Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X5

Comments

• vsaksenavsaksena Member Posts: 2
    Steve & Tidester & forum members
    I apologise, did not mean to keep information to myself, just wanted to get all information in my mailbox for reference, I will make my email public in my profile as suggested by Steve.

I appreciate any advice/information I will get from the form members

Regards

Vikas
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ... just wanted to get all information in my mailbox for reference ...

Here's a tip: You can easily copy and paste web content into a text editor or word processor document for later local reference.

tidester, host
  • tcn2ktcn2k Member Posts: 277
    Does anyone know if the 2006 X5 will get the new engine that is being used in the new 2006 3 series? 3.0i is now displacing 255 horses, so i was wondering if it's a worthy wait.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I think the newer, more powerful engines would be a good thing in the X5.

-Paul
  • m4d_cowm4d_cow Member Posts: 1,491
    currently looking for an suv, considering either x5 or cayenne, but im wondering if the complaints about x5's reliability are true

1)and some non-reliabuility issues:
    heavy steering at low speeds
    rear liftgate is hard to close
    rear seats are too flat
    a lot of brake dust from std brake pads

can anyone confirm this?

2) Im also wondering is there any difference between the std suspension and sport suspension, is the sport suspension shorter?? how hard is the ride compared to std ones?

3)one more thing, many people said the ride grows tiresome in v8 models during long trips, is it true?? id like to have the v8 but ill be doing a lot of long rides in it, so im kinda concerned about it...

any comments appreciated, thanks.
  • gnailuhgnailuh Member Posts: 13
    Cayennes look soooo ugly... X5 is the best looking suv around, IMHO.

1)
    heavy steering, yes, that's just bmw.
    rear gate is electronic on 05s, very easy to close on its own.
    rear seat is adjustable.
    lots of break dust, yes, that's just bmw, soft pads.

2)
    yes, sport is little lower and stiffer. my 3 series has sport, great on sedans. my x5 (on order) does not. how hard? hard enough to make the car handle like a champ... but not good for a baby in the back seat.

3)
    how could a 6 or 8 cylinder make ride tired? well... I6 is said to be smoooth, v8 not as stable a config as I6... maybe that. but i really doubt you can feel a difference on a long ride. maybe suspension, doubt engine size.
  • wuebbelingwuebbeling Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for some information on modifications (horsepower) for my 2003 4.6 X5. Any suggestions?
    thnks for the info, i heard the rear seats lacks support both on the cushion and the back, any comments???
    dont have any kids, so im considering 19" wheels for the looks :)

i considered 5 models at first, the x5, cayenne, touareg, rx330, and infiniti fx

i took infiniti off the list though, i tested the fx35 w/ 18" wheels, and i think its overly stiff ride (stiffer than x5 w/ SP imo) wont do any good during long trips

i like touaregs cabin, but theres a response lag (both in steering and pedals) everytime i drive it (v8 model). and the seats arent as comfy as bmws imo. so i might cross it off my list as well

the thing i like the most about the rx is its multipanel sunroof, being inside the cabin feels really nice, but i found it to be a horrible handler w/ lots of body lean. i havent checked the x5's new panorama sunroof, hope its as good as rx's multipanel sunroof.

i havent test driven the cayenne, id really appreciate any comments from those who have
  • gnailuhgnailuh Member Posts: 13
    i drove all the ones you drove, except the cayenne. rx is soooo mushy and interior with the silver plastic is so nasty. i'm sure cayenne can hang with the x5 in terms of handling and speed, but it's just so damn ugly... for the amount of money you'll spend, it better look good.

the new x5 sunroof is great. took it from the x3's idea. i'm told it's quite too... i got another 5 weeks until mine's here.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    As far as X5 reliability goes, you'll be looking at a German car that is well towards the end of it's life cycle. All of the bugs have been worked out. My dad has an '04 3.0iA X5 with SP. The Sport Seats are great, the suspension is compliant even with the Sport Calibration. Reliability? He's had the truck since February '04 and has over 25,000 miles on it. He's been back to the dealership exactly ONCE for an oil change at 17,000 miles.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• bcb1bcb1 Member Posts: 149
    We are considering replacing my wife's current vehicle with either a '98 to '00 Toyota Land Cruiser, or a '00 or '01 BMW X5. Apples to oranges comparison, I realize.

I'm leaning a bit towards the LC because it's larger, and I've heard nothing but good comments. However, I must admit we're both drawn to the BMW for its good looks - and it would probably be a heck of a lot more fun to drive than the Land Cruiser!

After reading through this forum; I'm getting a bit concerned on potential reliability of the 00 and 01 BMW X5's. Any advice/recommendations on those model years would be appreciated.
  • dockydocky Member Posts: 11
    my 01 X5 4.4 has had only one serious issue, the left front stabilizer bar had to be replaced after it turned 40K. other than that, the recurrent problem with my trunk handle and assembly (including lic plate light) has been annoying. CPO warranty didn't cover it either, but since I've had to replace it 3 times, the dealer pays for it now. also it seems to have a hard time with seat memory, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and I have to reset the settings frequently.

runs fantastic, though, especially when I took off the 19" Y-spokes and replaced with 18" star spokes -- got stuck once with the low profiles, and bought the new set immediately from bmwwheels.com. just a much smoother ride too with the 18" wheels and new Michelins.
  • bcb1bcb1 Member Posts: 149
    I appreciate your comments on your '01 X5. Any others are welcome too!

We currently have been spoiled by our current vehicles that we bought brand new ('98 Intrepid and '00 Yukon) that have been 100% reliable and trouble-free. Her Intrepid is the one we're replacing. I have 100K miles on my '00 Yukon, and it still looks and runs like it's brand new - I just can't bring myself to part with it! I really don't like the GMC dealer service at all (I think they're crooks) - but the vehicle is no doubt the best one I have ever owned, period.

It will be interesting, no matter whether we buy the BMW or the Land Cruiser; to experience owning a foreign car. The BMW sure is tempting - no doubt it's a lot more "sport" and a lot less "utility" than the Land Cruiser - but driving it to the ski slopes would be a lot more fun.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    before you buy a used X5, make sure you do a carfax check on the vehicle, then get the VIN number and have a dealer run it through the computer to see if it was in for service a lot or just for maintenance, finally have a BMW mechanic (from an independent shop) take a look at the car up on a lift and drive it (this might be the best $100 or so you spend.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

has anyone driven the cayenne S here? im looking for comments about their driving impressions so far.

gnailuh:
    the silver plastic in rx's cabin does look kinda nasty, if not downright cheap, at 1st glance i thought it was aluminum or something like it, turned out theyre just plastics.
    as for the cayenne, looks are subjective, true it doesnt look handsome but i still find it rather cool (compared to the feminine, of not completely bland rx330/toyota harrier). i havent test driven one, but i did sit in it once, the interior looks cheap, even wood cost extra (what the...?), makes me wonder how can a car like this cost more than an x5.

I find bmw's cabin the best so far. the leather is really smooth, comparable to lexus' and the rest of the materials are great. imo touareg's cabin has the best materials, but it looks too complicated w/ a million buttons on the dashboard :)

i also noticed you ordered your car, how much over invoice did you have to pay for it? (im also considering ordering one)

nyccarguy: im still wondering if the SP is still comfy enough for long trips though, any comments?
    i also like the way 19" y spoke wheels look, but it might turn the ride overly harsh.
  • tlmmhowelltlmmhowell Member Posts: 48
    Has anyone put XM Sat radio in an older X-5 using the Commander unit? Any guidance would be great. Thanks.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    XM in a BMW, but it was a 3 Series. I also used the Alpine adapter that can used for a CD changer as well. The external face was mounted in the ash tray.

Check out http://community.webshots.com/user/skimblz_ for install pics. Installation in an X5 would be similar I think.. Doable.

-Paul
  • homeounerhomeouner Member Posts: 145
    homeouner: My son just purchased a X5 W/ V8. & 62000 mls. The label under the hood reads use BMW synthetic oil. Must one use this kind of oil & what is the change frequency?
  • kypreosx5kypreosx5 Member Posts: 14
    regarding the X5 sunroof, I have the June 05 new panoramic sunroof-its magic.

Also the best other thing I ever ordered where the parking sensors-highly recomended,
    just watch out that the red dashbord display during very sunny days is ultra hard to see due to the very raked front windscreen, I wish the display was brighter or another color but -so be it!!!!!. My car still pull slightly to the left, Im having it looked at again on the 14th April, Will post results.
    Yes, you must use synthetic oil. The change frequency will be indicated on the lcd when you first start you vehicle, it illuminates the remaining miles before the next service or oil change. Average is about 15k miles before every oil change.
  • nubian02nubian02 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a CPO '01 X5 3.0 in Jan of 2004. It was an "upgrade" to a larger vehicle from a 2002 3series.

The only issues I have have had have been completely self inflicted. Lets just say It took me a while to get used to backing it into my garage...

But the service is unparalleled - both on the car, and for me as a customer!

The gas mileage (hgwy) is great! I drove from cincinnati to buffalo, ny (about 400+ miles) on one tank of gas. This is key - since gas here is inching towards $3/gallon!!

The sunroof, heated seats, etc - all work great. And I have 52K on my car now.

I'd be willing to answer any specific questions that you may have!
  • greenlaterngreenlatern Member Posts: 77
    If you put very few miles on the vehicle BMW recommends a yearly oil change. It takes me almost 3 years to put 15K on my X5; that'd be a long time between changes! I'm currenty at 25K on with my 01 3.0 and it's been a fabulous vehicle with few problems. Recalls aren't problems -- they're an opportunity to drive other BMW models (loaners). Anyway I haven't had a recall situation in years.
  • kobayashikobayashi Member Posts: 50
    green,

Noticed you mentioned that recalls are an opportunity to get a BMW loaner.

I don't know where you are located, but no BMW dealers in my large metro area offer BMW loaners. Although some did years ago, they have almost all subcontracted to a rental car dealer given office space at the dealership. I believe it had somewhat to do with insurance. Although the rental offered free is standard class while in for service, an upgraded car costs a few dollars more a day.
  • besmirchifiedbesmirchified Member Posts: 1
    I have heard that the first few years the X5 was riddled with problems. I am considerning buying a 2002 X5 4.6is. Do I still need to be worried about reliability in the 2002 model year or have the kinks been worked out. Also, I seem to recall for a few years they did not make a 4.6, when was that? Finally, would there be an advantage to buying a post-hiatus X5 with big V8 (4.6, 4.8?) engine other that the obvious lower mileage? Thanks
    Hello all posters. I am going to change the oil on the X5 W/ 4.4 engine. I will use BMW synth. oil. The filter is in the best location as any car i have ever owned. The drain plug is located just above the opening in the stiffener plate bolted under the engine, W/ a very thin headed hex. Is this the right one? How does one reset the oil life indicator bar graph. Does any one have any additional suggestions. Thanks.
  • x5x5x5x5x5x5 Member Posts: 9
    Hello,

I have a 2001 BMW X 5.

I would like to buy a used CD changer off of eBay. There are many to choose from and I was wondering which one would work with the DSP feature. I also understand you need an extra cable to get the DSP feature to work properly.

Would it be hard to upgrade the navigation system to a MK IV?

Please let me know,

Thank you,

J.T.
  • sirmansirman Member Posts: 10
    Drove the Cayanne S a week or so ago. It was great to drive. Very responsive, tight suspension and good handling but not uncomfortable. The one I drove had all-season tires - not the standard performance tires. I really liked the tiptronic gearing on the steering wheel. I was amazed at the speed at which the gears changed upon request. I also drove the Touareg V8 on the same day. There is a little less power but I am not sure that I would notice it other than driving one right after the other. Personally I like the interior styling of the Touareg more, but there is a difference in the suspension and the performance of the transmission.
  • sirmansirman Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone know if BMW will put in their new 3 liter engine (255 HP) into the X5 any time soon?
    I am wondering the same question, i posted this on 3 series board as well and someone there said they will. If anyone one knows for sure and knows when we can order an 06, that would be great.
    Re md4_ cow In regards to oil change, our X5 has two marks remaining on the oil change lcd. The check engine lite is lit, is this because the oil indicator bar graph is getting to the oil change time? & how do you reset the oil change indicator?
    Try this:

To reset the indicator:
    -The car should be off
    -hold down the left instrument button (the trip odometer reset)
    -while holding the key, turn the ignition to position 1 (radio)
    -you will see a test menu
    -keep holding the button
    -after maybe 10 seconds, the word "reset" will appear
    -let go of the button and press again
    -The indicator is reset!
    as far as i know the new 3.0 will be available in next yr's X5 ( a complete redesign )
  • x5ukx5uk Member Posts: 1
    I have an X5 Sport 2001. I had one of the small plastic holders of the rear sensors fall out and it left one of the sensors dangling on its wire. I taped it back in ( I know, very classy ) and it seemed fine again but recently it simply malfunctions. Having nearly reversed into a small vehicle in a car park the other day ( which was completely invisible to me ) I recognise the value in these little helpers and I am determined to get them back and working. Can anyone tell me if I can do this job myself, and if so how. Your help appreciated.
    With the new engine in the 3's, I heard the engine intake was all different. I doubt they will put the new engine in the x5's since they have to redesign the engine compartment (And since x5 is slated for new platform in 2007). I called BMW NA and they'd said that it won't have the new engine and that they'd have no official word from bmw about new engine in their 06's. But who can be certain, they probably just want consumer to buy the 05's. Anyone have any other ideas?
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Even assuming they have to redesign the engine compartment, they are putting the new 3.0 in the X3, so I can't see any reason why they can't do likewise for the X5. (Well, I guess the only reason would be they can't justify the cost of doing it for basically one model year until the complete re-design for 2007). But the extra 30hp would benefit the X5 a lot more than it would the X3.
    Is this official about the X3? That it's getting a the new line of engine? I sure hope the x5 does, if so; i might have to push my order to an 06 x5 instead......
    I'm not sure if it is "official", but everything I've read points to the X3 getting the new 6. You've got an '05 X5 on order? Why not wait for an '06 regardless. Even if it doesn't get the new 6, I would bet the deals would get sweeter, with the model in its last model year and all.

I'm really tempted to trade my '04 TL for an '06 X5, possibly for the 4.4 if the 3.0 doesn't get the new 6. Even though the vehicle will be in its last model year, I still think the styling is one of the best around, better than the X3. And I don't particularly want a bigger X5 with 3rd row seating. To me the current one is just right, with the sweet V8 and X-drive.
    i really doubt they'll have it on the current x5, even an 06, i think they'll have one for the 07 redesign, hopefully it wont look as ugly as the x3
    I supposed it wouldn't make economic sense for them to tool up for one model year. And it also may cut into 4.4 sales.
    It is not strange that the X5 is one year away from a complete makeover, and yet there aren't really any factory incentives (rebates, low lease rates, etc)? Are sales volumes still strong? BMW is actually offering lower lease rates, and same or higher residuals on the X3 and the 5-series! :confuse:
  • daryamdaryam Member Posts: 1
    I recently traded in my 2001 X5 for a 2004 X5, on my old one I could use the steering controls to browse the radio stations on both my fm1 and fm2 presets without touching the actual radio buttons. On the newer one it just cycles on whatever preset you are currently on, if I want to see what's on the second set of presets then I have to switch it on the radio. Does anyone know how to switch the behavior so I can browse all the preset stations?

Thanks in advance
    no official incentives or rebates are available right now, maybe next year. but you can still negotiate the prices and have a brand new x5 for about $1000 over invoice, some people even got it for less.
    On the other hand...there are attractive lease deals on X3 right now. Maybe won't be same for next year. But I would want the extra 30 ponies from the new 6. The other change I wish they would make is put body-colored bumpers on at least the 3.0 version.
  • bmwcccbmwccc Member Posts: 234
    So what changes should we suspect for the 2006 X5? New 3 series engine? Xenon's as standard? Price increase?
    A lot of people are speculating the X5 won't get the new 6. Zenon is already standard (at least in Canada). I doubt they would increase the price in the final year, unless they want to stockpile X5's for the BMW museum!
    i think theyll only have minor upgrades for 06, i really doubt they'll have the new 3.0 engine, though it might be possible since the 06 5series gets the new engine, other than that, i have no clue, sorry...
    at this point, however, im expecting better bargains or incentives.
  • frankvogtfrankvogt Member Posts: 2
    My brakelight does not work and it is not the bulb. I think it is in the holder that plugs into the receptacle. Any suggestions on how to fix or where to get a replacement part. Thanks for any help.
    if your car is still under warranty just take it to the dealership and have them fix it for you, if not i cant suggest any place since i dont know where you live, as for replacement parts theres a company on the web that sells complete bmw parts, ill post again as soon as i find the web address.
  • frankvogtfrankvogt Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your reply. It is out of warranty and I would appreciate the web address if you can find it.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "BMW appears to be preparing to introduce an overhauled version of its X5 sport-utility vehicle next year."

BMW May Unveil New X5 in 2006 (Inside Line)

Steve, Host