Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X5

Comments

• greenlaterngreenlatern Member Posts: 77
    snow: 17" rims and Dunlop Winter Sport M2s. If the $tealer is asking too much for rims you might try ebay. If you can go with non-BMW rims try tirerack.com for rims & tires. One local reviewer wrote up the X5 as being the "best in snow" during our last major blizzard: http://www.postnewsads.com/budwells/viewarticles.asp?articleID=10- 4

problems: as long as they're covered under warranty get it fixed up where you're satisfied. If these things weren't covered dump it fast.

Advice: if you want to haul 30 gallon drums of mayonaise home from costco this vehicle is the wrong choice.
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    I've had my X5 for 2 years with no problems at all. I'm planning to buy it at the end of the lease in a year.
    My only problem is the silly grin on my face every time I drive...drys out my gums ;-D

Mine's already bought and I won't be in the market again till, oh, 2011 or so but if this were a lease job I might be tempted to explore the new XDrive. And who knows? By then maybe they'll have (gasp!) in-dash CD changer/players.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Get the 18" rims with the all season sport tires...you should be OK then. Do you need the 19" Z rated tires? (I am guessing on the "Z" rating). However I don't think performance will suffer too much in New England Driving on 18" and you will be less likely to get pot-hole related flats. I think you might notice a performance change with 17" or 16" rims...so I would only go that route for part time tires.
  • scbryanscbryan Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone heard of people getting easily car sick sitting in the backseat of the X5. My parents have one and none of them can ride in the back without getting quesy.
  • vo_danhvo_danh Member Posts: 5
    Hello, does anyone knows if the in-dash display for the navigation system can be modified to use for external video display (i.e. DVD in, VCR in)?
    I was thinking of modifying it in such a way that both the navigation video and DVD/VCR video can be
    connected (and switched accordingly). If the answer is yes, how? Thanks.
  • topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    I don't get them any more. They used to rate the X5 as tops in safety etc. and now are down on it.
    My viewpoint of the editors there are that they must be bitter, fault finding people who resent others who can afford things they cannot. They are hyper critical. If a car is really great they find some small nit pick items to harp on and then say that it's too expensive. If it's cheap, they complain that it's not as good as the more expensive vehicles. I've really lost respect for them. Cars in general are so much better than 25 years ago it's unbelievable. It used to be expected that things would go wrong, you just hoped you weren't left stranded. Now if your car is disabled it's a rare occurance. Yet if you read their reviews in general one gets the feeling that the industry has not improved. It's frustrating, especially when you read other mags and see reviews on sites like this one that praise the same cars they trash.
    The people reviewing cars there do not seem to be enthusiasts but are just doing a job they have to. To me that's a bit of a misrepresentation. To review cars I think you should have a passion for them and derive some enjoyment from them. Both are apparently lacking at CR.
    Look at it from their perspective: thanks to the internet and sites like Edmunds CR is losing relevance. And while they may not accept advertising that doesn't mean they don't need to generate sales. No sales, no job. If they were to spit out issue after issue of "another great product, no problems" they'd be history, so they've got to "be creative" when it comes to finding problems. Now I'm not saying they made it up as I wouldn't accuse CR of such an act. Then again, I wouldn't have accused the New York Times either and look what happened with them.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Steered me wrong on a canoe in '73 and I'm still a bit miffed with them. They aren't enthusiasts there - after all, they are rating coffee grinders, washing machines and luggage, as well as cars.

That's not a bad thing - I'm not a car enthusiast either and the car mags tend to focus on stuff that I'm not so interested in (0-60) rather than stuff I do care about (replacement alternator costs). That's how I found Edmunds; I was looking for bang for buck info although Karl in editorial is about the biggest car nut around and is always waxing poetic about muscle cars (guess who did the 2005 Ford GT story!).

CR is another good tool for your quiver but, like Edmunds, it's not the absolute last word. Why anyone would pay $12 for their car reports when all that info is available for free here beats me though.

Steve, Host
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    I wouldn’t say CR is totally bad, I find it entertaining while seating in the bathroom, is an alternative to meditation.
  • dudeinvadudeinva Member Posts: 2
    I have heard there is a 3000.00 dollar rebate on 3.0i. A local dealer is willing to sell the car for 1000.00 dollar profit. this is what the deal looks like.

MSRP 46720
    Selling price 41000 + tax + tags+ 100.00
  • joatmonjoatmon Member Posts: 315
    You outa be buying that thing. Pretty stong price IMHO.

Happy Motoring,

Jack
  • dudeinvadudeinva Member Posts: 2
    I am going to get it this weekend. Thanks
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    It's not just CR that's down on the X-5. Car & Driver in the September 03 edition says: "Mediocre grip on all surfaces. Biased toward dry-weather handling. Slow to launch, slow to recover, slow to hang out it's tail. Just as well, because once it gets rolling, all that mass keeps rolling - long panic stops on ice. Only vehicle here (RX300, ML500, XC90, SRX) to spin 540 degrees during emergency lane change. Only vehicle here to turn left by itself under acceleration. Not a winter wonder.
  • doctdoct Member Posts: 20
    that the new 2004 AWD X-Drive system for the x5 and X3 will dramatically improve winter driving along with problems with understeering
  • topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    It's a bit strange how the X5 has, in some publications, gone from King to pauper so quickly.

Do you remember when CR hailed it as the safest Vehicle they had ever tested?
    I think it was in Automobile Mag. that they recently said it was the best driving SUV of all time and number one on their list. So I don't know what's up with some of these others.
    You know, you take in the data, but at some point you go with your own opinion. I drove them all including the Cay and the X5 was a class ahead in my opinion. That's in ride quality, handling, interior comfort and elegance etc. Is it perfect? Of course not, but coming from an ML 300 which drove nicely (but not nearly as well as the X5)and was very safe, but had way too many repair issues and left me stranded once (thank goodness for the free rode side assist. program!)it's light years ahead.
    The comments from C&D came from a "review" (otherwise known as a paid advertisement) for the new Caddy. Unfortunately the original poster left off a crucial piece of info: the vehicles furnished were equipped with STOCK tires. Everybody who owns one knows that the stock tires STINK in the snow, just read the reviews at tirerack.com.

In C&Ds own long-term test of the X5 (4.4) they remarked that the X5 handled poorly in the snow with stock tires but became "a favorite winter highway cruiser because of its strong engine, reassuring road grip, and comfortable leather-clad seats".

You can find another opinion on the X5s snow performance here http://www.postnewsads.com/budwells/viewarticles.asp?articleID=10- 4

To quote the author: "No, the BMW’s not my favorite sport ute, but, yes, in snowy and icy conditions, I’d take it over almost anything else I’ve driven."
    In the late 80's, I had a business when we had a fleet of vans. We thought a couple of SUVs might be nice in the event we encountered snow in our travels. Well, C&D did a review of 6 SUVs by taking them out in the middle of nowhere for several days. I read with interest and was dismayed to learn the SUV we had out eye on finished 5th out of 6. But on further review, I chuckeled when they said that at night, when they has to go from the wilderness into town for steaks and beers that the drove the 5th place finisher.

The car mags have an ajenda, and it's ever changing. Take them with a grain of salt.
  • vinu_neurovinu_neuro Member Posts: 22
    I have a 2001 3.oi. It seems as if it idles too low at warmup. Even when its 40 degrees outside, when I start in the mornings, it starts at 1200rpm and then falls to 1k-800 after few seconds. It also sounds a lttle harsh. Doesn't seem to have high enough rpm too warm up properly. What do your X5s start off at when warming up?
    Also, can cargo nets be used in X5s?
    How well do golf bags fit in the back on the X5 with the back seats up?
    Anybody know the september lease residuals and money factors?
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    I have a 2002 330. Assuming the engine programming of the X5 is similiar to the 330, mine does the same thing. After about 15 seconds idle drops to below 1K. Not more than a minute after, the idle drops to normal. Doesn't really matter what the temp. is and I've never had it stall or stutter.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Post your question in the Finance board, Lease Questions Ask Here. There's a lot of good information in that forum.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Here it is: Lease Questions - Ask Here which is located on the Finance, Warranty & Insurance boards.

tidester, host
  • leosandleosand Member Posts: 2
    My 2003 X5 3.oi has performed flawlessly.I have 5000 miles.I would appreciate any experience with the reverse parking aid as an aftermarket installation by the dealer. The cost is $680.00. Thank you
    Park Distance Control is great. Have it on wife's 03 with 11k. Only downside: many false alarms so you may start to ignore the warnings. It also works in front, not just rear.

Happy Motoring,

Jack
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,428
    Can anybody explain the difference between BMW's new X Drive AWD system available in the '04 X5 (and X3) as opposed to the DSC-X system that's been in place since the dawn of the X5? Will the 3 series AWD sedans also receive this new X Drive AWD system?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

The old AWD system was fixed at 62% to rear wheels, 38% to front wheels. This rear wheel bias helped to maintain the BMW rear wheel drive feel.

The new system (xDrive) is basically infinite in its front/rear split. I'm not sure, but I think its 100% to the rear until front traction is needed. BMW has been saying that X Drive beats other systems because it 1) reacts very quickly, and 2) is predictive in nature.

Some Stuff from BMW follows:

"In order to make the most of the new powertrain updates, BMW’s newest all-wheel drive system helps to ensure optimum performance in all driving situations. The xDrive intelligent all-wheel-drive system is a completely new design, and it sets new standards among all-wheel drive vehicles for road holding and agility. The xDrive system performs stepless and variable distribution of drive forces between the front and rear wheels at an unprecedented speed.

xDrive reacts faster than other systems because it is able to think further in advance. It not only makes use of the information obtained from the wheel sensors, which signal when any of the wheels are spinning, but also data collected from Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) system sensors. Yaw rate, the information regarding rotational movement of the vehicle itself, and the steering wheel position both supply important data concerning the current situation. This enables xDrive to distribute drive power ideally and at any given moment between the front and rear wheels, for instance during cornering, thereby significantly minimizing under- or oversteer.

In addition to the clear increase in agility and driving enjoyment, xDrive also provides great safety benefits. As a result of its fast reaction time, the new system provides greatly improved road holding characteristics. Whether the driving surface is rough or smooth, it only takes a few milliseconds once friction is lost between the wheel and the road surface for the drive forces to be redistributed to the wheels that still have traction. The electronically controlled multi-disk clutch loses no time and reacts immediately. Thanks to xDrive, starting off on a slippery iced surface or climbing steep uphill slopes proves to be a simple exercise for the new X5."

I thing the old system worked very well. This allows BMW to have only 1 AWD system. I think this is a key motivation.

Jack
    Thanks for the info! I'm sure it will make their AWD 3ers perform better as well.

I'd like to get some clarification on how the power is distributed under normal conditions (100% to the rears would be optimal as you said).

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

The nominal (normal) power distribution for xDrive is 65% rear and 35% front.

Jack
    Why is there such a big lag in the Throttle. It is especially noticeable from a standstill. Can anything be done about it?
    Tell us more, year, engine, transmission. This doesn't seem to be common. Wife's '03 3.0 w/ Step. has a very touchy throttle. I seem to "step out" a little quicker than desired the first 10 minutes of driving. My car is a 530i w/ 5 speed, so you would think they're the same, but the X5 is definitely more "touchy". But, no lag.
    The car is a 2001 X5 3.0i, its an automatic. I really notice the lag from a standstill. I push the pedal down, and then have to wait a good half-.75 second for the engine to respond. If i don't push it gradually from a standstill, it lurches forward because the pedal was presssed farther and the car hadn't reacted yet. It seems to be better in Sport mode, but I might be wrong.
    I've heard that the delay from pressing the throttle to actual engine response is .83 seconds on '01s and '02s. Our '03 doesn't seem to be this long. I'd ask your BMW "center" if there is a software upgrade.

Good luck,

Jack
  • bmwboy777bmwboy777 Member Posts: 3
    I currently lease an '01 X5 and want to buy when the lease ends in a couple of months.

Has anyone been able to get a discount to the residual when buying an X5?
  • bmwsellerbmwseller Member Posts: 200
    I know that on a dealer level depending on the model and market value at times we are able to buy a clients lease turn-in for less than the residual but not often. Wholesale prices on the X5 are very strong right now and I would guess that your buyout is probably firm. I could give you an opinion if you tell me the amount and about the X5 (miles, equipment, etc...)
    Just a general inquiry, what is BMWFS setting the '04 X5 3.0iA residual at this month? Assuming a 36 or 39 Month lease and 20K miles per year. Thanks.

BTW...you're posts on the different boards have been educating. Don't let your buddy get to you. He's just a car nut like the rest of us:)

standard program through BMW Financial (might not necessarily be the best) is 55% at 36 mo.
  • bmwboy777bmwboy777 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the heads up, and here's the details on my X5:

2001 model
    Options: Cold weather package (heated seats, ski sak and headlight washers)
    36,000 miles
    Good condition, nothing besides a few normal scratches.
    Blue exterior w/ tan leather interior.
    Residual: $33,500

Thanks for your help.
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,278
    On the bmw website, what in the world is "owners choice" financing? I assume it's a loan with a balloon payment.

thanks,
    mark
    Owners Choice is a balloon note but it has a walk-away option. It's really like a lease, but the vehicle is solely in the owners name and, at least in my state, you can not be double taxed if you elect to purchase the vehicle at the end of the term. I'd recommend the owner's choice over the traditional lease in most instances.

BMWBOY....that's a fair price if you really like it. Wholesale on that rig ranges between 30 and 32. Dealers probably retail those for mid 30's.
    You might be able to keep your payment the same and get a brand new one, though.
  • prf3prf3 Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone who owns or drives a 4.6 offer an opinion on how the car drives and if it is worth the premium payment? Has there been problems with the 4.6? Is 2003 a poor time to buy one since it is being discontinued in 2004. I am debating on buying a used 2003 4.6 with 7,500 miles for $60K or buying a 2004 new 4.4. Any suggestions?
    take the 4.6............the stance, the speed, the exclusivity, the wheels, ....yes, 4.6
  • prf3prf3 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the comments on the 4.6. Has there been any problems with the 4.6 that I should know about? Any tips on what to look for when inspecting the vehicle? Is $60K in California a good price for what looks to be a near perfect 2003 with 7,500 miles and all options installed?
    What's a good # above invoice to shoot for on an X5 3.0iA? Or maybe a better question is, what are you getting on average? What is the wait to order an X5 as opposed to buying off the lot? Do you order a lot of X5s or sell the ones off the lot?

• drseuss1drseuss1 Member Posts: 4
    I have a X5 4.4. It has Michelin 255/55 R18 MXV4 tires all around. I now have a tack in one of them and it looks a little low on air.

Question:

(1) I noticed that the spare is a 235/65 R17. Does this sound right? Will this damage my car if I drive on it.

(2) Should I try to plug the tire or go ahead an pay for a replacement?

Thanks everyone. I've enjoyed reading this forum.

RSC
    Well, I sold our first 2004 X5 4.4 on saturday. 2 trade-ins 2000 escalade, perfect, 2000 Audi S4, phenomenal.

PRF3 60 in california sounds OK but I'm not all into the california market. I can tell you this for sure. There are brand new ones that can be had for high 60's. 03's with full maintenance. That gives you something to compare it to.

NYCCARGUY Average net dealer gross profit on a vehicle like that will tend to be pretty high, I'm happy to say. I'd also say that a dealer can be real flexible if they choose to be. Order one now and you probably get your rig at the beginning of Dec. Probably about 50-50 on the order/instock delivery ratio.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    1. the 235/65R17 technically is about the same. The radius on each tire is Width*ratio+Diameter/2...or 235mm*0.65+8.5in. and 255mm*0.55+9in or about 14.5" each (including appropriate conversions).

2. A plug should be good as new. They use material which will bond with the rubber in your tire. Just get it plugged. If you pull the tack, mark the sidewall where it was with chalk to make it easier to pinpoint.
  • drseuss1drseuss1 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks. There must be a reason they put a 17" tire as the spare and 18" all around -- perhaps it fits better in the wheel well? I called the dealer with the same question and they didn't know what I was talking about.

I mentioned that I have a tack in my tire. Checking the pressure again, I found that it is within a hair of the other tires. So, I may not have a leak like I mentioned. I'll pull the tack in the morning with my Leatherman.

Again, great tip about marking the sidewall, I was already thinking about what I had around the house to mark the tire with.

RSC