Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X5

Comments

• skhoslaskhosla Member Posts: 22
    Is this a good price for a 2004 4.4?

-sk
  • airplaneguyairplaneguy Member Posts: 5
    I currently drive a 2004 X5 3.0 W/O Sport Package.
    The vehicle has priemium package,rear climate package,and auto transmission.

How do you set up the radio to automatically lower the volume when coming up to a stop light etc... Does this only work with the CD? Does anywone know how to make this work, or is this only with the upgraded stereo?

Thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check over in BMW X5: Prices Paid & Buying Experience too.

Steve, Host
  • cadrvrcadrvr Member Posts: 9
    Anyone know anything about the new '05s? I'm thinking of ordering an X5 but would like to know what changes there will be with the '05 model. I wish I could get the satellite radio and multi CD player. Any info would be great. Also, is it true that if I go with the 3.0, I cannot get the comfort seats? Thanks for any info!
    I have a link for that too, but there's not too many people talking about the X5 over there:

BMW Owners: Future Models

Steve, Host
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Unfortunately it sounds like your X5 had some damage and the first dealer did not want to deal with it. I think the dealers who check out the vehicle have some latitude as to what they will report and not, so the dealers might have been reporting different items.

The week before I was to turn in a Japanese manufacturered minivan I got hit by a shopping car. I was charged $400 to repair the scratch so I feel your pain.
  • bmwpairbmwpair Member Posts: 8
    Just got a 2004 X5 4.4 with panoramic roof and dealer-installed satellite radio. Love both features! Multi CD player still located in trunk.
  • toneseventoneseven Member Posts: 1
    Anyone having recurring problems with Nav System? I have an 03 X5. My system locks up and displays the message, "Please wait a moment" for days at a time. Any ideas?
  • umikeumike Member Posts: 9
    ok. i am convinced after several test drives and comparisons to the vw treg that the x5 is the one! however, i am still concerned about the cargo room. the extent of my "hauling" will be suitcases (to grandma's), strollers, groceries etc.

can anyone shed any light pro or con as to their experiences with the rear cargo space??
  • umikeumike Member Posts: 9
    one more thing, has anyone had any experience in putting a dvd player in their X5. should i go overhead or in the headrests?

thanks
  • bankeizenbankeizen Member Posts: 46
    I had same concerns but after three months of owning the X5 find no problems. Especially like split opening of rear hatch; makes it very convenient.

BTW T'reg is a reliability diaster area.
  • bmwpairbmwpair Member Posts: 8
    I had the same concern about cargo space in the X5. I have now had the 4.4 X5 for about a month, and have had plenty of space for 3 suitcases to grandma's or a large haul of groceries from Costco. I have previously owned a Lexus RX 300 and an LX 470. While these cars are perhaps a little more luxurious and permit a smoother ride, I found these cars quite uninspiring to drive. The X5's handling has put the fun back in driving an SUV. I highly recommend this vehicle!
  • ft1ft1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 4.4 1400 Miles on it, i was driving in traffic when the car died. I also had the engine oil pressure warning come on earlier that week. I was told by the dealer that they have heard there will be a recall because of faulty oil sending units, but no information on why it died. This is my second X5, the first was a 2000, it was mechanically sound but had a lot of other glitches. Anyone heard anything else? i would appreciate the info.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    My Dad transports 2 Great Danes back and forth to work with him in the X5 on a daily basis. Cargo room isn't a problem.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• accordfreakaccordfreak Member Posts: 39
    Any one know when the redesign for the X5 will be? If they're going to just make an X7 to offer the 3rd row seats, or if there's going to be an X5L to address the 3rd row option? I'm not finding much info on the topic elsewhere. I can wait till next spring to buy, but don't want to put it of much more than that. I really like the X5; I just have to have the option to cary 6 (2 adults /4 kids + dog)
  • fjoycefjoyce Member Posts: 4
    Any recommendations for dealers in morris/bergen/passaic counties? Focused on strong service dept. Thanks.
  • mcraigmcraig Member Posts: 2
    I am currently in the market for an X5 but have newfound concerns based on a recent report of unprovoked airbag deployment. Has anyone heard of any cases of this occuring other than the recent incident in Miami or is this yet another example of media sensationalism? One of the main reasons I was drawn to the X5 was it's excellent safety ratings. Sure would hate to believe the company has actually encouraged owners to keep quiet about faulty airbags with confidentiality agreements upon repair. Any owner's out there had this happen to their vehicle?
    That's news to me. You can search the consumer complaints part of the NHTSA and see if any reports are there. (link)

Here's the airbag story. (CarolinaChannel)

There's one post in here about an faulty air bag connection:

time430 Jan 10, 2001 4:17pm

and this one over in the Problems discussion:

ctk1 "BMW X5 Problems & Solutions" Mar 7, 2001 8:19am

Steve, Host
  • mcraigmcraig Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the information. Other than a post in your "Problems and Solutions" forum (also on a 2001 model year X5) I have yet to find any more complaints. Hopefully BMW will expand on their position that "they're not aware of any problems". Sure would like to hear them definitively say there is no problem! Thanks again.
  • irwinirwin Member Posts: 1
    I'm ready to buy an X5 and I really want a Nav System. When I looked carefully on my test drive I discovered that the Nav has a cassette player behind it and there is no CD player in the vehicle. So, I say that's OK I can live without a CD, I'll get the Ipod installed. But, no Ipod with the Nav system. I can't believe that BMW is so far behind the other manufacturers on this one. It looks like the X5 is the only model that has this deficiency. I'll wait for the 2005 to see if they make a change. Anybody know anything about this?
  • wantanx5wantanx5 Member Posts: 3
    I have decided to purchase a 2004 X5 3.0i with Prem Pkg, Navi, Rear Climate Pkg, Step trans, and Xenon. Located in southern California. MSRP is 50,070. First offer out of the box, no haggling, from dealer was $48,105. Good deal? Also was quoted approx $600 for monthly lease payment, including taxes. Can someone give me some color on this pricing?

Also, saw national campaign for lease program. Apparently 2004 X5 3.0i, step trans only (i.e., base model) with MSRP of $42,770 and lease payment, excluding taxes, of $449. Same program offers 2004 X5 4.4i, 19" wheels, Cold Weather Pkg and Sport Pkg with MSRP of $56,095 and lease payment ,excluding taxes of $618. Is there a dealer in southern California that is running these offers? Finally, does anyone know why the car that I am looking for in the paragraph above and a MSRP between the two prices in the national campagin leases for roughly the same monthly amount as a $56,095 car?
  • accordfreakaccordfreak Member Posts: 39
    I'm trying to decide if I should take advantage of the left overs. Any one have ideas about what's new in the '05 MY?
  • autoxerautoxer Member Posts: 2
    I am considering putting on the OEM areodynamic kit for an 2005 X5. The individual items are grill guard, running boards, rear skirts, fender flares, door accents. But the parts alone are about $3000 at the dealer, and I don't know how much painting and labor will be.

Anyone has any experience with the installation and price? Any other aftermarket sources for stuff like this other than the dealer? Seems to be very expensive.

Thanks.
  • macdaddymacdaddy Member Posts: 1
    3 YEAR lEASING FOR BUSINESS - WHERE DO I FIND ANNUAL RESIDUAL VALUES LIST FOR MODELS AND OPTIONS. DON'T WANT PURCHASE OPTION SO WANT HIGHEST RV NEGOTIABLE TO CALC LEASE PAYMENTS.
    Try the Lease Questions - Ask Here discussion.

But turn off the ALL CAPS first - no one will want to help if you shout at them :-)

Steve, Host
    "Although the X5's basic styling is going on 6 years old, minor tweaks this year, including larger grilles and 3 Series-inspired headlights, keep it contemporary. Nearly everyone dug the X5, with one editor calling it the "best-looking of the bunch" while another stated that it's still "a sharp-looking SUV even after several years on the market."

2004 Midsize Luxury V8 SUVs Comparison Test

Steve, Host
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    We're looking at used X5s and the prices amaze me. I think that we all can agree that after some pushing and shoving 48K would get you into a brand new, never driven '05 X5 3.0. (With no pushing and shoving 44K would have gotten me into an '04 Demo X5 six weeks ago.) For a certified '02 X5 3.0 the dealer asking prices (i.e., the opening offer on the table) is around 38K!. (See the Certified section on Bmwusa.com). My mother didn't raise any fools back on Block Island, so I think that giving up three model years ('05 to '02) and say 40K miles is worth far more than a 10K price reduction. But the market doesn't agree. At least the asking prices for the certifieds are so high. Through other research I have learned that the certification process costs the dealer $1200 PLUS whatever repairs were made. If you check the Edmunds pricing the prices are about 4-5K lower for presumably non-certified cars. That leads me to believe that the dealers are doubling or better their costs in their certified program.

Several questions: I wonder how flexible are the dealers on these prices? How much is the certification really worth? Specifically, how much is a Certified '02 with 30K miles and an asking of 38K really worth? I wonder how far apart are the final transactional prices on certifieds vs. non certifieds? While we compare prices, in all fairness I should add that BMW will now (in November) make the first month's payment for all '01 and '02 Certified X5s and they have low interest rates. I figure that the first month's payment means about $650 to the average person.
  • bmwcccbmwccc Member Posts: 234
    Hey folks,I have a few quick questions on the future X5. Does anyone know if the 2006 model is getting the new engine the 3 series is getting next year. In addition, are there any plans to drastically change the look of the vehicle or just minor modifications for the 2006 or 2007 year?

Thanks
  • mcs19mcs19 Member Posts: 14
    My understanding is that the 2 engines offered in the 2006 3 series will replace the 2.5 and 3.0 engines in all the models carrying them (including the 5 series, X3 and X5). A redesign is set for 2007 which is rather drastic carrying with it the newer lines seen in 5 series and soon to be introduced 3 series in an SUV shell. There are some pictures out there on the internet of it.
  • phauolphauol Member Posts: 24
    Would like to ask for recommendation about choice of tire change other than OEM. How much you have driven before you change your 1st set. My 2003 X5 3.0 sports pkg has been 30000 and is considering changing due to concern of hydroplane.

Thx, Paul
  • cks1cks1 Member Posts: 3
    I am in the process of getting a new X5 3.0. Does anyone has experience/trouble with the new vehicles?

Any tips will be welcome
    My Dad leased an '04 X5 3.0iA in Feb '04. he currently has almost 21,000 miles on it and not one single issue or problem to report. His first visit to the dealer was for an oil change at 17,000 miles.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• cks1cks1 Member Posts: 3
    After few days of giving the deposit, I went to pick up the SAV from the dealer. I found that the ABS light was on. Didnt take delivery. Dealer says that it needs part replacement and said will replace it next week before delivering. I am not sure if this is an indication of a bad vehicle; and hence not sure whether to go for it or not.

Did anyone else had similar experience? Any 'advice' from experts will help me make the decision.
  • m4d_cowm4d_cow Member Posts: 1,491
    im considering an 05 X5 3.0, black on beige, premium, auto, xenon, coldweather. how much over invoice am i looking forward to pay for?

its my 1st time buying an suv, so comments would be really appreciated. thanks
    one more thing, is the pastel green interior available for USspec x5?
  • awhitex5awhitex5 Member Posts: 1
    I am new to the forum and looking for an answer to your question regarding trailer hitch/towing capacity. I would like to tow a 3500# travel trailer. Did anyone respond with meaningful information. Thanks...
  • x5mikex5mike Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 3.0 liter with a class III hitch. I Emailed BMW via the owners circle with my car x-5 specs and got the towing information in a few days. 3500 lbs for my 3.0 liter? hope that helps. I have only pulled a large U-Haul trailer and did ok on the interstate for about 400 miles--I did have some problems with swaying over 65-70 MPH. The gas millage dropped to about 10 mpg.
  • kypreosx5kypreosx5 Member Posts: 14
    I have a 06/2005 3.0 litre X5. It tend sto slightly pull to the left (australian specs)The dealer tell me this is normal, it not m like my other bemers which have the most glorious steering ever, any comments from any one?
  • ctmctm Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I have the exact question that you just stated. I cannot believe how close the certified prices are to the new 05 prices. I have been quoted 44.9 for a 05 3.0 with prem and HID's. The certified 04's with 16k are being priced at 44.9. I would like to know how much I can anticipate getting off this sticker price. Have you haggled on at certified?
    thats not normal, the x5s i test drove was perfectly fine, you might wanna file a complaint and have it checked at the dealership
  • founderfounder Member Posts: 48
    My advice to you is to pick another vehicle. This may be a sign of an electrical problem. Then again it could be just this small problem, but in my opinion I would just go for another vehicle altogether. BMW's are reliable products for the most part, but I know two people who bought the new 740 and they've had a host of problems. One of my friends got the problem fixed, and the other had issue after issue and got another 740, and it's been problem free.
  • vinbahvinbah Member Posts: 1
    hi,

i am getting a 2005 x5, without a 6 cd changer. i have a friend who has a bmw cd changer part #
    82 11 1 469 404.

i wanted to know if its compatible with my new x5. i have opted for navigation system in my new x5 but not for premium sound system. any help would be appreciated.
  • mattlrulzmattlrulz Member Posts: 6
    I have a new x5 3.0. When driving on the highway the vehicle veers left. If i let go of the wheel the car will go onto the shoulder. How many other people are experiencing this issue?
    How new is brand new? a week? Have you checked your tire pressure? It could be WAY off from being on a truck and dealers often neglect to inflate properly. An imbalance of tire pressure could be the cause.

• ddeliseddelise Member Posts: 353
    All -

My mother-in-law has a 2001 X5 3.0 (I think) that is about 2 months from being out of warranty.

Is it possible to purchase an extended warranty at this point from BMW (not a third party one)?

If so, any suggestions on price?

Thanks - Damon
  • vsaksenavsaksena Member Posts: 2
    Hi all...
    new here to the forum, been reading a lot though for the last week or so.
    I am looking for a 2002 X5 4.4i CPO. something with around 45k miles on the odometer.
    What should I look for when I go check one out at the dealerships? for those who have a similar vintage, how do you feel about it 3 years down the road?
    Could you also recommend a dealership in the NE? I am in NH, so anything within a 100 mile radius...
    Also I was talking to a client service advisor at one of the dealerships out here mentioned that the 2001 and older came with free maintenance/scheduled service till only 3 yrs/36K miles, I was under the assumption that the factory warranty has always been 4 yrs/50K miles. Is free maintenance not included in the standard factory warranty.
    Please feel free to email me at vsaks1@hotmail.com
    Welcome to Edmunds. If you put your email in a public forum like outs, the spammers will see it here and on Google they'll definitely feel free to email you.

If you mark your email public in your Profile, you'll avoid most of the spambots and email viruses and people can still reach you. Even better, just chat on the boards and everyone can benefit.

Steve, Host
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome to the forums!

Please feel free to email me at ...

Please keep the discussion here so everyone benefits. To do otherwise defeats the purpose of a message board which is to share information, views and experiences.

tidester, host