Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X5

Comments

• tpjcourtneytpjcourtney Member Posts: 34
    Go with Icelink Plus.

I bought mine at Best Buy ($199)and had it working in 15 minutes. Besides having to download an update it was effortless. I will be spending some time to locate it in the center consol later, right now it just sits in the rear side panel, where the CD changer would go and works great.

You can access the 1st 5 playlists with the memory buttons, all the rest by pushing 6 and using the steering wheel controls to access playlists, artists, albums, or any menu item. It also puts all playlist and song titles on the radio and in the info display in the cluster if you want.

I can't even imagine why anyone would buy the BMW setup.
  • ad50ad50 Member Posts: 1
    I also own a X5 3.0 2002. at 53,000 miles the battery went out for the first time. I leave the car at the airport for days at a time and never have seen a issue.

I live in Texas and last week we had cold weather down into the single digits. The engine wiring harness went bad. The told me the harness had a bad wire in it which caused my service engine soon light and both brake lights to come on.

You may have another problem which is killing your battery.
  • maailmanmaailman Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my new 2006 X5, what exactly they said the problem was? How do I fix it?
  • dthroopdthroop Member Posts: 2
    OK so I just took delivery of a 2006 X5, 4.4 with Nav and Premium sound system. Any known way to hook an ipod into the system without an FM Modulator or going in through the cassette with an adapter??
    How about a Monster iCruze interface??
  • dthroopdthroop Member Posts: 2
    My 2006 X5 has Nav and Premium Sound. Do you know if the Icelink Plus will work here?
  • mindfull1mindfull1 Member Posts: 3
    MadX,
    I assume by now you've scrolled back 10-15 messages to find this has just been covered. A few options, and good pro/cons to consider.
    HTH. :)
  • bpc9999bpc9999 Member Posts: 1
    Does the Icelink Plus work for an iPod on an X5 with Premium Sound & Nav - or not. I also have reviewed the discussions and I dont believ this have been fully explained for this X5 config. Pls advise
  • rrv2rrv2 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering purchasing a 2006 X5 4.4 through performance delivery pickup in SC. Highland green/sand, dark poplar, premium, cold weather, rear climate. Do you feel BMW has worked out all the "kinks"? Would the redesigned 2007 model be an improvement although first year production? Dealers first quote was $56K. Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.
  • mindfull1mindfull1 Member Posts: 3
    Hello all, I've been "lurking" here during my research phase, and it's finally time to post! As my 1994 740iL is about to roll over 200k miles, I've been shopping committedly for a 2002-3 X5 for about a month now among dealerships, private parties, used car lots (yuck). I'm located in the San Francisco Bay Area, and have been shopping as far as Arizona, Oregon & Nevada.

The used car lots were quickly eliminated as an option (Prices, lack of car records & trust-factor took care of that). Private Parties offered better pricing and records, but warranties were often on their last miles/mo's or expired. For me, warranty is critical, as my 740 has taught me well! (Since warranty expired eons ago, I've spent more on maintenance than the car cost me originally!) So the Dealership CPOs were the most attractive, but there was little room for negotiation. However, the warranty offered (generally 2 years +/-) was enticing.
    Just when I was about to purchase a Dealership CPO (02s and 03s ran $30-36k out the door, depending on mileage), I came across a private owner who had bought a Dealership Lease-return CPO in spring 2005 (8 months ago), and was ready to sell before going abroad. The car has the CPO warranty through Sept 2008/100k miles!

So here's what I've landed, and I think it's a fair deal. I hope the value-gurus here will agree!

2002 X5 3.0i
    • Mileage: 55k
    • BMW Certified/Extended Warranty to Sept2008/100k miles.
    • Interior Color: Black/Grey Sport Leather
    • Exterior Color: Steel Gray Metallic
    • Transmission: Automatic/Steptronic

• PREMIUM Package
    • SPORT Package
    • REAR CLIMATE Package
    • COLD WEATHER Package

Option Details:
    *PREMIUM Package has power glass moon roof, wood trim, 6-way power passenger seat, adjustable rear seat back, rain-sensing windshield wipers, front climate control, on-board computer, leather upholstery
    *SPORT Package has star spoke alloy wheels, M sport steering wheel, sport (self-leveling) suspension, anthracite headliner, sport seats (Leather)
    *REAR CLIMATE Package has rear door sunblinds, rear climate controls, privacy glass
    *COLD WEATHER Package has heated front seats, headlight washers, ski bag

Description:
    EXCELLENT Condition throughout
    Clean CarFax reflects lease, then CPO.

I got the above for $24,500, including the factory warranty (original extended). I'm a happy camper, I hope justifiably so! Look forward to your input.

M1
  • spacemagnetspacemagnet Member Posts: 3
    Wondering if anyone has owned a Touareg who is now driving a X5? Or overall opinions of the X5? Any complaints with build quality, problems, etc? I have an 04(bought in 03) VW Touareg and I really love it, but it has alot of build quality issues and a few other more serious problems. Since its under warrenty is ok but I only have 10k left on factory warrenty and have been considering an X5(free maintence!) as an upgrade. I dont consider myself a real BMW person, but we have a MINI and its very well built and the free service is wicked. Any thoughts on a X5 overall? Also does anyone tow with the X5? Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    This time of year is known at the tumbleweed season on the car lots, so you should have plenty of bargaining power.

Check out Real-World Trade-In Values while waiting for responses in here.

Steve, Host
    "2007 BMW X5 tears up the test track."

2007 BMW X5 (Inside Line)

Talk about it in the 2007 BMW X5 discussion.

Steve, Host
  • kkkahnkkkahn Member Posts: 3
    I bought a BMW X-5 instead of a Taureg specifically for the reason of maintenance. In order to maintain the VW properly, I have to take it to the dealer every 5000 miles for whatever the normal maintenance called for. I'd then be on the hook for maintenance bills, and car rental fee. BMW has a policy of "If it takes longer than an hour, we give you a loaner". Also, because oil changes are every 15,000 miles. I'm actually on this townhall chat section to find out how to remove the bumper of my X-5 so I can install the factory designed hitch that I purchased from the BMW dealer. If you buy an X-5, and wish to tow, some aftermarket hitch manufactorers tell you their hitch will not work if you have "Park Distance Control". Also, all hitches from BMW come with the wire harness, that's why the hitch will cost you $495.00 plus tax. As for not being a BMW person, I wasn't until I bought my fiance' her 2001 325i. That's when I became sold on BMW just because of the maintenance. Once her warranty expired, we traded it in real quick for a 2006 330i, which we "warrantyied to the max". Tires, maintenance, etc. to 6 years, 100,000 miles. When we bought her 330, I also looked at the Taureg for myself but discovered I couldn't afford the Taureg, $46,000 for the V6, so I bought a BMW X-3, which I just traded in for an X-5. I'd installed a BMW hitch on the X-3, and it pulled a 5 x 10 foot utility trailer just fine. I traded up to the X-5 just because the X-5 is larger. I've driven full size American vans and SUV's before. Just my opinion, hope it helps. kkkahn
  • kkkahnkkkahn Member Posts: 3
    Our first BMW was a 2001 325i with regular headlights whatever they were, but they were not xenons. We now have a 2005 X-5, and a 2006 330i. Both have xenons, worth the $800.00 in our opinion. Just our thought.
  • kypreosx5kypreosx5 Member Posts: 14
    Just to list the problems on this X5. Panoramic sunroof leaked. rear tail lights kept failing. drivers side seat cushion needed replacemt at I yr. Wiper arm faulty. Console cover between front seats catch faulty. Blue tooth goes wacky when near the BMW service facility. plastic rear tailgate hinge cover keeps falling off.What next? and I bought it new, have only just done 20000km (16000miles)otherwise it drives nice.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    Interesting. My Dad has an '04 X5 3.0iA that has been the absolute pinnacle of reliability. He has had the truck for just over 2 years and about 43,000 miles. It has been back to the dealer exactly 3 times:

17,000 miles -- 1st oil change
    36,000 miles -- Inspection I service
    41,000 miles -- Front Right Brake Caliper Seized. Front Brake pads and rotors replaced.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Thank for the information it encourges me that hopefully all will be well now, thanks.
  • pantaleonepantaleone Member Posts: 9
    Hello I have an 05 X5 with the same problem with the sunroof (leaked then they put in extra moulding now there is wind noise around 75 mph) what did they do to fix your leak?

Thank you
  • yououououoyououououo Member Posts: 1
    Just read your message... I have the exact same car (2006 X5 4.4 with NAV, DSP and Factory Installed CD changer)I also get the smae error when I try to play MP3 or WMA errors so you are not out there alone!

Have you found any resoulation to this?

Thanks
  • jackiedorianjackiedorian Member Posts: 1
    This happened to me recently. My "baby" wouldn't start, the lights lit up, the radio plays but the engine would not turn. My first instinct was the battery. I jumpstarted, no go. So I had to tow the car to BMW. 5 mns latter they told me it was just the key not functioning properly!... :blush: So next time your car won't start, don't overlook the key and always have a spare key handy.
    dear Pantaleone
    First they "massaged" the seals as a tempraray measure then they removed the seales and re set them, thts wahat they told me. Originlly I thought that they had replaced the seals. The BMW delers seesm to be tight lipped as to how they fixed it. Its been ok since (hope it stays tht way). With your wind noise I cant see how that can be, unless they installed some non standard replacemsnt seal?
    I would go back to the dealer and complain. good luck with it.
    Regarding your tow bar hitch. I was told the same thing in Australia BUT, the BMW tow bar is made by the Hayman Reece Co out here with BMW badge. Its the wiring harness thats the problem. In Aus$ the wiring harness is $1000 plus 3 hours labour. The non genuine installation is about $900 cheaper and only one hour labour and the park sensors are not problem provided you do not have a tow ball decorative chrome cover fitted over the ball. Mine used to set off the sensors, but when the cover was discarded, no problem. I'm very pleased.
  • chr12345uschr12345us Member Posts: 12
    Sorry about the delay, they had the reply function broken.
    Yes, there is a new OEM CD changer that supports MP3 playback (as stated in the owners manual). Go back to the dealer and have them replace your "factory installed" one with the right version. Fight for it !
    Here's a full blown interactive tour of the 2006 X5:

Interactive Video Tour

Steve, Host
    Iam curious if any one knows if any of the new Nokia phones except the older 6310 work with the BMW bluetooth
  • arvin1arvin1 Member Posts: 9
    BMW X5 rules all SUV's!!
  • metairie_lametairie_la Member Posts: 8
    I am considering purchasing an x5. What can I expect if I purchased one? Thank you for your replys.
    dear metaire
    A great car for road holding and performance.
    Pity about the small niggly things that go wrong, seemy other commenst over the last few monts regarding problems I've had. I think the problem is that the vehicle is American made and not German.The trim quality and small plstic bits is not typical quality BMW
  • nyeanyea Member Posts: 12
    okay to lease but it is one of the most unreliable vehicle to purchase. it could easily run you additional $5000 after the warranty. i have one x5, cost me $2000+ to repair so far. you think a bmw born in germany would be better, you are wrong again. my 323i cost me $5000 as of last week, replaced water pump, rebuilt auto transmission, replaced a/c unit, coolant leakage ... and the car is only 50k miles. lexus and infinite are much better vehicles.
  • metairie_lametairie_la Member Posts: 8
    I have a 528i and the same thing happens to me during a very hard rain. I thought it was because my car is low to the ground. It is always my driver side rear passenger floor. Every place I have brought the car (Including the dealership) can't find anything wrong and their is never any leaks aroung the door seals either. Good luck, but it sounds like my car and yours are related. :)
  • jigyn1jigyn1 Member Posts: 1
    I have driven Benz for last 30 years. My current S500 has 152,000 miles and I just want a different car. Never owned a BMW. I have a chance to buy a one owner 2001 X5 4.4 with 17000miles. Looks perfect. Owner says she has never had any "serious" problem, but after reading about all the problems some of you have had, I am hesitant to make the purchase. The asking price is $25K. Was this a particularly bad year for reliabillity?
    please refer to oct 05 consumer reports. bmw has the worest record among all automakers for the 1st and 2nd model years (70+ problems per 100 vehicles). honda and toyota have around 20 problems per 100 vehicles. i think lexus would be a much better choice.
    i can't speak for anyone else, but my two bmw started to have serious problems (over $1000 per reapir) after 50k.
  • JimSUV99JimSUV99 Member Posts: 3
    I test drove the X5 Sport and found its handling and ride VERY stiff and bumpy. I currently have a Lexus GS, which drives like it's floating on air. The dealer only had the Sport model in inventory and stated that 90% of its sales are the Sports model. Does anyone have the X5 without the Sport option...does it offer a smoother ride and better handling? Will I be making a mistake by purchasing from the factory without the Sport option? JC
    Stiff & Bumpy are relative terms as far as ride & handling go. First of all, you're coming from a Lexus which for all intensive purposes is a couch on wheels. Second, going from a car to a truck you will feel the bumps more. My Dad has an X5 3.0iA with Sports Package and neither of us (or his Great Dane he bring to work with him every day) think the ride is anywhere near harsh. He drives on the pot hole laden roads in and around NYC.

I would imagine the a non-sport X5 would ride softer and maybe more to your liking.

Funny you should mention that your particular dealer only has SPort Models in stock. My Dad had to special order his. Besides the sport suspension tuning, you get 18" wheels, black trim around the windows, black chrome exhqaust pipes, & the ever so comfy for a long ride SPort Seats with side & knee bolsters.

How come you don't want another Lexus? Have you test driven the RX350?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• JimSUV99JimSUV99 Member Posts: 3
    I DO think that the RX 350 and/or 400h will offer a smoother ride over the X5, far superior stereo sound (not to mention the CD configuration), and Lexus' quality and reliability are exceptional (RX 350 reviews are nearly perfect). You cannot get wood trim with the 400h, so the RX 350 is my finalist against the X5. When I test drove the X5, I found the comfort seats more comfy than the Sport seats...and loved the headrest adjustment. Will test drive the nonSport X5 and RX 350 and see where I'm at. Anyone else been caught up in the X5/RX 350 dilemma?
  • mexibecmexibec Member Posts: 114
    Of my last 4 cars, 3 were BMWs: '96 328i, '99 528i and '02 Z3 3.0. Last year, I bought an '06 Infiniti M45 over the 545i. Reason: the M45 drives very well (not as good as a 5, but darn close), all the gadgetry works (Bluetooth, nav, incredible sound system, rear-view camera, rev-matching downshifts, etc) and reliability is among the best (the 545i I test-drove had two flaws: 1) a transmission firmware issue and 2) iDrive). I'm super satisfied with the M45, except that my kids are growing, and I need to carry more stuff, hence I need an SUV. The Infiniti FX45 is not kids-friendly at all: it feels very tight, the door sills are high (young kids can barely see outside) and the car roof line is too low, making access to the cargo area not ideal. On the other hand, the X5 4.4 looks just what I need in terms of safety, space and performance: excellent crash ratings, kids-friendly (roomy, good visility, etc) and enough torque for the SoCal highways. But the interior (from a driver's standpoint) even with Premium & Sport pkgs, feels austere. And the nav is so-so (no voice recognition to state destinations). But it sure drives like a BMW and is arguably the safest SUV out there (strong points for me). But how about reliability? I keep reading all sorts of issues on Edmunds' forums like leaking seals, dead batteries, etc. all of which being non-acceptable when buying a vehicle to carry kids around. I need some advice about the X5 4.4 (recent years, say 2005 or 2006) in terms of reliability. According to Consumer Reports, the X5's reliability has been 'below-average' for years, and just this year it got 'average'. I can accept occasional visits to the dealership (as I always did with my previous BMW), but I need a vehicle that I can count on. So maybe a simple way to ask you: I'm looking for a top-handling SUV, will an X5 let me down with kids on board and can I trust the vehicle? (I know I can't trust any M-B out there). What do you think? Thanks.
  • kbcwalshkbcwalsh Member Posts: 1
    Year: 2004
    Make: BMW Truck
    Model: X5
    Body: 3.0i Sport Utility 4D
    Exterior Color: Gray
    Interior Color: Gray
    Mileage: 25,378
    Engine: 6-Cyl. 3.0 Liter
    Transmission: Automatic
    DriveTrain: AWD
    Stock: j260277b
    VIN: 5UXFA13534LU33223

Packages - Sport, Premium, Rear Climate, Xenon and Wood Trim

The asking price is $38,475. I was thinking around $33,000. (this is in TX)

Thanks!
    Kelli
    We have TMV for certified cars too; a similar one to yours came in at $33,264 for my zip code but I didn't enter the options you have listed.

Here's the link that you can tweak for your zip, etc.

Check out the BMW X3: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion too.

Steve, Host
  • yooper57yooper57 Member Posts: 2
    I want to buy an X5 and was planning on waiting for the '07, but I am now worried about the 3rd row seat change. Should I buy now or have BMW dealers traditionally offered deals at the end of a model year? I live in OC/LA.
  • lukewanglukewang Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking into buying a 2001 X5 with the manual transmission. Can you please share with me anything you can abou this car? I'm very concerned about the reliability but I do not know much about the car. Thanks in advance for sharing!

Luke
  • mxdim2001mxdim2001 Member Posts: 2
    Hey Nyccarguy,

I was wondering if I can find a BMW X5 Diesel in the USA. I want to buy the diesel option from the US but don't know if there are any available? Can you give me an advice on where to look for one?

Thank you in advance, I appreciate your effort,

Max
    X5 Diesels aren't available here in the USA :cry: Maybe we can hop that BMW will import them when they give us the next generation X5. The reason why it isn't available (yet) here is due to the fact that Europe's diesel fuel is MUCH cleaner than ours. I think the diesel would be a great option for people who do a lot of highway driving and towing. You get gobs of low end torque and great highway mileage.

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter aims to speak with anyone who has owned a vehicle and found its controls to be complicated. Please respond to jfallonedmunds.com by Monday, July 17, 2006, and be sure to include your daytime contact info and a few words about your experience.

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • samdarrasamdarra Member Posts: 1
    I'm getting a new X5 4.4i next week, I'm currently on assignment in Saudi Arabia, (extreme heat, dry & dusty), any advise/tips will be appreciated

cheers
  • arvin1arvin1 Member Posts: 9
    :) I have a 2001 bmw x5 and i love it..not one problem yet..

52000 miles on it.
  • autophileautophile Member Posts: 14
    We've owned 5 new BMW's over the years, and our 2005 X5 is by far the best vechicle we've ever owned. We got it in April 2005 and it has been flawless to this point. A great long trip vehicle--very safe and secure on the road, smooth ride, quiet, roomy, and luxurious for an SUV. We love everything about it. I highly recommend it.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Be sure to report your mileage in BMW X3 & X5: MPG - Real
    World Numbers"
    and see how others are doing.

tidester, host
    Blogging Bob has some photos and news up on the Straightline. Third row seating will be an option.