Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X5

Comments

• accordfreakaccordfreak Member Posts: 39
    Well, the new model is out on the net (http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/futurevehicles/newx5) any one heard when it will be available or pricing?
  • shaymasdaddyshaymasdaddy Member Posts: 16
    A local dealer in Dallas informed me the '07 X5 will be out around Thanksgiving. Another dealer stated that the pricing is as follows (excluding $695 destination charge):

2007 X5 3.0 $45,900
    2007 X5 4.8 $54,500

Note: The '07 X5 includes the 6-sp steptronic auto trans and xenons as standard equipment. As a result, the price increase actually is not $3400 (base price for '06 X5 3.0 is $42,500) but around $1325 when you add in the auto tranny and xenons.

The pics look awesome. I'm looking forward to that test drive in November. :shades:
  • shikemshikem Member Posts: 7
    The new 3 series has been exemplary however.
  • quattroporte12quattroporte12 Member Posts: 178
    Does anyone have a 2000-2003 X5 with the Sport package (or 19" wheels). I would like to know how this vehicle does in the snow, i am guessing not very good considering the wheels come with summer tires. Does anyone know is you can put snow tires on the wheels, or if they even make snow tires that small. Thanks.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national newspaper is looking to interview Porsche and BMW owners who use their car for “everyday driving,” from going to the grocery store to commuting to and from work, instead of just using the car during the weekends for nice drives. Please send an e-mail to [email protected] no later than Monday, August 28, 2006 by 2:30 PM PT/5:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and what car you drive.
  • cefuscefus Member Posts: 45
    We will start making the new X5 this monday Sept 25 for all of the world. Hope you all will enjoy it
    Do you know when it will be in dealerships? Or how long it usually takes for a car to get to dealerships after starting production. Also, do you know when they will release pricing, or what it will be? Thanks
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    A salesman at the Tucson dealership says he has "ordering information". I presume this includes pricing, but maybe not.
  • daryll44daryll44 Member Posts: 307
    A good friend of mine has a fairly well loaded X5 on order. The dealer now reports that the pwer open/close thingie for the rear hatch won't be ready until April. So he has to accept his order (due soon) without it or wait until spring.

The question that came up is this: Will the new X5 still have the "clam shell" design in the tailgate? My friend likes the "shelf" that is created when he "opens the clam".
    With a power option (that is delayed anyway), it's suspect that they'll carry forward the "claim" design. Or will they?
    It appears from the "Product Ordering Guide" (available on www.autospies.com) that the two piece tailgate is retained with the power hatch. This is a nice feature. No other SUV has this arrangement.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • reeffreeff Member Posts: 5
    I'd like to get some feedback as to what to do on my X5 3.0 as the warranty will be ending in april of 2007.

I have two options:

- Purchase extended warranty : Who would you recommend I go through and what would it cost?

- Trade in/sell vehicle and obtain a lease on a X5.

It is my wife's vehicle and she would like a new X5 however I'm not sure what it would cost me. I reside in Naperville, Illinois.

Any thoughts or recommendations?
  • low_ball_88low_ball_88 Member Posts: 171
    The Toyota Landcuiser has the clam design as well. Just wondering how the power rear hatch would work with the two piece design.
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    the new 07 X5. Great car, still the tight handling car of the last generation, but much smoother, and quieter. I still say that for everyday driving, BMW's tend to be a little nervous as far as steering goes. It's more quiet that the Q7 however. It just requires more steering corrections over the highway than the Audi does. The interior is much improved, and I love the thick, business like steering wheel.
    Did the car you drove have the standard 18" wheels?
    I believe that "road wander" is commonly associated with wide tires.
  • kypreosx5kypreosx5 Member Posts: 14
    My X5 has travelled 31000km only. It has 17 inch wheels.
    I'm not a rough person on brakes yet all my 4 wheels pads are worn down and the rotors may also need replacement. Has any one else noted excessive wear, or is this normal? Does anyone know what the minimum thickness tolerance is of the rotors before needing to be replaced ?.
    Uhh, that road wonder is commonly associated with BMW as far as I'm concerned. They are "enthusiastic". All that to say, they are awesome cars. For daily driving I prefer Audi. If I want enthusiastic, I'll go with a Porsche.

I think my wife will be in tune with it. It is a nice ride. If the Q7 didn't have so much friggen wind noise, it'd be a lot more competitive for our garage.
  • adamsjr1adamsjr1 Member Posts: 4
    Recently (9 months ago) I brought a 2001 CPO X5 and after 9 months I'm starting to have issues regarding paint facking off.

After some research I found out that the vehicle's previous owner had gotten some bad body work done. After reporting it to the dealership they invetigated my problem and also had me take my vehicle to there body shop for an estimate. And now they have determind that since they did not see any problems when they CPO the car and they also contacted there BMW rep. and he also agreeded without the Service Manager and the BMW Rep. looking at the car.

So can anyone give me some advise on how to resolve my issue?

Btw
    I did contact the Customer Relations and they where no help what so ever.

But for the most part I need some ideals on how and who else
    can I contact to help me resolve my problem
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "This "SAV" is basically an X5 with a sloped roof (and compromised interior/cargo space). "

Future Friday: 2009 X6 -- BMW Crosses Over...Again

• freddybbfreddybb Member Posts: 95
    My wife and I purchased a brand new 2007 BMW X5 a few weeks ago because they finally came out with a seven seater (we have three kids). The first couple of weeks were great. We loved the X5 -- it was great fun to drive, very versatile and well designed, the Head-Up Display is awesome, etc. etc.

Then, the honeymoon suddenly was over! A host of electrical, software and fuel system problems (NO LESS THAN TEN DIFFERENT PROBLEMS -- too many to list in detail here) cropped up. Needless to say, the car is back in the shop for at least three days (for diagnosis only, the fixing will take weeks), a scant three weeks after we picked it up brand new.

This is eerily reminiscent of my horrible experience with the brand new 2006 530xi that I purchased in August 2005. That car was back in the shop THE SAME DAY that I picked it up (burnt out LCD panel, etc.)!! Major feeling of Deja Vu.

Dear BMW, your most loyal customers are the ones who buy your newest models and we do NOT deserve to be treated like this. We are NOT your Beta testing group -- not when we pay nearly $70K for your product. I cannot imagine that the problems we are having would not be immediately observed by your testing team a few weeks after they start testing. Keep doing this to us and you will lose your most loyal customers because you DO NOT deserve our loyalty. We are SICK and TIRED of testing your new models for you because somehow you cannot do enough testing yourself (too eager to start making money on them maybe?!).

You may think we are fools who will not learn from experience and will keep buying and recommending your products no matter what -- but you are DEAD WRONG about this. Take care of your customers and we will reward you for it, treat us like a free testing service and we will go elsewhere.

Yours in profound disappointment,

- A repeat customer
  • tcn2ktcn2k Member Posts: 277
    Never buy a first year car model of any brand. That is my model.
  • chaddy75chaddy75 Member Posts: 48
    AMEN. I could not agree with you more. You'd think they'd catch on especially considering they are higer priced than their competitiors.
  • kcml320kcml320 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    I just purchased a 2002 X5 with the sport package(19") rims..Can someone recommend a good dedicated Snow Tire to put on these rims..I also received with it another set of rims with summer tires so I will be using the snows only for winter which is long and hard here in Park City,Utah...I really dont want all-season tires,looking for agressive snow tires(non-studded).What are my options?? Thanks in advance..Kevin
    Check out www.tirerack.com . there you can select your vehicle and its wheel size and they will give you a list of all the tires that match your criteria and each tires' rating for handling, snow, ride, quietness etc...
    Check this out! Auto Parts Bargains and Coupons

Feel free to add your own to the growing list. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • kypreosx5kypreosx5 Member Posts: 14
    has anyone tried the motorola RAZRV3 and V3i with their X5 and is it fully compatible.
    Also nokia 6233 ?
    I have Razr and it works fine.
  • gatorfan5gatorfan5 Member Posts: 3
    I took delivery of my 2007 X5 with Premium and sport package on January 20th and have had absolutely no problems with the vehicle itself. It drives like a dream. Unfortunately, this morning I learned they are still working out "some technical issues" pertaining to the trailer hitch kit and while they currently have 1200 on order across the country, there is no release date currently known. Has any one else dealt with this problem and if so how are you pulling your boat? Did you go with after market product?
  • gatorfan5gatorfan5 Member Posts: 3
    I have been told by my dealership that BMW is still working out some "technical issues" on the Trailer hitch kit and no release date has been announced for this accessory. Has anyone else dealt with this issue? Anyone using an aftermarket hitch assembly to pull their boat they'd recommend?
  • bmwnabmwna Member Posts: 32
    I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
  • ms09ms09 Member Posts: 112
    hi,Freddy am shocked to see ur message,the problems u had in ur bmw, am to scare to put my hands on a bmw now,i liked the x5 but since i heard ur problems, there is no way for me to think of bmw now,i'll just go for my favorite cayenne or a gl class,i was also considering a x5 for future but i dont think anymore maybe i'll just check the x6 when it comes in 08 or09.i heard that bmw cars have thechnical problems before, but afer reading ur message im confirm that all the problems are true ..
    Don't let this report discourage you. Get the 2008 x5's. Bmw are amazing.
    This is freddybb again -- BMW of NA did leave a voicemail for me yesterday. Have called them back but not heard again from them.

In response to tcn2k's comment that "BMWs are amazing" -- surprisingly, I agree! I do love the 2007 X5 we have AND I would buy it again! Is that very surprising after the experience with my 2006 530xi and the 2007 X5? Maybe. But the point of my post was NOT to say that BMW does not make cars that we don't want to buy, but that they should respect the "early adopters" who are willing to go out on a limb and buy a new model and put in some more testing to catch issues that at least appear to be easy to find.

A suggestion to BMW -- do you have your engineers use your new models themselves for six months in the real world before you release them to the market? If not, maybe you should consider doing so.

The 2007 X5 with the seven seats is a fantastic vehicle. Drives incredibly well, very well designed inside, feels solid all around, etc. I cannot think of another vehicle in this category that even comes close to it for us.
    but still bmw did have problems , which a high class car should never have ,and there is 1 thing which bothers me a lot in bmw cars which is the speed meters light colors in orange and all around.i think bmw could have the x5 a much better car and a much better design but they want to keep that for the next generation,these days it hard to choose a good car,the most long lasting car i have seen is the toyota land cruiser, its a problem free car for a long long time,is the x5 i quite ride, is there any wind noise,bouncing around, engine sound, is it a smooth car. ???and any idea how good is the cayenne and gl class ???for comfort and smooth thanks guys
    I too love the way my BMW 7-series drives. However, when you pay a lot for luxury and refinement you should not have to deal with constant problems. I also have two other friends that have 7-series and they too have headaches after headaches after headaches. One of them finally got rid of theirs. Was brand new and the engine blew up after about approx. 3,000 miles. Unfortunately BMW did not step in until they had to get ugly with them. It's too bad BMW does not build more dependable cars b/c the drives are always nice as well as the cabins. And you know that Toyota and Lexus put out exceptional cars as far as realiability but they lack excitement.
    U own a 7series as well? i think the toyota lexus will be the best cars to buy, cause i always heard good things abt these cars,and my uncle and dad and many friend own them and they never have any problem with it.

I own a toyota yaris, and i also have a toyota avalon which was my dad car but my now, To be honest i think these high luxury are only for very rich people who dont have problems if there is any problems in the car, Cause they will just go buy another car,and not care much,if u want to play safe i think to buy a toyota or a lexus, if u go for a bmw mercedes porsche there is always a risk ... they make great cars but i think the germans car has a long way to go for reliability.
    I'm with you. Just look at all the consumer reports reviews as it shows Toyota and Lexus as always ranked the highest in realiabilty and dependability.
  • anon3anon3 Member Posts: 147
    Freddybb writes: "there is 1 thing which bothers me a lot in bmw cars which is the speed meters light colors in orange"

BMW's instrument clusters light up orange at night because scientific studies show that color of light to be the easiest for the human eye to refocus between the road and the instrument panel during night time driving. It's probably not to everyone's tastes, but there is science and not whimsy behind that choice.
    I also highly recommend tirerack.com . Their research tools and delivery are excellent. Case in point: I researched and ordered a set of winter wheels for an X5 4.8is (because the performance tires on that vehicle are useless in snow.) The new wheels/tires were delivered to my driveway mounted and balanced 48 hours later (using standards UPS shipping).
    Actually anon3, I (freddybb) did not write that comment about the orange color of the instrument clusters in BMWs. That was written by ms09 in response to my earlier post. I agree with you about the visibility of the orange color and I actually very much like it in both my 2006 530xi and my wife's 2007 X5.

We have now put about 2500 miles on our 2007 X5 and, barring the problems that I have already written about, it is a dream vehicle. Drives incredibly well, corners "like it is on rails" (we have the Sport Package with the Adaptive Stabilization), is very well laid out inside, and is incredible to look at. I would most certainly buy it again over the Lexus (no personality, too soft a ride, bland design, ...) and Porsche Cayenne (man, what an ugly car!).

I also have to say (knocking on wood as I write this!) that after the initial spate of issues with my 2006 530xi, it has had absolutely no problems and is a total joy to own and drive. This leads me to believe that after BMW debugs the start-up issues with new models things tend to get a lot better. At least I hope I am correct about this and don't regret this conclusion!
    thanks for the reply , i had no idea that orange lights were easiest to see. scientific studies show color of light to be easiest for human eye,?something new for me anyway thanks, (and freddybb)hey i saw ur messages that cayenne is a (ugly car)but not every1 says its ugly including me.
  • r_smithr_smith Member Posts: 1
    What is the gvwr for the 2007 X5 3.0si? Some sites lists it as 6,327 lbs, while others (carsdirect, yahoo auto) lists it as 5963 lbs. I cannot find it on the official bmw site. Thanks.
    scientific studies show color of light to be easiest for human eye

I don't think it's quite that simple but, if anyone is interested, this article is ... well ... illuminating. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    It is quite that simple: the color choice wasn't a style choice; it was purposefully selected. The point is that BMW studied how light color affects the human eye when it refocuses between an instrument cluster (near object, relatively bright) and the road (distant object, relatively dark) during night driving and in conditions of driver eye fatigue. They picked the color that produces least stress on the eye when looking between the road and the instrument cluster. These nuances are important at autobahn speeds (driving over 100mph on a dark highway for example), which is what these vehicles are designed for.

I just don't think most people are aware of the depth of experience that goes into even the seemingly simple features of a vehicle. Buy a European performance vehicle and you get the advantage of decades of cumulative performance engineering experience in every facet of the vehicle.

The Japanese manufacturers only recently started focusing on performance engineering in their main-stream vehicles. So they copy as much as possible from the Europeans in an attempt to catch up. (Toyota rips apart and studies a dozen BMWs each year to figure out how they were designed. I have seen those vehicles out in a storage yard after they were dissected.) But something is always lost in the translation.
    The bmwusa website lists the unladen weight of the 2007 BMW X5 3.0si as 4982 lbs.

See http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/X5/30si/techdata.htm
  • rfightrfight Member Posts: 4
    We too have a new X5. I am just wondering what your problems were.?? I was driving down the interstate and the vehicle died. Then it wouldn't restart. Tried about 10 different times as I waited an hour for the tow truck. Had to get it towed to the dealership. Now it is up and running again but the dealership can't find the problem. I certainly don't want to be stranded on the roadside again. Is my problem similar to yours?
    Thankfully I have not had any problem as severe as yours (the car dying on the road), Mine were mostly electrical and software issues, including hunting at idle with a warm engine, the 6-button control panel flashing on and off, the BRAKE (not PARK) light coming on erroneously, etc.
  • rfightrfight Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the fast response. I'll post again when they tell me what the problem is.