Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X5

1232425262729»

Comments

• 6degrees6degrees Member Posts: 19
    It just happened once today.

After I turned off the ignition and took the key out. I noticed something was still running under the hood. I waited a while and it kept running. I did not wait for it to stop. I put key in and started the engine again (I did check the engine temperature and it was normal.). Then turned it off. After this, I did not see anything running any more.

The running was like turbo charged engine, which keeps running for a while after you turn off the engine.

Anybody experienced this?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Maybe it was just the radiator fan? Most of them are thermostatically controlled these days and will run (if needed) whether the motor is on or off.
  • 6degrees6degrees Member Posts: 19
    It might be the fan which was running. But why? It never happened to me before. Engine temperature was normal and weather was cold. After I re-started the engine and turned it off, the running was gone rightaway.

I am not sure if it is normal.

Steve, thank you for the reply.
  • cobra9cobra9 Member Posts: 4
    I just bought an '05 4.4 with sport + premium. 24k is good/fair depending on condition. If there is still warranty left or it is CPO, I think it is pretty good!
    Maintenance - cannot tell, depends too much on condition, but I'm prepared for higher then your average car.
    Issues - check x5world.com, but from what I read, minor stuff, my PDC and folding mirrors stopped working, but are still under warranty.
    I like the look. BMW keeps to maintaining their theme.
    Resale - I realy expect it to depreciate 2-3k per year from this point.
  • jerseyjim82jerseyjim82 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I recently purchase a 2002 x5 3.0 bmw...the car doesnt have any audio upgrades and I was thinking of getting a touch screen navigation/dvd system for itand hopefully installing monitors on the headrests or a flipdown...can anyone tell me if this is feasible or will it be way too much trouble....thx
  • jc12058jc12058 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the exact same problem with my 2002 X5 sport. My local shop told me the bladder needs replacing ($1000+) but was able to fill it and it held for about 2 months. Let me know if you find a better fix, as no lights are on the dash etc...
  • helping2helping2 Member Posts: 3
    Definitely worth the extra for the nav system. You are never lost. Only negative is the update DVD is expensive.
  • x5fixerx5fixer Member Posts: 2
    Final stage Module goes bad and blower motor continues to run after ignition is turned off running the battery down.Dealer repair about $350. do it yourself with dealer part for about $130
    "It's hard to imagine a more complete high-performance SUV package than the 2010 BMW X5 M. It set new records at the drag strip. It's as easy to drive as any normal X5, and steers and rides better than any previous example. Its 14 mpg average certainly will not earn you a medal for fuel efficiency, but it is the best figure in its immediate peer group. And while $86,000 is unquestionably a large sum of money, that price is at the very least "fair" when it's compared to those of its rivals — especially when you line up standard and optional equipment."

2010 BMW X5 M Full Test and Video (Inside Line)

• shockphshockph Member Posts: 2
    I've got a chance to pick up a 2008 4.8 with 6,600 miles for $46,000...

Car has tech, premium and sports package and comfort access. Carfax looks good - single owner who traded the car in for Benz G-Wagon....

Is this a good price?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You should have a look at BMW X5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • adamoreadamore Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 x5 4.4 and was having problems with the auto suspension level with the driver side being lower than the pass. I brought it to BMW service and they said the front tension struts, ball joints, and lower control arm bushings need to be replaced. They say it is due to normal wear and tear so it is not covered under the CPO warranty and will be $2,500. to fix. The vehicle has 51k miles on it. Has anyone else had to replace this due to normal wear and tear after 51k miles?
  • paulepaule Member Posts: 382
    I have the same car with just shy of 100,000 and have not had this issue. Any chance you have another BMW dealer within driving distance to get a second opinion?
  • jsmileyboyjsmileyboy Member Posts: 1
    Hello all, this is my first post here. I've been looking at the BMW x5 for a few years now... I bought a 1996 landcruiser a few years ago. However my 4 wheeling days are over.... I've really built up the truck and I'm done.

I've had bmws in the past and I know that they need matienance regularly. I'm planning on spending about $18k. I live in colorado so I go snowboardig 4-5 times a year and moutain biking in the summer. So I have to traverse the dreaded i70. My cruiser does this at about 50mph and it strains and is uncomfy.
    So wondering if the 3.0 will do this trek ok.

Also, does the 4.4 sit lower than the 3.0? I ask this because I would like to take some light trails for the biking I do. I wouldn't like to have the bottom get scrapped.

Thanks all
  • scpowscpow Member Posts: 9
    Hi everyone.

Does anyone know how the dual exhaust system on the 2012 X5 35i is supposed to work? It seems that only one exhaust tip functions and the other is for show? I must be wrong, right? Can anyone enlighten me?
  • magilldinanmagilldinan Member Posts: 1
    I'm pushing 160K on my 2004 3.0 X5, it's had it's fair share of common issues over the years...but, what's ahead? I drive 30K a year and need "dependable", anyone out there north of 200K on their X5? Keep it or dump it?
    A reporter would like to interview anyone who has used Edmunds.com's Car Match.

Please email pr@edmunds.com by November 4, 2011 with your daytime phone number and a comment about your experience.
  • atlplayaxatlplayax Member Posts: 3
    Hello, anyone on the forum traded to an X5 from a 5series. I have a 2006 530i PP, SP and thinking of trading to an X5 for more utility while still retaining some of the driving quality of the 5 which I think the X5 offers. If you recently went from to an X5 from a 5 please let me know your experiences. Thanks
  • soonerbigdogsoonerbigdog Member Posts: 5
    I'm looking at a super sharp and obviously well maintained 2003 X5 4.4i with 140,000 miles. The price is good or I wouldn't consider a vehicle with such high mileage, and it drives as well as some of the much lower mileage X5's I've looked at. Am I buying a pig in a poke here, or might this vehicle be a good one given the fact that it's still running strong & smooth at this juncture? Any advice from you guys would be much appreciated
  • jrhhunterjrhhunter Member Posts: 8
    Have a BMW mechanic go over it carefully. I have a 2004 4.4 with 150k miles and it still runs fine. Be sure to check all operations of the sunroof, all the rubber boots on axles (I have replaced both up front), the window motors, and the front end suspension joints. The motor is one of the best, but the rest of the car may let the motor down... Good Luck
  • shweta2shweta2 Member Posts: 1
    Can you tell me whats wrong with my car?. I have a BMW X5 2001. Once in a while it vibrates when im on the break but recently it shuts down when im at lower speeds or on the break.I got new spark plugs as well as the engine fuel filter cleaned.Checked the breaks too.
  • philax5ownerphilax5owner Member Posts: 1
    I have never posted on a site like this before as I am not really a "car person," however over the weekend, my husband and I experienced a total shock. We received a knock on our door at 6:00 am Sunday morning to let us know that our 2009 BMW X5 Diesel caught on fire around 3:30 am, and that firemen had fought the fire and left. We came out to our car, burnt to a crisp (especially towards the front on the passenger side). A tow truck operator was the one that came to our door, and had been there during the episode with the firemen. They said they suspected it was an electrical fire.

I had no idea these things actually happened. We are really at a loss over what to do, we just feel lucky it was not sitting in a garage attached to our house, or that we were driving in it.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? When I called the BMW dealership, the service manager told me that "in my 20 years, I have never heard of this happening."
    Not a nice wake-up call. Glad it wasn't parked in the garage.

Car fires happen; thought the BMW reports were with the gas engines ones though.

raksgal, "Does BMW X5 Catch Fire and Burn by itself?" #1, 27 Jan 2011 11:24 pm
  • jrhhunterjrhhunter Member Posts: 8
    There is something odd about this story...It is hard for me to believe that you and your husband could sleep soundly through the sirens and mayhem surrounding your place when your X5 was burning up at 3am. Are you living in a high-rise or large complex?
    edited March 2012
    My wife and I were awoken a few years ago at 5 am by a sheriff's deputy banging on our door. Seems 200 acres of the BLM grassland behind my neighborhood was on fire and we had to prep in case we had to evacuate. They had set up a command center at my neighbor's house right next door an hour earlier. Once I woke up I could see the flames 100 feet away out the back window. There were probably ten fire trucks and 50 fire fighters in a one block area.

I also slept through a killer tornado one afternoon when I was a teen. The sirens woke me up about half an hour after the storm passed.

Makes perfect sense to me. :blush:
    "It's certainly more polished this time around with its mix of big cabin comfort, luxury trimmings, sporting performance, all-weather security and accomplished manners. The 2014 BMW X5 is slightly spoiled by the V8's lazy step-off and that flawed steering feel, but neither shortcoming is pronounced enough to dampen the average buyer's enthusiasm for it."

2014 BMW X5 xDrive 50i First Drive