (warranty)
    rear taillight
    front headlight
    thermostat

New tires and front brakes @ 32K, battery @ 36 mos. Just developed a small crack in the driver seat trim, estimate $150 to fix. No big deal.

So, I've been very happy with my Cherokee and plan to keep it for quite awhile! It's holding up well, has been very dependable. Using RXP fuel additive to keep the thing peppy and passing TX emissions tests, gained a little fuel efficiency as well. Can't complain at all about this vehicle!
    One obvious one is non-availability of AWD....How does it affect driving? Is tow-rating also different? Does a 5-spd make it sportier? Thanks.
  • greenxjgreenxj Member Posts: 5
    The AW4 auto tranny is bombproof (toyota manuf.) and has a higher tow rating (5000 lbs) than the 5-spd (~2000 lbs). I've got the 5-spd, but that's b/c I really prefer to do my own shifting. Mileage is better with the manual, and a little peppier, but Cherokee's with the auto are still plenty fun to drive. Plus 5-spd's are few and far between, much easier to find one with the auto.
  • gbrmg4gbrmg4 Member Posts: 6
    I've been reading these posts for a while and finally decided to put my two cents in. I have a 99 Sport, 4.0L, Select-trac with the towing package. Purchased new in 99. I tow a small aluminum boat in the summer and live in Northern Wisconsin, where the full time 4wd gets used in lots of snow driving my son to hockey tournaments. I do have the benefit of a work car so the Cherokee is mostly for trips. I have 56,000 miles on it,still have the original brakes, muffler and tires. The tires will be replaced in about a month and the brakes are getting there also. The only problems so far have been a failed washer motor for the rear window and a window regulator on the front passenger side. Both fixed under warranty. Mechanically it has been bulletproof, averages about 19 mph overall. I would definetly recommend one to anyone who wants a reliable 4wd and isn't that worried about refinement. It's still a straight axle short wheelbase Jeep and the back seat is no place for adults on long trips, but it will keep running and go through anything.
    I got to experience the capabilities of my Cherokee today. NC got hit with wintry mix this afternoon. On my 2.25 hour, 7 mile trip home, I saw several vehicles go off the road, but the Cherokee in 4H Part Time barely slipped except in the worst places.

My wife (5'2") actually likes the back seat on long trips. She can just curl up and go to sleep.

7 miles in 2.25 hours!!! Sounds like Charlotte in snow? LOL!

I left at 5:00 this morning and drove 80 miles of mainly two-lane roads with 6"-8". Took about (2.5 hours) 45 minutes longer than usual but had no problems. Several very steep hills both up and down with ease. Needless to say the roads weren't toched by the plows until about the last 1/2 hour of my trip. Cars were at the bottom of the big hills waiting on the plow. First time to try out my new Michelins in more than a dusting. Michelin LTX-AT's are a HUGE improvement over the stock goodyears. The test for me is pulling out of my driveway in 2wd. The goodyears wouldn't go up the slight incline even in the lightest snow. The Michelins spun a bit but had no problem finding traction. Out on the road they brake much better in the slippery stuff and have yet to hydroplane in the rain.
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    Hello. I'm 15, and looking to buy a Cherokee as my first "car", truck, Jeep, SUV or whatever you want to call it. Please no preaching about a teen in an SUV, since I have been driving a Kia Sportage for almost a year now. I know how they handle...HORRIBLE. I'm looking for a '95 or '96. I don't think I'll have enough money for the '97, since it may be much more expensive. How much are they running?

Question #1. On the previous generation XJ, were there any years that it was available with ABS? If this is true, how do I find out if my future Jeep has it?

Question #2. Is there anything to look out for? Problems? Recalls? Anything out of the ordinary?

Question #3. I live in Michigan (Snow Capital of the U.S.A. IMO). Most likely, my Jeep will be parked on the street. If I can not get out in 2HI, could I engage 4HI or 4LO while at a standstill to get out of the street?

Question #4. What are the 4WD systems available?

Question #5. What was the first year with an Airbag?

Question #6. With the tailgate opened, could something 30" wide fit inside?

Thanks in advance. Why does a teen need an SUV you ask? Cargo space. I could care less about the 4WD in the snow, I could learn to live without it. I like the Cherokee for it's bulletproof reliability, that Inline 6 runs forever, it seems. (I also like the looks of boxes on wheels.) Also, what are some good Jeep sites? I hope to keep this thing on the road as long as possible, through college, and beyond. I'll probably fall in love with it (I already have), and will cry when (If) I let it go.
    Driver Air Bag was on 1996 Cherokee.
    I traced ABS back to 1993, but it was an option, and probably would be hard to find one with them.
  • jsstoverjsstover Member Posts: 40
    Hi Bored. I own a 2001 Cherokee and would like to try to answer some of your questions.
    #1 I am not sure about but looks like sandyboy helped you out there. #2, as far as problems I know of for 01's, I had a recall to install a shield over the #3 exhaust outlet because debris can get lodged in there and potentially cause fire. Other than that, it is a good sign when the majority of the service techs at my dealership drives XJ's. I asked the same questions to them and they said that Jeep had all these years to get it right, that it is now pretty much bullet proof. Its not fancy, but they have the fundamentals right. #3 If there is a chance of snow or threat of a need to have 4x4 engage, just do it when rolling up to park for the night. #4,5,6 your on your own.
    Hope this helps.
    Jason Columbus, Ohio
    I traced #1, and #3 myself. They were in the Edmunds "A Jeep Cherokee History" article. I'll need to find a '95 or a '96. Driver's Airbag came in '95, and ABS came in '89, for all four wheels. Thanks for the 4WD tip, I will have to use that. Didn't know I could park it in 4WD.

I'll be buying when it's time to go back to school for my senior year (Next year, 2003-2004). My counts show that I'll have about maybe $6000 to work with (Hopefully more), save some for insurance, and emergenct money, just in case something goes wrong, or that I need to pay an insurance deductible. I'll try (My hardest, as part of an oath) to stay out of accidents though.

I'm going back to Driver's Training tomorrow, for Segment Two, so I can drive in the car, by myself, without a licensed driver over 21.

Maybe I'll keep in touch with the topic in the future, especially when I recieve my Jeep? I'll probably be in Circuit City or Best Buy buying a CD Player, is that hard to find, or do they all fit?
  • vin_weaselvin_weasel Member Posts: 237
    4. I'm going to try and get this right but someone correct me if there is any wrong info here. I believe the 84-86 XJ came with either a np228 or np229. These were the old transfer cases that provided the same functionality as the newer (87+, I think) np231 and np242 transfer cases. The np231 or Command-trac transfer case provides for operation in 2wd, 4wd high (with a centre differential lock) and 4wd Low (also with a centre differential lock and 2.72:1 gearing). The np242 or Selec-trac case provides one additional mode 4wd Full-Time which is the same as 4wd High (50/50 power split) but with an open centre differential to allow for variation in front/rear driveline speed when turning. The Selec-trac is essentially a basic AWD with the option of locking the centre up (4wd High) to 85km/h. I have Selec-trac and I love it.

6. A 30" tire should fit according to what I've heard. It may be a little tight on the rear seat and you might have to let a few lbs out of the tire but it should fit. I have my fingers crossed here because this summer I plan to do the same thing.

3. You can engage any 4x4 mode from a stop/slowly rolling (just remember to have the transmission in neutral) and you can get 4wd high/4wd Full-time up to 85 km/h "shift on the fly".
    But I meant something 30" wide fitting inside the Cargo Area...basically, will it get through the hole?

I'm NOT talking about tires...I'll do that later...when I start to have that itch for offroading...but you do that everyday on the streets of Detroit!
    IF you can possibly swing it, try to squeeze into a 1997 Cherokee Country. It's the more luxury orientated version, comes with leather, has air bags and many "optional" features as standard equipment. A much HIGHER likelihood of having 4-wheel ABS, too. By next year, they'll be going for what a 1996 is now! 1997 was also the year of the all new dash & higher level interior. They came with dual power seats/leather and a better stereo and many had CDs.
    1. I hate leather.
    2. Although I like the interior, I'm just fine with the '84-'96 one. That interior is just fine, and in fact, I prefer it better. Much more "Jeep".

The only thing I really love about the newer Cherokee, is the smoothed out body. The rest, well, they really didn't do anything. I mean, think about it, the '96 and '97 BOTH have the exact same engine, with NO improvements!

Plus, I'm trying to keep as much money on the side as possible. I don't want to waste my whole savings on some newer model, and then have no money for an emergency. I also need money for my several bumper stickers like: "Have you hugged your Jeep today?" and "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand." and others. I also like the look of Indiglo gauges. Now, I'm out about $70.00+$3.00+$3.00+$139.00= $215. I don't think I'll be able to afford much else.

(Indiglo Gauges, Bumper Stickers 1 & 2, and the CD Player is all I plan to do)

You could stick me in a K-Car, with a CD Player, and I would STILL be happy!

BUT: If I could get into the newer body style, at a reasonable price, I'd do it! Oh yeah, I need a Tach!

I do understand why you want me to do this: Your profile says that you used to be a car salesman. You were trained to make every single penny you could out of a car buyer! I forgive you. Actually, that wouldn't be so much of a bad job while I'm in college.
    The '97+ also has much improved wiring system and an upgraded cooling system. Prior models have been known for electrical gremlins and overheating.
    You amaze me! You indicate that you think I am going to try & make money from you? HOW? I am giving you free professional advice, that you'd gladly pay for from an attorney, dentist or swimming pool installer, and I am giving you the same advice I'd give a good friend. Bottom line is the 1997 is a far better unit than the 1996 or prior. Many advances were made under the skin and it's just simply a higher grade product.
    For my advice, you try to make a veiled insult to me?
    By the way, I attended American University in Washington, D.C. and graduated from Temple University in Phila., Pa. I then got a B.A. in Business & Marketing and attended the Ford Motor Company school of sales & marketing from which I also graduated. I spent 27 years in both new & used car sales and in heavy truck sales and in fleet sales to the utilities companies. I did okay enough to retire at 50. I hope you do as well, as I did in this "Summer Job" ~ You're the expert, go buy what you want. Why bother asking anyone? If you are also as well versed & scholarly in accounting & law I have a question for you regarding a residential corporation.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ... let's not make this personal!

Thanks.

tidester, host